Speaker 1: The Driver's Show. Please don't call it an electric car. We call it.
Speaker 2: New energy powered by a Misson Nano Taylor toil over a century of engineering excellence. It means cutting edge, nanoscale technology.
Speaker 3: I will say one thing, which is paper straws are ship. Paper straws are ship, and in my house I bulk by plastic straws because you do do a lot of cocaine and you have extremely big nostrils.
Speaker 1: Hoover. I think your wife calls you sometimes I call her that as well. So yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll be You'll be using their nose to vacuum the carpet. For that, that little comment, you should probably stop. Everyone tuned in to hear stuff like this. Hmmm, it admits to oil that you drizzled on. No, that is That's not me eating. By the way, I'm just having my way with the janitor. Donna's in the corner two years with to chuck a leg over goodnight. He's a caramel Sunday. You got yourself, Donna. Thank you. Darling got to be back on the program. Jesus Christ, I've got a mcfuck theer. Any as you choked to death, I'm gonna tell him. It was a fucking happy meal. Here's your toy, Pavely. Oh god, what have you been up to. I've been driving a lot of cars, driving a lot of cars, been covering a lot of range, planning a road trip. Actually, oh well, I'll be going from Sydney to Melbourne Boring, which can be a very boring road trip. I think we might take the Cynic route, which is quite nice. I'm still sorr. I've got a pube in my mouth from Donner m So we might go through places like Maurumbula, Biger I'm not sure. But and then once we hit Melbourne, we're going to go up to the the country, the high country of Victoria. Oh yeah, and we might do a bit of skiing. Oh watt, Yeah, that's cute. And I will be doing this all in a Genesis g eight mm hmm. Your boy got back with Genesis. I'm doing it all in a beautiful Matt Green the way it should be. Spect here Matt Green. I'm hoping they'll do the tan interior, but we'll see. So there's a bit of a road trip comingly. But it's a cast sale of my and fell through as in I went to buy one and oh here's the thing. Right, So obviously you know how I'm in not too much of a rush to buy a car because our good friends at MG have given me a long termer, which at the moment is the HS, the Big Boy, and been quite enjoying that. It's been good. I thought, well, look here's a car that doesn't pop up too often. And it was a bit expensive. It was like really pressing my budget, and so I got a pretty good not a pretty good price. I wasn't happy with it, but I'm like, fuck it, I'm going to do it. I'm going to do it. These don't come up much and smens is killing me. What was the car? Wait for it? So Genesis. I drove this beautiful you go around? No, no, you go and I drive this beautiful car around and went, okay, this is good. Now, as you know, I'm a family man, yes I've had I need a family car, and I thought it would be appropriate being the family man that I am, to purchase an Audi ttrs.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so you're splitting from your wife and you're getting into no no, no.
Speaker 1: Head dressing for some reason. Stop it. I've got Genesis for my hairdressing salon. Business. That's an interesting choice. Okay, So I will say here's what I know about you. Yeah, you're not a fan of the TT.
Speaker 3: No, the TTRS I am a fan of because he's got the five cylinder engine out of the RS three. Yes, that is one I would find acceptable, but.
Speaker 1: Just acceptable and exceptional even. Yes, but how much I'm cure actually, how many k's are pretty good? About forty five thousand, what year as I think roughly a twenty twenty okay, and how much eighty two drive away? That's not too bad.
Speaker 3: How much were they knew they were pretty expensive? Yeah, because the TT was about one hundred grand.
Speaker 1: The RS was like right up there, one hundred at a stretch. I think I think brand new, around about ninety five drive away. But yeah, the the RS was x y as. I thought this was a pretty good deal given what they are one for t trs when it was new. So I took this thing for a driver and I was like, it was just kind of like I've always wanted to drive one of those, and I'm like, you know, these don't come up much. Fuck it, I'm gonna take it for dest drive. Booke didn't dest drive, and I loved it ripped the shit out of it. Goodness, Wow, what did you do to you? I think I've got some Donna's labby according my foot. Sorry, darn's a bit of a rolled up tissue paper. I didn't want me Johnna properly Donna. Yeah. So I took the things for a test drive. Absolute monster, really great car. In fact, it reminded me. I got the same thrill from this as I would in a nine to eleven, probably more, because it's it's interesting when you've got a car you could easily rip around and the powers coming from the front. But it's it's it's just got such control and such precision about it. I'll steal it just in case it is normal tt. Yeah, yeah, that's right. But it's it's just got some seriously good sounds to it and great power, and it's so fucking engaged. Like ah, okay, So what happened? So I said to we we were going to and fro all week. Dealer or private dealer, okay, yep. So we were going back and forth all week, and I will say this was an Ourdi dealership too, so that kind of meant a lot. I wanted to make sure that it was going through. So, going through back and forth, we agreed on a price finally, and to be honest, eighty was kind of my top. I didn't want to go eighty two is far acceptable. So we got to that. I said, cool, I'm going to come down there on Saturday morning and I'm going to get this sorted. And then there was a sort of like do I pay for this hour right or do I put this on finance? And so I sort of thought, you know what I'm going to just I don't know what they call it. I'll put basically partial down and then do the rest on finance. So I said, can you get your finance guy to call me? Because I want to get it all sorted. So Saturday morning, I give the guy i've been dealing with a call. I said, hey, can you can you get your finance guy to call me please? I'm going to come down at midday today and we'll get it sorted. But I want to make sure it's kind of all paid for and done before I come down. And then plus I wanted to know what their rates were and stuff like that. So he goes, yeah, no worries. So his finance guy called me and I had the kid at the time, and I said, look, just give me, give me five minutes, so I me just sort this. She's just fall bloody, taken a stack on the bike. Give me five minutes or go back. Call this guy in five minutes. He didn't answer. Called him back again in ten, didn't answer, fifteen didn't answer. I don't know, and then i'd by the third time, I'd left a message, and I think I sent the dealer a text as well, like hey, just waiting on a call from your finance guy back. And then about an hour later I get this ping on my phone and they fucking sold it. I'm like, that's a bit rough, like pay deposit though no, wow, no no money talking in there in a good will game, are they No? So I wasn't as devastated as I thought i'd be. I was a little bit, but I thought, you know what, this happens for a reason, Like, you know, eighty grand's a lot of cash. I could get like an affordable family view call, like an MG or something like that. And then with the other forty grand, I could probably get something like a nice secondhand boxter or something like that, or an MG. Actually, so it's a good exercise because I looked at like, okay, what can eighty thousand dollars get me? Well, you know what can eighty thousand bucks get me? I looked it up on car sales, eighty thousand dollars. You know how you can choose from power, power or whatever. Power at the top of the pile. And of course it was giving me a lot of Tesla fucking performance. So I unchecked that and what else was the giving me? It was giving me The top few were the MG four x power. Oh yeah, it's the criterion. Yeah, whereas I like to call it sex power because get a lot of action in that. So that was good. And they're a good looking carton. Yeah, and they're cheap. Um. It was just coming affordable, thank you. That's that's the just looking at that's on your contract words. Just looking for the terms and conditions here. Please do not refer to it as cheap. We prefer affordable. And please don't call it an electric car. We call it new energy. I so, actually, speaking of new energy, the by D seal performance had come up as well, which I fucking love to be honest, I love those cars. I sort of considered that as well. So look I don't know, the jury is still out. I thought, well, you know, maybe like a nice three series beamer like in line six as well. Sorry, yeah, lots of lots of options, but I don't know if you've got any ideas. Yeah, hit cardy up, yeah, I was talking about you. Oh you're the expert. What do you reckon? I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's you said you wanted a family car and then you expressly went and didn't get a family car.
Speaker 1: So well, technically I can put the kid in the back of one of those. Yeah, so it's family to me baby, Yeah, but not practical. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to think about that. Maybe ask me again later in the episode.
Speaker 1: I think it's a tricky one because, yeah, family and cool and performance. I don't think they've now that. Yeah, yeah, there you go. There It is not how do you go in the wet with that car? By the way, Yeah, you don't go great in the way, you don't go around corners. No, basically, yeah, so there's that ish. Yeah, family and cool, it's a it's a tricky mix. Maybe a maybe a Copra Travis scan Oh what travesty that would be. I don't think there. I think Coopra are great car. Actually, I tell you what I'm gonna I've been trying to repair my relationship with the Volkswagen Group of later and that. Yeah, that hasn't gone great. So I will just say this, the Tea Rock Are I find them just underwhelming. Tig One are though. Tig One, Yeah, that's a different story. That's a nice that's a nice car. The Tea ROCKR.
Speaker 3: They did do an update to the interior that made it nicer, and it's got a good engine.
Speaker 1: Very quick. Oh see, I didn't think so do you press the throttle? Yes, it makes some cute, little like complimentary sounds. I was like, okay, this is all you've gone. Look at me my Tea Rock card too, dude. I was like, Nah, this isn't happening for me. This isn't going on. Do you know what really gets to me about the Golfers Because there's such an iconic car and they're a great car. I do like them. I don't know why they've got this kind of vibe of we've got to be understated in the way we look, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think they leave the overstated stuff to Audi they're just kind of sticking with Volkswagen sort of being.
Speaker 1: But the GTI is I would argue that that's more I guess at Landish if you like, a lot more sort of expressive than the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know the golfers like the executive sort of thing. Really I think so, yeah, thank you wull shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's that. I don't know who's that. Yeah, so let me know. Hey. By the way, we did touch on the Seal Performance being a great car. Our good friends at ev Direct and by d Oh geez. The tabloids have gone berserk. They've the mummy and dad have split split up. I wonder who's taken the kids. I wonder if the cops were called. I wonder if it was an argument on the front lawn, just like well, fuck you, fuck youa nah, gone take your bloody. This wouldn't have happened with if you didn't do the shark Si dickhead Gordon, I'm taking the dolphin. Yes. So, just for people's background, EV Direct kind of brought by d to Australia.
Speaker 3: They were the sort of importer and they set up the infrastructure and got everything ready by proper, then came to Australia. And there was also then Eagers, who is a big dealer group, who had an investment in EV Direct.
Speaker 1: So can I just pause this When you said BYD came to Australia, does that mean you're talking about their flagship stores.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know the real ins and outs of it all. I'm not entirely sure how that all worked.
Speaker 1: But what they're doing now is basically BYD proper.
Speaker 3: Is taking over importing these cars and being the point of call for all this stuff, running the marketing, doing.
Speaker 1: The full distributors. They're doing absolutely everything. Yeah, but there's.
Speaker 3: Now a separate company called EV Dealer Group, which is basically a venture where Egers owns eighty percent of it. EV Direct owns twenty percent of it. And this is basically a five year agreement between by D Australia and Eagers to then distribute these cars through the existing dealerships.
Speaker 1: It is confusing.
Speaker 3: And one thing I noticed down in Geelong they've got Mercedes Benz dealer. And you know, because Mercedes bens has been pretty quiet in terms of sales.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm not sad about that at all.
Speaker 3: So they're basically now half of the dealership as a BYD dealer, but it's not like separated.
Speaker 1: So all you see is the building that is Mercedes Benz.
Speaker 3: The front half is BYD, the road facing half, and then the back half is Mercedes bens but it's all in the same building.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, they do that in Gosford as well. With Landrovers. The front it's it's very split, I know, half of it. And it's weird because Landrover are kind of tucked away in the corner and then there's like this there. When BYD was starting, it was odd. It was like this one car and then they had this one pimply representative kid like, well, do you want to show you're interested a bow? I do? Do you remember they were delivering them through my car? Yeah? Oh that was a hot mean, it wasn't it. I mean what I know, who come up with that stupid idea? But I think you've got a fair idea.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's like it's it's so weird because normally what a car company would do is just go, hey, I'm going to sell cars in Australia. But for whatever reason, it has just not gone that way. And I sense from the outside that there is tension between EV Director and BYD because you never knew who to talk to.
Speaker 1: It's like, do I talk to that guy to get the thing I need? Or to talk to that guy? Well that's you though, that's you in the in the car game. Yeah, but how does it work with a customer? Who are they?
Speaker 3: Who runs the call center when something goes wrong? Is it EV Direct? Is it BYD who services the car? Who do I pay my money to?
Speaker 1: Who do I like?
Speaker 3: There's all these weird questions. So it's I'm glad that this has now kind of resolved here. And look they've sent there's a whole bunch of quotes that have come through, and everyone's back padding each other and it's all very complimentary. But I think behind the scenes it would be a very different story.
Speaker 1: It will be interesting to see how this plays out too. I wonder if EV Direct would take on other car companies. I remember when we had Luke on, he was like he had no interest in that sort of thing, so judging by that, and he was really complimentary brand, but he was he'swall black and Blue, Like they'd never take on any other brands, and they were really happy with DDS.
Speaker 3: Why would you bring another like bringing another big brand in. Now, there's so many out there that people have never heard of, so why would you bring in another one. BYD got runs on the board early, so's MG, so's GWM. I think they're all well established. Now you've got all these other brands that have come in that you don't really sort of know about, that are trying to sell cars, and it's just a confusing concoction.
Speaker 1: I kind of also think that surely they would have expected something like this eventually, because they obviously had been working with BYD for years to get something like this together. Then they brought the cars out here and they've done a brilliant job, like BYD is flourished in Australia, done really really well, and you know, now it's kind of got to a point where it's like, hey, cool, thanks for setting us up. We're kicking ass. Will take it from here, Champ. But that's the thing.
Speaker 3: They've taken all the risk, So I think it is fair that they've been paid out, and they would have been paid out very handsomely in the background, because the Eagers investment in ev Direct was in the tens of millions from memory, so for BYD to basically take over. Now they would have to, you know, buy that over. I would have thought so it would have cost a lot of money. So someone's made a lot of money out of this. So it's just interesting, you know, very interesting.
Speaker 1: Have you had an any dealings with the Shark sex of recent times. Yes, we did our updated video where we took it back. Yeah, yeah, covered that. It was still well it really isn't a shitcart. No, it'sat it's great for day to day, but just don't take it off road, yeah, for that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: And since then there's just been people trying to just desperately demonstrate how good it is road and just failing miserably. And it's like, it's fine, it doesn't have to be that, and I don't care if it is or isn't, but it's not.
Speaker 1: And that's that. What's that car that I feel like it could be from Deep? It was a weird. It was almost like this car ute hybrid. Oh the yeah, I'm prett sure that was a deep hell like I had the tray cover but yeah, it was kind of like a and I'm pretty sure it's coming to Australia, in fact, I know it is, but ah, god, I can't remember, and I was really interested to know if the EO cover right, that cover can be taken up full time and you can use it as a tray. I don't actually think it can. I think it's just.
Speaker 3: I think you could, Like I'm looking at pictures of it here, and it seems to be usable with the cover gone.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting, interesting market at the moment. So yeah, it's I feel like we're in a We're in a time where there's a lot of choice. There's the ice cars, there's the hybrids, and then there's the EV. I think at one stage we thought, look, EV's are just gonna take over, and then I think, no, no, I reckon hybrids will be sort of hot property moving forward. I think they sort of overcooked it with full EV and now like with all these Chinese cars coming in, these EV's coming in, it's hard to know. There's so much choice going on. You just went to the Shanghai Motor Show. Yeah, so Shanghai and Beijing alternate. Did you blend in because you kind of look a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you some funny things in a minute, So let me run you through the show and the scale.
Speaker 1: Of it first, you do that while they eat some while you eat some more.
Speaker 3: So basically Shanghai Motor Show is enormous and if you look at motor shows in Europe, they're all dead, like I mean that, no one really does motor shows anymore, and if they do, not many people go there. China, on the other hand, is insane. So the first two or three days are media only, and there was tens of thousands of people there for the media days only. Throughout the course of the two weeks the show is running. They expect over a million people to come through over three days over the month that the show is on.
Speaker 1: For the public.
Speaker 3: That's decent now, and it is enormous. It's cross eight massive halls. Each hall has like an upstairs and a downstairs. It is on another level and there's just so much stuff that blew me away. So one of the big things over there at the moment is live streaming. So at pretty much every stand, you had a line of maybe ten people all dressed kind of the same with a phone on a tripod facing the car. Then they would put their hands in front of the phone and would be doing like hand gestures and would just be talking. At this for like an hour straight, and what they were doing was live streaming the car that was just revealed so that you could buy it. And then they get a commission and they all work for a company where this company is getting commission for each car they sell, and it.
Speaker 1: Was so funny. Well, I don't understand. So a car has just been revealed and they're standing in front live streaming it, and then what happens? How are they selling cars?
Speaker 3: But you go by it because everything also in China has done through like wa Chat, so we chat is not only a messaging platform, but it's a payments platform. Everyone has their websites and their portals on there. You book an uber or dd through there, like it is insane. But then they have these people that are live streaming, and what would happen is because they're all lined up, one would move a little closer and all of a sudden they would be in the shot of the next.
Speaker 1: Guy, and they're all yelling because they're just so fucking loud in there.
Speaker 3: Then the next guy would move in and then all of a sudden, they're all like a meter away from the car because none of them wanted to be in others shots. But because one did it, they all had to do it. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'd love to kind of get on one of these live chains and work out what they're doing. So they're standing in front of the car, they're talking in the public, Hey if you want to talking stats, Yeah, it's live comments are streaming, So they would be answering questions and they'd be just NonStop a car that's just been released. That's a pretty incredible skill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they would then have a second phone in their hands that you couldn't see on camera that was all the specs, so that they could just rifle through it. But they were talking a million miles an hour and for hours straight. It was just unbelievable. So we were being hosted by GWM and GW and revealed a V eight which in yeah in the tank is insane.
Speaker 1: So turbocharged V eight that looked cool. Crazy.
Speaker 3: So it's so cool to see that the car development in China has not slowed down and to the point where last time I was in Shanghai, which is probably ten years ago, everyone was just driving European cars. They're all just because that was the status thing. And then the guys that couldn't afford European cars, we're just driving cheap, shitty Chinese cars, which back then weren't very good. Now all of the European cars are ten years old. No one is really driving European cars. They're all driving their national product. And some of them are spending like two or three hundred thousand dollars on stuff like that yangwang U nine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and that's nice.
Speaker 3: And is that a derivative of BYD Yeah, that's a bid division. So some of the other stuff at the show that blew me away BYD and Cattle. They sort of showcase this battery charging technology that basically will give you like three or four hundred kilometers of charging range within three or four minutes. Wow, which was really cool to see. But the thing is with them as well. This isn't like the Europeans where they go, oh, we're testing a prototype car with solid state batteries. It'll go on sale in twenty twenty nine. These guys are like, we've got this battery here on show, it's on sale from next month in that car. It's crazy insane, And it was just the scale and the pace at which they're working that has completely blown me away.
Speaker 1: So now here's some weird, weird stuff.
Speaker 3: So someone came up to me and they're like, oh, can you do can you do an interview for people at GWM? And I was like, yeah, what about Oh let's ask you some general questions and I was like yeah, no drums and like, can you just be here at eleven so rock. This dude comes up to me. He gives me this five pages of fucking words, so question and then an answer, but the answer was like ten paragraphs.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: And he goes, I just need you to recite all of this and I'm like when and he goes on the video interview. I'm like, I can't learn all of this and I hadn't read it at this point and he goes, oh, and it's live as well, and I'm like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And I said to him, so it's GWM, but who was the interview with? Well, it was being streamed on their global social media. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Reading this and the question was what do you think of GWM? And it was all this rambling stuff and then it was like it provides me inspiration and it is one of the world's best car brands. I'm like, the guy's fucking serious, and I said, I'm not going to be reading this happy to be interviewed.
Speaker 1: So it did come. He's what you should have said. Yes, it emmitts her they make Precision lubric and Blue brookhems. And I couldn't say better myself, but you could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this dude has I saw the trail of cameras coming and they said just stand here and look surprised when he comes up to you.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, what so saw this jude?
Speaker 2: See you?
Speaker 3: Ronald heard his accent and it was an English accent. So when he started talking to me, I was just trying to be a bit funny and talk about Australian stuff, and I'm looking at this guy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, he has no idea what I'm talking.
Speaker 3: Jokes are dying in And then we get through this this interview and then I'm like, what the fuck just happened? And someone said to me, they hire all these white Russian guys who put on English accents to make it look posh.
Speaker 1: He was an actor.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it made sense when I was talking about all this English Australia type stuff that he had no idea about.
Speaker 1: The guy has probably never been to Australia or the UK. Yeah, No, it was weird.
Speaker 3: And then throughout the show I would randomly have people come up to me and ask me for interviews. Oh what do you think of this our brand? What do you think of the styling? And you would just go through and have all of these random interviews with people and you don't know where it is. One time this dude comes up and he's like, Oh, what do you think of the show? Another Russian English guy? And then in the background I could see the girl filming on.
Speaker 1: Her phone, but he had not mentioned that. I just thought he came up to chat to me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, dude, I can see her filming, I can see the microphone on you at least say hey, do you want to be part of this?
Speaker 1: Oh? Did you say that to him? No? But I was like it was just weird.
Speaker 3: So it was the whole thing to me blew me away. And I can see that they're producing all these cars, but they're trying to legitimize themselves by employing these white guys to do the fronting of everything. They're trying to break through to a Western World, which I can't of get. It is a different way to do things. And to be honest, I could see as well. Again because we were with g WM. We went to all their cars and they had like twelve or fifteen cars for us to drive, and we rock up to a fucking car park and I'm like, old, what is this? And it was literally a car park with all these slalem courses and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what is this? Oh, like a like a like a driver defense kind of training set of thing, you know, like a like a shopping center car park.
Speaker 3: We had no specs on any of these cars, so I'm frantically googling half of these cars are and we then spend fifteen seconds behind the wheel doing this slalem and they just rush up to.
Speaker 1: You what did you think?
Speaker 3: And I'm like it had fuck loads of body roll and understeered a lot. Yeah, because it's a giant four wheel drive. It was like an a ladder frame suv. I'm like, you've set up.
Speaker 1: A fucking slalem course here? What did you expect to happen? I just love it if you like hit some poor old bird just carrying the shopping to a car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's this is just and I can see why they did it, Like you can't just drive on the road in China as a tourist to get like a tourist license which involves a test our group. With GWM globally had like let's say two hundred journalists there, so getting two hundred journalists a tourist license would have been impossible. So I can see that they're working with constraints, but they still just don't get it. And you could not get away with doing that with any other brand because you would get torched. And look, I was upfront with the video that we shot. I said, listen, this is all I've got to deal with. I'm going to be upfront and say that none of this is really all that impressive because none of it was, to be honest on that course. So yeah, it was just a hard thing to work around, and I think they're still a bit naive in terms of how they're working, but I will be curious to see how it all pans out. And just a side note as well, with the fast battery charging stuff, you know, people look at it and they're like, oh, you know, EV's about to turn a corner here with charging but when you actually break it down, those charges needed a mega water of electricity. Like if you're setting up a charging station in the middle of Australia somewhere, or on a high regional highway somewhere.
Speaker 1: To be honest, anywhere in regional Australia getting you know what I mean, ten charges ten megawatts of electricity.
Speaker 3: That is a lot of fucking electricity. So people just don't get that. And that's why I reckon. While it may work in China where they've got a lot of diversity in terms of their power sources, and they just do not stop. It just will not work in Australia for quite some time.
Speaker 1: I wonder how do they get that working over there, Like they've got so many people, and like China is on it like people. I just love reading some of the comments I see in our content.
Speaker 3: I'll never buy anything China is. They got no idea Like go to Shanghai. It is one of the most advanced places in the world. Yes, they If you drop yourself in the middle of Shanghai, you wouldn't even need to know the rest of the world exists. Everything is there. You want for nothing, and they have everything that you need. And people who think China is in some economic trouble. No, not from what I could.
Speaker 1: Tell, like it is. This is a bustling place.
Speaker 3: Their car market is out of control, so you know, and they sell over thirty million new cars a year just in China.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So that's why they can get away with making half of this shit because they know that even if you only have ten percent of the market, you are bigger than the entire Australian market times three.
Speaker 1: And you look at say BYD who are like one of the if not the biggest brands saler in China. I mean, fuck, there's no wonder that they took over from MeV Directs and they've got money behind them. They just wanted someone else to kind of look after the nitty gritty. No, but it's it's exciting stuff.
Speaker 3: So funnily enough, this probably won't make any sense to anyone except people with the tech background. We had to do like live crosses back to Australia for Sunrise, midday news and six pm news.
Speaker 1: Little celeb you have seen it, yeah, but anyway, have you got have you got like celeb clout about you? Now? Do you kind of walk up and just I picture you walking through TV studios and just slapping the brand power Chick on the ass get a touts.
Speaker 3: But it was interesting over there because for us, for our live stream equipment to work, you have to have like it accepts six sim cards. It's called a de geio, and it was very hard to get data sims over there. So we had to get one of our locals over there to get us these data sims, and he had to pledge to return the data sims when we were done, because it's like a weird thing for someone to have more than one data sim. Oh and I couldn't buy it from a shop, just like a data sim for a tourist. Oh really, So it was crazy. So it was touch and go there because one of our live crosses was like five am, so I had to make sure it was working and stuff was just a bit hairy at one point. We've got it working in the end, but just even the process of doing that, because they've got all these firewalls in place as well, I'm like, this may drop out halfway through our live cross honestly, just insane.
Speaker 1: I've been to China once and I loved it. I was only there for a couple of days. But I think it's fantastic. I just you're exactly right. There's just some things that China do better and that we've got to accept that, like the common section blowing up with there's bloody Chinese cash. I'm not briefacing building them. They're not even quality mate stuff like that. The Chinese are ruling the world with and they can scale and they should because like they've put a lot of hard work into it.
Speaker 3: They can scale production unlike anyone else in the world. You can't, like with all this tariff stuff that's going on at the moment, Apple cannot manufacture iPhones in the US because A you can't get the parts.
Speaker 1: Network in the US. That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: B The work ethic, Like I know that obviously in China you've got issues with the way some workers are treated, but.
Speaker 1: There's a forest dedicated to it.
Speaker 3: But their work ethic is if you are due at work, you're at work, you work hard all day, and you go home.
Speaker 1: You don't go on working from home to know because.
Speaker 3: Whatever, like it's not like and in the States, manufacturing is hard work because you've got to pay people a shitload of money. You've got all of these dramas about people who.
Speaker 1: First of all, I wouldn't say it's a shipload of money. Those people who are working in the Amazon warehouses aren't eating a shipload of money. I mean, compared to Australia, they would be.
Speaker 3: I mean, the US dollar is so strong that but equally over there it's quite expensive to live. Right in China, it is much cheaper to live so obviously they're not the same thing. But it is the scale of manufacturing and their work ethic and the ability to source parts over there that makes huge scale production possible and why a lot of companies are going to be in trouble because they've based everything around China and if all of a sudden you get all these tariffs slapped on stuff, you no longer have a business.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but the culture is different. Yeah, and that's a really good point. That's pretty much exactly why they're a powerhouse with this sort of stuff. Except when it comes to a little car that I test drove to the point where I hated it so much i returned it. After two days. They're like, oh, yeah, you're back, And I said, just take it, please, just take it. This car isn't finished. I'm talking about the Leap Motor C ten. It's a stupid name. To start with a stupid name. No matter where you look at it, Leap Motor just sounds like some sort of fucking learning game for children. And seed ten and sound two. Yeah, seed ten. I don't know, it just sounds so clinical. So yeah, Leap Motor C ten forty five thousand to forty nine eight like that little touch. Depending on the variant, I will say the best thing about this car is the way it looking. What's that handing it back? Well, yeah, and it's flicking back. I was going to say the keys, but it doesn't even come with keys. It's actually a pretty good looking car. I will say that straight up. It looks really good. The one thing I found so weird was it's got this light bar up the front. But you only get that in like Chinese models or overseas. It didn't make it past the Australian test or whatever. But isn't that so old because there's so many cars with that front light bar here there's rules around distances of light lights from the center of the car, or there's some stupid rules.
Speaker 3: Around that are just and this is you know you look at the side note the new model, Why is just that can pass it?
Speaker 1: I couldn't understand why this could. Design rules are so dumb.
Speaker 3: They just have all of these idiotic things that don't exist anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 1: So twenty inchalloys, five hundred and eighty lead boot space, it's got a decent bum on it up to four hundred and twenty four kilometers in WLTP. Here's where it started to go wrong. So the key is not a key, it's a card or you can use your phone. So I've got a big problem if like your phone or a card is your only options to get in the car. Well, say you're a fucking mum, you've got three kids, You've just come back from shopping, your phone's dead. All you want to do is the only way to open this boot is with the card. So you can't actually do the whole. It says you can, but you can't because I tested it. You can do that kind of bootswipe under the car. When so say you're fishing around in your handbag, you've got no proximity sensing key. You've got to get this fucking card out and tap the side mirror.
Speaker 3: No, but I disagree because I had a Tesla for five years and never had an issue with my phone being flat. But if you did, you just go to the card. Your phone will work all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you've got the card, would that car open BI proximity?
Speaker 3: No, but your phone has used the rest of the time, So why would you then lug around a key. I think key's a complete waste of time, Like they're just pointless. If you can do it with your phone, which you always have in your.
Speaker 1: Pocket, say your phone's dead, you can log into the app and unlock the car from any other phone or use the card. That sounds like a massive dick around. I'd never once had that happen to me in five years of owning the car. Well, you're a nerd with a fully charged phone.
Speaker 3: And I'll say as well, Apple, and this won't work if it's an app. But Apple Key, which they use for BMW's and a couple of other brands, now they actually if your phone does die, there's a reserve battery capacity for.
Speaker 1: The key work. Oh okay, so there's fixes for that as well. Look, I just found it an absolute punish I I just didn't enjoy it whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just vastic I'll say, is if you were an owner, you would just have your phone paired.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like just using this car to open the door and you're clicking it on the mirror and it doesn't work that great to be honest, like you're really tapping this thing away. It's like it's still not opening. Also, I found like the other only way to open the boot was to get in the car, use the infotainment and click on the boot button. It was just like, don't do that. At least the key that you hate so much has fucking everything on it.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, I've unfortunately my mystery car from herts as a shipbox Pollstar, and that's got the same thing where the boot. I just cannot figure out how to open it easily without having to use the key. There might be a button there somewhere, but I couldn't find it and gonna be bothered looking any them, but I already did.
Speaker 1: The infotainment doesn't even have Apple car Play or Android Order. I mean, that's just dumb. The only sort of apps it has. By the way, footnote, I think I believe that's coming, but it won't be an update till the end of the year. So to get home to use this car's navigation system just was a piece oh shit, massively. Yeah, it's got Spotify and Zoom, but that's about it. I just I would rather sit down to take a piss on an ant's nest then I would sitting in this fucking leap motor c ten. I don't say that like lightly. I wanted to like it. I really remember was saying it, going, fuck, this is really nice looking. It was all black, it looked really slick. But this is a hard pass. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I think they undercooked it. I think it's not ready, and I think that it's probably got potential. I think they've got a really cool speck where it's I like a green on the outside and and a tan on the inside. It's got a very Donald Trump style tan on the inside. Everything is this this weird kind of tan. So yeah, it kind of looks nice, but that's where it ends. For me. It's a hard pass. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I don't think they've really sold any of them, so there's not really much to know to go by. And that's the thing these cars, if they're not ready and they're not up to scratch, no one will buy them. Like it's a brand no one has ever heard of, So why would you go? And now, just very quietly as well, I'm now looking at a YouTube video of the Polster to boot opening from the outside. There was a button buried near the red o plate, so you're going to stick your finger under there, and that's where it opens intead somewhere little.
Speaker 1: Ridge round in the Polster anyway, it's a poster five coming out posta. Yeah, who cares? I reckon, they're a great looking car. We're so divided on the Polster.
Speaker 3: I would just never own one because they horrifically expensive and depreciate terribly and have built like shit?
Speaker 1: Are they built like shit? So the last one that I.
Speaker 3: Drove was a horror show. It should not have left the showroom. It was like your elite motor experience.
Speaker 1: I just found them a little bit just mundane and clinical. Like the inside. I remember thinking it's it's got this kind of scandy feel about it, you know, with their yellow handy. Yes, it's got this yeah scandy via China. It's got this kind of yellow seatbelt vibe going on. I was like, it's you know, it's it basically looks like an accountant's car who fills his shitty little one bedroom apartment with Ikea furniture. That's who would buy that car. But they're a nice looking car, pavel A, he's a little bitch. He doesn't lack posta too. You've worked with it a Mitsu before at their launch event, right, I did, I did, mate, I went to their launch event. I am seated. Actually your boy am seated. Said the whole thing very nice, delicious Japanese restaurant. But I'm really impressed. I'm really impressed. These guys have been leaders in oil innovation for over a century. You know, they're the ones trusted by Toyota and Mazda to deliver precision engineered oils straight from the factory, and now now they are bringing the same expertise to ossie drivers. What stood out to you the most, well, A lot did, actually, Pavlo, thank you for asking that non prompted question, and it was their nanotailored oil, which is why we're here, because this stuff is next level, and now they don't just make generic who haa products. No, no, not these guys. Every formula is designed with purpose. For example, let me tell you something. The IFG three, Oh, this stuff is perfect for city driving. This is what you want for city driving. This is your stop start traffic, the stuff that puts stress on your engine. But then there's the IFG seven, This is the stuff for your beast pavlay the high performance vehicles. Seven layers of protection seven. I sound a bit New Zealand. Seven layers of protection Anyway, they've got no cleansing tech. It stops oil breakdown and it even just sorts it in the harshest condition. So if you're driving a Japanese car, the IFG five, oh, that stuff is build for precision engineered engines. It's offering five layers of protection to keep your engine clean and running smoothly. So that sounds like a lot of attention to detail. Oh so much detail, so much I nearly forgot it all. But the IOG seven isn't just oil. Just know that, because it's like giving your engine a custom suit of armor, like a little massage. As well. It doesn't just protect your engine, it optimizes performance. If you're into keeping your car in its absolute best nick possible. This is the oil you want, and now it's easy to get too. It is very easy. Are you ready for the longest website I've ever had to reach out? Here? We go au dot Inamitsu slash no no slash tailored slash oil dot com. I said to it, amits you, I said, guys, don't give me that. Let's just tell them that if they search out it AMDSU Australia on the Googles, they'll find where they're going. You know what I'm saying. They'll ship it straight to your door. No fast, top tier oil wherever you are.
Speaker 3: Ok. If it's good enough for manufacturers like Toyota and mazdav and, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Good enough for me. Hmmmm exactly. You know with in AMIDSU, you're getting oil that's designed to handle whatever you throw at it. They've been trusted for the best part of over one hundred years. Yeah, look it, Amitsu taking you beyond engine protection to real driving excitement. I think I could read that better. You ready it Omitsu taking you beyond engine protection to real driving excitement? Was that good? Yeah? Hey, hey, K four, what do you want to talk about anything else? No? Well, just KK four, it's like a little underwhelming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what I found as well, it's got this throttle hang where but just the breaks are very hard to apply when when you release the throttle.
Speaker 1: Was that on the GT line. Yes, the GT is the one with the one point five turbo. See, here's my thing. Like, I love a Kisidan as you know, a former Stinger owner. I think you jumped to my Stinger once before. Yeah, we picked up Donnor and we had a great night at KFC after that. Oh Jesus O KFC works. She loves a greasy box Donnor, she loves it, loves a bit of finger licking chicken. Yeah. So I was really excited about the K four and I actually think the K four looks really good. Looks really good, And I reckon the guy who designed this would probably would have just taken a seat when the final product was put out after he jumped in it, because it really does the outside styling such an injustice when you hop in it's so underwhelming and disappointing. I was in the Sports Plus spec. Here's my thing. When you sit in a car and you're getting second from the top and you're putting your hands on a plastic steering wheel like grip. Whatever you do if you're a car company, doesn't matter what speck it is. Put a little bit of fucking effort into the steering wheel because guess what, it's the thing that gets touched the most. Like me, it's it's it needs to look good, you know what I mean, and it needs to feel good. And this thing was just it looked it looked good, but it like, as soon as you touch it, the whole thing is just one big chunk of plastic. I love what they've done with the little logo in the corner and the way they've set everything up, but god, as soon as you touch it, it's just a cheap hunk. I'm like, what are they doing? The interior is just bland. I did think it just had no colors. It's just like the GT Spec has bigger alloys. I think they go from eighteen to nineteen. It takes it from the two liter four cylinder to a one point five turbo one point six, a little punchy thing which I'll be curious to jump in. Did that have a I mean, you might not have anything to compare it to, but that, Yeah, look, it's it's punchy. It's got an eight speet auto, which is good. I mean the Serrato this is effectively, I guess, a new little sort of Serrato GT with a glower. It's not this is the thing. The Serrato GT was more sport oriented. This is GT Line. Yes, so it deliberately, isn't that? Yeah, I don't know. I just I just wasn't. It's such a shame way with it. I just think they had so much potential with this, and yeah, they really got let down by just some key stuff. And yeah, I just it's disappointing. Outside looks fantastic, inside is lackluster. Maybe the GT speck is a bit better because I think you do get the two tone interior and obviously the punchy engine, but you also get I think it takes it from around about thirty five thousand to I want to say forty four.
Speaker 3: It is expensive as well. That's the thing that I was probably surprised with the most that it's a lot of money for that car. I'm just having a look at prices now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: GT Line is drive away forty seven grand. It's a lot of money. And that's the thing when kiya get it right.
Speaker 1: They really get it right, like they put together a really solid car and this just unfortunately was not it. This is not it. So what else is what's coming up on your horizon? Going to India?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you're testing I'm Ahindra or is it a launch? Is it a random launch in India? Yeah, it's a new Leap motor c C eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be in India, which will be interesting. And then yeah, then off to the States and then off to Europe.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to be busy cagey about that India trip. Yeah, there's some secret stuff with him. He's a he's got a secret Indian lover over there. His name is his name is? His name is Rug and Josh yeah all over that. Yeah. Yeah, he really courage your flavor. Oh yes, ma'am, check out Pavlo's little puppa dumb well listen, have fun in India. Yeah, try not to get dissonery, which is I think a diarrhea an old term for diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm actually have a pretty strong stumming I can. My wife hates this about me. When we went to Ballei ages ago when we were younger, I would just eat street food and just drink water from the tap and stuff.
Speaker 1: And she would just be like, you'd just be licking handrails in the shopping center. And I say shopping center very largely, it's more of a local market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, I just hope you ship yourself on the way back to the hotel.
Speaker 1: Just happened. Touch with it. I'll be in India. Yeah, spriting like ies. I mean, you put your finger over the end of it. Have you seen those reels where it's like just the best of Indian street food and it's literally just a dude cut and chicken with his toenails. I love that. Guys like chicken breasts at his foot and just cutting out by very bad stereotypes. That is not what happens over there. What about the Temple of Rats, Yeah, I don't know about that. That's a real thing. Yeah, that's a holy thing. Well, you probably stay in luxurious accommodation, no doubt, and go over there on your business class flat and we'll land there on business So that would make sense. What's what's the best business class and worst business class? I bet you'll say quantus is good.
Speaker 3: No, Quantus is one of the worst. I think Qatar is one of the best.
Speaker 1: I had a bit of a chuckle me and my Wath. We're just on the socials and I said, check out where Pavlay is. He's at the airport, but he's acting like he's really disappointed to be leaving his family. As you took a photo of the Captain's lounge menu Chairman's land so good. Oh jeez, I'm really disappointed to be leaving my family. But anyway, and loves to Morning the loves of Morn. Mister Merrick, would you please, I've told you put that shit between two slices of bread. I'd like to eat it like a sandwich.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yeah, it just it depends if you're if you're paying with your own money. I just think you get the best value out of something like Katar or Emirates. They're both pretty good. Singapore Lines is good.
Speaker 1: I would never know. I'll never know why. I just I fucking can't have heard that. It's so expensive.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be strategic about when you buy your seats and stuff.
Speaker 1: Here's your points when you can wonder. Okay, thank you. That's some some economy tips and saving advice from not the barefoot investor, the hairy foot investor Pavele morak ah Right. I contacted the Driver Shows dot com dot Au. Would be awesome to get some feedback, some emails, our instapage where we put a whole heap of our VIDs at the Drivers Show, dot com dot Au and the web the website. Do people say that the drivershow dot com dot you like? Listen, subscribe, share? Have I nailed it this way? I think so? Yeah? Change? Who needs to write this shit down?
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in to the Driver's Show, proudly sponsored by it Amitsu Nano Taylor Oil Experience, the power of precision and over one hundred years of engineering expertise. Want to know more so it Amitsu Nano Taylor Oil Au Today