Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Satasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that lets you be pervy about other people's money habits for educational purposes, of course. Welcome back to another one of our Money Diary's episodes where I get the absolute privilege of sitting down with one of our She's on the Money community members and asking them a million questions about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this. Hi Victoria and She's on the Money. I grew up Paul with the dad who could never hold down a job. I wasn't taught anything about money and went into debt as soon as I turned eighteen. Later, I was left with twenty thousand dollars worth of debt from my ex on top of my own. I buried my head in the sand until last year when I turned thirty and I decided to get my finances sorted. That's when I found she's on the money using zero based budgeting. I smashed my debt in two and a half years, and my now husband and I are saving for a house. Learning about money changed my life, and now I get to be the money teacher for my kids, kids that I never had money dirist, I'm so excited about this. I love that you're like, I've gone from literally being in debt and having an X that got mean even further debt to being literally like an icon for your kids teaching them about money. And ah, it's just so exciting that people can change their story totally.
Speaker 4: I get that was so exciting listening to you.
Speaker 5: To read that back yeah, because I mean, like me telling it, yeah, it's okay, but then having you read it back to me, I was like, WHOA, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, and I won't say I argue, but it's why I'm always like to people tell me about your money like grade, and then you go through their whole story and you're like, girlfriend, like, that does not feel right. Like it feels like you are probably being a little bit self critical. But aren't women always self critical of themselves? Totally we need to be better at that. All right, let's jump into it, because I can't wait to ask you a million questions, money durist, what grade would you give your money habits if I asked you to give them a grade from A through to F.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go with B B.
Speaker 1: All right, you tell me a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 5: Yes, So, growing up, my first money memory was I was probably about three, and I remember waking up on Christmas morning and opening these presents and it was this really amazing fairy wings and tiara.
Speaker 1: And a wand oh that's really sweet, it was.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't until a couple of years ago I actually found out that my mom had made those because we had no money because my dad couldn't keep down the job.
Speaker 6: And so this said, that's so wholesome, Oh it.
Speaker 4: Is, honestly, And I was just my mum's such a legend. I just think back in like she just made something out of nothing for us.
Speaker 1: You didn't even know the difference.
Speaker 5: I had no idea. I had no idea. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever. And growing up, so my mum was a stay at her mum from when she had me. I've got three younger siblings, and so money was always tight. And my dad is the kind of person that would walk into a job think that he could do.
Speaker 4: It better than the boss. It would then all blow up and then he would leave within six months.
Speaker 1: Oh good, that's a very positive attitude to have.
Speaker 4: So I'm positive.
Speaker 5: And so we were never taught financial literacy or anything like that, So I grew up with a huge scarcity mindset. So I was always under the assumption that whenever money came in, it would just leave. And so I got a job as soon as I turned fourteen. I got my first job and I started working, and every single dollar that I made I spent. I had no money and I could never work out why I had no money.
Speaker 1: But like you don't know what you don't know, right, Like if no one sat you down and said money dirist you actually need to put some of this aside. You'll be like, well, why would I do that. I've never had my own money and I deserve xyzet. Like we're so tuned into what historically we've been taught and like that's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is, right like, and I feel like we crucify ourselves so often, and like we're often like, oh my god, I was so dumb or I'm so silly and I have no money, like this must be a reflection of me personally, and it's like, well, no one's actually ever sat you down and been like, hey, money diarist, you need to do this with your money, and this is what cash flow looks like and this is why you should care about budgeting. But you did go to school and they taught you trigonometry, so that's been really positive.
Speaker 4: Totally, And I'm sure I still use that now.
Speaker 1: I cannot give an example right now of how I use that, and I literally work in finance, but okay either.
Speaker 5: And then yes, I had my first job at fourteen, spent on my money, and then I got to eighteen and I was approved for a credit card and.
Speaker 4: Worst obviously Hindsight's twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: But I wish that had never happened, because then I ended up in all this credit card debt because obviously no financial literacy plus a credit card does not eat more good time.
Speaker 1: I mean it did at the time, though I can almost guarantee that you had leg Let's be honest here, like we didn't get into debt, and it was a bad time getting into the debt. Often it's a fun ride.
Speaker 4: Oh it was great. It was great free money, right, yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: And I met my ex partner and he was really good with money, and he would save and.
Speaker 4: Save, and he taught me a couple of things.
Speaker 5: I'll give him that, But then he was quite emotionally abusive and verbally abusive, and so I just hit a point where I was like, I need to get out of this.
Speaker 4: Just about six months prior.
Speaker 5: To that, we had bought a new car and we did it in my name because at the time I worked for an insurance company and I got half price insurance if it was in my name. So we did that, and then when we broke up, it was just so much easier on my mental health if I just I'm going to sign the Regiro papers.
Speaker 4: Just take it. I don't even care anymore. I just need to get out, isn't it wild?
Speaker 1: Like I totally respect that, And so many people who haven't been in that situation might just be like, that's so silly, why would you do that? And you're just like, I don't think you understand the mental strain that I'm under and the fact that literally being in significant debt financially is much better, and I'm very happy with that completely.
Speaker 4: I just to give you some context.
Speaker 5: So I have always been maybe a size twelve to fourteen. In that relationship, I was under that much mental anxiety and anguish that I dropped down to a size eight.
Speaker 1: My goodness, but if that's not where your body sits naturally, like you would have looked sick. Yeah, you would have been not well.
Speaker 5: It was so awful, and the relief I felt even just signing those red Rock papers over, even though I was in a huge amount of.
Speaker 4: Debt, now it was so worth it. It was worth every dollar. And then we had a joint account which we split down the middle when we.
Speaker 5: Split up, And so then I booked a return ticket to the UK and I did a top deck tour over there and I lived my best life and it was great, but it actually put me into a little bit more debt, which I don't regret at all, because I had the absolute time of my life. And then I came back and I got together with my now husband. We'd worked together for a couple of years by that point, but I had changed offices, so we weren't working directly together. And then we found out quite soon after we got together that I was going to have my daughter. That's so exciting, it was, it was, and so I was still money mess. I had her a couple of years ago, and then I had my son during the big lockdown that Sydney had in COVID, and I was still a money mess at that point. And I remember thinking after I had him, staring at him in the hospital, thinking I just can't do this. I can't this tiny little face. I can't have them go through the same childhood that I had where we couldn't afford things and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: That's really sad, but also like so embowering, Like yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: So that was twenty twenty one, and so I like had sort of started thinking about it, and then last year I found the broke generations.
Speaker 4: I fent Emma and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's gorge isn't she.
Speaker 4: Oh she's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: And she's just so relatable, like you just go yes, queen.
Speaker 4: She's so relatable.
Speaker 5: And then through Emma, I actually found she's on the money and yourself. And then I binged from August last year up until maybe three ways ago.
Speaker 4: I binged the whole entire She's on the money.
Speaker 1: Oh, Like, I'm so proud of you, because that's like if I take a step back, that's like such an epic step towards like creating financial freedom. But my lord, that's like seven hundred episodes of my voice. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: Don't apologize.
Speaker 5: You absolutely changed my life. I listened to it one and a half speed. I will throw that out there.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I listened to all podcasts on two time speed like everyone in my head. Yap's real quick too.
Speaker 4: And then I read your book.
Speaker 5: Oh cool, Yeah, our local library had it as an ebook.
Speaker 4: So I smashed that down.
Speaker 5: And then I sat down and I created with help of some YouTube videos, I created a avalanche spreadsheet tracker to smash it on my debt, and so between i'd already started paying. I think I'd paid off about half of it by this point, but then I sat down in August, and between August and September, so beginning of August, at the end of September, I had paid off nearly all of it.
Speaker 4: I think I had maybe three thousand dollars left.
Speaker 5: And then I actually I came into some money unexpectedly in the beginning of October, and I paid off the rest of that debt.
Speaker 1: And so ah, but like even your money mindset, right, So, like you said, I came into some money unexpectedly. Like I'm just going to make some assumptions. We don't know each other well yet, but I'm assuming that historical you would have just spent that money, not paid off the debt. And the fact that you came into some unexpected money and was like, okay, cool, that's going to pay off my debt. Like that's such a mindset shift. Like and I don't think that when we start making decisions like that we get enough credit, because like that's not just like a you know, a fluffy mindset shift, Like that's a whole attitude shift and are like my values have changed shift, Like that is cool. Yeah, it was a complete one eighty and I remember thinking at the time when I made that final payment, I logged on a Saturday morning to see that it had been clear. I remember thinking, now, I I had just feels when she was talking about on the podcast when she paid off her deay and there was no celebration and it was so anticlimactic. Literally, someone in my DMS recently messaged me and they said, Hey, the I just want to say I've paid off all my debt and obviously, like everyone please message me when you do that, I get so excited. She's like, but I expected someone to jump out of like a copboard with a bottle of champagne, Like where was the champagne? Where were the balloons? Like it felt really anticlimactic, which is why I'm always like, God, friend, you have to celebrate yourself, Like, and I know that maybe you are trying to save and whatnot, but like, maybe do go out for dinner finally, or maybe do like treat yourself to something that you've really really wanted, because you need to kind of like celebrate the journey and celebrate the winds because like no one else is going to do that for you. Like, and I think that's what we've always expected historically, someone else is going to do it, someone else will clean it up, Like no, no, you were the one that has to have your own back, which also means celebrating you totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my celebration actually came not long after that, so we took a family holiday up to the Gold Coast with the kids for my birthday and yeah, so cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember walking through SeaWorld and we went into the Nickelodeon shop and I was standing in line and the lady in front of me got her phone up to pay and she paid with after pay at the counter, and I remember just having this It was like someone had thrown water in my face. I just had this realization like, oh my god, that was me not long ago, and I don't have to do that anymore. We have cash to spend on this holiday. We're not going into debt for it. And I just like I started tearing up. And I'm not a big crier, but I was like, oh my god, I did it.
Speaker 4: I did it.
Speaker 1: You did do it. That's making me like a little bit, I don't know, like I hate the fact that we can't just scoop people up like I'm such a and maybe that's me with my like really frustrating like savior complex, like I just want to scoop people up and be like, hey, I saw you using after pain and I was just wondering, like is there anything I can do? And like that's inappropriate, Like don't do that. You know, in that moment, you were probably like holy moly, like I have changed everything about me, Like I'm not who I used to be, and like my kids aren't going to grow up with the same experiences. Like don't get me wrong, when you were explaining that your mom had made you fairy wings and that you didn't know the difference, like that is the sweetest thing ever, Like, don't get me wrong. Some of my favorite memories as a child are the things that my mum made me or did for me. And that's something that now as an adult and a mom, I have been trying to give those experiences to Harvey, Like I want to make his Santa Sack and I want to do all of those things because I think that those are like those core, wholesome memories that just show how much you're loved, right, Like at the end of the day, you in that moment wasn't about the fairy wings. You just felt so seen by your mom. She got you a gift that she knew that baby money Darist was going to be so excited about, and you just felt so loved, And like, I think that that's I'm just so glad that even though you grew up with those experiences where you didn't feel like your dad was teaching you a lot about money and like you know, he couldn't hold down a job and alls, that you still had that love along the way. And I think that that's so beautiful because I think so many moms and parents listen to this podcast and like, oh my god, like I just don't have enough to give my kids what they want. And ultimately it's actually not about the stuff. It's about the feeling, Like how do you give them that feeling? And yet it might take some more time, don't get me wrong, but like you can still give them most beautiful core memories without spending hundreds of dollars.
Speaker 4: Totally agree.
Speaker 5: I completely agree, And I look at them now and because my husband and I work full time, so we are away from them quite a bit, so they go to daycare before and after school. Kit and I know, like seeing their faces when they get a new toy versus seeing their faces when we sit down and play with them and actually spend time with them. It's just absolutely priceless. And I know a lot of people say that, but it really is. Like the time you give them is so incomparable to like buying them things.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, Oh, I love this. I love this so much. It sounds like you've changed your entire story. Now tell me a bit more. You said, my husband and I work full time. What do you do for work? And how much money do you want?
Speaker 4: So I'm a revenue operations specialist.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: So I work under our sails manager, and so I do all.
Speaker 4: Of the forecasting and contracts and numbers for her.
Speaker 5: So I work with numbers, not directly in the finance space, but I pulled together costing and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: That's very cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I absolutely love it.
Speaker 5: But the more that I've gone into this personal finance journey, I've thought maybe I should have gotten into finance instead, because I am obsessed with spreadsheets.
Speaker 4: I've learned in the last six months.
Speaker 1: I love spreadsheet me too.
Speaker 5: You'll approciate this from Valentine's Day, I got my husband a card and had an Excel spreadsheet on the front that said freak in the Sheets, because he's.
Speaker 4: Obsessed with them too.
Speaker 1: I love that. I actually have a coffee mug that says freaking the ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I give it to my dad when he's over for coffee and tea, and I just think it's funny, so funny.
Speaker 5: And I earn one hundred and twenty five thousand a year plus sooper, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, that's such a good income. And you're like a baby, not a baby, but like you're in your early thirties, right, yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you something else that makes me extra proud of that?
Speaker 1: Please do?
Speaker 4: I never went to UNI.
Speaker 5: I've worked my way up and I got a Diploma of Business last year while juggling full time work, my husband and my two kids.
Speaker 1: No you didn't, I did.
Speaker 4: I did it.
Speaker 5: Honestly seeing that number on my paycheck everyport and I'm like, hell, yeah I did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did, queen, Like that is so much money, Like that is life changing. And don't get me wrong, lots of people are going to listen to this and be like, no, it's not all people are going to be like, oh my god, that's like double what I earn, and like we're all in different spaces and on different journeys. And I think that's one of my favorite things about money diaries is that we can just share this and be like, oh, this is what I'm doing, because like, I hope that someone listens to this and goes, oh my god, what do you mean she didn't go to UNI? What do you mean? So tell me how did you get into that role? Obviously you worked your way up, but like you said, you did a diploma, Like did you have to get the diploma to now earn this amount or like what was that journey looking like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I worked for a car rental company when I was early twenties. I got made Redana from them. I then moved to the insurance company and I worked for them. I was actually being underpaid, I found out at the car rental company. Rude, yeah, yeah, I was on forty five K and I was managing two people.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, that's not management rates.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't, And it was absolute insanity. And then I moved over to the insurance company and I started as a team assistant and they almost doubled my salary again.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that would have been so exciting. You would have been like, I don't know what to do with myself, and was less.
Speaker 4: Work and more money issues. That's always a.
Speaker 1: Good combine, honestly, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then I was there for my seven years. My salary didn't go up much when I was there, but that was fine. I worked with really good people, had some really good managers, so it's completely fine.
Speaker 4: I then got made redundant from there. So before thirty i'd been redundant twice.
Speaker 1: Oh did you get a good payout?
Speaker 4: I did for that one.
Speaker 5: I did because almost seven years it was and because it was under the tax thresholder actually didn't pay a tax at any of that redundancy pay so that was straight in my pocket, which was amazing. And then I just madly scrambled. I got maybe done in at thirty weeks pregnant.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that would have been so stressful. Was that with your daughter or your son?
Speaker 4: My son?
Speaker 5: So that was during the COVID lockdown. I remember my manager crying as she had the conversation with me. She's like, I'm so sorry. I'm like, yeah, nothing to be so bad. It's fine, I know how this goes. I've done this before.
Speaker 1: It's really find that would have stressed me out. And I mean you shared earlier that when you had had your baby, you were in the hospital like looking down at him and just feeling like you can't do this, So you're already in a financial pickle, like and I know that. It's it's funny because like, obviously your manager has to deliver that news, but it was probably not their decision, like they would have just had to deliver.
Speaker 4: It to you.
Speaker 1: But you just go, this sucks, like this is the worst, and like, what are you going to do? Start a new job at thirty weeks pregnant? What did you do?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, it was a departmental wide thing, so there was a few of them.
Speaker 4: My husband and I were in the same department.
Speaker 5: But because he so he's quite a bit older than me, he had been there for a really long time, so they kept him because it would have cost them too much to get rid of so they kept him, which was it actually worked out really well for us because there was that constant of his income coming in which we really needed.
Speaker 4: So that was fine.
Speaker 5: So they what had happened was their redundancy process is a really long time.
Speaker 4: It's like thirteen weeks in total.
Speaker 5: It's enormous, and so they paused it while they went to maternity leave, and so I went on maternity leave and then I wasn't due to return. So that was in the September August September. I wasn't due to return until Dune the following year, but they had taken the redundancy of someone else because one of the guys had quit, and so they took the redundancy of someone else and said, you can do this job. And I was due to come back at the same time. Someone who was doing a similar job to me when on maternity and so I said to my husband, I'm going to have to go back early because I'm terrified they're going to take this redundancy off me.
Speaker 4: And because I had already worked out how much we were getting in. It was quite Oh, it was life changing. The sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've probably done your budget and worked it out and been like okay, cool, Like I have two kids and like my husband's inconsistent work, Like you get so comfortable with an idea and like obviously you would have worked it out again, but like, oh my goodness, like the stress, yeah, completely.
Speaker 5: And so I ended up going back when he was four months old, which.
Speaker 4: Was never my plan.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 4: Oh, it was stressful.
Speaker 5: So I interviewed and interviewed and interviewed, and I got the job that i'man now, which has changed since I got it. But I then had to go back to full time work and it was three days in the office. So going from being at home during COVID every single day to then the kids, both kids being in daycare full time, it was a huge adjustment, but I did it, and so my roles changed a couple of times. So I entered into this company as a a team assistant and then our sales managers slowly gradually started giving me more of the sales stuff to do all the behind the scenes sales stuff, and so she's been training me up.
Speaker 4: And then so I.
Speaker 5: Had signed up the year before us to do the diploma when the government had started doing the free courses trying to get more people to do diplomas and certificates. Master yeah, and so I was like, I'll do a set for and then I was like, no, what stuff? And I'm just going to go the whole hole and do the diploma, go hard to go home, because I was thinking that a lot, because I had no tertiary qualifications either, So I thought a diploma at my age will look a lot better than doing a surf for well, that was how it was in my head anyway.
Speaker 1: It's funny how we think these things, right, Like it's so funny how we like do our justifications and like, yeah, like obviously, like there's probably some weight to it, like don't get me wrong, like one is technically more educated than the other, but like you're in this role already and you probably would have got it with or without, And I don't know, it just makes you feel like you've got a little bit more weight if you wanted to move around or do something later in your career.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, exactly right. And so I started here early twenty twenty two, and then I was on one hundred K almost from the get go, and so I did the diploma. Just before I was finishing, I sat down with my work best here was also the finance team, and she's such an advocate for herself and everyone else else. She's like, you need to go in there and ask her at pay rat.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love her already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's so great.
Speaker 5: And so I was like, oh god, I can't do that, and she's like, yes, you can.
Speaker 4: And so before I'd even had a chance, to my manager of Porbia side and she's like, can we have a quick chat? And I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: God, oh no, anyone who says that illegal? Can we have a quick chat?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Am I losing my job?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I'm always like, am I in trouble? She was like no, dot know. And somebody walked in.
Speaker 5: She sat down and she's like, so I want to do a little bit of a performance review because we're giving.
Speaker 4: Your caras and I was like, oh, amazing.
Speaker 5: And she's like, we're going to give you twenty five thousand dollars extra and I'm like, sorry, what, Yeah, it gets better.
Speaker 4: It gets better.
Speaker 5: He also then said and also, I'm going to give you some kpies and if you can hit them in the next twelve months, we're going to give you another twenty five the hours to fill with kries.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, oh my god, I don't even know what to say right now.
Speaker 1: My Jewey is on the floor. So are you going to go out to one fifty soon if you hit your KPIs June.
Speaker 4: Should be June.
Speaker 1: Oh you are iconic. So obviously there's some good cash coming in. And can I make an assumption that your husband earns something similar at the moment he.
Speaker 5: Does, I'm going to earn him when I get the pay rise.
Speaker 4: On coen behavior.
Speaker 5: I actually said to him when I told him what happened, I'm like, does that bother you?
Speaker 4: And he's like, hell no. He's like, if that means I can retire early, go for it.
Speaker 1: But also, what the hell if any man is intimidated by what a woman earns? Like just walk? Just walk like one out of ten.
Speaker 5: Totally, That's what I was kind of like, this could go one of two ways this question.
Speaker 1: You've got to test the waters because I never thought this would be a reality totally. Oh my goodness. So what are your money goals? What are you currently working towards? You obviously had the big money goal of getting out of debt and you smashed that out. So what do the big money goals now look like?
Speaker 5: So have straight I wrote them down? So the first one is we are going to buy a house? Is she I actually reached out to Zella last month and we've got oh my.
Speaker 1: God, good idea.
Speaker 5: We've got our first meeting with Solicity the week after next, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Flick is gorgeous. You're gonna love her. She's new to their team, but I've gotten her because she's come back as a broker after Matt Leaf. Oh she's a mum. I think you two will get on. I think you too will get on. And she's just you know those people that like just get it like she just gets it, like she pulls it all together so quickly. I'm so excited. Anyway, I won't keep talking about Flick because I know that she'll probably listen to this.
Speaker 5: And we're actually doing the big move. So we're moving from Sydney up to the Blue Mountains.
Speaker 1: A little bit of a tree change, yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: And my husband and I are on really good salaries, but because we haven't bought before, it is so hard to get into the market in city, even on the salaries on and people like I said that to someone before and like, but you earn so much money, and I'm like, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: We would only just be able to service alone.
Speaker 5: And that would be cutting everything back to basics, So no extras for the kids, no swimming lessons.
Speaker 4: I yeah, it's not possible.
Speaker 5: So we're going to move to the Blue Mountains because we love it up there. We go for quite a few like day trips up there, we spend a lot of time up there, and it's where we feel home when we get up there, and so we're super excited.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that feeling.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: And also, I just don't think people understand how genuinely hard it is to get into your first home. Like and obviously, like not everyone's going to go on a property investing journey, but like the first property is the hardest to get into because you not only need like a complete deposit, but like it's the first time that you're going to experience mortgage stress. It's the first time that you're going through this entire process, and you forget how many additional extras there are going to be, like paying for a conveyancer, paying for building and pest, Like what's stamp duty going to look like? As first home buyers, Yes, you could probably get a waiver on that if you buy under a certain amount, but you've got two kids and a husband, and I'm assuming you don't want to buy something that's relatively cheap because that's not going to get you the location you want. So we're talking about stamp duty, like there's just so many different things involved that then often become overwhelming, and you're just like, I'm never going to get in. But I'm excited for you to sit down with Flick because you can take you through everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited too, And speaking of the house things, So it took me a really long time to get to the point of being okay with buying house because my husband.
Speaker 4: And I grew up quite differently.
Speaker 5: His family quite well off, so he always had everything he needed UNTI a really good school, and so he's never bought either. So it's really it was similar to what you were saying with you and your husband. It was never a goal of mine, but it's a goal of his. And so I was like, I'm not sure. I don't think we can do this. When we're talking about living in Sydney, I just kept saying to him, we're not going to be able to service. We literally like I worked in numbers and like you don't.
Speaker 1: Want that stress. And don't get me wrong, Historically that's been so like right of passage, but now it's like that quote rite of passage actually becomes an entire burden and I'd actually prefer to rent. Like I remember when I didn't think it would be a reality for me, and I was trying to like way up what that would look like. I was like, that just feels like too much, Like I don't actually want to do that. And I think that at the very start of my you know, I got out of debt and then I started investing in the share market because that was accessible for me. I was like, this feels good, Like I didn't want to take that step because it just felt like too much. And it would have been had I stayed on the same salary, if we're being honest, like it just wouldn't have worked out. And that's okay, but I think we need to talk about that more.
Speaker 4: Hey, totally, totally.
Speaker 5: And so I'm actually reading your property book at the moment.
Speaker 1: I hope that's a good book, great author, it's right.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 5: I'm about halfway through, and there's so many things in there that I just didn't even like process or no that was part of the process, and I was like, oh gosh, okay, but it's good to know. I'm one of those people that likes to have all of the facts upfront. I like to know everything about everything that I'm going into.
Speaker 1: That's what I wrote that book for. Like, literally, here is everything here, all of the things that you need to look at. Here's a checklist of what I want you to take to your first home inspection. Like it's literally the book that if I could hold your hand through the entire process, I would. And lots of people, and like even lots of my clients, they like post it note different sections to come back to, or like they take the actual book to their house inspections because it's got the lists and stuff in it, which can be really helpful.
Speaker 4: Yes, totally. And then my second one is we are going on.
Speaker 5: A big holiday to the USA in twenty thirty one. My husband's turning fifty and my auntie's turning seventy and one of my cousins is turning forty.
Speaker 4: So we're doing a big fairly holiday.
Speaker 1: Over the Oh my goodness, Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: We're going to go on.
Speaker 5: So my husband's dream has always been to go skiing in Colorado, when he turns.
Speaker 4: And so we're going.
Speaker 5: To go over just after Christmas of twenty thirty and go skiing and then go and meet my family in Florida and we're all doing a big Disney cruise together, at a big Disney trip.
Speaker 1: That will be so fun. Ms Ters Gorici would be so jealous.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, how old will your kids be?
Speaker 5: Well, my daughter's going to be turning twelve like two weeks later and starting high school, and my son will be ten, not none younger.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an age where they're not going to forget it either. Like if you took them when they were so young, they'd be like, oh maybe I remember it if you show me pictures. But like those ages, they're going to remember it and they get.
Speaker 5: To go with other cousins and everything. I'm so excited. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I know it's far away that like that is so fun. And to be honest, you're going to go into that holiday because I can see your mindset and how you're planning for it already. You're going into that holiday and you're not going to have any financial stress. I'm assuming the whole thing's going to be completely paid off by the time you get to that holiday. Yeah, my husband and I sat down into the numbers and worked at how much we need to save each fortnite, so we put that away. And then my third goal is so I have started investing, like I invested on and off with Chaseys, and then I panicked and sold them all and then as you do when you don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 5: And then I actually, when I got all my finances in order last year, I started with fifty dollars a fortnight, and then I worked my numbers again and changed it to one hundred and fifty. And then by taking money off the money that I allow myself to spend on discussionary stuff each fortnite, I took the money from there and pulled it into my investing one. And then I also did that again recently to so I'm doing two hundred a fortnite.
Speaker 1: Who are you? Four hundred bucks a month? You found four hundred dollars a month to invest? Excuse me?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 1: I'm going to go back to previous goo and tap you on the shoulder and be like, hey, I know you just took on your shitty ex boyfriend's twenty thousand dollar alone. But let me just give you a peek into the future, because it's looking sick.
Speaker 5: It is, And I have already said to my husband at once that pay rise come through and we've put away for the mortgage and everything like that, I'm going to put all that extra money into investing because the way the world is right now, I'm a bit nervous about how everything's going.
Speaker 1: So look at you. You are going to be so financially secure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The most important thing for me with that is to be able to pass on a legacy to my kids and their kids if they decide to have kids one day. And just creating that generational wealth that we have had.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you deserve it and so much more. I am so obsessed, like I adore that you get to do. It makes me a little bit teary when people are literally changing their entire lives. All right, I have a lot of questions. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we'll jump straight back in. All right, money diarist, we are back. And before you told me that you've managed to find four hundred bucks a month to invest which is so cool and so impactful. And you're getting a pay rise soon, so more money is going to go into that, which is very exciting. What are you investing in, though, So tell me a little bit more about the investments that you have.
Speaker 4: Okay, I wrote all this town. So I have a little bit in crypto that.
Speaker 5: Was more of an Instagram ad popped up, and it was for one of the platforms that it was like, if you invest, we'll give you thirty dollars a bitcoin.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I'll put thirty bucks in.
Speaker 5: So currently that's sitting at forty five dollars seventeen because it's just absolutely gone down and I'm so glad that I don't have any.
Speaker 4: More in that.
Speaker 1: I wish I was as impactful as Instagram ads could be. But in how Instagram ads like they just get you sometime, and TikTok ads they get me. There's stuff that I have purchased from a TikTok ad. I'm like, hold on, how do I harness this sense of urgency and then get people to get out of debt? It just doesn't work the same, does it.
Speaker 4: No? I wish it did. I really wish it did.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep trying though.
Speaker 5: And then I've also got so at the moment, I've got one thousand and eighty dollars in shares, and so that's made up of I've got three ets to rate, so the real estate Investment Trust, one direct share, and then my super sitting at in this, I'm really proud of almost one hundred and twenty five k.
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 4: What? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How what is that? Because you worked from birth or like, what's going on there?
Speaker 5: No, So the insurance company actually paid above ward super, so they paid when it was sitting at the nine percent, they were paying thirteen.
Speaker 6: So for all those years, that is so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even though my salary was average, because they were paying that above awards super, it's huge.
Speaker 4: Like my husband's super. I'm not going to say what it is because it doesn't want me to, but.
Speaker 5: My husband's one because they've been paying that for so long is enormous as well.
Speaker 4: So even if we didn't have.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys, I'm so excited for you. That's literally the bloody best.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So we set up for retirement.
Speaker 5: We did one of those forecasters and it's just to see that number, it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just go actually, life's going to work out for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But isn't it funny because like when you're younger, I think you just assume these things happen. And I was doing a talk the other day, like one of these International Women's Day talk presentation things that I do, and I was like, I used to just think that things would just work out, like things would just happen and fall into place. Like when I was eighteen and I'd started full time work and I looked at all these thirty year olds, I thought that they had their stuff together. Like I would look at them and be like, oh my goodness, like they've just had their first baby, or they're just doing it, like they must have their shit together. And then the more you learn about people, the more you realize actually doesn't work out for you. It works out because you worked for it, and it works out because you made a plan, and most people don't actually have a plan, and most people are actually not in a good position, even though they look like they are. And the more that you learn, the more that you're like, oh, actually I need to do this for me so that I can say life worked out for me. But it's because I did the work, and I think so many times we just hope that the work doesn't have to be done. But when you start doing the work like you have, you feel like a different human being totally.
Speaker 5: I don't have that anxiety inducing waking up in the middle of the night, go oh my god, how am I going.
Speaker 4: To pay this off?
Speaker 1: It's life changing, isn't it. It's so cool. So talk to me about debt. I'm assuming you don't have any debt, but you're planning to go into debt when you purchase a property.
Speaker 4: Correct, So I have no debt.
Speaker 1: That's so sexy. It should there should be like a sound effect which is like balloons popping and champagne and people cheering.
Speaker 4: Yes, in my head that happens when I say that. So I've got that there.
Speaker 5: But yeah, So we're looking to take on a mortgage, and so our mortgage will be between.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred and nine hundred and fifty depending on what we end up with.
Speaker 5: I don't want to spend any more than about nine hundred, which is doable where we're going to move to. Because with that, I've done a couple of the online calculators and the average of that we will be able to comfortably live and the kids are still be able to do the extracurriculars and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, gorgeous. It's so important to remember that, and it feels like you've got your heads growed on because sometimes you'll go and just go, what can we borrow? Like what can we borrow up to? And then you see that as like a spend limit. And don't get me wrong, some people do that and it works out for them. But it's so important to go, actually, what's going to give me the best work life balance? Because actually the mortgage I'm signing up for is for thirty years, and like I know that. It sometimes feels like, oh, for the next year, we'll just you know, cut back on the kids swimming lessons, but like that's going to happen for their entire school career. So what does.
Speaker 4: That look like?
Speaker 1: Are you happy with that? How do we work with a number that gives you work life or work mortgage balance or life mortgage balance or whatever we want to call it. The places around where we are now, like we ideally we'd love to stay there, but they're like one point four upwards. And I just said to my husband, we literally cannot afford that.
Speaker 4: And I refuse.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I know we're going to buy a house, but I put my foot down at that. I'm not giving up what we have now just to be able to get into a house.
Speaker 4: It's their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking at your income and knowing that your husband's semi on the same link, you could be approved for up to that depending on the deposit that you have, But that doesn't mean And it's funny, right you said we cannot afford that, but the reality is technically you could, but we will not be affording that is a different story, and that's such an empowering position to be in. It's like no, no, no, Like it's not because we don't have the cash. It's because I'm not willing to sacrifice my values, and like the power in that is so cool.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 5: I have to stop myself as well, because I'm still in that habit of saying I can't afford that, and I catch myself saying that to the kids and I'm like, oh, I have to really reel myself in and go we can afford it. And we're teaching that. So we've been teaching our daughter about money as well. And I'm taking full credit for this because my husband just went along for the ride.
Speaker 4: I saw a TikTok.
Speaker 1: He's in the backseat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is. He just agrees with it. He's just that you go for it.
Speaker 5: So it's similar to what the barefoot investor does. But she gets four jars and one of them is a spender, one's a savior, one's an investor, then one's a gift ja. And so she gets twelve dollars pocket money a week.
Speaker 4: We do two dollars based on how old she is per year. But she's been alive.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I love that when I was little, and obviously times have changed. Mine was fifty cents per year. Now that inflation's pretty good. I'm not going to lie so good.
Speaker 5: So we've told her our only rule with that is she has to split it evenly across the four jars, and so she has three dollars in each jar. If she hasn't touched her savee jar that week, she gets fifty cents in interest.
Speaker 4: Trying to teach her about interest.
Speaker 5: Working obsessed. Yeah, And so her investor and her give jar. We let her decide what amount she wants to bank that at. So last time she decided thirty and so she takes her jars down to the bank and takes them to the teller and puts them in there. She counts the money out and she deposits it, and then we come home and she jumps on my computer and.
Speaker 4: She does the transfers herself.
Speaker 5: But she with the give jar. We said to her, you have to donate this money. You get to choose who you want to donate it too. So the first time she did it, she donated to the Sydneyturechildren's Hospital.
Speaker 4: And then she ended up spending a night at the.
Speaker 5: Children's hospital over Christmas, and so my husband stayed with her and told them about it. So they gave her this toy. And then the Starlight Foundation came around and played with her and.
Speaker 4: Kept her calm.
Speaker 5: And so this time when she thanked it, she did a donation to the Starlight Foundation.
Speaker 6: And so she but she's learning so much through that, she is, and she was.
Speaker 5: Able to see that because she had donated that money, like that's what they do with their money.
Speaker 4: They go to the hospitals and stuff, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just no, no, that's just who whole So you're going to make me cry. And you did that for her.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 5: I did, and so even her saved her. So she'd been saving. She's obsessed with Gabby's dollhouse. And so we're at my mum's the other week and she's like, Mom, I really really want to get the dollhouse. I've been saving all my money. And I said, okay, call dad. Check with dad. It's fine with me if it's fine with dad. And so she gets my husband on the phone and she's like, Daddy, please, I've been saying all my money, I've got this much saved, I'm going to have this much and left.
Speaker 4: If I spend it, it's not all my money.
Speaker 5: And he was like, to know what, dlse you do that all your money, you go and do that, And so we went to the shops. She took her money and then it ended up being almost half the grass anyway.
Speaker 4: So she's like, mom, it was a money win.
Speaker 1: She's like, I spent.
Speaker 4: Less money, and I'm like, that is what we call a mommy win. Babe.
Speaker 1: Yes, Queen, I adore that so much, And like, I love how you're teaching your kids about money. Adore adore this. You are literally the mummy and the parent that you didn't have.
Speaker 4: I was who I needed at her age.
Speaker 5: I get to be that person and it's like, think, she's so similar to me in personality. So it's what I imagine it would have been like had I had been afforded that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Kind of like you're feeding your inner child at the same time. Yeah, totally exactly, And I've hated I feel like I've almost completely haled my inn a child for me able to do this stuff for my kids, and so it's just I.
Speaker 5: Feel like I've just got this bubble of joy inside. Over time I think about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm obsessed. So obviously that is a fantast stick money habit. What do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 4: So I have three. I don't think about straight. I've got three.
Speaker 5: My first one is I created a budget and cash slow spreadsheet that has so many tabs to it. So I've created a forward thought and created a mortgage tracker. I've got my credit card tracker. We now I do have a credit card, but it doesn't have any debt, so I use it like a debit card for the points because we often go to visit family up north of New South Wales and.
Speaker 4: That's so we're using the points for that.
Speaker 5: And so I've got my credit card tracker to track on my expenses. I've got all my sinking fun tracking, I've got everyday accounts.
Speaker 1: Who are you? I love this? You don't even need those, she's on the money one. I'll gift it to you so you can have a play with it and you can see how it all works. And there's a whole heap of like videos on like money, mindset and stuff, which I think that you'll really enjoy. But I'll give that to you. But it sounds like you don't even need it, but like I hope that you like it.
Speaker 4: Still, I'm sure I will love it. Thank you so much so.
Speaker 5: And I actually am at the point now where i've my brother and his girlfriend just moved out a week or so ago, and I sat down and did a budget with them for their expenses to work out what they've got coming in and that, Oh.
Speaker 4: How fun.
Speaker 1: You're becoming me like anyone who wants to sit down with me in my personal life. And I'll do your budget like say less, bab say less. I'll even pay for brunch if you let me.
Speaker 5: Do that my mum, Like I said, she's such a legend, but she has had no financial literacy. So I'm slowly sitting down with her and teaching her stuff.
Speaker 1: Like being like, okay, mom, let's do this together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I looked over her super and I got her super changed, and I've split up her bank accounts as well now so she's not spending and becoming at the same one.
Speaker 1: And isn't it cool? Like and you're the perfect example of this of when we can teach one woman about financial literacy what she does for the rest of her community. Like, because you've learned about it, your kids have financial literacy, because you've done it, Your mom is going to have better financial literacy. She's probably going to tell her friends about things like, oh my daughter changed my super and then her friends are maybe going to change and look at their super because oh, well, you know money do I storted it. I didn't even realize they needed to look. Like we are having such a ripple effect and it makes me so happy to know that, Like, from these little things that I do, then they're bigger things, and then they're massive things for you, and one day people are going to retire comfortably and hopefully they maybe invite me over for a cup of tea or something.
Speaker 4: Completely.
Speaker 5: I totally totally gre My second good habit is shot back.
Speaker 4: I use shot back and top cash back.
Speaker 5: Now I have the browser extensions and go for which everyone's got the most cash back, but.
Speaker 4: My shot back lifetime earnings.
Speaker 5: I've been on shot back for I think four years now, four six hundred and fifty seven dollars.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, And that's like literally just free cash totally is it sitting there if you pulled it out?
Speaker 4: I pulled it.
Speaker 5: I pulled it out every time I can, and so I've been putting it into my agency fund when I pull it out, straight into the emergency fund. And then I actually because Beck had mentioned the games that you can get paid for the games, I have made like fifty bucks from playing the games in there too.
Speaker 4: Oh. I love that.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know they existed until Beck was like, did you know you can play games on shotbag And I'm like, sorry, what?
Speaker 4: And it was such a good break too. I was like, oh, and.
Speaker 1: I mean I like playing games and doing mindless things on my phone while I watched maths say less. I just got paid to watch maths exactly.
Speaker 5: And then my third one is I never paid full plus for anything I refuse.
Speaker 4: I just think everything's always on sale at some point, I will get it when it's on sale.
Speaker 1: I love that. So do you have any bad money habits?
Speaker 5: So twelve months ago, it definitely would have been impulse spending. I was horrific for impulse spending because I've done a lot of work on myself.
Speaker 4: Now it's not I've actually gone the opposite direction.
Speaker 5: So my bad, my worst money have it now is feeling guilty every time I spend money on myself. I can spend money on other people like my kids or my husband, I'm more than happy to spend money on them, But spending money on myself, I just it takes a lot to talk me into it. And my husband's always like, just do it, like you've come so far, just spend the money, and I'm like, I just I'm steal in that. I guess scarcity mindset.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to work my way.
Speaker 1: Out of that and that sometimes it takes a bit, but that's okay, and I'm glad you're aware of it, because that can be like the hardest part right, So talk to me. Now that we've had a full conversation and I have a daughter, I feel like I'm obsessed with you, Like from the moment that, like I read your diary, I was like, oh, this is going to be good, and then it just got better from fairy Wings to how you are teaching your kids about money to like you know, you planning a big holiday in twenty thirty one, You're going to go on a Disney cruise, like you are like living the life that you never thought you could because like you literally left a relationship with twenty thousand dollars worth of debt that wasn't even yours, Like that is not who that woman thought she was going to become, Like I'm so proud, But what about that? Is a be? Like what would it take money dirist to get from a B to like an A? Like what do we have to change? Because like your super's doing well, you're on the journey to buy your first home, You're investing, you're about to get a pay rise, like you're teaching your kids about money, Like where can we fix things? Like why is there a whole grade that you're not feeling like you're meeting Okay.
Speaker 5: I'm going to change my grade after you've just ad to go for an A minus to get to an A class. I think it'll just be trying to sort out the investing side of stuff, Like I know that I'm on track to with my investments, but I need to do more research and learn more in that space and not just But that's a journey in itself totally. And I think once we get into the house, that's when.
Speaker 1: You'll feel secure.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I feel like that's my personally last big hurdle.
Speaker 5: I think once we get into the house and like I can actually in my brain be like, oh my god, Okay, we actually got into the house. Like I know, we've got journey use a mortgage repayments sort but like, yeah, we we're in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I adore that. I love that so much, Money, Dirice, this has been beautiful. I have so loved getting to know you and sharing everything. Like, I'm so excited that you're going to have a meeting with Felicity. It's Ella Money soon. You're going to love her. She is She's a pocket rocket. Like there's a lot that you two will get along over. I am so excited to be on this journey, please let me know. I'm actually just gonna ask Click. I'm going to be like, hey, can you keep me in the loop about this mortgage so that I know when they buy their first home. I'm just so excited to you and the journey that you're on and everything that you've been through. And I just know that the community has gotten a lot out of this as well. So thank you so much for sharing with us. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me and letting me share my story.
Speaker 1: Of course, anytime did By shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine