Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian no Common Show podcast. Yesterday on the show, we're a call from a very charming young man, Evander. At the end of the call, this is how he signs off. I've been doing this Lork almost twenty four years. No one's ever signed off like this.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time, Christian, still love them. Thank you for your time, Christians.
Speaker 1: I never hear it again, but just to get that once in a career is a beautiful moment, you know. Anyway, while we're chatting to him, towards the end of the call, I was saying how well spoken he was, and Evander, I've got to say, what do you want to do when you grow up? Who've got any idea? Because if you ever want to do radio, you have a great way of talking. You could easily take over from me.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks Christian, Yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do with Vander?
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: Yep, go over that. Then. It's one of the hardest passes we ever had on the show. And whatever he literally passed away. Those headphones have my being handed over to the young Padawana so that I'll have so much money I'd own the station and the group that own all the other stations with my robotics company. I love the ambition. I believe in Evander he will do that. I believe in Evanda will more than I believe in myself.
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: You go for it, you go for it. And it reminded me of the dreams we all had at fourteen. We all have various dreams at fourteen or what you'll think the future of your life and the future grown up you is going to be Jack? What was it for you? Rockstar at fourteen?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent rockstar had the guitar out had was trying to cobble together a band at.
Speaker 1: My high school.
Speaker 3: And you know, I enjoy this job. But imagine me traveling the world now on stage the next huge rock band. You guys would be wanting to interview me. Are you still there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I didn't think it was going to take a turn like that. I thought that sort of would be a nice thing just to talk about, just you know, the dreams were at fourteen. I don't really want to get called some people who then are going to sort of say where they are right now and you're you. Also, you're in a great position. You have a great job right now, you have a job.
Speaker 3: I love this job.
Speaker 1: Earlier I heard about earlier. I like this job. But what would the band have been called? Then? The band that should have become the big thing?
Speaker 3: I had a few names lined up. One was show Pony.
Speaker 1: Say No More and the other ones love the name show Pony, going to show pony from now on. You are like a show pony. You did become show pony in a way. You are this show's pony. You're a beautiful little pony, and sometimes you gotta be real careful with that pony. You give you a little nip or give you a little kick. You don't know what he get in with that pony, but he's a beautiful pony in that paddock.
Speaker 3: The other band name was the high Rollers.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, terrible, terrible.
Speaker 3: But show funny because we weren't high rollers. That was so people would be like, ah, they're just like you and me, but they're pretending to be high rollers.
Speaker 1: I think we know what stopped you achieving those dreams.
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: He's not alternaty, he's not got show, Pony right or the high Rollers. He's just got that robotics company.
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: Yesterday when I said, oh, it's like a fan of Elon Musk, he actually want this, I can take God leave he's not that smart, all right. So, Patsy, you at fourteen, what were your dreams?
Speaker 5: My dream was to become an FM newsreader for a major metropolitan Melbourne station. Seriously, it was fourteen year old dreams.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're not there on your hands and knees praying, Oh, dear God, please protect my family in FM. Do you know what that is? God? It's frequency modulation.
Speaker 5: In my dream, God, if I could.
Speaker 1: In a metro station, not stuck out here in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly how I felt. I was doing community radio. We experience at the local station.
Speaker 1: I'm not Whitney US and Discover Meats.
Speaker 3: Patsy hasn't lived up to your dreams.
Speaker 5: No, not at all, you too, This is not what I wanted at all.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on the show, I'm looking for a new show. Pony who has dreams? I mean on radio station in a metro city. I've got the keys, I've got two keys. Kids like it. Give us a call. Tell us about you at fourteen? What were your dreams at fourteen? Did you have dreams of becoming a show pony.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the Christian o' carl's show podcast.
Speaker 1: It's Christian and the Show Pony. So we just found out that was I'm gonna rename you Jackie boy. Now you become a show pony like a phoenix on the flames.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to be a show pony as the artist. It was the band who is going to be called show.
Speaker 1: No believe it be it. You are my donna, You're the Show's madonna. You are show pony, b show pony. Change your Instagram name immediately, chopone, Oh think about it. Okay, all right, so we're talking this morning. Then after Evander called the show yesterday, and Evander, I've got to say, what do you want to do when you grow up? Who got any idea? Because if you ever want to do radio, you have a great way of talking. You could easily take over from me. Thanks Christian, Yeah, what do you want to do with Vander?
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: Yep, go over that. Thenander is fourteen with big dreams.
Speaker 2: I want to own my own robotics engineering company.
Speaker 1: I want a great way. Signed off yesterday's call.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time, Christian, Thank you, Evander.
Speaker 1: All right, So what about you at fourteen? What was your dream? Nine four one one four three, Good morning, don Allen, Christian. When I was ten, actually decided that I want to be a carpenter. When I was fourteen, I started my apprenticeship, qualified in nineteen seventy, started my own business in nineteen seventy four. Retired last year. Listen to you guys every morning, I reckon I be around three hundred plus homes. Loved every single minute of it, don Ana, What a lovely thing to say.
Speaker 3: He would have been about eighteen when he started his own business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing, incredible, isn't it.
Speaker 1: What a lovely thing to say about what your life became, what your work was that he loved every single minute of it. Don Thank you very much your email. Let's go to Andrew now Andrew, Yeah, good morning guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dream at fourteen was to become a professional Formula one driver overseas.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So, like Lewis Hamilton, you want to be that level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I ended up self funding a go kart when I was seventeen and so I took a part time job.
Speaker 1: A super much it's a leth or. My mate wanted to be a four whelaw one driver as well. He was a crazy Irish kidney. He had his go krt and his mum and dad were ferrying him around every weekend those races. So Hamilton's where they all start, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean obviously Matt Hamilton, Mark Webber who was sort of my year, he took the dream and went overseas. But yeah, they all start and go cut Christians. So yes, I made a start. But it's a competitive industry as you probably know. And you know a lot of guys want to get to the top and a lot of guys angels want to get to the top. But civil engineer these days, star design roads. I don't race on them these days. So there you go.
Speaker 1: But you should enjoy for me to one of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great sports not to see. You know, Mark Webber did really well, Ricardo is going well. I mean, Halberton is a star, and yeah it's a great sport I mean and Neil said here next month, and yeah, you know that's it's a really good it's an upside down aeroplane, but yeah, basically, but yeah, they're really good.
Speaker 1: It does appear to me. To me, it's not been stretching to rocket, you know. And then they're made to drive in it for like five hours. Andrew, thank you very much. You called take care, have a good day.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tom Christian.
Speaker 1: Your prize to that true that I like that you started something. And let's go to Darren. Darren, good morning.
Speaker 6: You get a Christian. When I was Forday, my mother brought me the Guinness Book of Records and I said, mom, one day, one day, I'm going to I'm going to break one of these records. And it took me twenty thirty odd years, but I ended up for the community radio station. They wanted someone to do something weird and wacky, and I said, here, I attempting the world record in Queen's Birthday weekend in two tharsand I did sixty two hours straight with just fhippling him in the breaks, every.
Speaker 1: Gad what so down. So yeah, when you when you were fourteen, then yeah you got you fell in love with like we all did it tenas is the amazing big book, the Guinness Book of Records.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, top shelf.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, sixty two hours. What was that like to do a community radio show for that long?
Speaker 6: It wasn't too bad. I had to the other percent of staying on the other side of their I was still on the other side of the this so I didn't steal their shows. And my mother actually ran me and the sipping on the on the Sunday afternoon, said what the hell are you doing? And I said, it's all your faults. You gave me the book.
Speaker 1: And what was the name of the commission station? Yeah, Adam, what was the name of community station that he did you?
Speaker 6: It was up in Sunbury on three and three m I g.
Speaker 1: I think that's the one Patsy's worked about all of them. By the way, I had to make that FM dream come true. That my.
Speaker 3: Dar, if we got a kid, if we got a copy of the Guinness World Records, now would we see your name in there?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, Look it was broken within a years someone and I think someone who was but but I had planned to do forty but the Guinness people read me. We've got contacted me your week before the elector, the the attempt, and said some black from Demark's done forty eight. It was most.
Speaker 1: Ask the've actually got a wind of it somewhere went up to here in Sunbury. Well sorry about that, Darren, but thank you for how much she called me.
Speaker 6: Thank you, cheers, thank you damn it.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time. Christian.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast