Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: From the Long Weekend. Congratulations to the forty team that won down in Victoria. I couldn't tell you because I don't watchfl get into it. That is all set to change next year when you redacted TBC guys, would you pray for a virtual assistant for sixty three cents a day?
Speaker 2: Sixty two?
Speaker 1: Actually I wouldn't pay for either, but we've got to talk about it. We're gonna talk about organizational areas and apps generally.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's a trap like I've been thinking recently. All the things, all the things in our lives currently that have sought to give us this sense of convenience have made us really dependent, but we're actually trapped.
Speaker 1: If you drop me. We come here a lot every time I use my map.
Speaker 2: Oh that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I know why I drive you, so don't get my name addiemoth.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Don't bite the hand that feeds.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Firms on cater.
Speaker 3: We know you love when we come through with a few psychological sociological sociological is that the word terms. I've got another one for you. We've recently discussed the sassy Man apocalypse. If you're not really familiar with what that is, we do have a podcast flex and frooms everywhere. Get could podcasts go there. But now we're talking about ugly privilege. Up until literally a month ago, I'd never heard of it. I had considered it maybe briefly once upon a time, but really got to the nooks and crannies of what it is to have ugly privilege. The term I did not come up with. The concept came from Reddit to shout out to those people. But I think in order to really understand ugly privilege, we've got to understand pretty privilege. Okay, So pretty privilege is a term that the Internet has coined broadly to describe the benefits of being associated or conforming to society's beauty standards. So like the privileges that you get from being pretty in the way that everybody can objectively see is true, thin and nice teeth and clear skin, young young, that's a big one. That is a big one. Our glass body jacked v line all of the above, and the pretty privilege. The privilege in itself comes from what we call the halo effect, which is this idea that we judge people who are physically attractive as being more good, or we apply positive characteristics to them, and when people are not pretty, we assume worse of them. So you might inadvertently feel that someone who is more attractive is safer to be around, or funnier, or smarter or more successful than their ugly counterparts. Now, in this reddit thread that I found, it said, what are some underrated ugly privileges that you have that people might not necessarily know are true? And so I'll read them out. One says, as an introvert, I enjoy that people don't pay me attention when I walk into a room.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I said, okay, okay, let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: When someone loves you, you know it's because of your personality major key, let me put let me put everything down for this, I said, let me actually read this whole threat and through. They said, no one will sit next to you on public transports, so you have more space for yourself.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: Not getting cat called and having to worry about a man acknowledging me in public, not worrying about losing your looks as you age, mastic stuff. People don't consider you a threat in the work or dating landscape. You might not get positive attention. People don't think you're inherently untrustworthy or too power hungry or too ambitious.
Speaker 1: What in the world this is great?
Speaker 2: I said, There's always something to know and consider.
Speaker 3: So that being said, we've talked a lot about beauty standards and the kind of futile attempt to be so in line with them, because they will change quicker than you can change to accommodate them. You know, for the last I don't know, five years, it's been the hourglass body, the big boobs, the small waist, the big But now we're going back to stick thin. We don't have the metabolism to keep up. But what I will say is that it's kind of it's kind of validating this idea that if you don't subscribe to prettiness, there is an inherent privilege in being ugly if you so choose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of side quest benefits.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love the one of like what was the one that there was a real good one there? Oh yeah, people loving you for who you are as opposed to huge, and that never goes away like huge you could only you know, by certain standards it's only gonna get You're only gonna get more powerful in the ugly space as life goes on. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most charismatic ugly person a room full of people who love you. They're obsessed every joke Land.
Speaker 2: Wow, there is Yeah, there.
Speaker 1: Is something in feeling like you've got nothing to lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm not sure that's the full ugly experience, but it could be. Yes, positive, I must confess. I think I just experience my first soft seasonal depression. For the last three months, I think I'd been ultimately fine. I didn't know there was a problem until spring had sprung. The sun was out, the sky was blue. If you're from Sydney, might be thinking it's like that every day.
Speaker 2: I moved to Melbourne, Babe, Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 3: I moved to Melbourne, and though I would spend the majority of any given week still in Sydney, even though I moved, something about waking up to gloominess was really getting me down in a way that was only physiological. Oh, my body was affected and I didn't I didn't know my mind was following. So how do I know that I'm out of what I was in the night? Our behavior is back. I've been going to bed at midnight for the last three months. That's not me, babe, that's not something's wrong. Yes, for me to not be for me to be asleep before midnight, something's off, because like ten to three am are my hours of activity.
Speaker 2: I'm pumped.
Speaker 3: I'm learning my little my little crow, I'm reading my little books, I'm playing my little games. I'm writing my little journal. Haven't done any of that. I've been a ghost. But I just thought it was like I'm growing up. Maybe I don't have hobbies anymore. Yeah, maybe I'm a carcass, the shell of a person. I unpacked and cleaned my whole house in three days. When I say unpacked, I mean I moved states and left one whole room just full of things that did not have a home that I would get to eventually. And in my head I told myself stories like, oh, it's gonna take ages, I'll do a little bit every day. It all got done in a day. And I didn't just clean.
Speaker 2: I deep cleaned. Yes, I spring cleaned. I donated well in a day. Didn't think to call me first rapes.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I did think about a lot of the things at the time, but I was just so stuck in getting it done fair enough, fair enough. The admin of it all was just so gratifying.
Speaker 1: I do still want your Suku two piece if you ever gonna fel I literally was wearing those pants yesterday.
Speaker 3: Goold see, so there's still some life in them, Okay, but it'll come to you. What I will say is that I did some search on seasonal depression because I was like, is that what happened to me? Because as you all know, I don't have a great mind body soul connection.
Speaker 1: So you say, as we all know, I'm not the one that has a mental illness, because it would suggest so by.
Speaker 3: The door, it would suggest I'm not the mentally ill part of the duo.
Speaker 2: But I could be. I could work on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mind, body, mind, body soul. Yeah, connection is just it lacks. My mind goes first, my body comes later, my emotions come way after that. So I was doing some googling why do I suddenly have energy? The first thing that comes up you might have been experiencing seasonal depression. It's categorized as feeling less like yourself.
Speaker 2: Lah lah lah.
Speaker 3: There's no clear cause of seasonal depression. But less sunlight and shorter days are thought to be linked to a chemical change in the brain, and maybe part of the cause of it melatonin, a sleep related hormone. You can get a deficiency of that, apparently allegedly in the coller months when there's no sun, and that could affect you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: All that I know is that winter is canceled. I can't do another one. I've got to make sure that I'm somewhe where those sun because I just I'm even speaking faster. We need to run the tape back. I was operating. Even my catchphrase the last three months, I would say people, I'm operating on zero point two five speed. I know what happened operating on zero point two five. Now I'm back, bro.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm scared to move back to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: No, it's sunny there now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like the winter, the grainess never goes. It can be the heat of summer.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, the vibe is different. Okay, I promise you have stunt a freak me out. And I was loving it in winter, at least I thought I was.
Speaker 1: That's the way it always goes. That's the way it always goes. I love looking at what targeted ads I get because it is always indicative of a whether little misters Mark Zuckerberg thinks I'm a really make you reflect on yourself and think you're putting things out in the world that suggests you are unwell or I just also, like you know, I studied advertising. I like seeing who's doing the ads send. Lately, I keep seeing those pig Whole Project things on the back of buses. You know that, like the Pigeon Project whatever.
Speaker 2: Not familiar, guys.
Speaker 1: I still know what it is because I haven't googled it, but I've seen those ads for like five years. I'm thinking, what is this product? It's not like an AHM moment like where they get all the money jam the health insurance.
Speaker 2: Let me just have a look at the free press.
Speaker 1: I know, the Pigeon Project.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait up, guys, A lot of the ads I get are just for mindfulness, ADHD related stuff and time management.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that is what I'm doing. Sorry, that's what this is about. Is I got Also, guys, have just figured out The Pigeon Project Australia is founded by j C Doco, which is to help our partners and ourselves understand the way the people like you interact with advertising.
Speaker 2: Work selling your data.
Speaker 1: Stop it anyway among little instea moment and I get a ad looks like this.
Speaker 3: It looks like a chat right for the screenshot of a WhatsApp thread.
Speaker 1: And it says, girl, you need Motion. It's sent from Julie. Then Julie's mate says Motion. Then she says yep, so worth the points sixty two cents a day. It's basically an AI assistant that helps keep your life in order. No more forgetting or messing up your schedule.
Speaker 2: I need this.
Speaker 1: And the kind of like whole thing was like you have ADHD, like here is how to help it. And I can be thinking like would you pay.
Speaker 2: Fifty sixty two cents a day?
Speaker 1: Would you pay sixty two cents a day for an app that an AI assistant?
Speaker 2: Did you download the app?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Pay?
Speaker 1: I don't have sixty two cents a day to pay to spend. I just go back from New York. Babes the amount of money.
Speaker 2: I told you.
Speaker 3: It's the same I told you I spent thirty two Australian dollars on a hot dog at a festival, not not I'm not talking artisanal bores.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like a red red.
Speaker 1: Dog is Brahor's like brad Hoas.
Speaker 3: I think, I don't know damn Anyway, I love downloading downloading an app. It's one of my favorite hobbies. I'll download any app. I'll pay for any app. But would I use it for its functionality? Probably not? I think where for example, if I had ADHD. I'm not diagnosed and that, but if I did, and I was getting an app that was going to help me be more efficient, I think that my lack of efficiency would be setting up the app to help me be more efficient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: All the things i'd need to do, the like the dedication required to make this app actually work for me is too.
Speaker 2: Much the barrier.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm learning the rules to a game. Yeah, I don'tenough time exactly all the where.
Speaker 3: With all emotional I feel like you should have downloaded it though, I'd love to get a little one too on too but too late.
Speaker 1: Now you know my life changed, FLEXI when you told me that if you're not paying for an app.
Speaker 2: You are the product.
Speaker 1: You are the product.
Speaker 3: But in this instance, sixty two cents a day.
Speaker 2: So maybe this is a product that might.
Speaker 1: Work, but like, obviously it's an AI, so obviously they're going to be like taking all the girlies data.
Speaker 4: Anyway to help you. Yeah, you don't want help. No, babes, don't say. What's j Corle saying? Don't save her? She doesn't want to be saved. And that's what all comes back to. There's no such thing as self development.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a nice somber way to leave today's show. Anyway.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The flexen Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune into cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.