Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian No Common Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Your story is that might make us say wow, like Scott's incredible encounter there with a shark. Judy actually made Jack and I say wow. Earlier we were talking about weird places that you fell asleep. She used to work in the hospital, had a big night out, thought she'd go and find a quiet room in the hospital. She found a very very quiet side room in the hospital. When she woke up in the early hours with the sunlight coming through the blinds, she realized that there've been someone else in the room, asleep in a body bag, dead in this tiny little side room. This is an amazing story, Tom. From Julie all right nine four one four one o four three. What's your story that might make us say wow? Bree, Good morning, welcome.
Speaker 1: To the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you well?
Speaker 1: Good Brie, So you've got a story for us?
Speaker 3: We're all is okay. So my partner and I decided one weekend we were going to go camping, and we always got up to the Murray River and we were driving in to our camps foot we had My daughter was ten at the time. She was in the back seat and it was winter and there was a bit of water on the road, which is normal. So he got out of the car and had a quick look, and he thought, we can do this. We've got a fall drive. So he started to go in slowly, and then all of a sudden he decided, no, we're not going to try this after all, tried to back out and the car slid and we went completely underwater, fully submerged. The car filled up within ten seconds. I reckon and we had about an inch from between you know where we were and or the top of the water to the roof of the car.
Speaker 1: The stuff a nightmare. Got your ten year old in the car, had my ten.
Speaker 3: Year old in the back seat. So he went to try and get out. His window was open, luckily, because you know, if it was closed, all our windows were closed. The cupboard of air locks, so he wouldn't have been able to get out.
Speaker 1: You can't get the doors open, that's it.
Speaker 3: So he forced his door open, and then he went to try and get my daughter out, and her door was locked, so her window was opened just the time a little bit. So he tried to pull her window out and he couldn't get it out, and then he realized the door was locked, so he unlocked her jawer. He put his arm through, got the door open, went to pull her out, and her seat belt was on, so then he had to put her back down under a seat belt. Tried to pull her out again, and her dressing gown got caught, so then he had to put her back underwater, unhooked her dressing gown. He got her out, and he threw her up on the top of the car and he said, wait there, I'm going to go and get mum. In the meantime, I was trying to open my door and I couldn't get it open. And I've got I've got a spinal condition, so my left side doesn't work very well. And I was trying the electric window and I didn't think it was going down, but then I put my hand up the top to sort of push, and my hand went through, So I said, ah, the windows working, so I wound the window down. I managed to get myself out just as he was coming around to get me. He pushed me up on top of the car and then we sat there while he tried to figure out Because neither of us girls can swim, he tried to figure out how to get us out of the water and onto land and he managed to. He took my daughter first, and then he took me across. And then we walked and walked and walked, and I was I'd filled up with water, so I was completely like bomb and you know, really dig Yeah. So we walked for about two kilometers and then we saw a light like it just a really faint light in the distance in the paddick. And he said, I'm going to go and have a look what missus. We'll see if there's anyone there. And then he come he come back out again. He said, get us, come in, come in. We found this little shack. It had a bed, it had firewood, it had bottled water blankets.
Speaker 2: From the story, dim light in the distance.
Speaker 1: Geored listening to this incredible story.
Speaker 3: Well it doesn't finish there.
Speaker 1: You make it to the paddock and you get some water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we didn't. We couldn't find matches, so and everything we owned was in the car. While we're at the car, my handbag floated away and he goes, oh, there goes your handbag. I said, we need that. Your wallet's under the driver's seat, you know. So he had to swim out and get that he nearly drowned doing that. Since wool we closed.
Speaker 1: In that situation. I'm lucky everyone's that. I'm not going to get you for worrying about the tissues. We'll get you a new go about the wallet. We're alve. Now we've got to get through the night and get out. So what did you do.
Speaker 3: Well, we'd slept in the shacks, so we'd sort of cuddled up together. We took all our clothes off because they were wet.
Speaker 2: You must have been just replaying what happened. You would have been so traumatized by it.
Speaker 3: I couldn't sleep. I was like, every time I dozed off, I was dreaming about it. So in the morning, it was about probably five thirty, I reckon. I'm not sure. He found like a plastic tablecloth thing in there. So he put his wet clothes back on and wrapped up in this plastic tablecloth and just went walking. And there was a farmer driving down the road on his tractory.
Speaker 1: As a maatshift. Kate, you're staring up on you.
Speaker 4: Now, I'll stop after hearing that before the down.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So the farmer loaned him his mobile phone and he rang whatever phone number we could remember, you know, and a couple of his mates sort of rallied together and got a car trailer and they came up in a couple of four wheel drives and that we managed to get the car out.
Speaker 1: To say the only number treble zero rather than a four.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we had a police car drove straight past us in the morning while we're waiting for our friends, and we're waving and waving, and they just kept going. They went down the track where we'd gone in and then they drove off again. And when we went to get the car, there was a sign on the trees that wasn't there the previous night saying, you know, water over road, like turned back.
Speaker 4: Even the police have seen the man in the plastic sheet, and guys, it's an amazing story.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if you wonder why we're so quiet, we're just I think we're just trying to sort of process it all.
Speaker 1: It's an unbelievable story. You are genuinely all of you lucky to be alive.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, absolutely we are. If it wasn't for him, there's no way ruled have made it.
Speaker 4: There's so many moments though. If it wasn't for even finding that shack after you're all completely soaked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, wow. Well, if we'd had to keep walking, you know, we sort of think hypasamia.
Speaker 1: I always worried about you out there in the bush the middle of nowhere. You would have gone into like shock. It could have been a really different story.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was horrid. It was horrid. So I took the next day off work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go back a lookle bit a handbag.
Speaker 3: And yeah, kept my daughter home. We went to the doctor and got checked out and everything, just to make sure, you know. But yeah, it was pretty traumatic.
Speaker 4: It's a really necessary warning as well about driving through floodwaters because some people still don't know the dangers of doing that.
Speaker 3: No, that's right. And you know, my partner's been full driving to thirty odd years, Yeah, and has done massive water He's done Kpe York, so he's done some massive water crossing and he always gets out of the car beforehand and checks. He's very cautious. Yeah, and this was just you know, we couldn't see in the dark. It was nine thirty ten o'clock at dime, and the road had washed away and we.
Speaker 1: Couldn't hard to read on it. When it's that dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. That's it.
Speaker 1: Well Brown, We're lucky you all.
Speaker 2: You made it, and thank you so much to pick up the phone and sharing it with us. It's an incredible story. It almost feels a small thing to say that we'll send your bries, but thank you for sharing that. There's so much in that story.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was good to ask what have you been up to the last couple of minutes. You're talking about a genuine near death experience. Well, empty dish washer was stacking it. What are you doing.
Speaker 3: Well, I've just turned up to work and I'm making my coffee for myself.
Speaker 1: And look seconds from death.
Speaker 2: Got to get that coffee on the go. That's a good all right. Well, I'm glad you're okay, Brey, and thanks for giving us a call mate. You have a good day, Enjoy that coffee.
Speaker 3: Thank you, take it Bye.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast