Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Did your kids have at this age? Get so many rushes?
Speaker 4: Rushes, chafing, it's ointments and zinc powder.
Speaker 3: Every few weeks he's got a new kind of rash, this newest one.
Speaker 5: Now I think they get like nappy rush, don't they.
Speaker 3: Well, this one is on his penis, and so Bianke took him to the doctor showed the red mark. He said, okay, that's easy to clear up. You go to the chemist and get hydrozole. So I was sent to the chemist yesterday to get hydrozole, and I just wanted to make sure I had the right one that was suitable for babies. So I asked a girl and theile is this good for babies? She goes, I think it is, but let me just check with the pharmacist. So she goes up behind the big super desk that he has at the end, and I stay in the aisle because I thought she was just going to be a second. So I'm twenty meters away and the pharmacy is busy. I see her chatting to the pharmacist and he yells.
Speaker 5: Out to me from where I am you're kidding me.
Speaker 3: He's like, what's this for? I said, oh, for my son? He goes, what part of the body? Oh my god? Really across the store? Penis?
Speaker 5: Why man, this is on you? Why don't you then go shoud have shuffled up? You go and just moving through a close think quickly? No, I know you do you cover the distance?
Speaker 4: Poor Gordon and all the innocent customers, everybody in the row.
Speaker 3: Everyone's got to think it was for your.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'd be thinking, that you to embarrage it and go what a creep.
Speaker 5: But he hasn't even got a.
Speaker 4: Son hanging around and getting creams. Leave yourself alone, sir, well them arrest is what they're probably thinking.
Speaker 5: That's why it's all chafing.
Speaker 3: That why has he got the extra large tubes?
Speaker 5: At the star of.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show.
Speaker 4: Podcast Jack post with that was someone yesterday. It's a lovely guy, but during their breakfast did something odd.
Speaker 3: Very lovely man named Hugh Van carlin Berg hosts the brilliant podcast called The Imperfect.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he is the loveliest mall of the world.
Speaker 3: Ryes and I'm trying to become friends with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're going to be neighbors.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be neighbors with him soon. So I'm sitting at breakfast with him and getting along swimmingly and loving the stories he has to tell. And then he does something unsettling. Towards the end of the meal. We finished breakfast, he orders a second coffee. Then as they bring the coffee over, he pops a stick of chewing in his mouth, starts chewing and drinking the coffee while he's chewing.
Speaker 5: So he's deliberately preparing those two things.
Speaker 3: To hearing them together. He's continuing telling stories.
Speaker 5: Nothing happened.
Speaker 3: Nothing, What is happening? I can't even concentrate on his words anymore.
Speaker 4: And it was going swimmingly earlier. Now the swimming has stopped. Is drowning?
Speaker 3: I'm sinking food freak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is very strange. Do you think he's worried about his breath?
Speaker 3: Well, then how come you doing the coffee at the same time.
Speaker 5: Don't have that second coffee? Have a truth brush.
Speaker 3: I have the coffee at the coffee first, then have the sticky gun.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what people do sometimes it poper meant afters, but two at the same time says he's a serial offender.
Speaker 3: Seemed like something he did regularly.
Speaker 5: And does it now put your budding friendship in down?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm not in the all right?
Speaker 4: So do you are you a food freak? What it's the one thing you do? Or do you know somebody who we got here?
Speaker 5: Textre going I'm good? Text? So what is the food possible crime? I like to eat raw potato? Oh no, are you with the Russia Revolution trench or something? A raw So?
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 3: Unraw potatoes, a belly egg.
Speaker 7: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: Since a little boy I've always liked and where it started And in The Victorian.
Speaker 4: With charlester KENSI on a twist in a workhouse chimney.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Text, that is incredible. Text, thank you very much? Sure you call me lee? Are you a food freak?
Speaker 5: What do you do? Buddy?
Speaker 7: I'm not a food freak. But I used to work with a boat stewie who take a boy of his chicken rolls and then he pours a chocolate pigin in there, and then every time you take another bite, he would refill the chicken.
Speaker 8: Roll with chocolate figin.
Speaker 7: This is it was disgusting.
Speaker 4: That is the sort of thing you do when you're five, don't you. You know, you break into your mom and dad's pantry when there's no one home.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 7: He thought he was killing two birds with one stone.
Speaker 4: That is the best one so far, Lee, That is unbelievable. Jay said, so, what's your food crime?
Speaker 9: Just want to start off? I say, I'm not proud of it, but it's just a psychological habit. Now. So you know the red red frog for lollies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the old Alan is Alan's Red Frogs, isn't it. Yeah, that's in the packet.
Speaker 9: Go to go to Dolly. Can't beat it anyway. So I used the top of the red frog where it's got like the indents, to make out that as a frog, and I rabbed the top of the red frog on my top lip before I eat it.
Speaker 3: What do you me?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure that's episode one of Dharma.
Speaker 5: That's how it ended. He just started to get a taste for it like that.
Speaker 9: What so, I just I just like the feeling of it on the top of it.
Speaker 4: You're like the rubbing or the or the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just so so like a lickmossage.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I like that. It's just really good. I mean not to try it.
Speaker 4: When I got home with row potatoes and rubbing myself with red frogs.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 4: This week's one second winner has got a slight twist on it today. All these songs the titles are all the artist's locations. Ish, I'm looking at one of them.
Speaker 5: Oh boy Friday, Right, are you guys ready? Okay?
Speaker 4: One second of a song the title is a location.
Speaker 5: Ah, yes, well, now I'm your jack Post from nineteen ninety five Pritte song, All right, what about this Patsy? You should get this.
Speaker 4: Vegas Songs Easy nineteen sixty eight The King, all right, what about this Patsy?
Speaker 5: This is another one in your.
Speaker 4: Wheelhouse Waterloo, Ebba, please promotus. Patty's had a power comeback, Jackie boy, stay in the game. This is kind of to do with the location. If someone was asking for directions, you might say this hard.
Speaker 3: Oh electric haven you who sung that Edie?
Speaker 10: Someone?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 5: I can you that Eddie Grant?
Speaker 4: A bit of a change of Waterloo in Vegas in California?
Speaker 5: Isn't it an avenue? Bit of electricity? All right? Who's this.
Speaker 3: Around the world? That's stuff punk.
Speaker 4: Weld from nineteen ninety seven year fans in Nano. All right, let's finish with this one.
Speaker 5: Who is this?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: Nutbush city limits, Tina Turner.
Speaker 5: Patsy, Patsy, Patsy.
Speaker 12: I believe that's no limits, not really really no no, no producers to defend himself, right to reply.
Speaker 3: Nutbush is a place in Tennessee. It's a famous music location.
Speaker 5: Really it is. Okay, he was hot, he was ready.
Speaker 3: I think he's so happy like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, world out, Patsy.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast, Christian O'Connell's Golden Moments coming down to the Games in Paris. Steve Hooker in the two thousand and eight Beijing Olympics winning gold in pole vault.
Speaker 5: There was three of.
Speaker 12: Us that were clear favorites. Brad Walker was number one ranked. He jump six oh four, a new American record, and yet Getty Kin and co.
Speaker 1: From Russia.
Speaker 12: I had jumped six o one and I jumped six meters, so it was clear that the competition was going to come down to us. I felt confident that I could jump one more high than you have, Genny, and that was always the strategy. Just back yourself that you're going to jump the next height. My training partner Paul Burgess just said, how are you feeling, and I just said to him.
Speaker 1: I think I'll win.
Speaker 12: I didn't sleep really the night before the competition. I started putting together a playlist that I was going to listen to in my warm up, and I just put the word gold in there.
Speaker 5: I made that this.
Speaker 12: Whole playlist of gold, and I was like, this is this is the last piece of the puzzle. I'm fully ready this competition. I've got my gold playlist.
Speaker 5: I'm going to win gold.
Speaker 12: The twelve finalists line up and they read us out and the crowd responds to your name, and it's a big moment, like that's a big, deep breath moment. I started to feel good. At five meters ninety, I missed my first two attempts.
Speaker 5: Ye Genny had.
Speaker 1: Missed his first two.
Speaker 12: Attempts as well, and when I heard the crowd grown after he missed his third attempt, I knew that I had an opportunity to win. It was completely in my own hands at that point, and it went from being the hardest competition, really difficult circumstances to jump into the easiest jump that I ever did in my life. I felt like I was sort of out a body, almost not really even thinking about what I was doing on that jump, in a complete flow stage.
Speaker 1: As soon as I picked up the pole.
Speaker 12: My body just started running down the runway and easiest jump I did of the whole night, big clearance, and you know, as a pole vowler, you get this moment where you clear the bar and you know you've won and you're still six meters in the air and you get to get to fall back to Earth and then celebrate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hit the mat.
Speaker 12: I only had one gold. At the same moment in time, my coach had jumped the fence just sprinted towards me. He was wearing bare feet, which was a superstitious thing that he'd done.
Speaker 5: But I was like, what's he doing? I'm going to get the squalified? Do you see me?
Speaker 12: Kind of like almost panic in that moment where I'm like, am I going to get deq'ed? Because my coach is running.
Speaker 1: On the track here?
Speaker 12: And then he left and I went celebrated with the whole bunch of my teammates. And that's my favorite moment, is that moment kind of jumping up and down in trying of my teammates from the athletics team, from the broader Olympics team, and I turn around squat down and it hit me that I'd won.
Speaker 5: And there's an image of that.
Speaker 12: Moment where I'm like, I'm sort of squatting on my haunches and you can just see this realization on my face of what's just happened about hitting home. And that's the picture that's in Mum and Dad's.
Speaker 1: House the Christian Know Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 5: They're training not to be a barista.
Speaker 4: So anyway, she was working Sunday doing a shift and she was cleaning someone out in in the back kitchen and there was a pot of boiling hot oil and she scolded her sound really bandage. I blisters all over both of her hands. So they had to send her home. And then so I went to the chemist, the pharmacist to see what cream and bandage design need to do right to the comfortable. So what is it as well about the pharmacist. It's they love to query everything, don't they. You take your prescription in from a man of medicine who's trained hard a doctor, and they go to put you on that for they go the doctor. You know, he does it day in day out, the doctor. He sends me here with this.
Speaker 5: You have a look at it. You go get it from those giant mega draws. You've got.
Speaker 13: You go.
Speaker 4: Then they're trying to tell you what, there's a cheaper one just over there, cheap one over there. Then when they handed to you, like whenever, whenever you're allowed to get to get your medicine, they always go take it twice a day with food.
Speaker 5: You go. I know that it says that.
Speaker 4: Tight out on the thing you're ging to me. Anyway, the guy, the guy that was very healthy to wrek creams to get. But anyway, when I said my daughter, she scolded her hand okay, and he took his. He had these very sort of you know, peznes, old school glasses off. He took them off and he went. He looked at me solemnly, and he went. Kitchens the most dangerous room in the house. All right, buddy, where's the cream? What a bandages?
Speaker 5: Let's end this now.
Speaker 3: Was it a word of warning, like we shouldn't go into the kitchen.
Speaker 5: No, he was just saying, don't even get me started.
Speaker 11: Day man and boy, kitchen, this kitchen that when when it ends the humidity, because he told me it's the most dangerous room in the house, the kitchen.
Speaker 4: We want to hear about your kitchen injuries. Okay, I bet quite a few of these involved avocados. Aren't they the most dangerous thing to take on in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing a news article about cutting avocados, and people would slice through their hands because.
Speaker 4: They're fitty little buggers, aren't they. You put them in like a grenade. They're the grenade of nature. You put them in your hand. And he trying, this is only a soft little thing. I'll be a slice through you.
Speaker 3: And I put on the oven glove to cut an avocado because they said that.
Speaker 5: You and get a wiki keeper's glove.
Speaker 3: You can cut through and cut slicely palm in your hand open.
Speaker 5: How can you don't get that tactile thing. It'll be all slippery.
Speaker 3: You can my knife hand is unsheathed avocado holding hands.
Speaker 4: Inside the oven glove. This is amazing. So I want to hear about your kitchen injuries. You've got a devastating store. Get a beer, I said.
Speaker 3: When you asked me, do you have any kitchen injuries, I said, I've nicked my thigh on a knife, So don't come to me.
Speaker 5: If you're a survivor, you're a survivor. This guy's a survivor. Is that we're lucky to have him? Guys, we're lucky to have him.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're looking for these kitchen injury stories telling what happened to the kitchen mate doing.
Speaker 6: The dishes after a Sunday raast carving knife, slippery hands, straight through the.
Speaker 5: Foot well, in between the toes.
Speaker 7: Or just above the toes, straight through the food end of the floor.
Speaker 5: Oh my word. So were you sort of stuck to the floor. I was, yes, So what did you do to get yourself free?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I just sort of wiggled the knife a little bit.
Speaker 5: This is medieval torture game inquisition. You're giving yourself down?
Speaker 6: Yeah, true, Yeah, then wrapped it up in a tea towel, hobbled out, put my foot in the glove box, and then drove off the hospital.
Speaker 7: So it wasn't and blood everywhere in.
Speaker 3: The gart put your makes you sound like the whole thing was seven off your legs.
Speaker 5: You won't driving the car, were you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 5: Pates. You're leaning across your flexibility and the calls the impressive Dane.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that happened many years ago at Christian.
Speaker 6: So yeah you still got the little scarf.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, wow, Dane, incredible story. Thanks for killing mate, Thank you, thank you. D Okay, So what happened in the kitchen?
Speaker 10: So that was actually my mum.
Speaker 14: She likes to make cakes as a hobby, like you know, the really big, fancy cakes. So she baked your cakes one day and she was slicing the top off because you have to have a flaptop to be able to ic it, and she was cutting through it and it sliced through.
Speaker 10: The cake and through the pad of her thumb.
Speaker 14: So there's blood everywhere, blood or through the cake. The cake's ruined. Can't use the cake anymore, So we rushed her off to the hospital. After I think six or seven hours in the ear, she decided that she wanted to go home and see if she could save the cake, which obviously couldn't happened because there was one it's all through it. But yeah, she didn't end up getting stitches or anything like that. She decided decided to put bandages over it for a couple of weeks and people would heel over.
Speaker 5: She is hardcore of the fact she was about to go back and finish that cake off.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, once the I thing is, I know one will know there's blood inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, take out. It's lovely chammy sponge now whether chewy plaster.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast, we're taking your stories today about kitchen injuries.
Speaker 5: After a pharmacist told me that the weekend.
Speaker 4: The kitchen is the most deadless room in the house, we're testing it out today with your kitchen injuries.
Speaker 5: Allison, what happened in the kitchen?
Speaker 15: I had a bad incident with the microwave, saying the tight ass that I am. The little globe you know that lights are up inside that went out, So I totled off to the shop, okaid, I'll think about sixty bucks for the little globe, so I'm still less than the price, and microwave went home, got the little glass sing off that covers the globe, got the globe out, Everything's going fine. I couldn't quite reach in to get the globe back into the socket.
Speaker 5: So what do you do?
Speaker 15: You put your finger in there to find out where the hole is, don't.
Speaker 5: You absolutely do not? And then you turned into a light bulb. Did you a little bit like that?
Speaker 15: And the reaction, the jerk reaction from getting from the.
Speaker 5: Shop, you get lying back, don't you. Well.
Speaker 15: I also took the microwave back with me, and of course it flew off the bench. So that was the end of it. Electrocuted, no globe, no tune table, and just shuck the whole thing out.
Speaker 5: Allison stayed there. That's a great story, very well told you about it.
Speaker 4: That's you okay, though, Michelle, Hello Michelle, what is your story of a kitchen injury?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 7: Dear.
Speaker 10: I was young and I was getting something out of the freezer and saw it was all nice and powdery, and so I decided I'd lick it. And I got my tongue stuck to the freezer the side of it, and I was trying to yell, you know, to help from my mind, like.
Speaker 5: Dumb and dumber when you start to the ski lift.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, And you can't quite yell when you've got your tongue out of the and so I was trying to. I was trying to pry it off, and in the end I just had to do the big rip and it ripped out.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh.
Speaker 10: Out, I've still got a little hole like an indentation where where if you.
Speaker 4: Grew back a little, Yes, but dips in your.
Speaker 5: Tongue, aren't you? I know.
Speaker 10: My mom. I was so embarrassed, but I had to go to my mum and she thought I'd lost her tooth.
Speaker 4: I'm still got the image now that for my week So after it's in the freezer, there's some of your tongue on the side there, like it's growing harvest and organs or something.
Speaker 3: Probably keep it in there until science works.
Speaker 10: Out how to put it back on, until monkey frusted it.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: I really am in the doghouse this weekend, and maybe for longer, or can you help me get out of the doghouse? So one of my daughters was pressurizing me to you know, it's like Pats, you see, always just under pressure. There's no delay, there's no sort of delayed gratification. It's now no better live in the internal present. They're very a cart told, They're very the power of now. Anytime I get a message, it's like can you pick me up? I don't even say when I'm already leaving the house. It's like now they don't even presume you'll have plans the mountain times I've just had to leave the gym mid workout. I've just got there to go and get a kid from somewhere anyway, so they're going, it's school shirt now, and.
Speaker 5: So I was like, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I started try and get the ironing board out, which is a nightmare just getting out because it's like shoved somewhere is it's never in a convenient place, and says we haven't got time for that.
Speaker 5: I need it now. So I just laid a.
Speaker 4: Towel down on the dining table. I need to explain, Okay, the dining table we had it shipped over is very important to my wife.
Speaker 3: And it's a beautiful table.
Speaker 4: It's a lovely table, right, and we've had it like fifteen years. Every single photo of like the girls having a birthday party at home in an old house is all around that table. We've had kitchen at Christmas dinners on that table, New Year's celebrations. It's a big part of our family that my wife loves the table. You're not allowed to put a hot drink down there without a coaster. Who certainly aren't allowed to put a flipping grape steam wine. Traditionally they are hotter than a hot tea hotter steam iron and a low fimsy towel, and like home, working in the drying cleaners. And of course I didn't realize what was happening underneath it. I was making my own kind of turing shroud. On that table there is a big, vivid stain. I guess I must have steamed the wagons off.
Speaker 5: You've seen it.
Speaker 3: I have seen it.
Speaker 5: It's an clee as my wife said, ugly vivid stay.
Speaker 4: That's rather big too, a huge so, as you can imagine, this is put a little bit of a damner over life generally.
Speaker 5: That weekend, Sara actually said, I'm not even want to go out this weekend. Life will be okay.
Speaker 4: I reckon if I said, listen, I've just had some terrible news to adoptive and he got like a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 5: But we can do about that stain. It's going to die.
Speaker 4: So obviously there's been a lot of people giving me what I call home remedies. I don't know if any of these work. I mean some of the comments samear it with mayo, leave it for a few hours overnight trust me, it works.
Speaker 5: How is mayonnaise going to work?
Speaker 3: I mean, you've taken the top layer of it off.
Speaker 5: Do you need you to help me out? Right now? I know what I've done, you know in this morning? I saw it at five am.
Speaker 4: It's there, the moment you walk into the kitchen and go, oh god, it's there.
Speaker 3: I think. The only thing you can do is strip the whole table of the wax and then start over the top of it.
Speaker 5: Why how do you even do that?
Speaker 3: Take the iron to the whole, the whole thing?
Speaker 5: It should? Try out?
Speaker 4: Fine, I had this happen to me. You just leave it and the spot was gone. Nothing ever gets better by just being left alone.
Speaker 3: That's how I try to fix everything.
Speaker 4: Try rubbing the side of a walnut into the wood grains. What are these medieval cures? Iron again, gentle heat? No steam users, ol, steamers? What got you into this mess? So steam's what's going to get you out of it?
Speaker 3: All right, dad, it's definitely not gonna work.
Speaker 5: You could try furniture restorers oil. Where would I it? Guess I've done enough damage? Whe Am I going to find that sand it back? Restain it? Try that? Christian? What about buying. I've got an ironing border. K these comments aren't happening.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 4: On the show, then we do something called funny business, which is our look. All over Australia, you're our spotters, our eyes, and indeed all over the world. We're looking for literally out funny business names. Weird, unusual funny business names. You know sometimes you see one on a van or when you're driving around a business that have got a funny or an unusual name and they actually make you smile.
Speaker 5: The good ones we want to hear all about them. You can call me.
Speaker 4: You can also email them Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au.
Speaker 5: All right, so new ones. This comes from Michelle Christian.
Speaker 4: I was walking around warn and Ball the other day saw a window for funny business.
Speaker 5: How it gives you a chuckle.
Speaker 13: This is.
Speaker 5: Jane Doe as in d o u Ge Bakery. Yeah, very good idea smart.
Speaker 4: We like that one Christian has a plastering company near me called Apollo Screed today instead of Apollo Creed.
Speaker 5: That's actually very good. I like that one Apollo Screen is great.
Speaker 4: Christian in the Southern Highlands and New South Wales air conditioning business near me called stiff Nipples.
Speaker 5: Dear me, welcome to Australia.
Speaker 4: They need that on the come to Australia for your holidays, stiff Nipples.
Speaker 3: There's so many chances like when you're getting an ABN when you're registering your business, then you actually have to.
Speaker 4: Put that on official forms register with the tax Department and the government. Greg Brogan listened to the show on the iHeart platform in New South Wales.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for.
Speaker 4: Your stiff Nipples spotting there and Christian TAXIDERMICI saw the other day rest in pieces. That's good your spottings this week for funny business. Let's go do, Tim, what's your funny business?
Speaker 5: What have you seen?
Speaker 10: Okay, I've got a funny business name called Ferrari Mobile dog Groomy.
Speaker 4: Ferrari is good. Actually that should come on in. Whoa Tim, Yes, you're a hole of famer for Ferrari. Wow, it's a big come doown. There's beg anti climb. Actually it's probably not what we thought it would be to be in that hall of you know. I think we should also put in stiff nipples as well. That's the reaction if you do get inducted into the Hall of Fame just to lower your expectations.
Speaker 5: It's a big old oh my, oh god, it's terrible. Hasn't actually made any difference in my life? Ashley. OHI Christian, I'm good, Ashley. What have you seen then for funny business?
Speaker 6: I've got a food truck. What's called feeling prawny?
Speaker 4: Feeling prawny? Yes, very good, Thank you very much, Ashley. Jackie, what's your funny business?
Speaker 10: It's my brother's business and it's a gardening business.
Speaker 6: It was guns n' roses.
Speaker 5: Oh so good.
Speaker 4: Wow, favor Now Jackie, did your brother did you do any brainstorming with the whole you know, idea of what he was going.
Speaker 10: He's just very funny.
Speaker 6: He wanted iron a bar as well, and call it the faddy Womber.
Speaker 8: This's just funny.
Speaker 5: This is funny.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Christian Connall's show podcast Christian know Connall's Golden Moments coming down to the Games in Paris.
Speaker 4: Stephen Bradbury at the two thousand and two Salt Lake City Winter Games, putting gold in the one.
Speaker 2: Thousand meters short track speed skating final.
Speaker 13: The morning of is so exciting. The adrenaline is pumping nervous energy. That's what an athlete lives for. I remember sitting in the change room and you could just feel the energy in the stadium, even underneath it. In the change room, sixteen and a half thousand people chanting in American superstar Apollo Ono's name. I knew that I wasn't as strong as the other skaters in the final, and my head told me that I needed to stay out of the way because there's a good chance that some of the other skaters in the final would go through each other. Olympic Final in Salt Lake City, nine laps for one thousand meters. We're coming into the final turn. I've dropped off the pace ten or fifteen meters and I see the Chinese skaters joy a short Leo try to move on the outside of a pollow, owner he doesn't make it. They bump and he goes down. Remember from there, the other three we all got tangled up. I saw them out of the corner of my eye all slide off into the barrier. At fifty kilometers an hour from there. I knew that I didn't have to skate.
Speaker 9: All I had to do was glide.
Speaker 13: I was going to cross the line first. I wasn't sure what the appropriate reaction was in those moments, wasn't sure if I should celebrate or go and hide in the corner. And it took quite a few minutes for the official result to come through. But when I finally came through on the jumpbotron with the gold medal the name Stephen Bradbury next to it, was a pretty awesome way to finish something that had started twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: The metal ceremony, my feelings.
Speaker 13: Are probably still the same now as they were there. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be the guy who won the gold medal because the whole world fell over in front of him. I get it that I deserve it, but I'm the luckiest individual Olympic gold medals in the history of sport. So that didn't sit one hundred percent comfortably with me when I was going up onto the podium, and to be honest, it still doesn't sit one hundred percent comfortably with me today. But when the Australian National anthem started to play, all those emotions were put aside and it felt like there was a minute and a half.
Speaker 14: That was my.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: And let me just describe what happened to him. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: They having the dinner, and it's in a some kind of ballroom somewhere at a hotel, one of those big function rooms. The principle is speaking, and everyone's all around the side of the dance floor. Mid speech, right, crack a great big ceiling panel and I'm talking, like he said, a couple of meters by a couple of meters just just falls drops, suddenly and violently onto the middle of the empty dance well.
Speaker 5: Luckily on top of it is a terrified looking possum. People are like this.
Speaker 4: The possum, obviously terrified, starts running a mock. My friend described and he described the scene next as a kind of Mexican wave of screaming as the possum ran amongst women's legs and stuff like that, and the screens were spreading across the room left to right as men tried to sort.
Speaker 5: Of get hold of the possum and catch it.
Speaker 4: Why an amazing moment, right, I mean, there's probably schools listening right now, worried about a dull speech drop a possum from the ceiling. Suddenly you've got a talking moment there. That's a great and the next stand up show, I'm going to plan that, what a great one.
Speaker 3: There's a mic drop, but then there's a possum drop one level above.
Speaker 4: So with this, I want to know when you were in a situation at that and you realize there's an animal, there's an unwelcome visitor, and then also what did you do to try and get rid of it. Someone caught it by the way, took it outside and it was like a nice hotel. It was like thet I don't know where it was, but like a nicer down just put it out on the street like I was going to get a taxi home.
Speaker 5: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, we're looking for your stories about unwelcome animal visitors and how you try to get them out.
Speaker 5: Hello, Rod, what was the animal? Unwanted animal visitor enhancement? All right? What happened?
Speaker 6: And yeah, Well, I got up in the morning, put my pants on, went into the toilet. I was standing at the toilet and I felt something on the inner thigh of my leg inside the pants. Thought that don't feel right. I pulled my pants right to the floor and there's a huntsman.
Speaker 5: There are we talking? Top of the inner thigh?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, too close for comfort, very close.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I've just flicked it onto the floor and yes.
Speaker 4: That's your excuse. Yeah, when your wife came in, that's it. Yeah, right, thank you very much. You call Let's go to Maria.
Speaker 10: Now, Hi, guys, I've also got a person story About five point thirty one morning, my husband and I got working up by a noise in our kitchen and he pretended to be asleep. So I went to see what it was.
Speaker 5: That's a guy with that, isn't it pretend to be asleep.
Speaker 10: And it was a massive fresh time possum sitting on top of their fridge. Closed, all the doors opened up the front door, got an apple and tried to get it off the fridge, and it started following the apple.
Speaker 5: Everyone loves a fresh apple, don't they.
Speaker 4: You can lead me astray quite easily in the back of the car or the offer a fresh apple.
Speaker 10: But just as I got to the front door, my husband came out to see if I needed any help.
Speaker 5: Oh no, he turns late to the party.
Speaker 10: When monistic and Christian. Your story made me absolutely laugh, because when possum are scared, they will wait and pooh. Every week.
Speaker 4: I forgot to mention that one said there was a horrible smell all right, and they were trying to work out which teacher was going to have to clear it up at this valedictorian dinner.
Speaker 5: So this is in your house.
Speaker 4: You must have been filthy with your husband as well, because you almost had it out the door like a like a bouncer getting it out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but now he scared it and it just went nuts.
Speaker 5: Maria, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: She cool.
Speaker 5: Love that. Matt. What's your story about an unwelcome animal visitor?
Speaker 8: Ah, We'll go back when I was a cue. It was about two in the morning. We all got woken up the family to this really high pitched screeching in the living room. It was coming from the chimney and Dad's trying to figure out what's going on. So he's put his head in there and he's figuring it out, and he's like, I think I can see a bird flapping around. He's like, how do we get it out? So he's like do I light a fire? I'm like, don't do that, and he's like, well, it's going to stink out the house if it dies in there. So all of a sudden, don't you took about two minutes. It wasn't a bird that came flying out. This giant that came flying out of the fireplace.
Speaker 5: Quick when they start darting around, that's so.
Speaker 1: Quick, man, it was.
Speaker 8: It was quite chaotic. It woke us up, that's for sure. So this that's flying through the living room knocking into windows, well, yeah it was. It was ridiculous. But managed to subdue the bat. I don't know how that did it, but.
Speaker 5: Everybody came there. It's a very exciting episode. Mister, have a chat about it. What's up is.
Speaker 8: Now known as the bat Whisper. It was quite an interesting experience. I had school the next morning, and that was quite a good tale to tell. No one believes me, but I can tell you it was true from the amount of proved that I was coming in that. Yeah, so that was interesting. But man, I tell you what, I love animals, but they are not pretty animals up front, it was it looked like the spawn of Satan.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tually, what when todayvid anburgh Funny leaves his planet. I think we've got his replacement but just be awful if you ever come across a bat on this hot or not?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's not.
Speaker 5: Matt, Thank you very much, your great story.
Speaker 1: Mate, Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 5: Look your dairy songs, dairy songs? These are stinking It isn't a nice cheese. Dairy songs? You know what the cows love to listen to. Yeah, in their barns. That's little move is it moves like jagger? Silver is as good as it's going to get cow? Will I know?
Speaker 13: Can?
Speaker 12: Will I know?
Speaker 3: Gold?
Speaker 5: You got a friend in me? You got your gots are friend in me.
Speaker 4: I won't greet then your own personal cheesus silver plus I bet that you look gooda on the dance floor.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 4: And sorry seems to be the hardest cud. Cud is how they get the cheese, the cud you know, sorry seems to be the hardest cud in seat of words. Oh yeah, soft ending from me, jackie boy. What have you got dairy songs?
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, we're the milkies. People say we milky around silver.
Speaker 5: He's trying generous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody girts.
Speaker 5: Gold, that's gold. Everyboddy girts that's good? All right? Any more dairy songs.
Speaker 3: I'm like a curd nulli potado.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Silver video you caught the radio star.
Speaker 5: Gold finished, Yeah, well done? What on you did? Good jack post, You're in tomorrow. Let's do it GOODA vibrations Silver plus.
Speaker 4: Hoof loose, hoof loose, Gold, Let the cows out, Moo, Moo moo. Silver, put an Adrian Feta man pill jam Feta man, Gold, Kerry, well done, Another day in Paradise, Another day in Paradise.
Speaker 3: Gold.
Speaker 5: I gotta say that's from Phil Collins.
Speaker 4: Realized that's obviously the artist's name, you Phil, Fly me to the moon Gold, mad.
Speaker 5: Me laugh at him? He keep breaking Havati.
Speaker 4: Silver, Jenny under Pressure, Silver, working class Cow Bronze.
Speaker 5: You just put cow in there out of the name. What about this one same person?
Speaker 4: Hotel cauliflower and they mean couliflower cheese bronze.
Speaker 5: Don't even give it an When I think about you, I milk myself. That's just a line for myself.
Speaker 3: So Gold.
Speaker 4: Some Nancy taking care of breenus, taking care of breedness. Silver under the Bridge, Gold, Robbie Williams Butterman, Gold, kind of man, No fetter the devil You know.
Speaker 3: Silver, fall out your teet Gold.
Speaker 5: That's very good, Mike, well done.
Speaker 4: I want to break freezer, Bronze, Cheddar the devil you know, similar bronze.
Speaker 5: What did the cow say say to you?
Speaker 15: Remember that?
Speaker 5: Why do we go so big on that history will justus badly?
Speaker 3: And as a society? Why we Yeah? I agree, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Like to milk it, milk it silver, Johnny be gooda silver plus milk me baby one more time.
Speaker 3: Silver?
Speaker 4: I gooda known better Gold, got so many cheesy hits, Baby, you can drive my Carbonara Silver.
Speaker 5: Take the weather with moo, Take the weather with moo. Silver, don't cream it's over Gold.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast