Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Mune, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My friends, today is Friday again, which means it is time to get the team together and celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community today, Miss Grici over there is going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about hextet, and we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking about when your friend pulls out of a trip and the cost goes up. My friends, how has your week been? Hi?
Speaker 3: Good? Good week for me?
Speaker 2: Good to know?
Speaker 3: Beck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to know good busy good busy good busy? Becau's your new job going? Are we still loving it?
Speaker 3: Still loving it?
Speaker 4: Always too much? I'm like, is there something I'm missing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I don't lulling you into her false sense of security must be Yeah, they might be.
Speaker 3: It's exactly how it went for me.
Speaker 2: Ess. Have we decompressed off the IWD high that we've been riding for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, feeling good. Back into routine, which is a bit sad but also kind of nice. Like it's kind of a you know, too sad a thing like it's sad because the travel and sing everyone's so fun, but it's good because productivity.
Speaker 2: Much when you can just sit down to your emails and just like get through them and then be like, wow, I don't have to get up and run away right now. It's actually very liberating.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: My week has been really good. So sorry what.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I just said something silly. We are just talking about doing laundry in your own house is nice.
Speaker 2: Anyway, doing laundry in your own house is nice. Why would we not be doing laundry our own house because we've been on holiday and we've been traveling.
Speaker 3: Just because you're only gone short days. I just was like, that's the problem. When I got home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bent all mine up. Actually it's a good point. I do only do laundry in my own house. And you guys actually worked from my house earlier this week, and I think everyone that walked in the front door was like, wow, it smells like laundry in here, because like I had just done heaps of loads of laundry, and I was like, yeah, because they banked it all up from us travel. So sorry, sorry, but miss JESSI I want to know what are you going to be sharing with us this week? What are our community money wins?
Speaker 3: All right? I'm actually going to start off this week with a money loss which came from Lauren. But it's a good reminder for everybody because she said money loss. My doctor didn't tell me I could go to a bulk billing MRI clinic and sent me to one where I had to pay had to pay two hundred and seventy dollars each time for two MRIs. I'm now in a whole heap of medical fees my fracture hand. Many tears have been shared, Lauren. I hope you're feeling okay. I hope your week got better. But also I had to book a doctor's appointment this week just to pick up a new medication. And my normal doctor no longer bulk bills. I've heard that, and I've got on and I checked, and I've heard it's a pretty widespread thing. A lot of local gps are shifting to normal billing, not bulk billings. You're going to go in check or use the hot dog app because it tells you whether they're bulk built or not. Hot doc apps grow. It's so yady. I don't know what we did before it, but yeah, if you're going to the doctor, I would say, don't get stung, because I, like Lauren, got bit in the butt unfortunately, So check your doctors. But moving on to a money win this week, I have one from Alexandra who said I went to the Hunter Markets on the weekend as a storeholder. I made seven hundred dollars on clothes I was just throwing out nice I also managed to score Tony Bianco sandals for ten dollars brain New money Ween money Ween. We held a store that once we.
Speaker 2: Did, I didn't make seven hundred bucks. Stock was she selling?
Speaker 3: I know, if you've got any tips for Alexander, let us know.
Speaker 2: She's like, have better outfits, Jessica.
Speaker 3: Maybe that was exactly stop trying to.
Speaker 2: Sell everybody your trash and start partying with those Maxi dresses everyone keeps asking me for.
Speaker 3: Next, money win comes from a Laura who said I wanted to buy the She's on the Money budget journal, but because it was my birthday on Saturday, I ended up getting it as a gift. Money win hard.
Speaker 2: I love a little She's on the Money gift.
Speaker 3: As a present. I think it's so sweet. Next, I've got a money win from Taylor, who said money win. I purchased a very reasonably priced secondhand reformer from my local Coloni studio.
Speaker 2: That's not a thing so reasonably priced reform.
Speaker 3: It's a reformer, how clever, though I would never have even thought to buy one.
Speaker 2: A pillartis reformer. It's like apparatus that you know when you see like those really skinny women on Instagram on the reformer pilarates mission like the thing you lay down on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh she.
Speaker 2: Thought the whole thing she bought like a whole thing.
Speaker 3: She put a photo. It looks real cute nook. My god, wowow, wow, gosh.
Speaker 2: I want one of those so bad, but I didn't realize how expensive they were, and I tried to buy one. I was looking everywhere IL was on, like eBay and Facebook, Marketplace and gum Tree, and they were all a couple of thousand dollars. So the massage has nabbed one cheaply money wine.
Speaker 3: I love that for you. And then one last money win that we shared on Instagram this week, The Victorian Energy Bonus if you're in VIC is back, so previously fifty dollars rus Jessica.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you're thinking, oh I already got it, I can't get it. No, No, it's renewed. It's just renewed, so even if you compared your energy bill previously, you can jump on the website and we'll have it linked in the show notes. Or I think we popped on as stories this week and get yourself a free two hundred and fifty bucks because why not week?
Speaker 2: Don't say we don't do anything for you. With She'ese on the Money, You're welcome. All right, guys, we're going to go to a really quick break. But on the flip side, we're going to be talking about hex stet and we're also unpacking what happens when your friend pulls out of a trip but you've already paid and now it's going to cost you more. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Should we jump arriety into this week's money dilemma because I feel like we're gonna have a lot to say.
Speaker 2: I'm ready leg go Hi there. Have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Heyving and team, I just have a question about HEX. I currently around twenty thousand dollars in my HEX debt at my current job. I have been working there for about two years now, and obviously with every paycheck I get, I get a little bit less, and that is going towards paying my HEX off. I have noticed, though, recently, that my job has only made one repayment on my HEX and it's only been for about one thousand dollars, which doesn't really add up with the amount of money that's been coming out of my pay packet because of that, So I wanted to know how often should our employers be making these repayments and what can we do about it if they're not.
Speaker 4: I don't have any advice for this one, obviously. Okay, I know that's not shocking, but that is a really good question. I do wonder that myself. Is the interest, like is the interest on HEX indexation?
Speaker 2: There's indexations I'm paying interest, which, yeah, Jess, carry on. I'll let you you take the reins on this one, because I know you know.
Speaker 3: So indexation is adjusted for inflation every year, if I am, is it that correct? Victoria after far?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this is great. It's an average of the previous two financial years, so you're not going to get slammed with this year's inflation rate. But obviously it's going to be high because this year's inflation rate was relatively high. It will be an average of the last two financial years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So saying that this year indexational grapple. And we had question a few weeks ago from someone, if I remember correctly, asking about if they should look at paying that back because indexation is jumping quite a bit this year. But that's all we're asking. We're asking how often should we contributing? And I actually don't know the answer to that. VD.
Speaker 2: So your employer is actually going to withhold additional amounts from each of your pay period and then send that full amount to the ATO, So obviously I don't know what you're earning. That context would have helped. Obviously it's going to be in line with your income as to how much you're paying back each year. But a thousand dollars does not sound correct in any circumstance. So I'm assuming that they haven't done that. There could be a couple of reasons for this. So as an employer, I pay back HEX every time I do tax, and I do tax four times a year. I do my business tax whenever I get my best statement, which was my business activity statement, And that's just a way for small business owners or even just normal business owners to keep up with making sure that you know, come June thirty, I don't get lumped with every single dollar of tax that I was meant to pay for that twelve month period. Like that does not sound sexy. So I do it every three months. So I make sure that your souper is done quarterly, and I make sure that you know everything is up to date and squeaky clean. But I pay on a monthly basis, So I take it out of your pages every single month and withhold it and then pay it in a quarterly amount because that's just when I log in and do that process. In saying that there are some employers who might do that on a weekly basis, because you can do that on a weekly basis, I just don't like admins light put it off at the end of the day. It's going to, you know, depend on the employer. But obviously at the end of each pay period or financial year, they should have sent the full amount to your HEX to make sure it is being paid off. So what happens then is the ATO is going to calculate your help or HEX repayments when you lodd your tax return to make sure that everything's lining up, because what could have happened is you got a higher paying job halfway through the years, so your help repayments were higher and therefore you know there might be a difference there, or maybe you forgot to tell your new employer that you even had a help repayment and you're in a bit of a pickle and have to pay back a bit more. So they're just making sure that all the boxes are ticked and everything has been done correctly. Obviously, if it turns out that your employers withheld too much, you might get a refund, which could be really sexy. And obviously if they've not paid enough, you might need to actually pay and that might be a liability for you. But essentially, you doing your tax return is going to tell you whether your employer paid that or not. So it's not just like a voluntary thing. It's obviously necessary and you're going to find out when you do your tax return because your help slash hex's debt is related to the ATO and completely connected, so they'll be able to tell you. So if you're worried that your employer hasn't done this, I wouldn't go full gung ho to begin with I would actually contact the ATO and ask about it. I would log into my portal on the MyGov website first, have a look at it. If that's not making sense, I would then literally call the ATO. They're super friendly there, I promise, and they will help you, and they will go all right, no worries, Let's have a look at what should have been paid versus what we have currently withheld for it to be processed. But the best way to find that out is if you do tax return basically, and then at that point, if your employer isn't actually paying the right amount or there's been stuff that has been missed, that's when you would talk to your employer. If the business is bigger, I would talk directly to payroll and be like, what the heck is going on? Obviously it's less and this is not a good thing, but it's less of an issue the bigger the company. So obviously the bigger the company, the more clean the processes are usually going to be. And if your hex repayments have been missed, it's usually just like literally a processing slash admin error and they'll probably fix it up quick smart. If your employer is a little bit of a cheeky rabbit and not doing the right thing, and they're a small business. That might be a harder conversation to be had, but know you're worth and follow it. I think we don't need to be aggressive in these circumstances. Just hey, you haven't paid me this. It needs to be fixed. Otherwise I'll take it up with the ATO.
Speaker 4: Could it be possible that it looks like that amount or you know, what you think should have been paid hasn't been paid simply because of that indexation thing, so it looks like only a thousand dollars been paid.
Speaker 3: Potentially, like if she's looking at like the total amount on your hex statement, Like if you go into your Mygove portal and click on your hex statement, it will tell you what payments have been made and what indexation has been implied in separate line items, so it will be really broken down.
Speaker 2: It will be very clear for you to be able to see as somebody who has a ridiculous hex step. Still I look at that and it makes me angry. So I do know that that document quite well. But also it might just be because your tax hasn't been lodged yet and it hasn't all been reconciled. So that's why I'm saying, just check first, because you don't want to accuse your employer of not paying it when maybe they have, because that could especially if they're a small business, it could just be really awkward. Like I mean, Jess, I'd find it really awkward if you're like the you haven't paid this, and I'd be like, oh my gosh, I definitely have let me go fix this. Yeah, Like, I'm not saying that obviously i'd tackle that head on, but I think it's one of those things where I'd be really upset if there was a lack of trust. And I'm not saying that that should ever come into play. I'm just saying, like, approach these things with a level of caution just because you don't want to get someone offside, because by saying that, you're kind of saying I don't really trust this process. Please fix but dott all your eyes and cross all UT's beforehand to make sure it hasn't been paid before you go all right, you haven't paid my hex, and I can go, heck, what has happened. Maybe I've forgotten to do it, or maybe I've taken it out of the wrong account. Maybe it hasn't been processed yet, and it can be an open honest conversation. I think approaching these things as though it should be an open honest conversation. Like if I just said to you, hey, Beck, my hex hasn't been paid, can we just fix that? It's not so much. I was just wondering, No, no, my hex hasn't been paid. It needs to be paid. Yeah, Like at the end of the day, it's just a very pragmatic conversation. We don't need to make this emotional. So that's where I would be going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of open honest conversations, this week, someone's let into our DMS about a topic that I feel like requires exactly that. What did they say?
Speaker 2: You're right, Jess. We had a very interesting community dilemma because I feel like this could cause a few arguments in friendship grips. So did our DM set hello, this is for the community DM. My friends and I have planned a trip to Bali. We paid for everything and it was all locked and loaded until one of my friends said she can't make the trip anymore because of work. She pulled out and it's going to cost us around three hundred dollars extra each and we just don't think we should have to foot her bill after she's agreed. Her argument is that we're the ones going and she isn't, so it's not fair for her to pay. Not sure how to approach it or frame it for her in a way that she's going to understand.
Speaker 3: Awkward, that is awkward, no chance.
Speaker 4: If I've done that before, I've pulled out of a trip last minute, I just I'm sorry. That's not my money anymore.
Speaker 3: That's gone into the petty couple loss. Like I feel like in this situation, and I've been that person too. I did it last year when we went to Europe. I had like a little weekend away booked and then you're like, do you want to go to Europe? And I was like, yes, I would like to go to Europe.
Speaker 2: So obviously, like I didn't know that happened. Sorry for putting you in that situation, but.
Speaker 3: No, it's so fine, and it's a group of friends that we go away with pretty regularly, so I didn't feel bad.
Speaker 2: It wasn't black guy, now I feel bad.
Speaker 3: No, No, it wasn't like a one year thing that I like bailed on, because then I would feel bad but in that situation, I literally said, oh, I can't make it, and that was the end of the conversation because from my perspective, if I pull my money out, you've accommodated for me within that group, Like the accommodation, you've accounted for ten people so instead of nine people, and you've if you've pre booked activities. I don't see the reason that somebody else should wear change of mind. And I know that it's more complex if maybe you've pulled out because you're sick and you don't want to get other people or whatever, but.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, that's still that's still a cost, like as an offable booking. From my perspective, I don't mean to be rude, but like it's the risky tech pay to play baby totally and like you know, if if someone else is like, hey, I'll take your place and I'll pay you for it, oh yeah, but if not, then unfortunately, it's just yeah, there's going to be a bed there that was allocated to you have to soak that up. Like, yeah, we've done group trips before, and I'm sure you guys have done it where everyone kind of has this chat we all want to go on a group trip. You know, there's ten of us going, so we find a place that's within our budget because we know, all right, well Beck said that she reckons two hundred bucks for accommodation for the weekndle it's you know, times that by the ten people that are there. If you've set your budgets and you've you know, communicated with your friends like this is what this is, and you know you've all agreed, ye for me to then say, oh, well I don't want to come, my two hundred dollars for the weekend should be divided and you know, soaked out by the rest of you. Absolutely not, Like, if you've committed to taking that, you've committed to that expense, and if you think you're going to pull out, why are you committing to that trip and lulling people into the false sense of security that they're going to have a cheaper trip than they actually are. That's not fair.
Speaker 3: Like from my perspective, it's just an inability to take I think responsibility for yourself and your choices or you'll and again obviously like being sick for example, maybe not a choice. However, you know, if you book something really far in advance, you know that there's a risk of that happening. That's why you have insurance if you're traveling and things like that. But I think you can't expect other people to be responsible for your issues or your problems or your choices or whatever, like whatever comes up, that's a you problem, Like I don't think it's reasonable, and you don't know the circumstances that everyone else is in, Like maybe they've really stretched their budget to go on this holiday to Bali.
Speaker 2: Which lots of people do. Ah.
Speaker 3: I used to literally come home with like seventiesens in my bank account when I like, I've definitely been there. And so if you had said to me if I was in that situation a week before, you like, you're gonna have to cough up an extrap to go a few bucks, I would have been like, I do not have that. You literally do not have the dollars to give you, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and it's not fair, Like I don't think that you should become a financial burden on other people, Like it is not other people's responsibility to carry you. So I'm pretty cut and dry with that because I have been stung by that before. I've had those arguments where it's like, well, if you're not coming, either replace yourself or pay for it. And I feel like there are also circumstances where it's like it's not appropriate to replace yourself either. So like there might be like a couple's trip and you know, Jess, I've invited you and your partner and my partner and I going away and there's another couple and we've all agreed that we're comfortable with that. I don't want you to turn around and be like, all right, well, I'll find another couple that I know that can pay for this and go on a holiday with you guys that we don't know. Like that, to me, it's not an appropriate compromise. Like I think that that's just you're going to get slapped with that cost because I booked a house with three bedrooms, and one of those, regardless of whether you're there or not, is going to be allocated to you, whether you sleep in that bed or not. So I just I think it's a really awkward conversation to have. And I think that this is such an issue that I think it happened a lot when I was younger, right, I think now that most of my friends are a little bit more financially secure and maybe a little bit more mature about these things. They are like, I can't imagine that happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Remember when I was like in my twenties and we're traveling and like, you know, doing the Bali thing or going away for girls' weekends, and then someone will drop out because they've got a shift at work or something, and being like, oh, well, no, beg you, actually you should be paying for that, and they're like, nah, I've got to go to work, Like that's not like, oh, I do not miss the drama of being in my early twenties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, acknowledging that it sucks being the person sometimes, Like I'm sure that if this person's got a job, they're probably bummed out. Or if you've gotten sick and you can't.
Speaker 2: Got to pay for something I can't use. I get it, totally.
Speaker 3: Get that that sucks. But I'm interested to know what everyone else thought, because it feels like we're all on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think that if you're going to book a trip with girl friends or a trip with any other people, you need to have the mindset of this. If I pay, it is a non refundable trip, regardless of what the booking says, it's non refundable because all your friends are still going, and that's just not fair totally. We did ask some exploratory questions, jess So, we said, have you ever had a friend pull out of a holiday last minute? Thirty six percent of you said yes.
Speaker 3: Lower than I thought. To be honest, really, I kind of thought it would be like almost fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: So someone said, if yes, did this impact the cost of the holiday you're having?
Speaker 3: Sixty seven percent said yes, they.
Speaker 2: Had to absorb the cost. Yeah, I'm not surprised. I'm just mad about it.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Someone said, did you pay the difference or did they? Fifty one percent said yeah, we had to make up the difference. Forty nine percent nope, the person who pulled out paid the extra. Yeah, the heck. And then when we asked for your two cents. A lot of people obviously, I'm not surprised that this happened. Does that happens every week? They agreed with our point of view, Jessica. It's almost like our community. But also people were like, oh my gosh, this is such a tough one. Both sides are valid. Can't wait to hear the consensus on the pod. You're welcome, Yes, indep, you enjoyed. Someone said I'd feel so uncomfortable asking a friend to pay for a holiday they can't attend, which I think is a flip side, Like I get.
Speaker 4: That, I get it, I get it, But if it's everything's being booked already, then they're not going out of their way to pay for something that they can't attend. It's more like everyone paid. I'm assuming everything's being paid for and they kind of want their money back. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I feel like it really filters into the reason that they're not going as well. So like if your friend had said, oh my gosh, I've just found out that I've been made redundant. I have no job. Yeah, I feel like in that circumstance you probably would be more open to having the conversation. Were like, okay, we get it. Like being empathetic, I can understand and be more inclined to absorb the cost. But I think if in this situation, I'm really sorry, I can't go at clashes. I've just got a new job. You're applying for jobs knowing that you had that coming up, and it's either a conversation that maybe you could have had with you and your employer, like can I start afterwards? It's not really something that I think is reasonable to put back on.
Speaker 2: I just I couldn't agree. More like the general consensus for me is you should not be somebody else's financial burden. Like that's from me, and a few other people said, Look, it depends how far in advance the trip was booked. Can they find a replacement or is it too late. If it's too late, they have to pay, which we obviously have just touched on. Someone said, it makes me so frustrated as this has happened to me. It's why I just choose to travel alone or only with my boyfriend. Someone said, obviously, it's completely dependent on the reason they've dropped out. Someone said, if they knew it was non refundable, ie with the hotel or the airline, then they have to front the bill. And then yeah, everything else was a little bit very similar to what we said, and then someone else said it seems pretty greedy on my friend's behalf. I was like, oh, okay, Like I feel like that's aggressive because I think you've touched on something Jess. It really depends on what it is. Like I mean, if a parent got sick or something really popped up, I would be like, oh my gosh, Like obviously I would prefer not to spend this, but like, I don't want my friend to be out. I think that friendships give and take, Like I want to support my friends where possible. And I'm not the type of person, even though being quite aggressive in this conversation, I would say, I'm a relatively generous person, Like I don't want other people to, you know, be financially struggling or you know, I'm the first to go, oh my god, well, Beck, if you can't afford it, like I'm happy to chip in a little bit more. That's showing my privilege. But at the same time, if I didn't have that amount of money, like it would be a stress on me, and that's not fair to expect. So I think it's one of those things where it is really situational.
Speaker 3: I have a hypothetical for you, right, I'm ready. So ten of us have booked to go to Bali together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone's pulled out because they've got a new job. They've given us eight weeks notice. The hotel, we can still refund it. Do we go through the effort of refunding the hotel, finding a new hotel, rebooking the hotel based on the fact that this person can't come and they're refusing to pay the cost? Like, would you like, do you think it is worth with that much notice going to that effort with that much Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would say no. Do you know why I'd say no? Why because you told me that we're traveling in a group of ten. How much is the accommodation, Like is it, you know, two hundred bucks or is it two thousand dollars? Like? Are we staying in a luxury filler? Because I'm assuming if we're traveling as a group of ten, we probably had to book somewhere that sleeps twelve to begin with. Do you know what I mean? If you book somewhere that sleeps ten, then it's usually like four bedrooms and then two people have to sleep on the couch. But if you like, I'm just thinking too much about this, I'm really sorry.
Speaker 3: But saying would you rather?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I hate playing would you rather? We do this all the time? Beck we play would you rather? When we go to airports and We're sitting like in the lounge waiting for our fly love that game, and Gabby always asks the best would you rather questions? But then Jess gets into the nitty gritty of like, well, okay, well if I had need to have all the information, yeah, like I need to have all the information, And if I was going to be a dog with human hands or a cat with a human face, like, am I pretty?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You really?
Speaker 2: I totally get it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get right into the nitty gritty of it.
Speaker 2: She's like a decision on my hands. If I'm a dog with human hands, are they functional? Like Cahn? I wave like yeah, okay, anyway, I think that that's important because am I going to go find another place? Is the cost actually just going to be the same to have somewhere that sleeps nine people instead of ten because it's a group booking? Or do we book separate hotel rooms for every single person staying, in which case it might be worth it. But if we've booked a group holiday and we've booked a nice villa and there's ten beds and ones allocated to you, I don't think we should be changing locations. Or if you're probably why people don't go on holidays with me.
Speaker 3: If you're a person who is cam, Yeah, do you think a good way to approach the conversation if you have this theoretical abundance of time is to say, I've looked at the cost, I don't want to put you guys out. Here's a potential alternative. I'm happy to do the admin work to cancel and rod that's kind. We think that that's maybe like a happy medium if you're this person in a situation that we're acknowledging does suck. Absolutely, Is that maybe a middle ground to approach it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, if there's a cheaper alternative and you've offered to do the grunt work. Absolutely, Yeah, I think that that's actually the smart thing to do, or even offered suitable alternatives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's a nice middle Like the finding of the person that you were saying before, Like if you have an activity and it's reasonable to you know, bring someone else in, like, oh, I can't make it, but my other friend that you're also friends with, my colleague, Yeah, here's my coworker.
Speaker 2: But to overlay that, like let's say we do that someone's yeaeded and they're not coming on our group cheery, but at ten it's now down to nine. You and I know Jess that there's a spare bed. So we invite another friend. You now under the obligation to release the first person, I think, because you've replaced them. Absolutely give We give Beck her money away. No, no, no, they can't pay an addition, so like you replace it go all right, Beck, Like you get your money back because we actually found someone to replace you.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, But you should have been in the position, from my perspective, to say, Okay, well I'm going to pay for this unless I'm replaced. Yes, okay, okay, but that person who's replacing can't pay, is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: No, No, they pay, They pay you exactly. I think the person replacing pay.
Speaker 2: They pay you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't get a free ride.
Speaker 4: No, it's like a bond transfer when you're geology.
Speaker 2: It's a bond transfer in the share house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the temporary.
Speaker 2: Share house, share house, temporary share villa. We should Bali.
Speaker 3: I love where this is going in Bali.
Speaker 2: She's on the money.
Speaker 3: A single who listens to this podcast for covering.
Speaker 2: Would you have Balley meet and greet to make it a tax deduction? We could take. We could pack up all our pod stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh god, we can potcasts from anywhere.
Speaker 2: I just I don't want to say trip.
Speaker 3: I was anyone does.
Speaker 2: Anyone that went down really well?
Speaker 3: Just car so back in the day, I'm getting I can't.
Speaker 2: A makeup brand in the eye.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, tart tr T. I'm getting way off track. I might not.
Speaker 2: No, I love it if this makes it to the cod Just no content this week was dire.
Speaker 3: It's a beauty brand. They used to do make up trips for influencers and so that they would go and they would go to Bali and they'd do these huge villas and they'd brand everything and they'd be free stuff.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: It was a whole thing, okay, And then they did it again this year. It was like the first time post COVID, and it blew up on TikTok because there was a lot of discourse around who was invited and I was like literruly no diversity it was, but also people not really comprehending the fact that it was probably more affordable for them to send everyone on this luxury trip to Dubai. I think it was then it would be for them to buy and add on television for example. So it's like a cost benefit thing, getting very off track. But anyway, like we could do that, but everything's.
Speaker 2: Also just a little bit insensitive coming out of COVID, being like here's a big fancy influencer tree. Anyway, there's a lot to break down about that circumstance and.
Speaker 3: Slip into it. Just you guys know that's in Bali one day soon.
Speaker 2: We can they can brandon villa. She's on the money. Do you know what, It'll probably be cheaper to have a villa in Bali for a month that it is to run our office in the city for a month. So I reckon, that's a good trade off. Let's go, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it really really quickly to get back on track.
Speaker 2: We don't want to us back on track.
Speaker 3: We don't want to know, sorry for you guys work.
Speaker 2: We want to go to Bali.
Speaker 3: We can do that.
Speaker 2: We can do that straight after.
Speaker 4: So in this DM they did mention, how do I best approach this so that the other person can understand it?
Speaker 2: Such a good send them this episode, send them episode. But also I would say very aggressive. They might know you've been talking.
Speaker 3: About really aggressive.
Speaker 4: Imagine just sending this without any context. Maybe don't don't do that. Actually, maybe just like.
Speaker 2: Send it to them with a time stamp so they can't see how the stuff. Yeah, only listen to the path that's about them. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Or I would say, just kind of explain it, give them some quick math.
Speaker 2: Actually, maybe give.
Speaker 4: Them too many numbers so they get a bit confused, and just say, Okay, I'm happy to release the money, but that.
Speaker 2: It's not acceptable back community, not in this.
Speaker 3: Is the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: He knows them.
Speaker 4: Just explain that. You know it's you guys all took into consideration how much you're willing to spend with that person in mind, and you would have calculated it differently if you knew that they were going to bail, So you can't all afford.
Speaker 3: To put out any more money at this stage. And hopefully they understand. That's my two cents and a good lesson for anyone going forward if you are booking big group trips is maybe have that conversation up front and just say, hey, everyone, we're locking this in if anyone's got to pull out, are we all on the same page in regards to you bail too? Bout there's a whole conversation to have around that as well, about what happens if everybody doesn't want to chip in and then someone's put it on their credit card and they're out.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. It's a whole thing. But I think we just need to be the future. Yes, let's do another episode about traveling to Bali, but we do it from Barlie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's really, she's like hypher fixated at this day. I'm going to do it.
Speaker 2: Catch me in Bali, guys. I will see you there all right, talking about catching me later. I think we should go. This episode has gotten off track. I think our producer is going to have something to say about it. But what we can do is go to Bali so she can't catch us. See you next week, guys. Bye, guys. By The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs Victoria divine and she's on the money. Are authorized representatives of Money SPA pty Ltd. A B E N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine