Speaker 1: High Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app a good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Brady.
Speaker 2: Your work, our windows done. That's my world rison the dust. Only good labs.
Speaker 1: Are all down.
Speaker 3: I've don't much, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I know I'll beg get and what I want. It don't matter where goes. This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, you're listening to the Pickup with brid Hockley.
Speaker 2: And Laura Ben. Oh we're seeing now. Sorry, I don't know where that came from. I'm just in a good mood today, more different person out. You're pregnant. I don't know what's happening. There's lots of hormone changes, brain synapses to change.
Speaker 1: There probably is, though to be fair to really sleep deprived already sleep.
Speaker 2: In somnia, pregnancy insomnia.
Speaker 1: I suppose the other kind of insomnia you can get that's not sleep related. Bread Yes, okay, so I have just hit twenty six weeks, which is weird to me because you're just not even pregnant to me. I know you do treat me like I'm not pregnant, like that, I'm in need denial I need everyone to be like you are gay.
Speaker 4: I am sympathetic, but I'm denial. Yeah, I'm dealing with it too. It's our pregnancy.
Speaker 1: This is I understand have a guess what size fruits?
Speaker 2: Because you know how so.
Speaker 1: When you're pregnant and you go into a new week, if you've got any of those pregnancy apps, it always tells you, like what fruit your baby is. Third, I don't pay a lot of attention to it. I don't think i've looked since it was the size of a blueberry. So what is it?
Speaker 2: Twenty six weeks? Twenty six weeks? That's just over half way?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Well more than that?
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, so you're a little bit over halfway. Six weeks over halfway? Yeah, okay, So let me think of my fruit. Would it be remiss of me to say it would resemble a premature rock melon?
Speaker 2: Premature rock melon like hasn't quite made it to full melon.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good, because I'm pretty sure rock melon is like twenty nine weeks. So yeah, I think you're pretty close the paya, Yeah, close to. But no, it's a lettuce this week letters, which also, why.
Speaker 2: Would you want to be a lettuce? Sorry? If you want to be a fruit pick a like something solid.
Speaker 1: Also, the thing is is, if you've ever seen fruits, they vary a lot in size. So I just don't know how they've whoever scaled this based on a fruit, I don't know how accurate it is.
Speaker 4: Is it a big letters melon a stage?
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty nine weeks melon. So I'll let you know when we in that. That's pretty good for someone that's never been pregnant. I'm press.
Speaker 1: Now we've asked the question. Guys, give us a call. What did you find in your food? Because on the weekend it was my daughter's sixth birthday party? Right, lots of preparation. We did it at our house, which is a terrible idea. Don't whole birthday parties at your house. Lots of cleaner, lots.
Speaker 2: Of prep little question yep, is fairy bread? Does it still make an appearance at kids' birthday parties?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, half made.
Speaker 1: I made half a loaf, wonder white butter and sprinkles. And let me tell you, that was the only food that was on the table that got complete devoured.
Speaker 2: Of course, it was pure sugar. It was shit.
Speaker 4: That can't be shocking, have you No, one eate the carrot sticks and hummus.
Speaker 1: It was a big fruit platter. No, but have you actually tried it as an adult? It's terrible. It's really crunchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't like butter either, so I've had to forego the fairy bread as an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more so that sprinkles are overrated.
Speaker 1: They taste awful, slightly sugary, not sugary enough, and they're really hard. So all these little kids are just walking around just getting turned on fairy bread. Anyway, it was the whole thing. I should have stuck to the fairy bread, because I did get a couple of packets of chips. I'm a bit of a lazy mum when it comes to a birthday party. We didn't do a cake. We just had cupcakes that I was still bought. You know, I put some candles in them. I've got a few bags of chippies. I was like, put them on the table in bowls. Kids will have a great time. You're not trad wifing. No, yeah, that's not my that's not my thing. Anyway. I opened up one of the bags of chips and it looked okay on top, but then I looked a.
Speaker 2: Bit close to I was like, what is that?
Speaker 1: And I shook the bag a bit and there was this you don't know entirely what it was it was about. It was about fifteen centimeters.
Speaker 2: Long, half a ruler that doesn't even fit in a chip bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, about that beer just fitted in like sideways. It took up the entire side length of the bag. It looked like a full hash brown, like a McDonald's hash brown that had been severely overcooked. But then on closer inspection, I took a moment I was like, is that a chicken snitzl? Like is there a legit chicken snitsel in my chip bag? Anyway, pulled it out. I'm pretty sure it was just layers upon layers of compacted chips that had been deep fried and deep fried and deep fried.
Speaker 2: And how does it get to that point? God knows.
Speaker 1: We thought it was the golden hash brown that we found, like we'd run a prize.
Speaker 4: But that's what I was actually gonna ask that did you look up to see if there is a competition running for like whoever whatever bag finds it, because that's a thing.
Speaker 2: No, we have a listen to this.
Speaker 1: I can't tell if this is an entire potato, a.
Speaker 2: Hash brown.
Speaker 1: Or a lot of chips that have gotten stuff on the conveyor belt together.
Speaker 2: Would you you're disgusting.
Speaker 1: It's probably like the best bit of all the chips, you know, like when they're kindch It's really that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's so right.
Speaker 1: Delicacy. We got the special golden hash brown and the back of the gym.
Speaker 3: It's a delicacy.
Speaker 2: Matt, Yeah, it's a delicacy. Matt took one for the team.
Speaker 1: My husband, he ate he took a big bite out of it.
Speaker 2: I think he just did it.
Speaker 1: No, he told me off camera that it was actually revolting.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm worried that I ate that maybe to make me.
Speaker 4: See at least it was something edible that was in there, because there could be some weird and wonderful things that get stuck.
Speaker 2: Well there have been.
Speaker 1: There have been some weird, wonderful things. Did we put the call out to you guys, what did you find in your food? And let me tell you everything from band aids to nails to it's been disgusting. We've got Jess on the line. Jess, what did you find in your food?
Speaker 6: I was at a cafe and my omelet came out and there was a humongous giant dragonfly just cooked smack bang in the middle of my almard.
Speaker 3: Always so they might not God, they folded it in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know when you're on what comes out and it's like half folded over, presented nicely.
Speaker 2: That it just goes beyond negligence.
Speaker 1: Imagine being that person that's in their cooking and they're like, nah, either they see it or they and they can't be.
Speaker 2: Bothered to pick it out, or they're like, didn't even look. They just flipped.
Speaker 3: Now, I reckon.
Speaker 2: They the chef knows how to do the flip, right, I reckon.
Speaker 4: He just turned his head as he flipped it as it flew in like bad timing.
Speaker 2: What did you do, Jess? You sent it back?
Speaker 1: Well I did.
Speaker 6: They weren't really concerned. They offered to make me a new one, and I declined that wow.
Speaker 2: All right, great service. Don't let's not name the cafe. All right, Karin, We've got Kren on the line. What did you find your food?
Speaker 7: A family member came across a mouse frozen to the bottom of like frozen pizza.
Speaker 1: But it was like.
Speaker 7: Between the plastic. Yeah, a mouse, a little little mouth already sealed in a plastic part, so like between the box of plastic.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I would never be able to eat a pizza again.
Speaker 2: I reckon.
Speaker 1: What's happened is when it was being transferred the mouse as they'd been through like a hole in the box, and then it's just kind of like cozy in there.
Speaker 3: Because you wouldn't dine in there.
Speaker 2: He'd live forever.
Speaker 1: But then but then it ended up back in the freezer and so the poor mouse got snap frozen.
Speaker 4: Wow, the nutrients are still in there there, just frozen like a carrot.
Speaker 7: Al right, the production line, like the mouse happened to be on the production line, squish bang in the freezer.
Speaker 2: It was oh oh, Krien, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Look, there's been some real doozies. Okay, guys, just just look at what you eat before.
Speaker 6: Take.
Speaker 1: A lot of fingernails came in. That was a real problem. I have a lot of fakey's in the food.
Speaker 2: I nearly put a fake nail once.
Speaker 4: Into the nut arena, you know the nutbox at like the supermarkets.
Speaker 2: The nut woolwors nut arena.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an arena that is like a great arena.
Speaker 2: We're going to end up in the nut arena if you're not careful.
Speaker 4: We have a bit of a different guest on the show today, one I'm quite excited to speak about. I saw her story online and just couldn't imagine what it would be like. We're speaking to Lyndall Bubke, who is a donor conceived woman from Brisbane and she recently found out that she has seventy seven half siblings that were also conceived by the same donor sperm.
Speaker 3: So we have Lyndall on the phone. Lindall, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hi both, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: What how did you discover that you had seventy seven half siblings?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's been a bit of a process. I did an ancestry Dnatis my husband's family really into genealogy and I'm like, well, that'll be fun.
Speaker 3: What's the worst that I imagine that'd be fun?
Speaker 1: Did you know at that point that you had been conceived through donor sperm? Like, did you know that that was the case or was it all a bit of a Pandora's box.
Speaker 5: It was a bit of a Pandora's box. I'm of an age. I'm thirty three in most I was conceived in the early nineties, and at the time, the going rhetoric that the clinics were really impressing upon parents was go home and pretend it didn't happen. It's unkind to tell them. You shouldn't tell them they'll never be able to find their donor, you know. And yes that's all true, not only because they destroyed the records in a bit of a journey, but these days people are told.
Speaker 1: At the time as well, there was nothing like ancestry dot com, so they probably weren't thinking no future the people would be able to do their own genealogy tests like that seems so sci fi for back then.
Speaker 5: I know who would have ever guessed?
Speaker 4: And then so okay, let's just set the scene tapping away.
Speaker 2: You find out you've got seventy seven half siblings. How do you then connect with them? Because I know quite a lot of you have reached out and been in contact.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's like a group chat we have at the moment because I've fifteen of us in it. We get in touch mostly VIADEA they're testing. The clinic has put a couple of us in touch with each other, but the clinic doesn't have records for all or most of us. The seventy seven, as you said, is a minimum. It doesn't include all of the treating doctors that cleans on fertility groups that destroyed their records might include. So if it hadn't been the fact that I did a DNA test, I wouldn't have ever been able to connect with my siblings.
Speaker 4: I imagine when you find out that there's you know, potentially upwards of one hundred siblings, you would think, okay.
Speaker 5: I have to make two hundred and fifty to three hundred and fifty conservatively based on how many times my donor donated.
Speaker 4: Which is wild, and your brain must go to the fact of saying, okay, well, there's a high likelihood of all these people growing up in the same area. Did you just think that maybe you'd come across them in the past, or what if you were dating them as a teenager, or what if your husband.
Speaker 2: Was related to in some way? Like did those thoughts cross your mind?
Speaker 5: Bang on the money With my biggest fears, they're Thankfully my husband had already done a DNA test, So when I got my results back, it was the first thing I was checking in and before I looked at the eleven DNA matches, my parents had got in between the test results hitting. They told me what to expect. So the first thing I'm checking is is my husband a relative? Thank God it wasn't that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I know that two of my siblings have found out they were at a party together as teenagers. It's all really cool to home. The chances of me knowing someone who's a sibling before I find their sibling is pretty high. You know, one of my one of my brothers is my cousin's friend. We're born ten days apart. We're probably conceived on the same day. And that's that's quite close.
Speaker 2: You be from the same pot of sperm, same clinic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we are.
Speaker 2: Actually wow, wow, that is crazy.
Speaker 1: How look I mean, and this might be a little bit personal, but when your parents did tell you, because obviously you know, them intervening, trying to probably get a front foot on that situation, how did you respond to that?
Speaker 5: Oh? Look, it's hard, you know. I think they did the best they could with the information they had. We all agree. Now, my parents have been really supportive throughout this process because this isn't what they signed up for But now that they know this, they would have told me earlier. I always tell people who are going through to own a conception. It's so important to tell your kids. Have it just be part of the narrative, so it's not a big shock when they signed out.
Speaker 4: Well, you are also campaigning for improved regulations in the fertility clinics and creations of databases. Tell us exactly what you're hoping to achieve, Like, what regulations do you think we need to have to better control this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well so at the moment we have state based approaching and not every state has regulation. Until October and Queensland last year there was literally nothing governing it and that's why something terrible things happened. So if one state is letting the team down, then the clinics can get away with and they do get away with sending the sperm into state to their related clinics or just selling it to other clinics and using it in the different jurisdiction, and that gets around the family limits, and that's how you create these pods of hundreds, sometimes thousands of siblings in Australia.
Speaker 2: It's just insane.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean there's been a few documentaries and stuff that have come out where it's really highlighted this issue overseas, but I don't think anyone's aware that it's something that's happened here in Australia on home soil as well's.
Speaker 5: And if we're using sperm that's imported from the state, there's no checks and balances and how many times they've used it.
Speaker 4: Well, you're gonna have a fun Christmas windle with three hundred people.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you hope.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you hope to find them all or if you're happy to just like sort of live with seventy seven the Yeah, you would, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it just feels funny thinking there are these people out there and share half of my DNA, but I never know. That's just a sadness we all have to wear.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we hope you find them. It's a remarkable story. But we are reading for you. Thanks both, Thanks Linda, so Laura.
Speaker 4: On the weekend, I tried to do what I think was a really good deed, well for myself and for my sister. But what I did was I went through all my cupboards and cleaned everything out. You know where you have this like I just had too much stuff that I have accumulated for years. I could open my wardrobe and stuff from fifteen years ago would tumble out and almost suffocate me. I have seen your wardrobe, brit and one thing like, yes, you have a lot of clothes, but the thing is you also don't throw anything away, so you keep all of your clothes, like you have multiple wardrobes. But I think because most of it's stuff that you'll keep on rotation, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: I'm a real sucker for I'm like a hoarder for clothes. Like some of my favorite pieces of clothing are from fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: So I don't necessarily just keep them. I just love it.
Speaker 1: I don't fit anything from fifteen years ago when we are yellow. And I kind of have a rule now because my wardrobes one a time was very similar.
Speaker 2: But I have a rule that if I haven't worn it in a year, it goes.
Speaker 1: I give it away to someone, or I give it to the Salvos.
Speaker 2: But I can't. I can't keep that. When he closes my house.
Speaker 4: Every like I don't know, six to eight months, I do a clean out and I send everything to the Salvos or I give it to my sister or a friend to go through.
Speaker 2: If it's like good quality stuff. So I went through.
Speaker 4: I'd been going through it for probably the last four months and slowly putting things into bags because I knew my sister was going to.
Speaker 2: Move back from overseas.
Speaker 4: I always let her go through and pick stuff and then I take it to a charity store. And so I've been accumulating these bags and one was just bin like stuff that was just so far gone, moss of eating it or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like I'm talking the dregs of my wardrobe. You're like, I would be embarrassed to give this to someone.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then I had the stuff that my sister could go through that was like call you know, no would fit out.
Speaker 2: Then I had the bag that was just going straight to the charity win anyway.
Speaker 4: So I handed off to my sister and she went back to the Gold Coast because she doesn't live near me and I don't hear from about it. And I was like really excited because I was giving her really quality stuff. Anyway, So I bring it up and I said to her, day, did you go through the bag?
Speaker 3: And She's like, yeah, I did. I was like, okay, did you keep anything?
Speaker 2: Like did you like it?
Speaker 3: Or like you're welcome?
Speaker 2: She's like no, I think he would be nice. She's like no, Brittany, it was disgusting. When I threw it out.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, I was like, you didn't keep one thing?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, nothing, Why would I? And I was so confused. I was like, there's some of my best pieces.
Speaker 8: She was like what it turns out I gave her a bag of like the oldest undies that you've ever seen, like undies that I've worn, that have holes in them, that have like these are undies that have been through it.
Speaker 3: I gave her stuff with moth holes in it.
Speaker 4: I gave her the bag that was supposed to go straight to the bin, not even a bag that could go to a charity, not nothing.
Speaker 3: This is like you'd burn this bag, and that's what she thought I gifted her.
Speaker 1: It's the bag of clothes where you know, they've lived alive, they have lived a century of life.
Speaker 3: They've seen some stuff. And like, I was mortified.
Speaker 1: So what happened to the bag that she was meant to get? Did you actually take that one to the salvage?
Speaker 2: So annoying? Yeah, but that's great. There's really great subber videos.
Speaker 4: But I was mortified to think that I gave my sister a bag of like dirty undies. I don't want to say it on radio, but I was like, old use undies because I keep bundies for like I know you do too, Laura, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Twenty years.
Speaker 1: I keep underwear until it no longer has an elastic, which is coming really handy because I now my butt's about twice the size it used to be and all those.
Speaker 2: Houndies hit me again.
Speaker 4: Do you like how I'm trying to whisper it like Australia can't hear it. If I whispered it, I was like, I gave her a bag of dirty undies, like.
Speaker 2: You're still seeing it.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is a lesson for everyone, though. If you're going to do a clean out, you've got to label stuff.
Speaker 2: It's seemed like if you're moving house.
Speaker 1: Because I once maybe about eight months ago, he actually maybe longer.
Speaker 2: No one cares I had.
Speaker 3: Too bad time is irrelevant.
Speaker 1: I had one bag to go to the dry cleaners and one bag to go to the salvos.
Speaker 2: Both bags have been kicking around the back of my car.
Speaker 1: The boot the garage like they've just been moved from different areas because I kept on thinking I'll take it eventually. Anyway, I mentioned to Matt, I was like, oh, there's a bag in the back of my car that.
Speaker 2: Needs to go the Salvos.
Speaker 1: Didn't tell him that there was one that was supposed to go to the dry cleaners, and everything ended up at the Savos, so that was really disappointing for me.
Speaker 2: Let's alert everyone. Yeah, there's also.
Speaker 1: Some things that the owner didn't want to part with as well, So off you go, guys, check it out. Anyway, Look, that is it from us.