Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian Common Show podcast.
Speaker 2: We want to talk about Facebook Marketplace stories, all kinds of stuff you can buy on there. We used to do a feature in the early years of the show, what was the price is right? Wasn't it from weird and wonderful stuff? It was actually we should we should do around tomorrow. Do you remember the one where you could buy a crematorium. Yes, an actual shipping, a very rudimentary one actually by like I said, the math stuff you can buy. Uh, let's do that tomorrow. The Facebook Marketplace price is right. But right now we're looking for your stories about Facebook Marketplace. Jack has a great one for over Christmas.
Speaker 3: Because I've been busy on there selling stuff since we moved here. I've noticed and putting up.
Speaker 4: How can you see what your friends are selling? What have you seen? Patsy?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's furniture, old old armchairs, and I love about that. She's been watching a gold merchandise.
Speaker 4: There is. It wouldn't surprise me by the way.
Speaker 2: You know, when you were talking about regifting and he was saying, how you regifted something that was sent to.
Speaker 4: You with us?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was Sue the boss's Christmas present to you, she emailed me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, she one day night I meant to have a private word in they go and say something that private word is now public word.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she went. Did he do right? She said? Did he mean that on purpose? But I got that for you, and.
Speaker 3: I thought I was sent by a company.
Speaker 4: See the boss pay for he regifted it. He's actually choking with his cheapness.
Speaker 3: I can't run into her today.
Speaker 2: So I know you're listening. Come into the studio at ten past. Stake her reconciliation. Otherwise you two can be in a public park and my money, my money is on sue the boss and take you down ten times out of ten. That's the way that fight goes. We see alive by the pack of cats she's got.
Speaker 4: Where were we?
Speaker 3: We're selling stuff on market pace past, he said, it's all tap.
Speaker 6: I was selling a quite good quality Weber barbecue ten years old but still working well.
Speaker 3: I thought it was.
Speaker 6: The guy came over and he was such a people pleaser that he tried to give me the money before even seeing the barbecue, saying I'm sure it's fine. I'm sure it's fine. Here's the money, and I resonated with him. Because I feel like that kind of people pleaser if I was going to someone's place to buy something. So we got two people pleasers come together, and I'm saying, no, no, no, please, come come through seat. I'll turn it on you. You can see that it's working. I'll give you the gas bottle that comes with He said, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 6: If it's fine, I'm sure it's fine. I go to click it on click click click. It doesn't light click click click. He's watching me. I'm down on my hands and he's click. I'm looking at the wires. He said, I'm sure it's fine.
Speaker 2: Still want to Still walks away with a barbecue that clear doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, well, you want to know that it works.
Speaker 6: He goes, I can smell the gas, so if anything I first comes to worse, I can light it with a.
Speaker 4: Mat Oh my, sure work out. Well.
Speaker 3: So he took it.
Speaker 6: I didn't get it working. He took it, and I asked him. His name was Marley, lovely guy. I said, Marley, if it works, can you let me know because I want to know. But I haven't heard from him in the week.
Speaker 4: Probably Human Fireball the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Last It's got a very sound one here. He's emailed in with this quite the story of this poor old.
Speaker 4: Las Hi Christian.
Speaker 2: I bought an iPad from marketplace and pretty sure was stolen as the seller didn't.
Speaker 4: Provide a code to my market That is dodgy ass, Christian.
Speaker 2: It was my first Apple product, so I had no idea how that works. So now I just have a three hundred and fifty dollars paperweight in my drawer. Police couldn't do anything about it. Apple didn't want to try and take it back and find the owner. Have all the interactions with this seller and information I passed on to police, if you'd like to go through it, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: Lars. Last, for some reason gets quite into the story.
Speaker 2: I was a bit sick and tired the night I picked it up, and I just want you to know that wouldn't be taken in normally like this Last.
Speaker 7: That was.
Speaker 2: One thing we say on the show is that listener Last is not an easy mark and probably one of Melbourne's toughest guys to do.
Speaker 4: The sharpest man in the world. Last. All right, then we got Candy on the line. Good morning, Hi, how are you. I'm good. What is your marketplace story?
Speaker 7: I sold a large glass table with smacking chairs on Marketplace and the people that wrapped up I go from the measurements and everything like that in an event so they could make sure that they could get it right. They wrapped up in a tiny hat bag. Engineer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, car, And I'm like, I gave you it's a wardrobe. And this lady going to go. I'll get in ill. It's not good. It's not good. It's not going. It's not going it. I then had to put the back of my car follow her to her house.
Speaker 6: I've already that couch that you mentioned a moment ago that I was saying, yeah, chair, I had to put it on the lady's roof because she came in a small park Lord. She couldn't even fold down the seats at the back. She had baby seats in there.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 6: I was like, this is not going to fit. So we had these rudimentary straps that we were trying to put on it. And she said, I'm on the I'm in the next suburb, so I won't got in any major highways.
Speaker 4: All right, candies, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: She called, it's got to Belinda, Good morning, Belinda, good morning.
Speaker 8: So I actually met my husband a marketplace.
Speaker 2: This is incredible, So he did you buy it?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 8: I wanted to buy a round, four seat table for me and my three kids, and I saw the ad for fifty dollars with delivery, accepted it. Next thing I know, he dropped it off, and over a week or two we just messaged back and forth. And then one day I went to the local ourselves with some girlfriends, just in karaoke, and he walked in the door. Even though it's never been to that, the four and the rest is history.
Speaker 4: To a few. All right, midnight stalker.
Speaker 8: The best thing about it all was my birthday was six weeks later, and for my birthday present, he put my fifty dollars back in the card.
Speaker 4: Oh, such a lovely story.
Speaker 8: We now have a four seeded table for a family of seven.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is a lovely story. To tell me this. Then so he drops the table off. And then who sort oft was was there? Was there that instant connection? Did you feel some sort of chemistry?
Speaker 2: There no defining from the table slammed or.
Speaker 4: The kind of you getting married?
Speaker 2: And there's three more spots around the table everyone's got.
Speaker 4: A story like, yeah, there was just something about nothing.
Speaker 8: That there was no instant attraction, but there definitely was. Uh once he was at the RSL.
Speaker 2: So it's one was at the RSL you saw him in a different light or something. Yeah, and so what were the messages you said? Do you like a beg of all beg and that table is great? Or did he stand one going hey, hey, you getting on with that table? How about a few more kids around him?
Speaker 8: He did send that, he said, I hope the table's well lucky. I dropped it off because someone smashed into my car and into his van. So a week later he accidentally messaged me, oh.
Speaker 4: This guy, this guy Lars would never fall it for this.
Speaker 8: And then I messaged back and I said, hey, how's your band? Because I need a treadmill that needs to be delivered. Are you able to do it if I pay you? And he goes, I'll do it for free, no worries. So he delivered a treadmill to me. To be honest, I have never used the treadmill.
Speaker 3: And was there any sparks at the treadmill drop off?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: We spoke about the state of origin and yes, he spoke to me the whole.
Speaker 4: Time he was at the game Romantic.
Speaker 8: I look five years later together and you know, at the table.
Speaker 2: But then that is a lovely story. We send you price. Thank you very much for giving us a call. It's a really really nice story.
Speaker 8: Awesome, have a great one, guys.
Speaker 2: Christian Connell's show podcast Amanda, Hi guys, I love your show.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Amanda.
Speaker 1: I was on Marketplace looking for a bookcase for my grandkid's playroom. So organized. I found one sort it'd be perfect organized. My husband and his work ran in a trolley to go around and pick it up. And he gets to the door and the late lady hands him the bookcase. It was a little bookcase that fitted Beatrice pot of books.
Speaker 4: In it, more like books.
Speaker 1: He was showing barras he d me up and was love and love.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 4: Basically he could have fed that on the car seat.
Speaker 1: The passenger said, yeah, oh she had it in a plastic bag.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious, Amanda, thank you. What's called no?
Speaker 8: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Well? Remember that fan for the cigarettes.
Speaker 9: Steve, good morning, Good morning gang, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 5: My first ever attempt at Marketplace.
Speaker 9: We were renovating a pool a couple of years ago and replacing it. And there were all these old brick papers all around the pool, and there were over a thousand of them, and this guy was going to charge me in absolute fortune to take them out. And they take him away, and my son said, I whack them on marketplace.
Speaker 5: People will buy.
Speaker 9: Anything and literally put them on there for free. And you had to pull them up yourself and take him away yourself. They lasted fifteen minutes, and this poor couple came around with an old toyter camera and removed over the next two days, over a thousand bricks from around my pool. And I felt so guilty I had to watch it. I had to give him a hand.
Speaker 3: I felt terrible about watching the window.
Speaker 9: Understating having a cold bee while he's bussing his absolute.
Speaker 4: Guts breaking work.
Speaker 5: You know what made a hundred bucks though.
Speaker 2: They gave you, they paid you one hundred bucks. So they get two days out a thousand bricks.
Speaker 9: I said that, I said that were free, and he goes, no, no, no, I can't do this for free, and he goes hundred back again, No, no, mate, just.
Speaker 5: Keep his cash. That's sorry, you're doing your favor.
Speaker 9: He would have had to spend five hundred dollars on a new set of suspension for the back of.
Speaker 4: His Carl Camry. Oh, Steve, that's a great story well told. Thank you very much. Steve, have a great day.
Speaker 5: Danks, guys, have a great day.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast