Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast past week that might welcome back gys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode I've been finding guests that want to dieve just that little bit deeper to the shows they're currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you've found me. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. Today's episode, I'm joined by this week's eliminated queen from RuPaul's Drag Race down Under season three. It is the fabulous Ashley Madison. The Melbourne based drag queen started her career over eight years ago and is now a staple amongst the ever increasing queer entertainers we have in Australia, even starting our own talent agency book A Queen, which I'm sure is going to go gang busters over the next few years. This is in Some viewers found Ashley Madison a bit savage to start with, but after a hit Snatch Game performance as Jesus, she quickly developed a cult following around the world down Under. It will not be the same without her, and today we are going to unpack the third season like never before. I will find out how Ashley's Jesus character was received by Rue Paul and if producers tried to censor her. We will talk bump a Love and what the truth is behind their past relationship and how that has affected this season. Ashley will open up about her inner saboteur, why she thought she probably couldn't do season three, and what she thinks of an all star season for next year. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of RuPaul's Drag Race down Under, which is now available to watch on STAN Australia. Full disclosure, as I was recording this episode, I did have a power outage and my audio doesn't sound as polished as usual, so I kind of apologize for that, and I hope you can put up with it. Anyway. Let's bring Ashley Madison into the podcasting guys. I hope you enjoy this very special look at RuPaul's Drag Race Week five. Hi Ashley, how are you? Hi?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm actually really good. You know what's really funny was that I was driving along Chapel Street on Sunday, you know, just had to pop down to JB Hi Fi, and you walked past, like you literally were at the window of my car as you walk past, and I straightway rang my partner to be like, oh my god, there's RuPaul's Drag Race queens walking past the car.
Speaker 2: A are you stalking me?
Speaker 1: One? I love a good stork. But you know what was really surprising as well was I'm really shocked at how tall you are.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, i mean I'm six foot two, so you know, and then and then you tuck on heels and you tuck on a wig.
Speaker 2: And that gets even bigger.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm assuming that you were heading down to the Emerson, which is like a popular Sunday haunt for us. Melbournian's right, absolutely, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wasborn in menimous, and I think we did.
Speaker 1: Being out at the clubs of Melbourne. What is it that the partners are coming up and talking to you about, Like what do they want to know when they get a chance to meet you face to face? Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, in the last week it's been Snatch Game. You know, everyone everyone wants to talk about Snatch Game. Everyone wants to talk about Jesus. Everyone wants to talk about, you know, how good they thought the character was or whatever. And that's been lovely. I mean everyone, it's interesting now. Obviously I came across apparently quite caddie or quite bitchy in the first couple episodes, but it's now interesting that people will come up to me and they're like, I didn't like it at the start, but I think I'm okay with you now, and I'm like, great, that's an amazing thing to hear.
Speaker 1: I think that the Snatch Game character is this season's highlight for me. Like I think that there might be other queens that are doing just a little bit better job than what you've been doing all over, but that particular moment is iconic, and I think that's what people are going to remember this season.
Speaker 2: For I hope.
Speaker 3: So, I mean it's been very divisive, you know, and we mentioned that when we filmed the show, we don't know how this is going to come across, and we don't know how people are going to feel, but you know, it'll leave its mark no matter which way.
Speaker 1: How nervous were you though that you might offend audience is because were you worried that, you know, you'd be savaged online by taking on, you know, our religious character like that.
Speaker 2: There was a concern.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I've had a couple of months to come to terms with the fact that that might have been a reality, and so I kind of prepared for that mentally, knowing that that could come. You know, I'm more like when it came to drag Race, I was more worried about you know, offending my peers than than than you know, right wing religious folk.
Speaker 2: But I was quite concerned.
Speaker 3: But then I realized when watching the episode that you know, Rue and Michelle and Reese all said that I'd done it quite respectfully, and so I was hopeful that that was going to make the cut, so that like, you know, the audience would feel that way too, and thankfully it did.
Speaker 1: Were there conversations with producers or with Rue before you actually took it on, Like, were there conversations about how far you could go? Was there any nervousness.
Speaker 3: Or well, I didn't have any conversations with producers when it came to whether or not I could do Jesus. I mean when when we're preparing, we are asked to like tell them what our ideas are, you know, because I believe there are some characters that you can't do. But I told them I wanted to Jesus. They didn't have any issue with that. There was a lot of conversation in the walk.
Speaker 2: Through with Ruth.
Speaker 3: They didn't quite make the cut in the edit about Jesus in the back because obviously she's she's is religious.
Speaker 2: In some way or another.
Speaker 3: And so my my worry really walking walking into that, because I prepared most for Jesus. My worry was that I was going to walk in and was going to be like, absolutely not. But thankfully that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: But Rus seemed.
Speaker 3: Ruth sense of humor is kind of like an old sense of humor, you know, they like to laugh at the things that are a little bit riskuy, and so I think that really played into me being successful in sept Gem too.
Speaker 1: Who are these.
Speaker 2: Characters that you can't do?
Speaker 1: Like? Do you know that? Is that like an underground known thing that there's some characters that you're not allowed to touch?
Speaker 3: So I I will say I haven't been told by any producers or anything that that that I can't do anything, But there's there's been rumors on on the grapevine that Chris Lilly characters are not allowed.
Speaker 2: That there was a rumored that the Dame Edna.
Speaker 3: Wasn't allowed because of her transphobic comments, but obviously that changed in season two. I guess yeah, But I believe that the Chris Lily characters, so no Jamay and obviously no like Jonah from Tonga or anything like that, because you know, you can't go on and write Jimmay on that piece of paper. You have to write Chris Lily. So that might be the issue there. I believe we also are allowed to do Pauline Hanson because she's too likely to suit.
Speaker 1: I kind of think, you know, if someone did do a Chris Lily character, they might do it better than him. So maybe that's the concern.
Speaker 2: That's definitely possible.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it comes to snatch game. Everyone wants to know how long you're actually sitting there and doing it. Is it a lot longer experience or is that exactly how it happens.
Speaker 2: That's more or less exactly how it happens.
Speaker 3: When we're not there for long, I mean, we're not told in advance how many questions we're going to be asked. So we're sitting there, like, we don't know if it's we don't know if it's three, we don't know if it's five, we don't know if it's ten.
Speaker 2: We were asked four. We were asked four questions.
Speaker 3: I think we were maybe there sitting there for like thirty minutes or so, and Rue just goes down the line and she asked each person the answer to each question, and then you know, afterwards, production decides which ones are funny enough and which one's you know, bomb enough to make the cut.
Speaker 2: But we're not really there for long, and so I think people have this.
Speaker 3: People have this opinion that you've got to like go somewhere with your character, and you've got to like to be highs and lows.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult to do that in the short amount of time that you're allocated and.
Speaker 1: Everything was put on the show, so there was nothing censored. Well, there was nothing censored.
Speaker 3: I don't think that there was anything that was necessarily like offensive or anything that I said that they cut out. I was a little I was a little worried that they were going to cut out my two thousand years a guy I was black comment.
Speaker 2: I was worried that that wasn't going to make the cut.
Speaker 3: There was a joke I said in there because I in the edit, I didn't answer the the Jason Momoa one, and I said something along the lines of like Moses led men through the desert for forty years, which just goes to show that even back then, men couldn't ask for directions. And reu loved at that too. But obviously they're probably not going to show everybody's answers for everything. But I guess that one was maybe the least funniest that they showed.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, I love this.
Speaker 1: For you because you know that for the rest of your life people are going to be talking to you about that snatch game.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope, so you know, I'm glad that I went on and did something successfully. No, I don't know, you were great.
Speaker 1: I mean the thing for me was that you started super strong, like I love that sort of not bitchy, because I didn't necessarily think it was that bitchy anyway, but I love that stronger drag Queens style that you were doing right at the start. But you definitely saw the wheels come off this week. Sorry about the Bear Mex Bandit's accidental pun there. I mean, I really didn't think i'd be talking to you today. I thought I would be talking to Bumper, But here we are. What was going on in your head? Because I felt like it was teased last episode that you were going to start to feel less confident, and that it was sort of in full swing by the time we were watching this episode. What happened.
Speaker 3: I think what happened was I when I got cast with Drag Race, I wasn't one hundred percent sure why I was cast. I was happy to be cast, and I was happy to go on and have a fun time and meet Rue and show the world to I am but I'm not someone that's like, oh, I'm amazing at this, and I'm you know, I'm great on whatever. And as much as that may have come across in the show, that's all of us sad that, you know Drake Quen's build up over their career. So I walked onto the show being like, I'm not I'm not going to make it more than halfway. I didn't even prepare a finale dress. I didn't even get one made because I didn't think that I was going to make it to the end. And then winning Snatch Game, I think broke me a little bit because I was like, wait, wait, who wha, whoa, I've done something successfully here, Like I did something well.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't even fathom that that was a possibility for me, And then I started kind of questioning why I never thought of that for myself and why I've.
Speaker 2: Come in with this idea that I was going to go home and I think once I want Snash Game. I was like, I don't know what else I have to show here.
Speaker 3: I don't know what else I have to give, because I feel like I've shown I've shown everything, and I've had such a high.
Speaker 2: It's all going to be down from here.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a really interesting thing that you talk about this, because you know, winning Snatch Game and doing such a great job at that I would have thought would be giving you the confidence to be like, well, I'm going to pull this together and I've got a level up because I felt like the character leveled up and I definitely feel like it's in you. You know, watching the show, you could definitely see that you could be one of Australia's best drag queens that we've ever had on the show. It's interesting how that inner saboteur comes into the minds of people when they're in that place. But it is disappointing to hear that. You know, going into this competition, you thought, why are they picking me? What could they possibly have to gain by putting you in the show if if they didn't think you were ready.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot that they could because you know, you've got to have There's always there's always a queen. I just I didn't know what I didn't know what my place was because in drag Race that there tends to be there, tends to be placed there, tends to be like one legendary queen. There's always like one lipstick assassin, and there's always one one bitchy character. There's always a comedy queen, like there's all there's always these like specific people that are really good at at one thing, and and when I got cast, I wasn't sure where I fit in that And because dun unders so small, I walked into drag Race knowing who the entire cast was prior to walking into that workroom, and I still couldn't.
Speaker 2: Quite work out where I fit.
Speaker 3: I mean, I run I run a booking agency, and I run a jewelry business, and I've worked with Bumper and isis a lot. So I thought that maybe that was the roles that I was going to play. But looking back at the season that's aired so far, I think that I was cast to be someone that was going to have opinions and was going to be opinionated and was going to speak what to my mind and do all these different kinds of things. Like like we mentioned, my reputation was in that first episode, but I don't think that like the producers or whoever cast me really realized that, Like I'm a real person underneath it, and I and I you know, I have faults and I think about my faults, and I think that that all came out in this episode.
Speaker 1: This is what I say to everyone, if you just relax into your insanity and unpack your bag of shit in front of the camera that resonates with audiences. I think better than being the most creative or you know, the person who can sew the best, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's interesting because I thought the same thing, and especially in episode one when I broke down, I was like, I spoke to the producers afterwards and I was like, I'm hoping that this comes across like vulnerable, and this comes across real because I want people to show I want people to see who who I am. And it was interesting looking back to the way that that ends up being edited, because I looked at it and I was like, that's That's not how it was in the moment because I when I sat there on that on that couch and I took off my lashes and I started crying. The first thing I said was, I'm so embarrassed to be in this position in front of Bumper and isis because I have so much respect for Bumper and Isis you know, Bumper gave me my career in Isis It's been an inspiration for my career this whole time. And I really spoke about how I was embarrassed to be in this position in front of them for such a small problem and that I could go home in the first episode because of that small problem. Then then when it aired, it was like, well, well, Ash's crying and I was like, oh okay, especially when Ivory had a lot of the same kind of embarrassment feelings.
Speaker 2: Then she cried and it came across quite vulnerable.
Speaker 3: And there was even a moment that we filmed where they took as they took me out into the car park with Gabriella and had any cry out there too, that didn't make it didn't make the cut either. So there's all of these really emotional parts that happened in that first episode that didn't make it to air. And maybe that's because they knew that this was coming, you know, when they were editing it all together, that they knew that I was going to be vulnerable eventually. But you know, it's it's hard hard looking back and being like, you know, be vulnerable in all of those moments. But it's interesting that some of those vulnerable moments can be taken from you and be edited in a way that is a.
Speaker 2: Bit like, oh, well, you know, poor her, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting it's an interesting show. But I guess you've kind of leaned into something there, which is maybe a bit of a tease to this answer. But you know, last week I noticed something a little unusual, which was you complimenting Bumper and saying that you know, Bumper should be in the top two or top three. I'm sort of paraphrasing here, but it seemed like you were not necessarily being genuine And then Floor called you out for it and said, is that true? And so I was trying to work out your motivations. Why would you want to give Bumper a compliment.
Speaker 2: Like, well, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: So I guess I've got a question for you if it wasn't because obviously we're walking into this situation going there's going to be a top three and bottom three, So who would you have put in that position instead of Bumper?
Speaker 1: Definitely wouldn't have put Bumper. It was not an obvious choice. It was not I did not think that Bumper deserved to be in the top three. It seemed like an odd choice for you, And.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting I guess that that all comes down to the way that things were shown on the episode, because you know, I look at Holly Snatch Game that that that happened, and I know for a fact that there were zero laughs that happened when we filmed that, and now there's there's there's laughs in the edit.
Speaker 2: And so when it came to the Snatch Game, I was looking at it and I was going, Okay, so Holly got no laughs.
Speaker 3: So she there's there's no way that she could be in the top three with us, and I obviously read Reader got none and so and I really feel for her in that moment. So I was like, Okay, so it's not Reader and Flaw. Flaw was Charro and she was a chari to an intro into an inch of her life. But it wasn't necessarily funny, and it was interesting because you know, and you know, you'll you know, I guess at some stage you'll talk to Bumper about this. But Bumpa did get laughs in Snatch Game, and the first half of her Snatch Game was funny, and she did have this character that that that that she put on, and so when I was thinking about it, I was like, well, I guess I guess it's Bumper or Gabriella. It could be it could be either of those two. And so in that moment, I was like, I mean, I guess it's Bumper. It's interesting that afterwards it looks like, you know, I may have been playing tricks, or I may have been delusional or whatever, But in that moment, I absolutely and legitimately thought, if there's a top three, I thought Bumper was.
Speaker 2: There with us.
Speaker 1: I'm a viewer watching the edit, and I assumed the same thing. Flaw did. She called you out for it, so you know, it obviously was more than just the way in which you know or maybe the lack of what the audience saw.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 3: I think if you watch it back, Flaw wasn't necessarily calling me out on the fact that she thinks that Bumper was high because she's got her own opinions of Bumper, especially in that exact moment. I know Bumper and Floor get along very well now, but in that moment there was that tension there. I think Flaw was and Flora and I got along very very well throughout filming. We were like, very very close throughout filming, so when we had that moment, I think she was more questioning whether she should have been in that top three instead of Bumper, rather than calling me out for putting Bumper there instead of anybody else. I mean flaor got Last too, not that they really made it in the edit, but Flaora laughs in Snatch Game, and she she she wasn't funny in the sense of like telling jokes or whatever, but there were some laughs from Rue that I mean, may have been sympathy laughs, I don't know, but there were some laughs there. So it was it was interesting to me in that moment because I definitely wasn't being dis genuine or disingenuous at any point.
Speaker 1: I think the obvious question here is about an established relationship with Bumper before you did the show. Did you owe or feel like you owed a support to Bumper because of that pre established relationship, I'll say.
Speaker 3: No, and you know, and I say that I think obviously, obviously we all have hidden biases. But I've worked with Isis a lot through throughout my career. I worked with Bumper a lot throughout my career. I know Ivory very well. Like I've run a booking agency. I book Ivory.
Speaker 2: I know amil and and so I knew a lot of the girls that were there. So those biases are probably there with all of those characters. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel that I owed Bumper anything. And it's interesting that a lot of our history wasn't mentioned on the show because we leading up to the show, there was a lot of stuff that happened prior to filming Drag Race, and prior to doing Drag Race, we're Bumper and I were not on a good level. We did not get along, and so we have this big history of very highs and very low s Bumper and I. And so I walked into the show being like I'm going to be I mean, I know how to work around Bumper, and I know what she's like, I know what working with her is like, and so I knew how to navigate that. But I definitely don't feel like I went out of my way to bullshit her in any way.
Speaker 1: It seemed like gameplay to me, Like, you know, we followed it up this week while everyone said that Flaw should be in the bottom and not Bumper, and even Rue Paul calls it out and says, I don't think that they're being honest here. You know, I think that they would have all said Bumper, but they just did want to say it to her face. So if Ru's saying that, how do you feel about that? Now?
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting because I think I mentioned that briefly in the episode, and is that I said Flaw's name on the runway for one reason, and I would have said Bumper's name for it for another reason. I said Flaw's name throughout the season because of the way that the judges have placed Flaw.
Speaker 2: Flaw was high in.
Speaker 3: The first episode, she was safe in the second episode, she was high in the first in the third episode, and then she was obviously in the bottom two in the third episode, and then Bumper was safe in the first episode, high in the second episode, high in the third episode, and then safe in the fourth episode. So I said Flaw's name because that's the way that the trajectory was happening on the show. But if we were to go by and I mentioned it, I don't know if it makes an editor. I don't know if it makes it in the cut. But when I talk about I spoke about the fact that if I was going by the way that I think people were on the show, and that where I would have placed people throughout their positions on the show, then I would have said Bumper's name. I absolutely would have said Bumper's name, But in that moment, I was thinking about the track records of everybody in that situation. Up until that point, it just was giving me pimp vibes. And I know this is going to sound really strange. She's going to have to come with me on this very strange analysis. But it seemed like everyone was scared of the pimp, you know what I mean, like that she's the secret boss behind the scenes, And that's how it came across to me.
Speaker 1: And I guess you know, when you're watching a show like this, you're going to pull it apart and make your own assumptions and go down your own delusion. But is there a chance that all of you were scared of saying Bumper's name in front of her?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. It may come across that way in the show. And we all have a lot of respect for Bumper. Don't get me wrong. I think that what she's done with her career is amazing in the way that she's helped people, in the way that she helped my career is amazing. But I definitely don't think that any of us were kind of playing a game or I mean, and there may be those hidden biases that I'm not quite considering, But I think that we all were quite genuine and we were all quite real when it came to Bumper's positioning in the show, and we spoke about that in the third episode. When it came to the acting challenge. We were all very honest that we thought Bumper should have been in the bottom in the acting challenge. There wasn't this grand pooba oh when going to say it.
Speaker 2: No, we said it.
Speaker 3: We said that we thought the Bumper should have been in the bottom of the acting charge because she was playing Bumper, she wasn't playing a character. So I don't think that in episode five suddenly we've changed our minds and we have that respect that we wouldn't mention her name could to remember.
Speaker 1: Like as viewers as well, we're more surface level watching this sort of stuff and interpreting it versus your real world experience of being there. I mean, being inside the Roupol bubble for twenty four hours a day, seven days a week throughout the whole shoot is probably one of the most intensive reality shows you could possibly do. I have full respect for everybody in that situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think I think honestly I think being in being in that bubble is what broke me this episode and what made me quite vulnerable in this episode. We don't have access to our phones, we don't have access to our support networks, we don't have our best friends that we talk to every day, and there is a castminder with us at all moments of the day. There's someone outside our hotel room doors. And when we're on set, they put us on what they call hard eyes, which means you cannot talk, or soft dies, which means you can talk about anything that isn't the show. And so when we're in those moments, you know, obviously you are able to get your emotions out, you aren't able to get your feelings out, So it's hard to regulate what that's like. And you kind of in this bubble in your own world, and you kind of lose a sense of reality.
Speaker 1: Maybe absolutely, This BMX Bandit's challenge seemed to be a big waste of opportunity that no one put on the Nicole Kidman curly red hair. Did no one have a curly red wig? What the hell was going on with that? Well?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, we were told, you know, when we were cast on the show that were it just said eighties. It said eighties dance outfit. I think was what we were told. So we weren't told like, oh, this is BMX band It's like, you know, here's here's a costume opportunity.
Speaker 2: We were just told eighties dance outfits. So that's what we had see this.
Speaker 1: I thought it would have been like BMX Bandits Challenge and then I was just expecting someone was going to bring a curly red wig alogue, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No, So what happened was we didn't find out that it was being X Bandits until the day before, and so then they told us and then they allowed us all to go into it was Isis's hotel room, and we all sat there together and we watched the movie and it entirety to kind of get an idea of what we were, what we were doing, and what our lyrics might be, because a lot of this didn't really have an idea of.
Speaker 2: What that movie was before that moment. And then we'll watched it together.
Speaker 1: You guys are all twelve. Yeah, not one single person was even alive in.
Speaker 2: The eighties except Bumper.
Speaker 1: I love that we've said that at the same time, you know, the choreography was so confusing to me. I was watching the show and granted your their in real life, and so you're getting a longer explanation. But I've never been more confused by a choreographer and the history of Ruphoulse drag race.
Speaker 3: It was really hard in that moment, especially because so I know that Bumper is a trained dancer. She hasn't danced for a long time. But Bumper is a trained dancer, but Flora and I are not, in any sense of the word dancers. And so I walked into this being like, I hope he's going to be kind and I hope it's going to be easier on us. But he kind of went balls to the wall straight out the gate and was like, here's all of this stuff, and I'm like, whoa, whoa, I have no idea what's going on. I don't know what this is meant to be, like, we know nothing. And then there's this all of this choreography picking up bikes and doing all these hand moves and doing all these kinds of things, and so Adhd.
Speaker 1: Would have been so confused by that jacket that he was wearing. I wouldn't have learnt anything because I'd just be staring at that hideous jacket bang like what I hang a sec. I've got to concentrate, and then I'd be like just drifting back off to why is he wearing this hideous put yourself together? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean look, it was interesting because he I will give him credit, he did stick around until very very late at night that night off camera, and did teach us more and did go more into each of the specific moves and each of that kind of stuff. Obviously, I think he's kind of played it up for TV and and tried to make it look like even more difficult and make us look like we were doing worse than we might we might have been in that moment, but he did. Afterwards, after the camera's cut, he was like, he told us, he goes they they they told me to be bitchy, and I'm like, okay, and so that you know that that's what he did, and and then he was really genuine and nice afterwards, and he was really helpful, and.
Speaker 2: He even came back the next day.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gazumped by it, Like, you know what I did the rock as Dedford, I could do a few dance moves, but I was confused. I was like, oh my god, And so I had a lot of sympathy for you struggling with that. So anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what you have to say about that once you've got a chance to watch the episode and see how that is. You know, there's so many people in my inner circle talking about this series and talking about the Hollywood star. Isis storyline or narrative that's being created that they're the most obvious choice to win the show. I don't want to know who you think is going to win this show, because you probably know more. But could you feel a narrative being built in real time that those two were probably the strongest queens?
Speaker 3: I think so for Isis, I wouldn't necessarily say that I think that there's a narrative. I think that Isis like she just legitimately did quite well. You know, up until this point in the competition. She is like a really genuine nice person. She won Miscongeniality at the Melbourn Drag Awards in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I think so she is a nice person and she was very helpful to a lot of the girls there, and she is an absolutely brilliant drag queen. There were some things with Hollywood, like Hollywood's placement in the Design Challenge and Hollywood being safe in the Snatch Game, where I was kind of like, okay, like I think that, and even even Hollywood thought that she was going to be in the bottom in the Snatch Gream episode, and even if you look back on the runway, she even had a blonde wig under her brown wig so that she could reveal if she had to lip sync because she was so certain that she was going to be in the bottom too, because she got no laughs, And so when she was safe, even she was confused in that moment. And it's moments like that where I look at you know, I look, I kind of look kind of look into production and I look into that and I'm like, if all of us think that she should have been in the bottom, and even if she thinks that she should have been in the bottom, what happened? How does someone how does someone manage to be safe? And other people have put there in that position.
Speaker 1: For the first two seasons, we didn't see a lot of Melbourne queens and Melbourne queens in Australia are so iconic. I'm from Melbourne and I've watched you know, I've been going to drag shows since the nineties. Why do you think we haven't seen some of those old queens in the show. Do you think it's because they won't audition and they want the producers to come after them, or do you think that it's just not on brand and we're looking for younger queens to do the job.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I would absolutely adore if there were some old the queens on the show. There are some absolutely spectacular drag queens in Melbourne that haven't been on the show. I know for a fact that there are some queens. I won't mention.
Speaker 3: Anybody's nas specifically, don't want to call anybody out, but there I know there are some queens that will not go on the show, have absolutely no interest whatsoever. And I know that there are some queens that have been specifically asked by production kind of more or less like please audition, we would love to see you and have chosen not to. So a lot of those big names that I would absolutely adore to to be on the show, I think production is knocking at their door being like come on like, well we'll have you, like you'll you'll be great. But I think, and I think for a lot of them, I think that they're happy with what they've got, They're happy with their career that they've built, and there's too many unknowns, perhaps with reality TV.
Speaker 1: I like Susie Ridge, Laura Gravity, Paris, you know all of those.
Speaker 3: Parish I literally I spoke to one of the producers on set about Paris and I said, if you ever get Paris on, you're gonna need You're gonna need to give her more than five suitcases, because she's that's merely one costume.
Speaker 1: Five suitcases just for her ego. No, I'm not just for the libs. And everyone's talking season four. Oh, if they're doing a season four, we know it's going to be All Stars. Everyone's saying that it's going to be all Stars. Are you hearing that narrative as well?
Speaker 3: I've heard it mentioned I. Look, I I don't think it's probably going to happen. I know the drag Races, spun Yard I think has an All Stars after after the third season. Look, I don't know if that's necessarily going to happen. We've done I would love if that happened for for down Under, especially because there are other queens in in uh In Drag Race that have that have won the same challenges as me that have gone on to do All Stars and things, and so that's definitely something that might be in my purview.
Speaker 2: I would absolutely adore that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's going to be an All Stars, but I know that I'm contractably obliged to do it if there is one.
Speaker 1: You know, I I just really want to see an art Simone Quen Kong challenge, you know what I mean, Like those two kill each other to win that prize, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would love to see a lip sync art Simon and quin Kong. That that would be something.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say, I think you are so fantastic. And just before you go, ask everyone who joins the pod, what's something from behind the scenes, something that we don't see that we won't see?
Speaker 3: Actually, you know what, there is one thing that I had no idea how to director, and I don't think it's really peeking behind the curtains at all. But when we are on the stage in rousters, like it's your time to lip syncuse they have to take us off stage too, d MICUs so that we're not you know, if we take anything off during our lip sync, that our microphone isn't going flying everywhere. And while we do that, they get either producers or cast minders or stage hands and they get them to lip sync to the song that we're about to perform on this stage in front of Ruin the judges, and then we come out afterwards. And so that was really fun every week, trying to work out we were trying to get, trying to get which we were trying to push.
Speaker 2: Which producer to go on and do that. And then there was one person that works there that was doing like flips and kicks and all of this kind of stuff in front of Root Poulet. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: There's some amazing people work on that Chino Pip, I've had her on the podcast before. Yeah, some fantastic people that are putting that show together. Ashley Madison, I am obsessed with you. Good luck with where you want to take this, and I really appreciate you for being so generous and and sharing a story and talking to me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I've had so much fun