Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance fun even on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we get the team together and celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community today, Mis Just Greegie is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from our community with you. Miss beck Sayed is going to be sharing her broke tips, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about what to do when you find out your colleague is doing the same job as you, but is getting paid more to do it and something that you slid into our DMS about this week, we're talking about whether you should ask your partner to stop going to the bank of Mum and Dad.
Speaker 2: Happy Hallowekend, Happy Halloweekend. That's the theme. Absolutely, it is.
Speaker 5: I've never heard that before. That's clever.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's it. It's a big un mate. I didn't know what was the thing. It's my wedding anniversary. Yeah, we can what secret. It could great either way because some people celebrated last weekend because this obviously Halloween this week is in the middle of the week, so it's take your pug.
Speaker 4: Jess has just been like both, yeah, absolutely, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: In not so spooky news, what is my wedding anniversary this weekend? And I'm so excited about that two years. But get this, you guys are gonna be like, sorry, what the hotel that we got married at. We were like so excited because we thought this is going to be lame, but we could like go for a stay k on our anniversary and as our family grows, like take take the kids and stuff. So we had booked this stayk for a couple of nights at the hotel that we got married at, and we were so excited to take Carvey. And then they called us and said they don't accept children at the hotel anymore.
Speaker 5: What I say, I haven't.
Speaker 4: I don't know what if anything happened, but they were like, yeah, you can't bring your kid, and I'm like, my kid is nearly eight months old. I will not just be like leaving him at home.
Speaker 2: Oh we're not going. We're not going. We're just gonna hang out. It's fine. But you know when you're just.
Speaker 5: Like, that's so strange.
Speaker 4: Rue. Also, I want to know what happened that made you ban kids in general.
Speaker 2: You just know that someone's kid was like running up the whole way, smearing shit on the walls or like something extreme. Yeah, because if it wasn't like fair enough, if it was a kid free hotel to begin with, like an adults only remember I have my wedding there, get the kids everywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm really curious to know.
Speaker 2: I just need to know the goss. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Anyway, moving on, we have some new five star reviews. Guys, who was just three cheek do you want to start us off this week. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: My one is from Kate cute name, and she said, I love this podcast so much. It has taught me so much about money that I wish I knew years ago. I love you so much better late than never. Highly recommend you. It is so sweet.
Speaker 4: I was in Spotlight yesterday and I met one of ow she's on the Money community members, and I looked like a bogan. I was wearing my socks and my birken stocks together I call them burken socks, and I was buying embroidery thread and did not look my best and she.
Speaker 2: Was like, Hi, what are you embroidering?
Speaker 4: I saw it on your and making Santa sacks. Also, I really like you know how online. I don't know if anybody else is as chronically online as me, but I've seen a lot of girls buy like jeans that have like little flower embroidery patches on their like jean backs and pockets and stuff, and I think it's so cute and they're so expensive, and I'm like, can't be that hard?
Speaker 2: Could you do it? I could do it myself.
Speaker 4: And thread, like colored thread is like a dollar fifty each, So I was like this could be me. And also I have ADHD, so that's my current hyperfixation.
Speaker 2: That's my hobby.
Speaker 4: I'll probably have a new one in two weeks. Thank you great.
Speaker 5: Well, before you get there, can you embroider me some jeans?
Speaker 2: I would? Yeah, let me learn first.
Speaker 4: I mean I have done embroidery before, but like, let me just brush up on my skills and then you let me know what you want and I'll.
Speaker 2: Do it for you perfect, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: I want to know what's your five star review that you're going to share this week?
Speaker 2: Beck?
Speaker 5: Okay, so this one comes from Brook. Brook says, I'm absolutely loving this podcast. It's all I want to listen to twenty four to seven. I appreciate the way Victoria Devine explains complicated and confusing in brackets for someone with no financial background subjects in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Thank you so how nice is that?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for this amazing resource. Fabulous she's on the Money team.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: Also, there's like seven hundred plus episodes, so we can be in your ears all the time. Also, I wouldn't wish that upon anybody like.
Speaker 2: That's fair if you want it, but maybe you don't want it.
Speaker 4: Also, I mean, thank you for the five star review. I really appreciate it. But there are a lot of other good podcasts. My favorite one is Morbid. You should like mix it up a little bit because only wanting to listen to this girl.
Speaker 5: She's only human.
Speaker 4: True, it's true, It's true. I have one though. This one's from Marie Kim. She says, love the empowering energy. I'm a long way from being a millennial. My thirty something daughter put me on too, She's on the Money. But I figure it's never too late to learn about money and finance. It's so true, so right. Financial literacy is so important for men, and no matter what age you are or what your current knowledge level is, this is a fantastic podcast. Lifelong learning is the key that is so cool. Cur Hi, Everyone's welcome. I feel like you guys might have noticed we have been moving away from the Hello, We'll welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials. Yeah, because I'm like, our community is so diverse. Yeah, like, And over the last what six months or so, we've been like the podcast that makes personal finance fun. And I think that that's really like, it's important to point that out as well, because we're not just for millennials, like, we have so many younger people and also so many older people, like we have women in their seventies. And I think we had a message what was it like a couple of months ago, and they said, my grammar, who's eighty one, listened to your podcast and thought it was really fun.
Speaker 2: No, I was that cool? Iconic? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: It's probably an untapped retiree market we could get in retirement.
Speaker 2: Not much yet, but hopefully soon. We're working on it. You know.
Speaker 4: Let's go on to the money wins from our community this week, Jess, what are you bringing to the table wearing a witch's hat?
Speaker 2: Oh bridy. Firstly, this week I have went from Holly who said, because if she's in the money's recommendation to build an emergency fund. For the first time ever, I was able to pay an unexpected three hundred dollars bill that popped off with cash instead of putting it on my credit card.
Speaker 4: Is so cool and you're not just staying out of debt. How good does it feel?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Holy moly, I've got the cash for that, And that's that's me changing my money story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and seeing people We're getting around Holly on the thread, which was we love to see it. Next, I've got a money win from Lauren, who said I told my boss that I was working on saving some money to buy some new furniture, and she offered me an extra twelve hour shift to pick up.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you you that that's a photo of a truck that was taila he had.
Speaker 2: No break let. Next, I've got a money win from Katie, who said she recommended our fabulous celebrant to two couples who we know, who both ended up booking her for their wedding. The celebrant ended up sending us a hundred dollars restaurant vout chat. I so a thank you. That's it's so sweet go out for dinner on us.
Speaker 4: You're a new couple and probably spent all your money on your wedding anyway.
Speaker 2: I was just like, so thoughtful and sweet. Next, I've got a money win from Sarah, who said she saved ten grand off of their new shed build just by getting an extra quote. She said she usually gets three, but this time around, she just ended up getting four, and the last one that came in was ten thousand dollars cheaper than all others, more than you think.
Speaker 4: See, I need to go get some driveway quotes there you go, Yeah, because like ours came in and I was like, absolutely not. And so right now I have like a derelict front yard because we've started demolishing. And then we realized that the quotes that came back, I was like, I am not willing to pay that expended absolutely not, yeah, but just exorbitant. Like I know that putting in a new driveway, it's not going to be a cheap yest. Yeah, but like, don't take the mickey, you know, sure, I'm not going to play with you. If you're not going to play nice chop around.
Speaker 2: Well, I suggest at least four at least for Sarah's recommendation. So there you go, orrib what else have you got? And lastly, this week, I've got a money in from Maddie who said a brow salon that she's visited in the past posted on the Instagram story because they had a couple of free slots for a brow and lash appointment if you were happy to be a content model because they needed it for the Instagram tape. Pics at any time. Absolutely so Maddie swooped in, snagged a booking and saved herself one hundred and twenty bucks one hundred and twenty dollars because I guess it was a free She's going to retreat so expensive. Do you guys remember Beck, You're probably going to be like nah, never when like a full set of nails was like thirty dollars crazy? Do you remember when you used to get them.
Speaker 4: Like in like end of high school, like thirty bucks and you get there these chunky, aresycrylics terrible? You know the ones, the really thick wide Yeah, or they sound so like they were thirty dollars. Yeah, they'd be like how much now plasticky? Oh you're paying like seventy dollars at least to get stuff nowadays black material. And I mean we live in like what's central Melbourne, so like it might be less out of Melbourne, but like it's I'm not saying it's not worth it, like absolutely not, Like still pay your nail text they deserve it. But at the end of the day, like just remember when things didn't feel as so, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why I do my nails at home because.
Speaker 4: I do my nails at home as well, and I love it, but I do pay for my brows and lashes. It's not something I'm willing to mess around with. We all know i'd mess it around for real bad. Yeah, come in with no eyebrows and you'd be like I thought they were tattooed on Victoria.
Speaker 2: And I did for me this week. I love that. Beck. Have you got some little broke tips? If so, what are they?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 5: Actually, just really quickly, I almost had a money lost this week, and I just I feel that it's important to tell in case anyone else gets one of these. So I got an email the other day and it was like Rebecca sired and it had my date of birth, and it was like, how do I know this? It was very like it was scarey, but it was also very like they're talking to me and they're like, we've tapped your computer and we're going to share all of.
Speaker 2: Your yeah, And I was excuse and like all this.
Speaker 5: All this time, you've been building your reputation. I was like, I don't know what they're talking about, but I was also like I'm scared about what they Also.
Speaker 2: I have been trying to keep a clean little reputation.
Speaker 4: I was like, I guess everyone knows, but I was like, is there I don't know, And so you start questioning yourself and then I was like, I was like.
Speaker 5: We're nice people. Just send us two thousand dollars and I was like, what is anyway? I d ended up doing anything, obviously, because I was like, I guess you know, I'm not too worried, and nothing happened, but I guess it did.
Speaker 4: Someone was like, what are you going to do? Say something bad about me? Have a fun time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you want to send photos of me to everyone? Everyone has the ugliest photos of me that I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I think you can say something to me that I haven't said to myself. Sit down email. I think they assume that everyone has something they want to hide, and they're just hoping that someone goes, oh, like I've got photos or I've got screenshots, or I've got something I don't want to get to share them? Share them? Are they photos of me pre baby? Yeah? Show people?
Speaker 5: Yes, isn't me looking down on my phone with the double chin?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Send it welcome anyway.
Speaker 2: In case anyone gets.
Speaker 5: One of those, don't do anything about it because no I'm not real.
Speaker 2: No, they're not. They're just hoping that you'll be your paddic if you're something.
Speaker 4: I do really enjoy the scam the scammer videos that are going around at the moment. I love I just I love it. And when the guy pretends to be the little old lady and he's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I got the Apple gift card.
Speaker 4: And he's like yes, read me the numbers. And then he's like, yes, I've just put it in and I bought something with it. That's so exciting, and the scam is like, you're not meant to do. It's just sweet revenge.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you're a scammer, you deserve it. Every awful thing that's coming up right back to broke tips back yes.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this first one comes from a friend of mine and who says, if you save this all Halloween theme just by the way, yea, if you.
Speaker 4: Say Halloween theme, our money wins. I did look that cut a money lot or a Neil money lost school kids.
Speaker 5: We're doing that all day. Okay. So my friend says that if you know, at the end of Easter, like everything's super cheap, like all the eggs and stuff, like that. If you save, you save all those and you put those really cheap. You can also like boxing day things like that, any kind of day where chocolate is crazy cheap. The next day or day off or whatever, just bulk by and kids don't mind. If the chocolate's got a little bit of that fat bloom on it, they're gonna eat it. They don't mind.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't eat it as a kid, So be careful because I think that Jess would be the same. You know where they get the little white that is. Yeah, seeing the chocolate coming out, it's usually like just like cocoa butter, like it's actually sounding, but it's quicker about it, like that's in chocolate, Like it's good for you.
Speaker 2: It's not bad.
Speaker 4: It just like starts to separate over time because I.
Speaker 2: Just thought the chocolate was going bad. I've never really given it that much. No, so you were like over and out.
Speaker 4: You can put it still though, because it will remelt into your ingredients. I buy the like mini eggs, but then I regret the mini eggs when I decide to use that chocolate for a recipe and I have to hand unral eggs and put them in a bowl until you get two hundred grams or.
Speaker 2: Something, and I'm like, why did I do this? Oh my god?
Speaker 5: Why is they're not a TikTok hack yet for quickly undoing all of them? Because sometimes, like you're, I am raving this. Sometimes I'm insatiable, especially with these little eggs.
Speaker 4: I like that it slows me down. Yeah, that's fairy, like I need to be. I need to be held back from the chocolates, and so individually wrapped things help because you best believe if I buy a whole block of chocolate.
Speaker 5: She's gone, gone, She's gone.
Speaker 4: Like I opened it. It's one serving, one package goals one serving.
Speaker 5: No, I agree with that. I agree with that. This next one comes from alex. This one is silly and really funny and just like maybe no one will use it. If you put a an empty bowl of just an empty bottle out and you put like a little sign saying just take one, then it will look like if you've been pillaged already and you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: Treated get but you don't want your house to be Yeah, exactly. Yeah, people still egg houses. I'm sure they would. Surely someone cut it off on the and they honked it as really loud at like driving home the other day, and my boyfriend was like, on Halloween, we're going to find if we can. We're not, We're not, but he was like, yeah, I mean I don't want to waste eggs, but can we keep eggs in our cars and just egg people who cut us offween?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so fine.
Speaker 2: I think or treat hard to treat ha ha. It's not even a treat.
Speaker 5: It is such an annoying prank though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember our house way back when I was probably like eight or nine got egged. I don't know if it was on Halloween Halloween or not. Maybe animals, but like our household got egged, and my mom was off it because it was summer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: She was not happy even gross, And I was like, ew did they cook? Like they just they didn't cook. They just went hard like they like they like had kind of dried onto the walls and stuff, and we had like a brick house.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like, yeah, the brick. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just remember mum being like a fair enough Yeah, I agree with her.
Speaker 2: I would be pretty pretty I see yous preferably.
Speaker 4: But also I don't understand the like I understand the concept of trick or treating right, really cute.
Speaker 2: But like now I'm a mum.
Speaker 4: I'm like, am I gonna tell Harvey about strange danger?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Twenty four to seven, like three hundred and sixty four days of the year. I'm like, stranger's gotta be careful of them one day of the year. I'm like, so to do is go and knock on strangers doors while you're dressed up and take whatever candy they give you and be grateful for it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: True with little kids.
Speaker 2: So I feel like, wait, I don't know how this works, but my son will not be doing trick or treating by himself. I mean I have to do. Yes, I have a job for you. You live in a really nice estate.
Speaker 4: I'm going to drop my kid over to you on Halloween and be like, looks like a you problem.
Speaker 2: It's really good. Our state's quite good because they do a map every year. So if you if you're going to have candy, so so people who don't want to participate don't get knocked on their door all night. So if you're going to have stuff for kids, you put your name and your address goes on a map, and so then they have a map of the estate where to go. And usually they'll say, oh, like if you're like, if you want that, it's kind of cute and.
Speaker 4: That feels right, That feels a lot safer, and like, genuinely you living in a state makes me feel a lot safe.
Speaker 2: It's very community. I live on a main road. Like, not feeling great about that.
Speaker 4: Perfect utopia does it's basically gated broke tip back, Okay, my one is I went through and I compared all the prices of like lollies and stuff like that. So just like a generic one, I'm going to use the freddo the twelve pack of frettos for any for example, so in Coals and woolwords six dollars, reject Shop and Alga five dollars. NQR roughly like two dollars. Obviously QR is iconic, but also who cares if it's running out soon?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: NQR is so good. I'm assuming there'd be something at cheap.
Speaker 2: About heaps of them.
Speaker 5: There would be some equivalents for other states, but just have a little look. See I'm not sure if there's an QR everywhere, but I'm sure you'll find something equivalent, but yeah, so I recommend all your Holloween shopping go to NQR. And even if they're like lollies no one's ever heard of before, some kids love just like stuff just their mind, just chuck it in there.
