Speaker 1: Hey legends, welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Now this week in the sporting segment, plenty happening. We've got umpire Ascent, We've got clanger of the week, NBA players smoking the Reefer. We also have my injury. We'll talk a bit more about it, but settle in. It's going to be a big show starting now. All right, thanks for tuning in. Let's get it started. Welcome Brandon, hey Mace. Now we just went to the f ones and we'll chat about that. But my clanger of the week this week, I want to jump straight into it because these guys are idiots at the f ones. Everyone knows Albert Park, Melbourne best f one track on the face of the planet Earth. Well, there were some idiots that somehow managed to get tickets and they invaded the track before the race was finished. Yes, I saw this. I know you ducked out to go to the bathroom at some point. Now does that correlate somehow?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get a little close look at them. But these guys went through the fence onto the track because they wanted to run to the end to be a part of the celebrations. The post match post match post race celebrations and they got on there a little early and they were jumping out. There's people filming from the very side of the track with their phones on the inside of the fence as f one cars a hum and passed at a billion miles an.
Speaker 1: Hour or whatever.
Speaker 2: They're far out, So yeah, I can't imagine what would happen if you got hit by one of them. It would be bad for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't be here anymore. I'll tell you that, you'll be in a different in a different heaven or hell, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: But there was people, yeah, yelling out good off the track, but these yeah, they didn't. And then as soon as they the cars went past, they just started sprinting for the finish line.
Speaker 1: So, oh geez. It is pretty cool to go on the track post the actual race. And I say post the race because it is an absolute hazard being on enough one track. If you don't understand why you don't need to be on the track, then that's a problem within itself we all have to go into. But yeah, it's a it's a huge safety concern obviously, and that's why they put the big fences up. So seeing people trying to climb that was just absolutely insane.
Speaker 2: Free food for the ducks at the lake. If you get hit by one of those cars, you just turn into little breadcrumbs.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like it's at the end of the race, so hopefully you know, like the cars have gone. It's like the same life. And I understand you want to get front row. You want to get front row for the champin shower, get a free bit of free booze, maybe even if they get your out of the distance.
Speaker 2: I actually did see another one. A little sneaky is the sub mention of my clanger of the Week, But this drunk guy jumped over one of the red ropes and climbed into one of the F one cars to take a photo. He was it was inebriated, but the security guard when he was kicking him out, the guy leant on one of the mirrors and snapped the mirror off his F one car. And apparently they're worth like tens of thousands of dollars just for a mirror. Jeez.
Speaker 1: That's it was with a group of.
Speaker 2: His mates and half of them were trying to talk him out of it. The other half were like, I just kind of want to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Let's let's provoke their idiot friend of doing something stupid.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what's your clanger of the week.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know many people. All this at a Dodgers game twenty twenty three Major League Baseball, which is baseball in the US. They had Opening Day, which is the first game of the season, and one of the fans decided to run out onto the field and was going to propose to his girlfriend, you know, the most intimate, beautiful way of doing it at a sporting event. I will never understand it, but security took it as an opportunity. This man was just open, absolutely open on a knee. Wasn't expecting anything. Security guard. He must have been the just tight end or the middle linebacker in the football team, because he absolutely murdered the shit out of this guy. He just absolutely collabored him, took his head off.
Speaker 2: All of these security guards most of the time, when they hit someone like that, they go viral for like a good reason. It'd be like, oh, pitch invader, and I think he thought it was his moment.
Speaker 1: Oh It's time to shine.
Speaker 2: So he just lines up this guy and murders him in front of everyone. And yeah, I don't think he got the reaction that he was really after.
Speaker 1: No, well it's yeah, jeez, I've since read that. You know, they shared a post on Instagram saying, you know they're you know, out together. Obviously they've got the fiance has got the big rock on her finger and the Dodgers one eight two. So he's happy. But that will live on in infamy as one of the best hit sticks I've ever seen on the baseball field.
Speaker 2: It adds to the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. But like I'll just if you see the video out there, the man is absolutely murdered. Like it's cool, Like I can't put it into words. He gets fucking he gets his head blown off by this like security guard tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not because he's also on one knee, so he's like real open.
Speaker 1: No, just folded him like a launch. Oh gosh. Well, we'll move into the next time. We've got the news stories. Now, obviously in football world, there's been a lot happening, but a very very interesting week in the AFL world, and we'll started off with one of the biggest I guess controversies of the week. Now we've got the arms out descent rule very questionable.
Speaker 2: I think we kind of agreed that it was like, okay, descent in you know, the long run, not good, want it out of the game, want to encourage more umpires to you know join. Yeah, this was different because most of the time we see a player give away a really obvious free kick and then they say something on the mark and it's normally fifty. This was a free kick paid because of descent, and obviously with the umpire being miked up, we can hear the conversation, and the conversation was basically he put his arms as Stephen Cannelio put his arms out and said, how is that a free kick? Now, I don't know if that crosses the line into descent and you get a full like set shot right at the tip of the square kick a goal. So at the time gws were up, So this not only put them behind, but it.
Speaker 1: Was changed the momentum of the game. Like it was so the you know, the tackle, someone got tackled, it kicks a point and then after the point kind of like a bit of a stoppage and play. Obviously they kicked the ball in and Steven goes over to the umpire and puts his hands answers, you know, how is that not a free kick? And I can tell you this, that's been said many times on a football field, many times on a football field, and the umpire didn't like it, and he said, yep, descent bang right away. And because it was a point, he's essentially going, no, we're going to stick you straight in front of the goals and just give you a free goal. And it's like the most just frustrating thing I can imagine Stephen would have been thinking at that time, going like, you're really going to take that personally? Are you really going to take this personally? And then like then you have to essentially just turn around walk away because you're gonna be that frustrated that you just don't want to make it even worse the situation.
Speaker 2: We don't want to give away another one. But I think what people took an issue with was the fact that throughout the rest of the weekend there was numerous occasions, even from the same game, people went back and like saw like numerous occasions where it happened and it wasn't paid for descent, there was no free kick, there was no so like the consistency in there, I imagine like with the players is the most frustrating thing when anything like this happens, when it's like any just rule interpretation or new rule or change or whatever. Just now, how do you guys move forward from this? Going like, well, is that going to be a free kick? If I ask, it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's a It's almost one of those things now where you just, yeah, I know that your hands out automatically is going to be an issue. Like, so you just can't you can't have to refrain. I know, it's like a natural reaction to do that whenever you think it's a bad call, But you just have to refrain from that because I look at the weekend Jack Higgins, oh my gosh, you lost his shit went absolutely a wall and then nothing was called. But then the same way, like you know, in a different game, like that's you know, just a subtle like why didn't you call that? You know, it goes to a descent and totally changes the whole momentum of the game. So yeah, I think from a player standpoint, like if you're going to have this ascent rule, like you need to have clarity from the AFL, clarity for the umpires, clarity for the players, that this is the present, We're going to say, and like, if this happens, then that's just going to be the ruling and there's nothing you can do about it. Where if you make it more opinionated, then you're just never going to know what the actual ruler, you know, how far you can take the rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, to watch this space, because watch the space.
Speaker 1: All happened again this year, yeaharanteed, Oh.
Speaker 2: It happened again this ran. It always happens the week after. But moving on, we've got Jamara hugil Hagen obviously terrible incident where he was racially villafired a couple of weeks back, came out and played an absolute kicked and yeah, it was great to see, and not only that one of the most iconic photos taken in sport in a long time. Obviously Nicki Windmar did the iconic jumper up point to the chest, which Jamara kind of emulated on the weekend. The whole thing start to finish was you know, great to see, but like powerful, especially post match, Bonte Pali standing next to him for the postmatch interview and obviously like Jamara was a bit emotional. It's good to you know, see him come out and have such a you know, a strong performance but then also spread more of a word and awareness about the issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty amazing for a guy his age to be put in that position and is not our deeal and for him and the way he handled it, credit to him. It was pretty phenomenal to see. Yeah, you mentioned it. I think a postgame interview when Never was standing next to him, he got emotional like that was one thing that really kind of got the heart strings. And yeah, you never want to see anyone have to go through what he's had to go through. But the way he's handled it, the way he's been so mature about it, I think like it's a credit to him. Like I saw him on the weekend at the F One and just kind of like, you know, sendem the message and stuff. Over the weekend song with the F One just said, man like so priud of you, Like seriously, not something you should have to deal with and the fact that you had to deal with is unfortunate. But the way you handled it, man, you just you did it with absolute class. So credit to it. Man, It's it's pretty amazing. And NICKI willmar you know, he backed himself up or back tomorrow up, you know, and talked to it, made some comments around it too, saying like it was pretty powerful. So and you know, it's it's something I guess in the Indigenous community that they keep having to deal with. Every single year. There's always someone that you know is vilified in some sort of way, and you know, hopefully we get to that point where we don't have this happen in a game or in the game, and you know these unfortunately of these things, you know, like they happen, and you know, whenever someone handles it the way Jamaara has, I think it really shows how powerful, you know, you can be in reacting to it in the right way, and not everyone wants to handle the situations and be in front of it and have to face up and be like a person in the media for it. You know, like he's here to play football. He's not here, you know, he didn't get recruited to the Bulldogs to be an indigenous activist, like and that's you know, he's been put into that role and he's handled it very well. But that's not why you know, he's on television, that's not why he's like, you know, at the Bulldogs football club. So it's like I said, it's a credit too on the way I handle it. You know, it's a position I couldn't I wouldn't want to put anyone in or ever be in. But for himself and the way he handled it, I thought it was pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 2: And that's what he said post game. He's just just a kid trying to play football. So another one is Daisy Pierce not being allowed in the rooms. You think this is with Richmond and there's another team.
Speaker 1: Chris Fagan said something yeah, So I.
Speaker 2: Guess where do you stand on something like this? Obviously it's inevitable that it'll happen at the Collingwood game, and I believe Collingwood's already come out and said that it's okay and days he will be allowed in the rooms. Is this you know? Is this just gonna happen over time?
Speaker 1: I think there's so many connections in football. It's a small world. So like everyone that's on Channel seven and covering the football has some affiliation. Brian Taylor, you used to play Collingwood, loves Callingwood. He's in the rooms every single weekend. You know, like there's there's crossover for everyone, you know. I think what people don't realize as though, is the Channels seven commentator commentators stuff don't really go into the room that all the information's in. So you think of the team room, right where like everyone sits down and the coach gives his address to the team and it's on the whiteboard and what they're going to do and who they're going to target, whatever it may be that's in that room, and like Channel seven doesn't have access to that, and I think that's the information that a lot of clubs are worried about, you know, getting out there of what they're doing with certain teams or certain players, and they don't they don't have access to that. So I don't really have an issue with them being in the rooms. I mean, we had David Noble who was coaching North Melbourne. Whenever John Noble on our team was playing, he was supporting his kid, and it's like that's an imposing head coach in our changing rooms.
Speaker 2: So she's crazy. I don't think you could get a bigger conflict than that.
Speaker 1: But no one really had an issue back then. So it's it's this weird thing with Daisy, I guess because she's female, and you know, she's in the media, and people like it's an easy kind of story, I guess to write. People want to go about it, but at the AFL will kind of squash this. I think Channel seven will also, and I think what will end up happening, unfortunately for Daisy is w'll probably start having to pick someone else just to go into the changing room, so they can kind of bury the story of this. I think Daisy is very reputable. I think she's an amazing, you know, commentator, one of the best out there, and we hope that you know, that's I guess we can understand I guess like the player that is or sorry, the coach that is Daisy Pierce, and also the media personality that is also her too, So I'm not really too sure I can understand both sides of it. But as long as she's not going into that like that actual coach as a dress room, I think there's not really too much of an issue. There's not. All you're really looking at is these big billboards that people celebrating really in the in the like or in the rooms that you're actually warming up that she would be in, and that's really the only the information she might be able to get when you.
Speaker 2: Do put it that way, there's not a lot that happens post song nah, like and like most of the time then they either like parked away in the little corner of the room, yeah, and like just waiting for player interviews and stuff. So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't lingering around trying to hear a conversation somewhere, you know, And if you are having a serious conversation, you're probably not doing it out in the open like that. You're in a like confined room. So yeah, I don't really see an issue myself with it. I can understand why a club would be like that though, you know, they want to have an inner sanctum like a lot of clubs do. And you know, if that means having to cut some people out of it because they're not part of it, like or they might be affiliated with another team, I can totally understand. But her as a media personality and as an assistant coach of a football club is sometimes I guess can have a bit of a conflict there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, but I don't know. We'll see how it pans out.
Speaker 1: We'll move into world sport. Now there's something that's happening in the NBA, and this has been on the cards for a long time. The NBA players are notorious for I guess, enjoying a little bit of marijuana, a little smoking the reefer. There's been a few stories, obviously, and now that reefer is somewhat legal in most places in America, the NBA has decided to allow them to smoke the.
Speaker 2: Reefer when just all to just cruising him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're not gonna They used to come down hard on them, Like I remember whenever I was back in college, it was like a no go and you got drug tests and everything else for it. And there's probably some people I think that we're probably found ways to get around it. But the NBA now has just got to the point. Players have been asking for this for a long time because they don't feel as though there is a competitive advantage by doing it. That they now have finally got the tick of approval to say it's okay.
Speaker 2: It is very interesting because there's not yeah, if it's if it's no longer a legal issue, and like you can have it, you know, you play a game, you can have a couple of postgame beers or whatever, and that's fine. But like over there in some states, marijuana is like the same as like alcohol is the same as anything else. It really just comes down to performance. Yeah, which if you start smoking weed all the time and there's a decline in your performance and you stop getting picked for games and stuff like, that's kind of where it affects you. But like outside of that, it probably should be free, right right.
Speaker 1: Well it's in the US. It's it's actually quite popular now. So like whenever I go back and travel there, you just play you smell it now, you smell it everywhere. Imagine that I coming back and it's like, well it was legal there.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the image we need. You just smoke weed every day and like you're holding your bong and your gun and just post it on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Over the next iconic podcast posts home Sweet Home is the Sweet Home. Yeah, Kanye West is homecoming play in the background, let's go uh Now it is in the US, And about travel back. One thing I've noticed over the last probably five years is there's a lot of like CBD oils and stuff, and obviously with the electronic vacing, vaping pens and things of that nature, it's it's a lot harder to probably, I guess I just find people that you know are smoking weeds. So a lot of these states that you know previously had had it as an illegal thing, they now just opened up the doors or stopped like decriminalized it or things like that because it is so hard to actually, I guess confined because now it's all on oils and it's like you open up every single bag and test every single oil someone has in there, and a lot of people are like sorry, able to get away with it, and you smell it everywhere, like just walking around, just walking the streets, just smell in the air, and everyone's just smoking weed as if it's a cigarette and it's out of those little vaight pens that everyone's using.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is crazy. I see like marijuana from a medicinal standpoint as like super handy. Like I know a lot of fighters, like UFC fighters and stuff like swear by it for like their injuries and stuff. And Dimmer. Dimmer is like like invested in CBD, Realisenal CBD over here in Australia, so he's like at the forefront of that. So yeah, it's it's an interesting one. I don't see how it can assist you for performance, like, if anything, you should probably see a decline in.
Speaker 1: Like I'll look at it in the same I guess like scope of alcohol. During too much alcohol, you know, your performance play goes down, Like I think weeds very similar in that sense. I would never know anyone unless they're like to to energize for something they need, like a bit of a chiller, like maybe, but I can't imagine it would be a performance enhandser if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be like there'd be studies out there that show stuff like maybe you can't sleep post game. Yeah, I wouldn't go into the room's pre game. Just whip out the gatorade bottle and a little bit of host.
Speaker 1: Imagine I just passing the token up after a game and just passing that around, just be like, oh, we've gotta get to sleep some point.
Speaker 2: So at the huddle, caught a time huddle, All right, boys, pass this around. You guys are too amped up, chill out.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of.
Speaker 2: Bob Marley playing in the background.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. Well, in other news, we have other world news. Now, do you want to talk about Rick Flair's daughter and how she got absolutely embarrassed by in Australian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well she just got smoked by Rhea Ripley.
Speaker 1: Got smacked down.
Speaker 2: Rihea Ripley from Adelaide, So she went over there WrestleMania. As we all know, big WrestleMania goes over two days now. But Riha Ripley just defeated Charlotte Flairer to win the SmackDown Women's Championship. And with this, Ripley became the seventh Women's Triple Crown Champion and the fifth Women's Grand Slam Champion and is the youngest Grand Slam champion male or female in WWA history. She's only twenty six.
Speaker 1: Pretty wild, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she's like big time, so it's pretty cool to see. And a lot of Australian wrestlers are doing really well at the moment. So it's like Australia, we have a lot of land, but not a lot of people. And for the amount of people that we have, we do a lot on like the global stage in sport. I mean, it probably does make sense. It seems we invest most of our money into sport, but you know, we're doing it everywhere at the moment.
Speaker 1: I think with like I think of the swimming, right, So every time when I was in the US, like Australian Olympic swimming was just absurd for some reason. That was like the one time you always heard about Australia. It's like, oh, the Olympic team killing it in the pool again, absolutely murdering it. And it's like you always just think like US and China and everyone else gets all the gold medals, you know, and then like for the first like week that swings on, like Australia is in the top three for some reason, and then like once the rest of it happens, yeah, just kind of like the gold medal count just like pushes them down the actual ladder.
Speaker 2: But Donald Trump stop the vote like the first week where like Australia is just on top, smashing it. But yeah, because we've got to learn to swims so we don't drown to death. But they're just surrounded by water everywhere.
Speaker 1: Ae's got nippers and over. They're like five years old, so everyone's been swimming since kids.
Speaker 2: We're doing it everywhere. We got some you know F one drivers coming through. We got UFC fighters like as champions taken over, and you know at the wrestling we're doing it all. Not that we're saying wrestling is like a sport. It's probably more entertainment.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is wrestling, it's professional wrestling. But then actual wrestling is like amateur wrestling. I don't understand how that happens.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we actual wrestling, actual wrestling.
Speaker 1: It's not about entertainment. Here in Australia all about the entertainment. But I it's Ripley, well done. Congratulations, big props to you doing big things overseas, and we love to see that.
