Speaker 1: I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which this episode is being recorded, the Komboo Marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Conquer Podcast. This is the podcast where we have mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development. No matter where you are in your journey, we're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness. If you're ready to get into the driver's seat of your own life, stop letting life pass you by, then you're in the right place. Hello everybody, and welcome back to the RONC Potty. Firstly, I apologize for my voice. I have been on well, but luckily we have pre recorded this episode, so it's just the intro that sounds like this. But today we are talking about how to be okay with being a beginner and starting again. We noticed a reoccurring theme in our community of people wanting to make big life changes but not wanting to start again and wondering if they are doing things too late. So in this episode we unpack it all. We really get into what it could feel like to start again, embracing change, and how important it is really to embrace change for your success. But before we get into the episode, A Tia, do you have any weekly recommendations for us? Yes, mine's pilates. You can't take my recommendation, you know what I've been doing polite, I know, but it's so fun and it's just it's so feminine. Let's just like Coke collab on.
Speaker 2: This recommendation, our joint recommendation. Literally, I just feel like I feel so strong but so relaxed after doing a class.
Speaker 1: And the music's always really relaxing too. I feel the exact same, and it's really invoking like my feminine energy. Yeah, and I'm like, I feel like everything's lengthening and like I feel so long and strong and it's just, yeah, it's really relaxing. Like I feel like my quartersole is just being reduced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love it. Because I genuinely get excited for it as opposed to like weight training. I'll go and I'll do it, and I know I feel good after, but it's like pilates, I feel good before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, oh, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I will also mention we had our rebirth event at free Living Polaratei studio, and if you are looking to get into Pilarti's in the Gold Coast area, we do have like a discounted one month membership for our R and Z listeners. They kindly sent us a little link.
Speaker 1: Yay. Free Living is amazing guys, if you're in that area, makes you check them out?
Speaker 2: And what popular link in the show notes for you?
Speaker 1: Amazing? Well, should we get into the episode, I'm gonna kind of take this in a different direction.
Speaker 2: Ok, it'll be good anyway.
Speaker 1: Should I leave that in for everyone? So we're to your rights notes for apisodes, and I read them. I'll say I read them before too, and planes and then we record like a week later, and more often than not, I'm like, we're changing us or I'm vibing this. Let's get straight to this, all right, Well, let's get straight into it. So I just think this is such a skill to strengthen that is going to make you successful. I think, well, this skill. So this come up because we actually had a question in the Facebook group about this, and we've noticed who we have a lot of people in the Facebook group talking about, you know, maybe changing careers or starting from scratch. And look, this is something I'm great at because literally did a six year law degree, got into law and then I was like, not for me, let's do something different, let's start from scratch. And I think, honestly, this is the skill that is going to make you successful in life, the one skill you probably need a couple more so, if you can embrace change and meet yourself where you're at and be keen to learn new things to embrace you know, learning new skills, changing how you do things, I truly believe this is a skill that is going to make you so successful. Now let me Obviously there's a logical side, and then there's a shadow lens side. Yeah, and so I think it's really really important to be okay with being a beginner and learning new skills and not letting your ego get in the way of you evolving, because if you think about it, if you cannot embrace change like within other people, within a situation, within yourself, you will never be able to evolve. And as humans, we need to be evolving, like we need to be going forward. And so for example, and this is actually something I notice in employees. So how I know if an employee is going to be quite successful in their career is how much change they can embrace.
Speaker 2: So like how adaptable you are to your surroundings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if an employee gets stressed out really easy, they can't deal with like me changing a deadline or you know, like a topic or you know, like in this situation, like so I get it, so you do it well or like you know, something like that stresses them out. I straight away get like, oh, very interesting, because if you can't embrace and like obviously use your discernment here. If I'm constantly changing deadlines, you're allowed to pull me up, Like that's what That's what I'm not saying because I've done that, But I'm just saying if someone gets stressed out very easy because something changes and they can't adapt to me, that's a bit of a red flag straight away because I'm like, oh, you can't deal with change, And if you can't deal with change externally, You're not going to be able to deal with change internally, and that's how you evolve and that's how you're going to succeed. Guys, my mouth is on the floor. I've never thought about it like that. Yeah, you like, do you see from your subconscious it's kind of like a shadow work lens of you can't deal with change, so you're never going to be able to allow yourself to change. And that's even something like, notice how judgmental you are to other people if they change, if they change careers, if they you know, even I remember there was such this story of like, oh, she keeps changing her degree, like she just can't stick to a degree, you know, and like they'd say that about like their unifriends as well. Yeah, and I'd be like, so interesting, Like why are you upset about that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why how is it affecting you?
Speaker 1: And that's because they probably have a lot of beliefs around I can't change. I have to be one person and I have to follow this direct line and I cannot change.
Speaker 2: And do you think that comes from almost feeling shame if you do change? Yeah, or like quote unquote give up on something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like almost like this mentality of like I must see this to the end, and I think, I think there's good things about that mentality. But I've just noticed even in myself, I had a great reflection at the start of the year, is I actually stopped my evolution in regards to when I had IVY because I couldn't adapt to my new self. And that's what like the whole rebirth course was about, is adapting to your new self. And I had a lot of issues around that because of how like kind of like not said in my ways, but how logically I saw evolution and how I wasn't able to adapt to my new self because it wasn't what I thought right, And so I stopped my own.
Speaker 2: Growth because you almost boxed yourself into I'm evolving, but it's this.
Speaker 1: Way, yeah, and it can only be this way, and that it only makes sense to me if it's this way.
Speaker 2: And what shifted for you?
Speaker 1: I guess we'll like doing the identity work around not having to be in that box and not having to have limitations. And I think like the way that you can strengthen this side of yourself, like bringing it back to the main question of being able to deal with change and being able to be a beginner. And I'll get to the beginner side in a second. But in regards to being able to deal with change, is I guess like strengthening that is well, it's it's like our life happens for me a tia like we queens have been able to deal with change because we have actually ref to our mindset that when ship doesn't go our way, we actually go, oh no, this is happening for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know when I realized how strong that is in us. He always know this. But Cooper broke his arm. This is a weird story, but he broke his arm and he was supposed to go on his spear fishing trip. And when he came in and told Jamie, Georgina and I that he broke his arm, we were like, oh, well, obviously maybe something was bad was going to happen on the spear fishing trip, so you broke your arm so that nothing bad happened. And we were like, gosh, we're like really positive. Most people would just be sad that they broke their arm and couldn't go on their holiday.
Speaker 1: Was he like responsible to that? I remember, No, I think he agreed.
Speaker 2: He was just upset his arm was broken, but yeah, he was just like, yeah, it probably is, like that's like what he definitely agreed with it. But it was just like interesting to see how quickly our minds went there instead of ever thinking, oh, just sucks, you can't go on your hold.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's what I mean, Like, this is going to be such a huge tool for you if you can embrace change, because like a lot of people, something happens and they sit in a low frequency for days, weeks, and then what happens is you're sitting in a low frequency and you attract more low frequency things. So if you can be able to embrace change and actually be like cool, this actually might be happening for me, or even just like a neutral state of like cool, I'm not going to let this be the end of the world. It's like something Brookie was saying when we did our end Hah retreat. She's like, my favorite thing with the team is like we don't cry anymore when something goes wrong, because, like you know, right at the start, especially when you're first starting a business, it can feel like if like one thing happens and it can.
Speaker 2: Just feel like the end of the world, like your bad it doesn't change in the right or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like something happens, and like I do remember there was quite a few times we'd have a lot of people crying in the office or just like you know, feeling stressed, and then because they're feeling stressed, you're feeling stressed, and it just creates this whole atmosphere. Whereas we've shifted our whole perspective now and like I've evolved how I do things, and the team has evolved how they do things, and like something happens, and Brookie straight away she's like, cool, well the solution, we can do this, this and this, what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Gee?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, cool, well let's do this amazing and we just move forward. We embrace it. Whereas if you're that person that like goes to your boss and you're like, oh my god, this thing's happen. It's the worst fucking thing and you're stressed, I guarantee your boss is going to be like red flags. I feel like we've been there. Yeah, look, I've been that. I've been that person. And that's what I mean is like I can truly see, like the rate at how successful someone is going to be by the way that they can embrace and hold change, because if you think about it, it's just holding an uncomfortable feeling. That's so true, and in your life to succeed, to go to that next level, you are going to have to go through uncomfortable feelings. You're going to have to go through uncomfortable stages. So the people that I can see that can actually hold that and stay true to who they are and stable to who they are are obviously going to be able to combat more, get through more, get through more levels. And so that's why I truly believe. It's like it's a skill, and the great thing is it's a skill you can strengthen. So I think I was going to this before that I jumped. But so how you can do this is like bring it back to little moments when things don't go your way and being like, oh, how can I actually see the positive or how can I sit in the feeling of this being really uncomfortable but not freak out.
Speaker 2: I so agree with that, and I think sometimes it just because I definitely was someone like, especially through high school, I got rattled so easily, Like if the tiniest thing went wrong. It was end of the world and something that helped me first before obviously being able to like completely just let things flow and happen and just adapt. I would just try to be unbothered like I would. I just worked on that initial reaction of when something goes wrong, what do I do? And I think if it like sometimes when you drive, and then I'll be the best driver. So I don't know if everyone will relate to this, but have you ever hit the curb a little bit?
Speaker 1: I definitely haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like it comes down to whether you hit the curb and you're like, oh my god, pull over, check the car, blah blah blah, or like you just roll over the curb and like okay, cool and then carry on driving.
Speaker 1: My god, love that example. It's so true. I've never got an ad Oh we'll deal with I'll deal with it when I stopped. Well, that's even Like me and Cooper spoke at a conference the other day, and it's really interesting because I hadn't really done a public speaking thing to that extent, especially in between in front of like a whole room of professionals, and it was really cooled that n H got invited, and we were talking about our sustainability journey and also just like how we really lean into our community and our social activations to drive the brand. So it was a topic that I absolutely, you know, loved and wanted to chat about. But I did notice, like Cooper was quite nervous, and I noticed in myself this feeling of being nervous. But also, you know, I had the questions. I had prepared the questions, and then I noticed this part of myself who literally like kind of said to myself, I prepared. I'm here because you know, n H deserves to be here. You know, we have it, we have a spot at the table, we have some stuff that people would want to know, and so I choose to be unbothered, like and I noticed though that being a choice yeah, and being like, oh, like, worst case scenario, I stuff up, something happens, but I've literally done all I can. I prepared. There's like there's not much more I can do. So it's like whatever happens is going to happen, and I can't really change it either way. So I most will sit in this feeling of like cool.
Speaker 2: I'm chill, And do you think sometimes that feeling of not being able to handle the change or on comfort comes from under preparing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also think it comes from a choice. And that's the thing is if there is truth to you feeling nervous, yeah, maybe you have underprepared. And in saying that, like I didn't, It's not like I was preparing for weeks. I wrote it in my notes, I said it a couple of times, and that's me preparing it pretty well, sounds good, So a hundred percent bit like I did notice even that thought in my mind of like, oh, maybe I should like practice a bit more, and I just went, no, yeah, I'm not doing I'm not leaning into that story. And I guess that's what I'm trying to say is a lot of people they think they don't have that awareness and they think they don't have that choice, but you actually do. You just have to be a bit more aware and conscious before that feeling takes over. And obviously that does come with practice. Yeah, And that's what I mean. It's like, you know, when you go to the gym and you work out, you're not straight away a fit person. You have to do practice and then you're a fit person. And obviously I have done quite a bit of public speaking. I speak on a podcast, so it would come more easier to me because I have practice and I've strengthened that side of myself. But I did notice it's still a choice I have to make. Yeah, And I think a lot of people just think, oh, well, she's just naturally gifted or she's just naturally chill. I was very much like you a tear, Like things would happen and I would have fucking meltdown. Yeah, Like even how I said, like at the start of n H, like the whole team would have a meltdown and cry and don't laugh and we just and now we just don't do it, Like I just refuse to feed into the story. And also I like, I just truly believe that you can be transparent and everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: So I just I'm like, why what, like why worry? Why feed into that?
Speaker 2: I think something that you actually just said sparked a little aha moment for me in that I feel like sometimes people freak out because society feeds that, and it's almost quote unquote cool like to be able to talk, like, for example, just like a work one if you have a job that you're super passionate about and you like have meltdowns when things go wrong. A lot of people will validate that and be like, oh, it's all good, You're just crying because you care. Yeah, And it then feeds that. It feeds that for you because I used to think, oh my gosh, I'm crying because I care. I'm just passionate about what I do. It's fine to care, like I need to just let my emotions happen. But there's also a line of like, am I crying because I care? Or am I crying because I can't self regulate? Wow? Yeaes and like you can have a job and be passionate and not cry when something goes wrong.
Speaker 1: That's such a great point in to Yeah, and I think that comes in like that comes in a lot of self responsibility. Yeah, And that's like it's something you might need to kind of check in with yourself because also this is probably getting a bit too deep. But a lot of the time that person would be getting secondhand gain from doing that, so yeah, you know, they would be getting well, I cry and then my partner's like quite nice to.
Speaker 2: Me, and everyone's like, oh, it's okay, or even.
Speaker 1: In an employee's sense because oh my god, this so happened. If you know someone is like they can't ill stress, or that they're quite sensitive, maybe their workload isn't as big, and people purposely don't give them work or purposely is like, don't tell this person. They're gonna freak out. Like I've actually I've done that with employees, be like, oh my god, fucking let's sort it out together. Don't tell this person because they can't deal with it. And so even that person, they might even be feeding into that because they get secondhand gain. They get people like walking on eggshells around them, and that's too careful with how they ask them to do things. Yes, yes, so again that's take some responsibility there. Yeah, and obviously you know the people around you. Just check in if they're feeding into the positive story or if they're feeding into the negative story. But I truly like coming back to it though, I truly believe if you can learn how to embrace change and actually thrive of change, holy shit, you're going to be such a solid human That is going to lead to so just so many up levels. And I, yeah, I just I think that's just such a thing that people don't talk about and then also just to feedback into our original topic, let's give them some tips. So I am just such a big believer that you should always be okay with being a beginner. And I just think you can miss so much if you And this is like, this is a very ego thing, but it's like if you refuse to get taught something, or you refuse to kind of like go to the quote unquote bottom because you're used to being in a certain area of your employment or your small business or your business or your company or I know whatever. Yeah, it's like you're going to miss so much. And that's even like something that I love is at our end Hatred Retreat, we were doing our values and someone said, what I love about our team is there's no job small enough that someone won't come in and help. So it's like, for example, if shit's going down in customer service, you know Alex who's like head of logistics, it is like Brookie, what do you need? I can jump in and like no one's above anyone else, and we're all ready to like you know, get in there and help someone else. And I think it's just such an amazing skill. And again It's like, if you refuse to go back to being a beginner and learning and basically embracing change, you are not going to be able to evolve in yourself because you've basically told yourself, no, we don't need to learn that we're perfect as we are. You're never gonna evolve, You're never going to move forward. So get okay with being beginner, learning new things, getting told things. Oh my god, like the biggest thing you will know if you're in your ego. If someone is telling you something and your response is like I already know that or I know better, their way is wrong, you know you're in your ego if those are the statements the thoughts in your head, and you need to check yourself and obviously use discernments. Sometimes that is completely correct. Yeah, but sometimes you are completely limiting your growth. And I guarantee you, if you do it once, you've done it a thousand times.
Speaker 2: And I guess something interesting with that could almost be that sometimes the universe will give you like a little bit of a nudge. And that might be someone saying, hey, like you're doing great at this, but you could improve and blah blah blah, and you and your head go, I already know that I'm across it. Everything, you will get pushed back down by the universe if necessary, if you're not listening to that little nudge and so just obviously again, like the.
Speaker 1: Lesson's gonna fucking keep coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I truly believe in like karma lessons. So if like the universe is trying to show you a lesson and you constantly ignore it, you're going to keep having the same karma. You'll just be living the same thing over and over again. It might come through all different people, but you'll be like, why does this keep happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What are some other tips you have for people to I guess embrace being a beginner and embrace change.
Speaker 1: Definitely, you know, I like acknowledge it is hard and uncomfortable, but you can do hard and uncomfortable things. I think you're very you're living in a fairy tale. If you think life is just about things coming to you easy, things being easy, that's literally not how we do things. We build character, we build our skills. We strengthen our skills through uncomfortable and hard things, So start getting comfortable with them. Like I said, it's like realizing and reframing. So with our life happens for me motto, we've basically just reframed. When something bad happens, we're reframing that perspective and that has helped us so much. So again, get really good at catching yourself reframing. I think, just like trust your evolution. So it's like, these people are coming into your world for a reason. These things are happening for a reason, Like a Tia said, if things keep popping up and you're like why does this keep happening, start listening to the universe because it's trying to nudge you. It's trying to evolve you, and you need to start embracing it. Otherwise you're going to it's going to feel like, you know, you're hitting a wall all the time, Whereas it's like you can get a nudge and it can still be really beautiful. I think just like be really open to being a beginner and like be really humbled by even if you are an expert on your field. Or It's a great example for me is you know, I'm co owner and co creator of an eight figure business, but I'm so open to people giving me feedback, to people giving me information, Like we had one of our S and OP meetings the other day, which is just like systems and operations, which we have monthly to go through and hate like what were the things that worked well? What didn't? How can we move forward? And we have an external consultant for retail and he's involved in these meetings for the retail side of things, and he comes from a really like corporate background, so he's used to S and OP meetings of like one hundred million dollar companies and so he has brought in a lot of like the systems and processes. And I had to really check myself because at the start I noticed I was like, we're not corporate, we don't do things that way. Like I wasn't. I wasn't saying that to him, but I noticed the thought and I had to check myself and be like, are you just in your ego? Because also we can be a company that's not quote unquote corporate, but we can have some really great systems and practices. And that's what I mean. It's like I had to humble myself and I had to check in with myself, and that was a really great exercise for me. And that was the time where I had to go back to be being a beginner out because I had fucking no idea and sop medias. And also I remember asking him and being like, hey, I have no idea. I would love to learn the process. I would love to learn how you know you get these metrics and why they matter. And I asked him for help and he was so open to it, and he was so like, oh my god, yes, let me teach you. Because I was so like, I'm a beginner, you know, help me. And I think people are really responsive when you put yourself in when you ask for help and you actually ask for direction, because people actually love helping. People generally love helping. So if you can do it in a way that is really respectful, people generally like, yes, I want to help you.
Speaker 2: I love that you said that, because I think that that is one of the biggest things that people struggle with when they're a beginner, is asking questions and asking for help because you do have to get out of your ego. But if you think about it, that is the best way to get things done. Like, for example, I know a lot of the questions in the Facebook group are about like starting at new jobs, and people are struggling because obviously something you find interesting is like you do lose that secondhand gain from everything you quote unquote put into the job prior, like that doesn't necessarily get carried over to the new business and you're having to prove yourself again. And I think people go into this I have to be impressive. I have to get everything right. I can't ask questions, I can't ask for help. I really want to impress people. And what's impressive is actually being vulnerable and saying, hey, no idea what your business's processes are? Could we take half an hour an hour to so you can run me through it, and don't be scared to ask a million and one questions when you first start something, because it just makes you that much better, that much faster, rather than like trying to be impressive and then getting three months in and going like, I actually have no idea what's going on?
Speaker 1: Because yes, I love that. And that's also like something we really encourage in both businesses as like anything you want to know, need to know, Like let's communicate and let's talk about that. Don't just like pretend you know and then like not do good work. Yeah, right, Like that's the silliest thing ever. So I love that you touched on that. But guys, I hope you have absolutely loved this episode. A bit of a riff, but it was so good. And guys, make sure you come and jump in our Facebook group because that's where we chat about all this stuff. And yeah, come and join us. Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conker podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing. And look, if you're feeling stra kind a review on Apple Podcasts would be great