Speaker 1: Already and this is this is the daily This is the Daily.
Speaker 2: Ohs oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome to the Daily OS. It's Tuesday, the thirteenth of August.
Speaker 2: I'm Sam, I'm Emma.
Speaker 1: And with that, the twenty twenty four Paris Olympic Games comes to a close. It was Australia's best ever performance, with our team coming home with eighteen gold medals. More than nineteen million Australians tuned in to watch at least one event, showing yet again that the Olympics is always a key part of Australia's social narrative and shared history. On today's podcast, Emma and I are going to turn to an examination of the legacy of Paris, as well as a bit of a broader look at the medal table and why we're particularly impressed with the efforts of the tiny Caribbean island of Grenada. But first, here's what's making headlines.
Speaker 2: Authorities have confirmed the helicopter at the center of a fatal crash in cans on Monday was not authorized to fly when it collided with a hotel roof early in the morning. The pilot and sole occupant of the chopper died during the incident, which started a large fire at the Double Tree Hotel. All guests were evacuated from the hotel with no further injuries reported. In an update to media yesterday, Nautilus Aviation, which owns the helicopter, said it was working with Queensland Police and other authorities to investigate the unauthorized use of one of its aircraft.
Speaker 1: New data claims Australia is responsible for around four point five percent of the world's total fossil carbon dioxide emissions. The report from Climate Analytics said quote Australia has a global carbon footprint that far exceeds its economic size and population. Researchers also found fossil fuel exports accounted for eighty percent of Australia's carbon emission. From the nineteen sixties to twenty twenty three, Australia's fossil fuel exports produced thirty billion tons of CO two. Climate Analytics said it expects this figure to increase by fifty percent in the next ten years without policy action to reduce emissions.
Speaker 2: A landslide in the capital of Uganda has left at least twenty people dead. As the search for survivors continues, many a feared trapped beneath the rubble after mounting waste at a rubbish collection site in Kampala collapsed onto surrounding homes over the weekend. Military forces have been deployed to assist with rescue efforts as officials question why people were allowed to live next to a quote potentially hazardous and dangerous heap AID workers are on the ground assisting impacted residents as clean up efforts continue.
Speaker 1: And today's good news, Scientists in the US have developed a blood test that can help detect whether a person is at risk of deve diseases like Alzheimer's. The test, nicknamed a protein clock, works by analyzing hundreds of proteins found in the blood to determine a patient's disease status, which is how likely they are to develop certain illnesses. Health researchers at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston hope the test will help in the early diagnosis of certain chronic illnesses, including diabetes, cancer, or heart disease, by analyzing risk factors beyond just chronological age.
Speaker 2: So Sam deep breaths, the Olympics has concluded, but don't be too sad, We've got a two week breather before we jump right back into Paralympic action.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the happiest time of year.
Speaker 2: It's the gift that keeps on giving. Let's spend some time though wrapping up the Paris Games. I would love to chat through some of the highlights. A few weeks ago, before this all kicked off, I was chatting Tazara on the pod about whether or not Paris was Olympic ready. With everything's said and done, I want to hear your thoughts, your reflections in twenty plus year's time. How are you going to remember these games?
Speaker 1: This is always a really interesting question to jump into straight after a tournament, to start thinking about the legacy of these Olympics. And I think the sport was obviously incredible, and the fact that the Australia won the most golds is certainly going to be hard to forget. We might beat it in La in four years time, don't jinx ITPT. But if I answer that question honestly, I think the thing I'll most likely remember about Paris is actually the city of Paris yea, and the fact that we had beach volleyball under the Eiffel Tower, equestrian at the Palace of Versailles, the fencing and taekwondo happening in a literal palace, even the fact that for all the road racing in cycling and athletics, the finish line was always against this backdrop of an iconic Parisian landmark like the Arc de Triomph. It produced some of the most stunning images and videos that I've ever seen in sport. And when I think about what I'll be thinking about in twenty years, I think I'm going to remember just the whole scene itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a surreal setting. And we had spoken about on the pot a couple of weeks ago that Paris had decided to have these kind of pop up venues in situ all around the city, that it didn't go to these great lengths to build all this permanent infrastructure in you know, the far flung suburbs of the city, but you're right in the action, and didn't they do a marvelous job of showcasing that city.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And as we look ahead to Brisbane, which is the host for the twenty thirty two Games, we have to admit that that's perhaps a city that doesn't have the same natural or architectural beauty as the City.
Speaker 2: Of Love are talking about, Sam.
Speaker 1: But it is interesting to consider what venues currently exist in Brisbane and the Gold Coast that could be used as these kind of temporary facilities that are perhaps a bit interesting. You know, I saw Australia Zoo being thrown around online as perhaps a diving venue.
Speaker 2: You know, Robert Owen is going to be all over that one. But an interesting thing to consider, especially when we're talking more about how to make games and big events like this more sustainable and more affordable. Rather than having to completely replan a city, what can you do with what you've already got. So let's turn to the actual sport. Sam and I know you've been going through all the gold medal moments in some Bonus podcast episodes that we've been doing. We will pop some links in the show notes if you want to relive the magic. But let's have a slightly different chat when we reflect. Now, are there moments that you will remember from Paris that don't just involve the Australian glory. There are, of course hundreds of athletes, thousands of athletes from hundreds of countries. What stands out to you away from the green and gold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think we've spent quite a bit of time focused on those eighteen golds, but away from that, there was a lot and those moments have had a really big impact on all of us. I do keep thinking about the interview that Harry Garside gave after he was knocked out in the first round of the men's boxing, and for me, it really captured the highs and lows of sport. Have a listen to some of that audio courtesy of nine. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: You made two decades dedicated to one drave and it's only just like that.
Speaker 1: I feel like a failure right now. I feel like I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 2: Harry.
Speaker 1: The opposite, not a failure at all. Two time olympiad made. It's amazing. Then you've got the gold medal and new world record of Swedish pole vaulter armand duplanters. There was such an explosion of joy from this twenty four year old when he set that new world record of six point two five meters. He's already broken the world record nine times in his career and at twenty four, this is not the last we're going to see of him leaping and literally pushing the bar higher.
Speaker 2: Imagine out doing yourself to that level nine times.
Speaker 1: It's amazing at twenty four. At twenty four, then you know to rattle off a couple of amazing moments that will stick with me that don't involve the eighteen Australian Golds. You've got the men's one hundred meters sprint ending in a photo finish, the US women's basketball team winning yesterday in their final by a single point. Hometown hero Leon Marshon sending crowds into an absolute frenzy with every gold medal he's in the pool. Simoone Biles define gravity. Cindy Nagumba securing the first ever medal for the Refugee Olympic team. Katie Ladecki becoming the most successful American female athlete of all time. Julian Alfred winning Saint Lucia's first ever medal in style by taking out gold in one hundred meters sprint. Not a bad first medal for your country. And of course Snoop Doggie Dogs outfits.
Speaker 2: Who could deny the unofficial mascot of the Paris Games. I can't help but agree with you there with that list, particularly in the pool this year. I mean, I can't remember an Olympic swimming event or schedule that was so exciting. Leon Marshawn, what an absolute force of nature, smashing some of that legacy held by the likes of Michael Phelps in the US. Katie Ludeci, I don't know if you saw that viral graph of the top twenty times in her event, and she has swam the fastest twenty in that event. Just an absolute star of the pool. But of course Team Australia, the dolphins in the pool, the true Jens of this Games. Let's turn to the overall medal tally. We know Australia performed the best they ever had. Break it down for us in terms of how it all ended and came out in the wash.
Speaker 1: Well, it really took until almost the very last event for the top of the table to be fully sorted out. So the US just edged out China on the last day of competition to finish first overall. Both the US and China finished with forty gold medals, but the US took that top spot on the ladder because they won more silver medals. They won forty four compared to China's twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Forty gold medals, what did we have eighteen?
Speaker 1: But when you think about population, I'm going to go into that in a sec but absolutely, you know, these are two massive countries with massive population bases. So Australia is still doing pretty well.
Speaker 2: So take me to Australia's part in the overall picture.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't slip out of the top five almost the entire tournament, which is just amazing. Normally we have this strong start because of the swimming, and then we might fade a little bit down the ladder get out of that top five.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I'm not the only one to admit that sometimes second week slump you sort of stop paying attention when the glory stops.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But you know, we finished in fourth place and that eighteen medals, you're going to hear that a lot. That is the most we've ever won. We were behind Japan who took third place with twenty gold medals. The host nation France, they rounded out the top five. They won sixteen gold medals. It's worth noting that there was that kind of host city halo effect continuing for France. It was their best Olympic performance since they hosted the Games in Paris in nineteen hundred. They hosted the Games one more time in nineteen twenty four, but it's taken them one hundred and twenty four years to break their previous record. It wasn't such good news though for Great Britain across the Channel. They finished in seventh on the ladder, which is their lowest position since Athens in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things at the end of an Olympic Games is looking at some of the online stats. There are so many experts out there who layer on that extra analysis and I know you, being the sports nerd that you are, have spent a lot of time looking at that analysis. What did you learn?
Speaker 1: So it's always interesting to kind of overlay different factors with the way that countries performed at the Olympics. And NBC had some really interesting analysis. So when you look at medals per capita or in relation to GDPs.
Speaker 2: So we're talking there about the size of a country and the.
Speaker 1: Wealth of a country exactly, that's when you start to see some different nations stand out. So take Granada for example. This is a small Caribbean nation of only about one hundred and twenty five thousand people, in total, they performed exceptionally well in several metrics. They won one point five to eighty five medals for every one hundred thousand people in the country. That was the highest of any country in the world.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: They also ranked high in medals per athlete they sent to the Games and medals per billion dollars of GDP. So basically, if you think about the size of the economy in relation to the number of medals they won, Granada really overperformed. Special mention also to Saint Lucia, they won point five of a medal for every athlete after their sprint. Chat Bin Julian Alfred took gold in the hundred and silver in the two hundred. Of course, the day that she won gold is now called Juju Day in that tiny nation.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't know what a moment. So a lot of looking back and reflecting, I'm sure, over the next few days, but we will also begin to look ahead to LA twenty twenty eight. If you didn't know that the next Games were going to be hosted in La, how you do, you have to have been living under a rock. There's been a really calculated pr effort. I think throughout the game, certainly with the presence of someone like Snoop Dog popping up a lot, but even you know Tom Cruise and his big stunt in the closing ceremony. After LA, of course, we have a home Olympics here in Brisbane twenty thirty two. But before that, LA and those games are going to be a bit different, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's funny you're bringing up your second week blues because you're going to have to flip that. And the reason why is that the twenty twenty eight LA Olympics will be the first Olympia since nineteen sixty eight to change the order of swimming and athletics competitions.
Speaker 2: So athletics, oh idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so athletics is going to be week one and swimming is going to be week two. And the reason why that adjustment has been made to the program is because they want the opening ceremony to be held at the news Sofi Stadium and that will also host the swimming and they need time to transition it from being a ceremony stadium to a swimming stadium. And whilst there is that delay, the swimming will definitely be worth waiting for because that stadium has a capacity of thirty eight thousand people, which will be the largest live audience for swimming in Olympic history.
Speaker 2: I'm actually excited for the athletes here because I always feel bad for the swimmers. They never get to participate in the opening ceremony because it's like, you know, game face. They've got to get prepped, they've got to jump in the pool hours later. So I'm really happy for them that they'll get to enjoy it. I'm also excited as a spectator to see how La you know, we're talking about Hollywood here, how they it's going to be a show, an opening ceremony. You know, we had Billie Eilish the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the closing ceremony in Paris. I am ready for La Tinseltown to pull out all stops for that opening ceremony. Then, of course we have Brisbane twenty thirty two. Usually we know kind of pretty far in advance the next few games. So do we have an idea of who's hosting twenty thirty six.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to be even talking about twenty thirty six, but yeah, there are countries that have already thrown firm bids out there and are kind of jostling on the sidelines of even the Paris Games to get cozy with the IOC officials put their case in front of the decision makers. So you had a strong bid come through from Nusentara, which is the new capital of Indonesia. Remember they moved to the capital of Indonesia from Japada, so they've put their new capital forward for the Games. Istanbul in Turkey have also thrown their hand up, are yet to be determined city in India, another yet to be determined city in Egypt, and Santiago, the capital of Chile. Those are the countries that have kind of said we're up for it. There are some countries who put forward a bid but have since pulled it back and said perhaps they want to go for the twenty forty Games or something in the twenty forties, fifties or sixties. That's how far they're thinking. So those are cities like Mexico City, Berlin and Madrid.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, wherever it ends up being, we will keep you updated on the daily ohs and of course you can sign up to our sport newsletter that drops in your inbox every weekday at five pm. We will put a link in the show notes. Thank you so much for listening to today's episode. If you enjoyed it, send it to a friend. Don't forget to follow, subscribe wherever you listen to The Daily Ohs or if you're watching over on our YouTube. We'll be back tomorrow. Until then, have a great day.
Speaker 1: My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcottin woman from Gadigol Country. The Daily os acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadigol people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and torrest Rate island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.