Speaker 2: They call her mummy mommy. Now I got that as a I can you put that on a soundboard. That's a good one. Thanks for that. Nice. Let's jump into the weekends foot you, because plenty was happening. Now last week you said, Jem, don't have to push the panic button, don't have to hit the big red button yet. Well now they're one three and just lost the Gold Coast. So are we are we pushing the red button yet?
Speaker 1: Not yet? Not yet. I mean, if you get the quarterway through the season, you still haven't won a game. It's it's it's alarm bells one o one. But I think Gold Coast is better. They were playing in gold Coast. Obviously Gelong still has a few injuries. It's still trying to sort it out. Don't get me wrong. It's only three games though they are eighteenth at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dead last.
Speaker 1: They're dead last from finishing the year with a cop to dead last. It's a it's a quick downfall. But I think they'll be.
Speaker 2: Back very often. But you also said it's probably more due to personnel. And they obviously got Stewart back and didn't.
Speaker 1: Trying to make me look bad, don't you, Dagalia. But yeah, we'll keep away from that one. No, Stewart did come back. They were playing up in Gold Coast. It's I think Gold Coast is actually a pretty good team. It's gonna be it's gonna be interesting because now the pressure is on them. It's a bit of a bit of pressure cooker with with what's going on. And yeah, hopefully they can turn around because I actually am a big vantage along. I think they're a great team and I love number people prove people wrong. So everyone says, oh, they're too old or to this and that, you know, and I just I just think they're entertaining. I think Jeremy Cameron freak absolute freak. We've said this before on the podcast, and yeah, I don't think it's alarm bells are like crazy going off right now. I think they just need to get one win on the like on the board, and then kind of the pressures off a little bit and then they just keep winning from there. A bit of a bit of consistency.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon losing Joel Sellward's leadership would have an impact or because they have a lot of senior players, not as much.
Speaker 1: I did see Joel at the f one over the weekend, just shook his hands at high didn't mention what we talked about last time i'd seen him, and they essentially a semi final. I think it was talking abit trash to each other. But yeah, no, I don't, I don't know. I think he definitely was a glue for a lot of those people. But there's so many people that are still there that are in leadership positions that have been at like jewel And Football Club for a long time and have a lot of experience. I think if b SAVS is a massive one, you know you've got Paddy Dangerfield, You've got you know, the Tom Hawkins who have been there for a long time, and I think Joel definitely was important for them. But I don't think everything crumbles because he's gone, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Saints they're marching in Oh They're marching.
Speaker 1: They are marching the.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fiftieth year celebrations one cup. Let's not dwell on that. But they are doing very well. Then it's it's like a flashback to twenty ten because Saints and Collingwood top of the ladder. I don't I don't know what he's doing down there. I reckon he's still in the cheach and buddies. Ross has just got them hummon at the moment, and they're playing fast footy.
Speaker 1: They're playing fast footy and fast footy at the moment, looking at all the games, that's what's winning games. Like those teams are playing fast foot year at the top of the ladder at the moment. So crowit to Ross. The Saints are a flying. I don't know if it's the caller they wore this weekend because I was a big fan of that, the old school caller. I think at one point someone did a little pop the collar in the middle of the game and a little fonsie. Yeah, a little fonsie, but yeah, big one fifty, Big one fifty for him. At the MCG had a bunch of the Hall of famers come around and they got to celebrate, which is pretty cool, and I think it's it's awesome to have, you know, a celebration like that, but also be able to win that game on the day, which is pretty awesome for him. And yeah, they're flying, absolutely flying Saint Kildo Football Club. And I don't think many people would have probably said that at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: It's pretty crazy that Tony Locket's kicked thirteen times more goals than you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he used to hick like thirteen in a game, Like when was the last time someone did that?
Speaker 2: Buddy at lawn System. But look at that just stats off the bat, the.
Speaker 1: Freaking dome, the Derby Jesuise. That was an absolute just murder fast down there. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So they had five injuries McGovern Showey, Ryan Witherden and Crips and they were you know, they put Ryan back out there and he was his knee was sticky taped back to his body and it was brutal. Every time he touched the ball. It looked like his leg was going to fall off, and if you were Adam Simpson, you'd be like, let's just call this, like how long's going and going? But they were still the game for a bit though. It held on, which was like sketchy from like Freo's point of view, like when are you going to blow the doors off this one? Because it's they just kept sticking in it and if anything, in the third quarter, towards the end of the third quarter, West Coast were on top and like coming home strong, but obviously the wheels fell off. Having you know, four players out there they could play like the bench is gone. You're just looking for a substitution.
Speaker 1: There's no one there. Everyone's got the coat ons, like not I'll play anymore today.
Speaker 2: It was bizarre and obviously the first two that went down Showey and McGovern like you're sitting there as the coach, just thinking, come on, can we get like a pincher luck and we it's really sad for Luke Shuey who's just had a really bad run with injuries, and yeah, you kind you don't want to see any anyone get injured, but yeah, he was visibly upset when he went to the bench and punched the wall and yeah, you could tell it. You know, it's not good for him. But we'll see how they go. We'll see what they feel next week. It'll be well.
Speaker 1: I think Nick Knat's, you know, there's able to talk Nick dexon come back soon. So Nick Knack, Patty Whack, give a dog. Obama and Mike just absolutely turned that club around.
Speaker 2: They might have to put Adam Simpson and Drew Petree is one of the coaches down there for the Petrie dishback out.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about your game because everyone's been waiting for us to talk about this big talking point. You last week were sitting in here and we were pumping you up about just about smash Richmond. What happened during the week. So you went to training and you did training. As far as I was concerned, everything was going smoothly. Then what happened, well, I.
Speaker 1: Thought so, So essentially in the game on Saturday, I got a bump really sore, and I was like, oh, I feel like something might be broken. We'll go in and get scans on Sunday. So Sunday I went to go get scans. Scans come back negative on the break. They're just like, you got a bit of contusion in there. And I was like, okay, well, I'm just bruised, so I'll just have to kind of work the bruising out, right. So I just have to work out a bunch, get the movement going in my like kind of chest and all that.
Speaker 2: So they basically said, you're a big sissy guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said, essentially, I's been four concrete sort of shit out. Let's go big game this week on Friday, so don't want to miss you on there. So anyway, so we get into training during the week and I'm thinking I'm still feeling a bit something's it off and I was like real nauseous and had shoulder pain and all those kind of random things that weren't really attached to a rib, you know, and did all the stuff to try to get up for the weekend. We get to Wednesday's training and I go out and I'm like, okay, were this guard. I've got to bash my off a few times just to make sure I'm good to go, like pop some pan at all, got the pain patch on everything else as possible to like get my head away from this pain, right, And I go out there and it's like I'm doing rock work. I'm hitting bodies and stuff, you know, I'm doing extra running after the session, and I come off and go I'm good to go, Rube, and I just feel a bit nauseous and weird and I've got this weird shoulder pain and goes, okay, well we'll calm back up and how the radio. I'll just look at it again. Radio ill just looked at it again and goes, oh, you got hum and time and you're playing. I was like, sorry, what and he's like, oh, essentially you've lacerated your playing. You've got internal bleeding, and yeah, you should probably get that sorted. And I was like okay. So four days after we took the original scan, I figure out what's actually wrong, and yeah it was it wasn't. It wasn't our doctor's fault. Our doctor is an absolute legend and a great man. But yeah, essentially I went to the hospital after finding that out and got a proper scan CT scan with a dying man stuff and got all that kind of sordid And the next day, on Thursday, I was at the team meeting and I've been told by that doctor He's like, you essentially not gonna doing anything for weeks on end, you know, And I went to the surgeon. Sorry, I went to the club. The next day, I'm in the meeting and I get the call from the surgeon and he goes, oh, I've talked to the best surgeons in Melbourne and we've come to a conclusion that we want to do this operation on you. And I said, okay, like when do I need to come in? He goes, can you be here in the next thirty minutes. I was like sitting there at the club, going, yeah, I guess, so I can't really do anything anyway exactly. So I wasn't really sure what we're going to do, and just kind of like showed up to the hospital, got driven there and next thing you know, they cut open one of my arteries and put this like big wire down me and get to my spleen and like, you know, patch it all up, and I was out of there, stayed overnight, and was out of there the next day and went to the game on Friday night, and then ended up going to the f one with you on Saturday, and then went again on Sundays. So it's been a big week, a big crazy week, And yeah, it's I feel fine now, feeling actually pretty good now. So it's it's more frustrating. I just can't do anything for a bit at the moment.
Speaker 2: Which was nuts. So you had internal bleeding for a few days, didn't know, and then trained with it.
Speaker 1: I mean I told you last podcast, I was like I feel a little bit off. Yeah, like stop through it, shut up. I was bleeding internally, Brandon.
Speaker 2: Hey, if I hadn't known, I probably would have said the same stuff. So you there's so much like confusion because it was a real roller coaster because you're sending me stuff going like hey, might have to do like postpone this because like it's sick, and then like oh yeah, I hurt my spleen and then it's like I'm going to be out forever, and then it's like I'm going to be out for a day, and then I'm going to be No. It's like this was like it was just up and down as you kept getting news that was like wholer opposite and different, and it's that must be super frustrating. So what are the the steps Now? You can't do anything.
Speaker 1: No, I can't really do anything. So the spoon's got to essentially repair itself and then so at the moment, just chilling, and then we'll have some scantoon in about a week and we'll kind of get a bit of an understanding of how it's recovering and how it's healing, and then from there we'll get a better idea of a time frame. It's not great with Darcy camera going down over the weekend, so it's kind of a bit of pressure on me to come and get back as soon as possible. But yeah, at this point, I can't really do anything at all. I can't do anything more to try to get back sooner or anything like that. The body's just got to recover. So it's just relaxation and rest and hopefully you know that the white blood cells do their thing and repair everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the white blood cells. So what's your diet got to be.
Speaker 1: It's essentially just red meat. I've just got to eat steak steak for weeks. The doc told me is like, you eat a lot of red meat and steaks. I was like, hey, it's been a real rough day, but this has been the best news I've got.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you gotta this is filthy feels time to shine. It just chuck you limit at the barbecue joint around the corner. He's got to fit the smoker on the plane and fly over. I've got to look after me, boy boy. So you can't do anything, is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And the pressure again on you to like, you know, because straight away I was going to send you a message going like they need you back, because it's like that's got to be the most frustrating part that there's nothing you can do to aid your recovery.
Speaker 1: Now it's just sitting around like, just don't get whacked in the spleen essentially, is what he said. And he said, can't get your heart rate up for a bit, can't do anything. So I've essentially started helping out with the Rocks this week, started a bit of coaching. I guess you'd say, and get that double pay, get the enough I'm still waiting to get the single pay, but no, I'll go up to Brisbane. I'll go to the game and be there for support and try to help out some of the Rocks. Obviously, we'll have some guys in there that haven't played a lot of rock for the team, so we'll you know, be able to hopefully help them and try to find different ways for them to be successful.
Speaker 2: Do you know what happens if you do couple whack on the.
Speaker 1: Spleen, internal bleeding? Straight to the trauma center. So for a while I was having to carry a piece of paper with me, so if something did happen that I essentially it said like where to take me, what was going on, and what to do. So like if someone I'd just be like, I'll just read the paper and just go to this sorry Alfred hospital or this hospital, take me straight to the trauma ward. This is what's going on. It's kind of like wild think.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you don't do a normal injury. We're talking about this.
Speaker 1: Why do that? It's no fun, Brandon, Why be normal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what you got left in yet.
Speaker 1: Well, the world is my oyster. The world is my oyster.
Speaker 2: Parents are going to be like, we sent our boy over there play this weird game and he's come back with no eyes and he's spleen busted and he's freak.
Speaker 1: He has bruised constantly. But we'll go to So during the game, obviously, one of the big things that did happen was Darcy Cameron went down and there was one person we probably couldn't afford to get injured Darcy Cameron, and of course it happens he's done an MCL injury and yeah, it's going to be a decent amount of time on the side line for him. Luckily it's not an ACL, which would have been probably season, so it's it's probably glasses half full kind of moment where he's he's going to be back hopefully before mid season, which would be pretty cool. So a bit of wait and see with him also, but it is going to be an extended period on the sidelines unfortunately for him. So we've got to find someone to fill the rock roll that's Berdie Grundy's gone and the other two ruckman that we thought we're going to fill a spot or both injured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what happens now with that because obviously postmatch Fly said that Beg isn't probably in the spot where he needs to be, like match fitness wise, I think he's only played one VFL game.
Speaker 1: So the back injury at the moment two So they chucked in.
Speaker 2: Ash Johnson played for a chunk of it and that that a defensive absolute Sama, he's for a ball up Like I was like, oh, God, it's exciting, but I loved it. So what's the what's the plan now for a rock stuck at Collingly. Yeah, so we've got essentially oscars. We recruited him at the beginning of the year. He is a rock in development. He might get the call up, you know, he might have the opportunity to come in and play. He's young man, he's like eighteen nineteen years old, so I'm sure in his mine right now, he's like, oh my gosh, this See there's going to be an amazing opportunity to get some AFL games and an early time in my career. Yeah, but I'm not really too sure exactly what we will do if we give him an opportunity or we go somewhere else. We've got Damn k Stay obviously, ash Billy Frampton's a big boy that can play in there too. I've done a few rocks with him and he's he's I think the strongest guy at the club. So he's you know, he's benching like upwards of one forty if not more, and he's a massive human so he's.
Speaker 1: Tough to move. Yeah, yeah, same to you, right. Yeah. But over the weekend we played Damn stay in the right quite a bit, so if you know, we go to the same kind of route, he'll probably play a little bit more so. The first thing I asked him this morning whenever I went in was do you have a shing guard? And he was like nope. I was like, I saw it. So he's he's gonna try to get that done and I think Ash might jump into I'm not really too sure what we'll do, but it's gonna be a different look. It's gonna be a bit of a different look when we go against big Oscar mcinnerney. So he's a he's got probably close to the same height as me in the same build, and he's a big boy. So it's it's gonna be a tough ask for whoever goes in there and plays against him.
Speaker 2: Well, they did throw Pendles in there at stage the Rolls Royce was that, Yeah, I'd got your heart in your mouth every time you see that.
Speaker 1: I told him after I said, we'll have a little bit of a you know, a rock breakdown. You come to the review of Ruckman for.
Speaker 2: The week that, well, are you trying to teach him stuff?
Speaker 1: No chance I'm teaching him anything. He's still trying to teach me how to bounce of football.
Speaker 2: And now the VFL. We have mentioned it a couple of times, but they got the dub over the weekend and Jess returned kicked a couple of schnaggers. Good to see him back. But it was quoted that he he looked like an AFL player playing at VFL level. Yeah, it's going to be hard for him to get back into the team.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting thing. We've got a team that's playing pretty well, and I've been in this position that Guinea's in before. It's it's quite frustrating because with the team playing well, like you don't really want to change too many magnets on the board, and the people are playing in this position are actually playing really well. Also, you know, you've got the Jamie Elliott and you've got you've got Bobby playing really well too. So it's not a position I want to be in as a coach. I think this is one of the probably the hardest things as a coach, is like trying to fit everyone on the white board. You know, it's you've got to break someone's heart every single week. You break multiple people's hearts every week. Him playing well in the VFL is going to get him the best opportunity to play AFL and you can't look past that. Hopefully playing well at that role, you know, playing AFL level in the VFL, and yeah, that's what's going to put him in the bestead to hopefully get a call up in the AFL.
Speaker 2: There will be a moment that pops up where he gets a chance, and you just got to be ready for He's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got to be realized that we're not going to be one hundred cent healthy for the rest of the season. There's going to be injuries, there's going to be formed differences and all that, and if he continues to play well in the VFL, he will eventually get a call up.
Speaker 2: Well, he did talk about the big oscar. You got Collingwood Brisbane this weekend. What are you doing your cruising up gets some sunshine or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to say no to the little trip to Brisbane slash Gold Coast, mate, I'm not going to say no to that. And we've got about three days off as a club after so a few people are going to stay up in the area and just soak in the sun before we turn into winter here in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Not bad. So how do you see that game playing out? Because they're really good at home, like they've they've been a bit sketchy away, but they're one win, two losses. But they got the win at home in the when the lights turned out against Melbourne, and before that they were really impressive, like they were up by forty points before Melbourne came storming home, So that'd be really confident up there. And then obviously no Rock. How do you see this plan out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting. Like you said, Brisbane's a very good home team and they're coming off a loss to the Bulldogs, so they're going to be fired up. They're going to get a bit of a spray from Chris Fagan, I'm sure. And yeah, being at home, they're a good team. And it's a the Gap is a very kind of like it's a night game, and whenever you play a night game up at the Gap, but it's a it's a dewey, kind of wet like moisture kind of place up there, so you almost expect someone of the conditions of a late rain, if you could say so. The ball is going to be slippery. It's not going to be probably the cleanest of games, so it will be an interesting game. I think their defense is pretty strong, so with obviously having to move some more forwards, probably into the rock or whoever it is, there's going to be quite a bit of movement in our team to figure it out. So maybe that's going to be a problem for us, but hopefully we'll be okay. I think, you know, we travel as a club pretty well, like as Collingwood if you look at the statistics, I think we travel really well, and we get around each other. We need we enjoy the experience of being all way together, and yeah, it's gonna be it's gonna be a good one. Thursday night footy, Thursday night footy at the Yabba. I just hope they can keep the lights on.
Speaker 2: You go down to the lights and just if you're trailing by a little bit, just mess with them and turn them off again. We know they don't perform well after lights have been turned off.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the key. Maybe that's the key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just walk around with a big bucket of water. Whoops, whoops. Okay, that's I think that's about all we got.
Speaker 1: That's about all we got man. It's it's been a big week in sport and it's definitely been entertaining nonetheless. And I think one thing we'll learn is that you can't say anything to Emparras anymore. That's that's the big learning lesson.
Speaker 2: Remember that one last year where you withheld your yes ms.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the best way to handle the players out there that are listening. Cross the arms and just give them dead eyes.
Speaker 2: And then you get a podcast and you dissent them on there.
Speaker 1: Yes, just and then you get an umpire on the podcast and talk about dissenting them. Check out Razor Raise episode. It's actually legit. But that is it for the sporting segment. Thanks so much for tuning in. We've got the entertainment segment coming out on Thursday this week. Sorry, check it out Thursday morning. That will be launching and there'll be plenty, plenty plenty on there. Sorry, all the best, Thanks so much for tuning in. We'll see you soon, yeah,