Speaker 2: I feel like lollipops are really good too, because they're often come in packs of like fifty sheep wrapped and they individually wrapped as well. So I feel like stuff like that is good. I haven't done anything.
Speaker 4: I feel bad, but I'm going to get egged good. But I feel like even going to Kmart and getting the party packs, you know how they come in like individually wrapped candy, bracelets and stuff.
Speaker 2: If I was a kid, that's what I want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on a candy watch something fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then all the Halloween candy goes on sale the day after Halloween, Like he's yes, and you say.
Speaker 5: That stopped you?
Speaker 2: What do you got your eye on to purchase this season? Just you know the trolley like they do the oh yeah, they have like a Halloween like mixed pack, And I like them because they're individually wrapped and they're good to just like keep in your purse for an afternoon gummy web.
Speaker 4: That's very dope, That's very justic I feel like, in the most non offense, if we ever just belongs in Utah, like in the nicest way possible, like super wholesome, always has good hair, like wants to drink a lot of diet. Coke also wants to celebrate all of the holidays with a theme and has like a mega mansion that she like dresses up. Yeah, Bubbie dreamhouse vipes. Oh, I wish I had a porch to decorate.
Speaker 2: It'd be so porch. See.
Speaker 4: She even talks about, No, I'm so happy you guys supported me this year and finally dressed up for the show. I'm just wearing a tiara, but we forgot if you were better organized, Beck, what would you have dressed up as?
Speaker 5: I was meant to be? Ellen Degeneroes.
Speaker 2: I really like that. I really like that. Sad.
Speaker 5: I know I'll try and do it sometime this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like her, all right?
Speaker 4: And Jess, what were you going to dress up as? Had we actually said yeah, of course we're in we definitely were prepared.
Speaker 2: I would have done the classic Britney Spears baby one more time because I feel like It's simple enough of an outfit that I wouldn't feel crazy walking into the building. I'm Kati, the fluffy little you know tabs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh no, So I would have recycled my Barbie fairy Topia costume. That doesn't need another excuse to get out, it does. I would have recycled that. I think it's got a two to a little like sparkly top. I've got fairy wings, there's a tr like. It's just a lot. Unfortunately I got rid of the blonde wig, so would have had to buy another one. But you know, you get what you get. But I bought all of the jewelry for that too, like the Barbie fairy Topia necklace, the Barbie fairy Topia like bracelet. I also had the fairy Oki karaoke wings that is, yes, of course if you'd like to borrow them, no worries. They actually it's like a backpack that you put on and it's plastic fairy wings.
Speaker 2: Did you see them? You would have?
Speaker 4: You were on my birthday picturing, Yeah, so, like everyone had had a few beveraginos except for me, because I had found out the day before thirtieth birthday that we had that I was pregnant. So I was drinking fake champagne all night, duping you guys. And yeah, it has like an attached wand which is actually the microphone and pre like the backpack the middle of the fairy wings speaker.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, why did I know that?
Speaker 2: That's cool?
Speaker 4: What do you mean you did know that? I was dancing and singing all night? This is before morning sickness took hold. Right, of course, it was fantastic. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to talk about what to do when you find out that your colleague is doing the same job as you but getting paid way more, and something that you lead into our dms about We're chatting about whether you should ask your partner to stop going to the bank of Mom and dad. Don't go anywhere, guys, Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi, there, have you.
Speaker 4: Got a money dilemma you just can't solve? He's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, she's on the money. Love love, love your work. I have a question here and would really like your advice. Our company hire a temporary support staff from our head office from Europe. After a few months, she decided want to stay in Australia, so the company sponsor her for our work visa to work in Australia. So she works in a very similar role as what I do, like a project coordinator, project administrators sort of role, do not really need special skills at all. Lately, I find out that she's actually getting pay more than double of what I'm getting paid at the moment, and her work low is probably only sixty percent of what I'm doing. I feel really frustrated about this. I want to know, is this even lego in so many different level Should I confront my boss about the big pay gap difference or should I be looking for another job? Thank you? In that month?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. When she said, oh, she's.
Speaker 4: Being paid more, I was like, oh, I don't know. Yeah, we've all been there, but also like I don't know the context, like, you know, has she come from overseas with a lot more experience? Like yeah, And I'm not trying to justify it because that sucks, but I'm assuming life. Like then she gave us the context and I was like, sorry, girl, what double?
Speaker 2: And she's doing less work?
Speaker 5: That is so criminal? I think it is criminal.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, but it isn't like it depends on like their award rates. It depends on like the legalities of the industry. Is it acceptable?
Speaker 2: No? And that's what we're going to.
Speaker 4: Talk about, right, Yes, So I want to know what would you guys do Beck if you came to work and found out new person at work was being paid double what you're doing less work?
Speaker 5: Okay, what would you do? This actually happened recently, but not with me, with someone someone then you name them Sharon, named them Sharon, yep, and then the other person was named Kim for example.
Speaker 2: Okay. Great.
Speaker 5: First of all, I just want to say I'm so glad that pacey gritsy is no longer a thing anyway.
Speaker 4: But to also just caveat that, you need to be really careful because while it was abolished if it is still in your employment contract. While not legal, your workplace might have some type of ramifications for talking about it. If you signed a contract that has that in it, it would be yeah, that pre dates when pace Chrissy was not allowed to be included in your contracts. So now I want to talk about pay, and I really want to be completely transparent about it, like you guys know me well enough by now, but I also don't want you to get any trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I want to make sure that you're protected, so know that. But also maybe.
Speaker 4: Next you know, salary review or like job reviewed, be like you need to remove that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, sorry back to you.
Speaker 4: Bet, because I didn't want anyone to be like, oh, yeah, we can just talk about it.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's great. Sorry great, No, no, no, no, But basically sh Sharon, Sharon told Kim that Kim, well, actually, Kim asked Sharon how much everyone was getting paid because they're doing all the exactly literally exact same role. Yeah, it's the exactly role, the exact same title. And Sharon told Kim this, how much we get paid? Kim realized she's getting paid twelve k less wow for no absolutely no reason. Anyway, when the boss has found out that Kim knew blah blah blah, they went to Sharon. They were like, you shouldn't be they're trying to intimidate share, trying to intimidate that disgusting, despicable. I hate it.
Speaker 4: In if yeh y yes about it, I'll give you a boss a call and be like, hey, so beg.
Speaker 2: I just was wondering, were you doing this or now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And luckily Sharon stuck up for herself and she was like, basically, I just think that if you don't have in your contract you are allowed to be talking about it, then you can shout it from the rooftops. Because there are people out there who have maybe been loyal to a company for so long absolutely not in so many different situations and things like that, and they're getting paid less than everyone else. They don't know about it. Everyone needs no pay secrecy.
Speaker 4: I don't like it, but hate secrecy only benefits the employer exactly, it doesn't benefit anybody.
Speaker 5: I completely agree. But to answer our listener's question, should you confront or look for your job? I say both. You should definitely, you should definitely be confronting and definitely bex.
Speaker 2: Start a riot angry we're not having it. How would you go about that?
Speaker 5: Though, I'll be like, well, actually maybe you would find a job vers a secure job. And then when they're like, hey, oh you're leaving, why you're leaving? Like, because you guys are so sneaky, everyone knows.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to put this on glass door. I was going to say, I just gonna say, put it on glass door, put it somewhere like, jess, what would you do? The one thing I will say is that with the workload thing, I think sometimes you can look at a coworker and it's easier, Oh, they seem like they do nothing. But unless you're.
Speaker 4: Everyone looks at me that way, they're not wrong. But everybody does look at me that way, yes, but unless you're like sitting like cyber do you know what I mean? Like, I think that it's easy to go, oh, it seems like they're doing half my workload, but you don't necessarily know, so I don't know that I hard to quantify completely, So I don't know that I would build that into my argument because I think that sometimes jobs that seem like they're not taxing actually have like an overwhlming amount of just like tedious things or whatever that you might not know that they're dealing with. So I wouldn't build that into your argument just because it might be easy for them to refute that and say, oh, actually they're doing X Y L and you go, oh crap, Like now I don't stand on completely, but if you're doing similar roles, the pay should absolutely be similar. There's really no good reason, as you said, outside of maybe historical experience or seniority. But even then you kind of go, if we're doing the same thing, like, how much does that really factor in? I think that I would it depends how much you like your job. Really like, if you like your job, if you like what you're doing, you like your colleagues, then it is worth I think having the conversation before looking elsewhere and saying, hey, like, I've been made aware of this disparity, can you please do it to me why that exists? I think giving them an opportunity to say, you know, this person maybe is managing some of the team back in Europe remotely, or this person has ten years more experience than you, or whatever the case may be. And if there's nothing, if there's no good reason, which it feels like maybe there's a good chance that's the case. You're going to catch them out and they're going to be like, ah, they are, and you're gonna be like, gotcha, and then you can kind of, I think, launch into the negotiation and be like, this is really unreasonable if you can't give me a reason as to why you're being paid more, I don't see any reason that you should not be matching ching salary to this.
Speaker 2: See what they say, hopefully, Oh, we're so sorry. You're totally right, we'll sort that out. If they don't, that's when I would personally start looking front the job, especially if it's like for like like I get so frustrated.
Speaker 4: I also feel like I don't like being super confrontational in these situations because it doesn't help you. Like marching into your boss's office and being like, what are you doing? Is not a great idea. I would actually step back for a hot second, and I'd be like, Okay, how long have I been with this organization? Let's go back to basics. Let's look at my employment contract. Am I fulfilling everything in that contract? Fantastic? What am I doing above and beyond that? Because we all know if we've been with a company for a couple of years, we might be adding a few things here and there, or like we might have lost a few responsibilities and had them replaced with something else. We want to understand whether the job title you have today is still reflective of the role that you perform, because it is a lot more persuasive to have an argument that's not only should I get paid more, but also I have been thinking I need a role title upgrade and a salary upgrade. What are we talking about? I would, then, from my perspective, schedule a meeting with your manager and say, hey, I'd really like to schedule a meeting to discuss my salary. Give them enough notice and say I would love to sit down with you at lunchtime on Friday, or a two pm on Friday. Actually definitely a two pm on Friday, because we don't need to do salary negotiations in our lunch break. That is a work conversation. So we're going to have our Friday conversation, and then the day before or the morning of, you're going to send a really nice email to your manager, and that email is going to outline everything that you want to talk to them about in a really clear, concise way, and you're going to deliver it in the nicest possible way, So you're going to say, Hi, Beck, I just wanted to send you an email ahead of our meeting because, as you know, I would like to discuss my pay, but I want to make sure before this meeting to make sure it's.
Speaker 2: As productive as possible.
Speaker 4: We're on the same page. I would like to let you know that I have done some research, so we're going to do external research as well. I've looked at the Hayes Salary Guide, I've looked at Glassdoor, I've looked at what seeks remuneration for similar roles are and the role that I'm currently doing it sits at X. Obviously, don't use that statistic if it's not going to work for you. But like I've done some reviews and in a perfect world, that review will say that you're being underpaid. So you put that on the table and say so, I would really like to discuss my salary in light of this. I also would like to discuss the discrepancy between my role and another impartployee's role, and I want to have a discussion around pay parity in the organization. What does that look like? How can that be remediated? Because right now I don't feel very engaged. I don't feel like I'm being valued, and obviously we all want a really nice outcome. Look forward to the conversation because that gets all your information out before having to go and like we're just girls at the end of the day, like sitting down and being like, I need to advocate for myself. Like, don't get me wrong. If you can do that, that is absolutely fantastic. But you're also giving your boss some time because often in these situations where there's levels of management, it's not your manager who makes that decision. So like in my organization, great Jess might come to me about salary. I do call the shots. That's the right decision, But like Jess sending an email because you know Beck might be her manager, because Beck then has to go to Meat to advocate for that. I'm giving you all of the tools and resources you need to advocate for me on my behalf.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: So like if your manager maybe goes, oh yeah, I just wants to pay increase, what are we going to do? Like, at least I have put all of the information on a page and Beck could forward that to my manager and be like, she's got a really good point, like this isn't actually acceptable and outlining all of that, and at the same time I would be looking for another role. I think these conversations are really constructive and help us grow, but I also think that it sounds like they don't value you in the way that you deserve to be valued. And just because you've quote uncovered this and it might be remediated, doesn't mean that they are going to continue to value you. I would find an organization that backs the hell out of you, yes, but have this conversation make them pay you more and than the week after they've done that, leave.
Speaker 5: Completely agree sweet sweet revenge, which.
Speaker 2: All that maybe undage. I feel lucky.
Speaker 5: Yes, Kim was back paid in my story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely absolutely back pays another thing to negotiate. So I just think it's it's wildly unfair and I hate that these things happen, and I'm really sorry, Like I'm really sorry that you have to advocate for yourself when your management team should be looking at the overall remuneration structures. I know that over time things get a little bit off, but it's their job to ensure pay parody for lack for like roles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally agree. Insane and if you want to leave us a money dilemma. By the way, we've had a few people dming us recently, being like, hey, go to our website, She's the money to talk to you, and then there's a podcast page. Go to that and you can literally drop your voice notes straight there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You can record on your phone, you can record on your desktop. It's a ten out of ten idea. You can also leave love notes there, so you can just leave us little voice memos, which some people do when we.
Speaker 2: Find really fun.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Would you guys like to get to the DM that we got this week.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Oh.
Speaker 4: I've been waiting for this one because I feel like we've got thoughts, you know. So this week where we received a DM, they said, hey, she's on the money. I have a money dilemma. I grew up very poor, coming from government housing where money was scarce, and I never asked for money as a kid or even now, because I know money is a struggle. My partner grew up wealthy and got what he asked for whenever he wanted. Is it fair for me to ask him to stop asking his parents for financial help. I feel he doesn't value money and doesn't understand how to work and save for the things he wants. He continuously goes straight for the bank of his parents when he wants something. It is never for needs. I can't tell if it is a red flag or if my jealousy is just showing up through him. I like that you're thinking about you know, am I just envious about this situation?
Speaker 2: We are fair, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not you being envious. I think in this situation, wanting people to value money, especially if you're in a relationship together and you're building a life together, think is a very big shared value set validating you there. No, it's not envy. Yeah, like I'm a little bit jealous if someone was just going to give me free money, I get it.
Speaker 2: But this is a bit deeper than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. It really does sound like me and my best friend lives so week because we do grow up completely differently. She came from a very wealthy family and they did work very hard for their wealth, and I grew up not so well off. But we're both like exactly the same, and so I think living with her. We lived in there for a few years, and there were definitely moments where I was like, oh, it's it kind of like hurts a little bit in my belly to see that she might be given opportunities that I might not.
Speaker 2: That would have been challenging with such a close friend.
Speaker 5: It is, but it's also like I also tend to remind myself that, like we we are exactly the same. But I'm very very grateful for my upbringing. I'm very very grateful for everything that led me here, and if even one tiny thing changed, and I wouldn't be exactly why I am today, And I quite like exactly. I love that you know what I mean much back and so and but it is still it's nice to have, like a little bit I know that if something went wrong, Hopefully it's the same for a listener, if something really really went wrong, you do kind of have access to that. Hopefully. I can imagine that if you're in that situation, it's nice to know it's there. But I do understand the feeling of being like, wow, like I've got to work for this, and you can kind of just ask for it and you kind of get it.
Speaker 2: That does suck.
Speaker 5: But honestly, if you're trying to teach, you know, financial resilience and things like that, I can I can understand why you maybe want to get your partner to not do that as much. But I think it's okay that like really bad. Like, I think it's fine, but it isn't a valuable thing to learn, like the resilience and independence financially and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't think that either of them is wrong. Like, I understand that it's very frustrating if you and your partner have different perspectives on money and handling that, and if you're e'en like you're obviously both by products the environments that you grew up in. And I can see how for someone who's had to work really hard for everything, seeing someone just be handed something would be frustrating. And you I can understand being like, well, you're not going to learn because you're just being bailed out every time. But that being said, like, I don't think I think I've said this before, I don't necessarily think it's reasonable to expect your partner to change fundamental things about themselves and fundamental things about their upbringing. I think that it's absolutely worthy of a conversation and saying, hey, like, I feel like you're not respecting the goals as much as I am because you're not prioritizing them. You're spending on other things and then hoping that your family will bail them out. I think that that's a very valid conversation to have, But you also need to recognize that the case might just be that you have different value sets and different experiences with money, and that they may be too different for you to be able to operate together because ultimately, like you're hopefully assuming you want to follow a traditional you know, trajectory, going to be your partner for the rest of your life, and it may be that that's not something that they can or want to change about themselves. And on the flip side, I feel like, if their parents are in a wealthy enough position that they can help them out financially, don't we all really want to build generational wealth so that we can look after our future generations. Where I was going to go with it, like if I worked really hard and I'm a multimillionaire. From my mouth to God's lips, you know, this is why she's just been trying to kiss up you want to make out with him. He hasn't been listening to me, you know. Like if I found myself in the position where I was wealthy, of course I would want to support my children and give them every opportunity and whatever. So I can't really fault your partner or their family for being in that position. I think what we really have to do is reflect on is this going to be something that's going to bother you long term? Because you may not be able to reconcile the difference.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I think that you're both in the right and honestly, like I grew up in a less prosperous household, and like I would be the same, Like I would be pissed off that if someone was not putting in the hard yard then I felt like I was, Like, I fully get that, but I also think that you can't necessarily expect that to change, Like I don't know that. I think that that's a reasonable level of expectation. Does that make sat I I'm contradicting. No, I totally get it. I think looking at it from the flip side, we all want the best for our kids, right, Like and if his parents, I don't know I look at myself right, like gift giving is a love language of mine, Like I love it. I bring gifts for the team, I bring gifts for my friends, like you best believe, like my baby he needs something and I have the ability to get it for him. Not only do I want to, but it gives me a deep sense of validation to go I did that, Like, yeah, I got that, Like I don't know, I just I feel as though maybe his parents have like look at it, right, Like, let's take your situation, Jesse.
Speaker 4: You said I didn't grow up in a prosperous environment. If you then had kids and you were super prosperous, you often find that the parents who grew up with not much then want to give their kids absolutely everything, and they're probably getting a lot of validation from it. So he might have just grown up with this situation of being like, oh I really want this, and mom and dad being like, girl, oh boy, whatever.
Speaker 2: You can have it.
Speaker 4: Like all he has to do is message his parents and he's got it. Like that's fantastic. But we also I get the NB side of it, like if that exists, but I think it's also fair to go we're not on the same page financially, and that's where we need to zoom out. If that's part of his money story, fine, let's sweep that to the side for a minute. What are we working to wards together? Are you saying that your partner right now just spends his money really frivolously and then just asks his parents for heaps of stuff and doesn't have a heap of savings, but you have a heap of savings and you're trying to save for a house and he says he's in, but he's not really in because he's spending all his money and seems to have the bank of Mum and Dad backing up his spending behavior. Is that what you're saying, or are you saying he's saving, he's investing, and you know, we're working towards this really secure financial future together. I'm compromising a lot. I'm not getting all these things that I want. He's saving all his money and just texts his mum when he wants a new PlayStation, right, Like, so he's not having to dip into savings and have that level of compromise that you've got. Yeah, does that make sense? So like that would annoy me too and be like he's so unfair, Like I'm compromising, and you know, at the end of the day, I'm not buying the makeup and the shoes and the clothes that I want because I'm trying to save for this house and he's doing the same thing and saving, but then he's just asking his mum for the stuff. Yeah, Like, oh, okay, you need to have a conversation about this. And this is about not only under standing each other's money stories, but your shared values and what you're working towards together and what that's going to look like. So is it bad that he's using the bank of Mum and Dad. I don't think so. And the reason I don't think so is you never deeply know somebody else's money story. And also, who are you to judge? Like if you could do that too, I'm sure you would. I live in a world where I didn't grow up super rich. My parents couldn't give me all of those things either. I love everything that they did, but we weren't super wealthy. On the flip side, I'm now starting to make more money than I ever have before, and I'm trying to balance this, Like I don't want my kid to be spoilt. But I also want to make sure that he has all of the things that I think he needs and deserves. And so I am thinking, what do I do do I invest for his future when he gets to eighteen? Would I want him having access to money? The answer actually between and Steve and I is no, we want him to be older than that. But I know that the world is a really tough place to live right now, and I would like to be contributing towards a first home deposit for him in the future. And I want to do that for my other kids, And like, how do I establish that so by the time, you know, my son gets to the age where he's buying property, I love that we could help, but I know that that's not what his You know, lots of his friends might be experiencing, or his partner might be experiencing. That doesn't mean that it's the wrong thing for us to do. And as his parent, if my son then had a partner that said you need to stop that, I'd be like, oh, I worked really hard to be able to give him this. I worked really hard, and that was like my mission and my driving force, And now you're telling me that I can't give my son the things that I want to give him. Does that make sense? And like, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, Like just because I'm saying that it can still happen doesn't mean it's not frustrating. Like from the outside, Like you can be annoyed and beck, you can look at your friend and be like, that's so annoying. But then I think you know, if you sat down with your friend's parents and said like, oh, why do you just give her stuff, they'd probably be like, We're so proud to be able to do that, Like it's so cool.
Speaker 2: We worked so hard.
Speaker 4: Like they might tell you stories about how they grew up, and you know, maybe they've lost some businesses along the way and then they did a new business and something finally worked, and like everyone has this narrative and their story that you don't know about. So I don't think it's fair to judge it. But I also think it's fair to have a conversation and say to your partner, I'm feeling really uncomfortable about this, yeah, and that's fair. Telling him to stop is a different conversation than going, hey, i'm noticing that you're doing this a lot can we talk about it? Like I feel real weird about it? Yeah, Like have you always done this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like what does this mean? Like how do you value money? What are you going to do if your parents maybe aren't around one day?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And because I can understand the fear that poor money habits now might meet in the future when there's not someone there to support you, you you could go, oh God, what's going to happen if.
Speaker 4: What's your plan for the future, Like your parents are doing this for you, how are you planning on setting up the same structure so that you can do that for your kids? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like is that the plan? Like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of money stories conversation, but shared values and beliefs conversations that need to happen before you go, hey, I don't like that you go to the bank of mom and dad.
Speaker 5: Sure, sometimes what you need is just validation, just someone to be like, hey, I know I do this, and I know that you could never and you don't have access to that, but and I see that nothing's going to change. But I see that, and that's like that's enough sometimes to be like thanks, I'm going to keep on keep an.
Speaker 4: Ony yeah, but like also a rising tide lift soulships. So like, if I'm doing well, hopefully the people around me are then learning and benefiting from the fact that I'm doing well and we can all rise together, Like I don't want to rise if nobody else is ill, and what everybody else say. We obviously asked a few questions, and we said, is it a red flag for you if your partner relies on their family for their wants? And seventy four percent of you said, yep, feels like a dependency, and twenty six percent of you said nope, family help is fine if it's available.
Speaker 2: Fair. Fair.
Speaker 4: We also asked, would you ask your partner to stop relying on their parents? Sixty percent of you said definitely, because it builds character, and forty percent of you said nope. Their finances their choices.
Speaker 2: I think once you start working towards shared goals, it's definitely more valid because their finances are impacting your finances.
Speaker 4: Yeah that I agree with that, Yeah, one hundred percent. And like that's the conversation at hand, Like how does this play into an US situation? Like you're not asking his parents to buy you stuff, but you're just going well what does this mean long term?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Like, how is this impacting our financial goals? We also said, come on, give us your two cents where you want to know. What are your thoughts on this? One person said, parents love language. Maybe gift giving, which is quite funny, That's what I said, maybe the one thing of the few things they feel they can do now their kids are adults. Someone else said, focus on your own mindset rather than your partners. Another person said, my concern would be that he has not matured and is irresponsible with money, not a grown man trait that I want.
Speaker 2: I think that's good, but also have we asked him? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, Like, I get that you feel that might be irresponsible. And I'm not even trying to defend him. I'm just trying to see it from the flip side. But you might see that as irresponsible, and he might go, oh, we've only been together for like a year. I haven't really told you. But I invest and I save everything. A mum and dad know that I work really hard in the background, and they're like real proud of that. So like, if I want something, they don't want me spending my investments, so they just buy it. Yeah, and you'd be like, oh, that's a different story, and I'm not saying it makes it right or wrong.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. That would also annoy me.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, oh, I'm so frustrated, like I wish I had that, but yeah, it's just there's lots of different things floating around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Someone said, girl, that's called intergenerational wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Someone else said, in this economy, all the.
Speaker 4: Help you can get, honestly fair, Like if your partner was getting gifted stuff, you'd be like, yep, slate, no worries.
Speaker 2: If doone have the ability to do that for me? Like, I'd be back, pass right please.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, I feel like you could just have an open conversation about it with them. Then it's true, more conversations about money more often, please.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, I'd feel the same as you, but it also doesn't affect you.
Speaker 2: So maybe your values just done aligne. It's a hard conversation, but it's one that you have to have.
Speaker 4: And then somebody else said, I would suggest having a chat with a therapist because you might have developed a scarcity relationship with money. Wow, it's very cerebral but true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: It's true. I feel like that's probably a good place to leave it. I feel like always talking about it. I mean you could even talk to like a girlfriend about it, or just having chats about money in general is really good. Like really, we all come out of it feeling fresher, like you were saying before, even just someone being like, oh, I'm doing this, but like I acknowledge that, Like Becky, you're not in that position right now, You're oh, thanks, Like at least I feel like sometimes when we talk about money, there's an underlying tone of like, I think everyone should X y Z, Like, oh, I'm buying my first home. You're like, I'm not in a position to buy my first home. Does the person I'm talking to think that I should be doing that because like I haven't saved for that, Like what do I do? And I think that, Yes, Sometimes just acknowledging that everyone is in the same position can be really constructive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't believe it.
Speaker 5: Sometimes the answer is communication.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't see that.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. That is a perfect place to leave it. Thank you for joining us for our not that spooky episode of Friday's She's on the Money. We will endeavor to try harder next year, but yeah, spooky season.
Speaker 2: Greetings. I suppose that's it.
Speaker 5: Happy Hillarene.
Speaker 2: Bye guys, Hi guys.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine