Speaker 1: In most true crime stories, the crime is a house of forest, the woods, the highway, shoulder. This one was a stage with costumes, choreography, microphones, and lawyers waiting in the wings. I love it already in August twenty twenty two. In August twenty twenty two, a small church in McAllen, Texas, staged a musical. By the end of the week, it had triggered copyright law, cultural war outrage, international headlines, and illegal reckoning that would end with apologies, damages, and the digital equivalent of evidence destruction. Online. People gave it a name that sounded like a joke, Scammelton. What followed was less a prank than a case study in how performance can become a crime. This you Love is a story of Scamblington, Alexander Scramblton.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, when I when you say they're waiting in the wings, we are waiting in the wings. For that's from Hamilton. I didn't a story. Oh my god, habled the names episode. Guys, we're gonna pass out.
Speaker 1: Do you know about this story? If you don't know about the story, great, Oh my god. So to understand the scale of what happened, I.
Speaker 2: Must say sorry. If someone has come across this episode and they've not listened to our podcast before, I sound like a crazy person.
Speaker 3: Let me.
Speaker 1: My name is Georgia Love and your sorry.
Speaker 2: And I sound like crazy person, even if you have heard every episode. If you know me personally, my whole life, thank you. I am obsessed with Hamilton, my favorite show of all TIMEE musical theater is my favorite thing of all time, and Hamilton is my favorite travel time. I'm real damn excited.
Speaker 1: So when did you find Hamilton? Let's talk about this real quick before get into the story today. So it was the first time you actually saw it?
Speaker 2: The first time I saw it was the original Broadway cast filmed version on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Yes, on the fourth.
Speaker 2: Of July twenty twenty. Now that sounds like I'm real crazy, but I remember it because they released it on that It was meant it was filmed in twenty sixteen, oh that long ago. Yes, And it was for Disney and they were going to release later. It was going to be a subscriber and anything. No, no, no, no. In fact, it was frozen. He was frozen, Yes, Walt. Disney was Frozen Musical twenty sixteen. Yes, Walt Disney was in the musical Frozen, so he wasn't available to be in Hamilton that okay, yes, But they filmed it way back then, and it was going to be released as a subscriber thing or in cinemas. But when the whole world was in lockdown, Lynn Manuel Miranda the king that he is and my future husband said release it to the masses. And it came out on the fourth of July because it's the American holiday. That's why I remember the date. Actually that crazy, but I watched it for the first time then I went, I really like this. The music's really good. Got into it. It was very fast. I don't know how I understood all of it. So when I got home that night, I mean, I was definitely home because we're in lockdown. I definitely wasn't at my sister's house that I was a to be.
Speaker 1: It's another crime, okay, Boomer.
Speaker 2: I read all about it, like, got into bed, and I was like, right, I'm gonna deep dive. I wasn't quite sure what this song was about. So I'll read about the song and I'm like, oh, okay, yes, now I've got more contacts. Oh okay, And then I watched it again the next day, and by the end of it, my jewel was on the floor and I was bawling, and I was like, that is the best piece of artip I ever seen live. And now I've watched it on Disney plast minimum seventy times since then, and I've seen it live on stage.
Speaker 1: Ten ten times.
Speaker 2: Why, once on the West End and once on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Baby, Oh my goodness, ready for this.
Speaker 2: I'm so ready to send anybody you think.
Speaker 1: To understand the scale of what happened, you need to understand the target. The Broadway musical Hamilton was and remains one of the most protected pieces of theater in the world, and for good reasons.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna be so annoying this episode.
Speaker 1: I it's created simple control performance rights and have not released licenses for amateur productions at all. No, that happens with a lot of musicals. Yes, but it's not. That's not uncommon for me.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, definitely not.
Speaker 1: That meant schools couldn't perform at community theater, couldn't perform it, even professional companies couldn't perform it without authorization. Now I understand that, and I think that is absolutely spot on because if you saw a production of Hamilton that was shy. Because I was watching Hamilton. I went the night after it dictated Dan in this goddamn country Dan Andrews, Oh my god, I know. I love bloody love Dan Andrews. Dan Andrews went to Hamilton and got COVID and then I went the night after and I was like, oh no, everyone's gonna get COVID or anything. Oh my god. My friend Adrian I went along and we just couldn't believe it. We were just like, this.
Speaker 2: Is incredibly heard it or anything.
Speaker 1: Never. I'd never heard of anything before. The only thing I'd seen is Jonathan Groff. A friend kept sending me The King, going you would you would love the his character, and I was like, I do love this.
Speaker 2: Character, but it's also so much better when you have the context of the whole musical is R and B and rap and oh and then an English character comes out seeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Ade and I were obsessed with one misstep and the whole thing would be over like it was.
Speaker 2: I thought, you're saying you're obsessed with a misstep that happened.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Dan Andrews falling down with COVID yes, the misstep down the stairs, down the stairs. We don't talk about this for our overseas listeners, but anyway, but what I was really interested in was it was so quick and imagine seeing a production that wasn't my mum once hit a production of what was Romeo and Juliet at Osha Titter Company off Shortitter Company is a very very very very very amateur got him in on Philip Island and there was once a It had to be in an Italian accent, and they got the most astrayed woman to go my balla bambino Mum will come and talk about on the pop one up. Okay, So every word, lyric, costume and choreography was protected intellectual property and again.
Speaker 2: Which it is for reason, Yeah, which it is for every professional show until and unless they release the rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And I think that Helpless is one of those songs you would hear on the radio.
Speaker 2: It is well so yeah yeah, and it's written that way.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. When a small evangelical church, The Door Christian Fellowship in McAllen, Texas, announced a live production in August twenty twenty two, theater fans noticed immediately they weren't supposed to be able to do that, but the show went on anyway. Opening night August five, twenty twenty two, the church staged its own version of the musical and live streamed it to a little known site called YouTube dot com with.
Speaker 2: Their Lives Dream.
Speaker 1: At first, viewers thought it was a parody and if you watch it, yes, and I will put in these show notes. Will put a best of version in there, because there's little clips of it, and it is I've watched it like ten times. Have you seen it? Yes, it is so your cat traits fuck, but it is so funny.
Speaker 2: I don't want to desecrate the actual show by putting the whole thing, but it's very funny.
Speaker 1: You do not watch the whole thing, will, I'll put the best of clips in there. The story had changed, songs were rewritten.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it's my Catholic church, so they didn't want it like the are bits are about like an affair?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've got there's so many themes in there that they can't talk about. Characters were altered, scenes were removed entirely. A new dialogue appeared, religious sermons inserted directly into the plot. In one moment, a pastor told the protagonist to accept Jesus into your heart right.
Speaker 2: Now, to Hamilton, to Alexander Hamilton.
Speaker 1: The finale didn't end with applause. It ended with preaching. The sermon reportedly compared homosexuality to addiction and personal struggle.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: Within hours, clip spread across TikTok. There's a song called wait for It.
Speaker 2: Wait for It, Wait for It. I am the one thing and life I can't control. I am an animal, I am an original. I stumbled over the word that I have tattooed on myself, but.
Speaker 1: It's the cause of that song. And that is one of the best songs in there.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it is one of the best songs I ever written in the world. And even lin Maneuel Morada, who wrote it, said that. He said afterwards he was like, I wrote the two best songs I've ever written in my life. I gave to another character wait for It and rum where it happens Aaron Burr, who he didn't play well.
Speaker 1: Where the line from berg god damn it, I'm willing to wait for it was changed to gosh darn it, I'm willing to wait for it.
Speaker 2: Gosh done it. I'm willing to wait for it.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. The play is just Hamilton really until the forty two minute mark when Jesus comes in. Jesus is in it, not Jesus in it, but they talk about Jesus quite a lot. There were also hand fisted moments where they added g I.
Speaker 2: Don't think they would have been talking about it.
Speaker 1: With suggestions that Hamilton should just turn to Jesus when he flatten. Their refuses at the end where he turns to him. If you know the musical, there's also always an applause break after the words immigrants, they get.
Speaker 2: The job done, We get the job done.
Speaker 1: But in the church that night there was just silence.
Speaker 2: So they paused. Yeah because Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yuck. It's not only Texas, but I mean in that particular church, yeah, there was not. There was not an applause break. There are also audio problem throughout, plus lighting mishaps, people standing in the darkness singing awkwardly moving into the light to get themselves caught on in the light.
Speaker 2: That literally sounds like me just performing by myself in my apartment on a Saturday night with one lamp on.
Speaker 1: Or they just wait until the light finds them, so just keep singing. In the musical, there's also a song called Hurricane, which is about Alexander Hamilton realizing that only he will be able to get himself out of the situation, which is completely taken out because obviously God could help him with that. No worries.
Speaker 2: Well, God's the one that put the hurricane there if you believe in him, So answer that that guy of the hurricane. There is silence for just a moment yellow.
Speaker 1: Sky in the song say no to This.
Speaker 2: And People, which is a very sexy that's.
Speaker 1: About the affair Alexander Hamilton is going to have his affair, which is I believe very much. Tim Mentioned does this in a lot of his songs as well. He sings about not having an affair and so no, but Hamilton does have anything, Well he does, yeah, but I say no to this is there is a song how can I say this?
Speaker 2: Because Bardy looks so her body looks so helpless, But Mamanda is saying hell yes, oh.
Speaker 1: And it's very sexy to see Lynn Manuel Miranda having an affair. Very sexy stuff.
Speaker 2: Excuse me you say that? No that I will have an affair with him one day and he will run off with.
Speaker 1: Me, Alexander Hamilton is going to have his affair. The song is cut down to thirty seconds, and there is a booing yell of no, which is really loud, which is obviously just saying no to the affair. So no comes really loudly.
Speaker 2: Well, there isn't like there are nos in it, but it's not meant to be like a much big I wondered, I was gonna say, what words did they put in in place of She led me to her bed, let her legs spread and said stay. A lot of the time they just would have cut it out thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: It's only thirty seconds. Eventually, Hamilton's son gets into a duel. Yes, Philip, his son gets shot. The lyrics are changed to him finding.
Speaker 2: God, but he dies.
Speaker 1: That's story ones like Jesus.
Speaker 2: So it's not sad that he died because he went to heaven? Is that what you're trying to say.
Speaker 1: Us instead of Alexander Hamilton. In the end, reflecting on his legacy, he talks about finding Jesus. Then he dies and his wife sings about Aha, like how sad that she is that he died, but she's going to continue his legacy in history Alexander Hamilton's wife created the first real orphanage as private private Yeah in the United States, but in this version they decided to add that she introduced tons of the children to Jesus.
Speaker 2: Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Then the pastor comes out and delivers a fifteen minute sermon after saying he will only speak for five minutes. The Internet gave this show a nickname scamming the viral crime scene this is my next. The crime didn't unfold quietly, It unfolded publicly. Video spread faster than the church could control them. The singing, staging, and script changes were mocked online, but the real outrage wasn't quality. It was a legal issue. The production used the script without permission, altered the script, streamed the performance publicly, and claimed authorization it didn't have.
Speaker 2: Because this is the thing, right, I feel like, had the church just it for there?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, church didn't go online and nothing happened with it was advertised. Yeah, yeah, that's what I like.
Speaker 2: You know, if they'd done that, he great point. One would have known they did that. That's not really breaking IP laws in particular.
Speaker 1: Because we heard someone fade out in real time. That was quite nice. The way you did that all of those violated copyright law. Fans began tapping. Sorry, so tagging the crater.
Speaker 2: Like tapping number that happened. Happened, that's forty second street.
Speaker 1: Our fans began tagging the crater off Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Sorry, now I'm just picturing a bunch of Hamilton fans like protesting on the street outside this church.
Speaker 1: They're all homosexuals. Of course, within the days the production team knew, then came decease and desist. The response came quickly. Lewis the musical issued a cease and desist order demanding the church remove all material from the internet.
Speaker 2: I really hope they started the decease and cease and desist letter with the words, dear sir, I hope this letter finds you in good health and in a prosperous enough, prosperous enough position to put wealth into pockets of people like meat down and I look.
Speaker 1: Can I say the lawyers did not do that, but that would have been fun. What is really weird is that after the first performance, the pastor actually went to the congregation and so that the owners didn't like that it was released on YouTube, but that the owners approved of them continuing the play, so would all be going ahead soon?
Speaker 2: Who said that the pastor, So he got to cease and desist and took that back to the church and said, they're fine.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious to keep going fine. He said he wanted to give a big thank you to the producers of Hamilton for supporting what they do.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, So he's got a letter from the producers of Hamilton on Broadway and just assumed it was to congratulate them for supporting them.
Speaker 1: Lying.
Speaker 2: Lying is against the God's will.
Speaker 1: Yes, but if you actually are.
Speaker 2: No hei Mary's oh, I thought, if you're doing it for the answer.
Speaker 1: This was also a video which went viral on TikTok. So the church was ensued for damages. This is insane. A second performance at this stage was already scheduled. In a very unusual move, and I do find this bizarre, the right holders allowed the final showing to proceed under strict conditions, no streaming, no publication, damages to be negotiated.
Speaker 2: I suppose. I mean the reason I went is going to say is that potentially a little bit not entrapmany, but a little bit dodgy. So then they could say, well, there were two performances, so now we want more, but I would like to think not. And maybe they were like, look, people have bought tickets in this tiny, little town church, but like, we're still suing you for the first time. But you can do it this one time and then shut it down.
Speaker 1: You've got to watch these clips below. You got to watch these clips. I was obsessed with it. I just kept watching it.
Speaker 2: I was just watching it.
Speaker 1: The conditions were meant to contain the situation. They failed. Clips leaked online. The internet had already archived the evidence.
Speaker 2: Because also people would have gone to that second performance. Now it's insta famous. Yeah, wanted to do like, wanted to go and film it.
Speaker 1: And this was, you know, obviously the first time that this church had done something like this, or was it oh died. They also wrote in their Easter play a song which was just a rewrite of the opening song to Hamilton, but the words were change from my name is Alexander Hamilton too. His name was Jesus Christ of Nazareth. His name was Jesus Christ of Narazareth. I've got a million souls I've got to save. Just you wait, just you wait, come on, sing it for me, Go on, sing it. His name was Jesus Christ of Nazareth. His name was Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I've got a million souls. I've got to say save. But just you, wid just you. They also did in the Beast, in which the entire play was based around ball, showing to the beast that he had had he just had to find Jesus in his life, and he would turn back to a real human genuine question.
Speaker 2: Is there anything in the Bible about beast reality?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that show's fine. Okay.
Speaker 1: There's one of the funniest routines I've ever seen is Whoopie Goldberg's old stand up where she goes, you know, if you lay with a sheep, you should be put to death, and so shell the sheep, and she goes, what the fuck did the sheep do? Jesus Christ exactly, So, Jesus, I know there's good in the beast. Help me see the good in him, just as you see the good in me. Balon the Beast also both bond that they both read the Bible. So when they go the library for the I read that when the Beast finds God, he says, I thought this was all a fairytale. Jesus, I understand it now. You also sacrificed your life. You were able to look past my sin and sacrifice your life for even a beast like me. I will say that.
Speaker 2: He's not a beast. He was a brince that was turned into looking.
Speaker 1: But if you found his behavior, he'd be fine.
Speaker 2: I think that this true. A long Bow has missed the point of the factual non fiction story Beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 1: Well, they also did toy story, but it's absolutely.
Speaker 2: I need to know more about that.
Speaker 1: I think that the toys found Jesus and they'll turn into real people. I think that's what it's about, which is not in toy story.
Speaker 2: I saw a headline the other day and I didn't read any further into it, but it said a new Toy Story movie is coming out. It's like years into the future and Woody has a receding hairline. That doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Sense toy, Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. You're probably also now wondering about the motive. Yes, I am, why risk it? The church believe religious exemptions might protect the off Us law allows houses of worship to perform certain religious works during services religious work, but Hamilton is not a religious work, and altering it makes a derivative work, which is still protected.
Speaker 2: I will say it is my religion. It is my religion. I pray to live around every now, pray that he will come and find me in my bedden, carry me.
Speaker 1: The production also marketed tickets and broadcasts online actions outside the exemption. In legal terms, this fucking mated. They hadn't just performed the show, they reproduced it and modified it publicly. With every religious event comes the confession. Once confronted, the church changed its stories.
Speaker 2: And Hamilton did confess to the affair in the end, Rah because he said, bo, how do I know that this won't I can't think of the exact words I am, but he's saying, how does I know this won't come out? The next time we go toe to toe and ursas Alexander, rumors only grow and if you don't know, you know I faded out.
Speaker 1: It was really nice again. Initially leaders suggested permission existed. Soon after they admitted the truth, they had never requested or received a license. They agreed to apologize publicly, never staged again, destroy recordings, and pay damages, but the payment account. Sorry, the payment amount was never disclosed. Also the payment account. The right holders donated the money, which I think is amazing to lgbt QIA plus charity in Texas, and I think that is just beautiful.
Speaker 2: And of course they would have because they weren't suing them for the money. It was to make a point that you can't take someone's IP and reproduce.
Speaker 1: And wedging in a sermon that they didn't. You know, it's just wild. The aftermath, the church's reputation collapsed overnight. Online the event became folklore, part legal cautionary tail, part internet spectacle. Theater professionals pointed out the deeper implication. If the production had gone unchallenged, it would have been it would have established a precedent anyone could rewrite a protected work and distributed under a religious banner. Instead, the case reinforced a clear legal line. Art cannot be repurposed without permission, even by institutions claiming moral authority. There was no weapon, nobody, no bloodstain in this crime g love, but there was evidence, recordings, altered scripts, public statements and admissions. The stage lights dimmed, the costumes were packed away. Now I feel sad and the files were deleted all supposed to be. Yeah, like most modern crimes, the real crime scene was digital. And once the Internet witnesses, and once the internet witness is something, it never truly closes. The show ended, but the record didn't. I will put a link in the show notes below to some of the best of clips, So you didn't need to watch the whole thing, and you never have to watch the whole thing, But that G Love is a very brief overview of Scamblton.
Speaker 2: And now, as a special treat I will perform the entire three Hound musical for you, from top to bottom.
Speaker 1: Can I say that one of the first times that G Love and I hung out, It wasn't one of the first times Bills one of the first times I saw you perform What was it? I think you did define gravity?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hang on that. I thought we were going to talk Aboutmilton.
Speaker 1: No, and you did the whole thing and ordered people around for upcoming props. So you were shouting in a kitchen and wait, wait, you're doing a lot of that. Wait wait, wait, wait.
Speaker 2: It's not yet. You should have known when the broom was coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should have known that it was a beautiful moment now, Okay, So Alexander Hamilton in the famous production Hamilton the Musical American Musical. So they bring this to Texas, they think it's all going to be fine. There must be so many instances of this that exist in the world, because I think a lot of the time a religious exemption is what people think they can actually get away with, you know, taxes. There's bits and pieces of something where it's like, well, if it's for religion, we should be fine. If we're not making money, if we're you know, like they.
Speaker 2: Are making money from this, whether they say they.
Speaker 1: Are exactly exactly, and it's the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing about it is that they've put it on the internet, so they've made it viewable for other people, which means they're reproducing it.
Speaker 1: Well make internet or if lots of other people he said it was live streamed. Oh so so I mean all of the other recordings as well were.
Speaker 2: No, but a live streaming yes, yeah, means put on the Internet, which means it can lead to making money from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which is wild as well that you know, that was a part of it that if they did this a long time ago, wouldn't have even been an issue. They're just hoping that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Every exactly, if it wasn't live streamed, it.
Speaker 1: Was just for the church that it never got to them.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's just so funny, Like, you know, do a shep production of it if you want. Don't live stream I mean, like, don't that's literally, but I'm saying, I don't care so much if you do that, but don't change it to make it about the church when it's not about that, and then.
Speaker 1: Put on the internet if I yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I'm glad they did because it means me.
Speaker 1: If that was me as the pastor, I would go, oh my god, I can't believe I got this letter. What did they think we do? They like it? Don't say anyone was a standout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pastor clearly was worrying about We're wondering about that because I pretend they didn't say don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I will give you Greece. I will always give you Greece. I think you want to put on Greece if you don't put on grease in your town, whatever, go for it.
Speaker 2: One of the best lives I've ever.
Speaker 1: Said about Greece.
Speaker 2: Let me finish. I want you to wait for it.
Speaker 1: Wait for It.
Speaker 2: One of the best live musicals I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Don't Say Greece was a performance.
Speaker 2: Of Greece I Don't think so at a high school in a low associore economic suburb of Melbourne. I was invited along to see it. It was the most beautiful thing. This school was putting on a production of Greece. And they the money they were raising from, like the ticket sales, they were going to donate to pan Care, which is the foundation in Australia of which I'm the ambassador for which I'm the ambassador. And they invited me along to see the production and then present me with the check for Pancare afterwards. A beautiful, beautiful thing to do. Was No, I spent it all on myself. I got macas on my home.
Speaker 4: Hey, I will get every film now now.
Speaker 2: It was one of those big novelty checks to do you take check surname care. It was genuinely one of the most enjoyable experiences ever pard at the theater because it was all of the cliches of like a really bad high school musical, but they were loving. They were I was loving being on stage. The second that the curtain went down, you could hear them whooping and cheering and like high fiving. It was genuinely the most like one of the most enjoyed live theater experiences I've ever seen. It was amazing. The girl playing pat Patsy, Oh my god, I'm blanking the cheerleader. Oh my god. Fuck, it's not Patsy. But oh no, it's going to annoy me. Okay, they will message me straight away. The girl playing the head cheerleader, Patty sim Cox. Oh, thank god. That feels so good when you remember something like that. Anyway, the girl playing Cox, who was the head's cheerleader, that is their entire role in the show, was in a moon boot the Freddie My Love scene where they're like dancing on the bed. The bed broke and the girl playing Marty fell through it, but just kept seeing. They kept performing.
Speaker 1: That's actually became amazing.
Speaker 2: The clear thing that happens in every high school musical is where there is one person and the if the performances of Greece, it's always the guy playing Kiniki, who looks at least twenty five years old. Amazing. I loved it so much. Was I was just so happy the one they did in Australia, like it was like fifteen years ago or something was great, right. The game that was here recently was not a great.
Speaker 1: Well. This was the one where Marcia Heinz. Yeah, and she came out on stage and I don't think she knew that she was part of Greece.
Speaker 2: She just thought she was doing just singing beauty school dropout on stage every night.
Speaker 1: Because she came out for the one song and just kept going sing along if you know the words. She really broke the fourth wall.
Speaker 2: And really did it as marsha.
Speaker 1: He it was just marcha h is great, but it was just it was just very funny to watch that guy I know about this musical no more very funny. Yeah, but anyway, Scramblton. So I've been interested in this and we had a beautiful listener amii is amily. I think Emily, please at me if I didn't pronounce your name right, but actually messaged me about this because I didn't know about this, send it to me, which sent me on a spiral of not researching, just watch straight away. I watched all of that and I couldn't stop watching it.
Speaker 2: I know we call these episodes Thursday treats because it is a treat for the listener that they get something different. This has been a treat I thought it would be. You are a very good friend to me because you knew I would have been just disgustingly annoying during that episode.
Speaker 1: No, but it did for me. It would be a fun episode because when I heard the name Scambillton, I was like, I can't not do that. I thought it'd be a really good one to do. And we always love suggestions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, Yeah, we do love suggestions. And I would like your suggestions of some Thursday treats you want me to do, because Sammy is really good at doing the treats and because of that, I've, you know, just without discussions, sat back and put my feet up and let him do all the treats. But if there's any of that you guys think I would would be good ones for me to tell Sammy, like Fist.
Speaker 1: To remember that was one of my favorite episodes, Fist Operation Fist, just really fun ones. We love doing Thursday treats as well because it is so fun and when we don't have guests on, it is just so fun to just sit back and do something short episode, and usually at some sort of scandal, some sort of crime. I love that because of this, the LGTP LGBTQI plus cool. No, the lgbt qia A plus our community got some money out of this. I think that's great because you know, they were so they're kind of discarded in this production, and I just think it's so great that and also because it's a Broadway musical, you know, which is eighty nine point nine maybe ninety nine point nine percent the homosexual community, the queer community, so I think me, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Jonathan Groff, he's part of the queer community, I must say, unfortunately for me, because he would be my number one husband choice. Mister Carl, who's mister Carl? And I forgot you forgot.
Speaker 1: Call him Andrew Carl and I felt really weird calling him Andrew.
Speaker 2: I felt weirder you call him, call him doctor Carl. And Carl is engaged to my friend to marry him.
Speaker 1: This has not been about you marrying someone.
Speaker 2: I've just said to let me talk about who I'm going to marry. I thought you were saying.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't for you. I weren't offering these people up for you. I was just saying that aren't that many street straight people. So I'm glad this week to theater in theater.
Speaker 2: Have they meant to go to go to No, I'm not in theater. I just included myself.
Speaker 1: No, I've never seen any of this. You've just made up this whole thing in your head. Sweet girl, good only girl friend. You've done such a wonderful job.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite line from Hamilton, Sammy? I?
Speaker 1: I like the immigrants line a lot, and that is just such a powerful That is such a powerful line.
Speaker 2: And you know a little tippit about that is they never So there's just a bar. There's four notes after that because it gets such big applause and cheers every night. When it was first written, there was no because they go immigrants, we get the job done and then the music goes just for four beats. That was never in there, but they had to put that in because every night there were so many cheers that you couldn't hear the next line.
Speaker 1: We love in this production that they didn't get us. So there was just the bar. What's your favorite line in there of all time? And I also love I love the entire You'll be back so and I think, fight the Fighter, Win the War. I there is no one comparable ever to Jonathan Crawford. And so when I watched that, I ended up watching the Disney Plus version because I was like, after I saw the Australian version and I saw the lips of Jonathan Craft, and I was like, I want to just watch this version because the king in that was like, it's it's on another level.
Speaker 2: He's on stage four and I can't remember the exact amount of time, but it's something like six and a half minutes or I think he's singing for six and half stage for nine minutes of a three hour show, and he steals the show.
Speaker 1: It's the equivalent for me of Steve Martin as the dentist in the film version of Forest Like it is such a powerful moment where you go, oh, there's no one else I could have ever imagine doing this, And so when you watch that version, you go, that is absolutely incredible, and yeah, fight the fight and win the war. You'll be back like before. Yeah. I just think that.
Speaker 2: I think the bestline from that song is and when push comes to shove, I will do remind you of my love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah. So what's your favorite line in the production.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite line will be excuse me, miss, I know it's not funny, but your perfume smells like your dad. He's got money. That's really funny. But I think the most clever line that I think is so overlooked and people don't realize how clever it is because again it's like there are so many words in it just kind of gets overlooked. But he says. Burr says to Hamilton at one point that did you hear that someone called Mercer had died? And then he says, Madison and Jefferson are merciless, hate the city of merciless merciless mercerless because Mercer died. Fuck, that's clever. Miranda's mind is brilliant. And there are so many little lines in like in it like that that are a play on words or really clever little ode or nod to something that people don't pick up. It just sounds like a line. They're like, oh, Madison and Jefferson mercier less.
Speaker 1: Watch Hairspray, you hate his bro I actually quite like the film.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the film is the only.
Speaker 1: Like the production, but I love I think the film is so brilliant for.
Speaker 2: Walking Chicago, Yes, and Wicked. The films are better than the shows, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Edna, You're timeless to me. Hairlines get shorter, whatever me cheese, Babe, you're.
Speaker 4: Just getting better with a you lack a fatal disease.
Speaker 1: Babe, there's no cue, so let this fever rade. It's so good, Like it's brilliant that that film version is.
Speaker 2: I know, Oh my god, I've just forgotten all about Lin Manuel and Jonathan Groff because I just remembered Zach Efron in Hairspray. That is when he was just peak beautiful. It's so beautiful him as lean And and James Marsden as Corny Collins in the one movie. Holy shit, I'm surprised I didn't get pregnant wanting that movie. Can I says, choose myself?
Speaker 1: Can I say James Marsden as well? So our good friend Taylor messaged me recently and said to me. She said to me, I should be so lucky.
Speaker 2: She said to me, she maybe once a day will send me a screenshot or show me on her phone a conversation you guys have had on Instagram. She's like, he's just so funny.
Speaker 1: The funniest like me the other day and the name of it was throat Girl eighty seven or something, and I just said to her, they used to call me throat girl ladies seven.
Speaker 2: I know she showed me that today. She literally showed me that.
Speaker 1: So funny. I'm just texting in her like a corporate office lad but high school to call tha anyway, So oh ship I was talking about just then link As Taylor said, have you seen The Jury Jury Duty, ju Judy, which is one of the funniest shows you will ever see. There's a second series coming out soon, Yes, but it's trailer no, and it's going to be amazing. It's like a holiday camp or something, and it looks amazing. It's going to be fantastic. But basically, if you don't know, and it's so worth watching vaguely related to crime because the jury, but god, it is funny, and I tell anyone that hasn't watched it yet to watch it because the guy in it comes out as the most beautiful person ever. Because basically, I'm going to sorry, basically.
Speaker 2: I've had a good night. We're talking about how much I've you'll let me sing. You've got to sew back, But I don't care about that right now, because I'm talking.
Speaker 1: About Okay, my neck, my pussy, and my crack are fine. But all I want to say was that Jury Duty it's about basically what they do. It's a hidden camera show, like an old hidden camera show, but it's so updated with modern times because the only person that thinks it's real is the main character that they've got from a casting agency. There's somehow made him, I don't know what the technicalities are, there's somehow made him feel No, it's not.
Speaker 2: A casting agency, so what it was?
Speaker 1: He knows that he's being filmed.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he has got like, got to, you know, call up for jury duty, as people do. So his thought, yes, and it's fake, but he believes he's going for jury duty. And the morning of selection they have said they're filming a documentary about jud jury. Yes, so if you get picked for this jury, would you consent to be part of the documentary? Consented to that? But every single other person that appears on camera for this whole show is an actor and knows that it's all fake, and he's the only one being pranked, and it is just fucking brilliant and we talk often on this podcast about how pranks are not funny at all.
Speaker 1: This it's phenomenal. So it's so good, and the behind the scenes of it when they actually reveal everything at the end, it is so brilliant to watch all that as well. But Taylor sent me that, and James Marsden is in that. He is one of the funniest actors you've ever seen, because he's in scenes that would make anyone laugh, like he has to keep a straight face, and because.
Speaker 2: He's playing himself because obviously he's a recognizable actor, so everyone else is like they're just playing people in the community. But he's playing James Marsden.
Speaker 1: He's playing James Marsden. And he is so brilliant because he buys into it like I'm a big star and everything. Even hires paparazzi to come to the courthouse to take photos of him, and it is so funny. But here's one of those people that I go, why aren't you the biggest star in the world, Like he is big, but he's not one of those people as the biggest star in the world. We go, even Marsden, he's so fucking good.
Speaker 2: Not even everyone recognizes his name, and that's the thing they make fun of in the show as well. The people all know his face and know the movies he's been in, but can't don't know his name. Since the Notebook, he's been my number one, like fate, sorry number two. Notebook God, Sammy. If you love James Marsden, now wait, do you see him in the Notebook? He so you haven't seen it, but I'm sure you know the storyline. The whole thing is two people fall in love when they're young. Her parents don't.
Speaker 1: Want them to rom and Juliet.
Speaker 2: Yes, her parents don't want them to be together. She moves away, they don't see each other again. She ends up getting engaged to this beautiful, very rich from a gorgeous family. Her family loves him, she loves them everything. Then she comes into contact with their first love again, James. James Marsden is the beautiful man who's just come back from war with all the money and beautiful family and the family loves and everything. My bringerscribe with the Notebook. I love it. It is one of the most beautiful love stories of all time. But I think it is false because I don't I don't know anyone that wouldn't choose James Marsden in that white army outfit. Holy fuck. Anyway, it's my take on the I don't like I'm not consciously horny today, but I'm sound.
Speaker 1: And also, you only mentioned being horny in the last episode recorded, so it's has come out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: It hasn't come out of nowhere. I've been talking about marrying Jonathan Groffin.
Speaker 1: That's true. I was winning the last weird Anyway, everybody, I thought you'd like Scammellton this week.
Speaker 2: I loved it. It's made me, honey.
Speaker 1: I don't forget to leave a five star rating, five star review. Share this podcast with a friend.
Speaker 2: You can follow us on Instagram and tiktog it Not Another Crime Podcast, and you can watch this episode and all of the episodes on YouTube. You can follow us there searching not Another Crime Podcast. You can email us at Sammy at just Another company dot com, dot are you, and you can leave us Did you say speak papery?
Speaker 1: Didn't you know?
Speaker 2: You didn't? I was concentrating on what I was going to say next. I was not listening to you. You could leave a voice note via the website called speak Pipe in our Instagram bio and the show notes of this very episode right here.
Speaker 1: By the time you're listening to this, there'll be a brand new Confessions episode by podcast out with Emily Tany and Christy will and Brown.
Speaker 2: Please, I god damn bloody musical theater.
Speaker 1: Star's absolutely incredible, and so is Emily Titany as well. We'll see your money.
Speaker 2: Why why you plug your thing? Let me plug my thing. By the time this episode comes out season eight of my other podcast, Everyone has an Ex, we'll also be out or we'll have started, so please listen to that as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, and one day I'll have lin Manuel Miranda on Everyone has an Ex talking about his ex, his beautiful current life Vanessa, who seems loved and unfortunately she's not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's married to VanNess.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hope that one day we get to be.
Speaker 2: And my mind is trying to go, but her hand is on mine and I don't say no, say no and say get this ride the surrender my early line. The world will never be the say early