Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Sanatasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for brides who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, which means it is time to sit back with the girls with a bev in hand, to celebrate Victoria's upcoming wedding, but also to unpack our favorite moments of the week, and of course to celebrate you me my wedding, but also you guys, our incredible She's on the Money community. As always, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to discuss what's making news in the Finance World, and we're going to be helping answer a juicy money question, which this week isn't about money, it's about employment.
Speaker 2: We're going to be talking about how to approach your employer.
Speaker 4: When it comes to difficult conversations about salary and job description. But first, as always, it is time to recap the week that was. Missus greed she what have you got for us this week?
Speaker 5: Staris was an absolute powerhouse and I think her childhood had a little bit to do or a lot to do with her money story. She said she grew up with a single mum who worked really hard to give her the things that she needed, and she ended up going out and buying her first property or by herself, which she now rents to her grandparents, which is very, very wholesome. She leveraged the equity from that property to get into a second home, and she really just worked super hard to build everything up for herself. She's just started her investment journey, which we love to see. And it was really fun because she was telling us about her partner, who is a financial advisor as well, and she was saying that her partner was so impressed with how much she knows and she learned it all in the pod, which was just the sweetest thing ever. And we thought we'd spice your Sunday up this week with a very special bonus episode which was all about the psychology of saving Victoria had a special guest, doctor Lily Sussman join her. Lily's actually a social scientist and the chief strategy officer at Weiser. Her PhD research at Harvard was on decision making, behavioral economics and psychology in foreign policy decision making, so she's very smart and very legitimate, and it was a super interesting chat all about the kind of taboo topic of financial stress and the disconnect between the intention and action, as well as the importance of self love and how to make meaningful change. It was such a good episode, and that meant that you've got five episodes this week, including Radio How Crazy Is That?
Speaker 4: And straight over to you on the other side of the table, Miss Georgia King. What did we talk about on our Wednesday episode?
Speaker 6: Hello VD? We spoke all about passive investing, so we've spoken about it briefly in contrast to active investing fairly recently, a few months ago maybe, but this time we really honed in on exactly what passive investing is. We learned that it's very much long term strategy, it's lower risk than a more active approach, and that it primarily uses index funds. But because there's plenty more to.
Speaker 4: Know, I love that one of my favorite topics, to be honest, hot girl stuff is definitely passive invest Ten out of ten gives you more time for other stuff that you might want to get done. All right, Georgia King, it's time for our budget direct money wins and confessions of the week.
Speaker 2: What have you got for us?
Speaker 6: Alrighty, girly, So the first win of the week comes from Carolyn. I've been looking for a four match of powder everywhere. I was shopping at Aldi today and it was only seven dollars ninety nine for one hundred and thirty grams. That was down from nine dollars ninety nine. If that was that'sn't already cheaping up?
Speaker 2: I MITCHA. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Have you guys been to much a Maiden?
Speaker 4: No, but it used to be owned by my friend Sarah Holloway. Not anymore, Sarah Davidson. Sorry, she's gotten spiritual of Sarah. Congradulation, Lady Sah sold it what a baller. Imagine being an owner of a business meanings I sold the business absolutely still don't know how much match it costs, but moving on, carry on the next week it comes from Sammy, I did my groceries online for the first time, which means I only bought what we actually needed. Weird flex it cost me half as much as what it usually does if I go into the store. Do you guys ever shop online?
Speaker 1: We do?
Speaker 5: You click and collect sometimes, but I don't like that. You don't get to pick your producer and meat, and I only will try and get things that are like, not very ripe so that I have lots of time to use them, whereas I feel like sometimes if they've got a clear stuff out that goes into the click and collect waters Yeah, yeah, so I don't love that.
Speaker 4: Can you leave a note and be like, hey, I want unwrite bananas and they'll be like, okay, scener worries.
Speaker 6: I think it could be a solution. Yeah, okay, all right, well done, Sammy. The next win it comes from Lena money Win. I've been the only one at my gym's group class lately, which means I'm getting a private session for freehead.
Speaker 2: That's actually so smart.
Speaker 4: And you're not even paying for a group session. You're just going to the gym and getting free pet exactly.
Speaker 6: Not bad. Next win comes from Courtney money Win. My family are always extremely generous when it comes to birthdays and Christmases, and I have a habit of stashing these cards away with money inside for a rainy day. Anyway, I decided it was finally time to clean up my office today and inside an old birthday card was a cheeky two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh she wasn't joking when she said they were generous.
Speaker 6: Very generous. I think I've only ever seen the red notes. Oh yes, Range, no pineapples for you, No pineapples for me. The next win it comes from Leanne money Win. I got a bigger yearly bonus from my employer, which wasn't expected. That's paid for my brand new lounge.
Speaker 2: We love to work.
Speaker 6: The next one is a loss. It comes from DD money Loss. I had to replace my car windshield, which was five hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a big piece of glass though, and it is a big piece of glass. But then DD wrote it wasn't as bad as I just started an emergency fund for things exactly like this, and the relief of having that there made a stressful situation really manageable.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 6: The final win of today Ladies comes from Katie, and it's a really good idea money win. Last year, my partner and I were gifted a super snazzy coffee machine for our engagement party. I decided to set myself a challenge and every time I made a coffee at home, I would transfer the five dollars that I would have spent at the cafe into my brokerage account for investing.
Speaker 2: Oh smart.
Speaker 6: I just hit the one year mark of the challenge and I've crunched the numbers and there's now two hundred and five dollars in there that I've been able to save and invest, on top of what I already put aside weekly.
Speaker 2: How good is that it did you?
Speaker 6: She didn't even miss it. She had that snazzy coffee machine. Well done, Katie, but a good idea for all.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Also, what kind of person gets engaged in gets a bougie coffee machine? Those things are close to two grand.
Speaker 6: A lucky person.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. That's a good present.
Speaker 4: All right, gee, as always, it has been fantastic celebrating some of your budget Direct money wins. Budget Direct winner of kan Stars Insurer of the Year Award twenty twenty two. Budget Direct Insurance Solved. All right, we're going to go to a really quick break and after that we're going to be talking about Patagonia when it comes to finance news, and we've got a good question about employment and how to discuss tricky topics with your boss.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere writing, guys.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about patagronew which, for people who aren't familiar, cute, little outdoorsy brand. They do little, bold, huge outdoorsy brand. They do clothes, they do hiking gear. They're very climate focused, which is important. Their founder, whose name we were playing on Google before to try and do we put.
Speaker 2: Your mic on it, standby Evon. Yeah, him, I think pretty well.
Speaker 4: Evil.
Speaker 5: We're gonna call him Ivonyon. Sorry, Sorry, I'm strange age Yvon recently announced that he's given away almost all of the company's ownerships that's patagrone out to a nonprofit which is dedicated to fighting climate change, which is freaking incredible. It's flipping amazing, like, literally, he's a billionaire and he's like, have all my company, that's all good.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to say, it's the planet over here. What are you doing? Elon Musk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's pretty much dedicated. Excess profits from the company will now go towards fighting the environmental crisis and defending nature instead of going into the pockets of somebody or sitting in a bank account or an investment or goodness knows where. Since nineteen eighty five, the company's actually pledged one percent of its annual sale to preserve and restore the natural environment.
Speaker 4: Which is big when it comes to a business because it is hard to make profit in the best of times. But to have pledged for so long one percent then flipping around being like how jokes hab it all?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In twenty eighteen, they actually changed their purpose statement to We're in business to save our home planet. So it's been something that's been really strongly aligned to their brand for a long time. We've spoken before about greenwashing and how brands often try to capitalize on the climate crisis and use it for their own benefit. This is such a good case of someone talking the talk and walking the walk in such an incredible way. So the company is now owned by the Patagonia Purpose Trust and the environmental nonprofit the hold Fast Collective. So the hold Fast Collective now owned ninety eight percent of the company, but they won't have any decision making authority. So firstly, really interesting to know that you can kind of divvy up and compartmentalize those things the profits here, but they're decision.
Speaker 2: Making stace here.
Speaker 4: With a business, yes, you can have shareholders in the business, like for example, I'm a shareholder in Sheese on the Money, but I'm also the director, and if I had another shareholder, I might just be like, oh, you can come into business with me, but you can't be a director, so you can't make any decisions. You just own the company, kind of like when you list a business on the ASX or on any stock exchange. Really you just get to buy in, but you don't have any rights over how the company functions. Whereas sometimes people will come in and be like, well, if I'm buying such a big piece, I want to have a say. It just really depends on I guess what you want and how you want your business to function. So obviously they've gone that way, and they still maintain that two percent share because they need to have some authority so that the business can continue to run. However, I just think it's really interesting. I think it's so cool.
Speaker 5: So do we know if this now makes them like a non for profit? No, so they're still operating as a for profit business. They're just obviously donating that ninety eight percent margin. And additionally, they're still going to donate that one percent of their annual sales to grassroots environmental nonprofits as well. So they're basically just saying take it all, like, take all of us him off the top. Obviously, they'll maintain a very small amount that will go to the family In terms of profit, they're paying their salaries all of that stuff as normal, but they're donating what I would imagine to be a lot huge amount of money.
Speaker 4: Well, the businesses worth three billion dollars and get this g real wholesome he said when he announced it, he was like, I am declaring the Earth will be the sole shareholder of my three billion dollar company, effective immediately.
Speaker 2: What a wholesome story.
Speaker 4: Though I know it happened a few weeks ago, but I keep getting DMS about it, which is why we're bringing it up. And I just think it's a really cool story, especially because I feel like there's so many negative stories around at the moment, and a lot of us are following the Twitter saga with Elon Musk, and to be honest, there's just not that many good news stories around. I think this one is just a really wholesome one that we should highlight.
Speaker 6: Especially not about billionaires. Yeah, we love to see it.
Speaker 5: If you do need some outdoorsy gear, I would suggest how to go and is the best. They have really genuinely good stuff, and I think knowing that your money is going somewhere good is just the icing on the cake.
Speaker 4: Absolute loves Patagonia like him and his mates like hiking, so they're really into it. I've never given it a second thought.
Speaker 5: Go to now though, yea now, Yvonne, Yvonne, Sorry you tried.
Speaker 2: It was worth it, you know what. I think you'll be happy with whatever.
Speaker 4: He doesn't really need the coverage A small podcast Austra Earlia.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on, George King. What time is it?
Speaker 6: It is money dilemma time?
Speaker 2: All right, let's hear it, Hi Beert, have you got.
Speaker 6: A money dilemma? You just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a quick voice recording and you may just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to today's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, I just wanted to know how you might approach an employer and tell them in a polite way that the tasks or roles they are asking you to do or expecting you to do, are not within your job description and they're quite frankly not paying you enough money to do those things.
Speaker 4: I guess I'll just dip out of this because we have one of the most enthusiastic employment not lawyers in the house.
Speaker 5: Just agreeen she giving you the angry eyes from the table sit down. Well, firstly, I love that she's like, I want to just politely say, girl.
Speaker 4: Your polite jess Like I like your all talk though, but every time we've ever had a conversation, you're like very very poised, very presentable, very kind, very well researched.
Speaker 2: I like to think.
Speaker 5: So I think the big thing here is firstly, good on you, Queen for recognizing that you're being taken advantage of, because I think it's important to recognize that that is exactly what's happening, like things are being loaded onto your plate, and you know, to an extent, I think there's reasonable expansion of a role or reasonable growth because you would always hope that your business is moving forward and adjusting. However, if your salary is not adjusting in line with that, or if your hours are not adjusting in line with that, that is a bread flag. It is a crimson flag, as Victoria divine. So I think it's really important to have a conversation directly because more often than not, unfortunately it's very rare for an employer to flag this with you. It's going to be you having the conversation, and I think it's about walking into that conversation prepared af.
Speaker 4: So, be prepared, be prepared, Prepare to fail, prepare to fight.
Speaker 2: Actually quite dramatic. I'm just going to check it out bye.
Speaker 5: But I would say the best place to start with something like this is tracking your hours. Now, some businesses and industries do this already. If you work in law, it's super common to track your billable hours, and you know a lot of professional services are the same. But there are apps that you can get for free that will help you track your time. You can write it in Microsoft Word, you can put it in an Excel spreadsheet, a notebook that you just keep on your desk.
Speaker 2: Don't even have to be official.
Speaker 5: No, anything that works, but you have to get yourself in that habit. I think of tracking your time and tracking how much time you're spending on certain tasks because I think it's really important that when you have these conversations you can come through with empirical data. It's one thing to say I feel like I'm being really overworked or I feel like I'm really exhausted, which is a valid thing to say, but it's much harder to kind of put a value on as opposed to saying, I am spending fifteen hours a week on something that wasn't even a part of my original role description, and that is a very different conversation to have. And from there, I guess it's about reflecting on whether do you want to hand those tasks off to somebody else? Do you want your compensation to adjust? Do you need to look at splitting your role into two roles.
Speaker 2: There are all of.
Speaker 5: These different avenues that you can take, and I think having clarity on that before you have the conversation with your employer means that you can go into the room and be really focused and say, this is what I'm doing, this is the problem, this is the outcome that I would like to see, And hopefully, if they're a good employer, they will be open to having that conversation with you, because if you are overworked or underpaid or unhappy, that's going to be a problem for them ultimately one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, and it impacts their productivity. And if they're trying to get too many things from you, they're going to get subparer of everything. So it's not a good idea from an employer's perspective. Like I would love to think that I'm attuned to this, but like, who knows, I might be living under a rock. I think the important thing is to approach these situations assuming that they don't know what's happening. Because if you're approaching Go Georgia King, you're taking advantage of me and doing this, this and this, it's quite accusatory. You're going to get their back up. You're not going to leave that conversation in a positive space.
Speaker 2: Whereas if you sit.
Speaker 4: Down and be like, hey, i'd really love to discuss my role, priorities and what's going on. Everything's been changing, and like I'm so here for it, but you know some things are falling to the wayside because of it. That's going to be a firm or constructive way to bring up the conversation. And in that conversation you can be quite direct, but we need to make sure that we step back from being accusatory unless your boss or manager or employer is actually taking the mickey, in which case like slaym queen. But I think it's really important to also go all right, like what's the best way to approach this to get the outcome I desire? Because the last thing you want to do is get your boss off side or not come prepared or put yourself in a position where you're not getting what you want. So I think going to the conversation and being like, look, hey, I'd love to have a conversation about what you want me to prioritize, because unfortunately we're at a point where I can't prioritize everything, So what's my number one priority? And they might actually turn around and be like, oh, your number one priority is this, and you go yes, But that's not how I'm feeling. The team is feeling like my priority when it comes to working every day seems to be this because that's what's being put on my plate the most that seems to be falling to the wayside. How can we work towards making this my priority again? And they are going to be fun or receptive because you're showing quite a lot of initiative in that conversation. So I think from my perspective that's where I would come from. But gee, how would you approach this situation?
Speaker 3: Well, what I.
Speaker 6: Wanted to ask before I tell you how I approach it, which is probably the same way that Jess said. Gather your evidence, know what you want to say, be direct, be polite, go about it that way. But how long do you guys think is appropriate before you should bring up the conversation with your boss? So if someone's like, George, I know it's not in your job description, but Janine's just left. We need someone to write this extra copy that's usually outside of the realm of what I'm doing, but they just need me to pick up the slack a little bit for a few weeks whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: Yea, how do you know.
Speaker 6: If that then continues onto like months or is it just.
Speaker 4: Kind of divisive? I don't know what Jess is going to say, which is why I'm going first, Because I just went first, I'd be like, yeah, totally same like and not give my opinion. I'm finding that there's a lot of TikTok content in the moment about this, and it's about being really aggressive with your employer and really pushing back and being like, no, if Jeanine's leaving, you need to pay me for Jeanine's role. And I just I feel like there's some kind of balance when it comes to stuff like that, like, yeah, cool, it's not fair to expect you to go above and beyond, to work above and beyond your actual capacity for a sustained period of time. But I also think that if I'm like, oh, gee, could you just write this Jeanine's way, yeah, no worries like there is usually in an employment contract some level of flexibility, Like in every employment contract I've got, it's obviously got your role description and then it says and any other task deemed appropriate by the director, which means, if I tell you to do it, can you please give me a hand? And in a small business that is really important because it's kind of like, well, I don't have all hands on deck. And I know that people who work for small businesses are usually a bit different to people who really want to work in corporate and that's fine, you do what feels right to you. But I think if you feel like you're having the mickey taken out of you, I would be questioning it or even going, hey, no worries, I can take Janine's work. What would you like me to push off my plate so that I can fit that on? So it might not be a no, I'm not doing it. It might be a no, worries, Jill, I will do that, But that will mean that something else needs to be yeeded.
Speaker 2: What is it going to be?
Speaker 4: And then they might go, oh, well George, I can't and you go, well, I just don't have capacity.
Speaker 2: Is that okay?
Speaker 4: And I think it's an ongoing conversation, But also I think you need to just use your initiative, like if you're like, yeah, no, worries. But also if I knew that they weren't planning on replacing Jeanine and they're like, oh, just take it for a few weeks, and you're loky, like this isn't gonna be a few weeks. Yeah, I would be having a bigger conversation, Jess. Make me look like a bad perpose, No, not all.
Speaker 5: I think the soft touch that you're saying about, like having an initial gentle conversation is super relevant. The other thing that I would flag for our listener is if you are going into bat for this big convo, I would say, set up a time specifically to do it. Don't be having this conversation when you're going to run an errand like this is a tea room or something. Yeah, this is a specific, dedicated conversation. I think for me, you can't really put a timeframe on it because there's a big difference, as you said ved between something has changed and we need to be reactive and that does require a level of flexibility as opposed to something is becoming an ongoing addition to your role. Yeah, and that when it's problematic for me. I would say personally, anything above and beyond kind of four to six weeks. I think that's when you're kind of seeing how it. Four to six weeks, in my mind is generally enough time that if something has happened, I think that's a reasonable amount of time for your management or your company, or whatever the case may be, to have had the problem come to them, sit with it for a little bit, and work towards a resolution. And at the very least you would hope that a conversation had been had around we know Janine's left, We've just started the hiring process, so just so you know, we should have someone in and then two or three weeks, in which case I go, okay, stick it out. If you can have those conversations around what can I drop from my workload to prioritize other things. If it's been four to six weeks and things have just been added and added and then not addressed, and it's been like, oh, well you'll fine, you're coping.
Speaker 4: You're coping, why would we get Janine back? Yeah, I don't need to fill a role. Look out, well, gee's doing.
Speaker 5: That's when I would be looking at booking in a conversation, having a soft touch point first and saying, hey, like I'm feeling really overwhelmed, or I really think it's important that we split this back out because it's a completely different department. I'm you know, a content person and I'm doing law or like probably not.
Speaker 2: Like you've got something.
Speaker 4: This is what happens when you put just under pressure just like spits out stuff that makes no sense to it.
Speaker 5: I'm doing content and I'm doing accounting.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like something that's outside of your realm of work, like having that initial conversation and then if you're really not seeing change, if you're really feeling the pressure booking in a meeting, sitting down and having that conversation I think is important.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Oh, this just polished it off. But I don't think I have anything to add to that.
Speaker 6: I certainly don't.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, yes, we're done with this episode.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 7: Perfect.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get married tomorrow, so I'm ready to go.
Speaker 6: Yay, congratulations comes feeling nervous.
Speaker 2: Not yet, not yet, not yet. I'm very excited, very very excited.
Speaker 4: Good, that's all I've got. No, No, I'm really excited, and I think it'll be really fun. I just you know, last minute stressing. Obviously, this is being recorded a couple of days before, so maybe like by the time Thursday Friday actually comes, I'm going to be stressed out of my brain. But I'm very lucky, and I actually I'm excited to get married, guys, But I'm also really excited to create wedding content because I wanted to wait until after the wedding so I could be like, oh, well, these were my budgets that I blew or these are the budgets that didn't work, because it's silly for me to share budgeting content prior, because that's all like nice to have, right, And I've already blown a few budgets, and I've already been really frustrated by the process. So like, let's make this real content, not aspirational content, because one thing I have learned very quickly is even me being Victoria, she's on the money, who you would expect to be able to stick to a budget, I wasn't able to. It got way too emotional and there were just like too many things that Steve wanted and then I wanted, and then coming to a compromise, like it just blew out in certain areas which we've come to terms with. But I just didn't expect it. I did genuinely expect more for.
Speaker 2: Myself when it game to budget as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so MITTI shaded, got my tail between my legs. But you know what, Hopefully I will be on the next episode saying it was the best day of my thie life.
Speaker 6: You will, my dearl, It'll be fantastic. See you after the word in Bye Bye you.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine