Speaker 1: Can I Peter Helly here, Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? The Movie Podcast where I checked to a movie lover about a classic of love movie that haven't quite got around to watch him until now. And today's guest comedian Phil Lloyd.
Speaker 2: You ever Danced with the Dead of the belleline?
Speaker 3: I'm walking here, walking.
Speaker 4: Here, of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world. She walks into, mince.
Speaker 5: Me, haven't any right?
Speaker 6: So you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Phil Lloyd is a quiet giant of the Australian television industry. Phil has been involved in three ousy productions that have successfully been adapted in the US. A Review with Miles Barlow, The Moodies and No Activity.
Speaker 5: He's also the.
Speaker 1: Writer creator of the Channel nine comedy he Come Habib's Sando and Bad Mothers. I've known Pil for about ten years now, when we met making an ABC summer panel show for The Trophy Room. Who became instant mates who would write together on It Today, a show Phil would also act in in the second series, playing poteless romantic Brad Butler, a role he continues to play in the spin off How To Stay Married, starring Lis mcewe and yours truly as Greg Butler, Brad's brunner. Phil is not only enormously talented and hilarious, but is also one of the good guys of the industry. And I'm thrilled that he's joining in for a chat today.
Speaker 3: By I'm Phil Lloyd and my three favorite films, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
Speaker 7: One fucking car, right fucking.
Speaker 8: The Shawshank Redemption. Send you here for life, that's exactly what they.
Speaker 3: Take and wait for it, Big Trouble in Little China. I'm not kidding you, ready.
Speaker 8: Jack, I was born ready.
Speaker 3: But up until this week, I've never seen the film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Quentin Tarantino's ninth film. We get it to of nineteen sixty to nine Hollywood, around the time the Hippie movement is about to come crashing down in the night of unprecedented horror and violence committed by the Manson family. But of course, because this is Quentin Tarantino, nothing happens the way we expect, or even the way he actually happened. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a love letter to movie making and to Hollywood. As we follow Leonardo DiCaprio's Rick Dalton, a former A grade actor who has been consigned to guest roles as he battles with the idea that his glory days are over. And Brad Pitt stuntman Cliff Booth, who keeps Rick's world afloat, chauffeuring him, fixing his TV antenor and keeping in company. It's a bromance that I'm totally here for, Phil Lloyd. Have you ever yelled of hippies in your street? In the bath Roy whilst holding a jug of margaritas?
Speaker 3: Is a regular Tuesday mind street. We live very close to some backpackers, some hostels, So yeah, that's that has Actually a version of that hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: If anyone has any dashboard cam of that incident, please let me know. I would love to see it, mate. Thanks for watching. This is a bit of a commitment. It's a two hour, forty minute film.
Speaker 5: Why hadn't you seen it up until this point? I was surprised that you hadn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, it's a combination of things.
Speaker 3: It was just, I don't know, just one of those films, very busy at the time and just sort of never got got round to it. The other thing is with for me in Tarantino movies, I have a slight feeling of anticipation, like a slight apprehension, because I know his films can be quite you know, savagely violent and quite shocking, and and I have to give myself up for that. So like, if I'm going to see a Tarantino movie, I'm going to put my helmet on and go, Okay, I'm going to see I'm going to see some stuff now, And that was probably subconsciously had something to do with it. Well, I never made time to get out there and go to the cinema and see it. But pretty glad i've seen it now excellent.
Speaker 1: Well before we get your thoughts on it, and there's obviously a lot to discuss with this particular movie, but I fascinated and excited about your three favorite films, particularly one which is I've cited as in my top three, and that is the John Hughes classic Steve Martin, John Candy, Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It's the first time somebody's put it in the top three, and I'm bloody excited that you did.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I just you know, it's a it's a tough thing choosing your favorite movies, but I got I've got to think about the films that I get most joy from and have watched the most. And that's definitely one I have seen. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it. It was one of our family movies growing up, and growing up probably my two favorite comedy stars was Steve Martin and John Candy. So they're in the same film together, directed by John Hughes. I mean, it's a it's a match made in heaven. So yeah, I just love that.
Speaker 1: Film, and it's it's so quotable. There are so many great funny lines in it. You know those aren't pillows and yeah, and that whole beat that Steve Martin gives about the chatty Kathy Doll and just ripping John Candy's heart out is just That's that it works on both levels of being really funny but just quite I mean, I remember tearing up, you know when I first saw it. I must have been twelve, I think, and I saw it in the cinema and I remember tearing up, and I think I most time, most times I've watched it, I reckon I've tied it up in not just that moment that the you know, the big the big twist at the end.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hundred percent. Like I think that's what was so genius about John Hughes.
Speaker 3: He was just able to tread that line between pathos and kind of real sadness, but then you're also really laughing and it can be really harsh and really cynical, and just those two characters are just such a great couple of characters, a real odd couple.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the whole.
Speaker 3: Road trip thing and they've got this journey they're trying to get to the end of it. Yes, I makes we're kind of going to want to go watch it again.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's Steve Martin certainly.
Speaker 1: I think it's John Candy's best performance that I've ever seen seen with him.
Speaker 5: I think he's just it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen Plans, Trains and No Bills, do yourself a favorite and get to it. A film that hasn't actually made it into a top three, surprisingly, but often is you know mentioned, you know when people talk about greatest films ever made? Is sure Shank Redemption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look that's another one. I know that's pretty It's a pretty big one for a lot of people. It's one of those films that you know, you turn the TV on, it's I don't know, quarter to ten at night or whatever time you go on to bed, and you just happen to catch sure Shank is on the t V and so, oh yeah, I remember this, sat Oh yeah, this is a great scene. So then you find yourself sitting down on the couch just to watch it for ten minutes. Cut to you know, nineteen minutes later and the credits are rolling.
Speaker 8: You've watched the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's one of those kind of films where it's a bit like comfort food really, but it's just.
Speaker 8: A it's a really compelling story.
Speaker 3: Again, great characters, and I love the backstory to it that it was just, you know, based on a Stephen King short story. It's just one of those ones that I always get enjoyment from watching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and again maybe Tim Robins best performance.
Speaker 1: Morgan Freeman is you know, Morgan Freeman's voice is you know, is so kind of revered. But I feel like when I think of Morgan Freeman's voice, I think of short Aank Redemption even more so than seven at which I love and another film he's been in like that that is maybe the best voiceover movie of all time.
Speaker 8: It totally is.
Speaker 3: And it's a really interesting one to talk about and analyze, actually, because for a long while I thought the protagonist in that movie was the Tim Robins character, but actually I think it's it's Morgan Freeman's character.
