Speaker 1: Kill all right, but right now, Brooklyn, this was horrific in Sydney over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Now I know it's Couldjie. In Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, a thirty five year old mother was in the water swimming and the worst thing that we all dread happened. A shark started to maul her and an off Judy volunteer lifeguard so he was just outsurfing at the time. He was about one hundred meters away from where it was happening. He heard her screaming and then went straight to her to give any help that he could. He's just twenty five years old and his name is Charlie and he joins us now Morning Charlie, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Morning guys.
Speaker 4: Honestly, when I hear shark, or you hear that alarm or anyone screaming that out, the first thing I'm doing is getting out of the water. And you're in it and you can see this shark thrashing about and you've just gone directly to it, like it so incredible, brave, But I can imagine how traumatizing it must have been for you, Like are you actually doing okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm doing all right. It's it's been a pretty busy couple of days, so I haven't had too much time to myself to think about it. And I actually jumped in the pool this morning back training for the first time, and that was the first time I really had some timeline with my thoughts and yeah, I'm feeling all right. Obviously it's been a pretty full on experience, but yeah, the first time I think I'm managing it all right.
Speaker 4: There'd just be so much adrenaline going on.
Speaker 2: And we do get do you get training? I mean, as a as a lifeguard, what are you told to do in a situation like this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we don't exactly go through this exact scenario because it's a pretty unique one. But I guess we were always taught when we're doing rescues or managing first aid situations that is that you would put yourself first in terms of safety, and then the bystanders and then the patient, and you also kind of have a consideration of who's in the most dangerous well and so I guess I was on a board, so I felt like out of all the people in the water, I was the most safe, and well, yeah.
Speaker 1: Talk us through that for a lot of people that don't know. So you're on your paddle board, you're behind like I'm guessing your meters away from where this woman was. And did you hear screaming or what what actually went down?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was out training. I'm on eighteen foot board designed for open ocean paddling. And she actually the woman next to her was the one who originally saw the shark and started screaming about one hundred meters away from me at the beach. Okay, And yeah, that's when all the people around me, it was a couple of swimmers close to me, all looked up and started trying to get over to my board to get out of the water because I thought I'd help me into the beach, which obviously I wanted to, but I kind of had to go the shark's not near you, guys, I need to go check out on these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're headed for the shark.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, at this point I could. Most of the time when someone screamed shark, it's it's usually not a shark. And if it is something small, especially on a day like that when it's such a clear DAYE don't expect there to be anything that serious up there, and as I got closer, I could see it underwater and moving really slowly, and again just thought it was going to have a look and realize it wasn't a seal and move on.
Speaker 1: So when you saw it.
Speaker 3: So underwater, it was impossible to tail. It was just a shadow. But once it actually grabbed her, there was a point where it came out of the water. I could see its dorsal tail, fin lord of its torso, and it was it was huge. That was when I actually went, Okay, I don't really know what to do here. It was probably the most frightened.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it says here it was like three to four meters. That's longer than my car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you kept going, Charlie. You went to the woman, so you saw how big the shark was, but you just kept going to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I definitely wanted to paddle in. I was. I was very scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why everyone's calling you a hero, Charlie. It is heroic to do that. Well, even if you've got training in this well, yeah, but talk.
Speaker 1: Us through that moment. You've got a decision, right, go in or go towards her? What made you go towards her.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, once the shark came out of the water and I saw how big it was, I actually didn't know what to do, and I didn't think there was much I could do to help, just because it was such a powerful animal. So that was when I just signaled to the beach, tried to signal to lifeguards, basically evacuate the water, try and maybe get some powercraft out. There's something to help. And it was only after that she got taken under the water when I just went, okay, I don't really know what to do here at all. And she popped back up and the sharka let her go, and that was when I went, okay, I'm going to get her, to get her now, And that was when I paddled in.
Speaker 4: And have you spoken to the victim's family since Saturday? Like, do you know if she's doing Okay, I haven't.
Speaker 3: The only updates I've had haven't changed since yesterday morning. I don't even know her name, but she's in a critical condition and stable is what I last. And I only found out that she was a mother in the intro you just gave them, So that was pretty upsetting here.
Speaker 4: I just found that out as well. I can only like, you know, when you're out in the water or anywhere and you're in danger, all you are wanting is somebody to step in and help and save you. And that's what we did. But yeah, that's what you've done for this mum and this woman, Charlie like you. Honestly, your parents must be so bloody proud of you. Also probably angry that you put yourself out there. But I mean, I feel like, as human beings, that's what we do. Like, if you see someone in distress and danger and stuff, sometimes you really don't think about it. You just you want to dive in and help.
Speaker 1: And that's when you, Charlie did that. Yeah, what do you think, mate, You're gonna get back in the water and they are talking about culling sharks. What do you think about that? Is that a good idea or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm definitely going to get back in the water. It's yeah, it's gonna be a bit scary. Mum is definitely not stoked about it. I'm not actually waiting at Manly Beach right now. About the art for a paddle you're going in off the t I didn't get to finish on the weekend. In terms of the shark going, I'm not educated enough on the subjects have an opinion. I don't like the idea of needlessly killing animals, but I think some action needs to be taken because I've spent the whole life on my water, in my whole life in the water, and I feel over the last year there's been more shark attached in Australian i've heard in any of the time before that.
Speaker 4: Combined, I just feel like things to bring back shark nets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're off at the moment, right, so they're off for winter. Are you seeing more sharks when you're out there?
Speaker 3: It's actually quite rare that I see sharks when I'm on this board paddling, because I'm usually out in quite open ocean in windy conditions, and when you're in deep water, it's pretty rare for sharks develpment on the surface. But definitely going up and down the coast and surfing and yeah, just being coastal hearing in the community, there's definitely more talk about it and I've definitely seen more and more recently over the last few years.
Speaker 4: Alright, mate, well good on you kids are never going in the ocean again. Oh well, that's it from.
Speaker 1: Me, Charlie. I hear I mate, well done, Okay, thanks so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 4: You're amazing you guys.
Speaker 3: Thank really appreciate it. She's all right.