Speaker 1: Can I, Peter Hell, are you here? Welcome to You ain't seen nothing yet?
Speaker 2: The movie podcast where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian podcaster Josh Earl, You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself.
Speaker 3: I didn't get a harrang fut of that guy to govern Hurrah.
Speaker 4: I know it was you afraid of You broke my heart right now?
Speaker 5: You're seeing nothing here.
Speaker 2: Josh Earl is one of the most loved and respected comics on the Melbourne, An Australian comedy scene today. Abundantly talented, Yes, Josh is one of those comics who.
Speaker 5: Could have actually had a musical career.
Speaker 1: Josh is an ideas guy.
Speaker 2: His show, Josh Earl Versus The Australian Woman's Weekly Cakebook was one of those shows that there seems to endlessly tour and tour and tour. Josh has appeared on all the radio stations, done on the TV shows, and he was actually chosen for the coveted gig of replacing Adam Hills in the rebooted Spits and Specs back in twenty twelve, but arguably it's been a show of Josh's own creation that has seen him enjoying much acclaim. In more recent time, his podcast Don't You Know Who I Am? Is a cracking game show that has seen his fan base go through the roof. I have done the show many times, including live versions of the show and of his heaps of fun.
Speaker 1: Go and check it out.
Speaker 2: Josh Earl's modest, kind, funny, innovative, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 5: My name is Josh Earl. My three favorite films are Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, my book Magnolia, That's the first time You've been Rape and Jackass.
Speaker 1: I'm Great England and this is a firehouse.
Speaker 5: Rodeo, and I have never seen The Taking of Pelham or one two three.
Speaker 2: Long before Quentin Tarantino's Mister Pink and Co. Went on their bloody heist, there was another color coded gang of band that's taking down a train in Joseph sargus nineteen seventy four classic The Taking of Pellam one two three water map ol Zachary Garba is a cop who thinks he's in for a pretty straightforward day just shows some Japanese visitors around the station, but all that changes with a call from an English gent claiming to have hijacked subway train, played by Robert Shaw. The Taking of Pellam one two three, which is rebooted in two thousand and nine with Denzel Washington and John Travolda, is a tense joy ride. If being hijacked by some sociopaths brings you joy, I guess, Joshua, do you look good in fake mustache as glasses in the tresh coat?
Speaker 5: Ah? I loved it. I would love to just rock around in a trench coat, some glasses, fake mustache, sneezing it off all the time.
Speaker 2: Lots of things to discussed about this film. It's a film that I had not seen. I was aware of it.
Speaker 1: And that.
Speaker 2: Is an Apple series. I'm oversure what one of these, but it is. Listening to our conversation, there is now two guests on you Ain't seen nothing yet? What movie were they talking about? James McAvoy was in it.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'm not built as number one guest, though, I'm going to be very annoyed series coming in. She's built first.
Speaker 1: There's a first for everything, and then he's the first we will get to. We'll get their three favorite films soon. I think I was trying to tell us which one I heard James McAvoy before I realized what was going on. But why did you choose this one?
Speaker 5: I've been told so Alexi Tollioppolois, who's a friend of mine, who's a big film buff. He was saying his favorite actor is Walter Matthau, and he's said his favorite performance of his is the taking of Pelm one two three, And I'd never i'd heard of the I think I've seen parts of the remake with the Denzel Washington John Travolta when it was on TV once, but I didn't really watch it and said, all right, one day, I'll get to watching it. And so when you gave me this opportunity, I want, there's no better time. Let's let's let's watch this film. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was a bit the same way. I don't think i'd seen any of it. In fact, when I spoke with Derek about it last week, I was like, I think it might involve the train, and then when it was confirmed it wasn't the trainer of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know a little bit about.
Speaker 2: This, and I'm a big Walter Matthau fan, but probably more through the odd couples I hadn't, you know, really probably seen a lot of his cinema work.
Speaker 1: But what I knew as.
Speaker 5: The neighbor in Dennis the Menace. That was my first which is probably not one of his classic roles, but people know it.
Speaker 2: No that Dennis the Menace hasn't come up as anyone's three favorite films.
Speaker 1: But what what a what a face he has at hound Dog face is just gold.
Speaker 5: Oh, if you like old faces, this is the film for you. There's a lot of It was when actors could just be expressive. People didn't have any like movie star good looks. I know in the seventies they were like Robert Redford and all that. It was just, you know, amazingly good looking man. But this is just a film full of hard work and actors just like expressing their emotions and being cool. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: And I shouted them Melissaly Young about when Harry met Sally, and I was kind of saying, if they've made that, if they remade that like Billy Crystal or even the equivalent of Billy Crystal's not getting that role today.
Speaker 1: It's probably it is probably Ryan Gosling. So I think we should celebrate.
Speaker 2: We should celebrate where you know, faces in interesting faces get rewarded.
Speaker 1: And this is a film You're right if you like, if you like old dudes, this is a film for you. I'm sure. I'm not sure if saying yeah, I want to see more films if old white dudes is a popular thing at the moment. But I think I'm know what you're saying, Josh.
Speaker 5: Hey, they've had a rough work three years, now do reckon?
Speaker 1: Three years?
Speaker 5: Are tough?
Speaker 2: It that has dragged done a bit, hasn't it. You have chosen a couple of films that have been nominated before and one that hasn't. Let's start with the one that hasn't.
Speaker 1: Jackass. It hasn't been nominated, but what fun it is.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've laughed as much in a cinema as this. I remember watching it. I was still living in lon Ceston, so don't I can't remember when it came out, would have been like two thousand and one hour or something like that. I fell out of my seat in the cinema laughing. It was the pack cinema, and it was one of the dumb scenes where Steve O jumped into a ceiling fan that and I don't know if it was just the build up of everything being so funny that that moment just got me and I fell out of my seat laughing so much. And I remember it was a pack cinema, and that I watched the sequel in another cinema and I was the only person in that cinema. So it was a real, real yearning hag of Jackass.
Speaker 1: There is something about Jackass when I think of it, it feels like it should be watched with a group of friends. So being in a cinema watching it for yourself, it must have felt like a strange experience.
Speaker 5: It was, and I didn't enjoy Jackass two as much, but then i've watched it recently. No, No, it still holds up. This is one thing of those guys you think of all the like comedies, you think, oh, jack will probably be canceled. No, it's because it's just slapstick and it's just them making fun of each other and it's about that dumb male friendship. I think it still holds up. There are some scenes where I'm like, I'm going to Japan and being dumb in front of Japanese people. Probably you probably wouldn't do that today, but the majority of it, like ninety five percent would go, yeah, that that's still flies today. It's still funny. It's just people getting hit the nuts, which is always funny.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, it's not like you know, hitting people in the nuts or or doing stupid things online and on you know, on socials. It's not like that's a rare thing like it seems. It seems Jacks seems more zeitgeisty now than it probably did twenty years ago.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, like they've probably like there's a whole thing of YouTube, which is their origin story is watching jack Us and going yeah, I could do that. Let's get on the roof and jump off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Prank's pre hashtag. Yeah, I love it. And Jody Knutsville.
Speaker 2: I remember hing coming out and doing Rogue Live a couple of times and come of remember thinking, but you know, I'm not sure what to expect.
Speaker 1: Just turns out quite a lovely dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they all seem very I mean there's a few of them who I think bam Mageria has had a bit of substance abuse issues, and he's kicked off the fourth film because it's apparently coming out very soon. But the rest of them seem like pretty decent guys. I mean, I say that now someone's gonna send me a Twitter just so you know, if this person did this, I'm all right. Well, just judging on their on their interviews and stuff like that, they actually seem to really care for each other and that thing you don't see that in like a lot of male friendship groups in media, that they're you know, they really got each other's back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're getting pretty old soon now. So I imagine if there's a reboot of the Taking of pell of one, two, three, the Jackass boys would be right in the zone. So when when Jackass four comes out, how are you? How are you approach it? How you watch it?
Speaker 5: I have already made plans hopefully we can travel and I'm going up to watch it with Alexi Toleoppolos and Cameron James in the cinema. I'm flying to Sydney to watch it and then flying back that day. I like my wife has said, yeah, if you want to do that, that's fine. We could do that, and so I am gonna just o day trip and then come back.
Speaker 1: That is one of my favorite what are you going to do when we're out of Lockdown stories? I've heard? I wish you all the best of that.
Speaker 5: So fingers crossed, fingers cross, the numbers go down.
Speaker 1: Two magnificent films make up your trifecta.
Speaker 2: Magnolia has come up before, as was Mith Warhurst one of her favorite films. It is very high in mine in my favorite films of all time is a film for me I have watched a lot, which is which considering it's running time of over three hours is And it's also a film that literally like two nights ago, and I do it quite often if I if I go to bed and beach already a sleep, I would just like turn it on for half an hour at the time I put a love half an hour at any point in the film and this you know, watch it and eventually go to sleep. But I love it so much. Did you see it when it came out or you discovered it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I saw it when I came out. So it was ninety nine and I was first year UNI doing a theater degree and around people who acting was everything Like I, you know, I enjoyed it, but there was guys in who's like the Oscars was their AFL Grand Final, and so my friend Corey was like obsessed with Paul Thomas Anderson and was like, You've got to watch this film. It's going to be amazing. And then I watched it. I was like, I reckon everyone's great in it, but I reckon four or five of the cast it's their greatest performance. I think Tom Cruise's performance in it is so great. And I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but I think he should play more roles where he is that kind of unhinged sociopath because he plays it so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially since jumping on the couch will kind of change what they think of him anyway, So yeah, I can see him being a bit of a sociopath.
Speaker 1: Well, and we've spoken before.
Speaker 2: We did Top Gun with Tony Martin on the show, and we kind of spoke about how it was kind of like the birth Top Gun was the birth of Tom Cruise because he kind of discovered that that cockiness kind of he played with it in Risky Business and then in Top Gun it kind of explodes, and I think he found what really works for him, that confidence on it, and it probably took until Magnolia and maybe you know, even Tropic Thunder for him to kind of go, how else can this work for me? Like, what are some other leaders I can pull still being the brash and confident, you know, go get her? But how what are some other you know, levels of that? And I think absolutely right Magnolia. His performance in Magnolia is just I think still his best one. I mean that interview, that sit down interview he does, and that is just you know, people talk about, I mean things as good as de Niro and Pacino and heat kind of sit down Yeah, I love I love sit down talking scenes. You know, that's a lot of the reason why it's a date, you know, And and that.
Speaker 1: Is as good as anything.
Speaker 2: I mean Tom Cruise when he's not speaking, which is often to Tom Cruise like to speak a lot in these films. You know, he's dialogue heavy, but he's listening in that is and he's quite seething.
Speaker 1: Is phenomenal. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And Julian Moore as well, is also that her performances that film are just incredible as well. So it's yeah, and John c Right. So many of them are so great in that film, and it's one of those films where I watched it and go, oh, yeah, this is because I have this theory that acting, of all the arts, is probably the easiest to do, like film acting, because you get you don't have to write it, someone else will tell you how to stand, address you, and if you muck up, you get to go again. But this one is like, I know, hats off that these are actual great actors.
Speaker 1: I know, I've follow that chapter going.
Speaker 2: You know, acting is not as not as tough as they say, but basically, whenever I act, I'm playing a character not particularly far removed from myself. Like so when you see actors disappear into roles, you kind of go ah, that's actually yeah the watermark, and you know that's what real acting is, or or high quality acting, not kind of playing versions of yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because my thing was acting was on the runs of like arts, actors were the easiest, but directing and making a great film with bit the hardest because you've got so many outside like not many other arts do you have to rely on whether.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, well and and so many things have to come to pass to make for a film to work, like even to the point like from the from the script to the handing over.
Speaker 2: To a director, to the casting to the locations of finding the right locations too. Yeah, the budget that what you decide to drop, what you decide to you know is important, you know, do you need pick up you know pickups?
Speaker 5: And he recently is watching watching White Loatus, going would this be as great if the if the soundtrack wasn't as great like that like White Like I don't know if you've seen White Loaders. The soundtrack is what drove that for me. I was like, I just want to watch like this so I can hear the soundtrack. And I'm wondering if it didn't have that soundtrack, if it would just be like, oh, this is kind of an interesting story about some people on a holiday, okay, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And there's there's those moments in White Lotus where you get to you know, as the last act, and those it just it feels it doesn't feel like completely different than moments of Magnolia, to be honest, where you are just the music is driving.
Speaker 2: I mean, Magnolia has almost whole songs you know that play throughout or score that lasts, you know, like twenty minutes or so. That run through it is it is stagnant, but it just and you just cut from like almost not even cut. Sometimes sometimes you actually became removed to it, from table to table to see characters, you know, catching up with where characters are, what the family's doing. White Loads, if you haven't seen it, is fantastic. One of my favorite performances in Magnolia is I think her name is Malaura Waters, but she's the daughter of Jimmy Gator in in Magnolia.
Speaker 5: And who's the quiz show host.
Speaker 1: The quiz show host, yes, and who's dying of cancer, and he has been accused of abuse as well. And the Malora Waters is just so phenomenal.
Speaker 2: And she she's also you know, John c Riley's trying to take around on the date and they do, but it's complicated. And I think that last shot where she just gives that little smile at the end, that whole scene, I mean, talk about choices you make in an edit. I mean, it's just phenomenal that they you know, poor Thomas Anderson went there with that, I think, and I mean there were so many big choices in Magnolia.
Speaker 1: I mean the frogs for a start is just like, what the.
Speaker 5: Fuck well I did. The first time I watched that, I walked out. I was eighteen, walked out guard that was so random that that happened. And then I rewatched it and went, oh, no, they set it up at the start with random stuff can happen with the whole which I didn't realize until I watch it recently that it's Patton Oswald who's the diver who gets stuck up the tree in that very opening scene. Yes, yeah I did. I didn't realize. I watched it like a few weeks ago, and I watched it two nights ago as well, just because I was going, oh, this is like you. I put it on quite often and went, oh, like Pat Molswelt did this film? Oh cool, because I knew Paula Tompkins had done work with it, so I knew Paul Thomas Anderson was around that La Lago scene kind of hiring comics. But yeah, I didn't. I didn't realize that. Yeah, I only it was the diver.
Speaker 2: I only realized that, to be honest, when I interviewed Patton Oswell for Ratatoui, he came out and I interviewed him for Ratatouey and just looking through, you know, doing my research and looking through what he had done outside of obviously stand up, and I thought about Magnolia and went back and watched it at that time, and there is right at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is such a great film.
Speaker 2: I love it and I can't wait for somebody to know on that one day so we can do a whole whole hour on eternal.
Speaker 1: Sunshine of the Spotless Might again is a cracking film.
Speaker 2: Andy Kaufman, sorry, Charlie Kaufman, and obviously Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I watched this. This was one of the first dates me and my wife went on, which isn't a great date film because it's just all about breaking up in your exits and both of us just come out of relationships and it was like, oh, walked out and go, Yeah, I think I might need to go and think for a while. This good night, like wasn't the romantic date I thought it was going to be, but we both loved it. And it's Kate Winslet as well. It's just one of those amazing she's so good in everything. She's just like one of those people who I'm like, if she's in it, I'll pretty much watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Kate Winslet a lot of people we can forget how good she is, and I think she reminded us recently with the Mayor of East Town of just like, yeah, how good she is.
Speaker 1: And you're right. The Eternal Sunshine the Spotlet's mine is one of her absolute best.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember even going to see the Holiday that she's in with like Jack Black and not made for me, but I think she's good in it. I think Jack Black's good in that as well. Capen Diaz and Jude law Ones. I was like, all right, just enough of those, just get back to these guys.
Speaker 1: And Jim Carrey. You know, it was Jim Carrey his first dramatic role.
Speaker 2: That was probably The Truman Show from memory, but this was a different kind of like The Truman Show was a beautiful stepping off point that Jim Carrey to going to go more dramatic. But there's still very It's still had a lot of Jim Carrey physicality. I feel like for most part, for most of Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind that physicality is taken away from Jim Carrey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's that few scenes where he's like he's under the table, he's been a kid where you can see that comedic kind of stuff shine, But the rest of it is very gray and blue tones throughout the entire film. All those guys who started off doing like very famous film clips for bands, and you see those elements kind of come into their film.
Speaker 1: And the cracking carst Mark Ruffalo, what's his name from, Lord of the Lord of the Rings. Elijah would Elijah would the apologies Elijah. If you're listening, check out all three of those films if you haven't seen them. They are cracking when you're going to take a quick break. And we were back with Joshua, I want to know what he thought of the Taking of Palum one two three.
Speaker 2: All right, josh moment of truth, but take your palam one two three. I do thank you for nominating. I hadn't seen it, so looking forward to chatting about it. What did you think.
Speaker 5: I really liked it. I thought it was really it was that that seventies kind of style where the story is the key. I think sometimes with these kind of you know, if you like the remake. I don't know if you've seen it, but huge helicopter shots going over New York. They're zooming down on Denzel Washington, who's trying to catch John Travolda. In this one, it's almost like it's a play. It's set in three rooms pretty much, is that where it's all set. And I really really liked that kind of filmmaking where it's like, now we're going to just focus on the story. And I think even though I was saying, you know, a bunch of old dudes in this film, they're all very cool as well. Though there's this kind of New York swagger they've got going on, especially Walter Mathou and you mentioned at the top where he's he starts off just doing a tour of the place where he works for some Japanese tourist guy train guys that they work in transport, and even in that he's cracking jokes, being very cool, got the swagger, thinks they can't understand him, and then at the end he realizes, oh no, they can understand every word of that, because you've been calling them dummies, like all right, come on your dummies.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't lose.
Speaker 2: He never loses his cool, does he He's pretty even tempered. I did find myself as I was watching it, knowing there was a reboot with Denzel Washington John Travolta like imagining where they went went off and did things differently. Like one of them was like, I imagine they got big sweeping shots of New York. I imagine probably they get out of the subway and there's probably a car chase, you know, like yeah, because there's there's actually very little action in this film, Like there's the cop trying to get the money to the train and it flips because about a poorly timed ice cream cart comes comes across, which how oblivious was that guy.
Speaker 5: Greensleeves is playing too loud.
Speaker 1: And and like the train kind of going once there, once there, off the train and kind of spiral and kind of going too far.
Speaker 2: I think they did that really well. That kind of reminded me of the French Connection. The way they shot that. I imagine they just probably hooked hooked the camera like and this is you know, back in the days where special effects were limited, so they probably just hooked their camera in the front of the train cart and and you know, drove it and maybe with a bit of shaking going on, but outside of that, there's not a lot of action.
Speaker 1: But this it holds really well. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think there's also a lot of a lot of humor in it as well. It's not playing for last, but it's actually just funny how they're especially the Walter Mathow and Jerry Stiller who's in.
Speaker 1: It, who.
