Speaker 1: Laura, come on, here we go.
Speaker 2: Hi, lady Hella.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: It's just not if I just got my hair done. This has been my hair for like two months, so you just don't notice. No, I think it's that girl thing when you have a shower and you wash it well, like when you've washed it and you come into work, everyone's like, oh my god, your hair looks so good today, and you're like, I just had a shower.
Speaker 5: Or a showers on a girl thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's that girl thing that women only do where they wash them occasionally.
Speaker 6: It's because men pretty much never wash their hair and just wear product in it, or they don't have hair, one of the two. But women, when they wash their hair, it looks all nice and silky, and so, you.
Speaker 4: Know what is so annoying is that the extent that women go to with skincare and their hair and their shampoo and their condition and how much it all costs. Men just put soap or body wash on their whole body. They soap their hair once a fortnight. They all look beautiful. It's always lash. They literally put in half the effort we do and it always look better.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 6: That's why we should be paid more because we have to buy more, and that is why we should be paid more.
Speaker 5: I picked and storm the street. That'll do well.
Speaker 7: Take that to the bottom much rug seven night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got a big razor for a dollar. Pay me more.
Speaker 6: You know what else you need to be paid more for the tax on chocolate. Chocolate is going to go up. We talked about beer last week. I'm just bringing to the facts, guys, chocolate is going up by twenty seven percent. Just Laura, just scroll supermarket apps to the spare time.
Speaker 2: And also, I am my mum.
Speaker 6: I care about inflation.
Speaker 5: Is your neighbor Willie Wonka who knows? Like morning, Laura, I hated you hear the chocolate news. I'm ready depressed about it.
Speaker 6: Apparently the cow trades through the roof and so chocolate you get your cabrity.
Speaker 2: It's going to be costing.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling all my money from bitcornes. Guys, I invested in the wrong a hard cocow. All right, it's a very big show today. We have an ask on cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a really difficult ask on cut. Someone's written in saying that their sister is pretty far along in her pregnancy, but she's an absolute slob, lives in disarray, lives in disgrace, and she's genuinely worried about the welfare of the baby once is born.
Speaker 2: Baby is not born yet.
Speaker 7: No, it's it's en root in the womb.
Speaker 2: Wow, one way out.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, not much you could do. Now we'll try our best to give us some advice. Next on the pickup around Australia thanks to Chemis Warehouse heading today great savings every day you're on the pickup Thursday aver A with Britt, Laura and Mitch. Try the new Fragrance DC ten Sports one hundred mile by Dan Carter.
Speaker 5: It is new and it's exclusive to wear else. It's just forty nine to ninety nine. It is time for this.
Speaker 8: Everybody ask Asking cut is something we do every week on Thursdays where you guys write in or call in your deepest, darkest burning questions and when we do our best to answer.
Speaker 4: Them and we have the lovely Amy has in today. Hey Amy, Hi, what is the problem O?
Speaker 7: So guys, I have this problem.
Speaker 3: I don't have a problem with my mother in law, but I have a problem.
Speaker 9: With the state of her house. So, in a nutshell, she has got three dogs and one cat, and they've got no toilet training sense whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Every time I go around.
Speaker 9: There's a pooh on the floor, there's we on the floor, And I have a one year old who will be spending a day a week with her, and I just can't trust that he's not going to put the pooh in his mouth.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to build some immunity.
Speaker 6: Well, no, this is what she tells me.
Speaker 4: Not true, because you can actually get really sick. Cats particularly the cats can make children very very sick. I think it can actually kill them. I'm not just saying there's diseases.
Speaker 2: You can pick.
Speaker 7: It's gastro waiting to happen, is it not?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean obviously it's to help with babysitting, so you're not having to pay as high your daycare fees. Is there not a way that she could come to your house and do the babysitting at your house?
Speaker 3: So no, because she runs a business from home, which is the other issue I have with it. Also, last week I went there, there was raw chicken breast on the bench.
Speaker 2: The dogs were eating it. Do you know what though? Ay?
Speaker 6: I mean it's a hard one because you're getting something out of your mother in law, which is that she's going to be helping you to take care of the kids, which saves you having another day of daycare, which is obviously so expensive. So true, it's so expensive. So I guess like there's a big decision for you to make. Either you're comfortable with your is it a little boy or a little girl, my boy with your boy being there, or you have to pay that extra money and have them in daycare. Because I also worry if your mother in law's living like this, if she's got rubbish everywhere, if she's letting the animals, like you know, pool on the floor and she's not able to clean it up, or whatever it is. I always ask the question, like, is that person's mental health okay, because it's a real sign of someone who's not coping when they're living in a state that's not clean or hygienic or good for them. And that could also be something that is an issue that no one's considered.
