Speaker 1: Welcome everybody. This is me putting on a professional voice because the last two intros Paul has deemed too offensive and I'm not allowed to put them in. Sorry about the delay in the show, everybody, We're a professional podcast. Moving forward. Just kidding, just kidding. Jake's guys, it's been a while between drinks. Yeah, I blame you. Yes, I've been away. You've been away. You were sick.
Speaker 2: At one point that we will meet to film, I said I was sick, but yeah, I got that vibe.
Speaker 1: You sounded fine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, right at the end of the call, when someone calls in sick, they're like, oh shit, I got a cough and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very much like I've got the black lung pops and then mal he gave me the fucking time off. Let's go. Yeah, I was sick the family. Everyone had COVID, so I'm got crook. Well, well you were in town for something, weren't you. Yes, what was it? Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: I was up with Joe Achilles, who were going to have on the podcast.
Speaker 1: We had a new best mate.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did a couple of shows, did a couple of shows, so one it wasn't a show.
Speaker 1: It was like a YEAHJ J, that's it. That's that's an awkward reference.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one that I unfortunately know, but let's not go there. But yeah, we're in Sydney to do the Sydney Show at BMW Sydney in Rush Cutters Base Shine Dealership. But yeah, we actually drove from and I'll just quickly run through this. We drove from Melbourne to Sydney in two BMW seven series. One was a seven forty and the other was an I seven. And we wanted to figure out whether it is actually cheaper to do the drive in a petrol car or an EV how much inconvenience is sort of added to it all?
Speaker 1: And I do love that you chose BMW for that comparison to you poor bars.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, we did this once with our balls and I in an EV six and an out in Q five days.
Speaker 1: I remember that. Yeah, adelaid to Sydney and PA was where you met Donna. Correct, that's right.
Speaker 2: So people bitch that they weren't the same car as in it wasn't like that was that was diesel and that was the EV version. So we thought, well let's make it equal and BMW had the seven Series available in both petrol and EV and we thought.
Speaker 1: We'll give it a crack.
Speaker 2: Obviously, they are very expensive and not a realistic car, but if you just transpose those two cars with any other two cars that have an internal combustion and an EV version, you can kind of follow the same routine and further caveat to that is, obviously the seven Series is heavy, and if you did it in a lighter electric vehicle it would be different. But the premise is the BMW claims to do at least five hundred kilometers on a single charge. So in the future, when cheaper evs have more range and a lighter and blah blah blah, this should be the same story. So anyway, we set off from Melbourne and I thought it's going to be a bit uneventful list because you know, the BMW.
Speaker 1: Is just it just kind of just works.
Speaker 2: Everything was fine then halfway Our plan was to stop at Tarcuta, which is halfway between Melbourne and Sydney.
Speaker 1: What was it called Tarcuta? Tarkata, It's like the sounds regional town I probably did radio in once upon. It's just about bloody half an hour from tear a bag apart. No, No, my down the road from Kicking Can around Tarakata.
Speaker 2: So halfway there, I got a message from Jade in our office and she goes, oh, have any of the EV charges worked?
Speaker 1: And I said, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And she goes, the Optus network is down and I'm like, yeah, so what So at these EV charges it has to authenticate your credit card and stuff, and half of them were on the Optus network. So I was at this point about half an hour away from Tarkata and that was our destination. And I said, look, we can turn around and go somewhere else. But I mean, this is part of the story, right if I if it doesn't work, then you guys continue driving and I'll just hang around somewhere.
Speaker 1: Else's the problem you get a children too.
Speaker 2: It listened to Gordy's success or a Tarkata a FM, the Sound of the Coast or the Sound of Inland.
Speaker 1: Which the music we all love now huge Blinda carlor.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I started getting a bit of range anxiety because I arrived at Tarkata with two percent battery left, like it was almost empty. And the other thing we were going to do on this trip was make sure that we didn't put it in e Co Martos left the AC on twenty one degrees. It was bloody hot, cooled seats running, all that sort of stuff. So anyway, this was the like the only charger in the country that actually still worked. That's incresed some reason. It must have been on Telstrue. They may not have had optors there or something. So thankfully that worked. Put a bit juice in it and anyway, long story short, we got to the end and the EV cost so all the charging we brim them at the start, so when we started the road trip it was one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's a thought. He was there to help with that bit, just paul A Joe so having a good brim session.
Speaker 2: So both of them were brimmed at in Hawthorne in the back the nozzle in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So the EV total cost one hundred and thirty one dollars and ninety two cents one.
Speaker 1: Point thirty one for the EV yep Okay.
Speaker 2: The petrol car, so this is premium unloaded ninety eight run it costs one hundred and seventeen dollars, So it was cheaper to do the trip in a petrol car than it was to do it in the diesel.
Speaker 1: Someone else did a report on news dot com dot you about about this a similar sort of a thing, and just saying how much it costs to get from say Sydney Melbourne and v as opposed to the usual trip, and not as precise as yours. Obviously not a proper test, but just an observation and interesting.
Speaker 2: So yeah, look, I mean, obviously the BMW would average just over twenty killer what hours per one hundred ks. If you do it in a more efficient car, it'd probably about sixteen or fifteen depending on the car.
Speaker 1: Having said that, you're filling up charging up on the road, right, so it's going to be a different cost if you're using this car, like obviously around town as a commuter and you're charging it.
Speaker 2: If you're charging at home, obviously it's cheaper. And also if you're going to a destination where there's free charging, then you would lop thirty three dollars off the charging price, which was the final cost that we had to put in there, so then it would it would become cheaper. But if you're on a road trip, which is what people do, you're going to be using public charging infrastructure, and you may not have charging your destination. So this is just a fair way of doing it so that we can have an Apple's for Apples comparison. And the other thing as well is that electricity prices are getting more expensive. So at the moment, it was costing between sixty five and sixty nine cents per kilo what hour to charge these cars. So you can imagine in the future as electricity prices keep going up, it is just going to become more expensive because these fuel companies are just going to want to make the same amount of money as they did off you when you were filling it up with petrol or diesel.
Speaker 1: It's funny, though, we hear so much bitching and moaning about the price of petrol, and no one in their EV's is complaining about the price of charging them on public charges. Really yep.
Speaker 2: And you know the other thing I'm going to throw into the mix as well. At the moment, forty odd cents per liter of fuel goes to the government, So the second you remove that, they're going to have to add that on to your charging for an EV eventually, because they're not just going to relinquish billions of dollars in fuel excise, So it is only going to become more expensive to charge an EV on public charging infrastructure. But if you're like me, we haven't paid for the past year a single cent to.
Speaker 1: Charge our EV at home your tesla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're in an apartment building and we use common electricity.
Speaker 1: So it's just paid for by all own it's not it is paid for by body in theory. Yeah, so it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's divided by everyone, so it isn't a fair system.
Speaker 1: But so where you have this, so everyone who's not hang on, so everyone in your apartment building who's not an EV owner is essentially paying for your Aye, you sneaky bastard. And an't you like the bloody chairman. We've moved out of that building, so is used. There was a few little you don't talk about that. Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I think for every case where you're paying for stuff, you're going to have an offset where someone has sol or batteries or whatever. So it sort of balances out in the grand scheme of things. But I just thought it was an interesting thing to do. And yeah, so that that story will be out shortly and have a watch.
Speaker 1: Of the video Joe and I.
Speaker 2: Joe isn't a fan of EV's, so you can imagine how much shit he was hanging on me in the video when we discovered that there was an opt us out.
Speaker 1: This new apartment building you're in, Is it like a gated style community if you've got some sort of care going on? Yeah? Have you got help? You don't have the maide in this one. You had that in the last one. Yeah, So where are you living right now? Let's share it for everyone. Share your address so people know where to send hate mail pooh bombs. I remember the pooh bombs in the bag. Send most a little path. Why you told your boring story about EV's and bloody Joe Achilles or whatever his fucking name is. I was too busy drifting around a track. Oh how'd that guy? Yeah, I'm going to talk to We'll talk about this in the next episode, but just a quick one of shout out to Drift School Australia on Instagram, who reached out. I had a bloody fun day. Fernando who runs the thing, Well, he'll go deep into the day and talk about I think he's gonna give me a bit of a score on my progress. Do you know one thing I did? Notice? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, I can give you the score now if you want. No, Actually I did pretty bloody well.
Speaker 1: Have you know? Do you know the hardest thing I realized isn't so much the actual act of drifting. It's to kind of kick the car around to that perfect sort of angle. That was That was the hardest point. Like, it was interesting how they start the day off, because you kind of lead up a drifting, they kind of teach you the basic sort of foundations I guess of what you're going to need to kind of get to that point. So like doughnuts and all sorts of stuff which are nailed. The fact that they had sitting risen from seven eleven polished those off. But yeah, so all that sort of stuff was. It was great. It was easy. It was sort of but the one thing that I thought was going to be I thought the actual getting into the position of a drift would have been the easy part, and it was holding sort of that position that would have been the hard part. But it was for me, it was completely the opposite. Once I was in sort of drift, that was kind of easy to find that friction point generally and balance around. It's just kicking that fucking car around. And there's a few different ones. They had utes and nice. They had three point fifty z which was highly modern. Yeah, I know, but I like that. I preferred it. It was just nice and easy Tardi. Uh what else did I think? They had a Sylvia too? Ute? Sounded fucking yeah, Commodore? Yeah, yeah, nice, really good, very nice. But yeah, a great day. We'll chat about that in the next one. But shout out to shout out to those guys. Go go buy yourself a nice little Christmas present. Often because they it's an interesting one because you know when you do those sort of experiences, the bloody you know, red balloon or experience, you know, all these sort of car experiences. He sort of think to yourself, Man, they stack up in cost. And then I was talking to a couple of the instructors about just the running costs of this thing, and it's huge.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, put it this way, if you were to take your own car, you would And this is the thing. Their cars are engineered for that driving. They've got a proper either a locked or of very limited slip differential, which isn't on a standard car, and then in addition to that, they've got extra steering angle as well to make it easier to drift. You've got engine modifications for additional card. So if you were to go take your own car there, you would probably do a thousand dollars worth of damage by the time in one session everything. So yeah, I always say to people, whenever you look at track days and stuff where you're not supplying your car, Yep, whatever.
Speaker 1: The cost is, it's probably worth it. They've got. One of the instructors was saying, because he went through the school himself and then loved it that much, he sort of kept going with it, and now he's an instructor. But he was saying, five years ago he'd pay I think it was like one hundred bucks a tire. Right now it's two hundred bucks a tire, right, So all those sort of things have doubled. Things like you know, as you said, the mods, the handbrakes, like everything. Engines. People used to buy.
Speaker 2: LS three engines that they would stick in stuff, and if you didn't buy a crate engine, which were quite expensive, you'd go and find a wrecked car that had a rear impact and you'd.
Speaker 1: Just salvage the engine.
Speaker 2: Now you cannot find an LS three or a barrower anywhere because people have just gobbled up everything. They're no longer making barrows, so they're impossible to find. So of the few that left, they're demanding high premium. So to actually build a drift car today, this.
Speaker 1: Culture is the ultimate environmentalists. They're really easy. Well that's it, there you go, green, Yeah, Greta get on block. Can you imagine Greta doing the drift? How dare you? I should be in school? No, sorry, she's no. Thanks. Oh you know what else I did? I just spend some time in a BYD Dolphin. Oh, there you go. Yeah, I enjoyed it. Yeah, I enjoyed it. It's quirky. It's a quirky little thing. Do you know what? The interior is not as full on, I guess as the ATO three, but it is much cheaper, isn't it. Yeah? Well yeah, you're looking at around about forty thousand dollars. It sort of competes with the MG four. It was a bit of a bitch, sessh because when I think MG four jumped on, they launched with forty thousand dollars. Ye, drive away or something like that. These guys undercut MG by one hundred bucks drive away, so technically they're Australia's most affordable EVA. If I was sort of comparing it to say, the MG four, I think the MG four looks I don't know, it's it's Apple's oranges one sort of styled a bit more aggressive than I quite like the MG four. But the MG four's interior compared to the BYD interior, I thought the BYD nailed it. Like they've got better tech. It looks better. It's obviously doesn't have that ridiculous quirk that the A three kind of had with the strings and stuff like that. But it's really well, it's really well put together. Inside, the text really good. I think it does a better job of the interior. Generally, I'm looking forward to the the X. Yeah, the Seal is going to be great. I think we're doing something with Luke. Look out for that. You strap the wet suit on, yeah, yeah, when you're in the Dolphin, it actually does make that sort of it's the sound of a dolphin even when you push the horn. It is showing that electric cars are getting much much cheaper in Australia. Sorry, with the Dolphin, is when you pass another dolphin driver in traffic, like, rather than sort of give the knowing wave, you can just throw a piece of fish at them and they balance a beach ball on their head. It makes SENSEA look, just a quick one on that. We won't to a full review or anything of it, but I think it should definitely be, definitely be on people's list because it's it's a great little car and it's fuck it's thirty nine just under forty thousand drive away. Yeah, yeah it is. It is cheap. We actually did a drag race between the MG four x Power and the I seven seventy. Oh I've got the x Power Monday. I'm looking for it too.
Speaker 2: So that was sixty grand versus three hundred and fifty grand. So yeah, you can head to the car Expert channel to check that out.
Speaker 1: It is just tell me the result right now. No, it was actually half half one half of them and the BMW on the other half. Yeah, it was really quite fascinating. How did you find before I get into this thing? How did you find it with the because this thing's dual motor or will drive sort of situation going on? Yeah, look, it was.
Speaker 2: Okay in a straight line, but when we started sort of getting up at around the right and handling track.
Speaker 1: It has a few quirks that I wasn't a fan of.
Speaker 2: So it's got a talk vectoring system and an electronic locking differential, and none of that works really well with the stability control, so it's constantly biting and doing weird stuff mid corner. So I think that needs a little bit of work. But outside of that, breaks were good. Handling was pretty good for sixty grand. Yeah, and not complain you can't really good like.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm looking forward to is the fact that it's, you know, the handling should be a little bit better technically than the m FALL the standard YEP.
Speaker 2: But the other thing as well is that I don't love the battery capacity. It's using the smaller battery, so you only getting rated range of three hundred and fifty k's. Our range on the day was two hundred and the bad tree was flat, so we did a lot of hard driving.
Speaker 1: But one hundred k's of that. One hundred and ten k's of that was highway driving to get there. Now that I'm a drift expert, does that have a drift mode? I don't know. That's the other thing they need to fix as well. It's sort of that needs to get sorted to. But otherwise, sixty thousand dollars, what is that? Zero to one hundred and three point eight Yeah, fucking hell yeah, it is quick. It is quick. There is still something a little bit underwhelming going fast in an EV rather than a three hundred and fifty thousand dollar Porsche. Thanks very much. That's true, you know what I mean, just lacks that sound and emotion, likes that everything. Oh hey, here's an interesting story that pops across my desk, thanks to you. Gone hey. So monsh hospital has decided to ban EV charges. Now, I thought they were just kind of saying no to the whole no to EV charges in general. But they've literally pulled the ones that they've got out and said, nah, it's not happening. Yeah. According to.
Speaker 2: The story on our site, so Mono Shealth has banned electric vehicle charging in its hospitals and medical centers, citing a work Safe Victoria's safety alert warning that evs pose a fire risk. So the exact wording from work Safe was when overheated lithium ion batteries of all sizes can catch fire, the fire is often hard to put out and the smoke from the fire can be toxic. So obviously you can see how that's an issue at a workplace where where it's a hospital, because you've got sick people that are already. So the recommendation is that electric vehicles with lithium ion battery should not be charged close to office spaces or near people, and that there should be a dedicated charging area that's separate from areas where people are working.
Speaker 1: Fuck, what do they want to paddock?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it seems that way. But yeah, I just find it. I find it really interesting that you know this is happening. We published also content recently about a big body corporate firm here in Melbourne that has recommended to owners corporations that they don't install EV charges or charge vehicles apartment building.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is obviously an area of concern and there is no kind of ruling on this yet. There's just all this loose advice.
Speaker 1: So but I mean, and this advice is essentially coming from I would imagine government bodies things like you know, like for instance, in New South Wales, I know, the New South Wales Fire Authority. You know, these people did like a full report and we're saying how difficult it is to put out ev fires.
Speaker 2: It's a fact, right, So a lithiumine battery fire gets thermal run away and is almost impossible to put out quickly, so that there is no known way of doing it quickly. They've created like dunking bars where Ukraine like a smoldering Jesus fire into this immerse it in water until it is well and truly safely out. That's impossible, well, almost impossible to do in an apartment building or near or underground car park or something like that, because you can't pull the car out safely. So it is a genuine issue. There are very few instances of electric vehicle fires, so it's not as if this is happening every day, but when they do happen, it's obviously bad news. And I think a lot of this is stemming from the fires Leaven. Last night on the news, a family lost half their home because an electric bicycle they were charging over an either course.
Speaker 1: Fire and took half the house out. Trev talked about this in the podcast a couple of weeks ago. You question, like where the charging cables coming from and all that sort of stuff. That's the problem. There's a bicycles and scooters.
Speaker 2: You don't know how they manufacture, You don't know what safety tolerances they have, probably very low, given they're selling them kind of anonymously, and I don't know who's actually checking that is the government who knows. Electric cars I think are a fast, safer alternative. But obviously an electric car catch fire is significantly worse than a scooter catching fire because it is a much bigger battery. So yeah, look at you something to look at if you do want to protect yourself if you buy an electric car that has an LFP battery, So that is typically the Chinese electric vehicles like the Tesla's, the BYD's, and that the cheaper versions, they tend to not have a lithium ion battery that has that thermal runaway property. These can still catch fire and can still be hard to put out, but they're not anywhere near as bad as a lithium ion battery.
Speaker 1: So would we have the same problem. It's going to sound like a dumb question, but I'm used to it now. Yeah, fine, go ahead, just like a real lie. We have the same problem in hydrogen cars.
Speaker 2: Well, hydrogen cars are slightly different. So with a hydrogen car, it's you don't have that thermal runaway. So when hydrogen escapes, it escapes quickly and it disperses quickly. So if you do get hydrogen escaping, it's going to burn. It's not a visible flame, but it will burn quickly and dissipate. Problem with hydrogen is that if it makes its way back into the tank, the tank is heavily pressurized. If you then get ignition in the tank, then that's a bigger problem because you have a huge amount stored in this space and you can get a big explosion. But there are a huge number of protections in place for hydrogen vehicles, so they have leaked detection internally, so they can one way valves for hydrogen escaping the tank as well, so there was even in terms of car accidents. Toyota had vision of them firing a m whatever gun with some giant bullet at hydrogen tank ause they're multi carbon layered tanks and basically it took them two shots in the one same spot to penetrate the tank. So if you can fire a giant military rifle at a tank twice and it's still not coming.
Speaker 1: From a guy who has a military car by the way, Yeah, correct, what else you've got? There was still no explosion there.
Speaker 2: Then I think they are significantly safer than what people think of HydroD So so yeah, I don't know. It is an interesting time, and it is worth keeping in mind that when an internal combustion car catches on fire, you literally have a fuel tank.
Speaker 1: It has a huge source of flammable liquid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, under exactly, So it is actually just as bad, but it is easier to put out. The problem is if you get an internal combustion car catch on fire in a car park and there's evs next to it, you can just see the compounding effect if they all catch fire.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it is. It is interesting.
Speaker 2: So keen for your feedback on this. Contact at the Drivers Show dot com dot au. Let us know what you think about this. Do you think that this is a problem. Would you buy an EV if you lived in an apartment building? Do you support charging them at work in inclosed spaces? Let us know what you reckon the thing.
Speaker 1: Of the I'll get rid of that, don't worry. Hey, so Cherry's got a hot new accessory. I know you're a big fan of it. It's got a little thorhammer. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: We were testing the Cherry Tigo seven Pro what's called Tigo seven that voice though, and I sort of opened the center console and I'm like, oh, what's in this little leather bag? I thought it was perhaps some I opened it up and I'm like, oh, Gord, he's like one of his toys in here. But it was basically a hammer similar to what a juvenile in Queensland would use just before they steal your car. It basically has a solid tip on it and you just literally tap it on glass and it will shatter the glass. And then it's also got a seat belt cutter built into it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like something from Trevor's bottom drawer.
Speaker 2: So it's designed here just in case you are in an accident where the car you can't get out, you go straight to your center console and whip out the safety hammer.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like if a car is supplying that they might know something we don't do, you know what I mean. It's like, you're the first car that I can remember but apart from like one of those little busses that you go on Bucks parties at that come with an actual little hammer to bust out in case there's a fucking accident. But think about it this way.
Speaker 2: It's actually not a bad idea because if you're in a serious enough accident where your power supplies cut off and your car has electric windows, which is every car on the market, so you have to smash a window to get out. Yeah, smashing a window is hard to do, so it is tricky to do, and if you are stuck in a position where you need to get your seat belts off as well. I mean that there are a number of instances where this would be handy in a Tesla. I mean not why in the back seat you don't actually have an emergency release for the doors. So in front seats you have emergency releases for the doors. The back seat doesn't have any you have to well it actually does, but you have to like remove some carpet to find this thing.
Speaker 1: If you're thinking, to the bottom is the dumbest stable at all time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I can see why this would be handy and perhaps something that Tesla could look at putting in their cars.
Speaker 1: Hmm, Well you could just call my ex girlfriend and cheese some fucking break windows and shit all the time. Hey, just quickly. I just wanted to get your thoughts on Cadillac coming to Australia. Yes, because all they're sort of bringing over here is a couple of evs, right yep. I reckon it will be a complete waste of time and money. And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: So they're retailing out of Mauls, so it's where you can buy them an online.
Speaker 1: And they're bringing electric vehicles to Australia and not cool looking ones, like they look all right, but they're not like there, what's the one that everyone loves, the big Escalade. Yeah, no, that's not coming.
Speaker 2: So by the end of twenty twenty four, ittably the Lyric crossover, so it'll be factory right hand drive. And the reason I don't think it's going to work is because the US dollar at the moment is completely screwed. This is an expensive car in the US. It is going to be very expensive here if you look at how much they're charging for Corvettes, which are sort of built in a similar fashion.
Speaker 1: And also no one really knows or cares about Cadillac in Australia. Well, also, no one's going to get on that point. Nobody's going to get really the exclusivity or the sort of brand image of a Cadillac, Like someone's going to look at a Cadillac and go, you want how much for that car? I've barely heard of really that American car that my grandpa had. Now and they've said here executives made multiple mentions of Cadillacs selling in exclusive volumes. Hey, whoever wrote that? Pr shit girl, take the rest of the week off, because that is brilliant.
Speaker 2: This is this one though, a quote from one of their executives as well, who said it's going to do incredibly well here.
Speaker 1: That is a quote that is going to date very quickly. I love that. That's what he said, Like that's is she She said, it's going to do very well here. Thanks for that. Do you sound like Pat Cash doing commentary at the tennis That was a really good shot. Thanks. Sorry, it's just bad cash, just fucking give me the shoots lately, Hey, pricing for the new Triton. So I thought, sorry, I'm so sorry. No no, no, no you go, no, no you go, because I was just going to say, what have we got a little Pavlai? But you go right into this conversation for here straight up pricing, so no, no, you go, thank you, So I'll go.
Speaker 2: So Mitsubishi Triton, there's there's a brand new model by the time this goes to where I will have driven it FII, but pricing is just lobbed. So it starts at forty three six ninety for the entry level Glex four x two. That's up three grand, and it caps out at sixty three eight forty, which is up by around seven thousand dollars for the GSR four by four. Now, I thought they were going to go much harder with pricing, as in I thought it was going to be a whole lot more expensive than what it actually is. So the fact that it caps out at just over sixty grand, I don't think is the end of the world if you have a look at where highlights pricing and range of pricing has gone. So I think it's not as bad as it could have been. It is still a big jump for a vehicle that has changed but hasn't changed a huge amount. So I'll be interested to see what it's like to drive, what this new twin turbocharged engine is like, and whether it feels like a big enough improvement to justify the price what do you reckon about the design?
Speaker 1: I like this. I like this a lot. I think it looks good. They've taken more of a sort of a flat stance. It's starting to look a little bit sort of that boxy American vibe about it. It definitely looks tough. Yeah yeah, look even in the base like it looks it doesn't look shit. Yeah, So look, I don't know. I'll be curious to see how it goes.
Speaker 2: The thing that they have to be careful of is Chinese brands are cornering the entry level of the market. They're pricing themselves really well. And if you look at something like the Canon XSR comes with all the bells and whistles, and that is just over fifty grand, a little over fifty grand, So this is sixty just over sixty grand, and it still doesn't have half the equipment that the Cannon has. So you've got the Chinese at the entry level of the market cornering on pricing, and then you've got Ford and Toyta at the top end.
Speaker 1: These guys are trying to sort of slip in in the.
Speaker 2: Middle but sort of jack their price up a little bit, and it's like you gotta be careful with that because soon you'll have no point.
Speaker 1: Of difference LDVT six sixty. Yes, they look great and they're cheap, and they're cheap, and they're TechEd up yep, five hundred meters as well, so more than this. So yeah, I think that they just need to be careful.
Speaker 2: They are the only ones with the ten ye warranty, so I'll be interested to see how it drives, and that'll, I guess, will dictate how it goes for them.
Speaker 1: It's a good looking car and it's fitted out well. I just hope this works. It just feels like Mitsubishi have been on this decline and I remember jumping in the Mitsubishi the Gero Sport recently, Remember jumping in there, going fuck, what has happened to me? It's a bishy Yeah, it was just old bits of shitty. You put it in there. That's an holy bit of good. Yeah, interesting times. Hey did you see the Porsche Panamyror? What do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those cars that I'm surprised it sort of still exists. Yeah, not that many are sold, but that platform will be the basis for a number of electric spin offs as well.
Speaker 1: So I can see why they've sort of put some effort into it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it looks fine. I mean the old one looked fine. I'm not really sort of hugely blown away by it, but it looked nice.
Speaker 1: TURBOI hybrid YEP nine hundred and thirty n meters talk zero to one hundred and three point twenty three point three. It sounds good.
Speaker 2: Biggest issue with that car was always packaging, so the boot was terrible.
Speaker 1: It was hard to put anything in it. Back seats were cramped.
Speaker 2: So all of those numbers are great, but if you still haven't fixed the core things with it, then I don't really understand.
Speaker 1: You know, the most is non looking Porsche that Porsche make. Yeah, it's it is just a car built for a certain market. It's like you put a kid in the back or the dog and you've got a Porsche YEP. Pretty much. I think Donna would sit in the back of that Porsche. She'd be all over there. You would love it. You know. When you see those cute little images of like the bulldog sticking its head out the window, it's like Dodda would just be like, is that me tiding over me? Face? Now that's me Labbia parafly. Have you missed me? Absolutely not? Partly Hey do you want to talk ev? No, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty four V nine prices start from ninety seven thousand dollars for the entry level model Area rear will drive all the way to one hundred and twenty one thousand dollars for the top spack GT line All will Drive.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say too much about this other than this is the shittest looking car I've ever seen. Do not agree. I think it looks fantastic. It's horrendous, and when you see it sort of driving at this slow little stance, it just looks like a big, plotty looking constipated hippo. I think it looks great. Did you have the blue one, by the way, Yeah, it was a matt colored matte blue ocean blue. That's the worst color. Like. I even looked at it in the I think it was like a gun metal gray. I thought the black might kind of improve on this. No, the wheels and it looked like bloody cam Art fry pants. Well, you know the thing is with this car.
Speaker 2: Whenever we drive cars, typically if it's new, people will turn their heads and be interested in it when we did our road trip to Sydney in the seven series. It is such a polarizing design. I have never driven a car that has turned as many heads as that because it is just wow.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, what is that? The EV nine? Nobody cared, Ah, nobody cared. It was so weird.
Speaker 2: It was in the top speek trim in ocean blue, that matte color. Nobody cared.
Speaker 1: So I just found that really interesting for such a polarizing car, just people weren't interested in it at all, just based on my assessments. It's so terrible to look at that. People will not look at it because they will throw up a little bit in their mouth.
Speaker 2: Well I think it looks good. So but let's talk about the pricing. So it starts at just under one hundred grand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. One hundred and twenty grand to get this thing on the road. Yeah, well in the top speck is one hundred and twenty plus on roads which you're gonna want. You don't want the GT line, So it is. It is a lot of money. And look, I don't know, it's one of those cars where.
Speaker 2: The interior is beautiful, like they've done a really good job with just making it look great.
Speaker 1: That I'll agree with that two tone especially does look good. It looks like something from a range Rover or something like that. And then you look at the steering well and you're not in a range Rover.
Speaker 2: But we're talking here about a car that has one hundred kilo what our battery in the top spectrium, in the mid spectrium, and the best it will afford you is five hundred and twelve kilometers of range top circle do zero to one hundred and five point three seconds, So it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of quick. It's not bad, yeah, yeah, but it is. It is a lot of money.
Speaker 2: And when I sort of put this into perspective, so the top speck seven seats one hundred and twenty grand plus on roads, that is buying you a top spec care Carnival which does your people moving stuff, plus another car yep for fun on a weekend for the kid, do you know what I mean? So I think that while this had a lot of hype to start with, I just don't know how much appeal there's going to be here. There is a lot of appeal in the entry level of the EV market as we're seeing globally, the more expensive stuff from premium brands has just tanked.
Speaker 1: There's pretty much zero off road capabilities in this as well. It's not like you can take it on the beach or anything like that, right, Well, I mean you could if you wanted to. But yeah, could you could put a fucking Volkswagen Beetle on the beach if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like anything. Should you Probably not, but yeah, I don't know. I just I'm in two minds about this. I drove it and enjoyed it because it was quiet, it had lots of room inside, a third road wasn't as spacious as I thought it'd be for adults. Text great, it does all the sort of techy electric stuff really well.
Speaker 1: Charging speeds are goods, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But if you look at it in the context of the pricing and who was going to be buying this, you're buying a car that weighs around two point seven tons, so it is enormously heavy.
Speaker 1: You can't really toe with it.
Speaker 2: You can't really well if you can't toe with it, but you just won't get any range. So for a vicle it's this size. There are just so many other things you could buy that will fit a wider brief. You can buy a land cruiser that will do towing off road. Seven seats, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a Sorrento got seven seats, Sarenha has got seven seats.
Speaker 2: It is a smaller vehicle though, this is on a three point one meter wheelbase, so it is a big, big old thing. So yeah, Look, I don't know, I'm keen for anyone listening to this send us an email. Contact at the driver's showed at Consday.
Speaker 1: What do you think about this?
Speaker 2: I mean one hundred and twenty grand or even at ninety seven grand for the entry level that has a smaller battery in less driving round.
Speaker 1: And you're getting a pretty basic interior in that entry level. Yep. Look, I came across hard because I just looks as subjective and to me this looks just something else. But inside I think it looks great. Rooming again, one hundred and twenty I just feel like this has got this is very fifty to fifty on ticks and crosses, and it is.
Speaker 2: Worth just noting as well that one hundred and twenty grand for this is cheap in a seven seat electric vehicle sense. So if you were to pretend that the world only had electric vehicles, now this is actually reasonably priced compared to like.
Speaker 1: A Model X and other stuff as well.
Speaker 2: So if you were one hundred intent on buying an EV for whatever reason, whatever your reasoning is, then this is actually not bad value for money. But when you look at it in the context of everything else that's on the market, then it really starts to not.
Speaker 1: Make a great deal of sense. I don't think this is.
Speaker 2: This is this benefits from any subsidies either, because it's too expensive. So it really does make you wonder who is going to be buying it and in what volumes will they bring it into the country, because that'll be the other thing. I mean, we saw with the EV six when that was launched, it was impossible to get one, So what is this going to be like in comparison.
Speaker 1: They did with the EV six. I quite enjoyed that car.
Speaker 2: Well, they brought in a few, but you remember at the time there was like a two year waiting list. So they're now bringing in more of them, and Henda's bringing in more of their stuff as well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, should we read some questions comments, Questions you've got mel This is a good question. This comes from shout out to Marty. Oh, this is from Marty who does a podcast called the Jizz Podcast. And guess who I guess who was on it? Oh god, I know. I thought we were going to be jizzing in a bucket, but there was none of that anyway. Shout out to Marty. Marty says, why does Paul complain about tesla's but he drives one? Please help? Oh okay, but I don't complain about them. Let's talk about your content. This week was just a photo of you looking unimpressed in the back of one, going ooh, the road is shooting the book it is. I got into this going, oh, this will be great.
Speaker 2: I haven't been in the back of a Tesla before, and about a minute into it, I'm like, holy shit, this is terrible. There was no room in there and the ride was horrific.
Speaker 1: I was in a Tesla here and it wasn't too bad. What sort of tesla was it? Model three? I don't know. This one was shit. So how old was yours? It was just a Model three. They haven't really changed much.
Speaker 2: There's a new one coming that will hopefully fix the suspension, but it was horrendous.
Speaker 1: I still think that Tesla Model three is one of the quieter out of all the evs, Like so many evs are jump into and going, oh god, is a bit fucking noisy in here?
Speaker 2: Still, like the new one actually has acoustic glass and an additional sort of noise reduction.
Speaker 1: So I think it's advertised it. There's a there's a great piece of advertising on their guess insta where the windows are down busy traffic, then they put the windows up and it's as quiet as anything. And I mean sure they probably I bet that's not Yeah, I bet that's not dufted. But but just on that, I'm not negative.
Speaker 2: I just point out stuff that is shit about them, and just like every other car, there is stuff that's shit about them. And I'm not one of those Tesla fanboys that just thinks the cars are absolutely the best thing ever, which is what a lot of owners do.
Speaker 1: So clearly they don't like it. Tough titties. That's the Pavla Report. Thanks for joining us on the program this afternoon. That's Pavla's opinions call us now coming up next to the Gordon Program. Now, what really grinds your gar is. I'd like to talk about Punt Road and that Montague Street bridge. Why does every fucking bastard just crush into that bridge? Okay, here's another question. Hydrogen. Oh okay, So this person's asked a few questions. Yeah, okay, and it's just literally pick one. Okay, hydrogen or EV for what for a car? Well, I there's a rapid fire question. Can stop stop EV because I can't fill the hydrogen anywhere. So that's that's an easy one. I'm going to go hydrogen, just to be where are you going to fill it? I'll find places. I'll go to the Young Day headquarters and get them to bloody put it out. That's what I'll do. Sixty six Mustang or seventy Chevell? Probably the Mustang. Yeah, probably the Mustang. Good question though, by the way, this comes from Ben Logan. Shout out to Ben Logan. Oh, this is a good one ninety two land cruiser with the LS one five liter Yeah, the old one, yeah, or the brand new one. The old one any day of the week. The new one's boring. Agreed. When there's a new episode in the works right now, yeah, as we speak, literally going on we get a lot of questions about merch, and I get updates from gas at Machines Plus and they are in the works. He sent me T shirts. So we've sent the first batch of merch out, so this second batch is in the works. And then once that arrives, look at that our mugs.
Speaker 2: So yeah, once this batch is done, we will we will make an announcement and get people some new merch, send it out. I'm wearing my driver's show T shirt at the moment. I wore it at SeaWorld. He when I'm swimming with the dolphins?
Speaker 1: Did you attract that was your majorash foundation thing? How was that? How was did you swim with the dolphin?
Speaker 2: I went to Seawell though, and it was ship Half the stuff didn't work and the one ride I actually got to go on without kids, which got finally got to the front of the queue, sat down and it broke down and there was a trainee running it and he's like, oh, do.
Speaker 1: You want to just sit there or come back later.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, I'm not going to sit here while you fix this ride, and then it just sends me off into space.
Speaker 1: No offense, mate, but like, yeah, no offense kid, But it doesn't take a lot to work out. I don't really want to be sitting on a broken ride at the Gold Coast because if track records anything to go by, I'm fucking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean there was actually just very very side pointing, very quickly. There was a thing on the news last night about how they're going to implement more safety protocols for carnival ride operators, and it just makes you wonder, how have there not been safety protocols so far? I just find that stuff bizarre. So anyway, see world, Yeah, half the stuff didn't work. Would not recommend going.
Speaker 1: But even the dolphins were fucking working. Half the dolphins were sitting on the sideline smoking nothing to damn, I'm not fucking twisting my fucking body or ouf what. They're very good. Yeah, I just made a dolphin say, like Louis the Fly, I'm gonna get out of here and show ma. She when I bushed out of here, Ma, I'm going to show the world. Meanwhile, your your side piece, Donna was sitting there going, pamly, you want to say a real paupose, Han, check this out. This is the fish. John West rejected, what's that next question. Meanwhile, you're like, oh my god, where's Donna gone? Oh? I know, follow the yellow drip road, Benny. He wanted to know about Rivian. I was always interested to know how Rivian were going, as they looked great but seemed to be reliable. But unluckily they'll get here, they might eventually.
Speaker 2: Rivian's current business, or the money making business, is the massive deal they struck with them on to supply electric trucks for their delivery business. So I think that's where they're probably focusing a lot of their efforts, plus delivering all their customer cars before they sort of get into right hand drive.
Speaker 1: Well, I need to catch a flight to India. Oh yeah, where are you landing, Chennai.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see what the reception is like when an Australian presents a passport after the World Cup.
Speaker 1: I've heard did not go all that well, not that I followed quickly. Is that a sports thing? I think so? Yeah apparently So anyway, I'll leave my bat and ball at home. If you enjoy this and hang on, don't wrap yet. I don't know about India. Are looking forward to in India? Tell me before we get Indian food I love Indian food, so I've heard this and this is a genuine thing. One of the countries on my list is I would love to go to India. I have been months before. I love to spend some time there. I reckon it be awesome. Food was amazing.
Speaker 2: Some of the sites, like the taj Mahal when I went the first time, was absolutely stunning.
Speaker 1: Like I was blown away with that.
Speaker 2: Like you literally walk through You're in a queue for ages trying to get in and then you walk through this sort of gate area and then all of a sudden it's there in front of you and it is enormous.
Speaker 1: It is amazing. So I like to say it in my laugh, just get through the gate. And then she puts her spectacles on and she's like, oh, it's not actually spectacles. What is this nineteen twenties? Didn't we just put my machine eye glass? John? Yeah, India is awesome.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking forward to that and I'll report back on our next episode about how that went.
Speaker 1: My advice is, don't drink tap water, no unless you want to lose twenty kilos. Hey, I might actually give that, give it a go. I think you should do some shots. Do some shots come back, Skinny give the az epic arrest. Just do a couple of shots of Indian bloody bathroom water. Yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So if you do enjoy this show, which I think most people would, please leave us a rating on whichever platform you're listening to.
Speaker 1: So if it's spot, I hit follow, hit rate, share, tell your friends, and if you do want to get.
Speaker 2: In touch with us, contact at the Driver's Show dot com today you is our email or we're on social at the Driver's Show dot com today, you're on Insta.
Speaker 1: We get by the way, we get a lot of d ms and they're hard to kind of tussle through, and once you sort of get through to someone's conversation and stuff like that, it's hard to if you if you've got genuine if you've got genuine questions that you want to know about, just email it straight straight there and we'll get to it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so looking forward to getting old Cadoagus back on the show. So I think we'll give that a crack for the next episode.
Speaker 1: Basically, the plan is he's going to dress up as Santa and True is going to come in and sit on his knee and what he wants for Christmas. About the first thing that comes up, Yeah, I don't think Kdogan hasn't really come in a long time. I think if he has, it's just dust. Thank you for listening, everyone, goodbye here. We are sorry about the delay everyone. Paul's been in surgery and gender reassignment and we will now refer to him. What did the counselors say, we need to call you. I believe it's Paulini. Yes, we're not doing this.
Speaker 2: This episode is going to be three minutes of actual stuff and then half an hour of stuff we can't use.