Speaker 5: Although I do every time I see him in anything other than Seinfeld, I'm expecting him to say surrended in an hour or something like that, just you know, because stands his dad. But it is so great. So they're like they find out that the train has been hijacked, and they're kind of making jokes about how they get how are they going to get away with this? Like like Walter Mathow's character, Lieutenant Garber is his name, and yeah, and Jerry Stiller's chacter a one the I think Walter Mathow says they're gonna make everyone in New York close the rise for one hundred seconds.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the lines I loved was when the guy who was like quite pissed off, like it was I saw this as a big inconvenience, you know, Like and basically it's kind of running the kind of the transport side of it and was pissed off that this is all happening. So he was going to go and basically kick him off the train, like there are a bunch of like ye brats who were just like these cheeky neighborhood kids.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I'll take care of them.
Speaker 2: And he yells out as he runs towards the train, why don't you hijack an airplane like everybody else? And then I think it's it's Hector Alonso who replies, because we're afraid of flying.
Speaker 1: But there are there.
Speaker 2: Are like if you if you love old style New York accents, that kind of more and more we probably it sounds like parody.
Speaker 1: Now this is also a film for you. Some of the New York.
Speaker 2: Isms in this, particularly you know in the at the Headquarters is just on yeah.
Speaker 5: And like you mentioned in the thing as well. So Quentin Tampantina obviously took parts of this for Reservoir Dogs, which is the colors of the of the villains. They all go in code. So we've got mister Blue and mister Green, mister Gray and mister Brown, who I didn't realize this is paper Earl Hindman, who was Wilson in Home Improvement. He's the neighbor next door.
Speaker 1: Wow, I recognize because we can see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well kind of he's got them start in front of it.
Speaker 1: That I did not know that. I can tell you that the driver of the train, the who Let's go Doyle, I think his name is is Matthew Broderick's dad. Oh is it? Yes? We was.
Speaker 2: He appeared recently on well on this podcast, but many years ago in Dog Day arter Noon and uh yeah, we spoke about that recently with the Scott Duley and so yeah. In fact, in dog Day Afternoon he took he took his son Matthew to set uh to meet al Pacino and I think they worked together, not yeah, a few years after that, so uh yeah, it's Hector. Hector Alonso is mister Gray. I think his color is and he's a pretty woman, the concierge, a pretty woman.
Speaker 5: Maybe his you know, he was in Chicago Hope as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was great in Chicago Hope and like you know, you know him when you see him, but you might not recognize him, you know, until maybe he takes off his wig.
Speaker 1: But there were like what did you they made a lot of.
Speaker 2: We're so used to tropes now in movies, and I thought they and I'm not sure about doing it deliberately or they just didn't, you know, it was never in their thinking. But I thought that was setting us up to believe certain things were going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just didn't happen.
Speaker 5: So the mister Gray character is the loose cannon they even say he was. He got kicked out of the mafia for being too unpredictable, and he like, is that thing of like because you have the anti heroes, which is kind of popular trope now, but I'm not sure it was it in the seventies.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have to go and do more research into those films. But that thing is like, there are certain of the bad guys who you do actually feel sorry for, you do want them to get away with it. And then you've got mister Gray who is an asshole the entire time. So when they first get they all get on a different carriage each he like, ogle's a young woman, then brushes past her on the way just to establish this guy's no good, don't this is not someone you're going to be barracking for. And then there's mister Green, who is the he's an older guy who was a train driver, says he got like set up for drugs and got sacked and so he was the ones in there. Hopefully he he makes it out. Hopefully he does okay in this he gets away. The other thing I laughed at lights is they're asking for a million dollars and they are, and the Mayor's like New York City doesn't have a million dollars, which is insane to think about, Like a city of New York in nine seventy four did not have a million dollars at its disposal.
Speaker 1: I believe in two thousand and nine the ransom was it might have been one hundred million. Is it a hundred million or or ten million? But they certainly adjusted for inflation in here in the sequel, I did like, I do you want to play? Actually have seen the show? Uh so we can listen to some of those New York, New York accents.
Speaker 2: And this is a scene back at the headquarters between Garba and again one of the one of his and these are these are characters that always need to appear in these in these kind of movies, and it's a character that basically is just there to create attension for the protagonists, you know, to create like a something for him to, you know, to work off. And they're always the one that makes almost no sense, you know, the one that kind of is like going, why why do we.
Speaker 1: Need to bother about this? You know, let's just blow up.
Speaker 2: Let's just blow up the tray like it's just you know what, this makes no sense. But for some reason in movies you do need them.
Speaker 1: So let's listen to some great New York accents. In one of the scenes from the Taking of Talent one two three.
Speaker 5: Hey come, I wait down.
Speaker 1: Hey Frank, you're I shake it? What are you want from me? I got mornament me from all over the line.
Speaker 3: I'm telling the shat apt to get off the end each from all lines jump from here.
Speaker 1: I never thought i'd see today we're talking to murderers. The priority over running around.
Speaker 3: No, But when you're Frank, my only priority is saving the lives of these passes.
Speaker 1: Screwed up goddamn passion.
Speaker 3: What the hell they expected that allows you thirty five cents of live forever?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, beautiful?
Speaker 5: Do you read me?
Speaker 1: Tell them?
Speaker 3: One too was running things like when there were guns and take gas and blast them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're not running things.
Speaker 5: So why don't you start doing your own?
Speaker 1: I can let the police do theirs. Man like that literly living cop on the train, What the hell's he gonna talk to? You don't even know if it is a heat do you read me? Tell them one two three? What the hell today? Probably goddamn parson, Just tell them one two three? Any news to report? What's that about news? You gonna say again about news? I said, have you any news to report?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, nothing yet? Yeah, so it's sneezing.
Speaker 2: They said, really, well, and we'll get to we'll get to simply get to that sea.
Speaker 1: But I mean that, I mean, what's the line. What are the expect for thirty five cents to live forever? So the idea that by buying a train ticket you you should.
Speaker 5: Die, You risk your life every time you go on the New York subway. That we also just love the shut up written sha double dap, like no one says shut up anymore.
Speaker 2: Walter Matthay was born in New York, but it feels like he's trying to do a Boston accent. I'm not knowledgeable enough in the accents and the vagaries of them, but the particulars of them or so. But it does sound like he's putting on an accent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, just lily livid and shut up. You don't hear like not since Joe Dolshi have we heard shut up?
Speaker 2: And one of the things I think they do is that is this idea there's a cop on the train, and the idea that they don't know if it's male or female.
Speaker 1: It's for me. It's seemed that he's setting up perhaps that the cop was female. Yeah. And then what I thought I guess was going to happen was the the bank the robbers were going to discover that there was a rat amongst them.
Speaker 5: It was funny the passengers on the on the train. I don't know if you watched the trailer the credits for it, they're all very stereoty. It was like the hippie, the prostitute, the like the mother, the old drunk, and it's like when they're just going but they don't really make it. It's just eighteen people. Like it's not like it's like they go, oh, the hippie is going to try and say peace, and the Jewish old Jewish guy is going to try and get in the way. It's just they're just eighteen passengers.
Speaker 1: They're warm props, you know. And like the African American guy with a bit of sass, like he's probably you know, the one you remember the most.
Speaker 2: I did love the woman who sleeps through it, you know it, Yes, as a joke. Yeah, yeah, there's the old guy, there's the what we'd call now sex work. And I at one point, did you kind of I guess work out who the cop may be? That's who I started thinking, might it might have been?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was a sex worker or the African American guy that my two. I thought, yeah, that that's who's going to be. Yeah, and just because he hasn't they both have a few lines. That's that's all I thought. Yeah, it's like when you see a famous actor in a small scene, you go, they're definitely coming back. They didn't just sign on for this. It's like in Mayor of Eastown, guy Pierce's character, I'm like, he's definitely he's he's there's something more to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that was ranging maryvis. I thought it was I guess a red herring where in this it feels like it feels like almost a bit of a cheet.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's.
Speaker 2: An old saying that if you see a gun in act one, it needs to go off, you know, yeah, by in act three. And so if they're planning this idea, if this idea of there's been there's a gun on board that we see that we're told, you know, there is a cop then and we do see it play out. But I feel like by really hiding the existence of that guy, I feel like that's one thing I feel.
Speaker 1: Could be better. Like they could have.
Speaker 2: Even if they decided they weren't going to make the passengers you know, we weren't going to see from passengers perspective. It was going to be pretty much told from their watermath owns and the mister Gray's and the perspective. But I think you could have given us something more to work on than just have a character who have barely spotted be the cop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean the other there was another scene in it where so they have all these police snipers in the like, so the trainings stopped for a long time. Yeah, and there's one police officer who's down there, and then all these snipers come down, so they don't know that they're there. And there's another thing where they just start firing at one point and you don't know as if you don't know who it was, and there's no repercussions of that sniper, Like you don't have the police yelling at them, going what did you do that for? It just happens. Someone gets shot on the train and it just yeah, it's not really talked about again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And you got that the black officer who's like on the on the side there, and and like when they take the money down, they shine a light and torch into their his face and you kind of think, well, that's probably a bad move. Yeah, like he should be not not you know, spotlighting people. But yeah, like there are things like and then what happens to him in the end, and even the mayor the mayor which is I think it will be a great character, and it's set up like where it's like, really, you know, they're playing a little bit of the politics. There's there's a line which also takes us back the dog day afternoon where they he said we don't want another Attica situation, which is a famous prison right that happened. We've spoken a bit on this podcast Josh about seventies films not being afraid to name check.
Speaker 2: And timestamp themselves to you know, events in their recent history. So Attica was a prison, right, and then that that would have been a year or two before this film was made. And they say, we don't want another Attica. So when they're negotiating with the mayor, who's he set up as a weasel, and we can see that his wife's kind of the I guess the backbone off top about the entire city. But there is a good negotiation. And let's say, have listened to the negotiations with the mayor.
Speaker 3: Alright out, you've heard from the three wise men.
Speaker 1: Now what do you say?
Speaker 3: What are they going to say, Warren?
Speaker 5: They oh, everybody, the press, the man on the street, you mean, the voters.
Speaker 3: You know what they're gonna say. The Times is gonna support you, The News is gonna knock you, the Postal take both sides at the same time, the ritual support you. Likewise, the blacks and the Puerto Ricans won't give a shit. So come on now, quit storm.
Speaker 5: You stop bullying everybody, you Warren, this is supposed to be a democracy.
Speaker 3: Why is that, for Christ's sake, we're trying to run a city, not a goddamn democracy.
Speaker 5: Ow quit farting around.
Speaker 1: We've got to pay Jesse. Jesse, what do you say?
Speaker 4: I know, a million dollars sounds like a lot of money, but just think what you're gonna get in return?
Speaker 1: What eighteen to two votes?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: All right? Warren Warren arranged for the payoffs.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, he's such a ways of a character. When he's in bad earlier and he's got a cold or a flu and his deputy mayor comes in, he like throws a used tissue.
Speaker 5: See that whole scene is it's almost just like a sketch, Like it's just it's not not really, it's like a comedy sketch. It's got all the beats of a comedy sketch. And then the punchline at the end with his wife saying it's eighteen guaranteed votes and that's and there's another scene. I won't give that away, but there's an another scene which is also I think, just an another sketch. It doesn't really it's you could just watch that on its own and that's your movie or that's your that's your scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a great line.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if it's there was a portion of that scene there, I think if it's the scene or another scene, but there's a great line where because he's so afraid of being booed, that's his big.
Speaker 1: Fear and and and all.
Speaker 2: Being shot and they said the guy his deputy mayor says that they have no reason to shoot you, and he says, why do you think they're from out of town?
Speaker 1: But with all this, so it's kind of set up.
Speaker 2: I liked kind of following this and because it was funny, but also it's the idea of like seeing how they kind of respond, like and there's a whole thing that you don't.
Speaker 1: Negotiate with terrorists, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do ponder that, but I was kind of thinking in by hand, in fact, they wrote it down.
Speaker 1: They can't pay the ransom.
Speaker 2: It's one of the things we kind of know in movies now, like yeah, and probably movies made since nineteen seventy four. You just don't pay the ransom, like you might pretend to pay the ransom, but they kind of just pay the ransom with that a real plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think where the thing was, how are they going to escape, and so they thought they'd get I guess they're thinking we'll get the money back when we catch them, because they've got to come out of the subway somehow. Yes, yeah, And so that's and that's the thing where Walter Matho's character is like, no, these guys have thought of everything, and so he's trying to like be one sep ahead of them, going all right this, and that's when he realizes because they're off to the end of the line to catch them, and he's like, no, this doesn't make any sense, and so he he goes back on his own, which also makes no sense. Well, just one cop on his own. Yeah, I'll just go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I got to say the the officer, who's uh, the commissioner, Let's just call him the commissioner. He's a black man, and he's he's like he's trying to play a white man because he says he agrees to turn it around, and he goes turn this car around and burn rubber delivery of it.
Speaker 1: He made be the young.
Speaker 2: Cooler black man I've ever seen on screen. But even even that, like I really I.
Speaker 1: Really enjoyed this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I forgive it all for that, you know, any kind of perceived shortcomings. And maybe we are so indoctrinated with tropes now that the things we think should happen, and then when they don't happen, we're like, well hang on. But walderon math how like, usually there'll be something that he thinks of that has been laced earlier in the movie that he realizes, I hang on, they're not going to the end of the line. It just but and we're supposed to as an audience, we're supposed to see that moment. We don't get that moment. Walder Matt how just kind of says, hang on, these guys are smart. They're not getting off the track. Turn his car around like yeah, and.
Speaker 5: He knows exactly the spot they got off as well, Which is.
Speaker 1: The things I do really well.
Speaker 2: I think for about half an hour in or so, there's always they do a good job of the building the momentum, you know, the planning, the idea there's a cop on the train, so you're asking yourself questions, okay, where is the cop?
Speaker 1: And then the idea of like how will they escape?
Speaker 2: This is It is quite fascinating and potentially it's also like I guess we see what their planning was, and it's you know, it's not a bad plan. The idea of the death handle is brought up, which is the idea that you need you do need somebody driving the train. But they were not exactly sure what they've done, but we accept, Okay, they this guy's drives has driven trains.
Speaker 1: I guess he knows, you know, putting a crowbar in there or something, or.
Speaker 5: Weld something there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they so they get out and the officer comes up.
Speaker 1: But I was really surprised at how quickly they were all taken down. Like the idea, I was sure they're going to get the street level and there's going to be a chase through the streets, at least for one of them.
Speaker 5: There was just only only one escapes. I don't want to give it away.
Speaker 1: But well, yeah, you haven't seen it. Spoilers because if we haven't seen it, certainly stop now and somebody will do move on to the podcast first and then they do watch it. But maybe from this point they've given you enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the fact that only so mister Green gets away, who's the oldest of them, is kind of you know, he's the one I wanted to get away as well. The rest are kind of like you know that they are villains, but the fact that so they turn on each other because one doesn't want to give his gun away even though it's it's huge. You can't walk through the streets with like a massive automatic weapon, like, but no, I don't want to do it. And then yeah, so then then they've got more cash to split, so they kill him and they split the cash. And then when the undercover cop is gets a clear shot and then he gets killed straight away as well, like he gets shot, and that's when Walter Matthew's character comes in and it does all happen very quick. All in this it's like we didn't we don't get the locations, we don't have any the budget for that, so we have it all said in this one area and then all the actions happening there, and then it's almost that could have been the end of the movie as well, like so mister Green gets away with it and Walter Mathew catches the ring letter in mister Blue played by Robert Shaw, and so but then there is the five minute coder of all right, we've still got to find out our missing guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have you have mister Robert Shaw, who listeners.
Speaker 2: If you listen to the Jaws episode, we spke quite a bit about Robert Shaw with silly Piccola gives one of the.
Speaker 1: Great monologues in Jaws, and he's he's in a really good form here.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is before all the villains became Eastern European in American cinema cinema.
Speaker 1: So he's about to shoot, you know, execute the hippie, the policeman.
Speaker 2: Mathow comes in and then, like I must say, I was quite shocked as much as I was like, well, this is not what I was expecting, because usually it is the main villain is the one you kill last, you know, yes, yeah, yeah, John Rickman dies at the end of die Hard. You know, all the other ones get taken before him. And so that's what I was expecting, because I've been you know, I've grown up on movies and all the tropes.
Speaker 1: And and then it's a great line about like, do you know do they his executions still the electric chair? And in New York he says no, and he said it's a pity, and he basically let you.
Speaker 2: Keeps himself on the train line and I must say, I think I think I've had a camera on my mouth was a gape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that that third rail, which they kind of talk about it in the film as well. I said, because they get a lot of the passengers of the train off and they said, don't touch that third rail. They said, it's another of those Chekhov gun moments, So don't touch that third rail because you know, now we don't have that on the you can tread on the tracks now, and so, yeah, it is. It was a great and I was also very shocked that he did it. I thought, oh, no, he's gonna he's a smart guy, he's gonna get away with it. But no, he's just like, noah, I'm gonna take myself out so you can't.
Speaker 1: And then so one of the things they've set up earlier, which again is like he said, the Chekhov's gun is the the sneezy and yeah, and you know, to begin with, you think is it an actor's choice, you know, But then it's so it's so prevalent that you kind of go, Okay, this is going to mean something. Every time he sneezes. What I'm at, how garbage? Says gazuntite.
Speaker 5: Yes, because the first one, I thought, Oh, that's just a funny thing. He's just so cool in a situation like this, He's so calm, he's just gonna say type. Then I think he does it like three times in the negotiations over the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's really it's really good. So they rack up, they rock up to the to his apartment, you know, and.
Speaker 1: And by this stage, you know it's going to play a part like I was expecting, maybe in the tunnel, like they might be looking for him in the dark, you know, and maybe he hasn't got a gun, so he's unarmed. So what I was there and he he can't find him. He's saying come out, and then he sneezes, and that kind of gives him away. They didn't go to that angle, and I'm glad they He's basically doing a demi more indecent proposal yet there and and they come knocking Jerry Stiller and and there's some questioning.
Speaker 2: There was a nice touch of the you know, one of the bundles of cash being near the bedside table. Yeah, it's it's it's pretty tense. He puts the he's put all the stash in the oven, which is a nice move, and.
Speaker 5: Jerry Stiller wants to light his cigarette because I'll just go to the stovetop. But then he gets freaking let me do it. The oven's tricky. So I like, I like Walter Matthore walking in and the place is it's a shithole he has and he goes, Oh, I like what you've done with the place.
Speaker 1: It literally, it literally is the size of you know, it's it's almost the size of a modern kitchen in a way like it's it's the whole place. Yes.
Speaker 2: So then so then they're gonna, you know, there's a good questions that they're satisfied enough, they say they might come back again.
Speaker 1: They c the door just as he's about to close the door, and you can see it coming. Yes, he sneezes. What matth Aw says, kazuntite, And then the door opens and that beautiful old man white face.
Speaker 2: Is there, that hound dog face that we spoke of earlier is there with a how would you describe that look that he gives.
Speaker 5: Josh, it's a real sitcom moment. It's real like you expect. It is where you expect the theme of the Odd Couple to play the credits roll. It was produced by James Burrows. That kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 5: For a film that was like, it's all so cool and like the music, the score is so great and it really drives it. That scene, even though I really like it, I like that's how they end it. It's a real kind of he's a wink to the camera kind of we've got him, Like yeah, and that's how it ends.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: I kind of was laughing. It almost had, you know, my hands in the air when he we saw that face and then when it cut the black it was like, whoa, they went there. They actually ended it on that shot. That is incredible. We've spoken a lot on this podcast about the movies in the seventies they get in late and they get out early, and this, yeah, this may top all of them as far as getting out early.
Speaker 1: Like with that said, with that said, there's not actually much more. Like they have rounded everybody up. It does. It makes enough sense. I'm not sure what else you need to know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't need to see the money go back to the bank, the mayor have a wave on the steps of Parbor House and get his kudos, and you don't need any of that. You just go, all right, Walter Matho's the hero here, he's got his win.
Speaker 1: That's great, Yeah, it is. It is so good. One other thing I would just want to mention. You mentioned the mayor, and I forgot to mention it earlier. Again, one of these things that they set up what you expect, like after that scene that we heard, you basically don't see the mayor again, Like you don't see him make any speech or you get on the blowhorn. The only thing you do is he it's actually quite nicely done. Is he here booing? Yeah? And then one of the.
Speaker 2: Cops say is, oh he comes to he comes to mayor, which is it's it's quite funny. But I'm surprised again that they just went They said, they put a lot of energies setting the mayor up, and then they there's no there's no payoff at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's it's one of those things. Also, like we say that influenced Tarantino as well, but also apparently influenced the New York Subway because they for many years didn't have a train going from Pelham at one two three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard I heard that. Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 5: Funny that people are like, oh no, we don't. It's like that thing of like flights not having seat number thirteen, even though if you're sitting fourteen you can count and go, this is absolutely thirteen. It's the same. Yeah, superstitious kind of thing. Yeah, it's got gonna matter, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we watched that. This is the final episode of this series of you ain't seen nothing yet. We were back with a fourth series.
Speaker 1: But it was a good one. I'm glad. I love but equally watching a favorite film of mine.
Speaker 2: I watched Breakfast Club last week with Damian Power and that was great to revisit that, and do you know, to introduce a new film for somebody, But also I do love and I haven't seen the film and I get to watch it, and I really enjoyed watching The Taking of palam one two three.
Speaker 1: So do you do you understand that it's a classic. You're happy for it to be labeled a classic?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely. It's rated a one hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I'd say, yeah, it's a it's a classic film. It's real. It of its era, New York of its era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have spoken about it a bit where yeah, things that it's great to see a film and kind of go oh and resual dogs we've mentioned is the obvious example, but it is good to see ah that is where that's where those tropes came from and where they began. And there's it's been quite a lot of times in this podcast where it has not necessarily with this movie, but there's been movies where people have come on and gone, oh, now I understand all those Simpsons episodes and all those Simpsons references Citizen Kane.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yes, now I get it. Now I get it. But mate, thank you so much. I know this movie.
Speaker 2: This podcast comes with homework. I'm really glad you did it. I mentioned it at the start. Let's mention it again while you hear your podcasts. Congratulations on the stunning success of your podcast. Don't you know who I Am? It is such a kick, fun, joyous podcasts, both to listen to and to do, as I've been lucky enough to do a few times.
Speaker 1: And are you what do you want to have?
Speaker 4: Honey?
Speaker 1: When do you want to play this stuff? But people can, yeah, just go.
Speaker 5: It's comes out every every single week, so you've got two hundred and seventy one episodes.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 5: Start with the ones peezz on he's been on like four or five times, I think, so a couple of live ones and a studio one, and yeah, just there's so many people who you'd know on this, so just find the ones that you think, oh yeah, I like this person listening, and then go through the back catalog. So it's out every single Thursday. It's called Don't you Know Who I Am? Get it where you get podcasts?
Speaker 1: Fantastic Josh, thanks so much mate.
Speaker 2: Well there it is the final episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet for season four. We will attempt not to be off air for too long. In a way, I would like to just keep rolling, because I know a lot of the country is in lockdown as we record this, but I do like to get ahead with the episodes otherwise it gets a little bit stressful. So we're going to record some, get ahead of ourselves in a production point of view, not in an ego point of view, and then we'll roll them out as quickly as we can.
Speaker 1: What we might do though, is actually maybe just put out re release. I know you can find him any time, but still maybe this re release some of our favorite episodes, just to nudge you in their direction. That might be a nice idea. Really loved to hang that with Josh. He is a funny guy, smart guy. It's a lovely bloke.
Speaker 2: And yeah, really really glad he nominated The Taking of Palm one two three for that.
Speaker 1: WALTI mathow Space. I just can't. It's just it's just the best. It's the greatest. Derek, have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: And I'd never heard of it. And I just about watched the new one when you rang and I said, I found it on one of the streaming things, and you suggested another one, and I went to that one. I thought, maybe it'll be better resolution, and I found the old one. I was like, oh, of course.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't think to ensure that you're watching the right one. Yes, I'm not sure if we'll probably cover the the reboot, the two thousand and nine reboot starring Washington and Travolta, but I.
Speaker 4: Tried watching that as well. Afterwards, I thought, I'm going to try the Daily Double, and yeah, I just fell asleep in.
Speaker 1: The right day, on the right right frame of mind. I might I might give it a go. I do I do hear that Gibalta plays it over the top as opposed to Robert Shaw's you know, you know, calm English gentleman. Gervrolda goes you know a well a little bit with his character Walter Mathow.
Speaker 4: As soon as he appeared, it was like, oh my god, it's Steve Guttenberg with a Richard Nixon mask. I couldn't get that out of my head. And my wife walked in and she goes, I didn't know he was that tall. And then later on in the film when he appears and the cop goes, I didn't expect you to be that tall. And I'm starting to think maybe Walter Mathow copped that affair. People assumed he was little.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, yeah, well I think I do believe he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was quite tall. I'm not sure he was with the odd couple with Jack Lemon. You know, I've seen you a couple obviously over the years, but I don't know if Jack Lemon was small.
Speaker 1: That was part of the pairing or not. I know what a Mathau was.
Speaker 2: I think the messy one and Jack Lemon was the clean, cleaner one. But anyway, yes, I really, I really enjoyed checking that out, of course, Derek. For those who don't know, he is the man behind Castaways Studios dot com dot au. If you're looking to get a podcast up off the ground, he is the man to speak to Castaways Studios dot com dot au. When we are recording a lot of these recent episodes, not in the lovely studios off Castways studios in Collingwood in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: We are doing these remotely. So I think they've been sounding pretty good. I got to say, but you know, not as pristine an experience as you get in the studios a Castaway. So thanks another great season, Derek.
Speaker 4: It's been awesome. For the after party, I was thinking of maybe staying at home with the kids.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna putter around the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, maybe bake some bread.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's been a fun season. I feel like though the season three have you Ain't seen nothing yet? Feels like there's three kind of kinds of movies I think we've done. I think we've done a lot of Kubrick, a lot of John Hughes, and a lot of nineteen seventies New York films.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of New York going on and so it's got to.
Speaker 1: Be a good film. Oh, they are great.
Speaker 2: We did a taxi driver they after do it and taking a pal on one two three, John Hughes, we did well playing Strange at Automobiles. I think win Science was early on in this. In this one with Claire Hooper and then the Breakfast Club last week. We've done it pretty in pink. Previously with Husy and Kubrick. We had almost almost three or four episodes in a row where it was Lisa mckiern doing full Metal Jacket, and we had the Shining with Tommy Dassilo, and then two thousand and one with Tony Armstrong. Really in fact, in fact, Stephen Gates nominated Dr Strange Glove and I said, mate, I'm sorry, you can't do it with this a bit of a Kubrick overload going on at the moment, So choose another one, and thankfully he did with the Parasite with him so great, A really fun season. Looking forward to a fourth season. Some of the names of people who will be have been chatting to Kate Lambrook.
Speaker 1: He's very keen to come on.
Speaker 2: Charlie Pickering, Ryan Shelton, a whole bunch of mates, I'm also really keen to have some comics that you may be less familiar with, you know, And to be honest, I'm kind of in contact with some comics that I don't even necessarily hang out with a whole bunch. So there'll be some episodes and I'm really looking forward to this where I'm also kind of getting to know my guests. You know, it's great to be that I can just bring up a friend and get them to come on, but I kind of want to brant it all out and the community out and then.
Speaker 1: Introduce you to some new voices. So I look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Now you can get in touch with us at yasny podcast at gmail dot com and let us know what you think of the show, any movies you would like us to cover, any guests that you would like us to approach.
Speaker 1: I do the way we do it is I approach your guests.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they know exactly the movie, they know they haven't seen it they've always wanted to see. Other times, I provided him a list of thoughts starters, and there's a there's been a hundred movies on that list, and they pick a couple and then we work out which one.
Speaker 1: So it's easy to pick a guest than.
Speaker 2: It is the big A movie, because you know, you've got to find the guests who can do the podcast, and then which movies they haven't actually seen. I'm very strict on Sometimes people say I've seen half of that film, and I'm like, no, you need to have seen none of it. It needs to be a clean experience. So yeah, were already looking forward to having more people and seeing more movies. Derek, how else can people get in touch with us or help out the podcast?
Speaker 4: Well, apart from the email, which is yasny Podcast at gmail dot com, look the iTunes rating and wherever you are, whatever platform you're on, a rating, a five star rating and a review really really helps the secret algorithms, but also helps us know what you like and what films you're interested in, and what works and what doesn't. So that's really good. I've got a couple here that I wouldn't mind reading out. That's all right?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, bringing on so recent rating from Just Another Mother. It took me a while to work that name out. They said, absolutely love listening to this while I'm driving, walking, or working from home. I have liked Pete for a long time, but did not realize how much he knows about movies.
Speaker 1: Ah, thank you.
Speaker 4: I love hearing him talk to guests about movies I have seen and getting a new perspective on them, and hearing about movies I'm yet to watch, but we'll definitely watch now thoroughly recommend. Thanks Just Another Mother, Thank you, Just Another Mother.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we loved in the podcast, and I'm glad, you know, it's a real thrill to know that you've been you've played a small part in helping people find, you know, new movies aparticlarly. Yeah, classic movies, and it's one of the things I've really enjoyed, you know, Like I mentioned the Josh, I've really I really enjoy revisiting movies I've seen, you know, another love and talking to someone who's just watched it for the first time as they process, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's what this podcast is. It's not necessarily Yeah, there is obviously largely review elements to it and critique, I guess, but it really is about somebody who's just watched a film and are still processing it, to be honest, because they've watched it that morning or the night before but yeah, I really, I really do enjoy finding films myself that I haven't seen, so more of that hopefully in season four, maybe one more Derek.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this one's from DS North Kit. They say such a welcome relief in Lockdown. Thank you to all the team that make an effort to bring us all on a journey each week we can get about real life and live in a movie discussion for a short time. Great discussions, love the quirky facts.
Speaker 1: Just thank you going your DS Northcote. I assume you might live in Northcolte.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and you thank the team involved, and the team really is Derek and myself, and credit to you, Derek.
Speaker 1: You have done a great job putting this podcast together.
Speaker 2: So many of my guests, obviously I'm largely comedians, you know, ninety percent of them walk out asking for Derek's card, and I know some even recently been in touch about recording and setting up their podcasts with you. So thanks again mate. It's been a great season. More of it coming through. We will try not to be off life or two long. But like I said, there are sixty one films and episodes you can watch and we might Yeah, just you know, put out retrospectively some of our favorite episodes in the interim you can enjoy it, maybe some that you haven't caught. Yeah, and I know as we wrap it up, I know where in lockdown as we record this it is. It's tough for everyone, no doubt, and hopefully you know, movies and this podcast have given some small a small bit of solace and escapism. But just reach out to your friends and loved ones. There is you know, some optimism. Hashtag get facks and let's all hopefully when we're out of this, would love to do some live shows. Meet some of you face to face would be great. So that's something to look forward to and I can't wait to meet you all on the other side. So thank you until next time. Bye for now, and so we leave all Pete
Speaker 1: Save fan soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.