Speaker 2: She may not be okay. Some people are just lazy as well.
Speaker 4: Though some people are just dirty and like and of course there could be more problems there, but some people are just dirty and lazy. I think for me, if I could find the money, I would be trying to find the money in and put my kid in the daycare rather than in that environment. Also, if you can't clean up after your animal, I wouldn't trust these animals to be around my one year old animals.
Speaker 2: You don't know the way they behave.
Speaker 4: It could be you could have had your family pet forever, but you would never leave it unattended in a room with an animal and a baby.
Speaker 6: So I have have you ever had the conversation with her like, have you ever spoken to her about it and explained your worries or pointed out the things?
Speaker 9: And I have mentioned my anxiety about putting him on the floor because literally every time I walk in and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: There's a dog who Yeah, no, that's that's too hard.
Speaker 3: But she sort of just goes oh like an acts as if you know, she's not aware of it, but it's every time, And how do you not know that there's who on the floor inside your house?
Speaker 1: I'd say you need to sit her down and make sure everything's good with her, because I think I'm with you, Lauds. If you're living like that, you know, have the chat, make sure she's okay, maybe she's waiting. Yeah, maybe you know, you just need to extend the olive branch and the poops.
Speaker 9: Ca Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely. We'll keep us updated there.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's a tricky one.
Speaker 6: And if you can't come to some sort of resolution, I think it's you have to put them into daycare or look at getting a babysitter or something. We'll see if you can work from home on those days. But yeah, it may be if she can't take care of herself and her animals at the moment in her house, it may be too much of a burden for her to be able to take care of your child as well.
Speaker 7: It's an easy one day care for me.
Speaker 6: There's a tough conversation to be had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Amy, That's how it all goes.
Speaker 5: Oka, No worries.
Speaker 1: If you want some advice like that, you can hit us up on the pickup dopu also dms on the pickup on Instagram. All right, now, next on the show, alarming statistics coming out. If you're a parent and you have a phone, which is everyone on Earth, Laura, you're a parent and you have a phone, I've got some new stats on the alarming screen time parents are putting into their phones when they really should be putting into their kids.
Speaker 4: We then, Laura has multiple phones, She's got a burn a phone, She's got the app Authentic Vfication phone.
Speaker 2: So I've got screens everywhere.
Speaker 5: Parents, listen up, you're gonna want to hear these stats.
Speaker 1: We'll do it next on the Pickup Thursday, on the Pickup, Welcome back, Britt, Laura and Mitchie are thanks to chemist Warehouse heading today great savings every day.
Speaker 5: You know on this show, we love a study, we love a survey.
Speaker 7: Statistic.
Speaker 1: Well, this is an interesting stat interesting study for parents in the cars listening, or if you're a child in a car for some reason listening, you'll love this because the study out of the US is revealed that six in ten American parents have admitted to spending more time on their electronic devices are you their phones than they do one on one time with their kids. On average, wh parents spend nearly five hours a day on their electronic devices compared to less than four hours they would spend having meaningful activities with their kids.
Speaker 7: That doesn't shock me at all.
Speaker 1: Actually, really, in this day and age, that parents are spending more time on a device than they are actually with their kids.
Speaker 6: My part of me when I hear these statistics, Yes, it is shocking, and I think that no one can say that it doesn't sound shocking, But I think it's not. When we say like they're spending X amount of time on their phones and X amount of time with their kids. People use their phones for work these days. When we say devices, we are all using computers or ninety percent of us are using computers as part of our working life. We're at work for eight hours a day, most people more. Most people are getting to work at eight am, not leaving until five six. If you've got little kids, and I speak myself, my kids are waking up at six thirty am, they're at daycare by eight, and then they get picked up at five and then they're in bed by seven. There's more time that I have on a Monday and Friday on my computer than I do with my kids. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So your kids are babies, Like, what do they expect you to sit down to discuss the meaning of life with your two year old?
Speaker 6: You still have meaningful time with your little kids, but I just think sometimes.
Speaker 2: They're a blob. You don't have to hang out. And when I say meaningful.
Speaker 6: Time, it's not watching cocoa melon. But I mean, sometimes these statistics, they're so alarming, and they can make parents feel so bad and it makes you feel so guilty. And if I was to read that, I'm like, yeah, I do spend a hell of a lot of time on screens and devices. But that doesn't make me a bad parent. It makes me a working parent, absolutely. But I think, I mean, this is an average survey. I think what it means is and I have no doubt this is true.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of.
Speaker 4: People that will have a weekend and the days off, and it's definitely easier to put a device on for the kid. You go do your thing and do your own device. And I think that's what it's coming from. It's easier to be in front of technology. Now there's iPads, there's computer games, TV, one hundred different thousand streaming networks. Like everyone says, every friend I know says, I'm not going to be that parent.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna let them have an iPad. I'm not gonna put them in front.
Speaker 2: Of the TV.
Speaker 4: But then when they've been screaming for twenty four hours straight, and you know that putting them in front of the TV for a hot seconds is going to calm them down.
Speaker 1: You do it, Yeah, Laura, interesting question for you, is there any part of you that thinks that worries that your kids are going to grow up going knowing that you're so active on social media.
Speaker 5: You are on your phone a lot for work and rightly so.
Speaker 1: But is there any part of you that does worry that they'll hold resentment or they'll be aware of how much you use how much?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: And I think it also comes down to if I'm in the room with her, then I'm not doing work on my phone. And the reason why I realized it is because you can be for me. I can be like, oh, I've just got to do this email or I've got to do this one thing. At the end of the day, she doesn't know what I'm doing. She doesn't care if I'm watching a TikTok or if I'm writing an email to someone that's important. All she sees is that I'm choosing to be on my phone over being in her company.
Speaker 2: And she must have been three, she's four now.
Speaker 6: It was probably a year ago and I was doing work and she'd just woken up after her nap and she was talking to me and she was like, Mummy, look at my face, Mummy, look at my face, because she knew that I was paying full attention to her. And I think that that for me was the moment where I was like, Okay, if i'm yes, I can't get away from using my phone. I have to use my phone. But if she's speaking to me, give the kids the same amount of respect that you would to an adult. But sometimes it can be so easy because kids are always wanting to talk to you, to be like in a second, or yeah, honey, I'm listening, but you're actually distracted. They should deserve that same level of respect that you would give to an adult. But at the same time, I feel like overarchingly, parents are not trying to be bad parents, like most parents on average want to be good parents and want to do the best thing by their kids.
Speaker 1: You know, if only all parents are like my boomer parents, they don't know how to get on instagramw if my parents did, I would never talk to them. They would be hooked if they could.
Speaker 6: So I mean our parents did it. I mean they had their own ways of messing things up. So true, you're going to screen you kids up someway.
Speaker 5: Different kind of trauma altogether. Now, Lauria, you're in the middle of moving houses, right I am.
Speaker 2: I'm in the middle of moving houses.
Speaker 6: We went to an inspection recently on a house that we just signed the lease for, excited about moving into it, and I needed to go and measure up a few things. And I went in and look, there was a surprise waiting for me, something smelling.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's next, I'm a pickup.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's the Pickup Thurst day Avo with Britt, Laura and Mitch try the new Fragrance DC Sport ten one hundred mel by Dan Carter. It is new and it's exclusive to Chemist Warehouse for just forty nine ninety nine.
Speaker 6: All right, before I get into this story, something that happened to me recently.
Speaker 2: So we're in the process of getting ourselves.
Speaker 6: A new house and it's hard at the moment to find a good rental property.
Speaker 2: Right, it is hard.
Speaker 6: It is slim pickings and everything is extremely overpriced. But anyway, recently we signed on a new lease and we have because we've got so much kids stuff. I wanted to make sure that all the stuff we had is going to fit in this new house that we're moving into. So I asked the real estate agent after we'd signed if we could go in and have a look at the place again, which I know is kind of I mean, it's not really the dumb thing, but there's because there's someone living there right now.
Speaker 5: Right there's a tenant in the house.
Speaker 6: So anyway, asked him if we could go in measure some stuff up, and they were like, yep, no problem. So I walk in to the house and it looks beautiful, like the tenant has really cleaned it up for us, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, this is going to be on your home. And I was so excited.
Speaker 6: And I walked in and I was going through the bedrooms at the front of the house, and everything looks great. It's obviously a guy who's renting it. I'm thinking he's probably a pretty well to do man because he's renting a family home. But it's just one single dude. So I walk in and everything looks lovely. And then as I get further and deeper into house.
Speaker 2: I was like, why is that smell? Like why does the house stink?
Speaker 6: Anyway, I walk into the master bedroom, suite that has a little on suite there, and I was like, wow, this does not smell good in here, thinking maybe there's something wrong with the plumbing that would have to raise with the real estate agent. And I walk into the bathroom. Now, this man knows I am coming to inspect the house. He knows I am coming this day. He knows at twelve o'clock the new tenant has a key and she's coming inside the house.
Speaker 2: And so what has he done? He has left an enormous log, an enormous poop.
Speaker 6: I'm talking a fully snapped off, massive like holidays to potle sausage that you can hold in.
Speaker 7: Two hands, sitting in.
Speaker 6: The toilet bowl with no toilet paper, not to us square.
Speaker 7: So he snapped one off. He's had a shower, he's gone.
Speaker 6: And done a poo, and then he's obviously well doing across to the other side to the to the sharer of a shower.
Speaker 7: In his defense, no, yeah, he's probably ticked off. He's like, this is a rental.
Speaker 5: You don't just come and go.
Speaker 4: However many times you want to come back and check out the place because you're a good enough.
Speaker 6: Look who leaves the peol and the toilet guy, that's like stuff you for coming back.
Speaker 1: You're you're in his space. He's paid for that pooh, you're in his area.
Speaker 7: He didn't come into your house and dropped her off.
Speaker 5: It's not it's.
Speaker 2: Still what would you do? What would you do?
Speaker 5: I left it. These images would not displayed on the debate.
Speaker 6: I was never going to be able to sit on that toilet and not think of his boom. Ever, I'm always gonna think about the man who snapped it off and waddled.
Speaker 2: Into the shower.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of one time when I moved into my house a long time ago.
Speaker 7: They were actually out. I had suddenly and I was moving into it.
Speaker 4: Opened one of the cupboards to like put my clothes in coming, and there was a giant box of used sex tweets. They left every sex tweet everything.
Speaker 2: Didn't even know.
Speaker 7: What they bro you know, that'd be dusty imagination. No dried up like.
Speaker 1: I did the opposite when I because I just moved out of my place with my partner because we split up, and I left a photo of the two of us on the wall for.
Speaker 5: The site to pack it. So they got to move. This beautiful gay couple on the wall.
Speaker 2: The real estate agents go through and check for this stuff.
Speaker 1: Ashley High ash as what happened in the move out of the rental property?
Speaker 5: What went wrong? Ash So?
Speaker 10: When I was moving in, this is the first time I was moving out by myself. I was so excited. It was the cheapest rental in my area, and I was like, see there, what it's actually not looking too bad. I moved in and within like the first few days you sort of looking at all the cupbears and that kind of stuff. I've gone into the bathroom and up in the bathroom cupboard it was full of use pads, tampon.
Speaker 4: Who puts used pazantine one's back in the cupboard?
Speaker 2: They're single use everyone.
Speaker 10: Usable.
Speaker 7: That's actually disgusting.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 10: I have to admit I got pitched. I was pissed off. I called the real estate and I was like, this was disgusting, and they were like, oh, we're sure that this has been checked. Are you sure?
Speaker 6: Don't gaslight me about what I just found. I didn't do it in my sleep.
Speaker 1: Like I'll take a photo, put it in the in the inspection report, the condition report.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 6: I did, so I have a photo make sure make sure you put them all back when you move out.
Speaker 1: Laura burn photo on the pick up socials everyone as soon as we can.
Speaker 5: Same with the turd photo. Laura, it's going to be it's going to be an album.
Speaker 2: I reckon it's still sitting in the toilet to this day.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Ashley.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you missed anything on today's show, you can podcast the whole thing on the iHeartRadio app. Just search the pickup and when cold and flu strikes, Damazon gets it done. Always follow the directions for you.
Speaker 6: Coming up next to the boys, Will and Woody, what's on the show today, guys.
Speaker 5: This afternoon?
Speaker 1: Very exciting what he explains why he's got the most sensitive nipples in the Southern hemisphere and digs of the Jones brothers. Yeah, guy called John has the northern hemisphere covered. But again we'll talk about it more in about two nice, all right, we'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys,