Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: On the show right now, taking your questions next dot to Justin Coulson from Channel nine's Parental Guidance if you've missed it finished this week, but it's all a bit of a watch on demand on nine now, Doctor Justin, you good to take some calls?
Speaker 3: Now, let's play. Okay, I like that, Andrew.
Speaker 4: Good morning morning Christian.
Speaker 3: All right, what is your question for Dr Justin Colson this morning?
Speaker 4: Morning, Doctor Justin. I have a quick question. I've had preteen. Tony's twelve years old, and he is fairly well defiant, Like, for example, you know, no matter what you say to him, well, he will basically try to catch her out on the technicality on anything like if you give him, if you try to take his screen time away, if you like his technology time, He'll jump from one device to the next and try to catch you out at every earn to sort of get your own way. I don't know if there's a better way to put that question.
Speaker 1: It's exhausting. You got when you've got kids that know everything, won't listen, just want to live their own lives, and you think, hang on, you're part of a family. Here, we're part of a conversation about how to get things done. So I reckon there's a couple of things going on in circumstances like this. First off, imagine your relationship with your kids like a bucket, and you can have one of two things in the bucket. You can have air, which is pointless, or you can have water. So the water is connection, the air is correction and direction. And most of the time when parents come to me with these kinds of challenges, especially with those sort of tween to early teen years, what's going on is we're walking around with buckets full of air. There's no water in there. That is, we're constantly giving our kids correction and direction, and we're not actually spending time in connection. It's like, hey, mate, you need to do this. Why haven't you done this? I asked you to this fifteen times. What's going on with you? You never listen to this? That get off your damn screen. I'm sick of talking to you about this. And so correction and direction becomes the the foundation of our lives and as adults, if we were in a relationship with someone that just constantly told us what to do all the time, we kind of stopped listening, and we'd look for any opportunity to get away from the person constantly correcting and directing. Therefore, what I would suggest for any parent who's got any kind of antagonism in their relationship with their kids is go back to basics. Like when they were little, we never told them what to do.
Speaker 3: We just loved them.
Speaker 1: We'd get on the floor and roll around them and play and connect, connect, connect. But the older they get, the less of that we do, which means that we keep on taking water out of the bucket. I'd be looking at things like Saturday mornings, let's go for a walk down to our favorite cafe and buy a chocolate milkshake and talk with no agenda. Go for a camp once a month or every once a term or something like that, just for a night or two nights. Go overnight camping. Look for ways that you can connect. Go for a bike ride, walk the dog, go and kick a footy, throw a netball, whatever it is that you and your kids do. Get that sort of stuff going, and then over time, I mean it's taken twelve years for the relationship to deteriorate to where it is. It's not going to reinstate itself within twelve minutes of connection. But if you sit down and watch a funny movie and talk about all the all the funniest lines, you do that consistently for three weeks, four weeks, six weeks, twelve weeks, and all of a sudden you can sit down and have a proper conversation where you say, hey, buddy, we're still having a whole lot of fights about this and that. What do you reckon we should do? And and all of a sudden he's happy to hear you because the relationship is more connection rather than correction and direction.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, awesome, sound much fun. Yeah, it sounds like a big starting point like it's been a it's been a struggle.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 5: It's really hard made. But I love that, doctor Johnston. I think the difference between connection direction. You're right so many times in that flashpoint you will go towards direction. Don't do this, do that, or think that was actually when you step back, and it's so hard when it's all going so quickly. And I've been in that situation at you and Andrew, where there's so much smarter, way smarter than we were at twelve, and you're right. When they start applying logic back to you, I actually get overwhelmed. I actually don't know what to say. You need to take five minutes out sometimes to say, look, I just need to slow everything down.
Speaker 3: It's just too much. They're overwhelming you, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Dear, that's definitely damn these kids.
Speaker 3: I'm going to call my book. I think that's quite what doctor Justin was saying.
Speaker 5: Wow, it's what this doctors said Street doctor Android, Thank you very much, Cool Justin.
Speaker 3: That was really good. I love the stuff about.
Speaker 5: Connection and direction, I think, and there'll be a lot of mums and dads that have got something from that.
Speaker 3: We got to have for one more Melissa.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Oh, good morning to doctor. I just had a question regards my teen daughter. I'm just trying to work out how how do I go about speaking to her about age appropriate dress. Given their teenage, girls see.
Speaker 4: A lot of.
Speaker 6: Inappropriate probably for their age clothing on TikTok and Instagram and things like that, so normally issues as well, but I'm just trying to say what can I say?
Speaker 1: Well, So, as a father of six girls and having raised four teenagers already, I feel your pain.
Speaker 3: That's the first thing those kids. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The second thing that I want to say, and I think it applies to all of us as parents. And I don't know whether you were like this or not, but I hear a comment like that, and I think, what was I like when I was a teenager. I don't know if you ever gave your parents a bit of a hard time about what you were and weren't allowed to wear. But as I think about what you've said and what Andrew our previous callers said, sometimes I think it's hard to parent than me out of my kids, yes, because they're just doing so much of what we did and so much what all the other kids are doing now. In terms of this specific conversation around dress, the first thing that I want to suggest is it's really hard to do this, but sometimes we've just got to beable as parents. We want to be able to say to our kids, I'm getting upset about this, but my upset isn't.
Speaker 3: What really the problem is.
Speaker 1: So whenever we get angry, it comes Anger is a secondary emotion, It comes from somewhere else, and the main places that it comes from when we're parenting, there are others, but the main two places it comes from are either fear or sadness. In this case, I don't think that it's sadness so much. I think it's probably fear. And what would it sound like if you said to your daughter, sweetheart, I am I don't know how to say this properly, but I am I'm terrified of seeing my little girl growing up and wearing these kinds of clothing because of what it means. I mean, if you could be that vulnerable with her and sit with her and hug her and say, I'm losing my little baby girl. You're getting so big and I'm scared about what that means, and then you can step into this really nice conversation which kind of goes back to what I was saying a little bit earlier in the show with Christian. These three ease of effective discipline where we explore, we explain, and we empower. We say, so, why is it that you want to wear this stuff? And here's what I'm concerned about. What do you think we can do to find a level where we can both feel good. You can feel like you look hot or whatever it is that your look, but I can feel satisfied that you're protecting your virtual modesty or whatever it is that you're trying to instill in her from a value's point of view, that counsation. I mean, I'm not going to guarantee that you're going to get a perfect outcome, but it's going to be much more successful than for crying out loud. I've told you a thousand times stop wearing those clothes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, help, does that make sense?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's very good. Thinks so much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a question. We have a lot at the Momentissa, I feel for you. Thank you very much, according and hope.
Speaker 4: Thank you all right.
Speaker 3: This has been brilliant to Justin Coleson.
Speaker 5: If people want to find out more, obviously they can go on nine now and watch Parental Guidance, which I highly recommend it.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant.
Speaker 5: Where else can they find You'll find out more about what you've been talking about. I love the stuff about connection before direction. Where can they find out more?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Thanks Christian. I'm on Facebook. Dr Justin Courson's Happy Families. We've got the number one podcast in the country. Dr Justin Courson's Happy Families for parenting and family stuff and my website Happy families dot com dot you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Going to lauch my own parents in one today called damn those kids. I like the family.
Speaker 5: That is this show really, doctor justin thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 3: You've been great this morning. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Awesome to be with you. Thanks so much. Brighter Now you're listening to the Christian O Carl's Show podcast