Speaker 1: Here at Two Good Sports, we would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast.
Speaker 2: The were innerie people.
Speaker 3: This land was never seated, always was, always will be.
Speaker 1: Greetings and grand salutations. You have caught Jelmy and I practicing our curtsies, dear listener, because on this week's episode of Two Good Sports, things are.
Speaker 3: Going a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: I'm Georgie Tanny, and I'm happy.
Speaker 4: To tell me and Georgie, you know, usually we do good sport bad sport. Now we ask each other about our weeks. You tell me about the celebrity you've interviewed.
Speaker 3: The Prime Minister is coming in to talk to us.
Speaker 1: Anthony Albanezi is coming into the studio. He is a fan of this podcast, a huge good sport.
Speaker 3: He is a good sport and also the leader of the nation.
Speaker 4: So we have so many questions and this has been born from the most Two Good Sports way that we could possibly ever secure an interview with.
Speaker 3: I don't know the Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister.
Speaker 4: Yes, I slid into his DM but and it wasn't unsolicited. Albow followed me. Okay, I wasn't even following albo at the time, and I will apologize.
Speaker 3: For that, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was a lead up to an election, a very pointy election that you'll all remember that was as one sided as a Grand Final between Richmond and GWS.
Speaker 3: But it's a.
Speaker 1: Tailor as old as time.
Speaker 3: It was about a month before the election.
Speaker 4: He was in full campaign mode and I've looked at my Insta feed and it said one follow Albow PM, blue tick, blue tick because this wasn't and I've just I'd be like, what fan account is this?
Speaker 1: And then Jelmy's like, I think it's the actual Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: I screenshot it and of course sent it to our Two Good Sports.
Speaker 4: What's happened? When thoughts anyone thoughts do we do? We think, yes, that we could get him on the pod. So I went with hey, elbow, smiley fast.
Speaker 3: That's the bit.
Speaker 4: That's the bit that made it so legit, so legit. Thanks for the follow, love that you're keeping up with all things sports. I want to float something past you that I think you'd be perfect for. I co host a podcast called Two Good Sports with Georgia Tunney. It's all about shaking up trucial sports media, La la la, but essentially that's the pitch, and it ends up with hope we speak soon, another smiley face.
Speaker 3: You got it because I'm a woman and that's how I write an email.
Speaker 2: Any ellipses in there. You got to you gotta take big swings, Joel.
Speaker 1: We've got to take big swings, and this was arguably the biggest swing.
Speaker 2: On two good sports that we've ever taken.
Speaker 4: Our Prime Minister replies with, let's get this done. The emoji with sunglasses, good bye emoji, and I throw my phone across the room and at this point I'm going suitable response this this could actually I just had a fe this is gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is actually gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Lo and behold.
Speaker 4: He then becomes a very very busy man, and there's also a media blackout when he's in Melbourne because the dear Pope passes away and it just wouldn't have been in good taste for him to be doing a sports podcast in that time.
Speaker 1: You know, he might look back on that and be like, oh, I wish I could have been here sooner.
Speaker 4: The election comes and goes Georgie and we think, dah, it was all a ploy.
Speaker 3: One of the votes of the two of us see the two. That's the way that he's clearly, clearly going about this.
Speaker 1: It's a small play from him, but I see, I see where he's going.
Speaker 3: He has followed up and he's coming in.
Speaker 2: He's coming in, He's coming in.
Speaker 4: How are your nerves? I'm genuinely I'm a bit nervous.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited because one thing that we all know about Albo. Yes he's the PM, but he is also the number one ticket holder for the South Sydney Rabbit o's he's.
Speaker 2: One of mine.
Speaker 1: He is a league he says rugby league, not rugby league.
Speaker 4: I think that I'm going to be able to claim him as AFL.
Speaker 2: We can't be fighting in front of the Prime minister.
Speaker 3: Do you think he could settle the debate?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Good? But again yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Our good sport is the Prime Minister who's up there.
Speaker 1: What they say, politics and sport should not mix. But as you're very well aware, dear listeners, we do things pretty differently on this podcast.
Speaker 2: As such, we argue that two are inextricable.
Speaker 1: The politics of sport can be more convoluted than explaining soccer's off side rule to your friend who doesn't really follow the game, but does remember Jonathan Reese Meyer's eyelashes in bend it. Like Beckham, the sport of politics can be more cutthroat than Queensland coach Billy slader Zax falling on Moron's captain daily Cherry Evans this week, But someone who knows all too well the wildness of both is our guest today. His passion for the nation is second only to his passion for the South Sydney Rabbitos, which is apt because you could say if the club had to be a politician, it would look a lot like Anthony Alban Just like the Rabbits. Albow came from humble beginnings, raised by a single mum and Housing Commission. The same working class heart that beats in South Sydney beats in him too. Albow didn't grow up with privilege, but he made it to Parliament House in the mid nineties, wearing his beliefs on his sleeve like a red and green jersey. Perhaps not as flashy as English, but certainly as fierce as Latrelle Mitchell, specifically in round ten this year against the Broncos, which was impressive, but I took it as a rude personal attack from Redfern to the lodge, to our studio. Would you please welcome the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Albernezi to do good sports.
Speaker 5: What an introduction.
Speaker 4: Just stop then, it's been great to have you, thank you, thank you so much and that's all we have time for today.
Speaker 2: No, in all seriousness, PM, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Absolute pleasures.
Speaker 2: It's wonderful to have you here.
Speaker 4: We can look at your background in your history and understand where South Sydney came from.
Speaker 3: Why the Hawks, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because there's a relationship between the two things really right. So as a kid growing up, I used to play football in the South Sydney comp and then the Eastern Suburbs Comp and I'd go to my uncle's who lived in Melbourne for a while in the afternoon and watch the I think every game began at ten past one, the match of the day of the VFL, and you couldn't go for the Pies because there was Western Suburbs Magpies, Richmond Tigers here in Richmond, Balmont Tiger's, Saint Kilda Saints Saint George the Animal Alignment game now were the only team that had no connection. Because I'm after all, who would pick brown and gold was the Hawks and this was as well showing my age here. The seventies was an amazing era. So if you're a kid pro the Swan's coming to Sydney, South Melbourne moving up and I loved watching AFL. I played rugby League, but I love watching AFL. My son played AFL for the Newtown Swans. I made my AFL debut in the Community Cup reclink that takes place here at vic Park handsOn. My advice to listeners is, if you're going to make your AFL debut, make it before the age of fifty, not after. You can see here an extra little joint on my little finger from a broken that happened. That happened Hanson Park last minute.
Speaker 3: With his body on the line.
Speaker 5: We're leading, but I had one KPI which was not to get injured, and of course me being who I am, bit competitive. Funnily enough, he's got a mouse kind of how you get to be PM, you know, is we were up by you know, three or four points, less than a goal a minute to go and it's flooded as well. It's a bit loose in Sydney, so it's twenty a side, but for the last little bit there's forty a side on the field like people just runs in and so I stupidly through my body on the line and make a tackle, my one tackle and came out of it with a finger going horizontal rather than a vertical.
Speaker 3: From the GI pop it back in yourself, and I popped it back in.
Speaker 5: I popped it back in. We won, went to the part as you do, and then went to Bowmon Hospitals.
Speaker 1: A classic sale PM of anyone who goes to do social sports in their adult life and then they come out with Achilles.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we do talk about social sport and having you leading into the Hawks game this weekend, because you're at the game on the weekend. You went in the huddle, you predicted almost to the yes, the margin that the Hawks were going to win by, and so we just believe you're an oracle in this.
Speaker 3: Have you got any other predictions? And also we want to know.
Speaker 5: Sam Mitchell is very keen on me turning up at every game.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 5: Every time I have turned up, they've won, whether it was at the g or at Marvel or indeed Aurora. Are there what's it called now, dann at Lonnie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for a bit wherever it was at Lonnie, But do you like the character in the game. So for instance, in that game, Jack even got a little bit of stick for the fact he showed him the.
Speaker 5: Ball, so you love it, of course, and the fans love it. I got a bit of you know, whether it's that or or just to upset one half of the team here when Latrell from halfway and casually while the ball was still rising, turned around and casually just walked back like you know, I had to for the halfway line.
Speaker 1: Didn't even celebrate. It was the celebration.
Speaker 5: Gi Arrow jumped on him.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: It was awesome. And after after the game in the in the sheds, I know Latrell pretty well and he was congratulating me on the election. It was the week after the election. You know, we won by a bit more. We didn't need a field goal, I pointed out to him at the time. But I mean, he's just so cool.
Speaker 2: He's also the size of a mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think maybe one of the biggest people I've seen in real.
Speaker 5: Life is very big. When him and Tommy Treborovich were the centers for New South Wales like these, yeah, they're giants, so is so is Greg English as well, who I think who I love dearly and is a great human being. And he's doing fantastic things on mental health. Yeah, and he goes around and particularly in regional areas of New South Wales and Quinston speaks about his mental health battles and through the Goanna Foundation, he's doing enormously good things in the community.
Speaker 1: Just made me remember remember his try celebration go on.
Speaker 4: I know that to declar here, I grew up in Perth, so I'm not an NRL girlie. I essentially get all my tutoring from Georgia before I'm about to go and have to talk about it. But if we were to put to you that you could only watch one code for the rest of your life, is it legal?
Speaker 2: There's a correct answer, Albert.
Speaker 5: I was born Arabia league.
Speaker 3: Bam, I just say you'd be a hockball man.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can be both.
Speaker 1: But if they're only going to watch one for the rest of your life, it's rugby league.
Speaker 5: But a FL to watch live particularly is so good. The first Grand Final I went to was eighty nine Hawk's Feed You Long. I was right up literally up the back of a stand that doesn't exist anymore, and there's a block of Hawks supporters and a block of Geelong supporters throwing things at each other across.
Speaker 3: The much has changed, by the way, that's still the.
Speaker 5: Corridor, you know, kick nine in a losing side. It was amazing. It was actually easy to get Grand Final tickets in Sydney in those days, and it was in Melbourne because the way the allocations happened, and there weren't as many fans.
Speaker 3: Living in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Finally, come on, you're going to talk sport al, but you've got to be.
Speaker 3: About it.
Speaker 1: On just to hark back to the personality business for a second, because oh, yes, I agree with you. We love personalities in sport. Do you feel the same way about personalities in politics?
Speaker 5: No? Not necessarily. You know, do we really need bunter rejoiced to stop in parliament?
Speaker 4: But really do you like him to a bit of a jack in a bit of a not necessary?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Anything that I said now would insult two people. So I'll raise the bat and let the ball hit the keepers.
Speaker 4: We love a put Well, here's another one that unfortunately we're not going to let you.
Speaker 5: I do I break the record, by the way, for most number of sporting puns. On third of third of May, you're at the MCG, on the ground of the MCG, and you know we're kicking with the wind. With time on in the fourth quarter, they were kicking out on the fall.
Speaker 4: No wonder he wanted to come on to We were chosen to be at the MCD.
Speaker 5: We were taking marks. You know, we're kicking goals. We needed to keep the momentum.
Speaker 2: We've got the bounce.
Speaker 5: I was such good fun.
Speaker 4: I did say in our intro to this elbow that it was the most one sided finished since the twenty nineteen Grand did a d We.
Speaker 3: Didn't need to get to the last quarter.
Speaker 5: That was a bit sad. It was sad, but there've been a few blowouts.
Speaker 4: I've got to say, we just want to have a contest.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: But while while we are talking about AFL again, the politics and sport they always mix, and if we are going to talk about the stadium in Tazzi, that seems to be this real lynchpin that's been a topic of much discussion, the fact that Tasmani are going to yet another state election.
Speaker 3: We get another to the polls. Again, where do you stand on this?
Speaker 4: In the AFL demanding that there needs to be a stadium in order to allow that nineteenth license, do you think that's fair and where do you stand?
Speaker 5: We support a stadium not just because of of what it will do for AFL, but for what it will do in Hobart. In twenty and twelve, as the infrastruction Missleigo, the government got fifty million dollars to the Tasmanian government to do planning for the mcquari Point site. Now, if you look at all the waterfronts around Australia, industry was always located around water because you chucked all the rubbish in the river or the waterway or the harbor. The Macquarie Point site is unbelievable. The Derwin is a magnificent river, with due respect to the Yarra.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh, don't you worry, Albot. I've had some choice words.
Speaker 5: Dear respect. The Derwint is magnificent. Hobart's a great city. It stops and then there's basically what's a rubbish dump that has been there for decades. Now you need to have a proper urban development project at Macquarie Point, you know, the driver of urban development projects, so as part of a precinct, sporting, hospitality, residential, the full bit. It will bring the CBD down to the river and open up the city of Hobart. So it's got to be viewed from that perspective, not from the narrow one that it's just somewhere where footy will be played for home games for the Devils.
Speaker 1: And is that how we go about justifying the cost.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, that's how you get some of the costs back through private sector development housing. It could be amazing if it's got right. Yes, and yes, the state government down there for a long period time dilly dallied around. I went down there about a year ago. Now it is exactly the same as it was in twenty twelve, thirteen years later. You literally had to watch where you're walking because this just not even not even a dirt road properly and it's an unbelievable pristine site. And just like Mona for Tasmania was opposed and transformed, it did that city. People go there and they go there not just for a day, they go there for a period of time as well. We when I was Infrastructure Minister last time, we funded utahz Or Aurora Stadium. It was them which is for to that at Lonnie so that the AFL games could be played there. So it's being upgraded as well. There's one hundred and thirty million dollars for that. We're putting in half the funds to upgrade that so that games can be played in the North as well as the South. But you know, they need to just get on with it. And I think that truly know a state that's produced you know, to Hudson just to name one, but so many fantastic.
Speaker 3: The rewolves in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Richardson, and people want Tasmanians also want their kids to stay in Tasmania. So you've got to build the economy. You've got to and academies change things, and it's a it's a great way to do it. So yeah, it tastes two. I think it's up to two hundred thousand members or something we did.
Speaker 3: Driving around. It's a real thing.
Speaker 4: The fact that they almost have the most members in the league and they don't even have somewhere that they just bizarre. But it just goes to show the love of it all, which is I think why as external. Obviously we're not in Tasmania, but you look in and see how divisive something has been that we can all look at and say a stadium should be something that's celebrated in the is something that should be celebrated. But you have someone like Eddie Maguire out in the last forty eight hours saying that if he was appointed chair of the AFL, which we know that he hasn't been, the first thing that he would do, and this is a direct quote, is get the Prime Minister in a headlock and violence against Albo Australia says no, yeah, absolutely, but he's essentially saying that for the Tasmanian government to fund this stadium is unfeasible because of the funds that they don't have available to them. That so much funding will go to Brisbane because they have an Olympics and they need to be building this amazing stadium, that the federal government needs.
Speaker 3: To dip into their pockets for this stadium.
Speaker 5: What say you to that we have dipped in our share and it's capped. But the Tasmanian government, going back to mac Point, we go money. Yeah twenty twelve, nothing happened with it. The Tasmanian government are in the position to manage the project, to do uplift, to do private partnerships with housing, use that money to help fund the state him all of that. And so we've made a contribution to urban redevelopment there. But we're not an ATM, you know, and because if we act like that, what you'll get is no proper management of the project. And we're not going to ongoing run the Tazzy Devil's football team or run state planning and all of those issues, which is why our contribution is substantial. At the time we made that contribution, it was opposed by the federal Liberals and state labor in Tasmania, so it was a big call by us. I did that cooperatively with Premier Rockcliffe because I supported the urban redevelopment at macpoint and we looked at the case that's there. They just need to get on with it and get it done.
Speaker 1: What happens, whatever the outcome of this election may be, whether it be rock Withefe or not. And if there's a phone call to you and it says Albow we need more help.
Speaker 5: Our funding is capped, you know you've got to You've got to draw the line and bring some responsibility in unless you do that. Same as our funding for the Olympics in Brisbane, which has changed about four times, what they are doing, what we are building, is us saying this is our money is on the table. We have money for nineteen separate precincts as well as we have money for the arena project. If that isn't going ahead, which appears that it's not from the new plans, our money is still capped for what is happening, and you've got to leave a legacy. Part of the idea of the stadium in Tazzi is that it will allow major acts, yes who come here, to be able to play in a stadium. If you had a stadium that had twenty three thousand seats in Hobart, ax would go there. It would transform the economics of the way that Hobart functions. Tasmania has so much to offer. It's beautiful, stunning state, every bit of it, but it needs economic activity and one way you bring economic activity, as Melbourne knows yes, is by having events.
Speaker 4: The viability of large scale events is something that we've discussed at length in this podcast and a bugbear of mine was the comm games.
Speaker 1: That happened, you know, and just this one. She's very mad.
Speaker 4: I love my track and field, I love the comm games. I love how I feel when I watch Australians win on the big stage. But we're just not talking about Australia here. We're talking about the Football World Cup having to be hosted her over six different cities because it's just not viable for cities to build the infrastructure with the cost of living pressures and what taxpayers actually want. Are we genuinely in danger of potentially down the track something like the Olympics needing to scale back in order for cities and countries and governments to see it be viable.
Speaker 5: I don't think so, because they are such important events, but you do have to have a bit of common sense approach to it as well. There's a bit of a debate going on at the moment over the Olympics. We'll wait and see where that goes. I've been meeting with Andrew Liveris as well as with the Queensland Premier Christal Fully about where it goes. For example, you know, are we really going to do rowing in Rockhampton on the Fitztroy River when there are some pretty good facilities at Penis Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the Fox girls they yeah, yeah, they're not bad.
Speaker 4: At one point they were beating eleven other countries at the Games, just their family. So I think if we can give them home rapid advantage.
Speaker 5: And yeah, there's a debate over tennis and what's needed there in Brisbane as well. Pretty good tennis facilities here, I'll get just you know, those things need to be worked through. And it might be that, you know, the tennis stadium is built in Brisbane, fantastic. You know, we're putting some money into the Domain Tennis Center in Hobart so that they can continue to host one of the lead ins to the Australian Open in January, and so one of the women's tournaments has always been held there. So I think it's legitimate for there to be proper discussion. But it might be that you just can't do everything in one spot in the future.
Speaker 1: When it comes to your investment, because you genuinely love sporting, so it is something that is at the forefront of a lot of your policies.
Speaker 2: You've invested.
Speaker 1: The Albanize governments invested in a lot of women's sport and women's initiative, which we thank you for that. Why do you have such an affinity with sport? Where did the sporting love story begin?
Speaker 5: Just because of who I am? I guess, as you said in your intro, there's just me and mum at home. I guess one way, if you haven't got a father figure, a father around, or brothers or sisters, one of the ways that you engage in social activity is team sport. So I've always loved watching sport. I love playing sport. I still play in the I played for marrackvill in the Sydney Badge Tennis comp and played a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: What have we learned from social sport? Elbow election?
Speaker 5: Twice since the election we've had two wins Marrickfood. It's a low division, but it's great fun and it's a way that you engage as well. And for me, for example, you know, I live in a fairly strange world with pressure. If you're on a tennis court, the Badge coomp is four sets doubles three hours. You don't have your phone on, you're not looking at it. You simple game, hit the ball over the net between the lights and don't let bout swice just to be clear out their kids and for that time I find I feel healthier and for kids growing up as well. We want kids to get off their devices onto the netball courts, the tennis courts, the footy ovals, swimming pools, whatever, doesn't matter. Team sports are particularly good, I think because they teach kids how to win, how to lose.
Speaker 4: Yes, no participatient medals for everyone. Sometimes in life.
Speaker 5: You go, I agree. I think it's completely When my son played junior a f L, you know, and they wouldn't keep score. What nonsense.
Speaker 6: The kid knows because they're going to get out into the real world for a job and not get it and be like, but we didn't keep scoring, where's my gold for trying exactly to lose?
Speaker 5: And you've got to learn how to lose exactly.
Speaker 1: On that though, are you now? I say this with love because I describe myself as this. Are you a feral fan in that when you're watching your team that you love, do you.
Speaker 2: Get vocal or you passionate?
Speaker 1: Are you screaming at the television saying we need to win Georgia?
Speaker 3: Do this? George is a dirty Queensland. If that hasn't been any clearer.
Speaker 5: Of a shocker, I I go, yeah, I have to be a little bit careful these days because there are sometimes cameras on you. Yeah, so when South are plying like I went nuts when kicked the field goal, and yeah, I do all of that, I yell and you know, I thought it was terrific when Ginnovan did the ball.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, because well, you talk about getting kids off their devices. You can't tell me that kids aren't doing those little gestures in the backyard pretending to be Jack.
Speaker 5: Dar And it's just fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're not a fan of the flipping the bird thing.
Speaker 4: That there's limits the players feeling like they need to do that to the crowd, but like, come on, grow up a little bit. But I think if it's good, harmless fun and character, that's what we want.
Speaker 5: You spoke about the goanna after the try. It was twenty fourteen, eleven years ago. You remember it.
Speaker 1: Albo having another existential crisis all theirn.
Speaker 5: We weren't playing Brisbane either, but you remember it because it was one of those moments. Yeah, took the square to thirty to six, oh wow.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, when they didn't that much of enough, ye I'm outnumbered about numbered absolutely.
Speaker 5: I can tell you you know all of I got tested in one of that. I was in Brisbane doing an FM radio and they're like, oh, well Souse, you know bye, you're a real sort of fan, you know what. And I was like, eh, was it the seventy one Grand Final? My my mum took me on the hill and they're like, oh, who was in the team? Then I named it one to thirteen amazing? That was That was it. I'm a nerd for those.
Speaker 4: A female equivalent of you've got a band shirt and they say tell me one of your songs. You're the prime minister and you wear the scarf and it's like, oh yeah, we'll tell me who plays.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I will sit down here.
Speaker 5: I got sledged for oh, well have you just adopted the Hawks? Because I did the song. Sam Mitchell made me do the song. Also we love Sam Mitchell in Loney and And so I said to someone who I got asked about it because I got sledged by someone on I won't name them. I will hold it against him, but I won't hold judges. I do absolutely well, that's what what sport? If not, that's holding the occasional grudge.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Thurston I will forever love and hate for what he did to me in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we don't go.
Speaker 5: How good was that? Sorry? It's a field goal thing.
Speaker 2: Really is?
Speaker 4: It really is our boat one day and so I went, it's a VFL scarf carry out.
Speaker 5: It's so old. I've got a few of them, but the old one I try to wear to games because people it brings that nostalgia back.
Speaker 4: And it's the we love sport because of the joy and also for the fact that more often than not it's not hurting anyone. So much of life can be and especially news and politics. Things can be difficult, and there's winners and losers, and of course there's winners and losers in sport, but as a whole especial we saw with Neil Danaher over the weekend. Yes, you canslutely someone who just galvanizes everyone and brings them together.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeah, yeah, no an incredible choice is Australian of the Year and just fantastic what he has done taking what's you know, personally such a tough situation and turning into helping others. I mean, he's a remarkable Australian but does bring people together. And it does. When South got kicked out of the comp they were moving motions in Parliament and all that, and it was about people were like, oh well, you can just follow another team, and I was like, you don't get it.
Speaker 3: You don't understand.
Speaker 5: It's about your identity. It's about that sense of belonging to something. And for so many of South supporters it's all they had in their life. People were telling me, you know, people coming up we had at that stage on the board. We used to have these long meetings, We had one employee. We were all putting in our own money to keep the show going, the campaign while the court cases were on and all of that. And you know, for some of them, they just didn't understand. It wasn't like oh, well, you know, you just get a different brand of chip or something. You know, it was for them. And I know a whole lot of people who still haven't forgiven the perpetrators of that crime for kicking us out of the comp and the fact that the Bears people supporting North Sydney. I mean they haven't had a win since nineteen twenty two, twenty one and twenty two were their last successes, but they've held on through generations. People say to me, you know if they have usked I as your son supports a Sydney and I say, yeah, he had choices, but he chose to sleep inside, you know, very clear options.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying is exactly how Georgie feels about it all because Robert.
Speaker 1: Is a Storm fan. Absolutely not children.
Speaker 5: Mixed marriage, genuinely. I met Jodie through through being in Melbourne at an event and I got introduced by someone who was a Canterbury Bulldog supporter and they said a good person. I was a guest speaker at this dinner and they said, only one thing wrong with him. He's a South Sydney supporter. And so I stood up and I said, you know there's always even in Melbourne, there'll be a random one, always one, And Jody yelled out up the rabbits, that's how woman.
Speaker 2: Literally, and you thought she is there, she is.
Speaker 5: I went around, my only one around, went around the tables and met her there and then ran into her. Didn't know she was a Sydney cider fully then and went around and then she was another event. She was waiting for a super company at the time. A few weeks later and she was there again.
Speaker 1: So what I'm hearing is that Greg Engliss is going to actually marry you.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Well, I've got to tell you, Jody, I would have had no chance if Greg English, none, none, whatsoever.
Speaker 3: It's form that I loved that.
Speaker 4: Not only was she a fan, but she's our sort of woman that at a formal function, by the sound of it, was like.
Speaker 3: Up the bunny, Yeah you're where is she? Where is she? Let me find you? And we went in the fall. That sounds like just amazing.
Speaker 4: But you do talk so passionately, and so do we about how much sport means to people. And you mentioned there that for some people the buddies might be the only thing they.
Speaker 5: Have in center community and belonging. And how you remember, I mean I took my son in twenty fourteen when he would have been thirteen to the Grand Final, and when we won, and my mum taking me in seventy one, there was that real sense of my mum had passed away by then, that real sense of family and all of that identity so important.
Speaker 4: Given that there's been a lot of uproar and it's been the first time this year that it's happened where for free to air AFL it's behind a paywall on Saturday. So if your team's playing on Saturday, and that might be your one thing that you love and you look forward to every weekend unless you've got sometimes twenty five dollars a month, which for Australians at the moment with cost of living, it's the first thing that goes. It's the first thing that feels like an excessive extent.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: And even on a bigger scale, we've got the soccer US who qualified for a World Cup and there wasn't the scenes in fed Square because it wasn't really promoted. And then you've got the World Test Championship overnight and I'm like, do I need what.
Speaker 3: Do I needs happening? Where do I watch it?
Speaker 4: Is that something of national importance that we can fix?
Speaker 5: It is it's hard to fix, hard to unscramble the egg and today's media is really difficult. I was at give them a free Atus, the broadcaster of AFL, was at Channel seven last night opening their new headquarters and one of the things that you know, I identify with going up as a kid. The reason why I'm an AFL supporter is because it was on TV on a Saturday afternoon. No one played AFL I knew, and it wasn't on any local oval. There weren't AFL goals up and so it is an issue. It's one that my government is big supporters of free to air. We have done any ciphering rules. It's complex because you do need funding for sports and all of that. But one of the things that I think you've correctly identified there is that some of the offshore owned platforms don't promote things. So the cricket, for example, at the moment that's on and I was stayed here last night in Melbourne. I was looking up the score on the cricket.
Speaker 3: And you're like, Australia all out, where is this? Like where Test Champion?
Speaker 5: You can't find them. It's an issue. It's an issue. I'm not over promising a solution, but it is. It's a challenge.
Speaker 2: You're looking into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, we have done a whole lot of measures. If it was just up to the sporting codes, I think you would see potentially a bit less. It's one of the challenges that we have when dealing with sports free to wear, are they issu isshoes? Which are raised? Which including what happens on free to air advertising, et cetera. Those issues. They are all interlinked and they're not simple. I've given Anika Wells the really easy task of being the Minister for Communications and Sport.
Speaker 1: It's a portfolio.
Speaker 5: She is really passionate about it. I mean, we have the two hundred million dollar funding for women's sport, the largest ever funding for infrastructure. How you get all of these things done are really important. One of the things about take the opportunity to say it here because it's pushing against an open door, is sometimes when we fund sport, people say, well, you know, but what about health or education. Sport helps health and education. It keeps your physical hospital bills down in spite of the odd sport injury, when there's mental health issues out there on the rise. Sports so important not just for people who played, but people who watch as well as an impact on them. It helps contribute to economic activity by people attending sport, playing sport, watching sport in hospitality venues as well. It helps with education as well. One of the best things that my government will hopefully be remembered for in terms of soft diplomacy is the NRL team in P and G because in order to play NRL, you're going to go to school, You've got to do all of these things are going to be linked in to their education and aid programs as well. Will it will make an enormous difference in P and G to uply living standards and the economy and opportunity there as well.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems like we are aligned in quite a few things. PM and I know that you get pictures a lot, probably every second of every day, so Jellmy and I wanted to take advantage of that because you talk about sport with such passions, so do we We love covering it. We're federal fans like yourself. Can we get a mandate from you that two good sports should be the national correspondent when it comes to any sporting events?
Speaker 2: So we're talking any.
Speaker 3: I was hoping to lobby for the Olympics, but.
Speaker 1: Olympics, I'll take any Can you see do we need to be those people? Surely on the ground of what do we need to do.
Speaker 5: To get this? I can't think of anyone better. See what I did there?
Speaker 3: Though, give him some type of think and you'll come up, come up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like we're not over promising. I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that, I said, but we're going to run with that.
Speaker 2: We're going to run with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you're seeing the news elbow, but I might be looking for work, so I.
Speaker 2: May need I may actually need a CV reference from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I need you, I need you, I need the PM's backing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, she was devastated by the project going. I've got to say her major news source in terms of watching all though since she's been with me she has to watch more.
Speaker 3: The consumption might have slid a little bit.
Speaker 4: Georgie, through work, recently met Tom Cruise, who was the Rocks, and she flew to Japan.
Speaker 3: Georgia gets to meet all the cool people to Japan to meet.
Speaker 2: Trump, as you do.
Speaker 4: If I was Prime Minister, and one of a myriad of reasons why I will never be is that I would use my position of power to make sure that I don't know, if Roger Federer was playing in Australia way back when, I would have made it mandate that I had to shake his hand. Is there any ministerial power that you've used to meet someone in sport where you've.
Speaker 3: Gone, well, I need to be injected somehow into.
Speaker 5: These I would do anything to meet Roger. I, you know, have such a I have a man crash on Roger Feder. I love the way that he played the sport. If I could do one of his backhands, just one now, the way that down the line, I would be a very happy person.
Speaker 3: He didn't get the chance to meet Roger.
Speaker 1: No, this will we manifest a lot of things on this and one of them sitting is yourself. This is living proof. But what we can manifest things?
Speaker 2: So who would you? What's the what's you know? You're having a dinner party? Who's there in the sporting world?
Speaker 5: Roger?
Speaker 1: Roger obviously ye fed express he listens, he'll be there.
Speaker 5: Well shall I pick Lauren Jackson? Is great fun, she is awesome g.
Speaker 1: Of course of course yeah, yeah, they go anna he's got.
Speaker 5: To be there now at the risk, buddy.
Speaker 4: Buddy, Oh okay, so we're going beyond three continue of course, more more of a table than three can work out, right, right.
Speaker 5: Sham kerr. I do get to do some things that and occasionally they slipped through without people really noticing how how much of a personal decision they are. For the King's coronation, I had to pick rather than for the Queen's Her Majesty's funeral, people went from Australia overseas. I said, why don't we save money and pick Australians who are based in the UK. Now, this one did save money, so completely justified economic rationalism responsibility.
Speaker 7: But I got Sam Kerve to be the flag bearer at the King's coronation and that to me was like yeah, And I was waiting for the backlash from sort of some of the far right sort of people going oh my goodness, you picked this, you know, person with characteristics that I think are just fantasty.
Speaker 5: That goal that she scored in the semi I think it was I will cry.
Speaker 3: That was like speak about goals in a loser.
Speaker 5: That was like wow, you know.
Speaker 3: And also the a cl that never hears Also, I loved it.
Speaker 4: The way that you justified different things that I don't know parliament level is the same way that I try to get things done at Technically.
Speaker 3: I didn't lie. I was the most viable.
Speaker 5: Choice, but there was a shame curve as the flag bearer and Nick Cave.
Speaker 3: It's no one read the teeling, but we should have.
Speaker 1: The diagram is Albow's face. I see.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, we were going to ask you some of this, all that questions. But I feel like now that we know that Sam curves up there.
Speaker 2: We had we had, we had Mary Fowler, Sam Kerr.
Speaker 5: Mary's great. But seriously, that that goal is the soccer for me is below Regula and AFL. But that goal is the best goal I have ever seen?
Speaker 3: Did you see it in real time?
Speaker 4: To be prime minister, I'll just take that part of.
Speaker 5: Penny Penny Wong and a wells will be hi with people. There were people falling over yeah, into the rose in front. It was just chaos because it was just such a people didn't expect her to take the shot. No, he expected one more touch and it was just bang, was perfect, perfect, So good warning Ponting. Oh look Warne. I loved the way that he played, and I you know, I went to his last test at the SCG. As you do. People tend to finish their careers at the SCG. You know, McGraw, warn Gilly, all of them, Steve wore so yeah. But but punter right. I love the fact that punters from Melbray outside.
Speaker 3: Of line, they'll tell you they they'll shut.
Speaker 5: Your working class community. And so I met Warnie, but I know Ricky met him quite a few times. So I'll pick Ponting.
Speaker 1: Well Cleary John's and by that I mean Nathan and Andrew.
Speaker 5: Nathan and Andrew. What about Maddie.
Speaker 2: No, we've gone. We've got we have to make tough decisions here, so it has to be.
Speaker 3: We'd also have you for another four hours. We realized that we.
Speaker 2: Are run Joey or Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 1: Joey, Oh yeah, I see that quick one, because.
Speaker 3: He's not an immortal yet and will he be?
Speaker 5: Cleary will be absolutely four Grand Finals and he dominated, Yeah, unlike when he single handedly basically turned a gamer out.
Speaker 3: They were gone, don't Georgie still can't talk about it.
Speaker 1: I almost named Jeremy's unborn baby Ezra.
Speaker 3: She did?
Speaker 5: They were gone?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I genuinely text Georgie and said, well in good news. No team in history is ever lost from here, And I think you can point the exact moment Nathan clearly decided to put his hello a challenge to kick.
Speaker 2: Look, but if he tried to block it out.
Speaker 4: If then you wanted to advertise the game to someone who was that it was normal.
Speaker 5: The best individual performance ever.
Speaker 1: In a Grand and been a part of Jewish, the best Grand finals we've ever seen. And they happened to lose both of them, but we were there.
Speaker 5: You've won a lot. We went forty three years between seventy one and twenty fourteen. You coming up to twenty get over it.
Speaker 3: Get over it, broncos other.
Speaker 1: Personal attacks to magic, get over it.
Speaker 3: Very quickly.
Speaker 5: We gave you Adam Reynolds.
Speaker 3: And he's broken and we thank you.
Speaker 1: We thank you for that.
Speaker 4: You gave him Adam Rentles thinking what he's got like one season left coming up.
Speaker 1: To he's still goes Benjamin behighest point scorer in the league ever.
Speaker 2: I think at the moment we gave.
Speaker 3: You Adam, actually Warranton gave him away.
Speaker 1: Why it's actually true.
Speaker 2: It's true, and we accept him with open arms.
Speaker 3: We love the very last.
Speaker 5: It's been a good mentor.
Speaker 1: He has, he really really has, he really has.
Speaker 5: He'll be the new Gibney and he gets to play half the time.
Speaker 1: What we need is for him to just rebuilt as a terminator just all completely bionic and then he'll play for nine years.
Speaker 5: I was so pissed off that we let going to say I knew you would be he love that, I said, I love it him and a J. When when a J was going to go, I drew the line. Really, I drew the.
Speaker 4: Line, PM, just quietly. When you draw the line doesn't mean more than say when we draw the line, because when you call the club and go enough is enough.
Speaker 5: I am now loving very hard for South Sydney to play at Alliance. It is a joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: How many clubs play at the MCG, you know and Marvel basically all the Melbourne teams all just the latest. Yeah, I mean, for goodness, fully taxpayer funded, fully taxpayer funded by New South Wales taxpayers. They let the Waratahs play there, they let Sydney f C play there because you know they're not sous but sous. It's in our home areas More Park where I played under sixes and under sevens for Saint Joseph's camping down with a little bunny on my jumper even though it was a black and white jumper.
Speaker 3: Wait, so who needs to approve this now?
Speaker 5: Just the stake I have. Let me tell you, let me tell you this will be a source of ongoing and Steve Camper. We opened the new terminal at the Western Sydney Airport yesterday. I said to your mate, how's alliance?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 5: Fix it I have. Oh it's really hard, he said, For goodness sake, what's hard about. You've got a facility. I mean it cause fantastic. If there's eighty thousand people there, Yeah, if there's fifteen thousand people there is for.
Speaker 4: Soulas you're great on television, you're not good in person.
Speaker 1: Such a good stadium, Such a good stadium. We've got two more things if you be so generous with your time.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kathy or Thorpey, this is our last he saw that.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, and that's like choosing between the nation's goodness.
Speaker 3: I know this is the hard hitting. We warmed you up. We warmed you up.
Speaker 1: We knew the Prime ministership was going to come with challenges. It's got hard questions.
Speaker 5: It's got to be Kathy, Yeah, it has to be just because of that moment and what it means.
Speaker 3: Remember where you were.
Speaker 5: I was outside the stadium watching it on a big screen.
Speaker 2: Amazing in your defense.
Speaker 5: And you could hear the roar as she turned around into the strait. You could just hear it. And afterwards you just hear the cheer, which was inside and outside like a lot of people work around the stadium at the time, there were big screens and stuff.
Speaker 4: I still can't the pressure, the goosebumps. And then she addressed the matildas it was before the world come and she spoke to them about feeling that pressure.
Speaker 3: And it's amazing about the joy I have.
Speaker 5: In my elected office in Marrick for a photo signed by Kathy at that moment.
Speaker 3: She's at my dinner party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think she's.
Speaker 2: Actually spiritual, Like do you know what I mean? She just has an aura.
Speaker 5: They're friends, you can have both.
Speaker 1: He knows good, good good to go back to know now PM A lot is always made of Prime Minister's sporting ability, and for good reason. And I gotta say, I mean, you know we've got John Howard with that bowl.
Speaker 5: Well, come on now, Thank goodness, it's fantastic, because anything I ever do there will always be something worse.
Speaker 2: Kevin ru playing hamble, No, he can play hamble?
Speaker 3: Could he he can?
Speaker 5: He's okay?
Speaker 3: From John Howard, we'll get back there.
Speaker 2: Scott Morrison tackling defense the children.
Speaker 5: You know, that was a moment in the election campaign that made my path to the lodge that much smooth.
Speaker 2: As a bulldozed in front of you.
Speaker 5: What's incredible was that he had said, describe himself as a bulldozer.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and then he bulldozed a child.
Speaker 5: Just it's a child. Let them win. I mean, for goodness sake.
Speaker 3: We kissed the ba and we let the children win.
Speaker 5: As well. Telling about this conservative right when conservatives just you know, for goodness, oh wow.
Speaker 1: But does that honestly, does that just it does take some of the pressure off because you would be in so many photo ops with like an assortment of sporting takes.
Speaker 5: It totally off. Well. During the election campaign, my team, some of whom may have sporting capacity that I'm not aware of, none of whom have shown any capacity to have as much a nerdy interest. Let me put it that way politely. Given they will listen to this podcast, they constantly have this oh my goodness moments. So we have a charity cricket game at Kiribilly, the Prime Minister's eleven and so Brettley running in, knocked him, knocked him to cheek. It was yeah, it was with the tennis. I was with the tennis ball and and and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: He wasn't he It was Bollywood Bradley.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he is a friend of mine. But they do get horrified whenever I agreed to do stuff because you know that one time you because John Howard. Well there was but that was a moment that was heroic throwing myself in for a tackle.
Speaker 1: But they get worried because John Howard.
Speaker 5: They get worried because all of these things. So during the election campaign, literally would have been thirteen days out. The second last Sunday I did the Footy Show and so Andrew John's and Freddie Fittler. We're doing the Past the Ball competition. Yes, I saw the now five in row five row.
Speaker 2: You really didn't.
Speaker 5: I was a half back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did you say, Joey, please, I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: Got But they were like, oh my god, you can just see the look of my press sect of horror.
Speaker 4: Because we can do so much work that can be undone in sixty seconds.
Speaker 5: Of not getting one in. We've done an interview that was really good and we talked about my love for South and they'd shown photos with me with a little They've done all of that and the rally and everything else, and it's all about to go to Custard in the past all competition. So yeah, but you do worry because the one you get wrong, of course, is the one that they will show it on TV over and over again. But John Howard got more than one. That was it is it is risky to do sporty things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can totally.
Speaker 5: I had. I was in Bendigo when it was a minister playing. We're announcing a tennis funding and they brought up this junior player, a young woman or girl, she was thirteen or something, and my team said you can't win, and I go, oh, it's okay, you know, I'm especially she slaughtered me. She was so good, she was so good.
Speaker 3: Turns out it was ash party.
Speaker 5: She was tiny, she was tiny. The power that she got in her stroke for phenomenal. It was so good.
Speaker 4: Well, you've taken on two women in this podcast and you've still won.
Speaker 3: You've smashed us.
Speaker 4: Because we've absolutely loved having you on and we just appreciate the fact you would come in and visit us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how fun. Fact is that the PM is a fan of this show.
Speaker 5: And good fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, genuinely listen to us and you've made it onto the pod.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for you being you DM me.
Speaker 3: I did, Albo, you followed me first, I albow.
Speaker 4: I really want to put on the record that that's not usually my formal level of communications, not with the PM, with anyone.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: It was just I saw an opportunity and I went for it.
Speaker 2: What was it, Albo? Was it the d M? And initially or was it her smiley face in the first line?
Speaker 5: I got no, no, the d M, and I said to my team, I want to do this. This is great. And the fact that they I drove my team mad, the fact that I saw it, and that I do I do do many of my own social media. Austin sitting in the corner there pretending to smile but deeply hurt by my crying. If you see Toto, my dog in any total, that's me, you know.
Speaker 3: The cool.
Speaker 2: Indonesia They loved it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, They're all They're all made occasionally. So I was going there. I went, I want to do this one. This is a fun one.
Speaker 4: You have blown my mind that you saw the d M, because I just thought someone on his team has seen.
Speaker 5: We don't really mind look at it all, Albow Albert. I don't normally either. I've got to say I don't look at the comments.
Speaker 3: Is the lead up to an election? Yeah, lots of.
Speaker 5: Time on planes and things you're actually looking through?
Speaker 2: What would you come on again?
Speaker 5: Of course?
Speaker 1: Great friend of the show, Anthony Albanez it right right after I do Offside, I was yay, let's okay. This is how we manifest things, Elbow.
Speaker 2: Only we knew someone on.
Speaker 5: Off Side you will exactly.
Speaker 3: You can categorically confirm that we will get you every week forever.
Speaker 4: If you'd like to come on, that is not a problem, not a problem at all.
Speaker 3: We would love to have you.
Speaker 2: Oh, this has been so wonderful.
Speaker 1: We like to finish our episodes, as you would know PM by saying, be a good sport?
Speaker 2: Would you?
Speaker 1: Would you do the honors this week until next week?
Speaker 5: Be a good sport? Yes,