Speaker 1: In nineteen fifty eight, a writer by the name of Truman Capote heard of him had the idea to write what he called the first non fiction novel, huh, in which he wanted to take on a real life event and turn it into a story. He just couldn't find the right subjects. That was until one day when he opened the newspaper in nineteen fifty nine and saw in the New York Times that a farmer and his entire family from Kansas had been murdered in their home with no suspects. So Capodi and his good friend Harpily went out to Kansas and began to investigate and deep dive into this family's lives and their tragic deaths. He would be there for the capture of their killers and many many years after, and this story would go on to become the one and only novel in killing Talking in cold blood.
Speaker 2: I love this book so much.
Speaker 1: Well, today we're talking about this story behind the book, the Clutter family murders. Oh wow, Hey, can I start this today's episode with the cheers? Of course you're too far away, but do just do this ready? Two?
Speaker 2: Three cheers?
Speaker 1: Welcome to another crime podcast. I'm Georgia Love.
Speaker 2: I'm Sammy Peterson.
Speaker 1: I'm a journalist. I am not And if you just want to hear the story about the Clutter family murders today, you can skip ahead through our banter or past our banter. The time coat is in the show notes. But thank you so much. I've been doing it for a year now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're getting real good sleep.
Speaker 1: And I have missed some episodes, but you have not. You've been on every episode, every episode. No, we did one in Adelaide.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've spoken about Himo because you're obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Her, but he was on FaceTime the whole time. That's true, chatting to me. He's having a drink of water really loudly in the background, are saving Peterson?
Speaker 1: Do you notice anything different about me today?
Speaker 2: Yes? I you aren't wearing shoes. Who are you to mintion? You're wearing You're wearing a beautiful miss Piggy T shirt today.
Speaker 1: So, dear listeners, if you were listening, I should say, when you were listening to our one year anniversary episode with special guests Oliver Clark and Myth Warhurst, you would have heard me say I had ordered a special T shirt to wear on that episode because it cast your mind's back to when we had myth Warhurst on her first Thursday Trade episode. We was speaking about miss Goddamn Piggy and Mis said she was her icon growing up, yes, and still is to this day now. The T shirt did not arrive in time for me to wear on that episode, but I'm wearing it today because if you think I'm not just gonna wear it in everyday life, you don't know me at all. It is a picture of Miss Piggy in an orange sequin dress with an orange for the bower, with the words in the font of one T swift new album, The Life of a show Girl.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I'm showing the camera for YouTube.
Speaker 2: It's just great.
Speaker 1: And she actually her name is Kitty. She made her money being pretty and witty.
Speaker 2: That's right, but it is such a oh it's.
Speaker 1: Her name is Piggy. She made him money, pretty and weirty. I love this T shirt so much and I just wore it to work today and people asked me what it was for, and I was like, I don't understand the question. I'm wearing today.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a beautiful Miss Piggy T shirt. Coming as well. Don't tell me wait, okay, it's going to be good. I'll tell you that much is going to be very good.
Speaker 1: We just each order ourselves T shirt.
Speaker 2: I saw it a few weeks ago and I just ordered it. But it's coming from the United States of a Marriage America, so it's it's it's coming, but it's going to be a little bit late. But as soon as as soon as it arrives I'll be wearing my piggy T shirt as well.
Speaker 1: Sammy, let's stop talking about this because something much more important needs to be spoken about your comedy special. Why the long face is out for everyone to what it's out.
Speaker 2: There's a link there. So I had a real disappointing day the first day that it came out. Sadly it was posted without an ending. It cut.
Speaker 1: I think it's Famously Stories, So your comedy special is a story. It's not just a series of jokes. Famously stories don't need the last twenty minutes to make sense. So I don't know what you're upseent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so my story builds up to a point and it cuts me off mid sentence like it was an episode of The Sopranos. The final episode of Sopranos and so.
Speaker 1: And not even just like the last moment, like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it cut twenty minutes out, and so the comedy club who uploaded all like, oh my god, I'm so sorry, and it was the last twenty minutes. So five over five thousand people watch it without the ending, and so they just think that I probably just had a special that just ended, Sam in the middle of a sentence.
Speaker 1: Can I say to you? And I was actually talking to my friend about this today when I told her what had happened, huh, and she said the same thing I said to you. And I feel overwhelmingly you had five thousand people watch your comedy special on the night it was released. I know that was a shitty night because it went wrong and that ending wasn't there. Can we just for the rest of forever make sure we focus on that amazing positive five thousand people watched your comedy special the very night it was released.
Speaker 2: That is a massive, it's amazing. But they did not have an envy. So I'm going to go to every this is my plane, Okay, yeah, I'm going to go to all of the people's houses that's watched that episode. Yes, well, that that's kind of an episode I watched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first part of it.
Speaker 2: Wats the first part of the special, Yes, and I'm going to perform from the moment it cuts off to the end.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: So five thousand. So how many is that? If I do?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, but if I do for the next year, yep, how many? G love, I know you're very good at math, yes I am. How many would I have to do a day?
Speaker 1: I think three three a day to make five thousand out of three hundred and sixty.
Speaker 2: Five And you're confident about that, you.
Speaker 1: Look, because it's not a leap yeer. So there are three hundred and sixty five days, okay.
Speaker 2: The three hundred and fifth sixty five days times three is five thousand. Okay, great, I'm not going to check this, but that's.
Speaker 1: Not that much because twenty minutes times three is obviously an hour.
Speaker 2: I'm not stupid. Yea one hour a day.
Speaker 1: It's for four years. Yeah, you so not the calendar year for the next three hundred and sixty five days.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it just depends where you're living as well. So I'll have to account travel and everything into that, but I will do it. And so if this is my this is my message to you. If you watch that, yes, and you didn't see the last twenty minutes, email me your address, no, just email me.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh okay, and then you'll find you address it. I'll find you because you're not a journal, must be your.
Speaker 2: Hack, and I will find you. I know your IP address. I will find you. It was the last thing I do, and I will do twenty minutes of comedy at you from the moment it stopped. Yeah, and I'll get.
Speaker 1: Really and you'll you'll know exactly exactly you'll pick up your centered.
Speaker 2: And that that's so well honed as well to it.
Speaker 1: And the thing is because that was just this week that that happened. So for the people who get their last three performances on the three hundred and sixty fifth day, yes, that'll remember where it left.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it's that. Yeah, you remember that stuff. So yeah, So my comedy special is out now. I have put it on my social media, so if you want to find it, it's right media, yep. But it it's at Sammy Peterson Unofficial.
Speaker 1: Have I told you that when you first changed your handle to that, I thought it was Sammy Peterson official, and I was like, oh my god, good for your big dog. You've got some confidence about you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, because it's unofficial. Yeah no, no, no, you've changed, man. But I kind of like, yeah, yeah, no, I've got a I just thought Sam Peter's not official was fun. But then most people who write it right official.
Speaker 1: So because everyone knows you have got down boss lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a boss lady. I'm absolute boss lady.
Speaker 1: Hey talking about boss ladies, well, hang on, first of all, have to say that huge congratulations and I'm really plad thank you so much. I'm talking about boss ladies. Do you know good Friend sticker is by Claws.
Speaker 2: Yes, I Love one of our beautiful.
Speaker 1: Listeners who had sent us stickers before. Well, there is a little envelope here that says to Sammy and g Love, maybe.
Speaker 2: Cover up the address on YouTube? Oh yeah, yes, yes, by Claude.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to do that again?
Speaker 2: That's fine?
Speaker 1: Blur And it actually says on the back for the stickers by Court, should I read out her address?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're going to do a live unboxing, which will be funny if it's just like a I know like a love letter. Actually, that would be great. I can see cats, I can see car.
Speaker 2: You didn't get cats last time?
Speaker 1: Yours never had a jolts god, wait god, all right, there's a little handwritten note in it as well.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, clave.
Speaker 1: You skip to the band you wouldn't get all right, I'm gonna oh my god, I'm gonna read the night first. Dear Sammy and Georgia, you guys are the best. Still loving your podcast obviously, and I also agree with your many other listeners that the long episodes are great and definitely worth it. I've recently released a couple of new sticker sheet designs and I thought you both would like to share them. Thanks again for always providing the best stories of forever love your pod and happy one year. Oh my god, I love you. P has never stopped the musical references. Gee, I love them and I never say no to a chance to sing along with you. Lots of love, Claudia. Okay, which one should I go with today? Give me musical?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'll give it. I saw cats.
Speaker 2: Any questions yep?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Well there's a sticker sheet of cats in front of me, and I saw the musical Cats the other night. So I'm going to sing.
Speaker 2: This when you're a jet you're j come on, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To sing this well, never as a cat, the cat as clever as magical, mister Mastore, p please. And also this one, No, I don't remember rum Tum Tuger's song. I just remember that the guy who played it was hot.
Speaker 2: Well you've done a good job, thank.
Speaker 1: You very much. And I know this one as well, jelquos in and Jelicus do and jelicusmen and Jelicus So I don't know the words to that either, but when when Powdery is being a pest I sing to her that she's being a pestickle cat.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, O can we have beautiful stickers? And there's dog ones as well. Okay, so I'm going to show the YouTube. This is the sticker sheet of cats. This one as long as the bubblebee, like there's one catist just a bubble bee.
Speaker 2: Hilarious.
Speaker 1: That one looks like poetry. And this one is hilarious because it doesn't ever know and it's just like, oh.
Speaker 2: So do you make the best stickers?
Speaker 1: And this is the dogs ones And there's not really a dibber on there, there's a Dalmatian and can you please tell everyone the story about So.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a dalmation on my street the other day that didn't have a collar on. We named him Spot and uh and it was like that of Krouella. And we're walking walking home and the dog was playing with Digs. Little puppy dalmatian walked all the way home with us and then came in the gate and I was playing with Digs in here and then the owner called out to it.
Speaker 1: Damn it, I saw you were getting.
Speaker 2: He was a baby brother that he's always wanted.
Speaker 1: Well, now you can have a picture of the baby brother Spot. I know. There's also a picture of a grab A Corgy on there and they are famously that's the dog I want to get. Get a dog and I want to name her Chappelle Corgy.
Speaker 2: That's good. I love that. I love that. I really need to do it, yea. And it just.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not wearing shoes, you think my foot.
Speaker 2: Is very rude. But we are going to be doing an episode today that we did on a book called He Read.
Speaker 1: She Read a podcast called God But We We.
Speaker 2: We We go Oh God. But went into a book dubb into a book called In Cold Blood. It was really good and we might be book talk stars. Is that a thing? There's an ex bachelor that is a book talk star.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's currently on the Australian season of He.
Speaker 2: Okay he was that. He became a book talk star and maybe that's what we need to do because now he's got a podcast.
Speaker 1: We already have a book, I know.
Speaker 2: But if we go big on book talk talk, we can get another book, can get another podcast podcast. No, you're right, we don't have time.
Speaker 1: We could get sent free books.
Speaker 2: Yes, how good would that be?
Speaker 1: Well maybe I should leave the address on the YouTube and people can send us books.
Speaker 2: Okay, now leave the address up. It's gonna be for me, but let's do it. I love book but we did go on that podcast and it was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's weird. Two Australian authors named Jp Pom and Sarah Bailey. They both written thriller books and lots of them and numerous that I have read before before we were asked to go the last few years. They're both fantastic. JP wasn't there, so she invited us on as guests because we're famous book Tooks.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. We are famous book.
Speaker 1: Talk star and we spoke about the book in cold Blood. Now, I've said on the podcast many times before, I think even just in the very last episode with John Ronson on Thursday, that this was this was always my favorite book until I read Boy Swallows Universe by but it is a very close second.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I love obviously the true crime element of it, but the fact that it is. Like I said in the intro, it's kind of touted as the first non fiction novel, so it is a nonfiction story. It's about a true crime, but Truman Capodi has written it into a novel, so it reads like a fiction book.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: And we will talk a bit about that part of it and the true compoti part in this episode, but it's a true crime podcast, so we're mostly talking about the crime itself. If you want to hear Sammy and I go on a deep dive into our thoughts about the book and more about Trim and Campodi himself and what we think about how he wrote that, please listen to our episode. If he read, she read you simply mast and do you know much about the crime. I mean, obviously you've read the book as well. Yeah, but a lot of people talk about the book and not actually the Clutter Family murder where it became one of the most famous murders of.
Speaker 2: All time because of the book.
Speaker 1: So do you know a lot of details about it?
Speaker 2: Not really other than what's in the book. I mean, but I kind of got I guess I got a little bit sidetracked by Trim and Capodi and his It's a lot about.
Speaker 1: The town and characters and stuff as well, not just the.
Speaker 2: Crime, yes, and the killers as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything else you'd like to talk about before we delve into the Clutter Family murd.
Speaker 2: Well, you're away this weekend, so I'm going to watch Heated Rivalry? Are you really I'm gonna watch it?
Speaker 1: It's really funny that you said because I'm away, Like, because you know, if I was here and I knew you were watching, you come.
Speaker 2: Watching shouting at the TV. I'm a part of it. I imagine you're like, it's like people watching sports with people, like you're going to be shouting at the TV. Yes, And you're going to a music first all I've always wanted to go to called festival.
Speaker 1: So it's actually food and wine festival that has musical acts there as well, Jess Melboy, Grinspoon.
Speaker 2: British Gritty Spoon.
Speaker 1: Greenspoon, I'm going to Grimspoon and three small time comedians you might have heard of will also be performing there tomorrow named Luke McGregor, Nick Cody and Claire Hooper.
Speaker 2: That's a great line up. It's going to be fantastic, really fun. Well you're there, I'm going to be watching Heated Rivalry.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean this with all sincerity. I'm jealous of that.
Speaker 2: Well, jealous of you going to festival.
Speaker 1: They come to Festivale.
Speaker 2: You should have asked me a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Ago to be able to watch Heated Rivalry for the first time again. Yeah, something I'll never be able to do enough for.
Speaker 2: It is just it is.
Speaker 1: The best show ever written. I cannot stop thinking about it. Deeply in love with Hudson Williams.
Speaker 2: Which one's that one? We'll find out. Don't worry about it. We'll find out how you won't.
Speaker 1: Because it's the name of the actor. Okay, but we could talk about it. There's gonna be so much to talk about on episode.
Speaker 2: Let's do this week's episode then, la Kay.
Speaker 1: Last the Clutter family lived in Holcombe, Kansas.
Speaker 2: I know this.
Speaker 1: That after everything, Okay. The father, Herbert Clutter, was born in nineteen eleven, and his whole life was farming. He was an agricultural agent for the county and he went around teaching farmers as well as owning his own farm himself. And sorry and his father had done that as well. So farmer from way back. He started his own herbs, started his own farm in the nineteen forties named River Valley Farm, also in Holcombe, Kansas. He was absolutely beloved in the community. Labeled and I feel like you'll be able to guess the labels. You wouldn't say like beloved farmer guy? What did people say?
Speaker 2: He was wholesome? Yeah, and lovely and beautiful.
Speaker 1: Assault of the earth asault of the Earth's successful and stood up for the little guy like he wasn't just for himself and his family.
Speaker 2: His farmer, big farmer. That's clever, all right, big farmer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like that's very clever. But big farmer famously doesn't stick up with the little guy.
Speaker 2: I disagree. If you'd like to sponsor us big farmer, very aroviser, I don't think we should ask whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so herbs farm was thriving, but he also then fiercely advocated for smaller farms as well. He was the president of the National Association of Wheat Growers.
Speaker 2: He's a big farmer, He's a big, big farm.
Speaker 1: His whole family was very much the picture of the nineteen fifties perfect American family the earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, you got it, but I did tell you, Tom, this is gonna be.
Speaker 2: A long episode. Off we get like this.
Speaker 1: There's a real vibe in here today. I like it. It's fun. I'm having fun it because I've got my shoes off and a bigger tim mentioned an we singing tim mention some quickly.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll rushed through.
Speaker 2: Give you a treat to the end to get her through. Carrot, the danglous carrot whole tom So.
Speaker 1: President Eisenhower actually appointed herb Clutter to the Federal Farm Credit Board in nineteen fifty three.
Speaker 2: When you thought a farmer couldn't get bigger, bigger farmer, farmer.
Speaker 1: He was active in politics, both local and national. In contrast, however, his wife Bonnie was very introverted. Yes, she was salt of the earth. And lovely as well. But she wasn't this in it out about in politics? Yeah, the president knows him.
Speaker 2: Not life of a show girl.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, more a Kermit than a miss Piggy. She had severe depression and anxiety. Oh that's sorry, Coermet Yeah, maybe more an.
Speaker 2: Eel, Yeah, memorn Eel, the other famous muppet. Yes, the other famous muppet. Oh yeah, all right, we'll take a quick break.
Speaker 1: I just really wasn't expected to say that was quite fun. I just did a spit take.
Speaker 2: But it's not your nose. Yeah, it's disgusting. That's the probably the worst thing has ever happened on the book.
Speaker 1: She wears a pig t shirt or I think I can do this, So please don't make a clip of that.
Speaker 2: No, I won't make a clipper that because my face gone, Oh.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's disgusting. Oh my god. Okay, I can't. We're talking about Bondie Clott can't. All right, So Bondie Cloude had actually been hospitalized several times for months at a time with depression and anxiety. She also had nervous muscle spasms. She slept a lot, but she was really determined to get better. And to be well and present for her family when she was feeling good and more active in the community. She was an active member of the Methodist Church. She taught Sunday school, and she was part of the Women's Society of Christian Service. She was a good, wholesome sault of the American mother. She and Herb were very much in love and Herb really tried very hard to help and stand by her. So there was not I think I feel like often here, especially in you know the olden days, when someone has had postnatal depression or depressive episodes, it kind of is spoken about, as you know, and then the husband's like, oh, she's just sleeping all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This was very much not the case with this family. He understood that she was unwell and was was would really stand by her and was trying to do everything to help her.
Speaker 2: So sad, that's heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Herb and Bonnie had four children, had two older daughters, Evianna and Beverly, who were adults at the time and living out of the home.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep.
Speaker 1: And at the time of the incident we are discussing, they had a sixteen year old daughter, Nancy and fifteen year old son Kenyan who were living at home with them.
Speaker 2: It's such an interesting.
Speaker 1: Again before or since, if we have any listeners called Kenyon, please write in. Yeah, I didn't think we'd have a listener called Bought.
Speaker 2: I love Bort's voices.
Speaker 1: So they now I won't really bring I'll mention Evianna and Beverly again at the end, but they don't come up through the story. They weren't living at home at the time.
Speaker 2: And they weren't really involved in the book, were they, like.
Speaker 1: And that's okay? Well, yeah, yeah, That's what I'll talk about at the end, the fact that they weren't involved. So when I'm talking about the family and their clutter family and the whole family, I am just talking about Nancy, Kenyon, Bonnie and herb Yes, yep, I'm not discounting Evianna and Beverly. They weren't involved in the z y yep and they were. Nancy and Kenyon were the classic all American teens of the nineteen fifties like a Picture Greece the musical. They were younger kids, sorry, the younger kids were also very heavily involved in the Methodist Church and youth services. Nancy was popular pretty great a student, very classic. She had a boyfriend named Bobby Rupp.
Speaker 2: Such an American name, It's like I feel.
Speaker 1: Like that's a character from Greece.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Bobby.
Speaker 1: She was a member of the mixed chorus. She received the Good Citizen Award at school just days before her death. Spoiler alert, I'm sorry she does. Kenyan, the fifteen year old son, was also really popular, but much more quiet and reserve. Again. He was the Kermit to Nancy's miss Piggy beautifully poor, thank you. He had good grains. He was a star athlete, especially in basketball and track teams. They were a really, really close family who did a lot for the community. Now I'm going to tell you about two other people. A man named Richard known as Dick Hickock, was in Kansas State Penitentiary for robbery. His cell mate was a man named Floyd Wells, and as they got chatting in their cell, passing the time on each of their sentences, Floyd Wells told Dick Hickock that he went when he got out, he was going to rob an old farmhouse that he used to work at. The farmhouse was called River Valley Farm in Holcombe, Kansas. Floyd had worked there in the late forties and had worked for herb Clutter, and he told his cell mate Dick Hickock that he knew that herb Clutter kept ten thousand dollars cash in a safe in the house. Now I didn't actually do I want to quickly look that up. What that would be worth in today's Yeah, it would be, I mean quite significant of its.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, it's it's just interesting that he knew that from working on the farm. It just seems like such an interesting bit of information, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: I will will very much get into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay, not.
Speaker 1: Ten thousand dollars in nineteen forty This would be worse between three hundred and four hundred and fifty thousand dollars today. Okay, So that's all.
Speaker 2: So much money, just keeping you safe.
Speaker 1: Yes, So as Floyd was talking about this, Dick thought, well, I have less time on my sentence than Floyd does. I'm going to get it. I'm going to do that plan actually and break out and get not breakout, he was going to be released, but he's going to break into the house and get money. Now, let's talk about Dick Hiccock. Growing up, he was athletic smart and cool and a good looking guy. He didn't get a scholarship to college that he thought he would, and his family couldn't afford to send him to college, so he went straight into the workforce, doing odd jobs to make a dime. Now he was close with his family. His family was, you know, by all means, a kind of lower middle class family or even middle class family. They didn't have enough money to pay for his college, but they were, you know, a close family, tight knit. By age twenty eight, Dick Hickock had been married and divorced twice.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay by twenty eight did you say.
Speaker 1: By twenty eight? Wow? Yes, he would do anything to avoid working too hard. That probably counts for the marriages, sure, yeah, as well as in actual work. He was really spoken about as just a really lazy guy, right, Okay, He didn't want to have to do hard work, you know, even he didn't get the scholarship, so we went, okay, I just won't go to college or he didn't then you know, try to get a job to be able to put himself through college later. And he didn't like working because he wasn't doing jobs that he wanted to do, so he would get around doing a lot of robberies, stealing cars, stealing number plates, and he ended up in and out of jail quite a few times.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He'd also been in a car accident when he was younger. I didn't find that age. He was in the car accident and it left him with scars on his face, which he hated. He really cherished his good looks growing up. And he was not even self conscious. He was angry. He was not a good guy where we don't have to feel sorry. He would say that his face had been ruined, and he was really angry about that. He carried a real grudge. Agay, a new cell mate moved in next door to like you know, in the cell next to Perry and sorry to Floyd and Dick. And this man's name was Perry Smith. Now conversely to Dick. He grew up in a very poor and a very violent family. His parents were both severe alcoholics, and his parents and siblings had mental health issues. He didn't finish school, and he didn't have many skills to maintain a job, certainly not a good job. It was a very different upbringing to Di's. He'd never had a long term girlfriend, he didn't have the love and support of his family, as Dick had. He joined the army in nineteen forty eight and was honorably discharged in nineteen fifty two, but had no job skills so really struggled. He became a drifter and again, like Dick, was arrested a lot for petty crimes. Now, the difference between Dick and Perry in committing crimes is it spoken about more as if Dick did the crimes because he was well a Dick, and Perry because he was more desperate. He didn't have money, he couldn't get a job, and that's why he'll do the crimes. I mean, that's not an excuse, but that was his excuse.
Speaker 2: Sure, yep.
Speaker 1: In nineteen fifty six, Perry and Dick were at Lancing, Sorry I said, I said Kansas State Penitentary.
Speaker 2: Though know they were at long Lancing, Okay.
Speaker 1: Floyd Wells says that Dick became obsessed with the thought of this ten thousand dollars in the farmer's house in Hosmol So.
Speaker 2: Much money, yes, wild, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dick would say that he was going to take this new friend, Perry Smith, because he was dumb and impressionable and he was going to steal the money from the safe when they got out of prison. Now, Dick saw something in Perry that he had, something that he wanted. So Perry had something that Dick wanted, and that was the skills of a natural born killer. According to Dick.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Perry also then saw something in Dick that he didn't have. That was confidence, the ability to make a move without second guessing yourself.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, so.
Speaker 1: They see each other as the person he's going to make this robbery actually happen. Neither of them would do it on their own. They can do it together, and Perry was always seeking Dick's validation. Again, they grew up very differently. Perry grew up quite unloved by all accounts, and Dick really took him under his wing, and Perry kind of really took to that and wanted to impress him and be friends with him. Perry got parole on July sixth, nineteen fifty nine. He had to leave Kansas. Under his parle conditions, he wasn't ever allowed back in the state or for the parole term. He wasn't allowed back in the state.
Speaker 2: Interesting not to be allowed back in the state usually think that you actually have to stay some ways people can keep an eye on you, but not allowed in the state. Since it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know if this is the case, but it feels like they've gone, well, if you're going to do more petty.
Speaker 2: Crimes, not on our URMs, go to another state someone else. Yeah, yeah, but it does feel like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But he did stay close by to Kansas, so as close as he could possibly be, because he was waiting for Dick to get out and he wanted to be as close as it could be. Dick was meant to get out many months later, but he actually got an early release and was released in August, so just about five or six weeks after Perry was released. Dick moved back in with his parents for a few months so he could save up some money, and the two men wrote letters back and forth talking about their plan to rob the clutter farm. Perry was hesitant. He didn't want to mess up his parole by returning to Kansas. Apparently it wasn't the robbery that worried him, it was just breaking parole. I think he was so they'd convince themselves they're never going to get caught, so it's like what if what if we get pulled Oh yeah, what if we get pulled over while I'm in Kansas and they find out that I'm here, like the robbery part, we won't get caught for that. Very smart people. After many letters back and forth and Dick's insistence, Perry said, Perry said, LFG, let's fucking go. Don't know if he actually said he did, and he probably didn't write LFG hand drawn a little bomb thing. So it was planned that they would meet in Olatha, which is close to the Missouri border, in early November. Right, they got there on November fourteen.
Speaker 2: This it was quite a long time, like August to November, because.
Speaker 1: Remember I said that they were planning it out. Yeah, Dick moved back in with his parents so they could plan it for a while without kind of the you know, guards of the prison watching them and could save up some money. They could both do some you know, little jobs here and there to make some money, and they wanted to make sure they had this plan or you know down pat They also knew that Floyd Wells was the only other person that kind of as far as they knew, knew about this cash and was robbing and he was still behind bars, so they weren't like, oh, someone else was going to get the cash first. So on November fourteen, they stole a car in Olatha and they drove four hundred miles, which is about six hundred and fifty kilometers, such a long way, which to me my mind was like that, I don't really know what that means. So I looked it up and that's the same distance as if you were drive to drive from Melbourne to Canberra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. It's like eight hours.
Speaker 1: Ye into that like I mean yea on Google Maps and said driving to Melbourne to Cambra it will be eight hours. Don't know how long it took, like a Chevy in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's such a long drive.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they drove to a place called Garden City, which is where hulkambe is. They stopped once on the way and bought nylon rope, rubber gloves, adhesive tape, and a small pocket knife. They arrived in Garden City just after midnight on December fifteenth, where they stopped for gas and then they drove the final mile to Hulkam and the River Valley Farm. River Valley Farm has a long a dirt driveway. Before they drove up to the farm. They stopped at the base of the driveway to kind of, you know, get themselves sighted up and like you know, try to low with their nerves and get themselves ready for this. They sat there to try to get their heads straight, and they saw a light go on in another house nearby, and they totally freaked out. Dix said, we can't do this tonight. No, no, no, you know there's lights on his rear. Freaked down, but't together. They catch their breaths, pull themselves together, and up they go on the long driveway towards the Clutter family far foot in the car in the car like at least a little bit of the way.
Speaker 2: In the they.
Speaker 1: Got yet right up to the house. Sorry. The next sentence says they parked the car near a side entrance to the house where Floyd had said there was an office with the safe with the cash, and the two men just warnders straight in to the office in the family hot door. Well, it's the nineteen fifties, it's a fine town and a farm that no doors were locked. Now, as I said, they stopped and bought rope tape and a pocket knife, and rubber gloves. But what they already had and brought into the farm with them was a large flashlight, a large hunting knife, and a shot gun for a robbery. Allegedly, Dick has the knife and Perry has the gun. Now, no one is in the office space that they walk into, so they rifle around and search for the safe, but they can't find it. Floyd had said it would behind the desk. It wasn't there. They're kind of looking in cupboards and stuff, and they're a bit confused because Floyd had also described this office as that really large and fancy, so they were assuming it would be really obvious this family was loaded. Yes, the office they found themselves in was just a tiny little home office was really modest and really normal, and importantly, there was no safe. Dick in particular is pierced. Yeah, he had planned this all out for months and was not going to leave without his money. He'd been planning it, or at least daydreaming about it, for five years. So what would you do if you were Dick and Perry in this situation.
Speaker 2: I would turn myself into prison.
Speaker 1: Into prison, rock up to prison.
Speaker 2: Go excuse me, sir, I was about to crime man.
Speaker 1: That's why you're good and that's why you're here today not in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Well Perry and Dick did was go and ask the family where the money was.
Speaker 2: So they're like holding them up and saying, you know where some money? Whars money?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to tell you exactly what they did. Unfortunately Chad's break. Perry and Dick walk into Herb and Bonnie's room and wake them with a flashlight. With the flashlight, flashlight straight to the eyes. Now, there are conflicting reports here about where the body was in that room or another room. Because of her her health issues, she would often sleep in a different room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, either way, it was their bedroom and at the very least Herb was in there. Yep, he was woken up by flashlight to the eyes and they demanded to know where the safe was. Herb said there is no safe in the house. They've never had a safe, and there's definitely no cash. He famously pays for everything by check. Yeah yeah, everyone in town will back this up. He says he never uses cash and ever gets paid in cash. He never pays with cash. Everything is by check. Because it's a business.
Speaker 2: You have to come back to that.
Speaker 1: He says that he'll write these men a check for any amount of money. He'll ride away everything he has, but please please please leave my family, Alie, this isn't good enough for Dick and Perry. They want that cash. Money. Yeah, So they go around to every room. They get the rest of the family and lock them all in the upstairs bathroom together, tying them up with the rope that they brought. While the family was then locked in the bathroom, Dick and Perry turned the whole house upside down, looking for cash, looking for any valuables they could find, but there was nothing. There was no safe and there was no cash. Herb had been telling the truth, So what did this make? These robbers do get even angrier, so they decide to take it out on the family and trigger warning here for the details.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: Herb sorry, Dick and Perry go up to the bathroom. They put tape over the mouths of the people that they had tied up. Dick takes the two males, Herb and fifteen year old Kenyon down to the basement of the house, where he throws Herb onto the floor and ties Kenyan up to a pipe in the corner of the room. He then goes back upstairs, grabs sixteen year old Nancy, takes her to her bed and ties her up to her bed posts. Now, when she's found she doesn't have tape on her mouth. The other family members all do. While this is happening, Perry is left in the bathroom to watch over Bonnie. She's hog tied on the floor with her mouth taped. At one point he offered her a chair because she looked uncomfortable. Then Dick comes into the bathroom and does the same thing to Bonnie, taking her to her bed and tying her to the bed posts. Dick and Perry then go down to the basement and Perry notices that herb is cold on the floor. It's a cement floor in the basement and its winter, So he gets pieces of cardboard and puts them down on the floor and places herb on top of them to make sure he's not as cold.
Speaker 2: It's such strange behavior in this sort of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, while this is happening, it's almost as if Kenyan seems to notice a hint of like compassion or maybe regret or softness or something. And Kenyan the fifteen year old boy says that the tires that he's turned up to the pole of the pipe with are kind of cutting off circulations to his wrists and they're hurting. So Perry cuts him free, takes him to a couch that's in the basement and ties him up there looser, and brings him a pillow places under his head.
Speaker 2: It's so bizarre, it is sunny, bizarre behavior, bizarre. Now, what you're going to go through with this, you'd imagine you'd be callous.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing, right, So I don't want to give any spoilers, but the episode is called The Clutter Family Murders, so take from that what you will. But it makes it so much weirder that they're making them comfortable. Yes, yeah, The whole ordeal lasts around two hours.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: Can you like, I mean, you can't can't imagine what that would be like for that family. They're also and the two Bonnie and Nancy are on their own in their own rooms, tied up on their own. Herb and Kenyan are together, but you know, not being able to help each other and not knowing what they can do and what's going to happen. After two hours where we don't really know what happened, Perry tells Dick to go and get the knife and kill herb. My god, Perry says, Dick was teasing him about not having the guts to do it himself, saying, this is what we've come here to do.
Speaker 2: So was it.
Speaker 1: Planned a planned murder all along? This doesn't sound like just a robbery for cash. If they're going, well, come on, this is what we came here to do, you do it. And if it was a plan murder all along, why take two hours and make it so cruel like doing, you know, tying them up and everything and leaving them there for so long. Then, after being teased by Dick, Perry does exactly what I'm sure Dick was trying to get him to do. Is reacts by grabbing the hunting knife from Dick, and he slits Herb's throat in front of his fifteen year old son. He then, because apparently this was necessary, also shoots Herb at close range in the head. Shortly after that, fifteen year old Kenyon is also shot in the head at close range. When he's found, his head is lying on the pillow that Perry had brought him. My god, Nancy and Bonnie are upstairs, and I can only assume they would have heard two shots go out.
Speaker 2: Of course, can you fucking imagine? Horrific?
Speaker 1: The terror wouldn't have lasted that long though for them after hearing the shots, because after they had killed Herb and Kenyan, the men went up to Nancy's room and shot her sixteen year old Nancy in the face, followed by Bonnie. The two men collected the shotgun shells as they went around the house so as not to leave a link to their gun. All four Clutter family members were shot at very close range in the face or the head. Herb was also cut to the throat. About the shootings, Perry would later tell a court, which is perhaps a spoiler as well, it was like picking off targets in a shooting gallery.
Speaker 2: Of course it was. It's a horrender horrendos correct use of the word correct use.
Speaker 1: When they were done raiding the house and killing an entire innocent family, the men left with nothing but a pair of binoculars, a transistor radio, and forty bucks they found in Herb's wallet. All that for four lives.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting they're also.
Speaker 1: Fucking stupid because there was an envelope full of cash on Nancy's dresser that they just didn't see, I guess, and this is awful. The reason the sixteen year old girl had an envelope full of cash on her dresser was because she was going to make a donation to the church the following morning. So Sad, Perry and Dick drive off past the county boundary line and then they cleaned themselves and the gun off with the car's radiator water, and then they dug a hole and buried the shotgun shells, the tape, and the rope just next to the highway. They didn't bury the knife or the gun. I mean, these guys are seen next tuesdays. They thought where might use these for something else? And you know they're petty criminals and they're stealing cars and all sorts of things, so they probably think we're not going to get rid of our weapon. The following day, a Sunday morning, the Clutters didn't arrive to Nancy's friend, Susan Kidwell's house to pick her up for church, as they always did. Nancy and her family, sorry, Susan and her family were concerned immediately. They tried calling the clutter house a number of times and got no answer. So Nancy and a friend, sorry, this is confusing. Susan and a friend whose name was also Nancy, Oh sure, yep, and this Nancy's dad went over to the clutter farm to check that all was okay. They could tell something was off immediately when they arrived because the family's car was there they should have been at church, and there were no lights on in the house, no noises coming from there at all. The dad had been working on his farm that morning, so I said, I don't want to trapes mud through the house. I'll take off my boots and you girls go ahead and call out to your friend. So Susan and Nancy, two young girls, go into the clutter farm.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The kitchen door was unlocked, which was normal, but there were no signs anyone had made breakfast, which was odd for this time of the morning in a house full of people. Then they saw Nancy's purse open on the floor, so they started calling out for their friend and walked up towards her bedroom. They saw the door ajar and they went in and they saw Nancy on the bed, wearing her nightie, bound to the bed by her hands and feet, with cords torn from her curtains. There was blood all over the walls, floor, and roof, and her face was not recognizable because it had been shot at such close range. Susan later said she didn't remember screaming. She only remembered seeing Nancy's Teddy Bear staring at her and her friend running away. The dad heard the screens and the girls running out, so he went in and he saw the same thing. He called the sheriff immediately. They had only seen Nancy. Finney County Sheriff Earl Robinson called in his friend at the Kansas Bureau the KBI, not the FBI, but his friend Alvin Dewey, who both came out, and it was them who searched the whole house and discovered the horrors. Also in Bonnie's bedroom and the basement. They found Bonnie as they had found Nancy. They found a Kenyon who had been shot in the face with his head still on the pillow on the couch, and they found herb hung from a pipe in the basement.
Speaker 2: So they hung him after they I think it.
Speaker 1: Was possible that he'd been tortured before he was killed. So the Finney County Sheriff's apartment and the KBI had a quadruple aside and zero idea what happened. The family had no known enemies, there were no dodgy business dealings, and no one had seen nor heard a thing. Seventeen investigators were assigned to the case. It was initially thought to be a robbery gone wrong, which is kind of semi right maybe, but they were confused by the cash left in Nancy's room and that both Bonnie and Herb were wearing gold wedding rings and Bonnie a diamond engagement ring.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre they didn't take those because they're fucking stupid. Yeah, yeah, just want to cash, because that's what they.
Speaker 1: Came I just think that maybe weren't even smart enough to like, look, yeah, I think about it.
Speaker 2: If they didn't find the money on the dresser, then you're like, well, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's because they said they ransacked the whole house looking for cash. But they were just looking for that massive sum of cash. I don't know how and why they ended up like taking nicking a transistor radio and a pair of big Yeah, but why not then why would you be thinking about jewelry and stuff. They're just idiots, like dangerous, horrible criminal audience. There was one funeral held for the four Clutter family members.
Speaker 2: One funeral for four yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is I think so sad. Well, it's more devastating because I meant there.
Speaker 2: Were four caskets there all together.
Speaker 1: More than one thousand people attended the funeral, which is an amazing for a small town.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, absolutely wild. It shows how well loved and respected they were, exactly.
Speaker 1: And the town was so small that the KBI offices and local sheriffs were there not because they were investigating their deaths, but because they knew.
Speaker 2: Herb Oh, that's so sad, and that.
Speaker 1: Makes you realize that Alvin Dewey and Earl Robinson, when they went into the house to find what they did, that was someone they knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh god, it's just so much more awful.
Speaker 1: So investigators started looking into whether it could have been a grug Oh sorry, So when I was saying about them thinking it was maybe a robbery gone wrong, when they found that their jewelry was still there, that the envelope of cushion still they were like, actually, it feels more like someone's trying to make it look like a robbery by kind of throwing things around and leaving an open wallot on the floor and stuff like that. So they started looking into whether this could have possibly been a grudge killing against Sure, they had no ideas otherwise. So like right, Herbs a prominent businessman and politician, like we know works with political alliances. There are a few people around town who did say, like, I mean, yeah, I suppose there'll always be people unhappy with, you know, a businessman who's doing well and someone aligned with politics. Another suspect came up who was Nancy's boyfriend, seventeen year old. Do you remember his name?
Speaker 2: No, Webby Upby Up of course.
Speaker 1: He was the last person to have seen the Clutter family alive. He visited the Clutter home on November fourteen to watch television with Nancy and her family and said he left around eleven PM. Now we know now investigators didn't at the time that Perry and Dick got there around midnight, so they very well could have been a fifth victim in this. Bobby Up was still there, but of course they didn't know that at the time. They were looking into why he could have You know why. He was the last person to see them alive. And of course, as we always say, it's always the husband and the boyfriend, yes, yeah, and or and it's always the husband and the book usually, Yeah, that's the motive and a boyfriend. Now, people in the town started to gossip, of course they did. There's four people knew, and gossip came up about Bobby Rupp as well. There was there were rumors that there had been tensions in the family about Nancy and Bobby's relationship because the Clutters were Seventh Day Vinists and Bobby was Catholic, right, okay, and the relationship was getting pretty serious. They've been together for a couple of years, so maybe there were some fights about whether Nancy was allowed to continue seeing Bobby. But no matter of these suspicions, whether it was a business or political grudge or something to do with Bobby and Nancy's relationship, police needed evidence to grow more than suspicions about anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The evidence they found in the house was boot prints in the blood on the floor of the basement and the one in the blood on the floor, and another bootprint on the cardboard that had been put down get cold before brutally murdering and probably torturing him.
Speaker 2: Bootprints is so odd in the blood that is so strange.
Speaker 1: Well, they were very clear bootprints. One had a diamond pattern on the soul and another bootprint had a Cat's poor brand logo, so very distinct. Two different brands, So two different boots, and no shoes in the clutterhouse matched either of these shoes. So suddenly police are looking for two killers. Yes, yeah, police determined the type of gun shot used, and just four days after the murders they found some upturned earth next to the highway. So someone had said that they noticed blood on like the bridge crossing and then saw this like part like piece of upturned earth. So they called police and they police dug very like for thirty seconds. It was a very shallow grave. Found the tape, the rope, the shell casings, which of course matched the type of gun that they'd worked out had.
Speaker 2: Been usede they didn't try and hide it.
Speaker 1: Like just a second, maybe we'll retitle this episode. So suddenly it seems to police that they could be looking for strangers. Perhaps there were no grudges or family dynamics at play here. It looked like someone was but two people had come in and just killed them. Yeah, the murders were huge news. It was a tiny, tiny community and everyone in the community was really close. People stopped leaving their homes for the first time ever. They bought locks for their homes. The idea that strangers could have come in and murdered a beloved, quiet, young religious family was more terrifying than any other prospect anyone could imagine. It quickly went from local news to national news too. Murders of this level just didn't happen in small town, farming communities. And because this made national news, a man named Floyd Wells heard what happened. He was still in jail and heard it on the radio. He didn't want to get drawn into it, so we didn't say anything yet. But after two weeks he decided he needed to unload his burden where there was his conscious that got the better of.
Speaker 2: Him only two weeks was that, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: He had only told them a Todd, Perry and Dick about the cash, and he knew the family like he'd worked with them, so yeah, maybe his conscience couldn't handle the fact that they'd been killed. He made a plan to be called into the said the burden's office, the warden's office.
Speaker 2: Sure exactly, but he wanted to.
Speaker 1: Do so under false pretenses because you know, you don't snitch in jail, so someone to just send him walk into the warden's office, they'd be like, the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well? Snitches get stitches.
Speaker 5: That's what I've written.
Speaker 2: Oh I had another one with chocolate nappies.
Speaker 1: That's you've said that before. I hate that. Okay, okay, okay, you're gonna say sorry, Okay, say sorry, Okay. So he whacked a guy so we would get called into the warden's office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to And I said like, yes I didn't mom m yeah, yeah, a whack.
Speaker 1: That's when you're like a contract killing. Yeah, it's also that's whap.
Speaker 2: As soon as I said that, you're going.
Speaker 1: To say that, I think I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: Wham and say yeah, yeah, where puts it? No in old like you know, like all Batman. That's what I was thinking of the old you know, the old woman with Adam West. Yeah, yeah, swhack pow wham. But I said, where else puts it? That's what you said? I never give them?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I've updated this story. So Perry's riding. Let's sucking go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to relate to your kids. We're trying to get a big.
Speaker 1: Booktop booktog exactly trying to get some young listeners.
Speaker 2: And he said, he.
Speaker 1: Said, get a bucket more. No, you didn't need to say that, you've gone too far. Say sorry. So he gets called into the warden's office and he as soon as he was in there and he was alone with the warden, he spilled on his belief that Perry and Dick could have been the killers. He said, he remembered Herb Cutter Clutter paying him for a job. So sorry, this is what he said to the warden that he had said to Dick that he remembered Herb Clutter paying him for a job with a large wad of cash that had come from a safe. He said he remembered Herb saying that he'd been paid ten thousand dollars that day, so assumed that that cash was in the safe as well, and that he described where the safe was and the farm to Dick. Now, what is interesting here is that he never was paid in cash. He never saw a safe in the Clutter farm, So whether his memories were mixed up. Remember how he said as well. The office was really like the yeah, yeah, And there was never a safe in the Clutter family farm never. So it's like he's got the memories of two different stories, two different times of being paid by someone contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when he knew that when he worked for them. It's very weird to get here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then like he worked there for a few months, but he worked other places in the years following as well. It's like he's got those two stories mixed up. And there were like they went back and found the check stubs that he'd been paid by Herb Clutter with a check. So he's got these two stories mixed up. I don't know fluyd Well's background. I don't know if he was, you know, a bit fifty cent short of a dollar or drug fucked or something. I don't know, But for whatever reason, he was adamant that Herb Clutter had paid him ten thousand, sorry, had put him to this, had paid him in cash that he remembered it coming from a safe that was behind a desk in the office. But when he described the office and the farm, it was exactly as the like it was. The location of the office was where I said it would be that's bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yes, our purpurpur Pur. Purpose trying to to the kids again.
Speaker 1: Is that it is that what they do.
Speaker 2: Like skid skid ok. Yeah, something like that. Yeah, that's not that what.
Speaker 1: Yes, queen, yes, queen, Yes, hunting and also yeat, I'm gonna here, young Cole loll out loud loud. Sorry. This is a quote from Floyd Wells.
Speaker 2: To the warden.
Speaker 1: I suspect I talked too much about the money, mister clutter had. Hikkock talked a lot about Perry Smith said after they got out of the joint, they could pull some jobs to get enough money for a down payment on a boat. They would run charter services for deep sea fishermen and eventually make contacts and use the boat to bring in narcotics. I didn't believe Hikkock, but he kept talking about it. I tried to talk him out of it, said he would get caught, but he said he had a plan and after the robbery he would kill everyone there and leave no witnesses.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So he'd said that in jail. So all thoughts we might have had speculation about whether what went wrong. I mean they went in with a hunting knife and a gun. There was all this thing saying, remember how Dick had said earlier, you know, why would you do what? You know, we said we were coming here to do all that. Yeah, yeah, it sounds like they had planned to do this all along. Absolutely, So the KBI finally had the names of two suspects. While this investigation was going on, Dick and Berry were on the run. They drove to Mexico, they pawned the binoculars and the radio that they'd stolen. They stole more cars along the way so they couldn't be traced. They committed thefts and then eventually came back to the US so they could also forge checks. They kind of run out of money in Mexico and to do that. Yep, So they kept stealing cars, ditching, stealing, forging checks, buying things like suits, like fancy things, anything that they could. They kept in touch with their family via payphones, but always lying about where they were. All the while police were launching a massive, large scale manhunt. They went into these men's criminal records and were able to use these to find and talk to family members and former criminal associates to try to track down their movements. On December nine, so remember November fifteen, I mean overnight between November fourteen and fifteen is when the murders occurred. On December nine, police got a warrant to search Dick. He got hiccups, as they said, that was like a thwack, like the on the matter paya where you the noise sounds like what you're saying. No, don't say that word again that you're going to say it. I can feel it. You're going to just throw it out there. I don't don't desecrat Claudia's cat stickers by saying that yucky word.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So they got a warrant to search Dick Hiccock's or Hiccup's family farm, and there they found the hunting knife used to slit herb Clutter's throat and the shotgun used to kill all four members. But they didn't find was the man. They were not there. On December thirty, police in Las Vegas spotted a car that had been reported as stolen a few days earlier. On they pulled it over routine and he's a stolen cars pull these guys over and asked them about the car, and they could not believe their eyes when in the car they saw the two men whose mugshots had been plastered everywhere as the men wanted over the Clutter family murders in Kansas six weeks earlier.
Speaker 2: It's such a like a lucky happens happenstance, Like he's just like wow, like pulling them over and realizing and not just letting them go like they happen.
Speaker 1: How often do you hear about things like that as well?
Speaker 2: The police department's not communicating to each other.
Speaker 1: And then because this was such a big and like that would have happened if this story hadn't become such a immertional news because it was a family in this small tech following down and everything. So Perry Smith and Dick Hickock were arrested without incident. Surprisingly, they were transferred back to Finley County in Kansas, and they would charged with four counts of murder. The media called them weak faced, Hiccock and runty Smith.
Speaker 2: Wow, what names?
Speaker 1: I just think it's so it's like so nineteen fifty. Yeah, it's like really cute. So personally yeah exactly, and like they're kind of cute, yes, yeah, like you know, weak faced and runty. Like these days we kind of go that's like, oh, that's cute to you that, but I love you, right, it's personal meany to be going.
Speaker 2: We're not just going to.
Speaker 1: Call him yeah face tco yeah yeah yeah. Now, when arrested, Dick immediately tried to pin the whole thing on Perry.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: But they both did admit to being there and carrying out the murders. Like they never tried to say it wasn't ass we weren't there.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Perry said that he like they broke pretty quickly, and Perry said that he had killed two of the family members and Dick had killed two. Dick said Perry had killed them all, and that he had planned the whole thing, that Perry had planned the whole thing. Now, they wanted to be tried separately so they could kind of pin it on each other, but that was denied. They were both charged with murders no matter who pulled the triggers on the day. Their joint trial was scheduled for March twenty two, nineteen sixty, which is like so quick, like you think of out the courts ago years, you know, it.
Speaker 2: Was drags and drags and drags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is March from like that. It was December thirty that they were arrested. Their trial was scheduled for March.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: They were placed in different cells while they awaited their trial so that they couldn't, you know, collude.
Speaker 4: And the.
Speaker 1: Unit that Perry was housed in was called the ladies unit. Oh, I don't think. I think there weren't women in the prison, but like it was a part of the prison that was four women.
Speaker 2: Maybe one bit was overcrowded or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this unit was directly next door, like sharing internal walls with the county courthouse, and the sheriff at the time had residents at the courthouse, right. It was actually the sheriff, L Robinson, who he met earlier, had his own house in Holcombe. So he's like, I don't need that place. So my second in charge, like the under sheriff, the deputy sheriff, and his wife lived them. His name was Wendell, his wife's name was Josephine, and they lived there, and so they were literally sharing a wall with this unit that Perry Smith was in. She would go and kind of visit the prisoners often, Josephine would, and she took a real liking to Perry Smith. She felt sorry for him and thought that he was a really kind man at heart who'd been caught up in a mess and a life of crime.
