Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of The sit Down. I'm Matt Trolo, a writer from oz open dot Com, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Brie Stewart, head of Content Strategy and Operations at Tennis Australia.
Speaker 1: And Brie, why are we sitting down with Pat Cash this week?
Speaker 2: Well, viv Christie, who is generally here with Matt, is currently in Wimbledon. Lucky duck, and why not sit down on someone like Pac Cash given his illustrious career. He's a very, very important Aussie in the tennis world and she was really lucky to get to sit.
Speaker 3: Down with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hear what the nineteen eighty seven Wimbledon champion had to say.
Speaker 4: Pat, thank you for joining us from a very wet and somewhat cold Wimbledon. But if I remember correctly, the sun was shining in nineteen eighty seven when you won the men's title. What's it like to return to the All England Club as a champion?
Speaker 5: Well, it's a great privilege. I mean, I'm lucky. I've lived in London, so I have the opportunity to come back when I like. One of the benefits of winning the title is you become a member and they often joke, but I think there is some some some reality in it that the easiest way for an Australian or foreigner to get a membership is to win the championship.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a bit.
Speaker 5: Tongue in cheek, but but it is a very very exclusive club. But it's a really nice club. It's it's it's actually not old and as snobby is you know, I certainly when I first came came here, but it's you know, and they the clubs has tried to be, you know, in the forefront of tennis and and and and changes of tennis because they were they were the first Slam to invite the pro players back in the back in the day, Ken Rosell and Labor and these guys to come and play a tournament. And they said, well, yeah we're going to have a pros So the first you wouldn't believe it will Wimbledon. Wall Clubs were the first ones that say, yeah, we'll welcome the professional players. So they're always trying to be ahead of the game. I'm not as excited as I used to be because I can come here quite regularly, but I'm always very very proud to show friends or guests, you know, around the trophy room and say, hey, my name's on that. And and in a weird, a very weird way. A few years ago when Andy Murray went He's second title, and I went into the locker room afterwards as a memory, not allowed in the locker room money if you're a coach or a player. So but they let me in the locker room. And then there there was the trophy and I saw Murray that was just sitting there, and I was having a chat with Yvonne Lendel and his wife were their Samantha, and and I looked, I just looked at the trophy, but for some reason, I didn't look for my name.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what. Then.
Speaker 5: That's strange because afterwards somebody said, oh, was your name is still on the ise? Like I didn't even look. I assumed it is, So I'm hoping it's still on there.
Speaker 4: Do you come here often outside tournament time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do often enough.
Speaker 5: I mean I've been coaching on the on the on and off the tour for the last or ten years, eight ten years, and so when I'm off the road and I want to have it here to tennis. I live not too far away from Queen's Club, so that's usually been my preferred one. But they and the indoor courts he were very, very average until they built a beautiful new center a couple of years ago. So now I try and come here as often as they can. And there's a lot of good players, a lot of experts, Brick brit members, Davis Cup players and fed Cup, Billy Jean King Cup players here, so there's actually quite a lot of good players at the club, you know, and then there's amateurs of course, and so I do get to I do get to come when I want and which which is which is great. But it's always a very exciting of course when the when the tournament's on, because the rest of you know, for eleven months a year it's dead quiet. So you walk around here and you see the tours coming through and that's about it.
Speaker 4: And obviously, you know, one thing that changed for you is that you become a member of the All England Club. But what else changed for you when you became a WINM Wooden champion.
Speaker 5: Well, I suppose at the time I didn't think anything was going to change, but it seemed to be that I didn't really change, but every everybody else around me did so to speak, so there's a lot of stuff going around. I was still a father, I'll soon to be ill, soon to be a father of two. Not that long after the championship. For the next year before I played the defended.
Speaker 3: It was another one on.
Speaker 5: The way and it was so yeah, that was my that and my career with my priorities. But I did feel a lot of a lot of pressure, external pressure, and no one put more pressure on me than myself. I mean, that was that was I think. For the worst thing is I thought, okay, one I won Wimbledon, and reflecting back on it, it was one of the weirdest things ever. When I came in the locker room and I finally got to have a good chat with the team. Obviously I climbed up the stands and gave him a quick hug, but you know, I had had a good and one of the first things I said I was with myort psychologist, Jeff Bond, who was from the AIS and he he was over there and Ian Barclay, of course, my coach, and one of the first things I said was let's go and win the US Open. And they just sort of looked at me with this blank look and.
Speaker 3: Uh and and I thought, yeah, come on, you know, I want to win.
Speaker 5: And it was like mate, they almost basically they look at I only reflected on it later. It was that they kind of looked at me and went, mate, you just want Wimbledon. Why do you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: You know? And it was and it's and I just for some reason.
Speaker 5: I mean, of course I enjoyed it at the moment, but I was I was always And that's what I suppose high achievers or perfectionists have. They're always looking for something else and looking for another. And I thought I was very weird. And and I've heard I heard this a lot from in interviews from other some gold medalists and other champions there, and it's it's very hard to sort of enjoy the enjoy the moment. And I think hopefully players have learned from our mistakes. But you know, it was, it was such a so much. It's so disturbing. I think to me, that and the way that that I put stress on myself and every every single tournament that I ended up getting a tattoo on my arm, which was just about smelling the roses. I forgot a rose on my tattoo on my arm saying this too, shell pass, which means that the bad will pass, but the good will pass, So enjoy it. Smell the roses. So that's a constant reminder. It's on my arm and I have to look at it. And to this day I have a ritual where if I see a rose bush, doesn't matter what I'm doing, if I'm going for a jog or whatever, I will, i will stop and I'll smell, smell the roses, just to have a couple of minute seconds to go, you know what, trying to enjoy this and I do now, I really do. I've changed, but at the time, you know, there was the pressure, the expectations on myself and certainly everybody else changed. I hadn't changed, always put presure on myself, but I put more pressure, to say, and I think that also the fact that people were saying, oh, you know, Boris Becker went out early and you didn't beat Boris. I heard that a couple of a couple of times and got the guys Peter doing he's a good mate of mind, but he was giving me a he beat Boris Becker's ass. The away he's a good mate of mine, but he needs to say stuff like that, hey, image, how much percentage of the prize when you're going to give me for beating Boris?
Speaker 3: And you know, and I sort of kind of laughed about that.
Speaker 5: I go, well, you know, and I thought, so I actually I played him in the Sydney Indoors that and that was that was a big match for me to beat him. And I beat him in that and in a way, and I remember going to the press conference and saying, yeah, I've done it. You know, I've showed people that that you know, I can beat anybody. And they sort of looked at me and go, yeah, we kind of knew that. But for me, I was that was important. And so, you know, there was a couple of things I wanted to tick off my tick off my list, and you know, obviously proving to myself that that I was, you know, I could have beaten Boris. You know, he was obviously two time champion, and you know, going on to try and win another Grand Slam, which I didn't quite get done in obviously in Australia and or elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Was there ever a moment where you sort of stopped and really appreciated that you'd become a Wimbledon champion.
Speaker 5: Every day pretty much now every day I still pinch myself. I mean today I've just gone in and talked to some some you know, corporate guests and and you know, I can't believe it. And I said to my manager yesterday I said, I said, I thank god I wont Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's something, he said, Mate, You've done something that it's it's near impossible to do. You know, people admire that. You know, you might see your normal person, but you're actually not. You're actually a bit of a freak because you won Wimbledon. And I'm like, I'm not really you know, if there's a little of other people, he said, well, not really. I don't know how many men of one thirty or forty, not many in the whole history of the sport of one Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think, wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So every once in a while I need reminding. But basically, you know, pretty much, you know, I'm reminded daily. But you know, I don't take it for granted. But yeah, I think I'm a very very normal person. You know, I don't I don't go around showing my members badge or any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's that's not what it's about. It's the fact that I did it. I've done it, and I didn't look at the name on the trophy, you know, and that's that's not important to him.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know where my replica trophy is. Yeah, you still don't know. I still don't know. I think it's a key, right, but I'm not sure. I walked past.
Speaker 5: I've been a key for the the tournament there, the lead up tournament, past it about twenty times and never stopped to look. Maybe I think it is, but that's not important to me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I know the people when borg is saying he's going to sell one of his trophies and everybody hysterical, but Mac and no, no, no, we come on, we're gonna, we're gonna. We're gonna buy it for your Borgie so you can keep it. And he was like, and I kind of got it. I said, it's only trophy. I mean, it's nice, but it's nice to have. But he's got he got.
Speaker 3: Five beyond that. I'm not going to give mine one away, but I'm not. But I'm not. You know, I'm not overly concerned about that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: And what about your headband. You were famous for your headband. Do you have any of your head bands from.
Speaker 3: I've got my head I have.
Speaker 5: I got headbands in here because everybody seems everybody seems to want one somewhere, and usually I mean I give him out. I've never sold any. So my head band was just about having a bit of fun and doing a bit of rock and roll and tribute and Cheap Trick, who were my favorite band and still one of my favorite bands. And you know, just this morning, actually I love still playing guitar, and I played a bit of little little band around London, and I put my guitar off a bit of practice because I got a gig at the end of the tournament, and I had my Rick Nielsen guitar strap which he gave me, who's the guitarist from Cheap Trick, which I got the inspiration for the check headband.
Speaker 3: He gave me. He presented me his guitar.
Speaker 5: Strap, which is basically it looks exactly that my head man, which is the whole point, and I strapped it on today.
Speaker 3: Every time I picked that up. Agay that's bloody cool.
Speaker 4: The other way that you brought your individual touch to Imbuden was, of course climbing up into the stands. Are you proud of that legacy when you see the players doing it now?
Speaker 3: I am. I actually am very proud, and.
Speaker 5: It's I think it's a It was a natural sort of reaction, but because of the stuffiness of tennis or whatever, that nobody had done it or been stupid enough to do it, and I was stupid enough to do it and get myself in a little bit of trouble, but nothing I couldn't handle, but a bit of a slap on the wrist from the club to not do that again, and you kept the royal family waiting.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. Nothing too dramatic.
Speaker 5: But it's a natural sort of thing to want to share it with your team and and for me, that was the team that I had was was really the first, the first team in in tennis.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Now you look at the box and you see you know, physios and trainers and coaches and assistant coaches and tech people and whatever strings strings and.
Speaker 3: As John McEnroe's walking path, amac, where are you going? I had to talk to you in a minute.
Speaker 5: You're busy, Okay, all right, I'll see I'll catch you. He's playing a gig as well at the end of I want to know what songs he's playing.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it was it was a moment in my career where where it was suggested to me, and I accepted from wiser people than me, that I needed some sports psychology help. I don't think I really lost any matches because I because of my temper or going off, but I could be I certainly could have been better. And and of course i'd been injured, and you know it was a year off with a back injury, and I was a young father, so you know, there was a whole lot of There was quite a few things going on, so much like a business or whatever.
Speaker 3: I brought in the consultants.
Speaker 5: There were specialists, and you know that was the physio and then the trainer. You know David Zuker there, who's the Olympic physio, Jeff Bond who was the Olympic sports psychologists, had doctor round Quinn who's my lifelong friend, and you know, the best training there was. I was very, very lucky. You need a bit of luck. Of course, had super lucky to get get her and she was. She was amazing for me, got me fitter than any player, faster than any play, cutting edge training, she had you and supplements, all that sort of stuff which I wasn't wasn't known. And then and of course Barker is my coach who has been there from almost day one. So we had a great We had a great team. And actually a more orthopedic surgeon there he was in the back. He got him some tickets as well. He was more coming over for a holiday. But so I had had this team and and for me it was very special. It was important for me to share that that that with them. And of course my father was up there and and my partner, the mother, and my my my.
