Speaker 1: Hihart podcasts, Hemore Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Hey Laura, question, if you were to go and see like one of your favorite artists but they said you weren't allowed to bring your phone, how would you feel? Would it bother you or to put you off going?
Speaker 1: How are they going to police it? Is my question?
Speaker 2: Okay, well I have that answer. So this is actually happening at the moment. Sabrina Carpenter has come out. She went to a concert herself in Las Vegas to see Silk Sonics, and part of that gig was the fact that you weren't allowed to take phones, so you had to put your phone away. It was like a no phone gig. She said she's never had a better experience at a concert. She was loving it. Everyone was dancing, engaging, That was like they were back in the seventies. And she's saying, well, maybe I'm going to consider no phones at one of my future concerts.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand the debate for it. I get it, like it must be annoying being on stage and everyone's actually just watching you and not really watching you. They're watching you through a phone. But I also think that there's positives to it too.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's not any one of the thinks this, Like multiple people have come out in the past, John Mayer, Billie Eilish have a listened to Billy's comment.
Speaker 3: All I ask is that we all try to live in the moment, and a lot of the time I'll say, put your phones away, but if you want a film, that's okay, just put it next to your face. You know what I'm saying. Look at me in my eyes, be here because this is the only moment we get to be in, this moment, and like, we're never gonna be right here this second, on this day and this age ever again, this is the only only moment we ever get ever. Ever. I do like it.
Speaker 2: Just before Laurie, you said, well, I could be doing a poo, and Laura's like, I could be on the toilet doing a poo and it will be the last moment I get.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 1: Okay. I love Billie Eilish, but that's one of those you have to be their moments to really feel the magnitude of it. Because when someone's like it's the only moment you're going to be here, that can be said about every second of your life. You could you could apply that logic to sitting on the toilet doing a pooge, Like we can't. Okay, I have multiple feelings about this, but I give.
Speaker 2: Me one feeling.
Speaker 1: We don't have time for multiple uncertainty. I think it's too hard to police. And my biggest issue with it is like it's okay to say, oh, look, you know, no phones or put your phones down, so then people like socially police each other. So if someone has their phone out, it's a bit like put your phone away. But I don't think that you could like stop people from bringing a phone into a venue for a massive concert. Imagine how long those lines would be. They're already too.
Speaker 2: Long, Laura. There is something called a secure pouch. What's it called grace. It's a Yonder patch, that's a Yonder pouch, and this is.
Speaker 1: Like a female feminine product, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yonder pouch. So they've got these pouches where I'm imagining it's a secure pouch. They can only be like it's locked, it can only be opened in certain parts of the venue. So maybe it's like the bar, or it's the entrance or toilet or whatever it is. But I'm imagining people line up and when you're scanning your tickets, you get a yonder pouch. They what you lock your phone in it, and then everyone knows you can't open it until you go back to this area. So you've got your phone on you, but it's not allowed to be used.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sort of like, I sort of think it's cool. I understand why artists would say, hey, guys, surprisingly, we don't want to stare at your phone, like eighty thousand phones just looking at us. We'd love to be engaging with you and seeing your reaction. Are you enjoying it? Like, are you vibing it being the moment? But I also understand where we live in a day and age where that's also helping promote that artist totally.
Speaker 1: And I think like it's you've got to be in a pretty privileged position to say, oh, I don't need the promotion of people and their Instagrams.
Speaker 2: Like Sabrina Carpenter Ken say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like most artists need their audience sharing it and like, you know, promoting it across socials and all that sks of stuff to be able to sell out venues or to get more eyes on the products that they're creating. I don't know. I mean, I remember this is not a new debate. I remember it was very very obsessed with John Mayer back in about twenty thirteen, and he came out saying that constitutor is different now. He's like, I don't feel as though people are enjoying them when they're at my concerts. And then I go on social media to see how many people have shared it and what they've said about it, to actually get a gauge because people are watching me perform through a phone.
Speaker 2: Well, he actually said, funnily enough, I've got his quote here.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: People aren't going crazy, And I think to myself, I'm not playing a very good show, am I? And then I look out into the audience and they are going crazy, but not for me. They're applauding into the phone. So that sends back to like it must feel really hard. Imagine how insecure they are. It's like the John Mayer who was huge, and he's still on stage being like, oh god, these guys aren't enjoying this. Like no one's laughing, clapping, cheering, celebrating. They're just looking into their screen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the question is who's having a bad time. Is the audience still having a good time or is it.
Speaker 2: Just because of the person on that's why he doesn't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, But there is nothing worse than if you're in the standing area and some idiot in front of you has their phone out and you can't see over it, and you're watching the person on stage through their phone, because that's all you can see. That's why I see it is better Yep YONDI pouch.
Speaker 2: Here we come.