Speaker 1: I wonder if we would have been friends in primary really definitely not. I mean, there would have been the language buried, you know, I reckon. It would have been like you'd come home and your mom would be all like, little pav how is your play date with that Australian boy Gordon? And you feel like, mamay do you have an Asian accent? But you would have just been like mama. It was terrible. He I wanted to watch the Scooby Doo. I wanted to watch the dog who solves mysteries and clothes, but he wanted to me to watch some kangaroo called Skippy.
Speaker 2: Since one of my French we we Papa.
Speaker 1: Did they feed you at all, little Pablo? They gave me something called savory shapes? What's not Cavanagh, I'll see your bosh. No, no, Mama, you're not playing with that. Good then again, oh yeah, that would have been fun. Yeah, it would have been a bit of a nerd. They called me tlm TLM ladies man. You were seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fighting him off with a.
Speaker 1: Stick, Yeah right, he seagulls fighting over a chip. I got to spend some more time Toyota ask me if I wanted the gr Coroller again. Oh again, Yeah, look at you, and yes I will I'll have that for another thanks. Oh god, that's a good car. It's really good. Yeah, it's like, when you think about it, eighty thousand dollars a small car like that, it's a lot of money. Yeah, it's a lot of money. But people write it off as grown for a Corolla. Thanks, it's not a Corolla, it really isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But would you spend eighty grand on it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think of it, because think about it. Yeah. Well, because when you think about it, you're spending eighty grand on a really well engineered machine. It's an investment. It's a proper race car. Like it's a proper, proper track car. And the way they've set it up, it's not a car that was built in the normal Toyota factory with all the commoners cars.
Speaker 2: The land cruisers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, just very quickly on race cars for the road.
Speaker 3: You know, Hyundai, if you buy an end car, they give you a track warranty, so if you take it to the track and it breaks, they cover the warranty. And a lot of other brands that would be helpful for me, that include my neck.
Speaker 1: I just crashed it into a wall. I think it's still under warranty. Cough up.
Speaker 3: Did you see at Goodwood they had the new Iron five Inn, they had the RN twenty two E, they had the Envision seventy four. Yes, except the R in twenty two. We had a small excursion off the track. It was hammering along and it got to the corner where pretty much everyone crashes. That just has no experience at the Goodwood Hill climb and he's just just overcooked the turn in and it's just understeered off the road into the hay bales.
Speaker 2: He totally destroyed the car.
Speaker 1: That would have been a fun conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon? That's good publicity or bad publicity?
Speaker 3: So everyone shared it because it was filmed like five different angles, and he like buried it into the hay bales and the car was pretty much destroyed. Drigon, that's good publicity or bad because if you didn't know about the car previously, you do now.
Speaker 2: But is that a bad way to show it?
Speaker 1: Perhaps? Also too, it's not exactly the car's fault, it's human ewa, yeah, so it's not exactly bad publicity. I would like write the car off. Although I did find the No he did that? Yeah, well, you know, I did find the Ionic five and kind of underwhelming.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that the Goodwood is it's a hard place to launch a car because you can't really do anything with it. You drive it up the hill, everything looks slow. I've been there before, and there's so much going on that unless your car is like a top fuel drag, so you're not going to hear it and you don't see it for very long, so it's not an exciting place to launch it. Actually, one of the Ionic five ends they had there had a drift stick, so they basically set it into real drive mode and were able to use a drift stick to then do drifting and stuff. But even then, that's now become so mainstream that it doesn't really set your vehicle apart from others.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it's just this little party trick that most evs are kind of doing with a bit of power.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just found it like that baby blue that they launched it in. Although that Vision seventy four is a fucking machine.
Speaker 2: Yep. I'm glad they didn't crash that.
Speaker 1: Given us hydrogen, Yes, that would if.
Speaker 3: Goodwood has been canceled forever, it is a tough place to launch your car.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 1: I mean when you get cars like the Porsche bay sing A dropping stuff there. Yeah, geez those cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean if you have a look at stuff like Lambo, I mean they drive the car up the hill, but now that they're all so quiet, it's like, what do you And they often will just put an influencer in it to drive it up. And that's what actually installed a chicine just before that turned out for the influencer sessions. Because so many people were crashing, they set up a chicaine so everyone had to slow down for there unless you were an actual race driver. Yeah, it's an interesting event and I'm glad that it still happens because it is an unreal event. If you ever get the chance to go to Goodwood, it is so much fun. That is bucket lest The car park is amazing, Like the car park where you park to walk into the event is incredible. The amount of just awesome cars that are parked up on grass is cool. Except this year it was raining and when I went last time it had rained on the last day and the car park ends up becoming like this mud bath. And you can imagine like some of these low supercars trying.
Speaker 1: To trying to get out of the mud on Semis. Wouldn't you wouldn't you feel weird just rocking up to bloody Goodwood in his Auzuki Swift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck out the back.
Speaker 1: Hate The new Land Cruise, Prido and seventy series dropped this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah what do you think, Well, let's start with the seventy series. I think that looks totally stupid. They've gone to like Ali Express and gone, oh, can you just go to like the JDM department and just find the weirdest ricey looking headlights you can find and just put it on the front for us.
Speaker 1: Colin, Yeah, we got some of those those fucking headlights we born from Beijing. Check a couple of those in the seventy series. Mate, Yeah, well yeah fuck them, fuck them, we'll flog them off.
Speaker 2: I'll about it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they've got those lights.
Speaker 3: And then they've put a four cylinder diesel in it, which I don't think anyone will buy a Well, it's also made it to an auto.
Speaker 2: It's like, no one driving that one's an auto.
Speaker 3: So thankfully the V is still available, but I just reckon, they've just ruined the design of this thing.
Speaker 2: The current one looks great.
Speaker 1: Well that's because it hasn't really moved.
Speaker 3: Much exactly, So why change it? And why make it look like that? It just looks so like just hipster, and you.
Speaker 1: Don't like the like a contemporary look and an old fashioned car look a tribute if you like, if you're going to do retro look if yeah.
Speaker 2: If you're going to do the contemporary look, make the whole thing modern, which they haven't done. While I'm on a rant here.
Speaker 1: For what it's worth, I actually quite liked it. I didn't mind it.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, it's the same with like this is why we wouldn't be friends growing up.
Speaker 1: Even the same with the with the Ford Bronco, like the Heritage edition now, but that looks good.
Speaker 2: The Bronco actually looks good.
Speaker 1: So what's the problem with the Tweeter Because they're doing the same sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: But the seventy series is just meant to be old.
Speaker 1: And just if that's the case, why even bring it back?
Speaker 3: Well exactly, I don't know why they've changed it, And inside the cabin they've even just made it even more annoying for the infotainment system. They've they've put a new steering wheel on it, which has steering controls for volume and stuff, but the actual infotainment unit they've removed the knob. So if you want to make an each to that, you don't. You just have two buttons to press and then the rest is a touchscreen. Yeah, I hate that, don't want that. The old one just had an ob that you could turn for volume up and down. So yeah, I don't know. I think they've kind of ruined the design and putting a full cylinder in it. I just don't know who's going to buy one with a full cylinder. The whole purpose of that car was that it's a V eight diesel that you can still buy.
Speaker 2: You wanted it with a full cylinder, you also go.
Speaker 3: Buy Highlux Hilex is like forty grand cheaper and available straight away.
Speaker 2: It's got the same engine.
Speaker 1: Why would you not just buy that the Prato However, Yes, that looks great now that I agree with.
Speaker 3: I think that looks sensational. Yeah, and they did exactly what to does. They've made everything great and then they've gone hold on, hold on, we're just gonna just totally screw this up, and they've gone and put the high lux diesel in it. It's like, would you not look at what's happening in that segment with stuff like Everest and go, all right, let's go get a V six diesel. That's true, or in the States they're fitting it with the hybrid out of the Lexus Lexis, which is turbo four hybrid. Now the reason they can't or won't fit a V six to it is that vehicle now, to amortize cost, shares a platform with the three hundred series, so they're on the same wheelbase. The Prito was slightly shorter just due to overhangs. But they can't go put a V six diesel because what the reason would you then have to go spend an extra forty grand on a three hundred series if you could just get a Prato with the same engine or a detuned version of that engine. So I think they've kind of backed themselves into a corner here because that is going to weigh more than the current Prito, and the current Prito feels fairly underdone with five hundred yit metas of talk, So I don't know what their logic is with this, and people will buy it.
Speaker 2: Ultimately because it's a Toyota. Yeah, and it looks expensive. It'll be more expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they'll sell a bunch of them, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I think they will as well.
Speaker 3: I just think that the thing that would stop me from buying one is just the drive train. It's like, no one wants a four cylinder diesel in a car like that.
Speaker 1: Tell you what I want, and I think I could be possibly in the minority here the new Santa Fe. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: You would, yeah, just.
Speaker 1: You know, I like it. I mean, look, not as much as Soprato, but I don't think they did a crap job at all.
Speaker 2: Did you see the back of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like the people who did the front just paid no attention to the people who did the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then the wall just got lifted up and they're like, oh, would you guys do the back? Oh yeah, that's heaps different from what we did. Yeah. Oh, you dropped his ass a little bit there. Okay, all right, okay, can I help myself to the crack table as Well's I like it. I like the ridiculous copper and the black ribs I think it's fun.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually saw on crean an autoblog they published an image of a third row window that they've installed in them. But it's like a vertical window. I can't really make sense of it, and I don't know if it'll be an option or not, but it looks really interesting a vertical window.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's really the re quarter panels or yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really strange. I really can't make sense of it.
Speaker 3: So I think it's like a I don't know if it opens or whether it's just a vision sort of thing, but yeah, it's It looks very fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: But I reckon the red definitely needed some extra work.
Speaker 1: I think. I think what's going on with that requarter panel is that the windows the same color as like the paint work, like the black, So I think it's hidden quite well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I think it's color dependent. I think it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Racist you've always been like this, always.
Speaker 2: Ever since primary.
Speaker 1: She's hot, not more color. I'm a like a shade of Croatian.
Speaker 3: But no, I think it's it's Yeah, everything looks great except the rear.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I do, Like, is the new software update that they've put in it actually looks nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think they're improving. We just drove the new Kona recently and that had a sort of different.
Speaker 2: Was that the bright Green made?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the tennis ball is called, But yeah, I think they're doing better with her infotament system. The thing I still don't understand though, is how do you have wireless Apple Car play on a base model but not on the top spick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that still makes very little sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. There's obviously some sort of a there's something we don't know in terms of like, I don't know a court case or funny for us not to know about a courtness, but there's got to be something going on there. I can't work out what it would be.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: My super outback is wireless.
Speaker 2: Has it arrived? Nope?
Speaker 1: No, it's still laughing floating in the ocean, somewhere hopefully above the ocean.
Speaker 2: Your career, Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm very much out there. Do you know what's exciting? Who's coming in today?
Speaker 2: Trevalon?
Speaker 1: Hell No, that's a shame, not really but not really. No, do you know what it's sorry doing on the weekend he was played with his new drone. He's like, flakes, guys for this great drone I got. I think it's the best drone ever. And he took it out to see to fucking look at the boat that's got his little Koupra on it, like, oh my Coopra boards on that boat.
Speaker 2: They shoot it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. He actually attached a little gun and then he just like he could, he found the nearest rainbow Warrior and just tried to shoot at it, saving the environment. Not on my watch. And yes, I just did finger guns. I just did Trevor along doing finger guns. But yeah, no, not Trevorlong. We have We've got Bev Brock coming in.
Speaker 2: Ah, very cool.
Speaker 1: Let's just get into it. Yeah, Bev Brock's looking at us like what she got herself into.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you years ago, we did Peter when Peter was still alive. We did a talk on the sports what was it? And they hadn't given us. They wanted the pair of us here, and they started off and it was fine, and then they got into asking Peter about Tantric six and and he's just fro because he's was very private person. Believe it. Or not as anything issue of personal stuff. He just and he's looked at me. He's gone bright red. I'm thinking, we've got to rescue this call bugger. So the whole tone of the interview session became quite hilarious.
Speaker 1: I love anyway, tantric sex. Let's know when, more like when, more like Arndeau's brush with fame. So a little pavle over here, and he's going to play the part of arn Doux. And by the end of this actually sketch a picture which is more like a stick figure. I don't know why he puts a willy on it every time. So weird, so immature. I would we probably should start, I guess from the beginning, because where you sort of grew up was w a yes, and it was an interesting time because it was nineteen forty seven, the war. I guess it just wrapped up. And you're a small town out of per no town, no.
Speaker 4: Town, no town, Oh my goodness, out in the middle of nowhere. There was if we needed, if mum and dad needed, they hooked up the horse and cart and when you know, over the dirt road to the nearest railway siding, and there was a little like a corner store there and they could you know, we got you'd get a bag like what these days would be a fifty kilo bag of sugar and won aflower and everything else. You were self sufficient. So horse and cart until I was probably seven. Then a four D a Model ford A. There were seven kids, and so no seat belts, no baby seats, no nothing, no dirt roads. Four day and then we got wow an FX hold them but the.
Speaker 1: Four for seven kids.
Speaker 4: So the four day Dad painted British racing green with a fly spray.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: They had a cylinder and a pump thing filled it up with paint and he painted unbelievable the car with the fly spray. I mean, it's a different era.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was going to say, if you look at that today and you said to a kid that you would have a horse and a car and a car to share between seven, they'd be like, oh, now where's my iPad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, going to Sovereign Hill, let's see it.
Speaker 2: That's just crazy, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So immediately following the war, there was no building materials around, so it was an asbestos house. So the external walls were there and the inside the house, the frame was but the only room inside the house that had a solid wall was mom and Dad's bedroom, which enabled them to produce eight kids.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that that explains all the siblings. Did You did come from quite a big family. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Back then there was nothing to stop you. There was no pills, there was no TV. It was just the way it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what was your childhood like? Schooling and stuff like that. It was quite humble, quite simple.
Speaker 4: One teacher school they needed the local district was the school was in the church and they had to have twelve kids to keep the church the school open. So the year I was a year younger than was born in January, so I was twelve months younger than I should have been to start school, but I was the nearest in age, so they scoured the district. They asked if I could start school year early, which I did. I loved and that meant the school could stay open. So went to school bear footage, you know. Had The only books we had were school readers. Occasionally you were allowed if you were good, you were allowed to take a reader home. No music. Mom and Dad had to widen up grammar phone with two records, golden wedding and mandolin boogie. That was the only music. So it was idyllic. No drugs, no alcohol, no pedophiles. You know, you could just go outside and play when the sun come up, and come in at night when you wanted to be fed. So it was simple, idyllic. I wouldn't have you know, if I look back over it all now, wouldn't change a thing.
Speaker 3: Really, your life has become complicated, hasn't it. Australia is a very different place now.
Speaker 4: Completely and absolutely totally different. So some years ago, while Peter was still alive, we we're in West Ustratia and I took him and the kids up to have a look at the old place. And what seemed to be a humong assistance to us as kids because we'd have to walk and Dad were very clever. Come Sunday morning, us kids that were old enough would walk into Sunday school and that would take a couple of hours to walk each way. So a couple of hours to walk Sunday school, a couple of hours to walk home, time for mom and dad to produce another crop spin.
Speaker 1: It's always something about parents on a Sunday is My parents always said don't open the door. We're watching the news. I was like, why does Peter hitchint it sound like he's moving furniture? Yeah? And what sort of kid were you were you? Did you sort of gravitate to the books or sports or both?
Speaker 4: Was I was somewhat of a difference in our family have seven kids, and I was one born after the war. I had two born before and then they came very rapidly after me. But I loved school. It got me away from my brothers. Let me tell you. It was very much a gender based communities at that time. So Christmas at Sunday School, the prize for past the parcels was considered that a girl couldn't pass the parcel quick enough to get the price. So it was a boys car, a little toy car, which I won. And my brothers didn't have We didn't have talk so that we know where you had nothing, So obviously I had to give them the car. The next year they learned their lesson. They had a doll and I won the doll. So I got the doll home and three days later. You know, I wasn't particularly enamored by the doll because I'd never seen dolls. I was wondering where the doll's gone, and one of the brothers said, up the wood heap. So went up there, and they'd cut its head off with the exit.
Speaker 1: My god, oh my god, they didn't. Yeah, that's last time you win anything around here.
Speaker 4: So I was even though they were, you know, my one brother thirteen months anger, another one fifteen months younger, and so it went like that. I really never they were. We were very different. They hated school. I loved it. I wouldn't miss school for anything. They pleaded with mum, dealin and be home. So for me, I was I loved learning, I loved painting. I love community, sport, you name it. I played at hockey, basketball, netball, you know, all of that. Athletics. I had surely stripped and trained me for a little while in athletics, but nobody ever said to me I was always top mcclass and that sort of stuff. Not that we thought anything of it, but nobody ever said to me that girls don't do that. Girls don't do it. It was a time when girls did commercial so they became you know, secretaries, worked in the bank or teachers, you know, other than that. And at that stage, if you got married, you couldn't teach it. It's a female. Anyhow, it was a different I taught started teaching in a country town in Weststralia called Beverly.
Speaker 1: You're the mayor, Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 4: The quite a reasonable indigenous community there that lived in a reserve. So you know, I got to have that experience, which was good. I was a science teacher. Nobody ever said to me that women don't do teach science. Nobody ever said to me that women don't do anything. I was never discouraged, but I was never encouraged. Had I not got a scholarship, I couldn't. I was the only one in our family to finish school. But had I not got a scholarship, I couldn't have happened. So yeah, a fantastic, simple, uncomplicated life that just breezed through.
Speaker 3: When did you go from there to the big smoke smaker.
Speaker 4: Well, I taught because I'd got a scholarship and they needed teachers. Then you had to agree. If you accepted the scholarship, you had to teach for three years. So in those three years I taught in a number of country schools, country high schools. I met. I met this Robert True Redford look alike and Phil Madly and that, and eloped from West Australia to Sydney. My mum wanted me to have the wedding in the big cathoed because I was the one, the only one to finished school. I was the one that, you know, Mum could glow about. So it was it meant Mum was one of seven children and they all had seven kids, and I was going to have to pay for this wedding that was going to be a squillion rellos that I didn't know the town by the sound of it, So I said Mum and Dad in the backyard a couple of friends. Mum freak took to a bed Yama's got the vapors darling. So I eloped and ended up in Sydney.
Speaker 1: And when did you live in Sydney?
Speaker 4: Well, the guy I married had come from there originally, so his family was still in Sydney. Went back there, married in a registry office and taught in a boys high school in Sydney for seven years. But my then husband's best it was Peter Mechanic. So Peter is at the beginning of his career, had no money. So when they came to race in Sydney. They came and stayed with us, so free accommodation, free meals I cooked. My then husband was a mechanic. We had a service station, so he helped on the racetrack. So it started by going along, as you know, the general dog's body to do all the timing, cleaning, keep the girls away when it was time to focus on the races, sor ry bevo, it's time. Just move them out of the way, please, So I knew what I was getting into when cars, Let's put it this way. The first car I bought, God was a Courtina, and it was immaculate, little Courtina. But I find out after I've bought it that it is a lemon, and it's got a mind of its own, and it does what it wants when it wants, whether you like it or not. So I had a mishap and got it fixed and would lend that car to anybody who wanted to borrow. So I didn't drive it very much. When I went to Sydney and I needed a car of my own, I bought a little dats In one twenty.
Speaker 1: Y but beautiful. That's a great car.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, except back then women couldn't sign a contract. Are you serious? Absolutely? So the dealer, I said, you'll have to bring your husband in. Oh my god, and signed the contract and I said, I beg your pardon. I said, I have a regular job. I go day by day, I go everything. I get a paycheck. He can go out for the night, and said he'll be home early. I might not seem for two months. Do you want him to come in and sign the contract? And he looked at me and he said, well, we reconsider. You can sign the contract.
Speaker 2: I love that. That is great.
Speaker 1: That's the most wild thing I've heard though. I like it was that just like a New South Wales Laura. Was that an Australian law?
Speaker 4: I whod no? Why bothered to check?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, it was insanity. I mean segregation was in you know, why would you check on stuff? Because it was such a crazy broll. It was just a thing right, just the way it was, and you managed, you got on with it. And then the marriage fell apart and I ended up Melbourne.
Speaker 1: So it was good and somewhere between there and sorry the marriage. So I'm trying to backtrack a little bit. Around about the age of twenty two, you had a big accident with your neck right, Yep, that was quite severe.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I was teaching in this country town, not Beverly, another country town north of Perth. And they by this stage the government had built to houses. Well, they were duplexus close so the guys had one single guys one side and the single girls the other. So I had I had moved out of this derelictome that when before into this nice new place with two girls. And we were one hundred and eighty mile from Perth, so there was a tendency to develop relationship within the township. So one of the girls had accepted a date with a farmer. Back then no mobile phone, so he came from a farm a long way out. It was for a Sunday to go water skiing with him and his mates. And then she finds out her boyfriend's coming up from the city. Help I need rescue? Will you go in my place?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Find So I was going out with a guy who had already left the farm. You couldn't get in touch with him to come in and pick her up, which was going to be me. I don't know his name. I never knew his name. I wouldn't never have recognized so anyway, he comes. When he gets here, he finds out he's taking me and not her because she's gone off with a boyfriend. So we get and it's a freshwater lake. Enie Abba. So out there at this freshwater lake that water skiing. Never water skied before. I ended up diving in head first, hit at the top of my head on a submerged standbank and knew I was in trouble. So the boat stopped to pick me up, but the movement of the boat painful, so they stopped and put me on the shore and I walked around the shore back to where the all his friends were sitting, and one of the guys there said, look, you've hurt your nick. He said, look, I'll ring a friend of mine in Geralton who's a chiropractor, and I'll drive you there, which is another hour and a half's drive to there. So I've got to get in the car. You don't realize that you how much you use your head as balanced So even sitting down, getting up, getting in and out of a car, and it was over dirt roads, sand dunes, and he drives me to Geralton. The chiropractor comes in Caesars, looks at me and she said, sweetheart, she said, it's a bit swollen. Why don't you come back and see me on Tuesday and I'll put it back in.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 4: Oh my, had she touched me, I would have been dead. So back in the car, drive back to where I was teaching. But this stage ten thirty at night and the boyfriend is ready to go back to the city. He said, why don't you come. I'll drive you back down to perth off at your place and you can see your own doctor tomorrow. So back to the city. One thirty in the morning. I'm out of the cargo. Mum and dad are in bed. I go get myself into bed. Next morning, I've crawled out there there shock. Call my doctor, meet me at the hospital. So I meet him at the hospital. They do an X ray. Next thing, They've got sandbags all around me. I've got compression practice on three and four in my neck. So into hospital I have to be on what do they call it when they hang you by your chin in bed.
Speaker 2: Like with a yeah?
Speaker 4: So yeah. I was above head height of anybody walking in the room, so I couldn't see them. So I was in trouble. And I find out because I'd come from the middle of nowhere. We had no doctors, we didn't have dnners. I've never had injections, so I suddenly find out I'm allergic. They in the night. I could control the pain in the day, but when I was supposed to be asleep they gave me something to sleep, I had no control. I'd scream the hospital down. The next morning, they said, well, we can't inflict you on any other patients, so we're going to take you out of traction and we're going to put you in plaster. So they stretched me and I was in plaster from the top of my head. Half MI nerve my shoulders out to hear. I was in this plaster cast like this, And I said, look pointless me staying in hospital. Nothing can happen to me now. So I called a friend who was going to pick me up and take me down south to his parents' farm. And I could hide because I looked like the mitcheller man. I was just so he comes, He's take him a while to get this. So I go for a walk around the hospital ground and I get a mosquito in my ear. Have you ever had an insect in your ear? When they when they pummel on your ear drum. It's like a jackhammer in your brain. So I've gone back into the hospital and to get it out, they've had to lift me up and lay me over poor warm oil in my ear to drown. And while they're doing this, I said, look, only thing you can hap to me Now I get hit by a truck. You got to watch what you say. So my friend Arise picks me up. We're in his car, drive out of the gate onto the hospital into the main road. In the back, what ridiculous. I'm already in plaster, so I can't no whip lab So I ended up.
Speaker 2: You're probably lucky year already plaster. I was.
Speaker 4: So went downstate and his parents farm until the plaster was to come off, and then they they use a saw to cut across your throat. You hear anyway the plaster came off, I was in one of those screw up collars for went back to school teaching.
Speaker 1: And can I ask at that point, what what was the outlook from the doctors.
Speaker 4: I was going to spend my life in a wheelchair. I'd never be able to have kids, I'd never play sport again, I'd never I never never did stuff you so they took the collar off. I played a full game of basketball that night, and I didn't take a break. Sort, if I'm going to die, I'm going to die doing something I warrant.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make this shot.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I went water skiing again. I did all those things. I did have troubles. When I was teaching in Sydney. I had to go back into a collar because I was losing the use of arms. I couldn't lift my arms right on the blackboard. So back in a collar, and they wanted to operate and cut the bones out and put a rod through. I wasn't keen on that. I met an old bloke who said he was a healer and asked me to give him three weeks and he would work with me. So at that point in time, because I knew if I had a rod there, eventually I'd have a rod right through my old spine. So three weeks he threw me over his shoulder, stretched me a little. That I got the use of arms back and I never to have the operation.
Speaker 1: Wow, and did that sort of a thing, I mean, that sort of event in someone's life. Surely that would play a part in I guess the outlook you'd have.
Speaker 4: In Because from that moment when the doctor said all the things I wouldn't do, I thought, he's not in my body. He's had no idea what I'm doing. So from that moment on health became the focal point. I'd taken all for grant, as you do, young people, you do. But suddenly health was it. So diet, you know, I'd studied nutrition, I was, you know, done all that. I didn't drink, I didn't smoke, I didn't inhale anything. I didn't you know, I ate a healthy you know, nutrition, So total focus on health and well being. I did start to have trouble a bit later, and I took up regular chiropractic care, so, you know, it just it changed me my attitude to life completely because you realize if you don't have your health, everything else in life becomes problematic.
Speaker 3: But do you think that's where that came from? Because you sound like a fairly tenacious person. You're not going to take no for an answer. Do you think that was part of that whole sort of mentality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I was like that before. I don't know why. As I say, I was completely different from anybody else in the family. I don't know where I got that from, but I wasn't going to allow anybody to stop me from doing what I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: So just but that's a great mentality to have, especially for a female, and back then, because a lot of people will listen to others telling them no, no, you can't do that. That's not possible, because this, this and this. It's like, no, no, that's not right. You've got to set your mind to something and you can do it exactly.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because I had wanted initially to study medicine, but because of my scholarship, I had to do teaching. So for me having research, you know, I studied science or science subjects except geology. I had to learn before I talked that one.
Speaker 2: So it.
Speaker 4: Gave me an approach to life that life is what you make it. And so all the public speaking i've done since then, his life is what you make it, and with a focus on health and then the choices you make. So it's back then there were no books, there were no people who had those philosophies, so nobody I could talk to. I was alone wolf in those things. But it just it's just the way it was that's so interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just find that fascinating because that's the thing that I find with a lot of people. They will just stop doing something because they're told they can't or they shouldn't, and it's like, well, it's entirely up to you.
Speaker 2: You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: But growing up where I did, we didn't have doctors, we didn't have dentists, we had none of the things. We had no community as such. So you know, you just you did what you did or else there was nobody They're going to hand it your life on a platter.
Speaker 3: You just Today, that's a different story, so many opportunities, and they still don't grasp them, you know what I mean, They still let stuff go. And it's like today it's like so different to what have beaten would be.
Speaker 4: Like that, completely and absolutely different nobody, you know. Since I've been on the board of an education found out in Melbourne since two thousand and six, and we take what we call challenge disadvantage kids and who are exceptionally who are gifted, and put them through year eleven and twelve and then mentor them through unique So the fact that I could relate totally to these kids It's made that an absolute dream because I value education. I know what a difference it can make, and kids who are really bright, who don't have at network and don't have the finances should not miss out online because so that experience as a child taught me a great deal that I've been been able to apply a lot through life.
Speaker 3: So I know it's a bit of a sidestep here, but what do you reckon these days? You're hearing a lot about kids as young as eleven twelve stealing cars and being like bags.
Speaker 2: What is the solution to that?
Speaker 3: Because I don't know if it's social media that propagates this stuff, but what is the solution to these kids who just seem to be running?
Speaker 4: Mark Well, Peter and I were both very grateful for the upbringing we've had and the fact that we were now in the position where we actually had the means to help people. So before we set up the foundation at home and good to you. You remember, but there was always a lot of people in our house. So my kids didn't bring home wounded animals. They brought home wounded.
Speaker 1: Kids from all walks of life, all of these nationality, nothing, it didn't matter.
Speaker 4: So we always had extra kids in the home, and I'd run I ran retreats for women, one hundred women at a time, once a year. So that was about, you know, life is what you make it. So that was fine for women. And Peter said to me, Bevo, you've got to do something for guys as well. I said, okay, as long as you're going to be there, because it's going to be more relevant. So we sort of would have the occasional residential but the guys weren't really keen staying for the weekend. Women were. They were fine. So we had our kids would have a particular group of friends, and a lot of them were in that troubled variety. So we'd bring them home for the weekend and we'd have a great weekend and we'd all these motivational talk and everything, and they'd be fantast stick and they have changed, and they go home, and a couple of weeks later they come back and they're back in squareway. And so we looked at this is absolutely a waste of time. We've got to get the parents before. If you get the parents with the right approach, then the kids are going to be raised in the right environment. They're going to be fine. So we swapped it around from just having the kids and brought the parents in. They worked with them, and that's when I found that it made an enormous difference. So for me, looking at the kids, these young kids today and having grandkids at age, I look at my grandkids, there's no way known that they would even contemplate stuff like that. So I look at them and I look back on what we did, and I know that the most important role any of us have in life is to have children and raise them. We're raising our next leaders, our next generation of leaders, and if they're not raised in an appropriate fashion, we're going to dip out. So for us, it was intant to get the kids instilled with a good solid basis so that that sort of stuff didn't happen. It had we had mixed. For our eldest, he tried, he wasn't interested in the start. We had to plead with him to get involved with these kids. And when he did, he came home one day and said, I'm leaving school, and I said what, Because he was exceptionally bright. I've worked, I had, I worked with a post grade work at Union in special ed gifted kids. So I knew he was bright, and God, you're not leaving school unless you've got a job, So you got to watch what you say as a parent. He goes to school on Monday, he comes home and he said, I've got these three jobs. Mum, I'm taking that one. I start next week.
Speaker 1: How old is he at this point, well, he.
Speaker 4: Was year eleven. So he picked a job which I was stunned in. It was with our race team, and he had not Our kids didn't particularly enjoy going to the races because for Peter it was always the fans. The kids had to wait until they'd finished signing, and then he'd take them home and they'd be starving and over it, so they didn't go very often. But Jamie started with the race team and we at the time had two guys who'd just come out of Formula one and I used to go in and food and do stuff. And I went in one day a couple of weeks after Jamie started, and they took me aside, these two guys and the said, do you realize what you've got here? And I said, what are your man? They said, do you realize how capable your son is? Said? Do you understand he's been here a couple of weeks. He can do things that we could not do in Formula one. So he stayed there for a little bit, but then he started his own business. He built a replica of Peter's first race card without seeing it, without anything, and Peter had go in there and look. He said, this is so much better than one because Pleader would do everything by eye and feel, whereas Jamie's meticulous. You know, everything's just perfect, so it you know, I looked at here's this kid with this attitude to work, determination, perfectionist, all of that sort of stuff. So he tried to get some of his mates who had been coming to get them jobs and they'd never even turn up. And he was so mortified that he just walked away from all of that. And so our kids, even though they grew up in the household, which where we always had extra kids, there's no way our kids are going to do it because they had to share their people. They were already had to share their dad, they had to share their mum and their home. So it changed attitudes more than you can begin to think.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's really interesting.
Speaker 4: In the midst of that, Bridgestone, our favorite sponsor at the time had an AD. You remember this cording had an AD for tires.
Speaker 1: Is this the one with the gecko?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's before the gecko. The gecko came in just after that. So I was Peter and I were to be they brought in the new Supercat tires. So we were doing to be in a comparison on a disused airport up in Sydney, and Peter was going to be so embarrassed because I was a pathetic driver, so it didn't show up on the AD. He took me down the paddic set up which his hats taught me how to drive ring, did a couple of runs. That's fine, right, just so I didn't embarrass it. So we get up to Sydney the AD. I'm in the car with the old tile, Peter's in the car with the new super Cats. We do a thing, slam on the brake stop and he cleans me up by country mile because he's got the good tires. So they swapped cars. I beat it and he looked. He said, Bevo, how good are those tires? And they were. And for me to have that before and after and understand how important tires were in stopping and maneuvering Gordy came. Yes, Gordy didn't have good times on his car. My daughter was not going to be allowed in there had good tires, so he got a brand new set of Quod ties.
Speaker 1: I love that was very embarrassed. I will get to that story in a second second, but I did want to sort of roughly go back to let's let's go to say it was the seventies at this point, and I'm guessing when did you meet Peter? Was it around sort of the early seventies? Yes, yes, because I mean to me that that was the era I wish I was born in. I just think it's it's brilliant. It was you can wear footy shorts for no particular reason, partner cigarettes on the bottom of you know, dashboard of your car. It was just Sonny's on It was. The cars were awesome, but it was a real roaring wild time. What was what what was that time like for you? When the seventies hit and I guess you met Peter.
Speaker 4: It was interesting because I'm this kid from this isolated spot. I know nothing. I'm naive. I've never dealt with media, I've never dealt with high profile people. I've never you know, all this sort of stuff, and you got to I know you were saying about the footy shorts. Women were not allowed to wear trousers to work. My science lab was sort of in the hill and it didn't get above freezing until eleven o'clock. So I went to the school principal and said, I want permission to wear trousers because it's so damn cold, absolutely against the rules. Episode and he and the deputy principal and as I was walking out, I'm thinking, oh god, and I heard him say, besides which, what would we have to look at because my skirts green? And I tought, mate, you've challenged the wrong woman. So the next day I wore slacks long trousers. There's only six other females teaching in the school, and within a week they.
Speaker 2: Were all wearing trousers.
Speaker 4: But anyhow, how did I find that? It was great? It was raw amazing. I then got to see I'd seen a little bit of motor racing in West Australia, but with Peter we'd go out to the track all the time. I was sort of learning to drive, but then you know, this is the big boys go, and I wasn't really all that interested in driving. Yeah, the cars, all of that sort of stuff. I was around the cars because we had a service station we were the racing was there. When Peter wanted assistance, he'd get my then husband to fly down and join him, so I would come, because that meant I was doing the cooking and waiting on them and the dog's breakfast stuff. So to actually find that I was involved in it, you know, at that stage, Peter not really started winning. He was just at the start of all of that. And so he had one batist and I was at school. I'd been up there on the week. I was at school. On the Monday, I organized for him on his way home back to Melbourne to drive past and stop at the school. And you can imagine a boys high school and he's just got it, just one Bathurst. He gets up there and he's up on the stage and there's this you know, these all these young men just in and the principle said to me afterwards, do you think you can teach us to talk like that? We don't get that reaction when we're talking. So I got at that point in time, I got to experience good cars, really good cars, which I got to drive sometimes. Sometimes I had them at school and would take the kids when I because I coached the basketball team, and I take a couple of the players in the car. They just think it was fantastic, absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 1: They loved it watching the old bath hest footage and things like that, especially in the early seventies. Just things like the pit lane, stuff like it was such a while. Like the way they would fill up a car would almost be with a big funnel and a barrel and pit fires and things like that. It was before sort of I'm not sure what they call them, but the valves and stuff that they moved to in the very manual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was no pit structure as such. There was a wood encounter. There was a single barbed wife, single line of barbed wire fencing. That was it. That was the safety thing over the mountain didn't And Peter actually used to say it was the council. Let's say they're bringing in these safety guys and they'd be putting up there. Peter said, it takes away the challenge. Don't do that. But of course they had to know a few blokes lost their lives, so it tends to change things.
Speaker 3: But leaving up on the mountain, if you're a spectator, they were burning cars and doing all sorts of stuff up there.
Speaker 2: That was a time to be alive.
Speaker 4: Well, you had to have to get up there. You had to go up this road and there would be a group of the guys from up the hill. And if you had a female in the car and she lifted a t shirt show them she wears, they would let that car through it if it only had blokes in and they'd have to contribute a certain amount of their slab or they'd have to do a burnout. Trouble is when they did the burn out, the car hage slide off and sometimes went through tents where people were sleeping. But the media protected it all they didn't. All of that was kept quiet and up the top at the top where it was drinking it, they brought in the limit for the amount of alcohol you could have. The guys weren't stupid, so they would go up there mid way through the year, digg a trench from their camp site to the where the power thing was and hook into the power cover the trench over they'd have under their tent site. They'd have a big hole and they'd have a big fridge in there, so it's connected to the power, and so that they would have this stock supplying before the police arrived on race week.
Speaker 1: This whole thing is my kind of currency. I just like, do you get your tarana in?
Speaker 2: But it's true, the media.
Speaker 4: Covered it all.
Speaker 1: It never happened.
Speaker 4: There were a few people killed, a few people squashed when the burnouts went a bit of haywire. But but you know, Peter and I'd go up and because the guys would be there in their army, great coats, every badge they could find, and they idolized him. So they treated always treated me with absolute respect, and they treated him with respect. But if you were a bit of a whoon or anything, you had to pass certain tests before you were a part of a mom to stay there. It was never dull or boring. Let me tell.
Speaker 1: You what do you think it is about the fan base of I mean not just Peter but motor racing and cars in general. Is it's such a fascinating love affair. I mean, you know, when my parents were sixteen years old, they'll do our dad's MG and for them back then, that was their their campfire. Do you know what I mean, and for a lot of fans working on cars together or talking about cars, debating about cars, it's a passion, it's a clubhouse. And to see Peter, I guess it was almost like their God, you know, they're king, they are.
Speaker 4: It was interesting because it didn't matter whether you're a Ford fan, didn't matter what you model you were, and they respected Peter he was he was applauded by all of them, and so it was to me it was always interesting and there was back in those days. There was a lot of camaraderie. So if you saw somebody having trouble, you helped them. You know. We often gave sets of tires or sent one of our mechanics down to help up the guys who were just breaking into it, who didn't have money and couldn't do it. So but you know, it came a time when you had to know you were allowed to be seen talking to anybody from another team because you might be spreading the secrets. And it just developed into this, and then when Tony Cochran took over, he wanted it to be the equivalent of the Formula one and so another level of you know that extreme, So all of that friendliness to camaraderie had to go under cover, and it was It was sad because at the end of a race on Sundays, you know, the whole heap of teams would get together for drinks and a barbecue and it was you know, everybody talked and shared things. But you know, it came a time when Peter was getting towards the end of his career when he wasn't allowed to lift the bonnet of his car and his own team, he wasn't allowed to talk to the mechanics. He wasn't. They were bringing in, you know, Craig and the younger drivers and they wanted but they wanted Peter because he bought with him huge fan base, huge sponsor support, and announced they didn't have, so they wanted him. And this isn't the guys in the team were fantastic, don't get me wrong, I'm talking administrative wise. So they wanted him. They needed him for all those reasons. But having got them those things, got his sponsors signed over now with their signature on the thing. Suddenly and he looked at me and he said, he said, this is this is first race meeting for that year was at Winton and it was so embarrassing. The poor bugger was just you know, couldn't look at his car, couldn't talk to mcteam of the drivers. And so by the time we hopped in the to come home, he was really gutted. And I said to him, well, why hang around, Why not say now, it's say now that you're going to retire at the end of the year. That way it gives you every race meeting around the country say goodbye, sign all the autographs, and get you out of this situation. So he went through a couple of years at the end there that were just abysmal. I was just horrified with how it worked for somebody who had brought so much to the sport that was given such a tough time by people who caught They wanted him, corporate, they wanted him, but they wanted to control him. They had to control him for them to get what they wanted out of it. And that was total insult. But anyhow, that's the joys of you know, change happening, evolution of drivers coming and going, and you know, I look at some of it now and I think, yeah, there's some little bits of that shows up now that's not quite the same.
Speaker 2: But it's not the same these days.
Speaker 3: If you look at supercars, they're just there's so little resemblance to a road car. Back then at used to the same exactly there and under the skin they're very similar. It's just it's a bit sort of disappointing, you know. It is.
Speaker 4: I go occasionally and I watch occasionally on TV, but it's not the same. And I just I look, there was a time when the sport applauded heroic individual so the likes of Dick and Moff and Peter and John Bowen, those were individual and had a big following in their own right. Well, when the change happened and it became sort of suitcus they the ruling was that no one person, no one team would get more support than another, and therefore no individual could stand out. So rather than have a person that the fans could relate to, it's common field and you sit there and think, no, and they'd have a go at the guys who dared to speak up, and that says, hang on, they got personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, that's what you see these days.
Speaker 3: Anyone that does speak, they get slapped down.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: They just have an opinion. That's the problem is.
Speaker 4: It's a shame and I sort of on one level, I feel for them, But on the other hand, they've never experienced anything else exactly, and a lot of them because they've never owned the team, they've never had to do the media, they've never had to get the sponsors. They biff and bag and they don't care if they knock somebody else off the track and total of somebody else's car. They don't have to pay for the repairs. They don't have to go through all of that stuff. And I look and I think, you know the amount of or lack of respect that some of them, the younger ones have today because they don't have ownership in the team. They're employed driver. Whereas we go back to the time where Dick Glenn's seat and you know, Peter, you know, they owned the team. The financial risk.
Speaker 2: Was all differently as well, because you.
Speaker 4: Can't and all that happened every time was the mortgage on our home just got bigger and bigger because you've got to find more money. So for Peter, the sponsorship money came in and that was for the go fast. It's bibow so you can so you can do the cooking. You can feed the crew, you can do the timing, you can make the costume, the girls costumes. You can fix our race suits, you can make our race suits. All of that was mine and look after Peter at the same and the sponsorship money came in for the go fast and look good. Yeah, it's got to look good. So you know, there was one year in Bathist where if you led for a lap in qualifying, fastest lap, leading the laps in the race, blah blah, everything, and he won everything that was possible to win. It was a dream thing in that sense. But by the time you paid your co drivers because you'd give them, promise them or your crew, if you win, you get a certain thing. We didn't meet costs. We'd won everything and still didn't mean costs. So people automatically assumed that because you were there and the leading edge, you were wealthy, but like everybody else, you were struggling to be there.
Speaker 3: And so that works like if you're if you run a race team, you guys are paying for everything. When it comes to sponsorships, do they always have strings attached? I mean that they'll get something on the car, But does it mean that Pete would have to go and do ads and talks and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Well, at one point in time, when Peter was King of Bomber and Queen, it came out and we were invited to have lunch with the Queen, and Peter would say yes initially, and then Mobile had a function on for their dealers and they said we need you there, so we walked out. We didn't go to lunch with the Queen. We did the mobile functions.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that conversation, Sorry, lez, i can't make it to the sandwiches. I've got to go do this thing for a bloody petrol company.
Speaker 4: He had to get permission to wear it clossis cloth crown because you can't. You cannot wear a crown in front of a royalty if they've got the crown, and she had.
Speaker 1: Her crown so versus the queen.
Speaker 4: It's just, you know, all of these these things. I mean, it was there was always something, always something which was in one level exciting, but it was exhausting because people would say to me, oh, you know, you're so lucky.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: It's what places with me.
Speaker 2: For a few weeks.
Speaker 4: It was it was full on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine, I mean just being a race driver.
Speaker 3: Being part of the support crew is full time stuff for different engagements.
Speaker 4: Well, he had all the business meetings, all the media stuff, the fans stuff, he was constantly in demand. I don't know, I honestly don't know how he survived and coped with it all.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to say, you should play. You do play a big part in that because from what I hear as well, it's Peter was this sort of ball of chaotic energy and you really were the sort of the calm and focus behind him and prevented I guess, so he doesn't burn out, you know.
Speaker 4: Well totally because for me it was you know, and I know it's going back to the old gender the roles, but at that stage, for me, it was in order for him to do and be the success he needed to be, he needed to have a good, sound, support based, peaceful So we had an understanding with the crew myself that if there was any problems at all, he doesn't know about them. When he gets the race tracked, he is there for the fans, for the sponsors, for the race, for the car. Anything that's a problem, we'll deal with it. So, you know, there when we sort of split with Holden, and they had issued legal papers that practice stay at the first practice day, the pits. Do we keep these away from him? Do you know all of that sort of stuff. So it was on one hand people would say, but you're treating him like a child. Then if you had to do what he had to.
Speaker 3: Do, imagine though, having that in the back of your mind, just as you're about to go racing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not treating someone like a child. That's giving them the best chance at success.
Speaker 4: It was for me it was the time of learning about the media. You have to pardon me if I treed on tos you guys, but at one point in time, this is when we're splitting from Holden, and the media want interviews, interviews, and if he was going to be doing all the interviews, he wasn't going to be working at trying to get where do we build the cars now? Who do we employ? Who do we So he was doing that, So I would do the media interviews and I had never had to deal with media before. So I've got this interview with this guy and he comes out and I didn't understand what got me in there, And his opening thing was he sets me up. They've got the lighting, and he sets me up and he says to me, isn't this Peter hiding behind your skirts? O?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 4: And I believe it's kind of disgusting thing to say. It was seven thirty or something, so the promotion for that to go to TV. What a disgusting thing to say was what they did. And then people in the media when they saw it said to me, you understand he was sitting you up? And I said, what do you mean he was sitting up? Well, for start, he's got the camera sit down though that looks up. He's got the lighting sit down, he's got a green lens on the camera. So it all is designed to make it hawkish, throw shadows, all of those things. And I've said that I think seriously. Anyhow, I didn't find that out until after, but it taught me then the strategies that people would go to the media would go to. So I get home from there, I deal with him. I get home from there. The phone's ringing its radio stations in South Australia and they heard. So you realize then that all the media around Australia listened to anything that might be interesting. They've got somebody listening and.
Speaker 1: And that is the beginning in a media sense, that is the beginning of setting a narrative.
Speaker 4: And fair enough, and I understand all that, but when you add that, it's okay when everything because he had been the media's goldenhead boy and suddenly they decided he's the one we go for because it's big stories. And so to see him feeling mortally wounded because he'd never done anything wrong, and to know that in order for him to get through this, we need to have a very calm situation. And so we took care of all of the tough stuff, and maybe we did treat him like it, but then he didn't have time for it also, which is fair enough.
Speaker 3: So did you learn from that experience with the media. Did you treat every future interview differently?
Speaker 4: I looked more carefully, But Peter actually said to me, Bevo, He said, make sure that everybody you talked to in the media has our home phone number, our facts details, our emails, all of that. And I said to why, and he said, if you don't and they write a story and you've refused to participate, he said, you've got no right to complain about when it's wrong. And so God bless you. He'd give everybody a homephone number of my details, and somebody had come up to them with a personal problem or health problem. I just got to call BEV here, here's a number. So the phone. He'd come home, he'd be sitting at the kitchen bench, the phone would bring and I'd talk on the phone because somebody's yeah, the brother's dying and blah blah blah blah blah. And don't do that. I said, what do you mean? He said, don't talk on the phone when I'm here. I'm not home very often. I want to have your attention. You're the one that's giving them my number, You're the one that's telling them I have the solutions. And so it was sort of it was, it got very complex, just you know, it was you know, can.
Speaker 1: I say on top of all that, there was also creating a home life as well.
Speaker 4: And at two hunderd Acre property, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just stunning property. It was a stun property too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we had Peter's parents living we built a house for them on our block, and had his aunt and uncle living next door who didn't have any children. And my father had dementia and came over so I had. We had all these oldies and in about five years, in over a period about three years, lost five of them. So I was nursing them at Omas Wilson.
Speaker 2: It was because that's that's all.
Speaker 4: No, I don't say it for that reason, but I look back because it's there to be done. You do it, You don't, you don't look at anything else, You just do it. And I look at you know, the young ones now when they have their kids and they need help, and I think, yeah, do.
Speaker 3: You seriously, like that's that's a good point someone.
Speaker 4: We didn't get that help and then we had there was no early learning center, no daycare.
Speaker 1: Center, nurse on call, all that sort of stuff, none of that. It was always such a welcoming and warm place to go to. That's my memories of of your place. And I remember you were talking about the tire situation before. I remember this one time God and I remember, like I'm genuinely there's two things that I'm genuinely embarrassed to talk about. And I didn't think Alex would remember, but she remembered that she brought them up one one time was and it was it was a It actually gave me a lifelong lesson in in kindness. I had the I had this little Zuzuki Swift right, and I used to drive it was my first card and I'd drive it from you know, into Nutfield at the time, and the tires were baled on it. And one time it was like I was driving home at like two o'clock in the morning or something like that, I ran off the road into some sort of a ditch into some poor person's fence, which was a barbed wire fence. And I was too embarrassed to like call call for help or anything. So there I am two o'clock in the morning. It was pissing down with rain. I'm trying to like, I'm trying to I'm trying to read. I'm trying to pull this barbed wire fence off my little car and then try and get out of the ditch.
Speaker 4: And then in an interesting spot and.
Speaker 1: Some guy pulls over and goes, oh, you need a hand. I'm like yeah, yeah, And I'm like, please, don't be the person who lives in this house, and he said, oh, I lived just over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People come off the radio all the time of radio anyway, so it sort of helps me take this thing up. I drive out of the ditch. And the next day, I think I pulled up in your driveway with a scratched up car, and you just went, Okay, you can't you can't be doing this, you can't be doing this. And obviously you know you can't have your daughter's boyfriend at the time driving around with ball tires. Let's let's get that fixed. But it was also such a such a selfless act of kindness, and I remembered that a lot. And yeah, within BEV made one phone call and within within an hour I was down at some garage putting some Bridge firestones on there. Fantastic tires. Shout out to Bridge.
Speaker 4: Though, amazing company.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there was actually this other time right where I had a I had a problem with that with my car. It just wouldn't start, and I had a problem with my cart and wouldn't start. Him like, what is going on here? And I was I was still I was quite nervous around around Peter, and I was like, oh, there's something wrong with my car, and you know, he was just enjoying a movie on the couch and he sort of comes out, He's like, yeah, just just just pops the bonnet. Yeah, just give it a start. Yeah, maybe it's the battery. Hang on a second on and he sort of goes inside and boils the kettle and sometimes it can be a bit of thick tar around the connections, you know, sort of pour some boiling water over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he.
Speaker 1: Comes around to my driver's side door and I'm in there and he just gives me this look, and I'm like what, And he just gives me this kind of rye look, a mixture of like this sort of smerk. And it also mate just goes put it into park. Oh my god, I think about that and I cringe.
Speaker 4: But look with him with cars, he had this uncanny neck, which is why he could drive cars that other guys would pop in and couldn't drive. But when it came to home cars, it's the same thing happened. And I left him home one Saturday morning and I had taken our car and gone up to Saint Andrew's Markets, the local big markets. Everybody has a ball park the car. I go into the market, so I come out, get back in the car to go home. Turn the key on, won't start. Smoke smoke pouring into the cabin. I can smell it. I turned the key on. Oh God, lifted up the bonnet, went looked, couldn't see anything. It looked underneath, couldn't see anything. Had another go smoke.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 4: So a couple of the young guys in the district who had worked on were working on our place, walked past and I said to them, look, I've got problems the car. You know, we go to start it and it's smoking. Oh go bebo. So they hop in and go to start smoke. They don't want to touch. They don't want to see the whole car go up one of it, you know, good holding cars go up and smoke. So I said, look, it's all right, I'll bring Peter and get him to come up. They said, yeah, I ring him to come up. So I've wrung him time. As he come up, he said, boy, what's going on? I explained to him. You know, turn the keyon smoke every wed Oh God, hops in, turns the key on, the car starts immediately, no smoke, just got the touch and the guys standing there. I'm looking there and I thought, yeah, of course. But that's the thing that he had something and I could never understand it. He had a connection where he and a car whatever car, we're just they understood each They just you know, and you sort of it's intimidating because it makes you very weary about asking him next time round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when he comes along and it just switches on.
Speaker 4: He did tell me one stage, and apologies to anybody listening to this who thinks you know badly of Peter for this, but on one he didn't drink. And if he did have a drink at what he wasn't a good drinker by any means, what you'd call a two pot screamer. So I would have to drive if he had a drink, which is fine. So driving one night, and because he was a shocking back seat driver, he taught me. He gave me driving lessons for twenty eight years and I never succeeded about it. But this particular time, driving home, he's giving me an instruction and I obviously didn't. I wasn't quite perfect enough. He said, giving you a good car to drive is like feeding strawberries to pigs.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 4: He stopped a car, slammed on the brakes, out, walked around to the passenger site. Get over there, mate. So whether he drunk or not, we weren't they far from home, but he could just say because he assumed that everybody else had that connection.
Speaker 1: With Kes and we did.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: It's just the way it what.
Speaker 1: It's such of a it's such a focus. I've always admired that sort of thing because when you are in a car of that capacity and you're on a race track or whatever, there's so much this focus, and there's feel, and there's so much like natural intuition when you're feeling sort of a road. It's not just it's everything all your senses. And I think that's that's one of the things about the Bathist one thousand as well.
Speaker 3: It's but that's the point of difference because everyone can have the same car, but it comes down to that next little bit, and that's it's that next little bit that gets you the win.
Speaker 4: Earlier in the piece at Colder, for example, they had a series of races where they all rove the same car with the same engine capacity and he's still won.
Speaker 3: So that's that's the key difference, right, That's that's where you're willing to take perhaps a bit more risk and you're willing to put more on the line to get that win. And that's where you're going to you're going to find the difference, you.
Speaker 4: Know with that stuff. I mean, you know, occasionally you'd get high profile sports people who get a hot lap. Surprising number of them embarrass themselves in the journey when they're getting out of the track. It was just, you know, one of those things that he could you know, I mean you look at the Baffirst where he won by six laps. I mean, it couldn't happen again because these days that you know, when you've got the safety cars and all that sort of stuff. But that was the easiest race he ever won ever drive. You know, to him, the races that meant most were the ones where he he, for what one reason or another, had to start from the back of the grid and then to come through and win that race. It's a yeah, that one's achievement. That's an achievement. But in terms of, you know, ordinary race, he was never interested in what the opposition were doing. The crew could go and find out, but he didn't care. He said, all we do is we focus on what we're doing the best we can best. I can go down the straight, the best turn, that corner the best. That's where my focus is. Nowhere else, and so he taught me about the whole thing and forget everything else. It's what you're doing right now in that now moment. And one year we had Holden had young Lions, so they were bringing the young drivers through and we and each of the leading teams had one of the young lions. So we got one and Peter was intent on teaching and talking to him all that sort of stuff. And we've walked into our caravan Tom and he's sitting there and he's got this motivational speaker with him who's making him rehearse his speech when he won the race at the end of the day, hasn't he We told her to leave and we've said to him, mate, it's not how it works.
Speaker 2: He is crazy here.
Speaker 4: That's straight round the corner, up the next straight, nowhere else. You're not thinking about the end of the race. You're thinking about here. And the guy said, yeah, great. So the warm up comes for the race before the Race of the Stars, you get a lap, we take the cars down, warm them up. What does he do it gets it coming around the top? Crang's the car? Does he get to start the race?
Speaker 2: He's busy thinking about his victory speech. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And so it's opportunities like that that I you know, Peter was so profound, he was so strong with the messages that he got out and for the ones who listened, like Craig listened because he was young, they made a great thing. But there's a lot of other drivers there that were fantastic drivers, but they didn't necessarily have the engineering, no house, they didn't necessarily have patients with the media, they didn't have the fan base followings. All of those various things made a huge difference, which is why, you know, Peter and Moffin it stood out because they had more than just a driver, a driving skill. You know, it is a package. You know, as you say, there's so much going on, it's so forll On, but unless you're you know, I look at these race drivers, they're not just tuns. They are intelligent, amazing individuals who have managed to stitch together all these attributes and make something of it.
Speaker 3: Well, it seems Lownsey has done a fair job at that. Like he's really good with the media. He seems very patient and an excellent driver as well, and I think he learned a lot.
Speaker 4: He did and Peter worked really good. Yeah, I won't mention names, but there were a couple of others who didn't listen, and we're very happy to go around and criticize whenever they didn't think anyone was listening. But it had always comes back absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's a very small.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious for there ever discussions for Peter to get into F one because I know that would have been the next logical step. Right.
Speaker 4: He drove open wheelers here. He had a an open wheeler in the category early in the piece, and his father worked on the car for it, which was great, but as he said, the fans don't support it here in Australia, sponsors don't support what's the point in miss putting all my time into this when it doesn't have the support in Australia. And you know, he was asked to race oversea. I mean he drove early back in the early seventies. He drove it to a Spa with Jerry Marshall for the English driver and you know he got a lot of requests to drive there because then we did Spa and Lemon and that sort of stuff. So he but that was driving a car that Australia is related to and therefore he had he didn't have any trouble getting sponsorship. Did he like being away from home? Absolutely not. I who was going to cook him and lays close out in the morning and put his map for He'd get his schedule for the day and I'd have it photocopied, and I have the page of the back then the road directory and have it all laying out waiting for him, so that he was up. It's the only way he could get with his change of clothes because he'd have to go from a media meeting to a board meeting to you know, so he'd have to have the full range of gears, so you'd have to lay his clothes, his information, all of that.
Speaker 3: That is amazing. He was very fortunate to have you. I mean, that's that's pretty awesome. He was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's you know, I mean it was a joint venture.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when sort of it was all coming to and he said, Bebbo, he said, I think I've taught you everything you need to know.
Speaker 2: You'll be fine, You'll be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Can I ask Actually, it's cool if you don't want to if you don't want to go there but that day when he was doing the Tiger West and you get that phone call about his passing. I mean, that's a phone call. Was that a phone call the way you found out it was?
Speaker 4: But I don't know who called. And it was a woman's voice, and she just said there's been an accident. And for me, in having teenage kids at the time, I'm thinking which one of the kids, And she said, no, it's not the kids. He said it's Peter. He hasn't made it and hung up the phone. And so I've got this phone call, and I'm sitting there thinking, and I've got to let the kids know. But I can hear a helicopter and I looked out the window and the cars and so the media landing in the paddock, that driving up the drive. The camera's wearing. I've got to go out and talk to them. And I hadn't told the kids. So Jamie, the eldest, was doing an interview with somebody for a magazine and the guy doing the interview got the phone call and Jamie was saying, just look at this guy. He's gone white. He didn't even what's wrong. The guy had to tell him. Rob worked with He's soon to be fiance at computer Share so I could ring her and get her to tell him and Alexander had gone to the movie's gone to see a goal. All she'd said was she'd gone to a gold Star movie and I knew what movie it was, so I had to look and find out and get her. When she gets out of there, her phone's going to get So I got a girlfriend to go and sit, track down, sit outside. So you don't get the privilege when you got a public profile, you don't get the privilege where you had no private time. And we're no sooner dealt with that, and the funeral comes and you're sitting there and then the media stuff for the will went on for nearly two years. So it was excuse me, it was shit time. It was not an easy time.
Speaker 1: And in that time, do you have time to yourself? Does it take it? Is it years after where you can sort of sit down and process it? Is there?
Speaker 4: Look, The interesting thing is i was teaching life skills at the local community living and Learning center, and I'm thinking about my kids, and I'm thinking about the fact that I'm teaching life skills how to cope and stress, and I feel if I stuffed. If I fall apart now, I'm not going to be an example for my kids and I will have no right to teach life schools because if you can't manage it. So the whole time, I've got this conversation going on in my head. You have to do this, you have to stay on top, you have to do all that. But then you know, also had to sell the farm, all the legal stuff. There were five six legal teams working on all this stuff, and you just it just was an ongoing nightmare. You know, you just it's a debarcle that, but you don't have any choice. It's there. You've got to deal with it.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, these processes are meant to make stuff simple, but they don't.
Speaker 2: Definitely don't.
Speaker 4: They don't. And for me, I have to be completely honest. The media were amazing. They hated what they were having to do, but there was a job they had to do it. And you know the other there was two slight examples where one woman from Sydney and one was a go here in Melbourne that were a little bit off. But I have been given a really good run by little media. So and because they appreciated the awkward situation, I was in, so you know, they've been very kind.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, you were talking about this just before you came in, but we're talking about the fact that say, Target Tazzy has been paused and Target all together all together. Yeah, yeah, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: On one hand, I'm torn because you know, people and say guys, and I'm not meaning you know, but it's more men, far more men than what women do. You know, that's the reality. They are adrenaline driven junkies, most of them, and they enjoy that, then they should be able to do it. But if, as Target Tazzy has shown of late that you know, it's lost, far too many could drive its that conditions are not what they need to be. I feel very much for the families when the drivers or the navigators and that lose their life. I feel for them because I know what they're going through. I hated it when people said to me, but he died doing what he loved. What a load of toss. I mean, here's this guy who's taught class driving all these years. He's the five face all of these things about responsible and class driving and being watching what you do on the road. For him to have died in that fashion would have been the most embarrassing thing for him ever. And so it pissed me off when people would say, oh, but he died doing what he loved. Absolute toss. Absolute toss, because six weeks before he died, he had wrung me and had told me that he was sorry he had failed as a partner, as a father, as a member of the community, had never contributed anything worthwhile, and he absolutely believed that it was sad because we didn't see it that way. We didn't see him as failure in any way. I mean, I don't know how he did all the things he did, but it just gave me the inkliner in understanding that it People were not talking about mental illness in sport. That was only just starting that when we're talking sixteen years ago. So the fact that he was retiring and didn't want to. He was a peter pan, perpetual young thing that was big enough on its own, and he didn't. He said to me, the reason he'd wrung me was to actually tell me that he had finally retired. He was it, That was it? No more bevo, He said, I know it would mean more to you to hear that than anybody else, and you know, he said all the other things. So that's fine. But then the day that I find out he's died, I found out he's in that event. We didn't even know he was in the event. He hadn't had the courage to tell us because he'd already broken to us that he retired. And so whatever it was that convinced him to go out and have one more go was who was he trying to prove it to himself? He didn't need to prove anything to prove and you know, to go in the way he did. You know, you just look and you think, well, it's also wrong, but it's real.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when.
Speaker 4: You say about targer, you know, limiting and that. Yeah, there is a time when they have to you know, set some regulations. You can't simply have people continually work. I mean, the safety gear is what they wear, the way the cars are built. There shouldn't be any deaths.
Speaker 2: Exactly in the sport at all. And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Somebody with Peter's skill, if they can die in an event like that, that means that an average Joe who's gone and spend.
Speaker 1: A couple Yeah, a lot of wealthy people that hobbyists or so.
Speaker 4: Following that I got I did a lot of public speaking with road safety. I was on the patron for the Road Trauma Association and i'd go up to with the Australian Road Safety Foundation. I'd go up and we'd talk do safety talks in the minds up from Coeensland and stuff like that. And the thing for me, the way I would put it across is, look, here's somebody who is seen to be the best drita in top competitive sport in Australia, thirteenth in the world wide best ones. And I said, and he can still lose his life. So you guys, let's look at this and see what it is you've got to change to make sure that you don't put your families in the situation that we found out. So when you can get it down to those basic things, it can sometimes penetrate and make a difference. So if out of something that really sucks, you can turn something if in any way it can stop somebody else from decision. So I look at target and things like that. Nothing, Well I'm out. I've got nothing to do with the decision making. But please be careful.
Speaker 1: Well it's such an interesting race too, because there's nothing that you know these targets. They're really individual style races. I mean the fact that you're going through small country towns roads. It's like a hay bail sort of barrier and you can just go at it like a wild person.
Speaker 3: But it's very different to a racetrack. At a racetrack you have so much safety. You've got runoff areas. Some of these places, you've got trees both sides of the road. The weather can change very quickly, so you know the car ahead could be in a different road condition to use. Someone can spill oil, which you don't even know about until you get there.
Speaker 2: There's just so many variables that you don't have at a racetrack.
Speaker 3: And yeah, look to me, I've done a couple of those events, just an enturing stages which are speed limited, and even that, to me, I'm definitely not a race drive, but sort of you know, white knuckled. I can't even imagine what it would be like when there is no speed limit and you're up against a clock like you are. You are wanting to go fast, but it's well.
Speaker 4: Where Peter METI's end. It was just up the road from where I grew up with this as king, oh you're kid, and I was asked to go back at number. I'm not good, No thanks, no way. I don't need to be seeing that it's just you. And at Bathurst, I was up there a couple of weeks ago because my middle son lives on Conrod Straight and so I went up there because his kids came down from Queensland for holidays. So I went up spent a couple of days up there and had another visitor who's a gold medal winner at the Olympics, came up to visit me and took him on a lap around. I said, no, you're driving, and just he was absolutely. You know when you've come across skyline and you're getting down through the ass and oh god, it scares hell out of most people, and yet they just freeze through your notes.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: If you haven't been there, you don't know the elevation changes, and the elevation change is ridiculous. You are literally climbing a steep road and they're flying through there. It is a remarkable track, and I think you look at tracks around the world, nothing else really compares to it. And they're actually having discussions at the moment at Spa with that second batters Yeah, and then Hockenheim.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean Spa is an amazing track out in the forest and all that is beautiful.
Speaker 3: They're talking about the safety stuff there at the moment as well, because they're constantly losing people there.
Speaker 4: You know, we well, last twenty four hour race, we did Oh my god, that's the pits were as you come up the hill. Then basic rules were non existent. We had in our pits, had a forty four fuel gallon fuel and on top of that a bit of wood and a chair and I'd sit on the chair to do the timing. But then the corporate hospitality was above and somebody and somebody dropped the umbrella hit me on the top of the head. When the cars coming in, I'd have to find a way leap down off this structure to go in and get the food to feed them all. In the moments with the pits, it just Spa was. You know, you could wear what girlies in their bikinis and wander along into the pit area and you just for our guys to get to the car. They developed a technique. They had a long bit of rope. One would stand in front of the car and one at the back, and it'd be laying on the ground and when they needed them they had to pull the rope tight and it it just toss all these clever little dollies in their bikinis and out of the way. Just spa was a very very unique situation. Very but again, how many people in their life can find you know, for somebody like me who grew up barefooted, horse and cart ends up meeting going to the most amazing places, meeting the most amazing people, doing the most amazing things. So when people say to me, I feel sorry for you've done it. I've had the best life. Has it been perfect?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I mean who has a perfect line. We're all going to die eventually, that's the reality.
Speaker 1: If you could see that, if you could see the life on a board, would there be anything you change?
Speaker 4: No? Not really. I mean there are a few people that probably choose not to overly have a presence in my life. But other than that, No.
Speaker 3: Just before you came in as well, I was having a bit of a laugh with Gordy. I know that you mentioned before the situation with you know, with sponsors and needing to make ends meet. How do you find people who are using Peter's name to make a buck?
Speaker 2: Because we found plain of our existence.
Speaker 3: I found this on carsle so one and a half million bucks for a VX Series two manual.
Speaker 4: That I don't you don't have to give it to me any closer. Do you know his car that way? It's Roberts, our middle son's car, right, Peter bought it for him, and so therefore Peter's name is on THEOIC the invoice certificate. Interesting and it's it was a very or card.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I thought. It was a V six manual. Dead in a V six manual exactly.
Speaker 4: It was for Rob to get around it, and he actually had a head on our driveway with Catherine's boyfriend. He was coming up and Rob was going down and they which was thank you for that, and yeah that was that was somebody else we had living in that much. And so we had to change our drive from being a one way to a big loop so that that didn't happen to busy. But that when Rob when they got in touch with him and said that somebody wandered that they wanted a million and a half. We just laughed. Absolutely the number of times I have to authenticate and go through and a lot of them have faired income. But there are some there that one guy wanted me to sign because often it's the glove box because I do quite a few car shows and that sort of stuff. That's and I get I signed cars. I personally think it's taking turning down the car a bit, but people still want me to sign. So it's a glove box lit. So this guy gets in touch with me. He wants me to sign the glob. Yeah, that's fine. So he lives in Diamond Creek. Apparently gives me the address, see you at ten o'clock on Saturday. So I go there to the address ten o'clock Saturday morning, knock on the door. Bloke's not there. The woman, the woman who lives in so and so. Never heard of them. It's a beggar. Pardon I was told to come here at two o'clock. No, that's our name. We've lived here for years. And I'm thinking I've walked out and I've got my texture in my hand, and this bloke comes out from behind a tree. I've just picked somebody's place to where he can hide.
Speaker 3: Because he thinks that you'll think it's okay because it's just down the road.
Speaker 2: Sort of.
Speaker 4: I believe it's sign it because if they've got to sign on, whether it's a glove box, whether it's in the engine, no matter what it is, it adds a bit of a graceful the number of people who have wanted to buy my car it was your car and they wanted the extra insurance and it's going to cost this much. I think, what for a car I drove for two weeks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny Peter signature as well, because my mates went to a car show, whether it be the Melbourne Car Show whatever. I hadn't long been dating Alex at the time, and my my rat bag mates went up to him and go where Gordy's mates And he goes, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, he wants to get a Tarana, which is true, and he's got he gets this poster and he goes, hang on a second and he just goes to hear Gordy forget Tarana's keep with the swift. And then I'd seen him that day and he just looked at me and pointed and I said, what he goes, You don't know you you'll find out. My mates with this just couldn't wait to come over and show me this post so good.
Speaker 4: In terms of cars, which is really supposedly what this is largely about. At one point in time, and I hadn't been living down here in Melbourne all that long. Peter was running in the Alpine Rally and I was to drive up. He had been up the other day or so beforehand. Well, Commodore was just about to be released. It hadn't been released, but Peter had one of the pre release cars as a test car.
Speaker 2: And what year was this?
Speaker 4: It has to be back in seventy years yep, six seventy seven or something. So I've got his road car and I'm driving up to meet them up there on the on the Saturday, halfway through the rally. So I've headed off in this Commodore and not taking the full im peptop it, and I'm heading up towards Seymour and these two young guys in the car behind me have seen new car pre release, and so I'm coming up right I'm a bumper, and they're looking and pulling right inside and I'm looking and I'm freaking, and I'm thinking. So I've put my foot down and taken off and out from behind a tree sets of policeman with a thing.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 4: So I've pulled over, I've stopped, and he booked me for doing one hundred and ten K.
Speaker 1: And I said, well, what about it?
Speaker 4: I say, for Haldway, what about the guys who were hassling me? They didn't I know, we hadn't seen those. So apparently the helicopter up there right sees a car speeding, get calls down to the cop steps out behind a tree, stopped, so I get a I get a speeding fight exceeding one hundred K. Blah blah blah blah blah, and forget that, put it, put it aside, go up up there for the rally, come home come Monday morning. I thought, this is pre computer days. Maybe it's wise that I actually go in and get my license changed to a Victorian life, which I did, because that's what people do when you're moving a state. I now had a Victorian license in the new South Wales. License never came out of my handbag again, so I was very naughty. But it shows the impact and these days you don't see that. But back then, when a new car, a new model. It was big interest and everybody wanted to see you.
Speaker 3: Know well, I mean, Australian manufacturing is non exist dead now. We film a lot of our content at lang Lang, the old old moving ground. You've got some history there. That place has been around for ages. It's sad to me personally that that's going to disappear. Someday it's ready on the market today housing it'll be.
Speaker 2: Blocking units or something.
Speaker 3: I just feel like, you know, Holden, while it was Australian, it sort of worked well, but there was always that American overlord. And then now that they've killed it, they've taken all the history with them. No one knows where any of these documents are, Like, it's all just gone. And I just feel like it's just such a big loss and such a shame.
Speaker 1: I think that when I when I watched bath As too. Yeah, it's sad.
Speaker 4: It is the day Ford announced publicly that they were stopping manufacturing. I'm looking after Peter's uncle Sandy because the heath farm was next door to ours, and we see look out the back window and see this fire down the paddic. It's that So we've popped in the car and driven down the side road and there's a Ford and late model Forward in the gate on fire. The gate, the posters burnt down, the cars burnt brand New Ford, and they've chosen a Brock gateway to set fire to their Forward because they're no longer manufactured. I've got this.
Speaker 1: Photo of some weird protests.
Speaker 4: Well why else would it happen? Yeah, exactly, exactly how odd it was the weirdest thing. But there you go.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting.
Speaker 1: Before we wrap, do you have a Do you have a favorite car of Peter's?
Speaker 4: Do I have one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sorry? Do you in my mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not in ownership. I wish Do you have it here?
Speaker 2: Can you sign it for us?
Speaker 1: If you could sign the boot, my mate's going to come out of the bushy diamond freakn pick it up. But there are some amazing cars. Even there was a beautiful Toodle Bannaro which he had when that Manara where Scott re released. You know, I had big Manara written up on the side. I think it was a four two seven, I can't tell, But there was some amazing here.
Speaker 4: The Manaro that he got was a particular paint job. It was beautiful that I loved that car, but he because he changed. He built so many cars. I'd get them for brief time. But at one stage there was a I had a beautiful Blue Statesman that I really enjoyed driving, and a couple of years ago somebody had rung up and knew that that was my car and they were going to pay this amount of money and that was going to cost them as much to ensure it. Seriously. Okay, but that's fine, what story go. There was that one, but a lot of his development cars he would actually keep because for long well when I say keep, maybe it last a couple of months. But he would do the development and he'd go into work and on the way and he'd be thinking all these things, Okay, guys, what we did? You say, need to remove it? And now we're going to do this. This isn't guys, And Homer had come and that would go on, and so of a nighttime come on with a test run. So he'd do it in the dark, and because out near the farm, out in the hills, there was a big properties, no traffic, roads and that sort of stuff, and if you did it on night it was safer because you could see headlights, the glow from headlights so you could do a test run. So it was always that the test runs make sure that it's all going right and so forth. So this constant changeover of cars was enormous. But then when he was not with Holden and went with Volvo, I got new Volvo cars on the right, and then I had BMW and they'd change used to be in W. I'd get a new little BMW every months and that was pretty good. So despite the fact that I good cars were wasted on me and his idea, I actually had a lot of cars a short period of time. And so that it surprises me when people seem to think that because I sat my butt in a car and drove it for a couple of months that somehow it's worth more money. I'd understand if it was him. But anything, the Brock name is just what they It's just. And I deal with a guy in South Australia who's a policeman who got in touch with me because the car he was buying and he wasn't one hundred percent sure about its sporacity. And when I looked into him, no, mate, this is not a genuine article. The build number has been stolen off a plate from a car that was crashed, so he's taken it upon himself to look after people find out more.
Speaker 3: That was awesome, right, I love that because people get scammed so often with authenticity stuff, you know, and for someone who generally wants it as a collectible item, they're willing to pay big money for it.
Speaker 4: I'm not happy to see somebody lose money on good money when they decent people aren't so And I feel sorry sometimes for the people who want their car authenticated because they bought it believing it was and they now think they're going to get a million dollars for their car, and mate, it's like anything else, it's going to be worth eighty ninety thousand maybe dollars.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Well, there are crooks in every no matter what industry, there's always going to be somebody. And when Peter's cars, he's road cars all that are around sell for over a million dollars. He's race cars to over two million dollars. You look and think when people think that we sort of own the gut, yeah right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's when it's a few steps down that people are transacting.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Well, thanks for stopping by. Just a quick chat.
Speaker 2: It's been really appreciated.
Speaker 4: Pleasant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. I guess one thing I wanted to kind of bring to the table was that everyone looks at at Peter as you know, Peter perfect and all that sort of stuff. But I think as we sort of briefly mentioned that you are, you're fifty percent of that You're the reason.
Speaker 4: I didn't have any ability at any ability. I was just home based. Yeah, you could, if you could create a calm at home, you were doing well.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It was always such a warm, lovely family unit. And I just hope you realize that, you know.
Speaker 4: I do. I look at if I look back at it now, it was an amazing period of time in history. It was an amazing period of time to have lived. I was very fortunate, and you know, you're not going to have that sort of stuff come around very often in the world. So I know how fortunate I was. And you know, the thing is that Peter and I were a really good team until in the end where he started doubting himself about everything. And that to me, when I see young people doubt their own abilities, and I know, you know, what has the potential to happen is not for a minute that Peter did that deliberately or in any way, shape or form. But a lot of people who when they get down and depressed like that, and we find it with our footballer, you know, our ex coaches and captains and that sort of stuff, that mental attitude. And as Peter said, you know, it's not about the engineering of the car, it's not about your skill, it's about your where your brain is that when you get behind the wheel of the car. So the instant you sit in that car, know that you're driving a lethal, potential lethal weapon. Get your head in the right place and that counts for far more than anything else. And he's right, he was right, And it's you know, to me, that's the sad thing that a lot of that's got in history, but that's life. Can't change it.