Speaker 3: Son, and.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it just didn't feel right to be back on the court alone by so I made up my mind to do it the night before, but didn't think much about it. And then afterwards, you know, I sort of so much in the moment and I was look looking up to them and going, they're so far away.
Speaker 3: This just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 5: And so that's when I made the decision to go, and I eventually made it. That wasn't very very elegant by any means, and almost it almost became the most embarrassing moment in my life from one of the best moments in my life about a minute earlier. So I couldn't get couldn't get find my way up there. But I eventually did it, and and you know, the rest is history. But you know, I'm glad they're cleared a pathway for the players to see their teams.
Speaker 4: Well, you created lots of kind of injuring memories. I always remember you had such a special bond with your coach in Barclay, that was such a long relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I and still here comes every year we can and you know, when none of us are getting any younger. So it's great, great to see him at dinner with him the other day and a at a good great chat with him. He's still on top of the tennis. And he lived in England for a while, so he coached quite a lot of the players who now have now become coaches. So he ends up running into the coach of Jack Draper and and others. But yeah, it's and he doesn't he looks the same, because he looked he had gray hair and a gray mustache. Back then when he was only forty and uh now he's got the same he's got slightly less hair, but he looks exactly the same. People look at you look exactly the same, and he does. He's a bit slower, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean Ian was my second father and his son was my best best buddies and you know with mad Hawthorne supporters, so he always had some fun.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of success with the Hawks at that that time of the of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the eighties, and you know we were just yeah, he was like my like my dad and my dad used to get on the phone and my dad was almost almost the I don't know, the the person who sort of you know, kept on He did the some finance and he was a lawyer and so he kept an eye on that with along with IMG Management Group. So we had a I thought we had a bloody good team which was really modern modern, very modern version or the very modern version back then.
Speaker 4: And in that campaign you beat Paul McNamee Jimmy Connors of Van Landell. What do you remember from the tennis itself.
Speaker 5: Well, I remember that all of a sudden, the weather came from this sort of weather miserably cold for weeks to boiling hot. It came very fast, which suited me. I think one of the toughest matches I certainly playing Paul. Paul mcner me who you know, is one of my best parties. We played doubles together. Maca was a great influence on me, you know, a super role model. Showed me the robes, you know, around the circuit and certainly dealing with.
Speaker 3: You know, the other things, you know.
Speaker 5: The tennis association management, all that sort of stuff. You know, so he was a great you know, I probably I wouldn't have had the success without Paul's support and had the plane, you know, and I thought, well, this is my this is my year. And it was tough inne my game, you know, he wasn't He knew where the weaknesses were and he was going after them. And that was that was a really really tricky match. I ended up winning, but it wasn't easy, and there was three really tough sets. And then the next round Michael shape as the heat started coming in a Dutchman and I really struggled what I got end up getting through in four sets, and I sort of had to pull my head and that was a very frustrating match, and I know I was yelling and screaming and pulling my hair out and everything like that. And and you know, thank god I had Jeff Bond of the sports psychologist there because you know, we went to work on that and it's okay, we can we can improve on this area. You're going to get frustrated in these tournaments. And I thought Shape was going to be the easiest player of the whole tournament, and here he was making the toughest for me. And I improved from then a lot and playing fourge, I started really playing well. Villander Jimmy Connors was I had to had a great run in the tournament, and you know, I knew I had to get on top of top at the top of him, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I you know, one of the.
Speaker 5: First set, it was a bit of a struggle serve for the set and he broke broke me back, and the crowd were going crazy because he was here. He was at the end of his career. It's thirty five. I mean, you think thirty five back then. Now you're looking at jocol it just thirty six and Murray and still going it or barely still going. But you know, thirty five. Yeah, it's old, but it's not that old, I suppose now. I always had that opinion as well, but but you know, the crowd were really getting into it. So I ended up getting through Jimmy, playing really well at the end and getting into the final. I felt very confident against Yvann. I'd beaten him in his Train Open. My shoulder wasn't great during the Austrain Open semi final. I wasn't serving nearly one hundred percent, and and I beat Yvonne, and I figured, well, if I can beat him now that I'm fully fit, you know I've got it. You know I should do it. But it's one thing wanting to do it, another thing actually doing it. So a new Varne was going to be tough. Hit the ball harder than just about anybody. Probably Boris Becker was the hardest hitter, but you haven't hit the ball really hard, and so I just had to try and make him volley and try and put it together as best I could. And it was you know, there was two really tight sets that could have gone either way.
Speaker 4: You mentioned playing against Paul Paul mcnamie, and that was such a tough match for you. I mean, Izzie. Camaraderie. It's always such a feature of Wimbled and through the generations. It must be pleasing for you to see that that still exists now.
Speaker 3: It should do it? Really should? I think it.
Speaker 5: I think the camaraderie came back in the early days when the guys would travel together for months and months and months, and yeah, of course they'll incredibly competitive, but you know, there wasn't I suppose there wasn't a lot of there wasn't really money in it, so they had you know, it's like, well that element of uh, you know, lifestyle, I suppose didn't really come into it.
Speaker 3: You know, if you know, if I lose to it, I was your first round.
Speaker 5: Then you know, I get, I get, you know, a decent check, but you know, all of a sudden he's got a really good check. You know, I want, I need that, you know, I want to pay my coach and and now I can't type of thing. But but and I know I've always been raised to help the young, younger players, or younger people or or whatever. Maybe it's just in me as a young young father that I always wanted to help people, but it was installed in me by the older guys Neil Fraser and and and and whatever, and and I think that's that's uh, that's really important. And then the big world of business and everything else that goes on, there's always going to be friction between people and players and and whatever. But at the end of the day, you know, it's about people coming out there enjoying tennis and having a being able to have a shot.
Speaker 4: You know that I was his spirit also translated to you for Davis Cup. You had some great success in Davis Cup. You must be proud to have had by individual heights and team heights as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Davis Cup was just awesome.
Speaker 5: You know, just looking back at those times, they were probably the most fun times in my career. Also some of the most disappointing, because you know, you don't perform well for your country, you feel really really like you've let down your mates and your country. And you know, I was fortunate enough to have a great team, and you know, certainly in eighty three when I first came on the circuit, you know, I'd watched John Alexander play in the Davis Cup and he was a bit of a hero of mine. And I want to model my serve after Ja, and you know he did well. And remember seeing beat Panatta in the Italian White City at the semi finals of Davis Cup.
Speaker 3: You know, that was that sort of an endearing moment.
Speaker 5: I can I can see I can actually see in my mind Phrase holding up Ja's hand and it's sort of half twisted over at the back of his head. J looks completely drenched in sweat, looks exhausted. But big moments for me and Jay. When I came on the circuit, Ja was still there and Brad Drewitt was, you know who became a good friend, The late great Brad Drewitt is a friend of all of us. You know, we were sort of Orange boys with Peter the mac is the Supermax and playing in Perth against you know, MC and rain was coming out. That was that was great moments for me and I always wanted to play from for my country and got the opportunity the next year, and you know, we had a we had a you know, a great mentality and of you know, we'll just give it a shot. We've got a good we've got a great chance here. We've got playing every match in Australia. But you know, let's see how far we can go, and we always we dedicated ourselves to this, and.
Speaker 4: So many of those moments were on a grass court. So Bossie's and grass, it's a pretty special thing, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we had I suppose we've got some DNA from the throwback now now that not down play a lot on the grass.
Speaker 3: And I mean, what a great line of teachers we had.
Speaker 5: We had everywhere from the sedge Frank Sedgement all the way through m O. You know, Ken Rose was here yesterday and you know, I remember vividly watching Ken Rose was back and I've got videos I help him on my phone saved in my favor So I show my player how players how to hit a slice back in and when they start chopping on the ball, go check this out. And this is how hit to slice back in. And you know, you know the new curve of course, and Roachie the doubles, and you know, we just had a great line of teachers that teach taught us and Neil Fraser of course, that Davids Cup captain is you know, was you know, the most beautiful left handed serve. I watched watched some of the old video and some photos of him and I now know more about technique. I honestly, there's a photo at Kuyong that is worth anybody going past and watching. The phrase serve mid serves action is absolutely poetry in motion. It is the most technically perfect serve I think I've ever seen. It's and it's and that was some phrase back on those days. And you know, he's so we said, great teachers on the grass. They knew how to play on the grass. So you know, I was bloody lucky to have those sort of guys and barkers. Of course he was a play He didn't play top, top level international stuff, but he played all the country tournaments and you know how to play on the grass.
Speaker 3: And now it's more hard caught play on the grass.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see somebody tearing in and really getting around the net and making trouble for the players there. They're quite you know, he takes a lot of courage to be a serving volleyer because the risk is, you know that you have to hit the ball really close to the net on the volleys, and there's a lot of lunge volleys, a lot of low volleys. They have to skim over the net. I don't think the players are brave enough.
Speaker 3: To do it. I mean, it's quite simple. Are they a bunch of chickens?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it takes a lot of guts to go in there.
Speaker 3: Is it stupid?
Speaker 5: Maybe it's a bit more stupid these days because you're going to get passed. But there's still absolutely an opportunity to do that, and hopefully somebody who will come in a big serve volume who can really volley. Now there's some big serves a volley ish, you know, but you know, it is easy to pass. The rackets and the strings make it easy to pass and lob Lobbing is the worst thing passing because you usually hit the ball pretty hard on the pass it's reasonably flat, but you're a sucker for a lob and guys like Andy Murray use these new strings to they hit the ball which would drop at least three or four five feet out in our day. With those strings drop in now buy a foot you know, that's how much spin the ball drops and you're a sitting duck. So yeah, the game's changed, there's still elements to you know that this is still a grass court.
Speaker 3: It's still pretty.
Speaker 5: Quick and as far as I know, I know, I talked to joke with my players.
Speaker 3: They go, well, what do we do with the modern game?
Speaker 5: It's and I said, I look, take them out on the grass court and I go, can you notice something different about this? They go, oh, I didn't don't know. I said, well, well guess what. The net is the same height and the dimensions of the same size, and you've still got the same damn rules as in my day.
Speaker 3: So let me tell you how it looks. It's usually a bit of a bit of a oak.
Speaker 5: But I often do that with a player who's coming on a center court match and the young players coming on.
Speaker 3: I come out the gast have a look at that center court. Tell me what's different.
Speaker 5: They go, oh, the stands, or oh the umpires, chairs further back, or seats of this and that.
Speaker 3: Have a look.
Speaker 5: There's something to have a look? Tell me and they oh, they're always picking something else. Let something else out. Oh, oh the line's being going to be further back. And say, no, no, no, keep looking. What's the difference.
Speaker 3: I can't see anything exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: It's the same damn sitees got the same size net, So don't worry about it. You know you've been playing on this for years, you'll be fine. So it's the same thing. On the grass court, it's still it's still a grass court. It's still pretty quick and not and maybe on days like today, but when it gets hot, it's the grass is as fast, if not faster than back in my day, more like Australian Open.
Speaker 3: Grass bouncy fast.
Speaker 5: I'll probably get that towards the end of the tournament, but definitely not today.
Speaker 2: So Pat Cash talking about the summer and the heat and how the ball bounds differently during that period, and there's obviously a lot of rain there at the.
Speaker 3: Moment, very very different conditions.
Speaker 1: I would be guessing very different. And I'm also intrigued to know where Viv and Pat sat down to actually do the interview, because it sounds like it was in a thoroughfare something and some pretty famous people milling around.
Speaker 2: Well. I loved when he stopped talking to Viv w Hey McEnroe, like I'd want to catch you a bit later. It just felt really, really natural. Absolutely, so I hope you enjoyed that as much as we did. Matt and Viv will be back again next Monday, and in the meantime you can listen to myself and John and the team this Thursday on the AO show.
Speaker 1: Weekly and details for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and it's always please subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 2: See your later, Brak, see yeah