Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Satasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that helps you turn your spare time into spare cash without losing your sanity.
Speaker 2: No, that sounds possible.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're about to find out.
Speaker 4: We're about to find out. Maybe you're feeling the pinch after a holiday season that left your bank account in recovery mode. Or maybe you've set a big goal this year to finally build the emergency fund, pay off some debt, or say for that dream holiday. Whatever your reason you've probably wondered is a side hustle. The answer the only answer. Well, you're in luck because today we're diving into exactly how to find your perfect side hustle. I'm beckside and with me is the author of the Business Bible, who knows a thing or two about making your passions pay off? Viccory Devine.
Speaker 5: Wow, Wow? Who is that the author of the business Bible?
Speaker 4: She's not here yet?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no? Do you think I should change? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I don't want to upset her. She sounds like a big dog. She's a big dog to pell necklace. I get asked all the time, Beck, what is the best side hustle? Like, should I have a side hustle? What's the best side hustle? How do I make extra money on the side? And my answer is always the same. It depends, it depends. It's good, worst, and no, it's the worst answer because that's not what you want to hear.
Speaker 2: But the truth is.
Speaker 5: There is no one size fits or response when it comes to a side hustle. It's not just about making extra cash. It's actually about something that fits you and your life and your schedule and your energy. And that's exactly what you and I are going to unpack today. So let's figure out how to discover the side hustle that's right for you. Maybe that's the episode title.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's a shame that we even need a side hustle. But unfortunately Cozy Lives, some people are kind of needing out of the moment. So V first I want to ask you why should we even think about starting a side hustle? Like life is busy, busy, busy.
Speaker 2: Enough it is, but like, do you like money?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I like money.
Speaker 2: Do you want more money?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I want more money?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that might be why you're thinking about a side hustle, yeah, because it makes sense. A side hustle is different to a hobby. A hobby is something that you're doing just because it's fun and like, you know, you might sell your stuff, but like you're not doing it because you're making money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, side hustle, the intention.
Speaker 5: Is to make some cold, hard cash witch, Like we want some cash money, and now more than ever, it is important to look at the bigger picture. You said before Cozy Lives, I didn't realize we were still using that acronym. I thought we left it in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four, But here we are. It's not about just.
Speaker 5: Tightening our belts and cutting costs, Like how many times can you be told review.
Speaker 6: Your subscriptions, babe, negotiate a pay rise, cut back on your groceries, do a meat free Monday, beck, that'll save you some money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, totally, Like I'm done with that. At the end of the day, we need to start asking how do I generate some more income to support my life. A side hustle isn't just I guess a bonus anymore. For a lot of us, it's actually becoming a very essential part of staying ahead, reaching our goals and creating a lifestyle that we do because our incomes for some of us are not enough. And I won't say that's okay because it's to me not okay, But like, that's okay because we can talk about side hustles and find a way to generate that extra income. Because when my friend there is a will, there is a way.
Speaker 2: You're so motivating, you know, thanks.
Speaker 5: Yes, because I don't have any of it myself, so I have to draw it upleck this whatever works.
Speaker 4: There are so many side hustle options out there, which is actually very good because it kind of like doesn't matter what you're into, you'll find something. So how do we like know where to start?
Speaker 5: So I would I'm not going to surprise anybody here because like honestly, with every single one of my podcasts, it's not about reinventing the wheel. I wish I could say, actually, Beck, I've discovered this entire concept called side hustles. I invented it, and I am the genius behind side hustles.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, this isn't surprising.
Speaker 5: But the best place to start is by getting clear on your goals and like what you want from your side hustle and what is your why? So you want to start by asking you self, like why do I want a side hustle to begin with? Like do I want one hundred dollars a month? Because like one hundred dollars a month is a lot easier to drum up than a couple of grand you know, like you could We'll get into brainstorming side hustles in a minute. I won't get ahead of myself, But like, what do I want to achieve? Like am I exploring a passion and getting paid? Am I, you know, trying to build a skill or even start a side hustle so that I can build a skill, so I can have a business so I never have to work full time.
Speaker 2: How much money do you want to make?
Speaker 5: Like, as I said before, making one hundred dollars a month is a lot easier than making one thousand dollars a month. But instead of saying, oh, I just want to earn more money, we need to be a little bit more specific, like you mentioned before, like, oh, you could maybe have a holiday. And some people in our community literally have side hustles so they can afford holidays, and that is incredible, But what's that holiday going to cost? We're talking like a year in Europe? Or are we talking like a five thousand dollars family holiday? And that's our financial goal? I also want to know is it short term side hustle? Like are we just doing some hustle to get out of debt and hit a financial goal? And like you're just going to take every free hour that you have and you're going to do uber eats and you're going to do door dash, and you're going to do everything in your power to make every single hour that you have free income generating. Because you're just like I'm getting out of debt and that is the goal, or are you wanting to do something more specific, are you setting up a side hustle that one day will replace your nine to five.
Speaker 4: It's a really good point because those.
Speaker 5: Two are different, and I mean you're not going to start Uber driving and door dash driving if the plan is to then replace your full time job with your side hustle, because it's like, well that one, yeah, you're getting extra cash in the door, but like that's not building a business for yourself. Yeah, Like we need to find the right fit. And both of those options are great. Like your goals are going to play a massive part in determining the type of side hustle that is right for you, because it's again it's not one size fits all. So beck for example, if you're like, oh, I want to earn fifty bucks extra a week, you might actually focus on something super low commitment, like maybe you're going to sell some preloved clothes that you've got already in your wardrobe on d pop. You might also like offer some babysitting services. You could maybe like rent out items, so you could rent out your dresses online if you've got dresses things that don't require a lot of energy. Like there was a money diarist I think it was a couple of years ago now who had a side hustle of taking everybody on her streets bins out.
Speaker 4: That's such a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's like, I'll do it. Five bucks a bin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that all added up and she was getting like a couple of one hundred bucks each month.
Speaker 4: That's, oh my god, a fantastic idea. I'll pay someone to do that.
Speaker 5: Five bucks have been every week, every second week recycling and general rubbish. That's ten bucks that week. And then they just pop their money in their letterbox and she'd go around collect all of the money and.
Speaker 4: That's thank you man, a little.
Speaker 2: Better of extra cash.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously, that's not thousands and thousands of dollars no, right, that's just actually a little bit of a side hustle. So there's lots of things that you can do, but we need to find the right fit. But if your goal is to then go, oh well, be I actually need five hundred dollars extra a week taking the bins out, that's not going to work. Like, that's not the side hustle for you. You're going to need something that's a little bit more structured and scalable. Maybe you're doing freelance in an area of expertise, or like you're running an e commerce store, or you're starting like a high demand service, or you are doing a heap of voober eats hours. Like there is something for everybody, but everything isn't for just you, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. So once we're like clear on our goals, Yeah, what do you recommend we do next?
Speaker 5: Next, we're going to have a look at our lifestyle. Like we're going to look at our lifestyle and our schedule. And it's honestly all about getting honest with yourself when you want to make extra money. Money sounds good, money is motivating. I love money. I want more of it, But are you actually going to do it? Like you're actually going to pull your finger out and do it. You have to ask yourself a few questions, like when do I have free time? You might go, oh, of EAT's in the mornings, or maybe it's on the weekends, or maybe it's sporadically through the week.
Speaker 2: How much energy do you have?
Speaker 5: As another one, because like if you said v doing a side hustle, you want to earn five hundred extra bucks a week, Like, absolutely, I do. You're gonna have to get up at four am all of a sudden, I don't want that five hundred dollars extra witch.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like we're going to find a reason to not do that. And the question is am I ready to take on something productive or would I need something a little bit more low maintenance or like timing specific? What current commitments do I have that might clash with a side hustle, Like if you're going to do babysitting but you already have kids, that's probably maybe not gonna work if you need to be home for your kids. But if you already have kids and you're going to do babysitting, you're already looking after kids. Maybe you just add them to the mix, right right, So there's lots of things you could do. And the other question I want you to ask yourself is can I actually commit to setting up a business or should I find some kind of freelance platform? Should I be going to like a mad Pause to do pet setting or ask or in uber and like using their platform to earn some extra income. I'm not having to run a whole business on my own.
Speaker 4: So I guess like, if say, your evenings are packed with family obligations, a good side hustle that requires like nighttime availability like tutoring or running events might not work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not.
Speaker 4: Instead, you could focus on something flexible, like selling digital products or freelance riding. If you have the skills, when you know when you're available, whether it's like a couple of hours on the weekend or early mornings before work, you can start narrowing it from.
Speaker 5: There exactly, because like, not everything is going to fit into your schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 5: Feel like when people are like, what's the best side hustle, I'm like, for what, Yes, And now we're talking about it, you can see why I can't be more specific exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: So now that we know or we want to achieve and how much we can commit, what's next?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: This is the fun bit. This is the bit that you've probably come here for. What you get to do is you get to have a look at your skills and your passions and you get to kind of do a little bit of order. You get to sit down and go all right, well, what do I actually bring to the table, and how can I then turn my talent into something really profitable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take yourself on a day. You get to know yourself.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. But okay, hold that thought. Okay, because just for a hot minute.
Speaker 4: Just for a hot minute, let's just go for a little quick break, is it okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we can go for a break.
Speaker 4: After the break, will dive into the exact questions you need to uncover your hidden talents, and we will reveal one simple trick that could lead you straight to your perfect side hustle. Don't go anywhere, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: I'm staying.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everyone. Before the break, we talked about assessing your availability and setting realistic goals. Now it's time to dig into the fun stuff. Finally, your skills and passions.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I did a little hook at the start of last one, and then you cut me off, so I couldn't say. But this is where you get to really dig into what you bring to the table back and how you can turn your talents into something more profitable.
Speaker 2: I mean, even you have a side hustle.
Speaker 4: I do have a side hustle.
Speaker 5: You turned your talent into a side hustle, You're not Yes, isn't that good?
Speaker 4: Are you're editing eight hours a week and it's like really good pay and because it's so like that kind of stuff, But when it's freelance, you can do it whenever, wherever, and so it doesn't feel like.
Speaker 2: It's tacking up to mediator.
Speaker 5: You did something that you already had a skill in, and you were like, I could probably do a little bit of freelance exactly slay coin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 5: But if you hadn't have done a little bit of an audit on like what you bring to the table, you would probably be like, oh, well, you know side hustle, let's be stereotypical. Oh I could do uber eats, I could do this, Like I've showed that those are the ones that you know other people are doing. But I'm assuming it's a bit more fun when it's something that you're already interested in a little bit you're editing here and there, like, how good for you. But if you aren't like Beck and you didn't immediately know what your talents are, which nice, nice. I want you to grab a notebook or just open your notes up. Honestly, you're going to start by listing out three things. What skills do I have that I already use regularly? So maybe you do like social media on your own, or like at work you write newsletters or you know something like that. Then I want to know what hobbies have you got that I have the others might value? So like, are you good at baking? Can you throw epic parties? Are you good at mending things? So like, are you like good at sewing and stitching and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that?
Speaker 5: Stuff that like is a skill that not everybody always has. Then I want you to think what do people come to you for, like for advice or help on? For me, it's money, So I made a podcast that's my side hustle. Maybe people are asking you for help, like with resume writing that could work? Are they always like, beck, I need your help? Like I'm going for a new job, Will you help me with my resume? That's a skill you might not have trained for it, but if people are trusting you with that, you probably.
Speaker 2: Damn good at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then I want you to ask have I solved a problem for myself that I could probably help others with? So like, did you make an epic budget for your wedding that.
Speaker 2: People might want? To buy. Yeah, totally. Are you still stuck? He's the hack?
Speaker 5: Beck, you said that I would tell people this, ask your friends and family what they think you should do. Yes, Like if I was like, Beck, I'm stuck, I need a side hustle. What do you think I could do? And you're like, oh, v I'll grab a coffee with you and we can brainstorm some things. I guarantee that you've got some side hustles in your brain that I could do that I'm not seeing because it's like right in front of my face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly, Because.
Speaker 5: If I sat down with you, I'd be like, oh, video editing would be great. Maybe if you hadn't thought of you'd be like, yeah, I didn't realize I could take my actual main career and do.
Speaker 2: A little side hustle.
Speaker 5: Totally.
Speaker 4: It actually didn't have any idea. Someone else recommended it.
Speaker 5: So yes, somebody else is always going to come in clutch and be like, hey, by the way, did you know that you could do this? And they probably see strengths that you're not very good at seeing in yourself because we are so self critical.
Speaker 4: We are because I.
Speaker 5: Couldn't do that. I don't run a media agency. I can't do video editing on the side, Like, who am I a good video Editor's true? Maybe you think like knitting's just a hobby, but your friends are like girlfriend, that is boutique level, like people would commission pieces from you, yes, boom handmade scarves.
Speaker 2: Might be thinking.
Speaker 4: Exactly, or maybe you're just like you find it so satisfying to clean out your bathroom or that is such.
Speaker 2: A good side hustle.
Speaker 5: Just let people organizing, decluttering to people's pantries. Oh, there would be nothing more satisfying. Totally.
Speaker 4: It was quite and I've always broke, but that was a period was very broken. I told all my friends that I would give them a massage fifty dollars an hour wine on arrival, and no one took the offer. But I just thought it was a great idea.
Speaker 2: So that is a great idea in theory.
Speaker 5: But like, I'm not gonna lie for fifty dollars an hour, probably just gonna go to the massage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm I'm always with a crack. You don't want to have a chat, we don't have to have a chat, and that's tenacious. I like that. I'm glad you didn't advertise it online because you could have got.
Speaker 4: Some Yeah, that's true. Well, anyone listening, I'm still stick stick video. Maybe I should, Maybe I should. Okay, So we feed out our goals, our available time, what we're good at. What do we do next?
Speaker 5: The next step is having a look at your opportunities because we might have some good ideas, but they might not actually be that good. And this is where you are going to start exploring specific side hustles and matching them to like everything that we've talked about so far.
Speaker 4: Okay, so how do we figure out which opportunities are worth pursuing.
Speaker 5: So again we're going to ask ourselves the questions that I asked ourselves before. We're gonna ask does this side hustle align with, like, my skill and my lifestyle. If it doesn't fit your availability or like strengths you have, it's probably not the right option. I eat, I cannot knit, I will not be doing knitting. If you don't have a license, maybe uber driving not for you. Does it actually help you achieve your goals? So, whether the goal is earning extra money or maybe building a new skill, or just having some fun and getting out in the community, like the side hustle needs to support that the next year is you could be the biggest, baddest scarf maker in the whole entire world, but you live in Queensland. Yeah, so like, is there a demand for what you are producing? I would be doing a little bit of research to see, you know, other people already doing this product or like this service. Use platforms, honestly, look it up on TikTok, look it up on Instagram or Etsy, or read it and see if there's interest in what you're doing, and then what's the startup cost? So, like, for example, I think if you and I sat down and you go, oh V I think your side hustle, you're really good at money, maybe you should give like financial advice. That is a very expensive thing to give, like to have a financial services license to do the whole thing. That is actually not that's not good. I need you to make sure it's something that you can start with and have the resources to be able to do. Like if it was a side hustle for me and I didn't have an income and I didn't have any money to invest, I could probably sit people down and do their budgets, but I definitely couldn't give investing advice. So I need to think about what I could and couldn't do. And then the other question is like does this excite me? You're going to be more likely to stick with the side hustle that you actually enjoy doing because there's nothing worse back. And you can probably a test to this getting home from a hard day at the office and then realizing you have those eight hours a week of video.
Speaker 2: Editing that you need to do.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Like you're like, oh my gosh, I need to do that too. But like if it's not that much of a drag, you're like, Okay, well maybe I'll grab a soda water from the fridge and I'll sit on the couch and I'll just get this done. Like it's not too bad. Exactly, if you feel like you need to bury your head in the sand and you wish you never did it, that's probably not Oh my god, when you get that feeling your belly like I would rather do anything else, exactly, I think that's all very very good, solid advice. So it's about narrowing down the options in a way that's practical and realistic. Absolutely, and then the next step is like kind of testing it. This is where you take everything that you've worked on and try it out in the real world, but like on a small and really low precious scale, not like Beck, but you're going to offer your services to friends and family, So no massages with wine on arrival. But if your side hustle is service space, like tutoring or consulting or freelancing, start by offering it to people you know, because this feels safe, and this gives you a safe space to practice and refine your process. The next is like, maybe make a small scale batch of products. So if you're going to sell products, create a small batch to sell through social media or local markets or like on Etsy, and then that's going to gauge the demand and you're going to get some feedback. The other thing I would say is using gig platforms can be life changing. So for freelancing or like project based work. So say Beck, you had identified that you wanted to be a video editor, right you were like, oh, I could do eight hours of video editing freelance, but I don't have any clients, right, Like you've got the connections, so like money win for you because you were like, okay, cool, well I'll just put my hand up and I can do these things because like I've got some people who can connect me with some people. Not everyone has that, right, but you could have put an add up on Fiver, or you could have put an add up on air Tasker or upwork and said I'm a video editor and I can do these things, and you know, this is my rates and this is what I would charge you, and here's where I work and some you know, examples of what I've done. And then people could see that ad and like then go oh, beck, I know it's not eight hours, but I've got two hours of video editing work a week for you. Like you can start by picking up some small things. I think a lot of the time people go oh v but like I don't have anyone that has like I don't have any clients. You're going to have to get clients somehow, and these gig platforms are literally game changing. I use air Tasker all the time, not to advertise my services, but like I go on air Tasker and I'm like, surely there is somebody who does this, Yes, Like I need help with xyz like from home organization to gardening to admin stuff. I mean, this year, what of my strategies beck for growing my mortgage broking business is letterbox drops. So I have thousands of these flyers to be like hey, new year, new mortgage, Like, so I've printed those out. I don't have time to put them in individual letterboxes, Like that's just not going to happen. So for me, I have advertised that on air task and found a group of people who want to be paid per hour to just literally walk their dog around and put these letterbox drops into everybody's letterbox. You don't even have to always have a skill, You just have to be tenacious to take the work. And I think that that's the cool thing about twenty twenty five, Like you can do anything, Like if you want to earn an income, you can jump on air tasker. If you've lost your job, you can pick up odd tasks here and there. If you can't drive and do like courier stuff on there, don't worry because you know, people literally like me will advertise, oh I've got a short job here, and then you can line up the next one for a few days in advance, Like yeah, it's really cool, totally. Me and my friends were having a lovely night one night and we couldn't obviously leave the house because you know when you've had a couple of drinks, Like I don't want to drive, absolutely you go on air task Like on a Friday night, we were asking for someone to deliver us a vape for like one hundred dollars one vape.
Speaker 4: People will do that.
Speaker 2: Did it happen?
Speaker 4: It actually did happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh my god. See that is like Connie and I.
Speaker 4: If I was just doing nothing one night and I saw a group of people who wanted a eight for one hundred dollars, mate, say less, you better believe I'm the way there. I'll do it for ninety nine. I'll undercut the competition exactly. And it's very responsible because they're not drink driving and you're helping friends out.
Speaker 5: I love that, But I think it's also about just being a little bit creative. Like if you want to side hustle, I actually love beck the idea that you'd pick one that doesn't commit you to keaps, like use a platform like five or air Tasker or upwork, none of which sponsor me, but if they want to, they can call me. But small non coincidental tasks that add income to your back pocket, but when you get home there's no stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my favor.
Speaker 4: Do you leave it at work.
Speaker 5: You don't need to set up a whole damn business tax return and do all of this stuff. All you need to do is go, oh for one hundred bucks, I would absolutely do someone's admin or you know, I saw the other day because I scroll on air Tasker to see what other people are doing mining someone was doing fifty bucks for each basket of ironing.
Speaker 4: Oh that's actually really good.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: Dining is funny?
Speaker 2: You good at ironing? I hate ironing? Beck O, good at it?
Speaker 5: No thank you, no thank you, But that's why people pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly exactly. I feel like we've covered so much.
Speaker 2: So have covered so much.
Speaker 4: Any final advice for someone ready to take the leap into a side hustle.
Speaker 5: I would say, start small, focus on what's going to work for you and your life, and honestly, don't overthink it.
Speaker 2: And if you're still looking for.
Speaker 5: Some inspiration the shameless plug, check out my book, The Business Bible. It is packed with tips to help you turn your ideas into action and make your hustle a success.
Speaker 2: Love it all right, have a good week, guys. We'll see you on Friday. See Friday.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 7: The bye shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 7: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper p T Y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine