Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on Them, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is a Friday. It is one of our favorite days of the week, so it is time to get my little team together and celebrate you, our gorgeous She's on the Money community today ms Greed. She is going to be sharing her favorite money wins. Beck Sayed, who is very husky, is going to be sharing her best broke tips, and we're going to be helping to answer juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about deciding how to funnel your savings. Then on the other side of the show, we are going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking about Christmas gift etiquette. Before we get any further into the show, misters Gricci, how is your week been going? Ah? I oh no, I feel like I feel like this year you're so ready to write off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I think I'm just tearing on the edge of a mental breakdown. But aren't we all at this time of year? Right?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yes, absolutely, like I'm done with this year. Twenty twenty three can get in the bin. I'm so ready for twenty twenty four. Agree. I just yeah, I'm a bit done. Me too.
Speaker 3: I riached my pants this morning and I just really like, how how would you go on that thing that.
Speaker 2: Happened to you?
Speaker 3: On my butt? And I'm so upset because these are my favorite Alice Kadie Abounds, you should color the.
Speaker 2: Bum's like, yeah, they're free broke tips. She's like, color You're spinning with a permanent marker and you won't be able to see it's a giving season.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna they're.
Speaker 3: Brown, not black.
Speaker 2: Though that's the only get a different text of Jesse Carr.
Speaker 3: If anyone in the office has a brown textile, I'll borrow.
Speaker 2: I will slide into lskt's and be like, Hi, So those brown flare leggings that you used to make.
Speaker 3: I think they don't sell them anyone that's do you have?
Speaker 2: I know they don't sell them anymore because I wanted a pair and they're sold out. But I'll slide into their dams and be like, excuse me, do you have any floating around to the office. Do you have a staff member that was gifted them and doesn't wear them enough to deserve to keep them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're secondhand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't even care. I can stitch them up for you, chim, but I feel like leggings stitched up is. It's hard, but we can definitely do it anyway. How are your pants back?
Speaker 5: My pants are currently stained as usual, but otherwise.
Speaker 2: Wholeless houllless they are. I'm impressed.
Speaker 4: I'm really sorry.
Speaker 5: In advance to everyone listening, I've lost my voice. I think it's what you had.
Speaker 2: For I think bronchitis is definitely going around.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I'm going to say I sounded even better than you did.
Speaker 4: I usually love a husky voice, but I read it. I don't know if I like this one.
Speaker 2: No no, no no. I like I sounded worse. Like I wasn't trying to say, oh, I sounded so sexy. I actually sounded like a demonic demon that's hot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I was trying to get through the week the other week and Maddie called me in the morning and I was like, Hey, this is what we're going to do today, like any questions. Farra and I started talking and she's like, right, I'm calling you on producer because there's no way you're allowed on the show. And I was like, but I want to go here, and she was like, absolutely not. You don't even sound sexy. You sound disgusting. And I was like, you know what, I appreciate an honest team.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but my week's been otherwise good. I feel like my symptoms physically, I'm not really there. I literally just have no voice, and so what do I do with myself? But the week's been great. You know, it's it's festive season.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling so excited and so so festive, so festive.
Speaker 4: How about you Pe.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly same as jess I mean probably haven't been thrown under the buses many times by the world as jess in the last year.
Speaker 4: You know what I did.
Speaker 2: At least you're acknowledging it, Like I don't know what you did in a past life that it was bad. Juju, Jessica, why is it happening right now? Literally at the end, it's all compounding.
Speaker 3: Giving me a mental breakown the gator rates.
Speaker 2: In the microwave with you. My week has been good, you know, the lead up to Christmas, I feel like there's a a lot of pressure to have already organized all your Christmas presents, like I'm seeing it on TikTok and like, don't get me wrong, like I haven't organized all of my Christmas presents yet. But in my head, leaving Christmas shopping to the last minute actually means doing all your Christmas shopping like Sunday, so like the day boxing Christmas or like you know, on Christmas Eve. Like to me, that's last minute if you're buying presents in the week leading up to Christmas, Like, mate, you're prepared. In my head, you're prepared. That's organized. So I feel like there's a lot of I don't know. I'm on TikTok and they're like, if you haven't organized all your presence by now, you're behind. I'm like, so I'm blocking you. I don't need that type of energy right now.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also personally, I'm not doing gifts.
Speaker 2: Also, I am the gift bye exactly that. No physical gifts, no physical gifts from you. I don't think so I rate that. Yeah, I think, I think. I think that's great.
Speaker 4: Maybe Chocky's at most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you gave us the chockey before, which was very, very nice. We'll talk about that later in the show though, because we're going to talk about Christmas gift etiquette and I would love to know your thoughts on that. But before we get there, that's the other half of the show. Guys, stop getting ahead of yourself too excited. We get to hear from miss Jesz Gricci what her favorite community money wins were. So, jess what money wins? All confessions have you got to share this week?
Speaker 3: Starting off with a slightly self indulgent one from Anna which Sally money win. It's taking me the better part of this year. But I finally listened to every she's on the Money and Business Bible episode. I've made so many changes in my life with more to come next year to put myself and my children in a far better financial standing, adore.
Speaker 2: But also, I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
Speaker 3: Well, don't Anna.
Speaker 2: That is a lot of ep that is so that's like five hundred plus episode, so many episodes.
Speaker 3: Incredible work. Next, I've got one from Rebecca who said I did a huge Christmas grocery shop today and I spent no money. I redeemed my Flatbys points which I've been collecting for the year to pay for it after saving over three hundred dollars worth. And then she gave us a cheeky pro tip to get a one pass membership because you get free shipping and bonus fly byes points at Kmart, Bunnings, et cetera. And it adds up really quickly. Who fix lay.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got one from Domenica, and I kind of just have questions because she said.
Speaker 2: You're like, I have questions. This is why it's going on the show.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have questions too. She said, I picked up three extra shifts at work, which was an extra three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry what you're.
Speaker 3: I have questions, Dominica, are you recruiting because.
Speaker 2: Jessica is currently doing what are you doing? Just a thousand dollar challenge at the moment on TikTok, which is very cool, very creative. I'm also like, excuse me, are you not getting paid enough if she's on the money. But okay, so she's trying to save one thousand dollars in the next month, she could just do one of Domenica's shifts.
Speaker 3: Yes, literally, here's me trying to be creative and I'm recycling bottles and returning like I'm trying.
Speaker 2: Like she's to God, which we honestly respect, mad respect. But and then is like, oh, yeah, by the way, I do that in one shift at work. Wow, America, you can't just drop that and then not tell us what you do for work, because I cannot think of a job that has one thousand dollars shift that you can just pick up if you want chess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sobe an announcer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to head back to that to announcer.
Speaker 4: Like a radio announcer.
Speaker 3: Maybe are you famous?
Speaker 2: Famous?
Speaker 3: We're gonna We're gonna go back to the comments, because I'm sure Dominica is gonna let us know what Dominica and I'll be spliating into her tms.
Speaker 2: Can you not slide into Jessica's dms? I actually want to keep her.
Speaker 3: On the team. Next, I've got a money in from Phoebe, who said, I didn't order any of you, but it's last week.
Speaker 4: Good for you, simple.
Speaker 3: But a good one.
Speaker 2: I can't relate.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: No, I correlate this time.
Speaker 3: Movie up. Sorry, all bets are out the window. Next, I've got a money in from Sanade, who said, win, I got three squish mellows at the Salvos for two dollars instead of paying thirty five dollars each. At the shops, everyone's happy.
Speaker 2: Just do you remember last year when we were shopping Christmas shopping together and we could not find the squish mellow she wanted. Yes, we went to like every single shop finding squish meallows feel. I think it was your nace.
Speaker 4: And what's a squish mellow.
Speaker 2: It's like a giant toy.
Speaker 3: They're like squishy, flushy toy.
Speaker 5: Cute.
Speaker 4: Okay, they look like a marshmallow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind they do all different. This is such a side note, they do all different characters. I've ended up on jelly Cat TikTok is anyone else there?
Speaker 2: I'm a Jellycat Christmas tree.
Speaker 3: I want to do what's so bad? So jelly Cats are like a booge as toy and they do these like really fun They're adorable. I'll show you a phone like fifty bucks toy soft toy. They do a marshmallow That's what I think that they do, like the set of marshmallow twins that are really cute. They do little croissants.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that was showing us right now. That's very cute.
Speaker 3: But it's one of those things that great gift would not pay full price for it. But just want to say said, I highly rate the idea of getting your gifts at the shop for Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's genius. Agreed, that's absolutely genius. Yes, what else have you got, Jess?
Speaker 3: That's actually I thought a good one to wrap it up with Christmas Christmas win.
Speaker 2: Love, great love all right, Beck, you gave us the broke tip earlier of just coloring in your skin when you rip your leggings, and that was really really good.
Speaker 3: One that I will in fact probably take you up on.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I'm not actually going to be letting you use that as you're one of three today. So what broke tips you bringing to the table this week?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I'm going to do my very best and sorry in advance for the listeners who are so sick in my voice right now.
Speaker 3: No, they all love it. We're assuming they love it.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're assuming they love it. So my first one comes from Saz, who says, the grass is currently seating right now, so you can mo it scatter the seeds on patchy parts of your lawn and it works really well. That's something I never knew.
Speaker 2: That's something I would make my husband do.
Speaker 5: Yes, be honest, the feminism leaves my body when things.
Speaker 3: Are That is my boyfriend's dot. We have this argument every week because I'm like, the lawn needs to be married, and he's like, okay, well then mow the lawn just to be like annoying because he's like, well when you're gonna do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, I would actually write because I know how much housework just does, so I'd be like, really, we're gonna play this game.
Speaker 3: He knows that the lawn is his job. I'm like, that is in our household. It's just not mine, that's all I know.
Speaker 2: I'm a staunch feminist, Like, I'm just like, nah, there's no such thing as men and women jobs, like absolutely not equal pay all of that. You guys, I'm assuming no me well enough by now to know my thoughts on that. The second you step inside my house, we have pink and blue jobs. Yeah, I will not take out the bin. I will not be mowing the lawns, doing anything to clean the back deck. Are you joking? Sorry, that's not in my wheelhouse. That's a blue job. A blue job, I mean technically I have to because you know, okay, yeah, how does that work in a same sex couple. Well, oh, you just have to take for the team and actually mow the lawn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which really sucks. Or you just call the dude to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's smart.
Speaker 4: That's when the feminism.
Speaker 2: Leaves your body. That's okay, I'm alright with that. Yeah, it's a really good tip though. Thank you, Yes, I mean well, thank you sas. The next one comes from Emily, who says that the Hungry Jacks app have a shaken win game where you get two chances to win something or get it cheap, like a cheeseburger nuggets, which is like obviously you know. Again, as I always say, like sometimes if you don't have money you're literally just trying to survive, or if you're trying to treat yourself low budget, you know, whatever your.
Speaker 5: Situation might be. Yeah, this is really this is a great idea, so you might have like a free burger one day or a freemast awesome.
Speaker 4: I just think it's really cool. Am I actually down with this?
Speaker 2: I think you should download it and try it. One of my favorite things in the entire world is actually this this niche Jessica, I think it was you and I recently Sammy recently discovered this Hungry Jack's chips slap Oh they're so good. Why are they so good? So like I don't know how to explain it, but if we were talking about like how skinny a McDonald's french fry is, and then how fat a KC Chip is, it's in the middle.
Speaker 4: It's in the middle.
Speaker 2: It's in the middle. Yeah, I don't know, but it's wizardry and they are really good. They really good niche because I don't think many people are like, oh, yeah, Hungry Jacks is my favorite fast food. Yeah, I've never heard anyone say that, but chips are the best, and the vegan burgers a vegan burgers are actually good, good, really good. We're not even paid by Hungry Jacks. But honestly not yet, Hungry Jacks. If you wanted to pay us, would it burgers on the show?
Speaker 3: I would be very okay with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah too, because we're all okay, real hungry, just like, oh.
Speaker 4: It's end of year, we're all a little bit sick.
Speaker 2: Let's we're recording and I'm literally, guys just sitting here thinking, oh, I wonder if the cafe downstairs, because under our studio there is a cafe called Little Nookie, which we are like so cute, but they do these feta and pumpkin like little egg muffins and beck, you saw me eating one the other day and it was really really good, and I have dreamt about them since there is going to be an actual riot if I go down there and there's none, fair I really want to see that. Yeah, Okay, wellay, coffee, Yeah, I will literally flip the table or something like. I hope so I'm pregnant, I'm hungry and you said I could have pumpkin it's the.
Speaker 3: End of your energy.
Speaker 4: But we would be like, you can't lift anything heavy, we'll flip the table.
Speaker 2: For yay, so good, all right, Beck, what is your broke tip?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: So my one I actually was inspired by Jessica Richie. At this time I recycling bottles and cans, and now in Victoria we can do that. So I'm taking a page out of your book. And also my mum, when we lived in Sydney together, would go and do this occasionally and honestly we'd rack up like ten twenty dollars, which.
Speaker 2: Is enough if you see, that's such a good money in it's so good, and that's a whole bloody dinner.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: It's sometimes even like, depending on your situation, if you're like a single person, that could be a week's worth of food for you exactly. So I think this is, yeah, just such a rate like way to recycle and make money and buy yourself some groceries.
Speaker 3: Can I cudd on to it? Yes, I would say, like collecting the bottles, ask people around you, because at this time of year, people have bottles and cans they want to get rid of they're hosting parties and they're recycling. So if you go to a friend's house and they're do a thing and you're helping cleaning to take all of the recycling home for you, Yeah, like I just be like I'm doing the recycling thing. It's really fun. I'm loving it. Like do you want to take your cans? And nine times out of ten they'll say yes. Also, the workplace, people don't want to have to take the work bin out. So if you have a recycling bin.
Speaker 2: I already came. I already told Jessica we should be going in to the studio's kitchen and putting her own bin in there for cans and bottles and then just collecting it when we come into record.
Speaker 3: Scavenged through like a little raccoon. Don't be ashamed because like.
Speaker 2: You don't be ashamed to be a raccoon.
Speaker 3: No, true, a recycling raccoon. You're doing good for them as really cute. I are super cute. I'm not mad about being a raccoon.
Speaker 2: But when we were in America and we're talking to people about raccoons, because I didn't get to see one, and I was really sad. I did see a squirrel and I cried squirrel. Oh my gosh, Beck, it was the best moment of my entire life. But I said I wanted to see a raccoon because I was like, those are really cute. And every American that I said that to would give me side eye and be like, what is wrong with you? Why would you want to see a like a bin bear? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 3: It's like their version of bin chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, why would you want to see a bin bear? And I'm like, ah, have you seen them? Like, they're very cute.
Speaker 4: They are really cute.
Speaker 2: Well, Beck, those are good broke chips.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I like that. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be talking about how to decide where to funnel your savings, and then we're going to get into Christmas gift etiquette, what it means, how it works, and talk about a little spicy question one of you wrote in for us about that topic. So guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma? You just can't solve the Shees on the Money team is here to help.
Speaker 7: Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show.
Speaker 2: Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, she is on the Money. My partner and I are about to purchase a home, and we're thinking about how to best use the money available each week for savings. Now, it's not going towards a house deposit at this stage. It's about five hundred dollars a week, and we'd like to use some of it to make extra mortgage repayments and some of it to set up an investment portfolio. We don't have any consumer debt, and we do have an emergency fund. My question is how do we make a decision about splitting money between investing and extra mortgage repayments. My partner would like to put most of the money on the mortgage, but I'm worried about making sure we put enough in investments, as we are already in mid thirties and don't yet have an investment portfolio, and I want to make sure we are setting ourselves up for the future. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Luckily, for this one, I can rest my voice because I assume vickied, how's the answers?
Speaker 2: No, never, what would you do?
Speaker 3: I mean it's value based spending, right. Partially, I feel like you would have to. Ideally you'd do the math, so you'd look at maybe our favorite compound interest calculator on the money Smart website and chuck in how much you could potentially earn on investing over thirty years or however long the term of your mortgage is, and then you would compare that to how much interest you would save by making those extra mortgage repayments, right, which is like.
Speaker 2: The practicem just not needed on this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fine, but.
Speaker 3: It comes down to values. I feel like, yeah, you'd say, right.
Speaker 2: So I'll just see myself walk downstairs. Yeah, if that's okay, no worries. Can I grab my bag before I leave it to you?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Could you just pack up my desk? Yes, I'll be really gentle with all the plants.
Speaker 4: Come promise anything.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to work out the mortgage. Interesting though, so you can't grow?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Oh okay, well I finally have value in life. You are absolutely correct. It's really about values based spending. And what it sounds like is your values are building an investment portfolio, and your husband's values are paying down the mortgage. And I think we, actually, before we talk about returns, need to step back a little bit and go, well, why does he have I guess, not a fixation, but where his values coming from when he says he wants to pay down the mortgage, because obviously that feels very financially secure. So you know, Jess, I can almost guarantee this is just a values thing, knowing her when she has her mortgage, she's going to prioritize her mortgage guaranteed over the share market because that's what's going to make her feel safe and secure. And they know Jess well enough to know those are her values. Those could be your husband's values, and that's great. But we need to talk about this and also respect it because it's not quote which one is better. Let's ask she's on the money. They'll know I can tell you on paper which one is better. Investment portfolio, hands down. The average annual return over a thirty year period for the Australian share market right now is nine point two percent. Your average mortgage is sitting at about five So if we go, is getting a five percent return because I paid off more of my mortgage better than getting a nine point two percent return. Jessica the math maths and tells us that technically, on paper, the best return for your cash holder is the nine point two percent. However, that doesn't mean that it aligns to your goals and your values and your financial security and what you're trying to achieve. Maybe one of your big financial goals, like jess is, is to own your own property. And I can almost guarantee she wants to own that outright pretty quickly. Am I on the right track there?
Speaker 3: Jess Yeah, I think so. I think it's for me. It would just be a security.
Speaker 2: It's the third security, it's not a out. Not knowing the maths like just invests now. And I think she wouldn't stop. No, but I think that you would, you know, really prioritize making sure that mortgage is smashed down and it's out of your hair. For you, it's always been about like having your own home.
Speaker 3: But interest is a bit sickening when you look at like if you run the numbers on how much extra you pay, Like, I get that you have to, there's no way out of it, but oh makes me feel ill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't even start me like it's it's terrifying. But I think really understanding what that looks like. You've got some extra you know, cash flow. That's fantastic. But what are we doing now? You mentioned you already have an emergency fund. I'm glad you did, because that obviously would have been the first thing that I spoke about.
Speaker 3: She preempted you, she knew what you were gonna say you.
Speaker 2: But also, is your emergency fund working hard for you? Is it like offsetting any of the interest on your mortgage? Where's your emergency fund sitting? Is it just sitting where you used to have your emergency fund before you had a mortgage? What does that look like? How can we make that money work as hard for us as we did for it? So then after that we're looking at, you know, do we go into an investment portfolio, do we go into a mortgage? And to be honest, because there's two people in this relationship, we kind of need to always have compromise, So having a deep conversation with your husband about well, why are you prioritizing this. Let's have a look at the numbers. What does that look like? Maybe he's just never invested before and didn't realize what that looked like. Do what Jess said, go on the Money Smart website and have a look at that compound interest calculator. There are also so many calculators online for mortgage repayments, so you could google free mortgage repayment calculator and see what that money would shave off your mortgage. How many years is that going to take? If you're in the ses on the Money Money masterclass, girl, I already did it for you. It's built into the spreadsheet because I'm just really smart. Bit she's so smart, Oh a spreadsheet. I definitely do not have any tickets on myself either, So like, that's really good. You always want to work with people who are super humble. That's so important. But yeah, I would have a look at, well, what would it look like. Let's pretend you have an extra three hundred dollars a month. What would an extra three hundred dollars a month actually take off our mortgage? Versus what would it look like in an investment portfolio? What are the returns? But also when will you finish your mortgage? Because if you're planning on finishing your mortgage and chucking every single dollar to that, are you then only starting your investment journey in twenty five or thirty years? If so, how much time do you have for that to compound? Or you know, if it's three hundred bucks a month, could we split it? Could we potentially go half half again? As Jess was saying, it is values based, it's not often logic based, because money is inherently emotional. That's my Ted talk. Thanks for coming.
Speaker 4: You're so welcome.
Speaker 2: You've been a stellar guest.
Speaker 4: You so much.
Speaker 3: Notarious along, but I really want to get to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're like a Christmas fery.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's a good one this week, not that it isn't every week. It's a good one every week.
Speaker 2: But also anything that has anything to do with Christmas, like Jess's ears, just she's having a bad day, be like Jess or remember Christmas exists, and she's like, I don't even care that my house flooded. Yeah, I love Christmas? All right, Guys, here is the DM we received. Hello, she's on the money. I have a Christmas dilemma for you. So my siblings and I have put one hundred dollars spending limit on presents for each other this year. However, my sister has come back and requested more of a demand, if I'm being brutally honest, that we just transfer her the one hundred dollars rather than buying herself a.
Speaker 4: Gift with it.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know if it's just me, but this doesn't sit right. I'm more than happy to be in the Christmas spirit and spend the money on a nice present that I think she would love, but I don't really want to transfer one hundred dollars. It feels like I'm just giving my money away. She said she doesn't want or need any gifts and would just much prefer the cash. She also said she would return my present and get a refund so she can have the cash if I gave her one. I think she's being super ungrateful, but I mentioned it to my friend and she just said if cash is what she needs, it's not rude to ask for that over a gift. Now I'm not sure what to think. What are your thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: This is what we were talking about a couple of weeks ago with wedding gifts, and I said the same thing. I was like, I get why people ask for money, but for some reason, something in me feels a little bit uncomfy about it. Sure, and I think it's partially I said this already, but I think it's partially like the fact that they know exactly what you've spent. I mean like when you're if you're buying a gift someone, you can try get on sale, or you can you shop back to get cash back, or there are all of these ways for you to make it a little bit easily. If you giving us one hundred dollars, like you're giving them a hundred dollars, it's not really a whole lot of ways around that.
Speaker 2: Why are we doing gifts?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like you know, Jesse, if you and I sat down and put a limit on the gifts that we were giving each other, and I said it's to one hundred dollars and you said, yep, no worries, can I have it in cash? Well, are we just swapping one hundred dollars?
Speaker 3: Well, that's so true, like a little switch true.
Speaker 2: Like I'm going to give you one hundred dollars cash, Jess, and you're gonna buy me worth one hundred dollars. Like please, don't get me wrong, I'm always super grateful for it, but I think it changes the dynamic of like the spirit of giving at Christmas, Like I love buying gifts for people. I know Jess does too, and you do too. I've noticed your little love language is gifts. Like it's very very sweet, but it's also one of those things that you know, I give gifts because I want to spuck joy. I use gifts because you know, I see things and I go Jess would love that. Like I was so stoked this year when I picked Jess's present because I was like, it's from a place I know she loves. It's a thing I know that she would never buy herself. It's something that I really like, which to me is really important when giving gifts, because like I want to like something that I'm giving you, but also I just knew she would like it or hopefully like it, or she's lied to me this entire time and said she liked it. But it's one of those things where I just get a lot of joy out of that, Whereas if she'd said, oh, well, can you just transfer me to cash anyway, I'd be like, oh, well, this now just feels like a transaction as opposed to an entire like I've thought about you, Jess, this is something that I've gone, you know, above and beyond for of had to track it down and do this and do that, like I don't know. For me, gifts are the thought and that's why I've never really cared about what they cost. Like I saw in our Facebook group, did you see our Facebook group as well? There was a post about one of the girls had actually made our wheat packs. Yes, yeah, and she got these gorgeous tetails from Target that were like six dollars. She made a whole heap of them, and she was like, these wheat packs cost me like three dollars fifty a gift like money wine, and everyone's gonna love them. She wrapped them up beautifully because it was the thought that counts. Yeah, And I do feel like when I say, oh, yes, I'm gonna put a spending limit on our presence, it's one hundred dollars this year, I feel like that's the limit, not the expectations like, I'm not getting you a gift worth one hundred dollars. I'm just saying, let's just make sure that our budgets are relatively similar, Like, let's just make sure that we're not going, you know, really obnoxious this year. One hundred dollars is a lot of money too. It is for one gift for one person. Like, that's a lot of money. So I just look at it and go, you're just asking for a hundred bucks now that it's a bit weird. Whereas if I had set I don't know, if i'd set a budget of one hundred dollars, especially way back in UNI days and when I just was a bit more strapped for cash, I'd be like, great, let's pretend it's one hundred dollars. Yes, I'd then be like shopping around, going to DFO, trying to find something that was also discounted so I didn't have to spend the whole one hundred dollars, but you, as the gift receiver, was still getting a heap of value.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I don't know, I know I've been on the other end where I want the cash because especially if you're just so fair. Yeah, and like I guess if you're spending money over Christmas, what you really need is cash because you're like, it's so stressful sometimes it's so anxiety inducing. So I totally get wanting the money, but I totally get the dissatisfaction of literally just trend forring someone a hundred bucks, and also when it comes to like the morning of when that person's just sat there not opening any presents.
Speaker 4: But I guess, like if everyone's comfortable.
Speaker 5: Sending or not sending but giving the hundred dollars instead, I would maybe try and make it like creative, like get like a really cheap biggie bank and put like the hundred bucks in there, or like make it like it in a card and put it in something that you can still wrap so it feels like she's still opening a present or something like that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just transfer me to the hundred bucks, don't worry about it. Yeah, it feels very transactional, it does. It feels very unsatisfying. And then yeah, like what if everyone wanted that same thing, then everyone would just be like, oh, I'll just keep the money in my own account, and everyone breaks even no one gets a present, you know what I mean? Like may just start doing presents this year coase we stretch for cash, Like yeah, I don't know. I just I don't feel uncomfortable with it. Like I feel like I've given cash as presents before, when people would be like, oh, I'd love cash. And when I was younger, if my parents were like, what do you want for MS you new days, I was like money, yes, please give me money.
Speaker 3: I need cash. Yes.
Speaker 2: But and this is very entitled again, like it is absolutely showing my privilege. I knew that by asking my parents for cash, they would definitely give me cash, but I'd always still get something trivial to open on the day. And I feel like it did take the spark away, Like now I'm going to be a mum. I'm not gonna love giving my kids cash, like I'm a gift giver at heart, Like I'm not gonna love that, but it's also practical. Yeah, and right now I feel like asking for cash is fine, but like, let's just take it one step further. Let's not do that little dance of Jess. You get me a present worth one hundred dollars and I'll do the same thing, Like let's just be like, oh, let's just not do presents. You know what I would love a really beautifully written card, Hey, Merry Christmas. It's been so lovely hanging out with you this year, Like.
Speaker 3: It's really nice made card would be cute if you didn't want to do gifts, like, okay, we have to make each other something with stuff home. To make a card, you have to make it gingerbread house. You have to make something that doesn't cost money, but it's made with love.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. So we asked the community. We said, do you think it's rude to tell someone to give you cash instead of buying a gift? Forty two percent of you said yep, that's rude, but fifty eight percent of you said, Nope, not rude at all. We also asked the question, would you prefer the one hundred dollars gift or one hundred dollars in cash. Forty one percent of you said the gift, it's much more meaningful, and fifty nine percent of you said, give me the cash. It's just more useful.
Speaker 3: Cost a living crisis, it's true.
Speaker 2: The next question we asked was, have you ever returned a present for a refund suit that you could have the cash instead of the gift. Fifteen percent of you said yes and eighty five percent of you said no. It's hard because a lot of time you wouldn't have the receipts. I feel like, logistically, it's probably, you know, always gift with gift receipts because I'm anxious.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I gave Justs a Christmas present and then she looked like she liked it, but there was a little gift receipt in the bottom if she Yeah, but I'm always just like, oh, like I would tell someone that I loved the gift. Yeah, Like, have you ever been like, oh, thanks for the gift, Beck, I'm going to return this because it's not really my vibe. I couldn't no, neither, I do not have like I do not have that level of confidence, and I'm just too much for the people pleaser. Wouldn't happen regift? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, same. We should have asked about regifting. Yeah, sorry, guys, we suck all right, but we did say give us your two cents. So someone said, my sister and I just don't do presents for this reason. We both just get to keep our money.
Speaker 4: That's about.
Speaker 2: Someone said, I much prefer giving people cash or gift cards. People never pick what I need. Someone else said, no problem with asking for cash for Christmas. Sounds like your sister didn't ask for it though she demanded it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it's in the execution. Perhaps, sure I would. I really love cash this Christmas. I'm just so strapped. I guess might have gone over differently too. If you buy me a present, I'm returning it.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, Actually the tone is what threw me the most.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if I turned around and said, Jess, if you get me a present, I'm just going to return it.
Speaker 3: I love it?
Speaker 2: Awkward and you're like, oh okay, can you imagine if you'd already bought the present?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, like what I got to see myself out.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Someone said it's pointless to give one hundred dollars cash and then receive one hundred dollars cash. Just keep it, don't do the transfer, don't do gifts this Christmas. Yeah. A lot of people said there's nothing wrong with asking for cash, and absolutely that's the case. I think it really goes back to tone. So asking for cash is one thing being blunt and being like, Jess, I'll return your.
Speaker 4: Present, chucking it straight in the bin.
Speaker 2: I am not going to respect this at all. And then a few other people said, look, asking for a transfer does feel rude. Maybe a voucher could be a happy medium.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Like so you still like what you were saying back? You still have something to wrap?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: I just feel like vouchers limiting though, Like, don't get me wrong, I feel like lots of us appreciate like a Coals My gift card, And as a business owner, actually I've looked into this kind of stuff for like Christmas presents and bonuses and stuff, And as a business owner, it's actually easier to give you, guys like a gift card, like a Coals My gift card that you could use however you want them giving you cash because then you don't have to pay tax on it. Oh yeah, and it becomes like a work gift because I bought a thing for you, sense yeah, Whereas if I just transferred the cash, well that's income, isn't it, So see you later. However, many percent in tax you pay a lot of people have said, look, you just don't need more stuff, They just need to pay their bills, and I totally resonate with that. Again, I just honestly, like, I'm not going to go through too many more of these because they're honestly the same. A few of you are a bit rude, and I'm like, give her nothing. Someone else said, and I laughed at this. I shouldn't have laughed at this, because it's kind of nice. They were like, why don't you just make a hundred dollars donation on her behalf.
Speaker 4: Or she'd hate it, Like you can't refund that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: Anyway. I think it's really interesting. Again, I think, especially at this point in the year, people do just need cash to pay their bills, put food on the table, and I don't think it's bad to ask for that. I think it honestly all comes down to tone and meaning. And if you're demanding something and saying, well, I want this, and if you don't provide this, well then I'm just going to return your gift, that to me feels a bit ick and it's like, well, let's just not do gifts because you clearly don't even care about the fact that I would be gifting you something anyway, sure like, yeah, keep your money, I'll keep my money, and we'll just call it even so true. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Anything else to wrap with My ladies.
Speaker 3: Have a wonderful Christmas.
Speaker 4: Happy Christmas, my baby, Happy Christmas everyone.
Speaker 2: I am so excited for Christmas Day. I look forward to Christmases. It's the same. She's very festive, and I think you rock a little bit of a Christmas vibe too. I feel like you you slip into it. But it's also not the happiest time of year for each and every single one of our community members. So if you're hearing us talking about how exciting and amazing it is and you're like, geez like be like, that's not going to be my Christmas. One, I'm really sorry. Two, I'm thinking of you and we love you, and we hear every single other day of the year. At the end of the day, if you're not surrounded by people who love and support you, then maybe you're in the wrong room. But also, I just want to remind you all that we are thinking of you and that Christmas is bloody hard for lots of us.
Speaker 4: Yes aboutely so it's not.
Speaker 2: Easy, but another year we've done it, and I think that we all deserve a little bevragino to celebrate the fact that we're still here, We're still thriving.
Speaker 5: Absolutely big Merry Christmas and happy yu'll to those who celebrate.
Speaker 3: Yes see you next week, guys.
Speaker 2: Bye guys.
Speaker 7: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine