Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: I do it, Sansy Cammar.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think we're all in hands in team Juice Bigelow the very shy to you know, and you have to ask me out.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Coome on it five minutes bout six Thursday morning. It's a Christian O'Connell show. I hope you well thanks to Johnny. It's good on in Patsy coome on in jackioy hie you guys. I'm good. This week, since we returned back from our break, I started a new part of my early morning routine, and that is five minutes of stretching, after realizing last week that I need to stretch every day. And the thing is, this is partly because I'm getting to fifty next year. I find stretching so uncomfortable and really boring. Do you do any stretching before you go to the gym? I hard you have to. I I give a quick sort of roll around on that phone roller like a seal, and then just sort of get up and get them on the main event. But I find it's so boring.
Speaker 4: So how you been going this week because I'm on a streak. You pitched it to the teable and said, guys, this is our new way forward. Now we all stretch for five minutes in the morning because I'm on day two.
Speaker 3: Now I'm on day four. Day four was hard today because whenever you start any new routine, there's a honeymoon period. Week feel like this is great, this is the new me. I'm becoming my actualized self, and they very quickly realize, oh God, what have I done this for? And you go. The honeymoon period evaporates very quickly. It's why people lose their news resolutions by before even the end of January. So this was day four this morning. This morning, I actually looked at the floor. I did the stretch on missus night. Oh God, am I really mister stretch now of your morning? Do I really have to do this? And I was thinking about the day ahead, and I've got thing tonight. I've got to go to almost looking for an excuse or a token where life would go, Oh, poor little Christian, what about thing tonight? No stretching?
Speaker 5: Fe I go?
Speaker 4: Do you have nothing to do with each other?
Speaker 3: One? So I threw myself down there and go on. I did my five minutes as well, so now I'm on a streak.
Speaker 4: The shortest morning routine I ever had was I read that lunges are good to do first thing in the morning because it uses the biggest muscle group. So if you get up and the.
Speaker 3: First thing you do big antabolic exercise, isn't.
Speaker 4: It you do some lunges and you'll demand your body to wake up.
Speaker 3: So how many were you doing?
Speaker 4: You have to do ten h side. Yeah, I threw up first morning. Ah, it's too much, and I never did it again.
Speaker 3: No, I rede A thing similar fad, which lasted two days, was that you need to do thirty seconds of vigorous exercise, so press ups, then pause for thirty seconds, then do thirty seconds of lunges, then do thirty seconds of like sit ups. Did that for two things. It was just like, it's hard enough to be a behalf for I don't need to be squeezing in a mini workout. I'd rather be slightly tired, right than have to go through this rigmarole.
Speaker 4: But stick with the stretchers.
Speaker 3: Seven days and it's suctually seven days streak now, so I'm sticking with the stretchers. So what I'm fascinated by routines right whenever. I listened to a lot of podcasts like Tim Ferris or there's a brilliant one called the Hueuberman Podcast as well, which is very very good if you are interested in trying to hack your sleep. There's a recent podcast by Andrew Huberman, who is a professor at Stanford University that is and he's a massive Have you seen him. He's like a shacked dude, but he's a really really wise guy. His podcast to Huberman one is very very good. The one about sleep is I must listen if you want to know more.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Tim Ferriss. Another one I was going to try was he said you have to eat thirty grams of protein in.
Speaker 3: The first thirty I did that for two years.
Speaker 4: It's really awake, so you're chicken out of the freeze.
Speaker 3: I used to I would I wouldn't. I'd make food the night before and then start having a meal at like half four, or I'd have scrambled eggs and I would feel terrible. I felt sluggish during the show. Tim Ferris, you suck it didn't work. Perhapsly, what early morning routines do you have.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't have a lot of early morning routines in there. I'm straight up out of bed, in the shower, off to work. But one thing I must insist before I leave.
Speaker 3: But you do really, because that is a sex.
Speaker 6: I don't have a coffee, No, not at home?
Speaker 3: You have one on the way in.
Speaker 6: I No, I don't. As soon as I get into work, I have it have a coffee, but I must before I leave the house. I've got a tuck Audrey back in and give her a kiss before I leave. And I don't feel right if I've left the house and I haven't done that.
Speaker 3: You're going to keep that going? So might she's twenty five breaking out to her house. Yes she's married. Now when you tuck her in, you're not thinking you know those horrible tucks you get into in a hotel room, hospital corner.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the movie Misery. You never need Moneadaddy Birdie.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much to Paul, who's just to emailed me keep stretching, Christian. I had a break from stretching same age as you while sit recently getting back into it now because I got cramped the other week while wiping my ass. This is what it is to reach this stage of life. We're wiping a bum bump could be hazardous. Actually, the humiliation, oh, the humidity. So Patsy, let's talk about them. What kind of routines you do when you're trying to go to sleep and even do you have trouble again? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I do switching off so I always religiously have for several years now. I've got to listen to a thunderstorm rain falling on a tin roof.
Speaker 3: It's very specific, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Or a guided meditation?
Speaker 8: Yes, I'll see.
Speaker 6: That just makes me want to go.
Speaker 5: To sleep down.
Speaker 3: This feels like there's a storm coming and I need to go and batter down that hatch. Wizard of Os.
Speaker 6: I had to put it on and I guarantee like a minute later I will I'll be out.
Speaker 4: This is how he put Gordon to sleep, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this kind of white noise to each have there. So you got a thing on the side of.
Speaker 4: His cop yes, yes, and through it's plugged in because if it goes off during the night way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they get used to it, don't you. Yeah, do you find it soothing. What do you do at nighttime?
Speaker 4: Sometimes if I can't get to sleep, I'll listen to what's called a twenty minute guided meditation for putting you into deep sleep. I just found on Spotify and the guy and he says, get into a comfortable position, let all the stresses from the day go away, and thank you for listening to this podcast and to keep the podcast running. We thank you our sponsors. What starts coming in to the build your website with Squarespace's Dad all.
Speaker 3: Big brands and fragrances Chemist where else. I listened to this and it's it's well on YouTube. There's loads of them. It's called a someone talked about this a couple of months ago. It's called yoga nider. It's a body guided meditation. It's so relaxing. The ladies called Alie Boothroyd. So she does a ten minute, one, twenty minute, one thirty minute one right. Her voice is so hypnotic. I've never got beyond one and a half minutes of any of them. I don't know what happens during them. I'm asleep. Listen to this.
Speaker 9: The mystery this is Alie and this.
Speaker 3: Is is she putting it on or is she like if you were like that in real life, you'd be really irritating, like you ring her and go, hey, you're coming out tonight. The crew's going out, Ali.
Speaker 9: Ali, This is Alie and this is a short. You're going to intra nap to reset turnerosystem vegan and she's exhausted.
Speaker 1: Look, Christian Connell Show Podcast.
Speaker 3: Anything we talk about in the show, even though we move on, it's never completely left head. You can always pick it up whenever you want and add your bit. We call it late to the party. Late all right, let's have a listen to some of your voice smails Hi.
Speaker 10: Christian hijack high pets Jack. With regards to your brown rice, we use it at our place to cook up meals for the dogs. We boil up the rice with some fresh veggies, about a cup each time and last for a week. I buy a two kilo bag of rice and that gets me about two months. Have fun with it.
Speaker 3: What's going on with that ten kilo bag of brown ride? It's still tenky.
Speaker 4: Also, I'm not going to cook out the dog dog food. The dog food out of the bag is.
Speaker 3: Fine for We had to once a niche our German shepherd wasn't very well. So the vector said, for a couple of days to come the old bum bum down. Just go rice, and he goes if you go, and his brown rice is cheap. And I made one, but all of this brown rice. She looked it and I walked off right. So then I made some white rice and she wolfed that down. Not even dogs that eat their own poop and vomit or go for brown rice.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to take us years to get through this bag. People actually have been tagging me this is the show, have been tagging me on stuff online that says that brown rice isn't even healthier. It'mith what, guys, brown rice still has the lecton on the out.
Speaker 3: I thought it was lectin free.
Speaker 4: No white rice is lecten free, and I don't know what lecton is, but.
Speaker 3: Keep me away from it. It's going to hurt my stretches, all right. Marnie's got some of about tattoos we were talking about the other day.
Speaker 11: Hi, Christian, it's many here. I heard you talking about tattoos on the radio. This morning, my twenty one year old son came home with the made in Australia logo tattooed on his butt cheek a green triangle with a gold kangaroo. I would expect nothing less from him, and he is obviously very proud to be Australian.
Speaker 3: Thanks, guys, what a country hashtag Astralia. That's why I moved here.
Speaker 4: All the classes tatoo's always gone a butt scheer. What do you think is the most sincere butt cheek tatoo?
Speaker 3: Actually we should try it not, you know, I don't want to find out. I do not want to see listeners backsides. All right, let's go to Paul.
Speaker 12: Good day, Christian. I'm Paul on country toff. Back in ninety two, I was taking the rubbish out for mum and the bag hit me in the leg and when I pulled the bag away there was a shard of glass stuck in my leg. I'll pulled the shard of glass out of my leg and ask Mum to pass me to sail and kick and I'll say that up myself because I had to say a bure of doctors. Yeah, I just went on once my day. I was currently bull riding saddle bront riding for six years after that.
Speaker 3: All of it. This is real country, tough sewed himself up with a sewing kit and then he's what is a broncho rider riding balls proper country tough, and then we go to this email. Christian listen to the show every day in the UK. We were on a holiday a couple of weeks ago and my husband was listening to David Abra Sirdavid aber on a podcast Life Stories on BBC Sounds, which is great. I've heard that lumberhold. My husband was on a sun lounger and all of a sudden he shot up and said, you've got to listen to this. David amber says broccoli roccali exactly the way that Patsy says procoli. So let's rewind it. This is Patsy. That's broccoli, isn't it. This is Sir David amber a spotted by Angela and her husband.
Speaker 1: David not coventioned broccolie, colliflowers and Brussels sprouts.
Speaker 3: Broccoli.
Speaker 4: Actually, if there's anybody in the world who are.
Speaker 3: Patsy, we owe you an apology. This is right. That's broccoli, isn't it, Sir.
Speaker 1: David not convention broccolie, their flowers and bustle sprouts.
Speaker 3: And the email says, here answer Christian, this is a wrongo tongue all over again. Now we all thought it was a rung a tongue. So David does a very different way of doing, and he knows he's met them. You might think that this irio to is.
Speaker 8: Wrong.
Speaker 3: Tongue is a You might think that this irio to is ho. This is great one fin or one? Then about country tot Christian, we're country toft Set the scene. A few years ago, my younger brother, father and I were out shooting one evening on our rural property when we noticed our ammunition was getting low. My brother decided be faster him to walk back for more ammo across the property. That would be for us to pack everything up and to drive. He asked to out off the electric fence. Keyword electric fence had been turned off, and my dad mumble, should be so my brother staid off on the wall. I'm this Dada's story. We're all this dandis story. A few minutes later, my my dad and I heard this shit followed by a very loud thud when we ran across the property. We've found him, obviously, missus his brother getting him off the ground at the point where the electric fences all intersect. This is also where the control unit is connected and produces the highest amount of current. Turns out, the dad had not turned the electric fence off and my brother had climbed over it. He got a shock to his hand which caused him to fall onto the fence and then get another shot to his nether regions through his gees as he fell. It's like two zapps. How's he is country tough? My brother got up, walked into my house, came back with them, and we went back to our shooting. To this day we still laugh about it, and that section of the fence has now been named in memory of this event. So I emailed amat go, this is a great story. What's it called. It's called old shit Corner. Should we should do a phone in maybe tomorrow about things that you've named, like old shit Corner, things that you've named? Thank you very much, sure, he emails Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot A. You will love them well.
Speaker 1: Christian o connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Every Thursday from seven to eight. We have no songs. You pick the songs, We picked the theme and you tell us what songs we should play. It's called the Naked Hour.
Speaker 4: Oh Christian, we've got no songs for the whole hour. Oh nick nig nig nick nake nag Naked hour, Naked Hour. Oh nick nake egg nag nag naked our Naked Hour.
Speaker 3: All right, then the theme this week from seven o'clock is family bands. So many great family bands. Which songs should be played? Nine four one four one oh four three Patsy, what do you fancy?
Speaker 6: Got to be in Excess? And the Farris Brothers anything in excess but Live Baby Live, anything off that album. I'm not fast because every single song was a hit.
Speaker 3: Well, that'd be nice if you could be fussed because the producers have actually got a song clip and also doesn't really work when we're setting something up if you go, we don't have the callers going I'm not really fussed.
Speaker 4: Don't mind whatever, you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Actually he's easy if you just pick all the music every day. Actually we don't want to work too hard coord now. If you can't be asked to pick a song no. Four one four one o four three h maybe this one? Yes, new Sensation? Yeah, I say you remember jump up you know.
Speaker 6: I bought that twice on the vinyl.
Speaker 3: Now now you're waking up to it, go and do some scratching like Jack and I. We're Lucy Goosey Where to Go?
Speaker 6: The first one I've actually worn out and I thought, no, I can't keep playing that because it's just so distorted. So I just bought it like recently at JB for the second time, and I'll probably wear that out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I still got I bought last year when I got a vinyl player Kick. I remember buying that as a kid. That album, it's such a brilliant album. When In Excess were just huge. Did you know about the way? So obviously it's the three brothers as Andrew, John and Tim Farris, Andrew and Michael Hutchins before it became in Excess. We're also in a band together called Dr Dolphin. O what band? We're never going to take off Doctor Dolphin Jackie Boy family band.
Speaker 4: I've gone for Nick sister and his younger brother Chris in Jet.
Speaker 3: I don't know they were brothers play band. This is a killer song. I'm gonna go with two sisters, so we're done with brothers at the moment. I'm going with two sisters, Anne and Nancy Wilson, first Ladies of Rock from Heart. Bizarrely, right when I was looking for something yesternight, I didn't realize I know there was Anne and Nancy Wilson right, and their hearts sold about thirty million albums worldwide over their years. There were also two brothers in the band, right, Mike and Roger Fisher, and they went out with the two sisters for a while. You know you have all these inter band relationships. I've never heard of two sisters dating two brothers in the band. What could possibly go wrong? It obviously all fell apart, But yeah, there were Mike and Roger Fisher were two brothers in the band that dated the two sisters in the band. Going no right anyway, great song, this is if you can be bothered.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: We need songs from you guys now after seven o'clock. The theme this week in our Naked Hour is family bands. Christian, you better play we can do, bash me up? Dennis. You better play Brothers in Arms for the for the not forli brothers, or you better run home to your mummy. Christian. I love this message here so we're talking about family bands. This is from David Bissell. This is just the message from David. The girl on the phone is not old enough. I had to explain who Bross were. Who are you employing children, Caitlyn, you do know who bros are? I bet you know who Bross are? All right, so let's get some calleders on there. If they could be fust at all, No, Patsy said, anything could be good. Lisa, come on.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Christian. I'm sorry, but there's no better family band than good Old Hanson and Bob.
Speaker 3: You're right, those freaky brothers great too. There slides riding. We have to play this, Lisa, thank you very much and go have a good day. We will stick on your song.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Who we got here? Patty? Yep, that's me, Patty, welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Hi, thank you my song Sister Sledge.
Speaker 15: We are family.
Speaker 3: Disco classic Yeah, Mine.
Speaker 16: And four girls.
Speaker 13: So it's always playing for our.
Speaker 3: I bet it's like your anthem yeah yeah in definitely every time we're together. Whenever we're yeah, if you're drinking, play our song, can imagine? Patty? Thank you very much, mate, thanks for calling.
Speaker 14: Thanks, have good day.
Speaker 3: Luke. Good morning, Luke, Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 10: Team.
Speaker 17: Got to go with a bit of the Beach Boys, the Wilson brothers, and I could toss up between Barbara and and Surfing USA, but take other one of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many great songs, Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson's amazing, amazing. Yeah, look, this is a great one. Thank you very much. Let's go to Pete. Good morning, Peter, Good morning guys. All right, so family band, what have you got? Promises? Baby, it's you, Leslie and Benny. Let's have a listen. Okay, do you know this one? But you don't know bron she's wigging out to this one. But man, Luke, you got no time for man. Luke goes really gets Peter going this one, bel Thank you, Peter. Peter brings the buzz, guys. Let's leaving them as to the buzz guy. Let's go from Catatonic Pete, Trisha, good morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 13: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm going, Trish and what have you got?
Speaker 13: I'm sorry it's actually trivia trivia being pedantic this morning.
Speaker 3: Please be pedantic trivia. Yes, lovely and what a lovely name. Very unique name. I never heard that name before. Have you just a little bit of Trivia's alright, just warming up? Okay?
Speaker 5: If I get so many different versions, that one's so and I'll add it to the repertoire.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what's the song.
Speaker 7: I'd have to be Staying alive by the beach? Sorry, bye, Bej's.
Speaker 3: Trivia. Brilliant band, So many great songs. Thank you very much. And let's go to Christina. Now, Christina Family Band, what song would you love to? Hello there, I would love.
Speaker 10: I believe in a thing called love by the Darkness.
Speaker 15: We got the Hawking's brothers.
Speaker 8: And their elder one, Professor Steven Hawkin on drums, Don lail, Yeah, brediant, bad, brilliant bad, Love the Darkness.
Speaker 3: That's a great one. Thank you very much. Christina.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Christian o'kyles show podcast, all.
Speaker 3: Right, kicking off this morn. Then we're looking for your falling stories. The producers here, because they're working radio, they get it if I say falling. They've got a little bit of audio. They found a song fall.
Speaker 4: I was going to go free falling me too.
Speaker 3: I'm stunned. I'm stunned.
Speaker 4: Pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's ready. All we need your stories. This is ready for you, guys. You call it and go. Christian, don't talk to me about falling. We are ready to go. Anthony Christian mind had probably one of the biggest falls you can have and survived many years ago. He's fitting a TV aerial on a three story building at the gable end.
Speaker 4: That's the pointy bit is that.
Speaker 3: The point like the keel or end of the wrong way. He was drilling the wall, lost his balance and came off the ladders, falling thirty feet. I was underneath at the bottom t and I steadied the I tried to catch my dad. I didn't manage. He sort of bounced off me, but they did at least arrest some speed. He hit a tarmac floor. He was left with two brain hemorrhages, broken knee camp and he went a kneemic through the bruising. The drill hit the floor so hard after him. It was eight milimeters solid suil drill. Bit is bent to a right angle with such an impact. My dad has made of hard stuff. Though after a month in a com he came out, was fine, went back to work. I went back the next day to finish off the job. As it was a family business. That's tough. In Christian, I was in the navy talk about falling. Two weeks before my wedding, someone left a hatch open on board a ship. Can we do a phone in one day about hatches? There was a hatch open on board ship. I wasn't paying attention and promptly fell down. The bottom was a valve missing, and the handle part was turned waiting for me. So as I landed, the sharp pointy bit went into my shin and penetrated my leg quite considerably. Off to the sick bay. I thought you'd be off the ship and off the sick bay, walked down the aar when I got married with a huge limp. All right, so we're looking for your falling stories.
Speaker 1: Falling the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, we're looking for your falling stories. I wait, there's more. The radio dream Team out there another one. Yeah, we got range, we've got options. We're good to go. Bases are loaded, guys nine four one four one O four three. You're falling stories, Ray, Good.
Speaker 13: Morning, good morning, how are you all?
Speaker 3: We're good, Ray, and I hope you're having a good week so far. So Ray, tell me about your story.
Speaker 13: I fell off the top of the garbage truck. I was up there trying to fix the safety switch, and when I fell, I hit the ground. Of course, everyone comes around. There's a look at me, and they've worked my silver brake to tabing me to keep me warm, and then they will wander off. Now I'm in the middle of a place where garbage is laying everywhere, trucks going everywhere. I thought I was going to get run over.
Speaker 4: They're going to put you in the back of the garbage trucks.
Speaker 3: Up there in your bakerfoil.
Speaker 13: Right there before. Don't do that because people just drive in. The trucks just drove in, and I'm laying under a silver piece of blanket garbage.
Speaker 3: What a fool though. All right, Ray, thank you very much. Wray, have a good day, Have a good day. Cheers Rape. Daniel, good morning, Well Christian, how are you going? Yeah, I'm good, Daniel. So your falling story.
Speaker 17: So we went away on a bit of a boys trip one weekend, and we had a few girls with us and a few beerbies and stuff like that, and we went fishing and decided this sort of show off a little bit and slipped thirty meters down on the embankment, going all the way down to the bottom through a massive, big BlackBerry uh Jason, And spent the rest of the night on my stomach with the girls picking BlackBerry forms out of my back with.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that sounds absolute agony. Yees, terrible, Wow rough Daniel, thank you very much, Kirl. Let's go to Anne, Marie.
Speaker 7: Good morning, guys.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're good and Marie? Did you fall?
Speaker 7: Yes? I did. I had left work and I entered some stairs to go to the under underground car parts to my car, and I slipped on something and went head first down the stairs.
Speaker 13: I broke.
Speaker 7: I dissicated my shoulder, fractured my humorous bone, tore the lining from twelve till three into the tendons off the bone.
Speaker 3: Twelve two three at the bottom there.
Speaker 7: Or twelve three, Yeah, the ligament, the lining in them.
Speaker 3: There's a lining in that, I can tell you in your arm. I didn't know there was a lining twelve to three. This sounds that basically, you're a mess at the bottom of the stairs.
Speaker 7: Yes, and got up and drove myself to hospital.
Speaker 3: Country to.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: Marilyn, good morning. What's your story for us? Oh?
Speaker 14: Good morning. I've got a couple of story where I fell over twice within ten days. First seeing I fell over my puppy, went to the doctor, and three days later and found I had a broken arm. Went with a broken arm and rode my bike in the city to help my son sleep, carrying water for him, and went head over the handlebars and ended up in hospital with two broken arms.
Speaker 3: Oh my, what a what a run you were having? I mean, can we just rewind it? So the puppy trips you over and you break your arm, that's it. That you with a broken arm is the best person to come along on a bike water and handing water with your good arm. Of course, so already this is a tab an idea, just waiting for another disaster.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So were you that person that you have to seeing movies? Were you're like a cast with both your arms permanently out there, like you're just desperate for hug.
Speaker 14: Something like that? Yeah, it was pretty funny. I mean, no, it wasn't funny walking around the two broken arms, but you know, it's some Yeah, that's how it happened.
Speaker 3: So what did you have to get someone like that to dress you every day, that must be a.
Speaker 14: Night man pretty much. Yeah, that was it. My left arm wasn't quite as bad as a rider, so I could do the personal care stuff, but I couldn't dress myself or wash myself. My daughter had to help me with all those things.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Man a very polite way, I refering to personal care stuff as well. I like that. Thank you, Marilyn. Thank you very much. You cool mate. Take care?
Speaker 14: Thank you? Okay, thanks well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Custom Mind bax to when you were sixteenth, right when you were sixteen, do you remember what you wanted? I wanted a motorbike in the UK at sixteen. And this is a crazy idea. They let sixteen year olds many boys, and you are a boy, you know, a young man at sixteen. You are a boy on a motorbike. Now it's a fifty cc motorbike, all right, but fifty cc means you've got at about sixty five ks. Now it's two speed. Too dangerous for a young boy anyway. That's what I wanted to chip in half and I got one. I thought, I basically thought, was that easy rider? Mean about six of my mates. We would all go out and the noise these things made. You could drill a hole in a certain part of the exhaust so it would get another like five k on it, but the noise was like e So we would just make all this noise going around. So anyway, my daughter was turning sixteen that my youngest one, Lois, and I said to her, I need some idea of what you want for your birthday next month. Now some idea intonates singular, doesn't it? Some idea? There's some ideas, some idea. Next day I get an email, first time I've ever had an email from my daughter, very formal. She said, Hey, Dad, I know you love me. Take a look at this, doesn't see ce Mummy goes for a soft touch. It's a PowerPoint slide of sixteen slice or potential gift ideas. So I think someone puts down for a wedding right for a wedding slide fifteen of sixteen is her bikini size with in big letters surprise me, Oh, I surprise you with none of this. How about a vernal presentation of how much money I've invested in you your prime education over the years and end of slide show.
Speaker 4: That's it sixteen things you should already be grateful for.
Speaker 3: I mean the kudos for the lie I was part of me was like the boldness if I went to my dad technology want that he would I wouldn't even bother going with a slide show. But also the boldness of actually risking to say, hey, you wanted an idea sixteen slightest And there's all these links to click through to go to the right page to order this stuff. It must have taken ages to put together. Did you see it, Pats?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think it grows. It shows great maturity to be honest. I think she's done a lot of research and it's like, you know.
Speaker 3: She's low schoolwork turns of research that has gone into it.
Speaker 6: I mean, who knows what she wants? And I love that.
Speaker 3: Sixteen slides what she wants? What did you? What do you guys want? When you were sixteen? So it was a motorbike for.
Speaker 4: Me, I wanted an electric guitar and it was mostly about the image as well, you having the easy rider aage. I had just watched the movie Almost Famous, Oh Not. It was coming up to my year nine camp and I had this picture of me coming off the school bus holding my electric guitar case in the same way that the band comes off the private jets in almost famous.
Speaker 3: The long hairs blowing in the wind.
Speaker 4: But I had to wait till my birthday. The camp was in July. My birthday was in November. I was like, please let me have it early. You don't know how important it is. I walk off this bus.
Speaker 3: With the electric about that scene. Did you get it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I got I got on my birthday.
Speaker 3: Didn't get to do the walk off the What did you want to six?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Mine looks pretty dorky.
Speaker 3: Let me get the typewriter do the new My god, it.
Speaker 6: Was no, I'm not I want to murder, she wrote. I look like a loser, but I here you do. I desperately want to just doing that.
Speaker 3: At sixteen eight o'clock.
Speaker 6: I was doing it then, but looking not just any typewriter. I wanted an IBM type.
Speaker 3: All of those. That's one of the early electric ones.
Speaker 6: We had them at school.
Speaker 3: They were a bit.
Speaker 6: I would still get one if I saw it in a garage sale. Now, if anyone's got one.
Speaker 3: Let's do the news for us microprocessor.
Speaker 6: It was great, but that was on my least that's a bit said.
Speaker 4: Did you get it? No, never got it.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: This week on the show, we've been hearing these extraordinary they really are. They're extraordinary stories of hope and survival of your cancer journeys. We're doing this for Cancer Counsel Victoria because sadly, one in two of us will have a cancer diagnosis and that is too many. Let's change our chances. Donate to Cancer Counsel Victoria and fund life saving cancer research. So we stayed. This week, we've been hearing a story of hope. Sometimes you're hearing stories about what helped people and they want to thank people and dedicate a song for them. And also so many stories we've heard this week start with Patsy's on Monday of actually in a horrendous situation what it actually gave you for what it took away, what it gave you a lesson or something from it that's changed your life the other side of it. This story is another amazing one. It's from Linda Lomer. She's forty three and at the age of twenty four, Linda was diagnosed with a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that only occurs in females. In the early twenties.
Speaker 18: When I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, my specialist told me not to google pancreatic cancer. Thank god I didn't, because prognosis is poor and there's only a five percent survival rate for more than five years. I had to have surgery to remove it. Your pancreas is well into your body, so it's pretty much close to your spine. So in order to get to it, they had to take out all my organs, pack them with ice, and get to my pancreas and remove the tumor. And then once all the tumor was removed, they put everything back together and stitched me up. I was in hospital for three weeks. I was in intensive care for the first week. It was pretty pretty hard. Mum and Dad were there every day, My sister was there every day. Husband was there every day. One person that really sticks out was a nurse at Peter Mack. Her name was Claire. She was beautiful. She would come in and she would wash my hair for me, and she was just amazing. I'm grateful for the people that I've met along the way. You know, the amazing bond I have with my sister and her husband, being able to live life and enjoy it and do things that unfortunately many people don't get to do. It blows my mind. I don't know anyone that suvied pancretic cancer, and I probably know about ten people that have had. If I had to tell anyone what I'd learned from my experience, it would be to trust your instincts, know your body. If you feel like that something's not right, go and get checked out. If you're not satisfied with what you've been told, seek alternative advice. The best thing you could do is demand answers before it's too late.
Speaker 3: And what a lovely side story as well about the amazing work I hear from so many about the staff that Peter Mack do is incredible call of weeks ago as asked to do something for some of the teams there, and they are under so much pressure right now. You know. We hear about people having burn out a lot. They're under so much pressure right now, huge strange them. So to hear that lovely nurse, whoever you are, do you want to know what that is? Claire at Peter Mack, just that simple, lovely, small act of kindness washing somebody's hair in a tough situation. Thank you very much all the stories. If you've got any more Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Carl a brighter you're listening to the Christian o'carl show podcast.
Speaker 3: My wife got a phone call yesterday from one of our more mature neighbors and she couldn't turn off some kind of alarm that was going off very noisily on her oven. So my wife goes to Reddit phrase I'll send my husband christians here, I'll send him around And I'm like, what don't do that? Gave an actual grown up? What the hell am I going to do? Hear my wife, I don't know how to turn an alarm off for that old lady's.
Speaker 4: Oven, especially other equipment that's not your own. I have to run your own house, but to go in an unknown piece of equipment anyway, My wife goes.
Speaker 3: Get around there now. She was speaking to her aerrwan child, get around the now, okay. So I beat around there. She's I'm very sorry for disturbing you. I just can't feel so embarrassed. No, no, no, it's Okay, I'm looking at this thing and it's making this awful noise. You know what life now is surrounded by these alarms of things going off. If you've got like an alarm on, you're like your washing machine goes off, really needy and empty, empty. Yeah, everything you're when you're parking your car now those beepers. Anyway, this thing's going off, and it's so hard. I was finding it very hard to concentrate because there was this strange alarm going off every couple of seconds. I was trying to think what to do, and I was like she was watching me as well. When someone's watching it, you think this is really too much pressure. All I start to do is this, and then I'm twisting the various sort of settings, like that's the temperature one. I gave you three of the temperature ones, like this is a well known hat three to left, eight to right habit.
Speaker 4: That always works cracking a safe.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so I even at one point got up to it and rattled you know, the old Ratley rattler sometimes that rattles something like confuse into place. Nothing. This thing's thrown off, and she's now looking really really upset that the only hope is me as well. I'm now starting to sweat, and I'm like, I can't leave this old lady in this thing. I need to. In the end, what I did to try and turn it off was I worked out where the main supply was right and just said I said to her, I feel so bad, leave it for an hour.
Speaker 17: For all I know.
Speaker 3: She still sat with that off and off. I said, leave for an hour. We're going to do but it stopped the noise. I was hired with one job.
Speaker 4: She pulled the plug out.
Speaker 3: That's the matter, she said, turn the alarm off. Alarm turned off.
Speaker 4: This is perfect. It will never be again. You just can't use it as you're.
Speaker 3: Going to have to move out of this house now, okay, old lady, So this morning I want to know I couldn't turn it off. What story have you got when you couldn't turn something off? And many years ago, when I was a teenager, we moved into a new house and my dad wanted to grow some vege and stuff like that, which he did do was tasted disgusting in the garden. So we hired this rotary tiller the soil. Yeah, so he had to go and hire it. He didn't know how to use it, okay, And so it was like one thing, you know, the old you pull that rip cord, bigger, Yeah, but this thing happened blaze and it basically chued up the ground. Okay, So my dad obviously thought we just ripped that to start it. Do you even think, well, how are you going to stop this thing? Once he got going, it moved you, right, You weren't moving it because it has one job just to to joochoo choo choo choo, and you steer it. And then when you want it not to chew too choo choo choo, you press some much which my dad hadn't wanted to look at. Right, So it started next thing, I know, this whole noise. So Chris, this thing is going like he's he can't, there's no more soil, it's all been done. He now panics, and it's a big old thing to stick. It cracks into the neighbor's fence, and Dad's now chewing out the neighbor's God and I then run along sign and now trying to work out where do I put my finger to try and turn this beast out beast off. Another fence panel got taken out.
Speaker 1: The Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Christian, what couldn't I turn off? I couldn't turn off? An adult movie where my fiance surprised me one day. I was like a stunned by the headlights. I bet you were, I bet you were, Sir. Someone's hacked it. This must be the off to state to breach, all right, So what couldn't you turn off? Nine four one four one o four three? Just into a good morning?
Speaker 15: Good morning, Christian co how are.
Speaker 3: You just into? What didn't you turn off?
Speaker 15: This is a famous story in our family. So it happened.
Speaker 19: I've been married to my husband more than twenty years, and it happened before we actually met. And it was a story that his family told me to warn me off because you know, he may be not such a good choice.
Speaker 15: So apparently they had a family meal at Sizzler. It's not something that's around anymore.
Speaker 19: I don't know.
Speaker 15: You guys know what a sizzler is. You can oh, you can eat. Yeah, that's right. So Scottie went up to.
Speaker 19: The dessert bar where there was the soft served ice cream. You know, help yourself. So he turned it on, but he didn't know how to turn it off, and he took like about three bowls worth of ice cream, and he didn't know what to do, so he just walked away and left the ice cream go.
Speaker 3: It was still churning out delicious teeth based just pouring out all over the council of the.
Speaker 15: Foot exactly walked back to the table and they said, who's going to clean it up? And he goes on, I don't know.
Speaker 17: I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 15: I didn't know how to send it off. So we still talk about that. You know, Christmas dinner easily gets brought up his birthday.
Speaker 3: I think all families have got that one golden oldie, haven't they? That story that oldiers gets more and more polished like a fine gemstone sent to Thank you very much for sharing yours. Thank you, Joe, Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 11: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Joe. What couldn't you turn off?
Speaker 20: When we first bought our first home, my ex husband and I did the renovations ourselves. He was very handy, and about nine months after read fastering the hallway, we could not turn off a constant beep, just spasmodic beep that was driving us insane. And after a considerable amount of time and losing our minds. I think we started bashing.
Speaker 16: Holes in the past. He put the fire alarm behind the.
Speaker 20: Plaster when he read down the hallway, and the bloody thing had run out, run out of batches.
Speaker 3: And only ever go off normally at nighttime, the moment you go to sleep, those that beat starts, doesn't it the moment the lights go out.
Speaker 4: But I've heard of like pasting over cracks, passing over old painted walls, but plastering over a smoke a las.
Speaker 3: They're quite large round things, aren't they.
Speaker 20: And we checked everything, We turned every we smashed every It was literally driving us insane.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that is kept bashing till we found it.
Speaker 3: I can imagine the scenes. Joe, Joe, that's a great story. We'll send your price. Where do you want to go? Do you want to go and see Crowded House? Or you can have Villa Cinema's Gold class double bass up to you love to.
Speaker 16: See crewdit House, Big fairs.
Speaker 3: Great? Off to Rod Laverena next month. Enjoy. Thanks Joe, that was great. Let's go to Alan.
Speaker 16: Hello are you?
Speaker 3: We're good? Ad? And I hope you won't having a good week. Thanks to cool on the show. So what couldn't you turn off? Uh?
Speaker 5: Well question in mine's a very embarrassing story.
Speaker 21: I was a young constable driving to a crime scene with my partner in the car, and when we got to the crime scene with lights and sirens going, I couldn't turn the siren off because there was a plastic dial and I was to turn it off and he actually broke so it was just spinning in it in its place. So, I mean, it sounds funny now, but I turned up that we turned up the crime scene. We're attending to what's going on to detect this turn off because it's rather serious.
Speaker 16: And one of the teacher said, who's cana and I said it's actually mine. They said turned it off. I can't and they said you're gonna have to leave because we can't concentrate to leave the crime scene.
Speaker 5: Around days a serious job than this, I don't know lock of people serious.
Speaker 16: So I actually drove away and the worst part was at the station with all sirens going and people getting out of my way. That's an emergency and so we got back there and even my safe besides, you can't so turned me alive? Turn off? I couldn't turn it off. We just couldn't turn it off.
Speaker 5: So we're just two in our ears because it was so damn loud and this connect the battery because even turned me the car off. Honestly, four hours after them, I just could not get this sirens down out my hand.
Speaker 3: And Alan, are you still in the police now?
Speaker 5: No, I'm from the police now.
Speaker 3: Alan, We're going to give you a choice. Surprises too.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Alan, what do you want to go? You can go to a credit house or gold double class. What would you like?
Speaker 5: Gold double pass will be amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, Adam, brilliant story, Thank you very much well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: The Awesome. Max Gorn is opening his first restaurant named Motor. It's a I'm reading here from the press release. It's a fire powered restaurant with a wine bent a fire this flame grilled kind of you know, meat.
Speaker 4: Running the lights and stuff off.
Speaker 3: Or is it in a firehouse. It's got a room at the back there. I don't know Motor restaurant's name. Both say two hundred bottles strong European leaning wine collection and signature dishes like a half frozed chicken lapping in a French brown chassel source.
Speaker 4: Now, as a d supporter, how do you feel about this? Because running a restaurant is a busy.
Speaker 3: I'm good to say it, right. I mean, look, if we'd have won the flag again and we were building up that dynasty. Sure, running a restaurant is a busy enterprise. No one is going, hey, how about you get Brody Grundy to come and help out here so I can do a couple of shifts at my restaurant. We should go along, all right? So today the time waster is food. Celebrities. Make a celebrity into a food kick it off, It's so obvious. Not Max Pawn, Oh I had Max Corn Gold Grounds, Yes, star of forty Towers, John Cheese Gold notorious blt. He's a rapper and he's a bacon. Letters to my town. Stephen King sized snickers, What is it? Stephen King signs Snickers and a little fun ones fun ones silver, half the fun but double the funny. Ex. Benedict Cumberbatch bust of Limes. He's buster of limes.
Speaker 4: That's gold when I am when I am Silver.
Speaker 3: And Florence and the poutine, Florence and the poutine, Silver lovely those chips Jack, what you got their food? Celebrities Soup Dog Functional getting laugh from the episode goes up to Gold.
Speaker 4: Oh, Iron Man's opened the bakery, Robert Brownie Jr. Silver, Red Pitt.
Speaker 3: You're gonna swear a bit more than that, you know, spread.
Speaker 4: Leo, Nacho DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: Now that's god. That's more like it.
Speaker 4: And the greatest soccer player of all time Peals No Penny.
Speaker 3: No Rons Bronz. Are you ending on that one?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 4: What else have I got?
Speaker 3: Mexico Max Brawn, This is queen crazy to think good Love four point three eight forty eight. Christian O'Connell show, Turn Out of Mark, Today's Time Waster, Celebrities as food, Best in Show wins, a unidem security camera, a spotlight All in one, Dawn French Fries, Broton's Leon Sanger Gold. That is someone named a business that right? Your toast Leon Sanger mc hammer and Cheese Toasty. Oh yeah, oh yeah, it's all making sense now, Scarlet you hamsoon my don Tony j Nellie Ftata Gold, These are so good, Johnny deep Fry Yeah, Silver past Rami Malik. Yeah, that's very smart. Well Simon, Michael Jackfruit bron Michael Bubble and Squeak, Michael bubleron, Crisp Pratt gold. Enough of these eleven year old Elliott and Samantha who's six? Okay, you're grown up, we know. Mashton Kutcher gold, Tom Shanks silver plus Brand Pitterbread. Let's leave the Young silver, Spaghetti white silver plus Flapjack post.
Speaker 4: Oh, was the first time I've ever been made it?
Speaker 3: You made it gold, Jim Curry bron. Now you've literally done nothing with the Cod Stewart gold, Whoopy Iceberg Letters gold, Alicia Keish silver plus, Crispia O'Connell. We both make it it too lazy. God, it's so exciting still being Building List. I'm not sure I get this one right. Maybe you guys do. David Beckham on toast, Ham on toast, David Beckham on toast it's not even don't know what am on toast? No, No, Janet ol Cappuccino silver and Brittany Asparagus bronze. All right, who is best in show? Who's winning the go at?
Speaker 4: Your Hamson?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, well done, Tony spin doctors two Princes on gold one I four point three it's the Christian O'Connell show. Let's talk about tomorrow's show Friday today, Yes, all right, tomorrow's show today. So many great stories we moved on, but we will be moving back into it tomorrow because they weren't incredible. Alan as a police constable who couldn't turn off the siren of his own police car. I couldn't turn it off. If you have any more stories of those, we want to go back in tomorrow. The soft serve machine that wouldn't be turned off, we want more of these tomorrow. I couldn't turn it off. Things you've named, we heard an amazing story about a young brother. It's electrocute on a fence. It's now known as oh shit corner, that part of a field they named it. Sometimes we do this in life. You have names for things. What have you named? And it's Friday before I tell you this one? It's Friday. Everything changes on a Friday. We're all in a different mood. You might feel like, I'm not sure about that. That's because you're in a Thursday mood. Friday tomorrow very differently. You might be open to cooling up and telling us the story about what was in your mouth. What was in your mouth? Are you really doing this? First week back? All right? So I couldn't turn it off. Things you've named and what was in your mouth? Thanks for listening. Huggies on the way A brighter
Speaker 2: Not you're listening to the Question o'carl's Show podcast