Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Mattrolope, a writer for oz open dot com now Viv for this week's episode. Unfortunately, I was a little unwell and couldn't join you in the studio. I was on screen though for this interview. Tell us what it was like to actually be in studio with Daria and Luke Savill.
Speaker 1: Well, it was fabulous, Matt. There was so much fun and energy spending time with Dasha and Luke, who were actually doing their first official interview as a couple, and I think we got a really strong sense of how they click as a couple, but particularly how they've supported each other throughout their tennis careers.
Speaker 2: For sure, And speaking of how they click for the listeners who won't have seen them, they rocked up in almost matching outfits. They we're both in a shade of pink or purple, so we loved their coordinated approach to the interview and you started it off by asking them the most important question about their dog, who's almost as famous as them.
Speaker 1: Luke and Dasher, thank you for joining us today on the sit down at great to have you here in the studio.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This is a very nice studio by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call it pot labor Arena.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it. This is so smart.
Speaker 1: What's of great interviews happening here, including this one? I'm sure, But let's start with the most important question. Where is Tofu right now? Who is looking after Tofu?
Speaker 4: Dash's mum back in back in the house. But I'm sure he's probably pretty sad and disappointed that he's not here. He's he always waves goodbye to us when we go to work, and it's it's quite a funny, quite a funny sight.
Speaker 1: You must you must love catching up with Tofu when you're home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, definitely. I probably prioritize him over anyone. So if any of my friends are listening to this, and I may be sometimes canceled some of my some of our okchaps, that's probably because I wanted to just sit on the couch with him.
Speaker 1: In all seriousness, it does seem like it's kind of a rare break for both of you being home together. What do you most laugh about being back in Melbourne?
Speaker 4: For me, it's probably just living kind of normal for a little bit. It's staying in their own bed, in the in the house, waking up, making a coffee on our coffee machine, and just sort of hanging out with Tofu as well. I'm usually up before Dasha, so he gets up with me as well, and I usually bring him down and he just falls asleep on the couch. So I think he just likes knowing that we're home and he can sort of see.
Speaker 6: His mum and dad.
Speaker 4: But also just the training side of it, and I mean obviously spending time with one another when we're traveling a lot of the time we're on different schedules, so's it's nice to sort of live normal and yeah, just just be in the house and not do a whole lot for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Right, Oh, what about golf all the golf golfing that you're doing that as well, But.
Speaker 6: That's that's a touchy subject.
Speaker 1: I can actually really to that. We have that in our house too. How many how many weeks would that happen when you're of a year? Would that happen when you're home together?
Speaker 5: Honestly, we can probably count them on one hand, right, like, not that much. Mostly, you know, at the end of the season, like pre season and then you know, au this summer, we're still we're at home in the country, but still like you know, playing tournaments, but still feels like we're at home.
Speaker 3: But yeah, not not that often.
Speaker 2: To be fair, speaking of this, like, I'm not sure how often it is that you've done joint interviews before. Is this Is this something that's regular for you to in your media careers.
Speaker 6: Definitely not.
Speaker 4: It's probably maybe a first yeah, but then I'll be interesting. I hope you guys don't stitch us up with any hard hitting questions or anything like that. But no, it's I mean, it's good to even spend time together, even if it's an interview.
Speaker 2: How often do you get asked about each other in interviews if you don't do them together? Is that something that comes up a lot?
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely get asked a lot about Tofu.
Speaker 3: And then and then Loup probably second.
Speaker 2: What about you Luke to come up in yours?
Speaker 6: Yeah, quite a bit.
Speaker 4: It's quite a common question how much we see each other, And it's a very difficult question to answer because from every year, you know, it really varies on how much we see each other in the different tournaments we play, but it probably, yeah, it varies from probably fifteen to twenty five weeks something like that. So but to be honest, we've been dating for so many years, and especially early days in juniors, we weren't seeing much of each other at all, So it's just sort of it just comes with the business. And I think that we both know what it takes to play professional tennis and a lot of that is travel, so we both get it and I think it actually really works well when we can bounce ideas off each other and when we have to do long stints away.
Speaker 6: It's just part of the business.
Speaker 2: When was the first meeting between the two of you? Was Was it in Australia?
Speaker 6: I think it was Junior Davis Cup in.
Speaker 5: Mexico, Mexico, okay, and then a lot of just Facebook messaging to be fair okay.
Speaker 2: And what year was that Junior Davis Cup Fair Cup.
Speaker 3: I think we were sixteen, so two thousand and nine O ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So yeah, Dasha was obviously playing for Russia at the time, and I think we both won, both won the events, and yeah, there might have been a player's party and slash disco there and that's where I showed my great moves to Dasha clearly. Clearly I'm joking, but yeah, from there it was a little bit of messaging and obviously quite early days we were young, but yeah, sort of loossom from there.
Speaker 1: How often did you get to meet up at sort of that early in those junior.
Speaker 3: Days, Not much at all. I think we've.
Speaker 5: There was a time where we didn't see each other for a year, like literally standing open juniors, and then the following year something like that. But we just kept in touch. And but yeah, I think when I turned eighteen, that's when I moved to Australia, so that made things a lot easier. And then, you know, to be fair, when I came to Australia, I've just done my ACL so then that meant that I was kind of staying in Melbourne and that's when we probably spent the most of our time together. And then until Luke started, you know, traveling and playing tournaments. But then that's when you know, this whole us trying to schedule our tournaments together started and we're still going.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic story. And I guess because the two countries where you're from are so far apart, like they're on opposite parts of the world. Dashing you said, yeah, you came here when you were eighteen. How grateful were you that tennis, you know, allowed you to meet Luke and then it's kind of created it maybe a different path to you that you might not have known, Like did you know you would end up in Australia and be a citizen here when you were younger?
Speaker 5: Probably not when I started tennis, but when I started traveling, I really liked Australia and I was like, oh my god, this is like I could live here.
Speaker 3: And yeah.
Speaker 5: Then I came back a few years later to play like challenges ATFS twenty fives and I told my dad. I was like, I'm going to Australia because you know it's the cuts were weaker, so I would definitely be in main draw of those tournaments. And he's like, oh, aren't you dating like a boy there? And I'm like, well, yeah, that too.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you first came to Australia. Can you remember your first trip?
Speaker 3: I think either fifteen or sixteen. I was still playing juniors.
Speaker 2: And on the flip side, Luke, have you been, because obviously Dasha licks you have you been to Russia much. Can you speak any of the language.
Speaker 6: I definitely can't.
Speaker 4: We've tried, but I just can't pick it up for the life of me.
Speaker 6: It's it's very difficult.
Speaker 4: And I've been once to Russia and Dasha wasn't there, actually, But I went to Moscow and Saint Petersburg and was absolutely blown away with just the cities themselves and the architecture and the food.
Speaker 6: And Dasha's dad was there, and I met a dog, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I s met my grandama as well.
Speaker 4: I met Dasha's grandma and he walked me around the park that USh sort of grew up around, and we went and had some cinnamon doughnuts that Dasha loves as well.
Speaker 6: So, but where were you, Dasha?
Speaker 3: I was injured.
Speaker 5: So it was also during like COVID year, so I was recovering from achilles.
Speaker 3: Injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so these days, do you train together often or hit together often?
Speaker 5: We actually do a little bit. Luke helps me out. It's probably more beneficial to me than it is to Luke. But then again, I think I make enough balls and pretty consistent. Sometimes looks like, wow, you really don't miss that much, And I think we make it work. But definitely wouldn't play too many points. I don't think it'll be very interesting for Luke to be fair.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like work or does it feel like fun when you're hitting together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we tried to make it work like otherwise it's a bit of yeah, a bit of waste of time.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: Actually during COVID in lockdown, we kind of had to hit together because the you know, of their restrictions, that was getting a bit difficult.
Speaker 6: I think, Yeah, there was.
Speaker 4: A little bit of tension on court, it's fair to say, but that was probably just the times as well. We were staying the house twenty four to seven together and then going out with our one little bit of freedom for the day, and then we'd practice with each other. So it's it's probably a little bit like the mixed doubles. We go out there and we aim to really enjoy it and not take it too seriously, but ultimately it always gets competitive and possibly a little argumentative. But I'd say in the last last six months, maybe years, the hitting has been a lot better.
Speaker 6: We tend to enjoy it a lot more and make it work.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I mean, obviously I'm a little bit biased, but I think is one of the best out of the hand there is. She barely misses the ball and just like a ball machine. So it's very impressive.
Speaker 1: Who is the better coach among you.
Speaker 5: Probably Luke, I would say. I think Luke is a lot more patient. I can be a little bit too direct, but some I guess it depends who you ask. Maybe some people like it avoid direct, But I think I listened to you if you you know, like even on court when we're practiced together, we'll have our coaches there, but you know, we would still chat, and I think we do listen.
Speaker 3: To each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you don't speak a lot about tennis, but when you do, it's really spot on.
Speaker 6: It's really good.
Speaker 4: And obviously your tennis mind is great, your tennis ps IQ out on the court and all that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, you obviously don't.
Speaker 4: I think you try and you almost escape from tennis a little bit, but when you actually do it, it's great information. So one day, if you decide to coach, you probably have to work on the delivery and being a little bit softer. Maybe it depends on how your coach, but if they can take that and you can work on that part, I think you could be a great coach.
Speaker 5: I do think sometimes, you know, I would like to be someone's mentor mentor like a young.
Speaker 3: Junior.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially a female. Yeah, that'd be something I would want to do, even like while still playing.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's kind of part of the Australian tennis culture as well. It seems like there's a really great environment of everyone supporting each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean I can speak for myself with a lot of the boys that I travel with, a lot of my great mates, and I think it's a really tight knit group of us. And you know, even when we're over in Asia or in the States or Europe, wherever it might be, and we don't have a coach, you'll see probably one or two ossies out there supporting, And even if they're playing the same day, they just want to get out there and they know you don't have a coach there or anyone in your team, but they'll be out there supporting. I think that's just I think from a young age we've had to do that because you know, we're so remote and yeah, we sort of feel like it's almost us against the world a little bit. So, Yeah, it's always been a great group and for that it makes you really proud to be Australian when you're over there and you see how tight we are and then some other countries is not so tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Back to your relationship, it seems like tennis obviously comes up a lot. Do you ever have days where you sort of don't talk about tennis or make an effort to not make it about tennis?
Speaker 5: Probably not, let's face it to be fair, It's not like we talk about it all the time, but there will be something every day that we will say.
Speaker 3: Oh did you see did you see this result? Or did you.
Speaker 5: See this drama or blah blah blah, So something comes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Probably the only time we wouldn't talk about it at all in the off season where there's no tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeap.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's just such a big part of our life that if we actively try and avoid it, we're probably thinking about it more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we try and switch off, but ultimately, yeah, like Dasha said, we speak about it in the end.
Speaker 1: What's it like when you're watching each other, Oh, I'm a nervous wreck or really yeah, I can sympathize for all the coaches and love ones out there because it is much harder.
Speaker 4: I don't know about much harder, but it's definitely harder than playing. You just you care so much. Obviously, you're so invested and can't control the outcome. And I've gotten better of late of just sitting back and just telling myself, well, whatever happens, happens. Like she's doing her best, that she's doing her best. I know that for a fact, And yeah, that's all you can really ask for at the end of the day, because I know when I'm out there playing, she's feeling the same. I'm doing my best, and sort of what can you do? You can support and whatnot. But it's it's brutal.
Speaker 5: It's brutal because you feel like so helpless and you feel like we know each other so much, like we feel like, oh, we should say something, but you really shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Like sometimes it's really hard.
Speaker 5: Not to like be a coach, but you're actually there just to support each other, not coach each other. Unless we specifically asked each other, hey, like can you can you have that role and be the coach? Because Luke, you've probably been my on like traveling coach twice maybe actually both times in Canada one time during Toronto and one time in Granby, and that's when they actually made finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just about to say, wasn't that a great result for you? Yeah, formulas working. Did you enjoy that side of it?
Speaker 6: LP, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm hoping maybe one day it's a route I could possibly go down. His coaching and I think it's just all I think just the appreciation of how hard tennis is for me over the last few years. That just shows that probably helps me sort of relax a bit more and just know that she's doing her best and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 6: But I think, yeah, it worked well.
Speaker 4: I think I did some on court coaching in Toronto and some of my mates they took some footage of that and kind of, yeah, joked about it a little bit. They thought it was pretty funny me going out and coaching Dash and I was my up as well, so that yeah, that was allowed.
Speaker 6: That was a joke amongst the boys. So but yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was good fun and having the responsibility of a player, I found it very exciting.
Speaker 5: We did say that that's probably not something we would do, like, you know, have Luke traveling with me.
Speaker 3: And coaching me that's not happening. We discussed.
Speaker 1: That sounds very.
Speaker 2: Clear, Dasha. It was interesting hearing Luke describe like your strength strengths as a player, like your consistency and your tennis i Q. And it sounds like that you get a lot out of the practice sessions with Luke. What are his strengths as a player.
Speaker 5: I think Luke's strength is definitely patience and probably his I would say attitude, like I could never Luke's like impossible to read. You wouldn't know if he is mad, if he is Like he doesn't show much emotion, even like since junior is he doesn't show like negative emotions at all.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 5: That's something I should maybe learn a bit late. Now I'm like thirty, still still learning. I look at some like young players and I'm like, yeah, one day I want to be like them.
Speaker 3: And I'm like ten years older than.
Speaker 5: But it's cool, like we're pretty different me and Luke. And Luke can also just like push through and like.
Speaker 3: Keep grinding, and.
Speaker 5: You know, even like with schedules like play many back to back tournaments where I'm like, okay, I'm out, I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's like, yeah, that.
Speaker 5: That mentality you know that you know, I've I can keep going and what is it like great?
Speaker 3: Would you say persistence?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I mean you've got that as well. But yeah, I know what you mean. I probably just I'm just probably silent and just go through it and probably not for the better, whereas you can sort of feel like you're maybe dragging the chain a little bit and a little bit down and you just say no, I'm done, I'm going home and have a refresh, and which I think there's strengths to both sides.
Speaker 5: I think Luke's like also the most consistent, one of the most consistent players are probably even like athletes have ever come across, and are very diligent, and you know, like on weekends I would be like just chilling doing nothing, where Luke would still, you know, like do something that is not just good for a tennis but like good for his body, like do a recovery, where I sometimes just yeah, completely like that, I'm done. I just want to not do anything that is good for me.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's kind of the balance though, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Luke you alluded to mixed doubles before and that you know, it can get a bit competitive when you guys play together, but you have played five Australian Opens together, so there must be something that keeps you guys coming back and entering the mixed doubles draw and wanting to go on.
Speaker 3: There one one.
Speaker 4: Matt, Yeah, yeah, we don't have the best record to be fair, but mad we lost the runner ups start of this year, but yeah, I think in the moment, yeah, we're competitive, and maybe straight after, but in reflection, I think it's still great that, you know, as a couple, were able to play the Australian Open. You know, one day our career is going to be done and we look back on those memories, you know, you know we're married as a couple. To go and play out there in front of family and friends and play a Grand Slam, our home Grand Slam. We live here in Melbourne, it's it's amazing. So I think that's why what keeps us coming back is those opportunities to go out there and play, and obviously we want to win, but we're out there and sort of making memories and we can look back on those for the rest of our life.
Speaker 6: So I think that's the core part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. It's an incredibly unique opportunity. It was also really cool listening to the two of you describe each other's strengths. What would you say, given your careers of any parallel I as pro plays for such a long time, what's the biggest thing you've seen in each other and learned from each other, maybe even adopting in your game or your approach or your mentality.
Speaker 4: Well, with Dasher, I think it's, you know, she's obviously had a lot of setbacks, injury setbacks, and you know, touch Wood, I haven't had as many, or really any at all to the extent of her, And I mean just her grit and determination and persistence to come back from those I think three or four times and back to top one hundred basically from no ranking. I think it's I can't even sort of find a word for it. It's so admirable, absolutely incredible, and it just shows the determination she's got. I mean, obviously the tennis she has as well. I mean I think it's she's been top twenty, and I think she can get back there again with some health, with a good run, and I think just yeah, looking it's you know, she's gained so much respect from not only her peers, but a lot of the Australians, the Australian public as well, and just her fighting, fighting spirit as well. I think no matter what the score is, you're always given your absolute best and I think that's what everyone loves about you.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 5: I think with Luke, Luke's like one of the best team players, even though tennis is not a team sport, but I admire, you know, how supportive he is of his mates. And you know, I think it goes a long way if you you know, reach out to someone or come and watch them. And it's something I'm starting to do a lot more because especially if like what Luke said, you know, when you were growing up and traveling with other boys and a few years later you're playing like the biggest tournaments and it's pretty cool. So it's something I would like encourage up and coming you know, players juniors.
Speaker 3: To do is support each other.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I've mentioned before how Luke is very consistent with you know, his routines and whatnot. But I also learned with Luke that he actually can switch off and you know, take the day off to play golf, let's say, or you know, any like he has other interests, which is also really important because yeah, you definitely need need another source where yeah you can with the energy and then feel like, okay, this is also fulfilling. It's not just always about tennis.
Speaker 1: It's interesting hearing a little bit about your junior career, Luke, because I wanted to take you back bear with me to a letter that I have in the Australian Tennis magazine files from a few years ago, and I just wanted to read you a couple of lines. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I injured my arm and couldn't play the last game. It was a disaster, disaster and big letters. So after the tournament I had two and a half weeks off and then there was a question. What I don't understand is why does the number one seed play the number three seed and in the semifinals and number two plays number four seeds? Just wondering if you remember anything about that letter he wrote a letter, Just want to pull it out for you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, do you remember this? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Wow? Years old?
Speaker 3: I actually do I need to frame this?
Speaker 6: So was that it was.
Speaker 1: Big letters disaster.
Speaker 3: It's not just big letters, it's late.
Speaker 6: I'm so taken aback right now?
Speaker 1: Is it fun looking back?
Speaker 4: That's hilarious, That's absolutely hilarious. I vaguely remember that. And that was Bruce Cup.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was Bruce.
Speaker 3: Cups two thousand and five, by the way, two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I played three Bruce Cups. It's an under twelves state teams competition. And I remember my arm.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: They kept me in the lineup, but I couldn't serve, so I was serving under arm. And then I went home and I had like an our physio treatment on my arm and it was just basically a huge not in the back of the back of my shoulder that he just had to get out. And I was good as gold after that. But that was up in. That was up in Darwin, and I remember riding. It was a disaster in four or four times bigger than than the rest.
Speaker 5: Of the So, yeah, it's like a notebook with lines and Luke it took one to five lines or six lines to put it was a disaster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't I don't mince my words. So I.
Speaker 2: Will be very, very thrilled that Luke, you were reading it and conceiving the magazine from such a young age. That's like a real tennis fan.
Speaker 5: You still ride the same, by the way, it's probably better back then, but we don't need to know that. You know how you brought up a few weeks ago that when you have like little injury, like you really struggle. I guess it started from two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: You just had a nel like.
Speaker 5: Niggle in your arm and you'd take six lines to write.
Speaker 3: It was a disaster.
Speaker 1: So after looking back, let's look forward a little bit. Dasha, You're about to go to Billy jing Kin Cup finals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm actually leaving tomorrow. I'm playing another tournament just before that, an IF seventy five in Luxembourg. And yeah, I've been looking after, you know, my body a little bit. I've had a foot like kind of fasciatis foot injuries. So it's it's it's feeling good. So I'm excited to, you know, compete again. And I've actually started working with Michael Lagazo, so spend almost a month working with him. So if I don't do well, that's because and if I do well, that's also because of you. I'm kidding, but yeah, I'm actually we've been working on a few things.
Speaker 3: You know. It's not like any sin.
Speaker 5: Dramatic and I don't have a one handed back end, but I am excited to confit with what we've worked on.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, Luke. What's next for you?
Speaker 4: I'm sort of done for the year, just chilling out a little bit at the moment, spending a little bit of time with Dasher and possibly heading up to the Gold Coast for the future up there, and Dasha is also playing the seventy five a couple of weeks after fed Cup, so yeah, just a little bit of downtime now and then just looking ahead to January and hopefully yeah, playing the playing the Australian Open and maybe enjoying the mixed doubles this time around.
Speaker 1: What do you most kind of look forward to when you think about an Australian summer coming up.
Speaker 4: Firstly, it's probably just being home, that's the obvious one. But there's just there's nothing like playing the Australian Open every single year, the anticipation of just playing your home slam, and every year it's improving, it really is, and it's definitely the best slam I Am and Craig and the team just do an amazing job of just you know, basically improving the event from year to year and then just playing in front of family and friends and looking back on letters like this and just seeing how much tennis means to me, and then you know, twenty years later, I'm playing the Australian Opener. It's probably my fifteenth Australian Open and it's still the same feeling every time. So yeah, for me, it's just nothing really compares to just playing here at home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and definitely the fans. That's so much fun when everyone, almost everyone in the stands is supporting you. And yeah, I definitely feel like I connect with everyone and I always try and find a group of people that are there like supporting me, and I give that energy back. So yeah, I definitely, you know, I can't I almost can't wait. Like it's like December is when I I like have so much fun training because well, first of all, it's summer, we're in the sun finally Melbourne, So I think, yeah, I love pre season because like I have a goal and something to look forward to, and then playing you know, in front of home crowd and friends, it's always so much fun.
Speaker 2: That was absolutely incredible that you'd kept that letter to Australian Tennis magazine from Luke for twenty years. I loved his and Dash's reaction to when you actually handed that to them, like all those memories coming back that that was incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really fun. I've been waiting for an opportunity to share that. But I do think I'm bringing letters to the editor back for the magazine. We never know what future star is going to be writing to us. And yeah, so many nuggets in that interview as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah there were weren't there. There was the revelation that Dash is working with a new coach. She wants to do some coaching and mentoring. Luke talked about a potential coaching career He's interested in doing that. We covered a lot of ground with them in that chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could have talked to them forever, but Luke had another interview to get to Actually.
Speaker 2: Yes, Luke made his debut on the Aoshow Weekly this week and John and Brie and the team will be back with another episode next Thursday.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back with another episode of the sit Down next week. Please remember to subscribe rate and review. See you next week. Matt See of viv