Speaker 1: Chips are a total soul food of mine and I'm amazed that we are well over one hundred podcasts and we still haven't really covered them. So today on the Nutrition Couch we cover it. Three healthier types of chips and if they're really that much healthier that you can find in your local supermarket. Hi, I'm land Ward and I'm Susie Burrow and it's two of austrayas leading dieticians. We bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in the supermarket. So, Susie, if you had to pick one chip flavor, water, is it?
Speaker 2: Oh, cheese? An onion? What is an onion?
Speaker 3: But you know the truth is that the ones I tend to like have got MSG added. Actually that's a lie. The ones I like most are American ruffles and the flavor is sour cream and cheddar. There is not one healthy thing about them. They would be one of the most unhealthiest foods on the planet with hydrogenated fat through it. And the only time I tend to eat them is when I go to Hawaii on a holiday with my sister. But I just try not to eat too many of them. But I think that it's a great topic at this time of year because there's quite a few in the health feed section. Noallyan that you would say are masquerading is quite healthy or healthier variety, and they can be made with vegetables and legumes. So I think that a lot of let's be honest, most people kind of light chips, and I think it's good to have a lay of the land about what is out there and are the ones that are marketed as being better options are they actually because yeah, we all enjoy a packet of chiky packet of chips every now and again.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's funny.
Speaker 1: As soon as she said that, I was like, oh my goodness, I had them when we were in Hawaii, those ruffle ones.
Speaker 2: They're really good.
Speaker 3: They are so good, and you can find them in some of those like American type delis around here. Like they're expensive, but they're so not healthy. There has to be a rule on them because they're just so moorish. The artificial flavors and colors are just like through the roof.
Speaker 1: And I must say my favorite of all time are Red Rock Deli, this swe chili sad cream they're just my absolute favorite. But the cost of chips lately, that's the one thing besides meat and dairy, i've really knows them like a bad chips. It's like five six dollars. If you get like your local convenience store down the road, you're paying six seven dollars or a bag of chips.
Speaker 2: So yeah, of course, through the roof.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, my dad's English, and so he likes cheese and onion chips, and so quite often if they'd be on sealf for like, I think like one seventy five for a packet, and I've noticed lately like they're four and five dollars, like you said, like it's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for potato, a bit of flavor and oil.
Speaker 2: Like, and their bags are getting smaller, so much smaller.
Speaker 3: There's certainly not something I spend because one hundred percent they are so expensive for what they are, which is really not really offering anything nutritionally in the grand scheme of things other than sort of pleasure and things. So yeah, that's a fair call, I think when it comes to if you were getting some rid of some stuff off the family budget, certainly they'd be on the list of things to cut right back on.
Speaker 2: We much.
Speaker 1: We buy little bags of popcorn most weeks, but versus chips because obviously it's not healthier and a lot more affordable as well.
Speaker 3: I don't buy chips for the kids. I'm more likely to get them pretzels and things just because I nutritionally. Like we've descrised, there's not much to them. But you know, it is the sort of something that come out at party time platters and when you go into people's houses and barbecues. So I thought, oh, it's probably a pretty good topic to talk about coming into silly season. And I really like the ones that you've chosen.
Speaker 1: Well, the first one to kick it off, I think is one that a lot of people reach for thinking that is a healthy option.
Speaker 2: So let's see if it really is.
Speaker 1: So is it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: It is the Smith's brand, and Smith's here in Australia is probably one of the biggest brand of chips, I would say, so it's an aussy brand. They're the Smith's oven baked Chips, sea salt flavor. I just went with plain varieties today and they retail it will was for four dollars thirty for one hundred and thirty grand bag. So I remember back in the day when chips used to be two hundred grams. I picked up my favorite rector of Delhi's the other day. There are one hundred and sixty five grams. Head down to these ones are one hundred and thirty grams. So automatically the packet is a lot smaller. Yeah, the cost isn't going down at all. So on the front of package label we have two and a half stars, so compared to the other chips in that category, it's sort of sitting about in mid range. But I think this is a good one to chat through because in the front a package label, it's got fifty percent less fat, and it's got oven baked and big letters across the front of the packet. So I think a lot of people would go, well, this is much healthier. So let's have a little Looksie, Susie. So first ingredient is potato flakes, not potato potato flakes fifty five percent. Next ingredient is corn starch, followed by cornola oil, sugar, wheat flour, salt, sunflour, leathers and raising agents, natural color, and that's it. And allergens are milk, wheat, and gluten. And then if we look at the per hundred gram column, because I think with chips we'll have to do hundred gram because the serving size is eight. It's different per packet and beat. It's ridiculous because you can't tell me like when a bag of chip says like eight point two serves per bag. Who the hell's eating one eighth of a bag of potato chips?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 1: So it's much better to do per hundred grams today because nobody can actually stick to a certain things.
Speaker 3: In general, no one's eating more than one serve in any bag. I feel like you buy the bag you're eating.
Speaker 2: And some people eat the bag as well.
Speaker 1: All right, So per one hundred grams, we've got one thousand, eight hundred and ninety kilodel, so about nineteen hundred kilogels per hundred grams, five point three grams of protein, sixteen grams of fat with one point four being saturated, so very low saturated fat, which is good. Sixty nine point four grams of carbohydrates, so that would make sense, Like a potato chip is a potato, which is a carb so it's going to be a heavy car product. Five point one grams of sugar. That is, some of that is added sugar, because there is some added sugar in here, and dietary fiber hasn't been listed, and sodium is six hundred and ten milligrams per hundred grams. Are not insignificant but also expected because you know, most potato chips have salt and flavorings added, so overall, like they're slightly less like I think the smiths. I looked up quickly just the original standard potato chip is something like maybe two thousand, two hundred kilojels, so you're getting about four hundred ish less kilodeels per hundred grams, so definitely lower calorie. But here's my thing with it, ZUZI I've tried them. I don't like them. I don't eat them, and I would have like I would be eating these and thinking, oh, these aren't that good, but you know, I love chips, I'll keep eating them. I would overeat these and still not really be satisfied. And they're not that much healthy. Let's be honest. Yes, they're probably a lot lower in fat. There is a slightly less kilodual calorie perspective there, but I just don't rate them from a taste or a satisfaction perspective.
Speaker 2: Have you tried them?
Speaker 3: I actually like them now, so if we're comparing, First of all, most of the chips come out of Pepsi COO So Smith was an original astrained company, and now they're any kind of twisties. You know, they're all owned Pepsi coast so that's the primary brand, and they also make ruffles. Can I also say, but normal chips are like twenty five percent fat, so they are significantly lower in fat. And you can tell by the mouthfeel. They're sort of much cunchy and there's almost sort of a coat on them rather than the oil that you would get from a you.
Speaker 2: Know, red rock deli or kettle chip.
Speaker 3: I don't mind them, but I guess I get why you don't like them, because they're like a rice cracker more.
Speaker 2: Really, they're more like a rass crack. Yes, that's it. That's it. Yeah. They don't mouth feel anything like a chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know they're heavily processed, but they do have a bit more, you know, a bit lower fat in them. I think the thing that I find most alarming is how much they are for one hundred and thirty grams, they're like four dollars thirty like that is massive. One hundred grams is hardly any like it's you know, tiny amounts like it's it counts like twenty or thirty chips really in the whole bag, like you're paying for air. I like them because I like Seltn vinegar and the Sultan vinegar is quite strong, and if I just want a few, I don't mind them. But I hear what you're saying, and certainly I don't buy them when they're full priced. Occasionally, when they're like half price, I might pick them up, and my kids quite like them, so I'd rather meet those than say Dorito's. But yeah, i'd give it like a six or seven out of ten, and i'd describe them more like a rice cake. And the benefit, I guess overall is that they're low saturated fat. So if you're someone who's specifically looking for lower saturated fat products, I actually think the sodium's quite reasonable for chips, like they're usually a lot higher than that in my experience. But yeah, it's not an outstanding product. I think if you like them, they certainly better than full fat chips. But you're right you're not going to get that same mouthfeel that you're getting from a full fat, you know, proper red rock Deli Crisp, which is a pretty clean ingredient list from memory anyway, which is just oil and potato. So just different straights for different folk. But if you do like them, they're they're are better for you. You would say.
Speaker 2: They're better for you.
Speaker 1: But my grant would be that I could probably happily eat the whole bag of these and still not really feel satisfied.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can easily eat that bag.
Speaker 1: Because as you said, it's like a rice cracker, But like my bag of red Rock Della chips, I could have three four five and really be satisfied. Like I could just go and grab a couple like three four five and be like, yeah, I'm done. I wouldn't feel the need to eat the whole bag because they're so satisfying. So for me, that's that's what I would prefer. But I know that a lot of clients that we both have, Susie and a lot of people listening, really do have without portion control. So if you are someone that's kind of like, well a buy a bag of gipsyat the whole bag, this is probably a better option for you.
Speaker 3: And you can get them in the mini bags too, But I tell you, actually, what's interesting the end that potato flake of fifty five percent and then corn starch like from a glacemic index or glacemic control perspective for blood glucose, that's not good. Like that's the most refined sort of potato, and corn starch is really refined carb so it's got some fat in it, which is probably buffering the glycemic response. But still for anyone with glucose regulation issues, this pure kind of carbohydrate snack is not a good choice. So we need to be very clear on that. They're heavily process which is not good for blood glucose control. It looks nothing like a potato No, no, it does not.
Speaker 1: Now, second chip that we've got today, Susi, again from Willist is the simply seven lentil chips with sea salt. So this one is one hundred and thirteen grams, so less than the other bag, and it's five dollars twenty five. So this is very much something that would be found more in the health food section. So you're paying a premium for a health food product. But let's see if it really is susy. So top ingredient is lentil flow, so fifty percent lentil flow, so that's nice to see. I did look at a couple of the other lentil chips on the market, and lentil flour was sort of the second or third ingredient in some of them, like potato flowers the first ingredient, followed by lentil flow. So I think that's really important if you're going to pay the extra money, you want the lentil ingredient to be the top ingredient. Put it that way, if you're going to pay the extra money. So this is why I chose this one today and had a little bit higher fiber as well. So then we've got potato starch following the lentil flow, sunflower oil, and some sea salt, so very clean ingredients. Only four there, the lentil flower, the potato starch, the oil, and the sea salt. They are vegan and they're very sort of allergy friendly as well gluten free. You know, there's not a lot of ingredients there that sort of thing, so good one well rounded option for the family, particularly for some sensitive tummies. Going again via the per one hundred gram column. We've got roughly two thousand kilodools, which is about four hundred and eighty calories. We've got ten point six grams of protein, so a higher protein product, you would say, compared to a standard chip, because lentil is something that is you know, those beans and legumes obviously have higher protein than something like a potato does. Fat is twenty one point two grams of fat, with one point seven grams being saturated, so again a low saturated fat product. Sixty two grams of carbohydrates, so again a fairly standard and a potato chip. We're not going to find a potato chip that's like five grams of carbohydrates.
Speaker 2: It's just not going to exist.
Speaker 1: Three point one grams of fiber and a thousand milligrams of sodium, so a lot higher salt than the previous one that we looked at. So I quite like it. I must admit I haven't tried these before. They are quite popular. I have seen them in the supermarket, and there's often not many left in that sort of health food section.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I think it's good. Again, it's a.
Speaker 1: Highly processed product. It's not like you're eating a pure lentil. Again, if you like it, I think it's a good option. It's higher in protein, higher and fiber then say a standard bag of potato chips. But again, if you're going to eat the entire bag, you're probably looking at a very similar calorie load, even though you do are getting sort of a potentially slightly higher or better macro nutrients bread throughout compared to us down a potato chip.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, like, let's be honest, we're all eating the whole bag. They're so light, that's five hundred calim one here, twenty grams are fat. Yeah, there's got a bit of protein in their bit of fiber. I'm with you. I think it's better. But would I pay five dollars twenty five for one hundred grams of food?
Speaker 2: Probably not. I'm assuming they're probably gluten free, are though.
Speaker 1: They're gluten free by ingredient, But I can't see the I don't know about any sort of processing line.
Speaker 3: So, you know, for people who are looking for snack food which is clean and they need that for any alley allergy or siliac, yeah, I give them a seven. You know, they're chips, chips and chips. These aren't healthy they're healthier than some of the worst chips. Their middle ground. I think portion control would be difficult. I think that it's really expensive for food in this current time where everything is so much, Like who's paying five dollars for one hundred grams of chips? But you know, if you're having a platter and put some out, perhaps with a dip or something along those lines. But certainly I think that they're risky. If you open that bag, they're gone. I can't see anyone stopping because you know, it's a very small handful, I would say, is making the server. You know, they're surprisingly you know, they're not overly low like some of the healthier chips I've seen on odd occasions. And the issue, of course the end is they often don't sell, so they don't last because they don't taste great. The lowest sort of fat i've seen for chip's about fourteen percent versus twenty to twenty five, which is regular. See these aren't low like, they're still twenty one percent fat. Like that's a high fat food. The only buffer is that there's protein. You'd say, oh, but it's going to feel you more well. You have to eat the whole bag. You're getting ten, it's still pretty low. So yeah, middle ground. I'd still give it a six or a seven. And certainly they wouldn't be on my list just from a budget perspective, but perhaps for people who are on specific dietary requirements, you know, they're an option, and you.
Speaker 1: Know people would say, oh, but these are better because there's more protein, there's more fiber. But let's be honest, you're not eating lentil chips for the protein fiber. Like, if that's where you're going for your fiber, you're doing something wrong. I can tell you that. Much like we get our fiber from our whole grains and our fruits and our vegetables, we get our protein from other sources of lean protein. So yes, it might be slightly better on paper, but I think at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: A chip is a chip.
Speaker 1: Like you said, Susie, it's really something that is a discretionary food. Even if it is slightly healthier on paper, we really shouldn't be having it on a daily basis or a regular occasion. True, true, true, all right, And the last one, these personally are my favorite. I do buy these, Susi. I think they have a beautiful mouth while they taste really yummy. But again, a chip is a chip. If it looks like a chip, it probably is a chip. That's all we normally say, isn't it? So they're the ajuitus? Is that how you pronounce it? A judics veget chips? So just went with the natural flavor. Again, it will work. They are four dollars fifty four one hundred grams, so that we're getting slightly smaller. Back at Susie, we started off with what one hundred and thirty, went down to one thirteen, and now we're at one hundred grams. So I kind of like that the bag is smaller because again, let's be honest, we're all eating half to bag.
Speaker 2: A whole bag.
Speaker 1: I think you're serving size for this sort is five per packet, So who's are just eating twenty grams of chips out of there? Absolutely nobody? So I quite like them. They often go on sale. They're often, you know, thirty fifty percent off, so I'll pick up a couple of bags. It's around the pantry when they are on sal They really do have a nice mouthfeel and they're very allergy friendly. Are using for a lot of my sensitive clients. They're began, they're gluten free, they're dairy free, they've got no soy nuts, eggs like, they're very very good. There's no artificial flavors or preservatives either, and they're a really good I think of a memory. They're a Bosi company as well, which is nice. So ingredient wise, we've got cassava, so a type of you know, start sixty percent, followed by tabioca flower, followed by sartleflour oil, sugar, shalotte leaf, which I think decides a little bit of kind of herb and spice in there, some salt, and some sesame seeds to round us out. So the only allergen in there being sesame seeds, which you know most people aren'talogic to. But my little meal is no chips, port Darling, no Vegea chips for your mem So looking at the perl, hundred gram so this serving sizes twenty on this packet, and again I just can't fathom anyone who would actually eat twenty grams of these are delicious. Per hundred grams, we've got nineteen hundred and fifty kilodeel, so about four hundred and sixty calories one point two grams of protein eighteen point eight grams of fat, so slightly lower than the other ones we've looked at, with one point seven grams being saturated, again very low saturated fat. We have sixty seven grams of carbohydrate, seven grams of that being sugars, four point two grams of fiber, and five sixty milligrams of sodium. So like on paper, these are probably some of the better ones. They're lower, they're lower kilodule, they've got more dietary fiber, they're lower in sodium, but again you know there's a high carbohydrate lower, they're quite refined. These are definitely my pick is a bunch from a taste perspective. Unfortunately, yeah, they're not that they're not that affordable, like four dollars fifty four hundred grams. I would absolutely be waiting until they're on sale to purchase them.
Speaker 3: They are a little good Australian company just in Corumbin, up in Nice the border in Queensland.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I've always really liked this brand and I think it goes back to when I did pediatrics. They had their little individual packets and they were quite low calorie for kids. They're actually really low in salts compared to other chips. When you look at that, like that's half the amount of sodium that's usually in any kind of chip. They're got to use a better quality oil, and I think they taste really good. They've got all different varieties actually across the board. You can get this sort of quite small individual packets. You know, they're still chips, but certainly I'm with you, they're a better type of chip with a better oil. They're lower in sodium, clean for gluten free and if you can portion control. I think that there's sort of some beech troot ones as well, the original veggie chips. They taste good, you know, they're sort of clean.
Speaker 2: Less salt.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't usually keep them at home by them, but if I was recommending some for people, they would be top of my list. I'd probably give them like an eight out of ten, seven and a half out of ten, both for the profile, the better use of fat. It's an Aussie company. You can get small portions the salts, lower type of oil. Yeah, and they taste good, which is always also important. And I think the other thing I quite like it. Yeah, they're not masquerading with a health halo, you know what I mean, Like they're they're not. They're still saying they're chips, you know, but they're saying we're using a better oil. They're not sort of chucking an ingredient in there and saying, oh, we use some lentil or we use some p but hence in tons of MSG and so we're better. But it's not like to me, it presents as it is. You know, it is a chip, but we're trying to make it a bit healthier. And for that reason I sort of have always quite liked them as well. And you're right, this brand's been around for ages, like that nutritional panel. I've been looking out I reckon for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: And it's never changed, like the font the same, right, that has been like that. Yeah, why change a good thing though?
Speaker 1: Right? I remember my mum buying these for some and real kids like I've had them. I've been in these for the better part of twenty years, I think.
Speaker 2: And that says everything.
Speaker 3: Because if Sophie liked them early on, Sophie knows all the good stuff we just got to her. If Sophie thinks it's all right, it's a thumbs up from us.
Speaker 1: Exactly if Sophie likes them, she's she's a unqualified dietician, was a dietitian before she you know, before it became a term.
Speaker 2: And they do do.
Speaker 1: Like actual vegetable chips as well, like as you said, the beat true chips, they do sweet potato ones. As a bag of them, I didn't choose them because from a calorie perspectives, they're actually very slightly higher. And these were me are the winner because as she said, they really taste like and resemble a chip like to me, out of the three we reviewed today, these are probably the closest to a chip like. It's not a Smith's you know, crink or cut chip by any means, but to me, they have the flavor, the texture, the mouth feel, they're crunchy like. They really do resemble the closest thing to a chip for being a healthiest sort of variety.
Speaker 3: And the tast does taste good like they are a pleasant flavor. To give approval hundred percent, I agree, No, you've got my vote too. I think they're a really good one.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Catch product review for another week. We would appreciate if you guys could subscribe to the podcast if you haven't already. That really does help us with our ratings in the charts and and a little hot off the press secret, we have a Nutrition Couch product review ebook coming very very soon, so keep an eye on our socials. We're at the Nutrition Couch podcast on Instagram and Facebook and that ebook will be available on our website very very soon, just in time to give to yourself as a Christmas present or to your loved ones as well. And it has Susie in my top choices for all of our local soupermarket products going through Coles, wal West and Audi as well, so keep an eye out for that one. We're very excited to bring it to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, you'll enjoy that, and thanks for listening. Have a great week.