Speaker 1: I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which this episode is being recorded, the Combomb Merry people. They've been having conversations and telling stories on this land for thousands of years, and we show our gratitude and respect for their contribution to our environment and culture. This is Rise and Conquer, the podcast where we strive to become the highest version of ourselves through curious conversations, healthy mindsets, laughter, connection, and a deep desire to evolve. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson. Join me as we explore parenthood, business, manifestation, and so much more. It's positive, it's practical, and it's about putting you in the driver's seat of your own life.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Hello, guys, we are back in the studio and I am joined by Cooper Stevenson, my brother, co founder of Naked Hello. So you guys loved the previous episode with Cooper. So's he's back in. He's been promoted.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're a lot to swear on this podcast. Actually we do. We absolutely do, but you know some moms have kids anyway, apologies about that. I want to go straight in your magnetic Blueprint was the course that we hosted at the start of the year, and it is a course about setting goals, but it's also you know, it's a fourteen day course, so it's like a mini course, and for the first seven days we're really asking you questions that help you uncover maybe some masks you've been wearing and some things that you have been doing that you don't actually want to do, and the person like you don't actually want to be, but it's from you thinking, maybe from childhood or like how you're brought up or school, that you have to be that person in order to get something. We're really smart, and it's this coping mechanism where it's like, well, if i'm this person, I'll get this outcome. We tend to do it as children, you know, to get our parents to act a certain way or be a certain way, or that's just what we think we have to do to survive or whatnot. And then we carry these masks as we get older, but they tend to get heavy, and we tend to get burnt out, and we tend to not like our lives because we're almost like living it for other people, or like living it from wounds so look pretty deep first seven days of the course, and then the last seven days you're making goals. So it's super fun. That course is actually still available if you guys want to do it. I think we might even put like a discaln code. Yeah, we'll we'll do a dissy for you if you want to do it. Just because I know it's probably a couple months into the air, but Cooper, I wanted to ask you and get this conversation rolling of some mass that you worn when you were younger or even now, and like the coping mechanisms, just so people can understand and get some examples and start getting their brain thinking of like, oh, where am I actually doing life from this very unconscious wounded state.
Speaker 3: Maybe you go.
Speaker 2: The biggest one for me was very interesting. We grew up in a family four children. I felt like I didn't have much attention from mom and dad because they worked so hard. You know, Mum had four children, She didn't have a cleaner, she didn't have help, so she was like always busy doing shit. Dad was obviously working all the time. It was fun to play with my brothers, but they're my brothers, Like I don't actually really care for their attention, and so I developed this coping mechanism. I felt very average, don't get me wrong, Like my parents, I feel like they loved me so much, and like I didn't feel unloved. And also when I was younger, I tried a whole bunch of like sports, gymnastic, dancing, and I didn't feel good at anything, Like I didn't excel at anything. I wasn't that smart in school, I felt like I didn't get a lot of praise for things. And then when I got older, because I know, shut up, I'm still upset about it.
Speaker 3: It still because we know what gets dad's attention anyway. But what well this let me tell you why.
Speaker 2: So it literally didn't happen until I was older in high school, and I decided I wanted to be a lawyer because I watched Legally Blond and all. So our oldest brother's girlfriend at the time was from like a low socio economic family, and she said she was doing law, and I remember thinking, fuck, are you no? But I remember thinking, oh my god, like if she can do law, surely I can do it. That's really toxic. Surely I can do law. And so we were brought up, we were so I then started doing really well at school. Told mom and dad I wanted to be a lawyer, and I got so much attention, Like I remember Die being drunk telling random people, my daughter's going to be a lawyer. She's so smart. And I was like, this is amazing. This is the attention that I always wanted as a child, you know, getting when I'm older. So I, you know, I do my law degree work really hard. Honestly it was very draining, but I was like, I got to finish this degree. Meanwhile, I'm doing my social media. I'm earning money from my social media. And our parents are very financially focused because they came from like a low socio economic background, so like money means survival. Money is important to them.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I started to get also a lot of praise from mom and dad for earning money while I was like at UNI and also super toxic too. I started getting so much praise when I got really skinny from mom and dad that it does make sense. Basically, my mask was overachieving.
Speaker 3: Great, I don't have one. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know when you're like I've got nothing, I'm looking at you, like, what are you talking about? You're like the most wounded person growing up, So let me finish one and then you can do yours. So I developed overachieving, and so that's why I was doing law. Started making money off social media, but like good money, like no one else was making that sort of money. I got like as skinny as possible, Like it was like everything I did to the extreme because of the praise that I got from people around me. And so I basically then made every decision based off getting that praise and approval from people. And I continued to make those decisions literally, probably not until what like a couple of years ago. I continued the high overachieving. I continued every time we'd see Dad, he'd be like, how much money do you end this week? He still kind of does it now. But I actually remember when I was going through this and realizing such a huge mass for me was this overachieving and how burnt out and how like I was like, I just don't want to be this person anymore. I don't want to live for everyone else. And that's why I had such a journey with like you know, with my weight becoming just like my weight now and all these things. It's almost like I was pushing against people, being like, no, fuck you, I'm going to be who I want to be and I'm not going to fit inside your box. That was a huge thing for me. Like I remember I even wanted to like dye my head brown because I knew Dad loved blonde, you know, like weird shit like that, Like I feel weird saying that by that makes sense. It makes sense. And so you go through this thing where it's like I don't want to be what everyone thinks I need to be. Even what we're talking about in our previous episode of like this year not having as many stresses, definitely recommend you guys listening to that. It was a good ee. We just like we talked a lot of shit, but there were some great points in it.
Speaker 1: Which.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Well look real that was Georgia last year and I'm still just paying for the consequences this year. Anyway, at the moment, it's like what am I actually? You know, what do I want? Even you know, with my followers on Instagram or whatnot, Like it was very much how can I be the most relatable person so everyone likes me on Instagram? How can I fit the size so everyone likes me on Instagram. I was just trying to fit myself in a box so much, but I got so tired, so exhausted. I developed physical things, like I had a thio disease, which I've now actually completely reversed. And even if you think about it, it's an autoimmune disease where your body is attacking itself. Like I got to the point where I was doing so many things for other people's approval, it's like my body started attacking itself. Like that's not normal for your body to do that, and so I had to really do some deep work to figure this all out and I did that.
Speaker 3: Let's look at that what you've just said. Then there's always good to bad. So having the things, having these masks, all the good that has come out of it for you so much good, amazing, Like look at my life now, so grateful. You get to a point where you need to transition and be like, no, I don't want to wear this mask anymore. And it's that transition time that you're going to get a dip because you're going into a new reality of being the person you want to be. So you're gonna have to go through some rough or when you get out of it to drop the mask. You're going to be in another journey and there's going to be good from that because you've just gone into a bit of a dip and now you get to live your life and not have all these diseases and.
Speaker 2: You're not going to be full of diseases, thank god. But even I love that you brought that up. Even thinking about that when I was, you know, going through being too skinny and my body was not coping, I remember thinking, oh my god, I'm going to lose my followers now, blah blah blah. But even if we think about that, when I start talking about intuitive eating, when I, you know, just was like working out and eating for like what I loved, I actually gained this whole new audience who was like, yes, thank you please, I don't want these like people on my feed who were so like unattainable. So it actually became like relatable and like a friend to someone else, different people. And I think that's with the mass situation, as you will be scared to take it off because it has benefited you for such a long time. I still work through today with the overachieving because I have so much of my identity in you know, I'm the big influencer who like has the businesses and he's a girl boss and like all those sorts of things. But I'm even noticing this year I want to transition even more to like being in my feminine and like doing things differently in business and not working how I used to work, and obviously focusing on family. And it's scares me because I did things so certainly for such a long time and got such a good result. But it's so important for us to like prove to ourselves that I can take off this mask and I can do something different and still have an incredible outcome. See even the other day it actually triggered me a little bit when you were like, I don't know, I feel like you said something about like me maybe not working as much.
Speaker 3: Why would I say that.
Speaker 2: To you because you your fucking father's son.
Speaker 3: No doulls what Because I don't like that about myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everything, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Doing it in myself. So I've just figured this out today. Actually I was thinking, and I was like, I've figured said it a few things in my head, and I'm like, George is just not really into it.
Speaker 2: George is doing nothing.
Speaker 3: Then I'm like, look at your Instagram and look at what you're doing, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What the fuck am I talking about?
Speaker 3: Literally everything, So always a reflection of yourself that you don't like about yourself. So and then I was like, that's why I'm changing, that's why I'm doing this, and that's why I'm going in the business more. You should never aly on other people to change yourself. You should always do it. It's always in yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, that triggered me because that was the old wound of how Georgia. Remember how I was like a workaholic when I was working twenty four to seven, and so that's like it got me a certain outcome. So when you said that to me, I was like, oh my gosh, like maybe I need to go back to the old self and blah blah blah. But this year, I think you missed this part. But I'm trying to step more on my feminine and do things in a very different way. So I acknowledged that comment and did think it's more about him than me. He's going through something. I'll let him process it and then we'll talk about it on Monday. Because I am doing things a different way. There's guilt because in a transition from Mars, it feels uncomfortable, it doesn't feel right. And so I had the initial thing of like, oh is he right blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And I was like no, yeah, so you got that awareness and then you assessed it of no, that's not what I want to do. Yes, this is what I want to be. You're welcome process.
Speaker 2: Thank you for triggering me. And well, that's what I mean is like I had to be like, well, no, I don't want to work harder to get a result. That's not how I want to do things anymore. So I can leave that there and yeah, realize that that's not what I have to do. But that was a great point for me.
Speaker 3: All right. So my mask when I was younger was the exact same thing I wanted to overachieve with sport. So I remember I was in grade one and I did the cross country and I come first, and I remember my mom just going, oh my goodness, like could you just come first, Like we've got a son that's really good at sport. And then told Dad and he was stoked and he praised me and said that was so good, Cooper. So I got love in overchieving in sports. So from then on, I always strived to be really good at sport, like I had the ability. But that was my mask to try and get love from Dad, and it was one. And I always did sprinting and I did soccer, and I just always tried to get Dad's love for that. You were very athletic, So that was my mask. But I got into high school and then I was like, I actually don't like this. It was too much pressure. I didn't really like it, so I stopped. And then that's when I just kind of didn't get much from Dad anymore. And then I went and did plumbing. I just that was just the easy option. I didn't so I didn't really get much from Dad. So that's when I started partying, and I was like, I just want to close my eyes. I want to escape, and yeah, I started doing drugs and I started which everyone but anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I just I needed to escape and I just didn't get those things. And I didn't get love from yeah Dad, And that was my biggest thing. Like he obviously loved me, of course didn't. He's like the best dad ever.
Speaker 2: He's the best ad, did you feel like mom loved you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got loved from Mum. So I'm very grateful that I had one parent that gave that gave me love. But fast forward all three is so like I still didn't get love from Dad with naked harvests, and I was like, try my hardest and to be successful and being successful, still didn't get it. I had a massive blue with Dad and he said, well, the only reason you're successful is Georgia.
Speaker 2: And that breaks my heart so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a massive fight with him. I nearly told him to get out of my house because he was staying there anyway.
Speaker 2: It was a big.
Speaker 3: Thing, and I was like, few, like, that's it. I've just tried a couple of years, a few years, put my life into this, got a big business and I was going really good. Still it in your love. And then I did my inner work stuff and I was able to let go of all these masks and I was I didn't need I didn't need Dad's love anymore.
Speaker 2: And it's like also the approval.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't need approval, didn't need love. I didn't need anything from Dad. All I just said to him. I was like, I want love and support, but if you can't do it, it's okay because I love and support myself. And so from that point, that's when I started seeing a different relationship with Dad, and that's when he started giving me love. That was the big turning point in our relationship.
Speaker 2: You stop changing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I took the masks off and I become my person and who I wanted to be, and like Dad would never come to me for advice ever about anything, and now they come to me, which is so weird. And they asked we keep like with financial problems, with mental problems, Like they come to me for advice and they respect me so much. And it's all because I respected myself. I loved myself. I had got a good relationship with myself. So in a work, took all my masks off. I love that. So that's when it fully changed for me. Now I'm Riborn, Now I am Ribel. It took a long while, but a lot of people don't get there, and that's the sad part two order. Yeah, so I'm very grateful that I've gotten to this point.
Speaker 2: It was actually such a benefit to you, Dad going no, I don't think you're successful, no, blah, blah blah, because that was like your rock bottom moment of like, well, fuck you, I'm gonna go and just do it for myself. I'm gonna stop caring about you. And that's when everything shifted. And obviously you benefited so much from that mask because look at naked harvest, look at your life. Yeah, so we always benefit. And it's like, it's really good if you can see the benefit from the mask, because that will help you understand why you've been wearing it for so long. You can put it down, yeah, because other as we see the mask and be like, oh, why have I been doing this? You know, blah blah blah. But it's like, see all the benefits really yeah, it makes actually a lot of sense. And we're really smart, Like we're so intelligent. Our subconscious will do what's best for us in every scenario. And it's like, for whatever reason, that was best for us. I even love how your moment is like if I want the respect and love, I need to give it to myself. And I feel like not a lot of people even get to that realization. That's huge.
Speaker 3: But like having these masks, they all they can be your survival as well.
Speaker 2: Those masks most of the time. We started wearing them for survival. If you think about a child, the parents have to love them for them to survive. And so it feels like unless you're in a position in your environment. Sorry, now you've kind of got to be out of that survival mode to even explore this. If you're still in survival, it's going to be so hard to let go of a mask because it's like your nervous system you're unconscious, like it won't let you.
Speaker 3: But it is very difficult to do this. That was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. So it's not something that you can just say, yeah, just do it it unconscious work. Yeah, the first thing is awareness and then start talking about it, start looking for it. Subconscious wants to go there anyway, so it's start doing it. A small thing for me.
Speaker 2: It was the small moments, even like I said the other day, when you said something about me not working as much, and then I had to in that moment decide, even though what you said is someone who I love and respect, I didn't want to wear that mask. So I was going to continue in the uncertainty, in the uncomfortable path of all I'm doing things differently, not wearing the overachieving mask. Like that's a small step, and it's like making those constantly where you're like, we don't want to do it, how I've always done it? Go to choose differently. Yeah, we're gonna love and leave you. This is just a little episode to get your brain thinking of, like maybe where you're wearing masks and how it could literally be creating health issues, how it could be you know, steering you in this unconscious constantly driving for something, and it's like you don't actually need to carry it anymore, you don't actually need to wear it, and you actually feel so much better, Like, for example, do you feel so much better now you're not like trying and pushing and craving dads love? Oh, Like I'm free, free weight off the shoulders.
Speaker 3: Imagine feeling free God locked up, Yeah, in the bottom of the cage and then you finally get out. That's literally what it feels like. That's what we're all chasing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, guys, thanks so much for listening. Cooper will be back because you guys love him, and we'll chat to you at some other point.
Speaker 3: Bye.