Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian No Common Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So many amazing stories coming out of the Olympics this week. One of our favorite ones happened yesterday with Jess Fox and then her dad Richard Fox, a legend himself, commentating as well. Richard is on the line right now.
Speaker 1: Good morning Richard, Good morning Christian.
Speaker 3: Good morning from Penrith.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Penrith, and from us in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Richard, I got to say, you moved us all to tears yesterday, you and your amazing daughter winning gold and what a story.
Speaker 1: How do you feel this morning?
Speaker 3: Oh good? I mean I didn't sleep so much, but I woke up and I'm messaging back and forth across the world and yeah, amazing, feel good. And we're out on the riverbank of the Nepean here and one degree so a bit chilly, No amazing. Spoken to Jess in Tokyo, spoken to Miriam and yeah they're buzzing and it's been great, so much support, so much love, And couldn't be prouder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet the thing that I may is right.
Speaker 2: As a dad myself who just loses it whenever his kids are in like a school play, how do you remain so calm.
Speaker 3: Richard, Well, I lost it quietly at the end. I look, I admit that. No, I yeah, obviously it's an emotional thing, and doing the commentary is actually a good way for me to process all of that, because you know, I'm from the sport and I was sort of in almost in the boat and living the technique and the feeling and the performance. So but once it's over, or you know, even before it happens, Yeah, there's a lot of tension and emotion and so many feelings that are attached to it. But yeah, I guess I knew when she was coming down towards the last section that she just had to finish it off. Well. She had a bit of an advantage, so it was just so good to see, so good to feel, and she was in a dark place after the race on the Tuesday where she you know, she struggled a little bit on the course, but she she was ahead and it was there for the taking, and then she made that mistake at the end of the course, she hit the gate and that that you know, scarred her heavily and she had to come back from that. And I think it was a great competition because the British athlete Mallory Franklin. She put down this huge score and when you see that, when you know the sport and you just think that's the bar, the bar has gone up and she's still got to get over that. So that was that added anovel, another layer of tension.
Speaker 2: And tell me this, then, what advice do you give her then? As a dad and also someone who competed a very high level, you know, ten time world champion yourself, how do you help your daughter from the mistake and the bronze? So then learn from that, move on and not carry it forward to when she's competing yesterday.
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no playbook in life for that because you just don't know. And I actually didn't sleep that well the night before the last final, and I got thinking, what do I say? I'll wait till the morning, and I talked about Yeah, I just gave us some keywords to think about. And you know, one of the things I said at the end, which I think, is, you know, for every parent, when you've got your kids in sport or any sort of activity where they're under the pump a little bit, you know, love love beyond the finish, So that whatever happens, you've got that. And then we had a little chat yesterday morning before the race. I talked about courage and confidence and control and that you've got to have that for those moments. You've got to have courage. And there was a time very early on in her career where we were in a World championship. She was sixteen, and it was the toughest course. You know, there's a big drop and she got hammered and it was one of those defining moments where you either get back on the horse so to speak, you know, back in the boat and run it again, or you know, it's a very delicate moment to say, what do you want to do? Do you want to go? Is this what you want to do? Do you want to get back in and have another go? And we talked about that moment and I yeah, so as I say, there's no playbook for it, but that was what we talked about, and she had to dig really deep. You know, she had incredible courage to you know, bring out that performance, and she talked about how nervous she was, so yeah, and I think, you know, if it doesn't happen, you've still got to have that love for the person because it's not you know, you're there in competition at the Olympics, it's what she loves to do. The chances you know, just as high or higher that she's not going to succeed because the bar is set so high. So she was in that defining moment of you know, will I do it? Am I good enough? Can I? And amazingly she did. So, Yeah, it was It was very special, but it's challenging. But I think being there and having that support was important.
Speaker 2: Was it hard for you being not out there? Was it really hard? Commentating? And I wish I was there to give her a hug?
Speaker 1: Was that hard?
Speaker 2: Richard?
Speaker 3: Yes, but we knew it was going to be like that. And so in fact, the way following the games, and I was saying this this morning to seven is actually being very very different, very revealing through the eye of the camera and you can see so much more. You can see the expression on the start line, and when you know the person, you can read a lot into that, into the emotion then. And how so I was more into the competition than I've ever been before. You miss a lot of that when you're you're there live. Of course, it's great to be there. But you know, with you know, all the technology today, we're in constant contact and you know, it's been okay, and we knew it was going to be like that, so you know, it wasn't a shock. And I've enjoyed being part of the public, if you like. The plan was to be in the stands actually, and I would have been, you know, I would have been there for the hug at the finish or whatever. But this has also been amazing.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The winner is Jess's and Jess as loan, but she is a real credit to you, mirroring your wife as well. And the great thing about her is yesterday is the other athlete. Some of the other partners were walking alongside while she was doing her race, cheering her on. She's she's a realness. She will actually inspire so many young boys and girls to take it up. She'll inspire the next generation. Are you are you aware of that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Look, she she does. And I think she you know, she really takes on that. It's not a responsibility, but she takes on that role and she knows how she was impacted by others. She when she grew up, I mean obviously her parents are in the sport and she sort of said that for breakfast every day. But I remember when.
Speaker 2: We before breakfast, you get in that canoe, yeah before okay, then breakfast, okay, stop crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I remember, you know, we went to Bay Athens in Beijing as coaches, and you know there was always the homecoming and you come off the plane and they were always you know ian Thorpe Animeres and all Susie O'Neil, all these great legends and so you know, she was inspired by all of that, and I think she feels this real sense of joy of sharing that, and she loves the connection with the schools and with families and sharing. So I think, well, yeah, she'll really embrace that moving forward and hopefully you know, bring a lot to other people, and you know to the mums and dad too. I mean with Miriam, they have they have such a lot of violent and great stories to tell.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: One final question. When I was a kid growing up in England, Rich and I remember you on a TV show. I don't know if you remember this. It was a strange show. The BBC used it for school children while they're on the summer break and it was a game show based around canoeing. Do you remember paddles up?
Speaker 3: I do? I do? And that's so funny you mentioned it because the girls when they were growing up, they loved laughing at their dad when they pulled up the videos from it and they, yeah, there are some famous moments from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean everyone in Australia won't know about the show, but it really was like a game show based around canoe and I seem to remember you would always smash it. But didn't your one point right have to get your canoe out the water and hit a football?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh there was. Yeah, there were tricks like that, and there was an Eskimaux role in it. So when you kip over and you've got to come back up. Yes, And this is the piece they loved the most because you know, I didn't do it very well. I didn't come up at the first tent and I got stuck between two obstacles. My boat you know, snapped basically snapped in two, and they just kept you know, I don't know their age or nine or whatever, they just keep playing that him laughing at their dad stucking it up.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm going to speak to Channel seven on your behalf. Paddles up needs to come back. Okay, yeah, you and Jess and Miriam are the hosts. Pulls up Channel seven. Let's bring it back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be up for it, all right.
Speaker 2: We'll let you go. You've given Australia so much inspiration. Joy Jess is amazing. She's one of the highlights. She's going to be one of the clips that we that Australia plays back when they do highlight reels. They'll be Catherineman, you know, Thorpe and Aimes, but also going to be your daughter, Jess. So you should be really proud. She's given us so much. I loved getting to know her and you guys in your story as well. So thanks Richard, and thanks Jess as well, and your wife Miriam as much. It has been lovely chatting to you today.
Speaker 3: Thanks Christian, we've just lost him, so I will say thank you.
Speaker 1: Who are you?
Speaker 3: I'm the offer I'm feeling with.
Speaker 1: I'm Christian, by the way you live on God. I know, Christian, I'm so sorry. You know that he's all right.
Speaker 2: Isn't following that river? He's what the side of it was excitements aren't coming back. It's calling his agent. He's cutting me out the deal. Well, listen, you have a lovely weekend.
Speaker 1: Nice to chat anyway.
Speaker 3: That's to check to you too.
Speaker 2: Things guys, when we say stuff like we're on hold with Channel seven, this is what happens in our world.
Speaker 1: Richard didn't say her, Why Richard was it?
Speaker 3: Paddles up Carlin a brighter Now you're listening to the Christian Know Carls Show podcast