Speaker 2: Behavior, you know, in the on the night was very strange, isn't it. Very caring and compassionate. Weirdly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She would regularly make him lunch and take it and eat turkey sandwiches with the crusts cut off with him in his cell. He wrote about this a lot in his diaries and about his the kindness she showed, and it was kind of almost has been speculated a bit whether there was a bit of a relationship or something going on, or maybe kind of Perry felt love for her. Now. Someone else who came and visited him in prison was Truman Copodies. We're going to talk about that a bit after we've gone through the shoecase. But at the same time, an old army friend of Perry's also visited him, and he said that Perry spoke about the entire crime and the murders in gruesome detail.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: He said things like, quote, I saw the man's head split apart when I pulled the trigger. So this old army friend said Perry did not seem like he had any remorse it didn't seem like he'd been caught up in this and taken for granted as I taken advantage of it, was like this army friend was like, no, he's a cold.
Speaker 2: Blood selling accounts of Harry.
Speaker 1: Yes, his sister also wrote him a scathing letter which features in cold blood, saying that she hated him and wouldn't forgive him. So they were kind of very mixed reviews about this guy. And the reason I brought up fro him and compoti there is he is very sympathetic to us, Harry, and we'll talk about that more later. So real conflicting reviews. Dick, on the other hand, his family were the only ones that on his side. Everyone spoke about him as a callous, cold blooded, horrible guy. His family stood by him through everything. They said. They were at court every single day for the trial. His parents really elderly at that time and really unwell, but they went to court every day. They spoke to the media they said, our son has told us that he didn't do this. We believe him.
Speaker 2: You hear that a lot like There's been some cases in Australia recently as well where terrible, terrible things have happened and the parents have stuck by them.
Speaker 1: And spoken to the media outside. He's told us his innocence. I believe him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you go, oh want parents to do course of course, And your parents aren't going to believe what sort of person you are a lot of the time, like you know, they want to believe the best in you, so a lot of the time they'll deny all of that sort of stuff until you done. Thank you for saying that, and also that yeah, this in this case, it's like, well, yeah, of course his parents are going to go with him and say if they want to know. Yeah, it's like what we're talking about, you know, the episode with Joe chinque as well, like ours a new singing the Killer. Her parents were there all the time, Yeah, supporting their kid because they had a reason to believe that she was mentally insane when this happened, Like you know, yeah, Now.
Speaker 1: When it came to the trial, both Perry and Dick tried to get an insanity defense, which is what it was called. Then that's not unity. They were both tested and it was found that they were both sane of mind. So the trial went ahead as normal, and it was fairly normal and fairly uneventful. There was a lot of evidence. They both admitted that they were there and that they had done it. Kind of they as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yes, not agreeing on who killed who, but exactly yes. Now.
Speaker 1: Dick in particular tried like every kind of hail Mary right up to the end. The death penalty was on the cards here, and he was really trying to do everything not to get that. Sure he was yet pitting at all on Perry. He also then tried to say that he so the confession that he'd made on his arrest, Like when he was saying, yes, I was there and we did it, he was saying that that was forceful, that that he'd been beaten by police officers. But in the days of interviews and everything afterwards, there was never any sign of like there was no bruising, there were no injuries or anything. So it kind of was seen as a bit of it, like he's just hoping for the best at the end.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, Floyd Wells.
Speaker 1: Gave evidence and ended up admitting to knowing a lot more.
Speaker 2: What was his evidence at the start that he he told them, Okay.
Speaker 1: A family I used to work for that lived at this farm with this name had a cash with ten thousand dollars, Yes, dollars cash. But when he gave trial evidence a trial, he admitted he had actually drawn a complete diagram of the class of farm for Dick right, and said he and Dick had actually spoken about the fact that Dick was going to go and steal the money and that he would take a cut of it when he got out. For giving him all this evidence. Now, Dick said that this was all lies. He said, no, that never happened. I never said this again. It seemed like a bit of a you know, clutching at straws at the end, I say, no, no, no, that's all a lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: Dick continued to pay to say it was Perry who killed all four family members. Perry had initially said they did two they killed two people each, and during the trial actually tried to recant that. So Perry tried to recant that it was after Dick's parents spoke in the media about believing their son and saying that they were going to stand by him and believe him. That's when Perry then turned around and said, I want to change my original testimony that I killed to and Dick killed two.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he ended up.
Speaker 1: Saying I killed all four of them. Wow, here's another little insight into Perry's what I'm going to call compassion for want of a better term, This actually is one bit. I don't have any sympathy or compassion for Perry. I'm going to get that out there. This is the only bit that makes me feel a bit sad. Yeah, it's like he's gone. This man has a family who loves him. I'm, you know, feel so I don't have that. If he's got a family that loves him, I don't want his parents to think he's done this. I'll take the blame. That actually does make me feel a bit sad. He's had such a horrible upbringing and there's something in him that goes off. This man's got a family who believes in him. I want to give his.
Speaker 2: Family that that peace of mind. Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, the judge said, no, you can't recount that. You've given that evidence and you've given that testimony. So no, and it would have mattered in the end anyway. Both Perry Smith and Richard were found guilty and ordered to death by hanging on April fourteen, at nineteen sixty five so that's when the date of the hanging would be, so they would spend five years on death.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they do that. I don't know why they.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I remember we had someone write in about it. They saying there's lots of for the avenues of appeal to take time, any other evidence comes up. There's a lot of places that fight against the death penalty. So yeah, there's lots of reasons that it.
Speaker 2: Yeh a long time.
Speaker 1: Apparently at their executions, Perry Smith used his final word to condemn capital punishment. His final words were, I think it is a hell of a thing that a life has to be taken in this manner. I say this especially because there's a great deal I could have offered society. I certainly think capital punishment is legally and morally wrong.
Speaker 2: That's a wild thing to say after you've murdered four people.
Speaker 1: Including two children. Yep, yeah, Richard Hickock said it's his final words. I don't have any hard feelings. You're sending me to a better place.
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The last sentence of Truman Capote's in Cold Blood, I think puts the deaths of Perry and Dick by hanging really well. The final sentence of the book says, at the time, not a soul in sleeping Holcombe heard them four gunshot blasts that all told ended six human lives. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautifully worded for you know, just the most beautiful writer.
Speaker 1: So that's Helen. You just desperately hope Helen, Helen Ganna is going to listen to this one.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: Realize you love her.
Speaker 2: I don't care if she does.
Speaker 1: You're looking right into the carry, you creep. You're going to hope she hears it, realize you love her and leaves her husband and her family. How do you know that?
Speaker 2: Because I looked at Helen Ganna stop.
Speaker 1: Dead panning the camera, marry Helen Ganner. I think she's above your age bracket.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's talk about age. Then I brought it up. I don't have anything more to say on the mat. I think I think that the the the way that Triman Capoti sums that up is it's such a beautifully put ending for the tragic loss of four lives. You could say the tragic loss of six, but the tragic loss of four lives. Yes, and he is beautifully beautifully worded in that way.
Speaker 1: This brings us into a bit of discussion around Truman Coppoti his involvement.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Story Again, we won't go into it too much because while we are up and coming.
Speaker 2: Book talk star, Yes, we are up and coming book talks.
Speaker 1: This is a true crime podcast, not a book talk podcast. That one's coming later.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course it is. And you better get a bucket and a mob.
Speaker 1: Saying that don't see that.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: So, as I said right back in the intro, Truman Compote decided he wanted to write a non fiction novel. Yes, yep, And he went to Kansas.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Four Perry and Dick wea court, so when it was still an active, you know, murder case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was quite early, yes, and then he ended up.
Speaker 1: Staying there for it took him six years to write the book because there was the year leading up to it, the trial, everything, and then five years on death row. And he was adamant he wasn't going to finish the book until the story was finished, and that to him was the end of the lives of Dick and Perry. Now, he obviously spent a lot of time in the community. There is a lot in the book that speaks about the community. He interviews lots of different people who live there. And when I say he interviews, like, it doesn't read like an interview with He writes it, you know, beautiful, beautiful prose about you know, the conversations he had with people. But it's not like she said this and I said this. He says, like, the way it's written is you know, talking about that as Susan Well, I think his sur name was the friend. He'll tell her story, but we know it's through the words of him having interviewed her. Interestingly, the book is written in a way that it does just read like a novel. You're not. He never says like, I was there an idea. We know because Truman Copoti wrote it that it's from his interviews that everything's taken. But it's not. It's not in third person or anything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: So he's gone through all of Perry his diaries, he's seen all the letters that they've each got in and out of prison. He himself became very close with Perry Smith. Now this is something that is more known from Truman Coupoti rather than is spoken about in the book.
Speaker 2: It was a bit of speculation, and I think you can suddenly.
Speaker 1: Read into yes, I believe, not subtly. Yeah, okay, I think. And it's even interesting in researching the story, like and you know, kind of reading different articles and listening to different podcasts and stuff about this. I've written my script today that in a way that I believe is more these are the facts of what it happened, absolutely, whereas a lot of the way that it's spoken about is you know, and Perry was really you know, pulled along by Dick, and he didn't want to be there, but he was impressionable and young. I believe personally that that comes from Truman Capote's writing of Perry. Yes, because Truman Hoti was sympathetic and empathetic towards Perry.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am not.
