Speaker 1: Daniel Flynn doesn't see the world the same way most people do. Sure, he's as sickened as anyone else by the amount of plastic water bottles we buy as consumers, But instead of bemoaning that fact or even trying to stop it from happening, he decided to leave Ridget for good. As the co founder of thank You, He's on a mission to make products that will end poverty, to direct our consumerist habits to a better cause, and his company's profits to people who really need help. But how does a company founded on ambitious, people centered ideas operate when everyone starts working from home? And how does Daniel make time to keep dreaming up these big ideas instead of getting stuck in the weeds of day to day operations. My name is doctor amanthe Imbat. I'm an organizational psychogist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium. And this is how I work, a show about how to help you do your best work. Thank You. Daniel's company was early on the remote work bandwagon. They became remote first back in twenty eighteen, much to Daniel's resistance.
Speaker 2: I was the office guy, Like it was all about the office the culture, the vibe in the office, and I met people that worked remote and I'd laugh, I think you've just missed it. So it was a big thing in twenty eighteen for me my other co founder, Justine, we're also married. And then a bunch of us were working on all about global expansion and future direction of the business. We went to a remote working setup and I thought this is going to be terrible, but it wasn't. We found ways to make it remarkable and actually, on reflection, it was like, this shoe fits the future of thank you and the future of work for us. And it was a journey to take the rest of the team on. Hey, let's get to a trial of sort of half half half in the office, half from home. And by the time we got everyone on board with that, our first week of trial for the part remote working ended up being the first week of lockdown for the pandemic in Melbourne, and so it was five days from home, you know, wow, from day one. Yeah, And we were weirdly prepared, at least at a leadership level. We were ready for something. Certainly no one knew what was coming, but it helped get the rest of the team on board.
Speaker 1: So given how important you think the office culture was or is, how have you fostered that same culture when everyone works from different locations?
Speaker 2: Okay, so for us working remote and fully flexible, there's an interesting piece of the puzzle that I think without it, the whole thing falls apart. So we haven't gone into this going how do we save money on rent? You know, all the office expenses, which which add up. I mean, even if you think it's just rent, which we did at one point, when you truly critically look at office expenses, it adds up. And then you add on top of it the time expense when you realize that everyone is investing. Some of us are investing ten hours a week just to turn up at that place. Right, So it's actually a huge investment to pull it off, and there's a huge cost. We haven't necessarily gone how do we save money? Absolutely time that time saving back into people this week is great. But one of the things we do in our model is every eight weeks we come together as a team. And so that means if you're inter state, you fly into Melbourne, where i'd say about sixty to seventy percent of our team still reside, and we're fly in and we have a team day, and on that team day, it is there are no kind of awkward team building exercises. We try and avoid them. We don't have like here's a bunch of content we're going to throw at you, because you can't just come and hang out for a day, can you, like, so we've actually gone all in on hanging out and so we come together. It is social. We see it as mission critical, so you know, it is it is kind of mandatory. I mean, you don't you know, if you can't make it, you can't make it. But we really encourage people to be at it as if it was the annual strategy day, and we do that so we'll have a kickoff for the year here as where we're heading super strategic deep into the detail of the work. But every other day the goal is that it's time to connect, and so we go all in on connection and so we have fun, We have lunches and you know, we we different activities. You know, sometimes I tell friends are like, what you're allowed, you can't do that, that's not what you're not working. It's like, no, we're not, we're not working. But we like I can't think of and different friendship groups maybe different, but I can't think of a group of friends where I spend ten you know, and it depends on the year, but between eight and ten full days just hanging out, I can't think of that. And that's what we have and it fosters deeper and greater relationships and that helps us when you are on Zoom or on teams and you know, you don't have that in depth connection that you do get in an office. So that's the other half of what we do and it really helps.
Speaker 1: So if I was a member of the Thank You Team and I attended one of these connection days, what are some of the things and activities that I could expect to experience?
Speaker 2: A great question. I mean they're all different. We try and keep them different from like you know, Oh okay, So our head of creative and marketing and Comms is based in New Zealand, and so in New Zealand, they don't have the Morning ten pinanential hot springs. I mean, they have a few art springs. But so this particular team day we're having, we were starting at one of the team's parents' house. We had a big breakfast there. They've got a beautiful view of the ocean. Then we headed down to the Hot Springs and we spent the day just relaxing there. And Ellie from New Zealand, she's like, so it's kind of like a bath, like a hot bar. We just all sit in it. And as I described, I'm like, gosh, it does sound a bit weird, but when you get to the Hot Springs, it's not that weird. And it was super relaxing. And then there was sort of an opt in dinner if anyone wanted to go to that night, and most people just hung around, like genuinely just wanted to connect further. That was, you know, one day, you know, other days we look for an activity to do together. You know, I don't think any of our team will be listening to this, but next week where some of our creative team are taking us all through kind of like a art paint session, a whole bunch of cool activities which will make all non creative people a little uncomfortable, but we will have a good few laughs and then and I think it's a pretty good lunch lined up. We genuinely are trying to create space for longer conversations. I think the office is good for the Hey, Hey, Hey, you good. I'm good. Yeah, I'm good. Are you good? Mama again, I'm okay. But what the office isn't necessarily grateful is those deeper, longer format conversations that come when you're walking together somewhere, you know, through the bush, or you're sitting by a beach, or you're you know, at a luncheon an informal setting. And so we are trying to create those and think about them, and we're testing and learning and taking feedback. And thankfully we haven't missed yet on any of our team days. But if we do have some missions, we'll refine and find better ways forward.
Speaker 1: Now I've heard that's something that you have changed over the years about how you work is being more protective of your time and perhaps getting better at saying no. And I'd love to know how have you got better at saying no?
Speaker 2: Wow? Look, I still find it hard. You know. There was a time where I would just say I was a yes man, yes to everyone and everything. And actually the deeper work I did with a counselor and psychologist, which is a big story in and of itself, but partly because I was the guy that was never going to do that because I'm not broken and I don't need that. But I'm so glad I did the work and went deep because actually in me, so it turns out, which was probably obvious to my friends around me, but one of the things I've struggled with is a fear of rejection, like people rejecting me. And as I understood that, it was like, wow, so it's not just that I say yes to everything's there's a deeper part of me that's trying to like, you know, not be rejected and be accepted by people. And oh man, so I actually had to do some pretty deep work on like but why do I say yes? And why do I struggle so much with saying no? And on realizing that, coupled with a mentor said to me, Daniel, every time you say yes to something, you are saying no to something, now, he goes. When you commit to that next talk or you commit to that next project, you know, do you pick up the phone to your wife and your bartner and say, hey, Justine, just want you to know I want to say no to spending time with you because I'm saying yes to this other thing because you don't do that, and I don't. I don't do that, and I never did that, but some of these realizations of well, that's actually the trade off here, when you are over committing, you are actually kind of forsaking some of the stuff that you would and I would say is the most important thing. So, in answer to your question, how to get better at saying no, it started with some pretty deep work and realizations and then a resolve that no is one of the most important words I can say, and I need to be careful when and how I say it, but it's one of the most valuable things to protecting myself, my family and the vision that we're ultimately fighting for. And one of the great challenges in business and entrepreneur organizations is you just tend to see opportunities and want to chase them all. But every great innovation and great breakthrough came from hyper focus, and that hyper focus is essentially the ability to say a lot of no's. And our history is marked with some pretty big launchers and some pretty cool successful things. But I look back and I'm like, yeah, but we said no to so many other things to chase that one. Yes, So I think it's a mindset, it's a culture, and then it's an accountability like you've got to build a team and mentors and kind of people around you who are willing to challenge you on your schedule and what it looks like.
Speaker 1: So for you personally, have you developed like heuristics or rules to help you make quicker decisions on what to say yes to? Is no too?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah? I have? And what are they? Well? So good, Look, I'll give you. I'll give you a few big ones, you know, And I think this is helpful because otherwise you end up on a case by case basis and it's so stressful. So we have different matrix for different things. So, for example, events and speaking at events, I do a lot of speaking, but it's probably one to every Look. I don't just want to say a big number to sound good. There's just a lot of inquiries. There's a lot of like could you be here? Could you be here? Could you be here? And so we've kind of worked out a matrix that's not perfect, but it helps us sort through what are the events we think we should be at and why. And I'd say that has ebbed and flowed based on our business and personal objectives over the years. And so that one's an interesting kind of moving target, but it exists, and then we have a team who look through it. And then ultimately, if it's kind of an on theline decision, I'll probably get to look at it and say yeah, actually let's go, or it's a no go on that one.
Speaker 1: What are some examples can I ask of what's in that matrix?
Speaker 2: So look, it depends on time. So how much time am I putting towards the external so speaking? And so there's been some seasons if I look back at twenty eighteen and nineteen, where it was basically, no, I'm pulling back. We have a lot of work to do internally. Once we get that right and we're comfortable, then we can go external again. So there was a season where the only talks that would come through would be something that's like a world forum or an industry forum. I think in twenty nineteen there were four talks that got through the gate, which in prior, if I went back to seventeen and sixteen, I was doing one hundred and fifty talks, and that was yeah, we were launching that, we were launch books, and the book thing was going crazy, and I was saying yes to so much and actually they were the years that kind of okay, we're goin, We're got to rain this in a bit, because yes, you can do it, you can do anything. You can do anything, you just can't do everything. And so yes, we were getting some big wins externally, but then some of the internal work, which is part of what I bring to the table, was it wasn't going as well as it should have could have been, and you know, and so then we dialed that back. I think twenty nineteen those four talks is an interesting one and maybe someone in our teams, like you did six, so it's somewhere there. But there was only a couple of big ones. But each of them work global forums. They were really unique opportunities almost arguably once in a lifetime. One of them is like twenty thousand people in the room in Germany from one hundred and sixty countries, and you know, it's hard to have a matrix that doesn't say yes. So that one, particularly when you're thinking, we are thinking about global expansion and so that was, you know, really critical for that. So look, that's some of how how I do that. I think on a week to week level, there's some really interesting kind of rules in place that and you know, very strong guidelines that have helped. And one of those is every week I have a Blue Sky Day. And that's just a name. I kind of threw on having it one full day that's blocked out, so there are no meetings. I don't check emails or slack, I don't get I don't answer calls unless it's from a particular team member and I know, like, okay, we've really got a problem. I have to answer that call. But that's actually about trying to create space to work on thank you, and not just in it. You know some I mean, this is this is for me if you want to know practically what it looks like. I was inspired by a guy who he ran thirty companies, and I was like, what the thirty company? I can't barely do one? Like what are you talking about? And I was trying to dig into, like how do you do it? And he has a day a week completely free, and for him, I'm like, what do you do? He's like, well, I get on my jet ski and I go out to this island. I was like, okay, okay, yeah, like we'd all do that if we had a jet ski and an island, we could go to. But he was saying that for him, unless he has time to for him, it was quite a personal day. Like it was quite he had meditation and prayer and he had time of like problem solving and ideation. And look, I thought it sounded a little spooky but kind of cool. I ended up climbing a mountain one day to the day off in my head it wasn't really work and I climb a mountain and it's like I felt like I unlocked a secret, a secret that the shoe fits for me. So I aim for a day a week now. In practice I think fortnightly it's it's a full day, and on the other week it can end up being about a half day. I try and get out. So Upper Mountain for me, outdoors works and I get out from the day to day grind. And for me, this is a space to dream. It's a space to write. Sometimes I like I write out my thoughts and like dear diary, I quit, you know, like I quit. I hate this. I just hate it. I can't right. So it's not it's not beautiful. It's a very raw. But then other days I'm like ah, and an idea will drop and in that moment, it's the idea is perfect, and then you come back to the real world and it's not perfect, or actually come back to the real world and with a bit of refinement, it is that next breakthrough step forward. Sometimes I write on those days and write content and you know, catch up with a mentor you know, either digitally or in person, and try and get out of the bubble of thank you just get a different perspective. And these days have become so valuable that when people are like, oh, I don't know, but you're very busy, how do you justify it? And now I'm like, well, yeah, it's hard to explain, but once you've put in a rhythm and a practice, it's easy to say, I don't think I could do what I do without it, because everyone wants to know, man, how do you cope with the challenges of BAU and dream and think about the future. It's like, well, I create time for it, and there's like a rule, you know, and that's when I switch my headspace and I find it really hard to do every week and the night before I literally cancel nearly. I'm like, I just know there's so much going on in the factory, in this and supply chain. But it's become a commitment and I have done seasons where I've skipped it. I'm like that stuff, it's stupid, it doesn't work. And I've seen myself as a leader kind of crumble. I think for me, this is the shoe fits and everyone needs to figure out what works for them. But there is nothing like creative creating space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so on these blue sky days, are there certain questions that you've found helpful to pose to yourself for certain processes that you go through, you know, aside from trying to get out in nature and be removed from digital distractions.
Speaker 2: So look, I one of the things I do pretty regularly is I pick up I have kind of this master timeline, which is the big rocks where are we heading? And I look at it and I review it, and I go, Okay, are we focusing on the right things? You know? Are we on track? And I'm not. This is not a super deep dive into the detail, but you know, it is helpful to zoom out because we're pretty ambitious. So we've got a lot of big projects. But then, like any ambitious project, you can you can almost die or get lost in the detail and so you know, four days a week I'm in the detail, and sometimes you don't know which way is up, and so I find that really helpful to zoom out. I also find a blank piece of paper very helpful. One of the activities I did it this week is I wrote a list between now and the end of the year for all the things I think are really important to be done. Now. I've already got less, I've got a sign a less, I've got lists on less. There are like, arguably, I don't need to do this, it's already there. But I find it personally, the blank piece of paper. It can be at times quite daunting, but it's also full of opportunity. And so by writing out that list, I sat back and I would have spent an hour and it. You know, if you look at the list, that took me an hour. No, it was the consideration, it was the wondering, it was the is that really important? And by the end of us really I really I thought, Wow, that's I get that done. That's really that's really really remarkable, And I think and then I compared it to the list of everything we're doing in the detail. Later I was like, yep, cool, I haven't missed anything, but I actually there's a whole bunch of stuff that I wonder is it really important? And can we push that further down the track? And I think in the early days I would never do this, And so the result of that was an organization and a team stressed out of their mind because everyone's trying to achieve so many different things and everything's a priority, and there wasn't enough work from me in prioritization of projects. But there was a lot of vision and a lot of here's where we're going, here's how exciting everything is, and naturally everyone wanted to do that, and so so yeah, look that that is something that I do, and then I encourage leaders and manages to do it too in their own projects that they're running the things that they're across, you know, And so that's you know, one of the practices.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Daniel soon talking about the mentors in his life and how he aims to get the most out of the sessions with those mentors. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot cod That's how I work dot co. I know that you're a big believer in the power of mentoring, and I believe you've got one one main mentor that you speak with pretty regularly. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Look, I do believe in mentoring. You know, it is it's like time travel. I mean it is like, you know, you sit down someone for lunch or coffee, they tell you one thing and you're like, oh, thank you, But that could have been a decade for them in learning or a lifetime and I think if we truly understand the weight of that, And actually that's the hardest thing. If you're being mentored or you're listening to someone, they'll say a flippant statement, there's a lifetime's revelation you because you haven't lived it could be like, oh, yeah, sounds interesting, And I think for me it's like trying to wade through my initial reaction to like, what's that person's lived experience. Why are they're saying that, you know, can that apply to me? So it's like time travel. I think it's I think it's it's it's incredible. So that's part one. Look over the years, I've had different mentoring relationships. There's definitely been one who's been you know, buying the scenes, very very constant, private and my favorite conversations that we've had over the year years is and he kind of makes a note of saying, Daniel, I'm not I'm not like, I'm not here for thank you, and I'm not here for what you achieves. This is about you and I just I believe in you. And and he's got incredible business background I'm really grateful for it provides technical support, but really a lot of it is that that emotional encouragement, the challenging different perspectives. I think if you interviewed him, he'd be like, oh no, I'm not sure why we catch up. I don't see what the you know, the value is because he's a very humble man. But even that humility, I've learned a lot from my dad as well. Whilst you know he doesn't run, you know what we do and it's it's it's less about you know, some of the technical side. I think I've really realized the value of the soft stuff and the encouragement and the challenging of that, and you know that's been valuable. And then you've got to balance it up with some technical advisors, to which have epped and flowed with the over the years.
Speaker 1: How do you prepare for a session with a mentor to get the most out of it?
Speaker 2: This? Look, this is a good question, and I will put my hand up to say that I am high on the spontaneous side, as I said earlier, and so I sometimes have this moment ten minutes in going Danielle, come on, you should have, like you should have forbat, a list of questions I have over the years built to an approach where I'll go in with a commitment to be transparent and to share where I'm really at and to share the stuff that's really weighing me down. That's hot, that sounds good. You know, Vulnerability is always an interesting thing because you know there can be an insecurity of like, oh gosh. But then if you always are letting someone in on the heavy stuff or your your worst stuff or the biggest challenges your time five catch ups, seem they're gonna think this is too much. I've got to get out and so so you know an answer. So then there's a there's a sense of or do I just put up a good front, but I wanted to get the most out. I'm wanting to be transparent about Hey, we've only got a few minutes. What's your perspective on this stuff? I'm truly really wrestling with So that's one of the things. And then the other thing is I'm always curious of people's story and why and what they learn and their experiences. And I'm a I just love stories, and so I have asked, you know, questions and what happened then, and you know back, you know, when you're balancing family and you were going public at the same time, Like, tell me more about that, and you know, I listen and I feel like I learn. And so that's my approach. It's a vulnerability. Curiosity brought my two leads going in.
Speaker 1: I imagine that you have also played the role of mentor, like officially or officially to many people over the years. What's some of the advice that you found yourself sharing most often?
Speaker 2: The one thing I've shared, which which took me a while to figure out, was like, good, good job putting your hand up for this seeking out advice, right, wanting to be mentored, that's awesome, But you need to search for the gold from any mentoring type or advisory type scenario. So search for the gold. And I think in gold mining there's the dirt to gold ratio is interesting. And even though I would like to propose, yeah, look everything I drop is gold, it's not, and it's certainly not gold for that person I had these. Really there's two mentals I had at one particular point in the journey, and I never forget that the deeply uncomfortable feeling of taking one challenge and one thought to both of them separately, and they both had the exact opposite advice and they were both, in their own right incredible people history. And I was so stressed, and that there probably speaks to the fear of rejection thing, but like I was, so, I'm like no, like, how could this be happening? And it wasn't until I kind of stepped back and you know, had some other advice around this where and actually a mentor did say, is it you cannot cut and paste everything you hear because this is someone else's experience, their journey. You are on your own path. You are on your own journey, And as a rule, I would say to someone you're looking for the ten to twenty percent of gold, you don't have to apply one hundred percent of what you hear. Now, that is really tough when there is power and balance is not the right term, but there's certainly usually an experience in balance, Like, you know, how could I sit with someone who's run a company, grown it to billions of dollars, tens of thousands of staff and not apply what they're saying like that. It feels arrogant or disrespectful, But it's looking for the thread that applies to what you do and being okay to leave some things on the table. And so I think that takes great wisdom and humility of someone listening, because you have to be okay to catch up with that mentor and be like, yeah, so look, I didn't. I didn't go that way. And actually there was one time I caught up with a mentor years ago. We caught up. I left that catch up, and I so didn't like the advice that I in my mind, I was like, I'm never catching up with that person again. And that's very rude to say out loud, but I was just ticked. I was like, you don't you don't get it, you don't get it. I caught up with that person about a year later, and I confessed, I said, hey, last time we caught up, I said, I never want to catch up with you again. And I know I've sort of been quiet, but I yeah, I went. I went sort of the opposite to your advice, and it didn't work out, and you were right and I was really wrong. And that was a really interesting journey in and of itself. And I would just encourage, you know, encourage people like it's what I did wrong. Then I probably needed to learn some stuff. I probably needed some very good humbling as a young leader. But what I should have done is stayed in contact over that year and actually gone that journey of you know how I'm going a different way. Can we walk this out together, you know? And so anyway I'm going down a rabbit one. Now.
Speaker 3: That's a great lesson to learn, though, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Now, for people that want to connect with you or thank you or both, what is the best way for listeners.
Speaker 3: To do that?
Speaker 2: Oh, such a good question. I mean, thank you is that you know website thank you dot co. You'll learn heaps more follow us on all our social channels. Thank you, oz on, Instagram, Facebook, kind of everything, LinkedIn connecting with me apologizes if it seems hard to anyone, I have spent the last year off socials and that has been an experiment of great joy and challenge, if I'm honest, But it's been about trying to cut out a whole bunch of digital distraction and deep work. And anyway, I'm not resolved yet on exactly what we're going to do with the whole challenge we have with social and also still being connected and relevant. So I'm a little hard to get hold of. But you know on LinkedIn, you know I do eventually eventually get there if you're interested.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, Daniel, I have loved this chat, and I'm deeply appreciative that you said yes to the interview when I asked, so thank you for being wonderful and sharing so many gems of wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks so much, Amantha appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I find Daniel's enthusiasm can tageous. One of the things I took away from our chat is about gold mining. When you sit down with a mentor. I've mentioned on the show that I have a couple of peer mentoring groups, both of whom I love very much.
Speaker 2: But it's really only five.
Speaker 1: Percent of what gets said in our three ish hour catchups that I go away and implement or that fundamentally changes my thinking about something that I'm working through in my life. Daniel highlighting this in our chat made me more confident in going it's okay. I'm not being lazy or missing a whole bunch of stuff. It is okay if it's only five to ten percent, that is the stuff that changes me. How I Work is produced by Inventing with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you to Matt Nimba, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.