Speaker 5: It's a really.
Speaker 3: They've sort of given equal weight and there's this sort of push paull between them the whole way.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Classic.
Speaker 1: Also an interesting thing is that it wasn't necessarily a box office smashed upon release.
Speaker 5: It took it. I think it took until finding a video audience before it kind of became the revered movie that it is now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's happened to a number of films, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I remember that it wasn't a huge hit at the at the cinemas, but it's been a slow burn, I guess for everyone. There's a few films like that.
Speaker 8: I remember a Blade Runner it was the same thing.
Speaker 3: There's another great film which I love, but it was a didn't do well at the box office, was critically panned.
Speaker 8: But now looking back on that thing, I mean, it's just it's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's another one that I love, going back to Rewatch, Yeah, that wasn't a hit at the time.
Speaker 5: And Big Trouble in that little chime.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a palette cleanser there, and look it's fair to say, uh, it's just it's just one of those ones that popping into my head and I just I just want, you know what, I'm just going with that, But I do love that film. Another one that I grew up with. Kurt Russell just amazing, just but a great action comedy. I think John Carpenter, you know, he made some great films. I mean, you know, Escape from La, Escape from New York, Escape from La and the Thing another amazing film. Big Trouble though, just I have a big smile on my face every time I hit play on that. On that movie, it's it's just Kurt Russell.
Speaker 8: Being an idiot, and he knows he's been an idiot, but he's really just committed to that character.
Speaker 3: And it's I love action comedy and it's one of those action comedies from the eighties, which they did so well back then.
Speaker 8: It's a great adventure film.
Speaker 1: Why don't they make I mean, I guess, I guess there's been a few. I think Kevin Hartswall he made a few of those types of films, and Melisam McCarthy's I made a few.
Speaker 5: So they're completely gone.
Speaker 1: But it was a bit of a golden age for the maybe even because that was when they first appeared. Perhaps you know the action comedies that you know, maybe pre eighties they probably weren't action, was maybe all kind of serious or something.
Speaker 3: I think so, yeah, I think that that combining, combining those two uh you know genre's comedy and action films, they got they they ended up getting really good at it in the eighties. I remember, I remember, you know, Beverley Hills Cop. I think it was probably nowhere near as funny, or probably wasn't they imagined as being as funny until Ednie Murphy got involved. That's another great example of a great action comedy. I mean, the the truck slash police car chase at the start of that film is just airpeck and I don't think I've ever seen anything about tops it really Yeah. I mean, how many cars did they total during the opening of that film.
Speaker 8: It's like hundreds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe second only the Blues Brothers perhaps, but maybe, but they had actual left playing as well, which was, Yeah, there's a lot of things they got right, and Beverley.
Speaker 5: Hill's got and the pornis and the banana in the tail part.
Speaker 1: So all right, let's let's the three great films well chosen and we this time, though, we will take a quick word from our sponsor before we find out what you actually thought of Quentin Tarantino's night film, What's upon a Time in Hollywood? All right, Phil, you finally have sat down to watch this two hour, forty minute epic from Quentin Tarantino. I must say Tarantina for me is one of those directors that I'm like, if I've waited three days to see it, I've waited too long. I just have to see what he's done. I like to see before I've heard too much about it. So I was very quick onto this, as I am with all of his film. I was lucky enough to interview him twice, once on TV for the Project and another time for The Hateful Eight. I hosted the Q and after, so we had like basically an hour with him before we got to the questions and Samuel Jackson and Kurt Russell and it was it was a pretty cool experience.
Speaker 5: But I want to know, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 8: Look, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I didn't know quite what to expect, again because I hadn't seen it, and I knew at some point I was going to watch it.
Speaker 8: I tried to.
Speaker 3: Avoid reading too much about it. But you know, for me, the two hours forty minutes didn't drag at all. I mean, if anything, I was disappointed when it got to the end. I was like, oh, that's it. And even though it was a long time, but it was it was I mean every scene was like thoroughly enjoyable. And I think that's where it's such a master of a director. He can just milk those scenes and just get so much out of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's really I think he's he's earned the right because don't think anybody else gets.
Speaker 8: His film made, you know, like, yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for lots of reasons.
Speaker 1: I think for budget, but also the script, Like for a long time you're kind of wondering what the film's about and you and it's for me, it's a perfect example of a film that is just great to bathe in, almost like this just what let it wash over, you you know, and it's just it's just great to live in this world for you know, a little bit over two and a half hours. But I remember what the first time I watched it, and I've probably seen it five times now, I remember the first time watching it going what what's happening? Like what or why isn't anything happening? Like you feel like much was going on? But and I was really okay with it. But I remember thinking, Okay, when's it gonna when is it going to come and get to that next bit. And I think when they start when there's a time jump, I think it's six months when he goes through Illian does the the spaghetti westerns and then they use like time stamps and and and and Kurt Russell voiceover becomes you know, and he's got a date stamp as well. So I think that gives it that momentum for that last act of going, okay, things, this is where things.
Speaker 8: Is going somewhere. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I had the same feeling. I did think the same thing, but I wasn't worried because I felt like it'll definitely be going somewhere at some point. I really reveled in the fact that's set mostly in la Having lived in l A for a little while, seeing all the references, especially from that time period was exciting, like mussoa and Franks and and you know, Hollywood Boulevard and all those places along there. What I really what really hooked me in at the start though, was Leonardo's character. You know, he's having that meeting with al Pacino's character and Musso and Franks and our Patino's character tells him that, you know, like he always plays the villain and therefore people, audiences start to associate that with the actor, and therefore he's never going to be a leading man or a big star. And he really and Leonardo's character really takes that to heart and it really bugs him and that's sort of what drives him on for the rest of the film.
Speaker 8: And I've got to.
Speaker 3: Admit, being an actor and big part of this industry, it is a thought that crosses everyone.
Speaker 8: At what point am I just washed up?
Speaker 3: Am I just like do I need to just go and do something else, or you know, do I need to do something different or reinvent myself or It's definitely a thought that crosses every actor's mind.
Speaker 8: I think at some point.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I was going to ask you about that, like, like, do you feel washed up?
Speaker 3: I'm doing your podcast, mate, So just jokes cut that out.
Speaker 5: No, it's a really it's a really interesting thing.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, you do, of course take stock and think, Okay, what do the next you know, a few years look like. For me, I've always been extremely conscious that when I started doing a comedy, and I was twenty one when I started worked on stage for the first time, that this is a long it's a long play.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's a long term thing and too.
Speaker 1: You know, to be to make a living and to support a family over you know, a period of you know, for forty.
Speaker 5: Years or whatever it might end up being is is going to be really tough.
Speaker 1: And so you had to kind of think combine those choices with creative and and also kind of you know what actually is going to you know, bring you money. I've been lucky that I think I've made choices that fulfilled me both on both sides. You know, I've still said no to jobs that for a financial you know, for the purely financial calls. But you know, you know, I'm forty five and I'm going to go Okay, Well, when if I wanted, you know, I may want to work to do I die, But if I wanted to quit, you know, and just walk away from the industry, like fifteen years when I'm sixty, is am I going to be able to get away with that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: You know what your hope is for it to be at the choice to retire as opposed to you know, not having that choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah one, And I mean, yeah, luckily these days you have the gig economy.
Speaker 8: Like things like Uber and you've got a job.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like, it's definitely something that plays on my mind from time to time. It was interesting watching the film though, because at the same time I was watching that and there was a really I was thinking about it, But at the same time I knew that I was watching two massive starts to Capra and Brad Fitt playing these characters. So there was a kind of a weird already going on there as well.
Speaker 1: But none of the things the film a homage to movie making and Hollywood. Tarantino is also kind of tipping the hat to himself a little bit as well, I think, because there are a few things, a few almost a little in jokes, like Kurt Russell and Zori Bell being the stunt coordinators and they played like Kurt Russell stunt and Mike and death Proof and Zory Bell was also in that wash and but also the idea of the Sam want to make a character who is really a lovely performance. And he's telling Leonardo DiCaprio about the hippie makeup and Lena or Rick Dalton's kind of resisting that he doesn't they won't know it's me, and he's explaining to him, no, you know you're better than than this, you know, I want you to actually be the role, be the character. And Tarantina has has has taken people who the industry may have considered washed up, famously most famous who have John Travolin in pulp fiction. He continues to do it, you know, unlikely people who you know, the industry has kind of forgotten about. And Kurt Russell. Again he's done with with with Kurt Russell. But so I think it's also a nice tip of the hat to himself that you know that Sam want to make it, you know, it reaches his hand out to Rick Dalton to you know, to to have him out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's cool.
Speaker 3: I think yeah, and that's what That's one of the things I love about Tarantino.
Speaker 8: Is that he does that. And you know, yeah, Kurt russ Is.
Speaker 3: Another great example is probably why I went to Big Trouble, Little China because a big Kurt fan from the eighties.
Speaker 8: But yeah, even to be honest, I mean, even seeing our Pucino in a in a tarent in that role in in this movie was great.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wouldn't call out the Chino you know, washed up or one of yesterday's stars or whatever, but Tom probably doesn't have the massive profile that he used to have. But it was just interesting seeing him in a in a small, contained role, in a different role to the ones we generally see.
Speaker 5: It was it was it was so much fun. I thought that that you know, you know, two levels.
Speaker 1: It was fun because it was I mean those It was a really fun way to kind of go through Rick Dalton's you know, filmography and see all the stuff, you know, the bounty law stuff and which we know we see a little bit of that earlier as well, but then to go through yeah, that another tip of the hat, which is the film he makes when he takes the Nazis with Wayne Thrower, is obviously, you know, we have the tip of the hat to.
Speaker 8: Glorious cast and Chloris Barton and you know the line anybody.
Speaker 7: Or the Fried Sour Krat, anybody or Fried so very good.
Speaker 5: And then and then he's doing you know that Halla Balue show. He's doing the singing green doll.
Speaker 8: In this gulf of a little tree featuring.
Speaker 5: Good Parson.
Speaker 3: Behind the ring.
Speaker 5: It was a lot of fun to you know, to have those moments.
Speaker 1: But on the and on the other hand, like you said, the Opportuno's kind of the character Marvin Schwaz, He's he's playing you know, he kind of kickstarts Rick's you know, kind of journey into self doubt and and and the self torture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and he's the one who ends up. You know, that's why he gets into doing spaghetti westerns and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: Now, really cool casting. There's always great casting in his films, which is I think it's.
Speaker 3: Part the part of the rich why you go see one of his films is because he's got some really cool casting.
Speaker 8: Going on and you don't quite know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Brad Pitt wins Wins the Oscar for this best supporting actor. I must say I love Brad Pitt in this in this movie, and I love I'm a massive Brad Pit fan. I used to do in community radio many years ago. I think I may have mentioned this on the podcast and I had just seen Twelve Monkeys and I said to my my co host, James Brashers, if you're listening, that Brad Pitt will go down as one of the great actors of his generation. And he mercifully mocked me. And I just have to bring it up occasionally, just because you know, nothing will replace the feeling of being mocked, you know, and like because you can't. I can't prove twenty years ago that this was all going to happen, but I was confident. But now so when Brad Pitt wins an Oscar turns in another great performance, I just have to go no, I I saw this happening without all that said, though, I'm not surprisingly wins and Oscar for this performance. It's a really good performance. It's not the kind of performance usually wins an Oscar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's It's It's an interesting one, isn't it. Because Brad Pitt two has such a big name and m h and often you know, those big names don't win Oscars, like I don't, as Tom Cruise one on Oscar.
Speaker 5: Non nominated, but I think that close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it depends, I think, on the type of film too that you're in. But I look, I agree. I think Brad has really matured as an actor as he's gotten older, and and this role really felt like he was really comfortable in this role, and he just felt really yeah, relaxed, and I loved seeing him. You know, he's still a tough guy, but he just was pretty laid back in it. He wasn't trying too hard or anything like that. It was just a really nice, perfectly pitched performance. And it's a really cool character too. I just really like the character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was he was really fun to hang out with and all that stuff at the.
Speaker 5: At the Spawn Ranch.
Speaker 1: That scene, I mean, you know, when you think Brent Tarantina, you do think of these, you know, set pieces that you know he subverts your expectations, and when he gets to the Spawn Ranch one is just I mean it's Brad Pitts. Of course the cinematographer is you know, is you know half the job's done for him because but this I just loved that scene in particular, and it does happen quite a way into the film. We do get there eventually, and we should point out a lot of this is based on you know, the characters have been change, but a lot of it is based on real history. Spawn Ranch, you know, was where the Manson family kind of set up their headquarters. It was run by a guy called George Spawn who allowed allowed them to be there, and he had relationships with some of them, and and and that the person, I think it might have been one of the beach boys or a music producer, had actually gone out there and and after picking up them two I think it was two of the girls from the ranch, and took them back and they were hitchhiking.
Speaker 5: And so there's even that detail.
Speaker 1: Of Brad Pitt via hitchhiker is based on something that actually happened in the when he the guy slashes his tile or nice hist tire, there's a there's a cowboy in the background of his shop, and that's apparently a reference to there was one guy who was a ranch hand. He was he was the only ranch hand at working there at the time, and he was trying to convince George wanted to get these people, these who were bad, get rid of them and ended up disappearing, and supposedly his bloody parts were basically burying on various parts of the Wow. So it is one of those things throughout the movie you kind of have to come and keep reminding yourself that these are these are not nice people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know that that was that was the thing.
Speaker 3: I guess thats what you sort of so I knew that much about the film before going in, so I kind of always had this like just keeping an eye on when things were going to turn or go south or And I remember the him arriving at the at the at the ranch, at the movie ranch, and then wanting to go and talk to George and then all the cult members that have come out and don't and just wanted to leave and stuff. And that's when I started to get a little bit nervous, like, I know something's going to go down here. I don't know what, but there's definitely And Tarantine is so good at that. He's so good at milking suspense and just just really turning the screws ever so slightly, turning up the heat so that you really feel it. And I really wish I'd seen this in the cinema to get the full sensation of that feel to when it goes to meet George.
Speaker 5: My favorite tarantine It's my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: The Tarantino does what you just said, just those It's like a set play that is full of tension, and I think he uses the idea that you know, ninety five percent of the people seen this movie know a little bit and enough about the Manson family murders and what happened with Sharon Tates. So he uses that as us having that knowledge to you know, to increase the intensity. And you know, when Brad Pitt went into that house, in my mind, I was in no doubt. I didn't know enough about George Borne in the ranch, but I have no doubt that he was dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when he gets there and he's you know, he's snoring and he's got a grantagerous old.
Speaker 5: Man, you know, it's, yeah, it's not what you were expecting.
Speaker 3: But even that was really really great anti climax, Like I wasn't disappointed or anything. It was just yeah, subverted expectation again and it was it was great.
Speaker 1: You know, and then the scenes I over he is still because you know you still you know, now he's in a dangerous place and is he going to get out alive? And then he has the mix, you know, the the interaction with the guy who stuck a knife at his tire, but you know, tex text is coming and Texts has a feeling of like maybe being able to handle himself more so than this the guy who did that to his tire. So it's yeah, it's just the way the way that whole I was so impressive, The whole sporting ranch stuff.
Speaker 8: I thought it was was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, looks so cool. I mean, I mean all of it looks amazing. Like I was, just as I said, so many of the references. It was such a joy to watch them. But the other thing about the film too, in terms of the aesthetic, was I just couldn't believe the the amazing street scenes, like the driving for the streets of La even the freeways and that, and they still had really old billboards from the sixties and all these old cars.
Speaker 8: I'm like, wow, that is such a massive. The scale of that is.
Speaker 3: So huge, the those streets with all those old cars and all the artwork and stuff.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's just huge.
Speaker 1: The art design in this isn't just incredible. I think it may have also won the Oscar for that as well. Right and everything and Mayo Robbie said she's never felt so transported somewhere, like everything was was like real.
Speaker 5: It was the cars were real. The amount of.
Speaker 1: Extras that they had, the dress up and everything just felt like, you know, you were real. The permission they got the suit and to have the vendors in the boulevard allowed them to you know re you know, have facades at the redo there fa sad at the front, apparently a lot of them. I said afterwards, we're can we just keep it like this and this kind.
Speaker 3: Of you should just that's kind of just leave it. That's great kind of retros. So yeah, yeah, I know that it was really so it's so visually rich to watch. It was again, I wish I'd turned it on the big screen. Now you had all the lots of characters. Steve McQueen.
Speaker 1: Is in there, played by Damian Lewis, and and lots of obviously Polanski and and but there's there's one slightly controversial one. I will get your thoughts on it. It involves Bruce Lee. The portrayal of Bruce Lee, I just want to let's have a listen to the Bruce's interaction with Cliff Booth.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, So did I say something funny stun Man, Yeah, you kind of did.
Speaker 8: What's so funny?
Speaker 5: Look, man, I don't want any trouble.
Speaker 6: I'm just here to do a job.
Speaker 2: To laughing at what I'm saying. But I'm not saying anything funny. So what do you think is so funny?
Speaker 5: What I think is.
Speaker 6: You're a little man with a big mouth and a big chip, and I think you should be embarrassed to suggest you'd be anything more than a stain on the seat of Cassius Clay's trunks.
Speaker 2: Brother, you are the one with the big mouth, and I would really enjoy closing it, especially in front of all my friends. But my hands are registered as lethal weapons. That means we get into a fight, I accidentally kill you, I go to jail.
Speaker 6: Anybody accidentally kills anybody in a fight that go to jail. It's called manslaughter. And I think all that lethal weapon horseshit is just an excuse so you dancers never have to get in a real fight.
Speaker 1: So China refused to certify this film unless Quentin Tarantino edited this scene took it out.
Speaker 5: Tarantina refused to do so.
Speaker 1: Bruce Lee is seen like he is a massive cultural figure that he means a lot to a lot of people. I must say when I saw this, I could only imagine that it was kind of based on something that happened. I haven't been able to find, though, any kind of reference to it being based on a real incident. And yeah, I mean I haven't delved into the you know, the history of Bruce Lee enough. Luke McGregor was on the on the podcast a couple of weeks ago, and he this kind of this kind of upset hing the idea that, you know, the way he was betrayed, also that he was beaten in a fight by Hollywood studt Man.
Speaker 5: But you know it is it is good.
Speaker 1: He does come across as a massive as an American might say, jackass.
Speaker 3: Yeah look, I thought it was. I just again just really enjoyed the scene. But I have no idea of the historic accuracy or what it's based on. I guess I really just enjoyed it on the level of, Wow, here's these big name characters based on real people that we all know about.
Speaker 8: In a fictional context, a context in a film.
Speaker 3: And again that's what I really part of what I loved about this film, and it's it's it is a great scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a great and I'm kind of conflicted by because I love some of the dialogue in it. And yeah, it's a great little fight scene. It's funny at the end because you know the damage he's done to the car and Kurt Russell's just got him this you know, this gig and he's, you know, stay away from my wife and his sorry bell comes out and it's all it all goes pear shape and Click gets thrown off the lot. But yeah, I'm a little bit conflicted by it because you know, I feel like there should be some reverence to Bruce Lee, and way I feel better if this was real, even though that would mean that maybe Bruce Lee was a bit of a jackass.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it's true. He was a I mean, yeah, Bruce Bruce Layer. I mean, he's an icon.
Speaker 3: There was Interestingly, and I saw a snippet of a documentary on SPS the other night about talking about Bruce Lee and America's at the time inability to accept an Asian action hero as a you know, a leading man in a in a TV shot that was a very difficult you know, for Bruce Lee to break through in America was so difficult because it was just just, I guess, this inherent sort of racism or inability to accept anyone from outside, and so you get things like, you know, David Carodine playing the main role in in what was the TV show Kung Fu?
Speaker 8: Stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's kind of looking back now, it's kind of mind boggling, but at the time, yeah, it was a very real.
Speaker 8: Issue like something that that that he had to break through that.
Speaker 5: But yes, Breakfast of Tiffany to see Mickey Rudy's the Trail as the Chinese neighbor, which is.
Speaker 1: Just horrific and spoils what is otherwise a classic, you know, classic movie. What do you think of the the little backstory we get of Cliff and his wife and whether he killed his wife or not on the boat? I see as a Hollywood tip of the hats of the Natalie Wood Robert Wager situation. But I was a bit confused as what we were supposed to do with it outside of it kind of being this is another little yeah, like I said, Hollywood tipbit was was this guy that we kind of quite like and enjoyed. Did he speak and his wife? What information?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it certainly didn't go anywhere in the end, wasn't picked up and but but maybe the point was to just get like you say, put that, put that ambiguous thought in your mind and have you wonder and and maybe asked the question that you've just asked that can you still go on a journey and like this guy even though he may or may not have done this horrible thing in the past. Yeah, because in many ways that speaks to a lot of what's gone.
Speaker 8: Down in recent years in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in terms of, you know, there's these people who have had big, very successful careers that have have done some horrible things to get there. And at what would you say and us enough for like you know, I'm out.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: I did watch an interview with Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson when this film was released, just literally the week it was released. And Harvey Weinstein has obviously done a lot because the first twelve or so, I think I think unless it was the hate, this might have been hateful late maybe, uh, And Harvey Weinstein obviously done a lot of work to get these cinemas. X amount of Citizen has fit of out with the projectors so they could have the seventy milimeter And Tarantino says, you might want to take this back now. He said, when Harvey Weinstein one day dies, he's got one hell of a eulogy coming for me. I've got one hell of a great eulogy for him based on what he's done, even if he doesn't do anything else in his life, he's going to get a great religi for me. Well, you may you may want a second take on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not sure that one's going to pan out anymore.
Speaker 5: Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I love that he spends time with the character in like Rick Dalton's characters in the movies and the TV shows.
Speaker 5: That he's done.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, there's a great kind of scene, you know, when he's working with Timothy Oliphant and he's playing the bad guy and when he's loses his lines and he goes back to his trailer and he reps the trailer out which I believe this was all, and that leads kind of scene that Leonardo DiCaprio kind of came up with, and then then he kind of comes back after lunch and and and yeah and tarantine. I say, it's almost like you know, the you know, the showdown the Okay Corral, but it's kind of it's internal, it's it's about, you know, it's what's going on inside Rick Dalton's head. And he has to and you know, as as you know actors, you got to know what it's like to kind of when you're not inform And this is where I think some people don't think about that, you know, the courage of acting sometimes and the vulnerability actors of like, you know, it's such as the camera there's often you know, this crew around waiting for you, you know, and there's and they're they're all eyes are on you at times.
Speaker 5: And I remember one day I was in a.
Speaker 1: Sketch comedy show called Skit House, and I just I was the last chunk of kind of reasonably uninteresting dialogue. It wasn't that the jokes weren't here. I was playing like a corporate guy, but it was quite a long bit of dialogue and I just could not it were just not stick in my head and Dana Reed was directing and she was great, but we had like cut dialogue out because I just was not getting it out. And I remember this feeling with every tape that's the pressure was building and building and building, and it's a really horrible place to be where you are not finding what you need to find.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in that situation.
Speaker 8: Oh totally. And that's that.
Speaker 3: That's the exact scene that came to mind when I was thinking about them some of the more memorable scenes, and that's definitely.
Speaker 8: Definitely one of them.
Speaker 3: And you've probably because just you know, you've been there where you just it's just.
Speaker 8: For whatever reason, you're having a bit of a mental block.
Speaker 3: You can't get the line or you can't nail it the way that you need to, and you start to get you start to sweat. You're aware, you're just acutely aware of suddenly have all these eyes on you, not to mention your coast, your co actors who are doing all their stuff right, and they're just going, come on, man, let's let's get through this. Let's nail it and move on.
Speaker 1: This scene where his co actor is an eight year old a girl and she's she's doing over the cheese mess blue and that's it's love because when the scene finishes, you really feel you feel the relateds busy playboy lead out of DiCaprio.
Speaker 5: You know, let's have it. Let's have it. Listened to one side, that cold cotton mate, they've got the scene in the can.
Speaker 8: Okay, click click quick quarter there. Oh that was it really was absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 4: And your idea about throwing the little girl on the ground, that just worked.
Speaker 8: Like a jarp, you said, Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that was And that's what I mean by scare me evil.
Speaker 8: Hamlet scares people all right.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, Beaner Bronco Bustard, where the hell improv?
Speaker 5: Wonderful? That is a triple alliterative improv. Don't hear those peop?
Speaker 2: Okay, we're all good, don't need to go, No, we're done.
Speaker 8: That was fantastic.
Speaker 5: Are okay?
Speaker 8: Moving on?
Speaker 5: We're in the bordel.
Speaker 3: That was the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's well. DiCaprio is so good in that scene.
Speaker 1: And even when he's losing it and he's you know, he's saying I can't do it, and he tries to stop, and he kind of gets out of his chair and he kind of comes back and he's back, come on, he's refocused. He just does some things that are so beautifully dumb. It's he's a good yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, he's a great actor.
Speaker 3: So but he does really nail that that feeling of insecurity and frustration. And and finally he you know, after in that scene when he's young, co star says that was the best actor you've ever seen, and she wanders off. He sits there for a moment, and for a moment you think he's being humbled, like he's really just found his craft again, and he's and then he goes, I'm reddon or something like. He brings it back to ego and that I was like, Wow, despite all that, you've still got a very healthier go under me.
Speaker 8: Maybe that was the time.
Speaker 1: What I feel really interesting about this film is, you know, compared to other Tarantino films, it was just it felt completely different to me. I'm sure that you felt the same way. The dialogue wasn't as whip smart and snappy as you know. This probably and this sounds like a criticism it's not because it's one of my favorite Tarantino films, but it's not. It's not as quotable as as a pulp fiction, you know, or reservoir dogs.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's it just has its own pace. You're just swimming in it, and I don't know, I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's partly what I really liked about it too, because, like you know, often I go into Tarantino films with a slight apprehension because I know it's going to I kind of know what I'm going to get to us the you know, stylistically and that, and you know, I remember walking to Kill Bill, going, oh, here we go, gearing myself up to some gore and for that real you know, he's got to steal a ledge of tonally and it's great.
Speaker 8: It's like a thrill ride. But this was much more languid and much more.
Speaker 3: Had a much more gentle pace to it.
Speaker 8: And you know, he kind of you know that he split the.
Speaker 3: Main characters up, so they're kind of going on their own journeys too, and you sort of follow them for a while and.
Speaker 8: You go back to these you know, this guy doing this, and I.
Speaker 3: Kind of really like that as well, So I think it was a little bit of a departure from other stuff he's done.
Speaker 1: Margot Robbie when you make it, I thought she was just great. Forever impressed with what she's doing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean Margo's she's Yeah, She's was great as Sharon Tatee.
Speaker 3: And again just I think really captured that era and and the and the kind of the style of acting, and the and the the types of people who populated the industry back then, and the glamor and the kind of lifestyle and that. Like I think, yeah, I think she really It was kind of a small role in many ways, Like you know, you saw her a fair bit, but you know, she she wasn't instrumental in a lot of those scenes, but she's still a really strong presence. So I think she did amazingly well to give such a strong presence with a role that wasn't as big as some of the other roles in it.
Speaker 1: There was there was a question fired when they the world premiere was at the Calm Film Festival and a Jeremo asked both Quit and Margo Robbie about you know the fact that she wasn't in that much, and she had that much dialogue and and you know, you know, it was a veiled criticism and and Tarantina kind of shut it down and said, I disagree with your you know, your your statement. But Margo answered that, you know, I think more eloquently, and we gave more time, and she said, no, she's she's there too. You know, she's like a lightness. You know, she's the light in this movie. And and also knowing what we know that happens, you absolutely need that and you want to see that this is this is like a somebody who's full of life, and we know it's gonna it's gonna get taken away. So I think it's really important that we saw that. And I think the character also kind of represents, you know, the ending of.
Speaker 5: An era.
Speaker 1: You know, this was you know, people say the man's that Manson family Killings was you know kind of ended, you know.
Speaker 5: Kind of that kind of hippie kind of you know, free love kind of feeling.
Speaker 1: And even as far as within Hollywood, there was very much an open door policy, and that kind of after that doors got shut down, everyone was invited to all the narties and that kind of changed the way people kind of interacted and socialized, and so I think it's you need to see that, and I've got no problem with it not being through dialogue, been through you know, just seeing somebody in the in the prime of their life.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's I guess that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think I think she was still a real present presence in the film, and the fact that she knew that she was playing that iconic character of Sharon Tate and knowing, you know, the real true story of what happened to Sharon, she was her presence was.
Speaker 8: Was always there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean I didn't really need much more dialogue in a way. I think she definitely had that presence, and I think Margaret did a great.
Speaker 8: Job of that. She's come a long way, come a long way since when she first appeared in Review many years ago.
Speaker 5: Oh is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think before before Margot even did Neighbors and stuff, she had a small role in Review, one of the reviews that we did when we shot up with gold Cot. But yeah, now she's doing Taranturna Films and I'm just very happy for and.
Speaker 5: You're doing this podcast. Yes, Margot Robbie, the production was given.
Speaker 1: That's blessing by Sharon Tates sister deb and Margo times and and and she read that visited the set and actually even lent Margo some of Sharon Tate's jewelry to wear. Oh wow, Yeah, let's let's go ahead to the to the end. I mentioned it earlier, like you get these time stamps. And after he comes back to middle he's got he's got his wife, and he tells Clift that, you know, we can't afford to keep him on and the relationship is going to have to or the the you know, the agreement the parts she has to end. And then we yeah, it feels like, okay, now the momentum is happening.
Speaker 8: What you make the end?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I I was. I had to think about it. I had to think about it for a while because part of it was kind of I hesitate to say disappointed, but it was almost like I wanted I kind of wanted I almost wanted to see two alternative endings to the film, like, uh, kind of how it did play out and then and then versus how how how it was made in the film.
Speaker 8: But you know, on balance, I think that's part of the part of.
Speaker 3: The appeal of the movie is and what Tarantine I loves to do. You know, we've seen it before in Glorious Pastes, and is that he takes a well known historic story and characters and then puts a big what if what if it had turned out this way?
Speaker 8: And his interpretation of that and that was that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's I think that's the big funest part of the film really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it says a lot about like the ego of actors in a way, and the way you know, some actors stand on the shoulders of others in that you know, he's stunt man, he's really the hero of the of that last moment, you know, and he, you know, Leonardo basically gets explain Thrower or Eric Dalton gets his explain thrower and thens ends that you know, you know, a woman who's probably probably about to die anyway. And then he you know, we see Clip gets taken off now unemployed, you know, wounded, and he gets to kind of you know, kind of take the glory and meet Sharon Tate and you know, who knows who plans his next movie.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a nice comment I think also on on that culture as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that you just feel so sorry for Brad Pitt's characters.
Speaker 8: He's driven away in the ambulance and.
Speaker 3: Rick Dalton says you're you're a good friend, buddy, and he's just just waves and head off, and then you know, you just know Rick's.
Speaker 8: Going to go and take all the glory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's kind of a savage, a savage swap that we actually I'm sure has gone down many times over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the glory it's I did. I didn't laugh. I must say, let's talk about the violence. You're not necessarily your favorite thing. You mentioned going to these films a little bit apprehensive knowing that you're going to see some violent acts. There's so little violence before we get to the violence, and there there is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was quite surprised.
Speaker 5: And then then it gets really fun.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that, you know, the entrance of texts uh Walton his name is, and the two girls from the ranch when they recognize and and and Cliff's tripping off the on on acids. It's I mean, I had some laughs, you know before before I got really gory. But the the the can of dog fruits and a face pretty It's pretty funny. Also, the line of we need to try and work out who he who he is, and he says, I on the.
Speaker 5: On the devil, and I'm here to do the devil's work, which is apparently is a line that was was the real text world news when he went into the house on the that faithful night. But Cliff replies, like, nah, nah, it was something. It was something more stupid than that. It wasn't that stupid. Uh, you are on.
Speaker 4: The devil and I'm here to do the devil's business.
Speaker 6: No, I was dumber and that Some likes children text.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I quite enjoyed that, but then they get really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah god, but yeah again. I think that's what Tarantino has really mastered, is using violence and the building the tension up to the violence, and even in those moments where you know it's about to get really savage, but.
Speaker 8: You know, you've still got Brad Pitt making a joke.
Speaker 3: You've still got this air of like you never quite know what's going to happen, and people are joking around, and he really walks that line so well, so you're kind of like nervous. I was, I was laughing too, Like nervously laughing.
Speaker 8: That's funny. Someone's about to die really graphically now, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: But he does it so well, and you can go from laughing at an active violence like the dog food can to the to the face. I thought that was it was funny, and the dog really going for Texas nuts, you know, like, but then the redhead girl really just the amount of times he pummels.
Speaker 5: That was as well, Okay, this is less funny.
Speaker 3: And I really had to watch, not really nervously laughing anymore, no.
Speaker 8: Wanting him to be over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the little bit of a bit of a fun fact. The hippie who leaves was based on a real woman who she didn't believe.
Speaker 5: She didn't run away, but she stayed in the car.
Speaker 1: She was too nervous to go in, and she's just geared to go in and so kind of nervous to leave, so she stayed in the car. But that actress is Mayle Hawk, who is the the daughter of Ethan Hook and in the Thurman all right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, one thing I was slightly disappointed about was not seeing more of Charles Manson, which of course was Damon Harryman. Yes, and you know, just knowing Damon, and when I did see him was a real thrill.
Speaker 8: I was like, oh gool. And then unfortunately it didn't really appear again, and so I was a little bit like, ah, yeah, because we've seen him again.
Speaker 5: But when I heard that he being cast, I was so excited.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of us, you know Damon, know how good he is and what a great guy he is, and so everyone's genuinely excited. And it's still an excited he's in a Quentin Tarantino movie. But you know, we're just hearing what the movie is about. Okay, it's about the Manson murders. He's playing Charles Manson, He's We're going to see a bit of a bit of Harriman. And the screen time and it's obviously not as much as as you thought was interesting. He played Charles Manson twice in that In that year, he played or So in the.
Speaker 8: In mind mind Hunt, mind Hunter, yeah, Mine Hunter, Yeah yeah, but he gets a lot more screen time in that. Yeah, and he's amazing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Hey, that little fun fact.
Speaker 5: The Playboy Mansion scenes are shot at the Playboy Mansion.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about ol Coyote? The I think they must have shot at the real El Coyote. When I first one of the first times I went to La we went to El Coote because the next day we were so we were over in the state's filming review.
Speaker 8: This back in two thousand and nine or ten, and I.
Speaker 3: Remember going to El Coyote and we're having margaritas and stuff and talking about, you know, this is the place where Sharon Tate and her friends had their last meal. And I just remember the next day. We were driving to Mexico the next day to do some tuning down there, and the Americans that were with were like telling us not to go. They like begging us going. You're like, because at the time, there was these gang wars happening in Mexico and every day there was like just bodies being found on the streets and stuff, and we were about to go down there and shoot some scenes, and everyone just saying, you should not go to Mexico. I don't know if you're going to survive the trip. And there was just something about something sort of eerie about being an El Cody, knowing its history and having drinks with these people telling us that you know, this, this bad thing is probably going to happen to you.
Speaker 8: I don't know. That really hit me when I saw it in the film.
Speaker 3: I just was transported right back there into those seedy little booths.
Speaker 8: And then that restaurant.
Speaker 5: Did you get out of Mexico in life?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Fine, excell I know what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Hey, another fun fact. We love our fun facts here. It's Hay in one of the films that he makes. We got when he goes over there, it says it's directed by and Tony Margabta, which was the alias one of them users in Inglorious Bastards when they came out right and yeah, because they pretend they're like the tamed film directors and one of them is and Toni Magati. Okay, so that's that one. And also Squeaky played by who plays Squeaky the code fanning She would go on to attempt and assassination on us President Gerald Ford. Wow they're fun Dutch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're really See. That was the real time, wasn't it. That That was sort of the end of when was it said?
Speaker 8: What year? Wasn't setting sixty nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So it's a real transition period, wasn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Around that time. It's so turbulent, wasn't it Like just what was going on Vietnam War and assassination attempt some assassinations. It was kind of like that was the world that you lived in.
Speaker 8: It was like.
Speaker 3: Probably even even through the seventies and into the early eighties, you know as well. I mean John Lennon was assassinated when was it early eighties.
Speaker 8: Eighty eight eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like that was an accepted thing that could happen.
Speaker 8: I mean, you've been pretty shocked now.
Speaker 3: I would think if someone was, you know, if a political figure or someone was assassinated now in America, I mean, it would be kind of can't really imagine happening anymore.
Speaker 1: No, And that's saying something considering the craziness of these US politics at the moment. One other point I wanted to make about the film is I really quite enjoyed that they didn't have sex as a focus. I imagine it would have been really easy, you know, to have to include that in this a movie about a Hollywood actor and his thumman buddy, to have them, you know, chasing skirts as a way to you know, show them on the tear and how close they were.
Speaker 5: But it was I really enjoyed the fact that it wasn't a focus of.
Speaker 8: The film about that. Yeah, me too, me too, I mean, I yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I mean whether we whether or not, you know, bad Picture's character killed his wife in the past or not.
Speaker 8: I'm kind of I'm kind of glad we didn't go down.
Speaker 3: The total rat bag route of, you know, seeing these two guys who are actually essentially pretty bad dudes doing nasty things.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so I'm glad he was relieved about that. Yeah he didn't take up put his offer in the.
Speaker 3: Car, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but well, another quick the first assembly of the film was four hours and twenty minutes, so I'm not sure if Tarantino has released the obviously there were quite a few.
Speaker 5: Scenes, imagine we haven't seen. I'm not sure if they're available.
Speaker 3: Maybe he'll put it on into his at his little cinema. He's got a cinema on Beverly Buleivard.
Speaker 8: I think he's got it.
Speaker 3: He's got his own little cinema. That's this little cinema that he he he owns, and who knows that that could certainly end up in there. That'd be that'd be a treat. Yeah, four hours, four hours, twenty minutes.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you said you didn't want it to end when it did.
Speaker 8: But possibly four hours into it might watch.
Speaker 3: But now I was there, I was totally yeah, I was yeah, I just thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: And I was just.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I love films too, where it just you just sort of go along. It's just a cool tale, like it's a little tail you never coin. And it was one of those films where, well, it wasn't predictable.
Speaker 8: You know, you didn't know what you were going to get.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what the focus was going to be of the film, because, like you say, it was talked about in the press about being you know, the Sharon murders and Charles Manson and stuff and so. But one of the things I liked about it was a bit it was kind of the the.
Speaker 5: It was. It was.
Speaker 8: It was a story about that, but told from a different perspective and an alternative version of it. So, yes, that was really cool.
Speaker 1: I'm really I'm really glad you enjoyed the film, because it is it is quite a divisive film. There's a lot of Tarantino fans who don't get this film and I do feel like it does help to have a real love of movies and how they're made and the work that goes into them. And you know, Hollywood, I feel like if you're a bit apathetic towards those things, then this film could be you know, it could film a bit too aimless for you. And I know my Bridge did not necessarily take this film at all. She just you know, she wanted more stuff to happen. So I'm glad for you that you do enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was also you know, one of the things I really enjoy about watching great movies too, is is just watching.
Speaker 8: Great people at work.
Speaker 3: You know, you're watching these great performers, Like you know, I really enjoyed just watching Leonardo's performance, or watching Margot or watching Brad you know, do their thing, and like so for me often and when I'm watching a scene that can be enough, it's just like, wow, that was really great what they just did there.
Speaker 5: That is that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I mean to watch these two actors who you know, both started as kind of pin up boys and we were really sure, like took us a few films to come and maybe be convinced that are these guys can actually act.
Speaker 5: I mean Lenard DiCaprio. His first performance was you know.
Speaker 1: What's d in Gilbert Grape and he was fantastic in that, so I think he was, you know, great respect.
Speaker 5: That was he was younger man.
Speaker 1: And then he went through the Titan stages and you know, maybe something will fell off the the Caprio bandwagon. Brad Pitt just looks like Brad Pitt, so he had to work harder and convincing, convincing people and clean.
Speaker 5: My friend James Brasher.
Speaker 1: And there's a line where, you know, Bruce Lee says to him, you you're too You're too good looking for you.
Speaker 5: Aren't you too pretty to be a stunt man? And he said, there, that's what they say.
Speaker 1: That was a life and Bert Reynolds, Bert Reynolds was going to play George Spahn before before he died and then so Bruce Dern took the role. But Burt Reynolds, they said that the Tarantino when he said when he was told that Brad Pitt was going to be playing a stunt man, because Brad pan apparently doesn't like in films people pointing out his looks. He's got He's right quite a verse of that. But because it was a Bert, it came from Burt Reynolds, he allowed this to happen.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: It is great to see two great actors and surrounded by also great performance as late said Margo, Robbie and and others. What did you make actually the start? I haven't heard an explanation as to why he did it, but he puts me the casting lean out of the caprio and Brad Pitt, I'm sure have you noticed that over the wrong actor? So Brad Pitt, he's over lean out of the caprio and.
Speaker 8: I didn't notice that. I remember that.
Speaker 5: It's it's a it's a quirky little thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Huh, And you think that, you know, there's nothing story wise that you know in effects, you know, it's the credit sequence.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's a choice that Tarantino has made.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like it sounds like the film was mastered and printed and someone's gone, actually there is a tipeoat here.
Speaker 8: And they've gone, you know what, Can you be bothered changing it? Because I can't. I want to get home.
Speaker 3: He's just gone just play it as people know where they are, don't.
Speaker 1: My easiness, Thank you, so much for doing my podcast and they obviously pet Rockbottom but that's great. We'll be seeing you very soon in the third series of How to Stay Married, which we are shooting as we speak, and it's been a lot of fun. So they'll becoming in a couple of months time, in around about May in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: And yeah, mate, thanks for checking this out for us.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me mate, it was really fun see you on set.
Speaker 5: See you on set. That was fun catching O my great mate Phil Lloyd.
Speaker 1: He is such a love big bloke and a great mate and such a great talent. His ability to many appear in acting shows, but to write and to produce them is quite incredible. He's one of the true good guys of the Australian TV landscape and I was thrilled that he enjoyed Once upon a Time in Hollywood because, like I said, this film does it's a bit divisive. Some people just don't get it, but I'm glad he did. I want to thank Derek Meyers and Casway Studios Casswa Studios dot com dot you for all your podcast needs. We are recording this one over Zoom with Derek's help because we are in a short sharp lockdown a third lockdown email, and I hope everyone's doing okay, and hey, why not lean into some movies to help you get through? Like I said, hopefully its shortened sharp and by the time this goes, hopefully we're out of it and it's all behind us.
Speaker 5: Fingers crusted yasny.
Speaker 1: Podcast at gmail dot com is the address email address if you want to reach out and send me an email. Luke Simon's did that and he had an issue that he wanted to bring up with me. Hi Pete had recently discovered your podcast and I am loving it. I've been jumping around a bit to listen to the episodes about my favorite movies and saw the new release of Luke McGregor and Godfather Part two. I love the first episode, so jumped straight into this one and loved it. One problem though, here we go. Your final fun facts about Vida Collione being the only character to win two Oscars is incorrect. It was correct until the last Oscars twenty nineteen, and then Luke was kind enough he says, I'll give you a gap here if you want to try and guess who the other character is it is, and then leaves a massive space and if you want to guess now you can the answer is the Joker. He led to one Best Supporting Actor in two thousand and nine for The Dark Knight and Joaquin Phoenix won Best Actor in twenty nineteen for Joker. This might make a good fact for when you have an episode in the Dark Knight. Can't wait for that podcast. We will be doing The Dark Knight. Denise Scott has nominated The Dark Knight. We'll get to that at some point, but thank you so much to look for that email.
Speaker 5: Ego. Facts change and not all facts change. Something say the same, but some do.
Speaker 1: And that is a fact that has changed twenty nineteen with Joaquim winning for Djoker.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Anyone can hit me up yes Ne podcast at gmail dot com. Next week on the show, I'm very excited. We're going we look at a Ossie classic that has been It was lost for many years and resurface only about fifteen twelve fifteen years ago and it is possibly the greatest strainth film ever made. It is Wake in Fright Staring well as an Australian Royalty Jack Thompson Chips Rafferity, John Mallon and others, and we will look at Matt with a man who is has been a great friend for over twenty years and one of the great comedians of all time across the whole world. Mister Ross Noble will be chatting Wake in Fright next week on you Ain't seen Nothing yet. I cannot wait to have that conversation with him. If you haven't seen Wake in Fright, check it out. I think it's on stan in Australia. Check it out there. It is the movie where reviewing for nineteen seventy one, not the recent Channel ten version of it, which is a really good version actually, But we're looking at the movie from nineteen seventy one, So until then, looking forward to it. Look after yourselves, keep watching movies.
Speaker 5: Back the out
Speaker 1: And so we leave Old Pete, save man Salt, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.