Speaker 1: He murdered for innocent people. Again, Truman Capodi doesn't write in the book that he is sympathetic and empathetic towards him. He doesn't, but the way he writes about Perry compared to how he writes about Dick is very obvious bias in my opinion. I yes, again for the kids, beautiful pronunciation of h By the way, I'm really proud of you. I'm really proud of you. There's quite a lot of speculation that Truman Compodi was actually in love with Perry.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's quite a lot spoken about in their film Capodi. There's quite a Yeah, that's quite a part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think as a reader of just my opinion of that is that that comes through quite strongly. I think he's very sympathetic towards him and you know personally, but I mean we speak about this on the podcast a lot as well. I'm less I find less sympathy in talking about killers and stuff then often you do. And I think that's again interestingly, you're reading Helen Garner's books like you understood a little bit of the sympathy towards Robert Farquherson. Stop looking at the camera every time we talk about Helen Garner, you mean, really weird you reckon Helen Garner's No, I'm not going to finish that sentence. Yeah, you after reading Helen's book This House of Grief, You've found yourself kind of going, oh, I can understand someone having a little bit more empathy towards Robert Farkuerson. Yes than I understood before. Yes, However, me reading in Cold Blood has not made me feel more empathy towards Perry Smith, I think probably while reading, and I did. But then I've taken myself out and I've gone, no, this is a biased account of what happened.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bend it.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Treuman Compote ha spent a lot of time with Perry Smith, like literally in his prison cell for years, and not just up until the trial, but for the five years on death row afterwards. It became very close and he knew him very well, and I think he writes about him really quite biased.
Speaker 4: Yeap.
Speaker 1: Now, I said I was going to bring up the sisters as well. That and Beverly. They are not mentioned in the book. They're obviously trim Commodites, obviously not interviewed.
Speaker 2: That they did not want to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to be part of it. And there is really an ethical and kind of moral thing there about you know, this is their family story, and Triman Commodis very much made it his.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, However, you look at the other side of that and go, well, the reason we're still talking about it in twenty twenty six, which some people can say is a good thing and others not. But I think we're, you know, remembering the lives of these four innocent people. That's because Truman Commoditi wrote about it. I'm sure we probably wouldn't know about it otherwise, right, or just one of those small town murders. Maybe we would have done six years down the road in this podcast when we're looking for more stories. But yeah, I Evianna and Beverly didn't want to be part of Trim Coboddy's story, and I think that's quite unfair on them that their family's story has been told so widely. There was a lot of backlash against the book from the Garden City community because Truman Cobody had come in as like he stood out like a sour far. Of course, he is high society in New York. He's got that odd voice and openly gay man in the fifties and Kansas was not like that. No, holcome was not like that. He spoke to everyone in the community, people gave him time and everything, and he assured them that it was going to be a factual telling of what happened, and a lot of people said that it didn't really come across like that to them. So there was a lot of backlash that was. It's really a lot of people hate the book. A lot of like especially at the time, a lot of people loved it, certainly critically acclaimed. You know, to this day, I'm here saying it's one of my favorite books John Ronson's and it was one of his. Yeah, so that's my NonStop rant for you. Anything it is.
Speaker 2: I think it is an amazing book as it is. I mean, any book that you read, like whether it's a John Ronson, whether it's a John Saffrain or Helen Ghana, whatever it is, they're going to put themselves ye documentary, ementary.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing kind of like taking put himself in the story.
Speaker 2: And Louis through if you're going to go from like, you know, a documentary maker. But as writers of like true crime, they always put themselves in the story and it's their connection, it's their human story that they're telling.
Speaker 1: In cor Blood doesn't really not in the same way that John ron says and Helen Ghana's Yeah, yeah, they'll actually say like exactly, Truman Commodis doesn't do that. It is a telling of the story, yeah, from someone who was there, but we only know he's there because.
Speaker 2: We know this cood. Yeah, yeah, that he was. No, which is you know, I haven't seen the way that that book was done. Again, I can't think of it.
Speaker 1: No, we should look into that for our book talk that we start book talk.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't think I've read a book that's like that.
Speaker 1: Again, No, because it is first person without being first.
Speaker 2: Person, yes, which is really interesting because I don't know the first person that did it in first person if it makes sense, like, I don't know that. I don't know who would have.
Speaker 1: Captured that, and could be someone taking the idea from and going oh, but I'll use the word I.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, which is fascinating. But I think that there are opinions in there. Yeah, that's interesting for someone that's not written in first person, as I believe this. Yes, the way it is written sometimes you go, oh, it's written much more like a novel. Yes, yeah, which you know you could go, this is a piece of fiction.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, And I think there would be people have picked up and read the book thinking, like not knowing that just knowing Truman is in Cold Blood is a famous book that I've heard of it, you know, the Orange Penguin classic book. Yes, there would be people who don't know that's actually about a true crime. Truman Compoti himself went and like investigate.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to do James Fray a Million Little Pieces soon because that is another book that you know was You can go is it a great piece of nonfiction or is a great piece of fiction? And I think when you look at two things, sometimes you get excited when it's when it's true true. Yeah, you get more excited.
Speaker 1: And you you're funny with movies and stuff like, you'll enjoy a movie more if you think if they say it's based on true not more than another movie, but more than you otherwise would have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like if you see like a drama film and it happens to be funny, you go, how amazing it was funny? As well? Do you see a comedy film genres it didn't really it wasn't really that funny. I think it's the expectation of what it is. And when you when you look at something like this Truman Compodi, you go, oh my god, what an amazing writer. I think I would have enjoyed it as a book just as much if I didn't know that it was a true Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whereas I don't know. I can't answer that because I know that I read it knowing.
Speaker 2: I even knew.
Speaker 1: I knew about the fact that people thought, well, not the fact of the speculation he was in love with Perry Smith. I knew all of that going into That's why I read it. I knew about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: How I would have found it otherwise, But I just I love his writing so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it is. It's fascinating just to think of would it be as well known if it wasn't for no, I don't think no. But then also the horror of you know, the surviving members of that family that had to live through that and be like, oh my god, in cold blood, like they would bring that up as a point of reference for the murder that took place of their families.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it eighty years ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maths, maths, and it's still like a really well known story today.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, now you know it even better than you may have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't know several facts from that after reading, So it's like it's interesting, I think for me hearing the story as a standalone interesting because it's a lot harder think yeah.
Speaker 1: I think all the facts that I've said in.
Speaker 2: This are in the book, but the yeah, they're spread out, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: They're mixed up and diluted with so many other stories and things as well. Yeah, just hearing it is like, this is the true crime story, and.
Speaker 2: Of course you know, you also have hearsay, and you have people commenting on it, and you have you know, three different means. So that's a really interesting part of it as well, where I think when you just look at a murder as it is a callous, awful, inhuman thing, you go, oh, no, this is a this was a murder of a family. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not spend five years in a cell with turkey sandwiches with the crust cut off. Yes, one of the murderers and starts to feel sorry for him, Let's talk about the murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which is absolutely fascinating. So do you love? Thank you for telling me that the.
Speaker 1: Air condition has been on this whole time, and I feel like my blood is a bit cold.
Speaker 2: What in cold blood?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I thought you said your bladder is a bit cold. Yeah, bucket the mop for your bladder. You're leaking bladder. That's a funny thing. To say we're back in a moment.
Speaker 5: With the.
Speaker 2: Thank you gee for doing the story this week. Are you ready for some letters you don't know?
Speaker 1: I just jumped to when you were a little bit scared.
Speaker 2: This comes from Susie, Hi, Sammy, and Georgia. I am a road nurse and listen to your episodes driving between clients. My favorite episode was with Elizabeth from Beths Dead. It's not a crime, but I had a Thursday Treat suggestion. It's in Georgia's fave placed Tasmania and is the disappearance of Selene Kremer.
Speaker 1: Oh hang on, I know the name, but I can't think of the case.
Speaker 2: The community rallied to find answers for a family when the officials didn't. This case is as neat as a resolution. This case is at near resolution.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that nearly at its resolution nearly.
Speaker 2: At a resolution. Rob Parsons YouTube is a great place to start. Keep up the good work, Susie.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks Susan.
Speaker 2: You have to look into that love that was cool. Made it up that was really cool. This is a voicemail, as we call them, a speak pipe from.
Speaker 1: Ali, Hi, Sammy and Georgia. My name's Emma.
Speaker 3: No, just kidding as Allie long timelesseners, second time Cooler, calling to say how much I've been loving the pod and loving the longer episodes.
Speaker 5: They are really enjoyable and they're perfect for me for my drive to work. I managed to finish one on the way to and from each day. That's fantastic, Definitely. I think the girls are loving when I come in in the morning and say, oh my god, guys, guess what's just happened on my podcast that I listened to?
Speaker 2: And I tell them all.
Speaker 5: About it, and the first thing they say is, who's died?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: What's happened now? What terrible things are you about to tell us? So that's really fun but loving it. And next thing is, I have a case for you. I would really love to hear your take on the Rochelle Child's case. What's the one that I heard of and stumbled across, I guess and have become really invested in and it's just one that really sits close to home and would love to hear your take on it. Say hi to Paud's and Digs and I can't wait to hear more from you both soon.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you, Ali Emma, Emma and Jemma seemed to be the big one, so Jemma both g E M m A and j E M m A. It mixes it up every time. And I love that.
Speaker 1: One. I just I love that as well. I love hear you say that when you go into work and say, guess what happened on my podcast? I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that. This one comes from Emily.
Speaker 1: You're going to say, Emma, Hi, Sammy and Georgia.
Speaker 4: Big fan of the podcast here, and I'm a fellow Sea Change Tragic as well. In the day, coming to you this morning from the Inn the West, from glorious Williamstown, where it's a beautiful world for an absolute scorch yesterday. And I'm sending you this message because I listened to your podcast last week and I thought you might be interested to know that the Pearl Bay Courthouse in the TV series Sea Change is actually the Surf Life Saving Clubhouse here at Williamstown, and there's a little Clark memorializing it with a little bit of information, so I'll send you some pics. Who would have thought that the glorious Albay Courthouse.
Speaker 2: It's right here in city of oh my god.
Speaker 4: In Williamstown. I walk past it every day with my dog and we have very fond memories of sea change. Will I do, my dog doesn't. So keep up the great work on the podcast. It gives me a good laugh every twice a week. I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh my god, Emily, that's amazing. Okay, that is blowing our minds. Williams add is like, like, twenty minute drive from here is Emmy, we could go there right now if we want to do.
Speaker 2: There's votes atach photos. So as promised, here are some pics of Earl Bay Courthouse from my walk to Willie Beach this morning to accompany my voice message. And yeah, there's a plaque that says the sea change.
Speaker 1: I can't I believe the locations were like out in regional Victoria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that why there Williamstown and right there? Because I was wondering how a court has.
Speaker 1: On the beach but you're actually caught out No I know, but in the Sholds Court what is this?
Speaker 2: Do they film it separately? Like what is going on? That's so cool?
Speaker 1: We should do a little expedition. Yeah, absolutely, I was thinking excursion expedition, but then I remembered I'm an excursion.
Speaker 2: Well, Emily can show us around for the next one. This is another speak pipe that comes from Hannah, Hi.
Speaker 6: Georgia Love, and Sammy P.
Speaker 2: This is Hannah.
Speaker 6: I love listening to your podcast every week till multiple times a week. It feels like I'm just listening to all the latest cross with Friends throwing a good dose of crime. It's just really makes my week so funny. Story back in twenty thirteen, I went to LA and I was meeting one of my friends there. She got me to book the accommodation brokeun new student wanted something budget friendly and near to where my Kiki too was leading from books stay on me. I arrived to date Billy than she did, and I barely slept the first night because I was so creeped out. I couldn't understand why. I just got the egg feeling right from the God. My friend felt the same thing when she remarked, anyway, many manuyears later, I just happened to be flipping through the Prime documentaries on Netflix and actually found the Cecil Hotel documentary and dispatch myself lasting that I'd actually stayed there.
Speaker 1: For a few days. Anyway, keep up the good work. Hi. Oh my god, Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the ellixa laand episode you speaking about the Cesel hotel. Also, I did a continue to out starting in La in twenty twelve, did you. Yeah, so Hannah, we nearly could have met Hannah.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: What the.
Speaker 1: Day at the Staleman?
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's incredible, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? That doesn't that amazing?
Speaker 2: I stayed there.
Speaker 1: I love that she said that she got the creeps from it and didn't know why because of the portal.
Speaker 2: The portal, which we all believe in. Definitely the portal. Let's leave on a beautiful letter, okay from Leah, Hey, Sammy and Georgia love the pod. I have to say I'm a little obsessed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I only discovered you guys this year SOW twenty six, and I've already listened to every single episode. I just wanted to send it in a case suggestion you might be interested in. I'd love to hear some Australians cover this one because I'm only ever found American podcast talking about it, which feels pretty strange given it happened here. It was around two thousand and six. I was living in nar A Hill at the time and one day there were helicopters everywhere over our street. Later that day we found out via the news that murders had taken place in our street. The case is more commonly known as the Bodies in the Barrel's murders in now.
Speaker 1: Ah because the bodies in the barrels snow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. I think it would be really compelling, a really compelling case for you guys to cover, especially since there wasn't a lot of coverage out there. And it's always stuck with me because I was actually there at the time. Anyway, love your work, Keep doing what you do, by Leah, And she's a little yellow.
Speaker 1: Love hump Oh Leah, that's great.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: That is like I know the story but not well so. And yeah, let's be the first Australiums to do that. That also reminds me of story. I should have said this at the start. A friend of mine did some work for someone who hosts another crime podcast. Yes this is not another crime podcast, they are an actual one. At anyway, she said. My friend said to me, I don't know if this person was having a direct dig at you, or if I just thought they were because I'm your friend. But this person said, I hate when crime podcasts try to be funny. Green is not your color.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, We're not trying.
Speaker 1: To be funny about the crimes. Yeah, and actually we don't try to be funny at all. Right, we're just.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm going to get end. Actually on two quick out Spotify comments because I absolutely love reading Spotify comments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're about a specific episode.
Speaker 2: They are. It's so good. We love that, so please keep doing that. This is from Emma, Hey, Sammy and love Emma here once again, which one. Thank you so much for reading my email on the podcast. I just wanted to say. I put the time stamps in my email so the audio clips could be played on the episode. Lave face. Look, you just read out the time. I just read a time Look, Emma, I'll be honest. We sometimes record on a Sunday, which means that the amount of editing I had to do for the episodes is quite big. So I'm sorry I didn't actually go back and put the actual clips in there as well.
Speaker 1: But they'll do it now.
Speaker 2: Non late again.
Speaker 1: You look so upset.
Speaker 2: We always say we're going to get ahead on this podcast, we never really have. And this one, which is one of my absolute favorites so far, it comes from and I think your name is Clara Lanise. I think it might be two words, or if your whole, if your first name is Clara Clarinese, Clarini. Maybe congrats making it to a year, such a great podcast. Bring on the Feathers McGraw episode. And then Penguin emoji, penguin emoj penguin emoji, which is actually correct because it's not a chook, it's not a Now we have amazing, amazing voicemails, and we've got so many internet letters as well that keep coming through. We will read them all and we will get to them all. We absolutely love it. Gee, how can people leave these?
Speaker 1: If they want to leave us, they can email us Sammy at just another company dot com dot au. They can leave us a voice note. Yeah, via website called speak Pipe, and the link to that is in the show notes of the episode and in the link tree on our Instagram, which I'm so glad you asked. The handle is not another crime podcast. Guess what. It's the same on TikTok and guess what, it's the same. On YouTube full episode, you can see my life of a show, got Miss Piggy t shirt and you can at the moment I did spit take out and I hadn't had any thing to drink, so it was just.
Speaker 2: You could see my address. I think at the start you can.
Speaker 1: See said it's your address.
Speaker 2: We should you can see the office address.
Speaker 1: It's definitely see Sammy staring down the barrel while trying to flirt with Helen Ghana.
Speaker 2: Yes, through the lens.
Speaker 1: You can also leave us a poetry peep. Oh yeah, yeah, I gotta look up. I keep it listed. If they don't just like come to mind.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm going to talk about my special little bit more before you actually because I want to tell you to go and check it out. I actually it has started to write down poor dry peas.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, I've got mine. Are you ready for mine?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: That you have to fill out. Oh I feel good saying this makes me so angry. When you arrive, if you've been lunky enough to travel overseas then your eyes back into Australia, you still have to fill out a physical arrivals.
Speaker 2: Card with a pen and paper, Oh yes.
Speaker 1: To go through customs. It is the only country that I've been to that you still need to physically handwrite these things. And it's so annoying. And it makes it even more annoying that the paper is on it's like a really light orange color, so you can't really see the white boxes that you meant to put the letters in it. And I just it's just become like a proper pet Peeve to me that like there's nothing. It's fine, I can write the things, but I just when I see them handing them around, I'm like, God, damn, I update your freaking system.
Speaker 2: It should be a QR code by now, for God's sake. Mine is when you heat food on a plate and the plate is absolute lava, G love, the food is emotionally very cold, emotionally emotionally very cold. So that's mine for this week. That is my god, damn, poor Drey Peeve. And can I say, G love. What I'm gonna do now is I'm going to do a live look at how many people have watched my specials. Oh my god, my god, because this is at the moment it came out on four hours ago. Now, twenty four hours ago. I'm going to do a live look see ifeople are watching it. It's gonna it's gonna play, It's gonna play it. I'm on sixteen thousand views. Fuck off, i am on sixteen thousand views, so you can check.
Speaker 1: That out, one long face, sixteen thousand.
Speaker 2: I'm on sixteen thousand views, sixteen thousand views. Oh my goodenough, Like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: The proudest friend in the who damn world? Oh you said I can sing a Timmy Jit song?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, course, but yeah, I would love it. Like honestly, what happens is, I've done this show for a very very long time. This is the last time that I did it. And it costs a lot to film a special, it costs a lot to do all of that. That's just me out of pocket. I'm not going to make any money out of this. This is just on YouTube dot com free, famously free, and the Comedy Club Comedy Republic put this up. So I would bloody love it. If you would just would just watch it, share it with a friend, put it on social media and tag me and all reshare it because I absolutely love that. If got it out there to me.
Speaker 1: More importantly, you guys will love it like it's therefore you're entertainment. Yeah, make anything from watching it, but you will make your night by watching it. It's so beautiful. My friend messaged me she watched it last night afterwards and said Sam's comedy special words dot dot dot beautiful. I was not expecting that it was really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Who's your friend, Taylor? I thank you, Taylor, Love you Taylor. Yeah. I have also been sweet several podcasts. I've been on the Moment with myth Warhurst. I have been on Plumbing the Death Star, So if you want to listen to those, I'm on all those and Uncomfortable Conversations with Josh Zepps to promote my special. So yeah, I'd love it if you actually and we talk about this podcast a lot on myth Warhurst podcast right about true crime quite a lot as well.
Speaker 1: The only thing I have to promote this week is my voice in the start of Tim.
Speaker 2: Mintionin Fantastic No Shoes Girly do it?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to sing a Tim mintionon song or do you want me to do a Jeez Christ Superstar song that Tim mentioned?
Speaker 2: I would like you to do a Tim mention song you go, girlfriend, wanted to start?
Speaker 7: Okay, come home, Cardinal pell I know you're not feeling well. I don't remembered the odd words.
Speaker 2: Do you have a song that you know of his that you maybe you could see. I just want to sing a song.
Speaker 1: Just on this podcasts Grist Superstars. Well, give me another one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ducks go, Okay, canvas bags Okay, it's as good as well.
Speaker 1: Now we're blanking because all.
Speaker 2: We are going to end today on a song by Richard Richard Cheese Cheese. He's a Vegas performer. In the house. There's some wores in the house. STI fried free, make that week wet ass pussy, make that pull out game. We beat it up, baby nice, extra large, extra hard.
Speaker 5: Ride in your face, swife your nose.
Speaker 2: Like a credit card. I want enough, I want to go. I do a kigg Whoa, it's inside Okay, okay, anyway, everybody, Thank you was always for listening. We'll see you on Thursday. Leave the five star rating leg of five star review. You simply must do that.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Tams and Hayes is always doing the artwork. Thank you to Oliver Clark for doing the music and the theme.
Speaker 1: Song Sammy Special. Go onto his instagram Sammy Peterson Unofficial and find it her pig Power.
Speaker 2: How watch us on YouTube, Support us as much as you can, Share this podcast with a friend and tag us on social media.
Speaker 1: And I love you, I.
Speaker 2: Love you, Bye everybody. TikTok Book Talk Star