Speaker 1: Christian I Connell Christian o'connalds show podcast.
Speaker 2: All right. So often on the show we have like a spillover from three topic Tuesday, which we did yesterday and we do every Tuesday where we do three phoners at the same time. One of the topics yesterday is still around, and it was what's the first thing you ever saved up money for? Because I think if you actually do take a moment to think about it, you remember the very first thing you actually saved up, whether it was your pocket money, your little piggy bank, or whether it's like from a Saturday job or a part time job. When you saved your own money to actually go and buy something with your own money, it was quite a moment in your life. This comes from Kim in Frankston. Christian I was just a show, yes, sir, I love the topic. The first thing you saved your money up for? This took me back to saving for a box of Dorn't pencils. Oh yes, ult that big sort of keyboard of them that the full keyboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the full seventy two was the If you had that, then you had all the colors year made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it was thirteen years old. This is all I wanted, Christian. Those pencils. They were the Rolls Royce of pencils. They came in boxes of twelve, twenty four. Then there was the really big one. I thought there was like a thirty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I'm provy. Twenty two had like two layers of pencil. You'd open up the box and then you would have the chocolate. Yeah, a Cigarett layer underneath.
Speaker 2: Box with favor food that you're eating the pencils, maybe out your way. A school friend had the twenty four box only had the cheaper faber castales. I remember those from school, favorite costelles. Do you mean that that used to grade pencils was like a two d or three hs or something? That the lead in them was Grady or something? And I really wanted those Derwins. I saved my pocket funny for money for months and finally had enough for a pack of twenty four. I probably went down to the news agents and asked a man behind the counter for them. He said, do you want the twelves, the twenty fours or the thirty six? I didn't know. Hang on a minute, sir, they come in a thirty six pack now, oh my god, the dilemma extra colors a bigger box. Was torn between taking immediately the twenty four packed there or holding out and saving extra for the larger This is a life lesson. Isn't about deferred gratification and what had done or what pats he would doe it? Just ate the whole twenty four Christian, I want to stick it to my friend with a twenty four box. So I held out for another couple of months to say, for the bigger one. The joy when I walked back in there to get the thirty six pack of owning those beautiful rolls Royce of pencils, the doors, the smell of the newness when I opened that beautifully illustrated hard box. It used to come in, that real hard box. It was the metallic.
Speaker 3: One, was it?
Speaker 2: Even you couldn't call it. It was a very flimsy tin. He used to put that in your school bag and just moving a shoulder again and the other shoulder on were just dent half of it. And the amazing selection of such vibrant, rich colors. I remember, It's amazing how you can still remember this, Christian. I wouldn't let anyone else use them, and slept with them under my pillow. That's so cool, only to be used for special occasions, coloring homemade birthday cards and stuff like that for mom and dad and all my school friends were so envious. So I was so proud until a few weeks later past the same news agents he had a big up in the window brand new seventy two bocks on My thirteen year old me did not to know how to swear, but that's how angry I was. Great Email Kim Christian. I still got my set of Derwin's seventy two in that ten brand new box. I've still got them unused from nineteen ninety holding on to them for one rainy day justin thank you very much for text mate Max.
Speaker 1: Same here are we Max?
Speaker 2: What was the first thing you saved up your money for a.
Speaker 1: Brand new Melbourne Star dregster when I was thirteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll be saving pocket money. Or did you have a little paper round?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I used to work selling papers and saved up and got me one hundred dollars and went to the end of the shop to buy it pay cash and me brother wanted to put it in the car to drive and bring it home. I said no, I'm riding at home. I paid for it.
Speaker 2: I bet you felt like a young man at that moment, didn't he won. You're handling cash one hundred dollars as well to a young thirty year old. It's an eye watering amount sort of thing that they'd rob a bank for. This is one hundred dollars. Then you're psychling it yourself, your own thing. I got this myself. None bought this for me. It's a real moment, isn't it. Oh?
Speaker 1: It was, It was. It was the turning point. It was just like I played for this. I wish I had it now because there was a lot of money now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Max, thank you very much and cool, take care.
Speaker 1: Helen, Helen Christian.
Speaker 4: I was eleven. I wanted this cassette player and I didn't care if I had to wait for a better one. I wanted this particular model and it was about thirty dollars and it was a Panasonic and it came in the leather case. And my dad said, oh, do you want to wait for another model? You know we'll get you a better one. No, no, no, I want this one. I want this one. And then I would go home and I would sit by the radio, Christian, and I would hit record and record my favorite songs off the radio and play them back on my cassette player. And you know, I used to sit there and wait for the songs, and I'd get really annoyed if I missed the start of the song.
Speaker 2: That I used to get really annoyed too when the DJ would talk over the end of the song, which I now do for a living.
Speaker 4: I know, now annoying.
Speaker 2: And DJ, you said, trash the last like forty seconds of the Beastie Boys. Shut up. Now I am that guy. This full circle. What was the first album you got on cassette?
Speaker 4: Then, well, the first single I bought was going to See My Baby Tonight by the Laddie Doves. And my first album was split with Mac Rumors. And I would lay by my records and I've still got most of those vinyls today.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's great, Hey, Hella, lovely talking.
Speaker 4: To you, Christian. Christian O'Connell Show podcast