Speaker 1: Hey, this is Christian O'Connell. This is a very different kind of I would even call it podcasts that we're putting out, but it's just something Jack and I want to do after conversation we had and the lead up to and around are You Okay Day? So wherever you're listening to this, whether it's in Australia or it's anywhere else, wherever, you enjoy what we do. Are You Okay Day? It's a great thing. It's a thing they do in Australia once a year, and it's about that. It's about starting a conversation with someone you think might be struggling, whether that's a family member, someone at work, one of your friends. The are You Okay is it's offering them a bridge. And sometimes it's also about asking yourself the same question. And sometimes it's very hard for us to face our pain. We're not very good at that. We want to look the other way. We actually find it easier to help somebody else rather than actually extend that out to ourselves. So whenever you listen to this, if you are struggling, here's a story from Jack post on the show. You might not have known of the last couple of months he's got on or off the show. He's been going through a really really tough but he did something really amazing and courageous. As you're about to hear from Jack, he actually accepted that he was struggling and he got help. And I can tell you now he's in a completely different place. He's actually a better person for it. Our pain can can transform us and actually do us something really really special. But it starts with you accepting you need help. You're struggling. It's human to struggle, it is not human to be alone with it. So when Jack and I started to talk, and we'd be talking a lot over the last couple of months, as you want to hear, we actually went on for about twenty minutes. So obviously for the radio show we need to chop that down, but I wanted to put this out in full. Jack is okay with this because I actually think it could help somebody. I know, eight years ago my life, I would have loved to have heard something like this. It would have made me get help sooner. So if you are struggling at the moment, you can take the small risk, a small step and tell someone around you. There are also services that are waiting for your call. Lifeline is one of them. On thirteen eleven fourteen. Beyond Blue also do brilliant service. You can call them today one three hundred double two four six three six. Do not be alone in your pain. I hope you get something from Jack's story. How have a listened to this? All? Right? So Jack, tell me then about the last couple of months. You've had a really tough time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, actually, Okay, day. I'm looking at it differently this year because I've always thought it's such an important day to have, and I've always tried to be consciously there for my mates and for my family, trying to ask those questions and probabe and trying to find out how people feel. And this is the first year where I'm seeing it from a different side of it, where I've come through something really difficult, and it kind of means something different to me now because there's the people in my life who made me talk about what I went through that really saved me from a terrible space. And you were one of those people. My wife was one of those people, my mum was one of those people. It started when my son was born in March and you remember how gidy I was during the pregnancy, Like I was so excited for it, I couldn't wait. I felt like I was across everything, like I was trying to learn as much as I could about the pregnancy. I was trying to make it perfect for the anchor on the day. And I felt like in my own review, like I did a ten out of ten job of being a husband during that period and right up to the birth. And then something changed after he was born, and it was really strange.
Speaker 1: Hey, take your time, mate, It was some It just yeah, this is all still really happening for you. And I know you are in a better place but now, but you were in a really really you were in a really toughest place because paper where everyone expects you to be. Hey, your son's here, you're a dad, and you have all these expectations and somehow this image of who you want to be, who you should be, and then when you're having a really tough time, that gap between who you think you should be and who you really are when you're struggling, it's horrendous, it's frightening. It pains you into very small. Everything's too big, everything's too much, and you think, well, I can't be I can't be struggling right now IF's just given birth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone tells you, like I even remember you and Patty saying this is like, when your child arrives, you'll feel this like incredible love that you've never felt before. It will change your life. You'll look at your baby and you'll feel like an immense, incredible amount of love. And so I sorry, man.
Speaker 1: You only say sorry. Stay with it. Jack, It's all right, It's okay, mate, Yeah, it's all right. It's been hard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when he was born, I was getting I was bracing for this feeling of like I'm going to feel this crazy amount of love for something that I'm just meeting for the first time, and it didn't come to me in that room. It didn't come to me straight away. I was so excited that he was born healthy and safe and that he came and that Bianc was safe and well. And I felt an immense love for Bianca to seen what she went through during the pregnancy. But to him, I didn't immediately feel a sense of connection to him. And that's really hard for me to say, like I just felt. I guess what I felt. It's just guilt and shame of like bringing this little guy into the world, who are mental love so much and I can't feel that for.
Speaker 1: Him, but chat you can't. You Actually, the pain you feel right now is that you is the love you have for him. You do have love for him, It's just that you had so much other stuff going on. It's a it was a huge kind of moment in your life, and I think you were there was like a part of you was was was ending. It was a painful ending, you know, it's a it's a it's a big thing you've gone through.
Speaker 2: Thankfully that I didn't have that feeling anymore now I love him so much and that but that didn't come for three months, and it's that was a really scary time. And what happened to me in those three months on top of having that feeling is I went through what is called a post natal depression, something I didn't even think that father and new fathers could get. I thought it was something that we had to be worried about for Bianca because I know it could be a high rate of personator depression in New mums and I was and I was the one feeling it to points where I was like some nights, I was sitting alone on like the floor of his nursery, just with my head between my knees, crying uncontrollably, and I couldn't I didn't know why. I couldn't figure out why it was happening. I couldn't figure out why, and.
Speaker 1: He must have felt so. We live in a shame based culture, so you would have felt ashamed. I'm not allowed to feel like this. This is not this can't be happening.
Speaker 2: I felt an immense amount of shame in multiple ways. Shame that I felt like I didn't connect with my son, incredible shame that I felt like Bianca was the one who did all the work. She brought him into the world, she went through the pregnancy, She's the one breastfeeding him, and I'm the one who has depression and he's crawling on the floor. I felt so much guilt and shame and embarrassment about that.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Felt embarrassed that I was a dad who had depression of postnatal depression, and I didn't For the first couple of months of going through it, I didn't even say that I had that, and I didn't want to acknowledge that word. I didn't want to attribute that word to me because I felt like it didn't apply to me. And it actually using that word and getting help and understanding it made it a lot easier to talk with people about it, to talk with my family, to talk with you guys here at the station. It actually lifted a lot of weight off my shoulders, being able to say, like, I'm going through some sort of depression at the moment, even though I pushed against it for so long.
Speaker 1: And it's the hardest thing in the world is to actually be honest with ourselves. Yeah, it's so hard. And I remember when I have my sort of breakdown, it was the why can't I keep my shit together? I felt less of a man, a man that I'm not a good husband, I'm not a good dad. And these thoughts are terrifying. They really, I think they stop you from thinking that you're even allowed to ask for help. They make you feel very lonely alone with it.
Speaker 2: Tell me if you did this like I felt like. As it was getting worse, I just had to clench my drawer and like get through it. Like them, I just go work harder to get through.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember that Friday where you've done the show, but you were there but not there. And I remember looking at you a couple of times, and you were where I was about seven eight years ago, where you were actually hanging on, you know, the same you're hanging on for dear life. You were hanging on to the studio desk. Which is why I said after the show, Friday said, you're really struggling on because I could recognize where I was, and like, oh my god, you poor thing. You know, you must be feeling so bad that you're not having You're not where you should be right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's amazing. I think that people saw it, people who saw it in me before I did, because when you had that discussion with me, and it was a few shows where I really felt like I couldn't cope and I was just waiting for nine am to come just so I could get out of here because I I was feeling just not myself. I feel like I couldn't keep up with the conversation. And after the show a couple of times I just broke out in tears. And I don't know if you remember that there's a moment where you sat with me for a long while after the show and you end up putting your hands on my shoulders and he said you need to take time off the show, and I was like, no, I don't. I'm just tired. It's just like overwhelming. But I'll be all right. And you're like, no, I'm not letting you come in Monday. You're taking time off the show. And I did take two weeks off the show, which another thing I felt a lot of shame for and a lot of guilt about, because I wanted to prove that I was strong enough to come back to work quickly and then I could be here.
Speaker 1: And that language we use, you know, prove to who? Who are you proven to? Actually you're what? Real courage and strength is actually being honest with yourself and people around you. That's real courage. And saying I'm struggling at the moment, I need some how, i need some space. Those are the hardest words to say. It's the being alone with our pain, which causes so much suffering all around the world. It's that, yeah, well, if you had something wrong physically, you were not feel embarrassed about and I'm going to go and see someone who can help help this right now. But why is it with the hardest stuff to be with, which is our own emotional pain that we feel so bad that we were not worthy of getting help. And yeah, I know that if any of this team, or Bianca Kanchu said I'm really struggling moment, can you help you? You drop everything? Of course? Why won't you extend that Why don't we extend that kindness to ourselves? Why do we find that so hard?
Speaker 2: Well, I remember convincing myself during it that it's so funny because you hear this time and time again like this. If I tell people about this, it's just going to be a burden on them. They're going to they're going to think, oh, Bianca is the one who had the baby, why are you going through something?
Speaker 1: Well, I remember meeting who I want to make sure you meet me by the oak tree tangle car. Yeah, I'm not sure if that did help. But anyway, when you were sitting then you actually said to me, look, thanks for it for let me have some time off and you know, I will pay you back. And I remember getting quite tiff, like you don't what do you? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I remember saying the yes, let me took.
Speaker 1: Jack start to my alleger and I was just like, what kind of you mean? You think I am going to go and make a note on my phone and a spreadsheet? Well I won't need that back. Yeah, but we do feel like that. You feel a burden and on a daylight today, are you okay? Day? It's really really hard, even if someone sends you that message. Sometimes all right, right now, there's a part of you is desperate actually screaming once ago. No I'm not, but you're wide about telling somebody that.
Speaker 2: Definitely. I think there's a social implication that you fall into you where you're like, you know what, it's just easier to not burden everybody. I appreciate the gesture, but I'll just say I'm fine. Yeah, And I know that was with me. It took you repeated attempts, I think you or what was happening to me, And it took repeated attempts for me to admit it. Similar thing with my mum, similar thing with Bianca. I mean they saw me during those moments of crying uncontrollably, and you saw me breaking down after the show, and I was still reticent to believe what was going on, but I needed to because you were opening it up and talking about it and just letting it. It takes such a burden off your back. You just can't believe the burden it takes off you. Or already I felt half as overwhelmed as I was feeling when it was really bad.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like someone you need breathing space, and it's like you almost feel like you're drowning it. All your thoughts and all your worries and all the emotions, they're just overwhelming and you need someone or somewhere of slamming it all down and getting some air pockets to just get a little bit of room that you can just expand into, because suddenly you become very tight with everything, don't you. You can strict. You just need an extra bit of space to breathe out and to be able to talk about it and work through it. And you needed that. I needed that seventy eight years ago, but I didn't do it the right way. And so when I saw what was going on with you, it's a chance to be to help somebody, and you did the well. I think it's still incredible you went and actually got help. It takes tremendous amount of courage. It's hard to actually go and accept and go and see a therapist because my first couple of sessions, I was an angry, relactant, reluctant patient. There I was. I shouldn't be here. I thought it was the screw ups. I'm not one of those. Why am I here? I felt? In fact, my dad had to work for forty years and a calf factory. He couldn't do this. What's wrong with me? I'm weak, I'm not a man, all of that cry.
Speaker 2: And then I went through all of that, and you're hesitant to go and see somebody who's a professional, who's there for these things, and they're just waiting to have this conversation with you. But you convince yourself like, oh, I'm going to go in there and say this is me, of like, get out. I only deal with real trauma. This is nothing that you're just being weak. Go suck it up. Of course they're not going to say that, but you you just I don't know why I was so reluctant to go see somebody, but thank god I did, and you put me onto a therapist and she, honestly it changed everything. Telling you and Bianco and my mum about what was going on with me, and then going to see a therapist combined change within a month and within two months it already felt amazing.
Speaker 1: And this is why why it's what you're doing is amazing talking about this right is because actually the transformation, the changes, getting to a different place, a different understanding. It's not about curing it or overcoming it or any of that kind of language. Is actually not as far away as you think it is. When you're really in it, you can't imagine ever being how you were. It's unthinkable. Everything is right in front of your face. There's no perspective, there's no sunny days that you can imagine. It's all glue. But actually, once you start to talk about it, and it isn't is even because we worry sometimes if I say are you okay? What do I then say to the tuner having a tough time, it's actually someone hearing you to your wife and you know, and you go, after they've told you everything, you go, you know what you should do, and they go, I'm okay, now thanks for listening, and I'm quite stressed with this. You need to do this actually is just allowing someone to be heard without being judged is all you need to be you just need to be a witness sometimes.
Speaker 2: And this has made me a better communicator with my wife because now I can be a better listener to her. And I was that person before that try to fix everything as it comes up. But some things you just need to feel and you just need to talk about.
Speaker 1: And you didn't need fixing. Actually you needed to stay with your pain and work out what was behind it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, one funny thing that you said to me during that time is like, you look back on this, you go through it, You'll grow and you'll look back on this and it will it will be a gift for you. You'll see this.
Speaker 1: Gift at the time this guy that's such bullshit, Thank you for trying to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 2: But that will never happen to me. And it's funny, like, in less than six months, I already feel grateful for that experience. I feel like I have a deeper empathy for people. I feel like I have less judgment for people. I feel like I could communicate better with my wife, my friends. I've already had discussions with my friends who've been friends with for over twenty years and I never know they know and they went through a hard time until I told them what I went through this year.
Speaker 1: And what did it bring you? Only ever brings you closer to me. I think it's going to make us feel judged, separated, It only ever brings you. I know I'm closer to you now because of what's what's been going on for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to take those first steps of opening it up and everything. I remember the feeling of everything inside you is going. Just grit and bear it. Don't want burning people with it. But it was life changing and it had to be done telling having you know, having Bianca know about it, having my friends and family know about it changed and the support was overwhelmingly positive.
Speaker 1: And what did you see? You saw that people.
Speaker 2: We want to have people care like I even was worried about the state, like taking time off the radio show and feeling guilty about that. But even so, the boss, you know, like we joke sometimes that she's meant to us, but she was so lovely, she was so understanding. She didn't make me feel any guilt about coming back. Quickly she gave me assurances that my job will still be here when I come back. Having that assurance from you as well, and for you and Patsy and Rio to hold onto the show while I wasn't here and to give me that space, and just but above all, to feel the love from you all, to feel the love coming back in here again, and a deeper connection with everybody who works on the show and everybody who have told I.
Speaker 1: Think sometimes that's what our pain is for, is actually to connect us to people because I don't know about you. Is that I feel closer to friends of mine or people when they do open up and say I'm really struggling at the moment, I actually feel closer to them. Yeah, it's like you connect on a deeper level, you know, And I do with you, and I know. I saw you on Father's Day. It's amazing how Sunday was Father's Day. Yeah, And I saw how you were with Gordon, and I saw how you were with your wife. That's his You've been through your dark knight the soul, but you are in a better place.
Speaker 2: I am, Oh, no doubt about it at all. And I wasn't. Yeah. It's funny to think only three months ago I wasn't like that, and now I can't think of anything but out of love for him, for Bianca, for life like I get zest for life back, looking forward to things again and enjoying doing the show, enjoying doing my work. So I want to thank you, obviously, want to thank my wife. She was amazing through all the support. And if you're going, if you feel like this resonates with you, like you're in a feeling where you feel like you can't tell everybody and it will be a burden for people. People will be better off without you. I implore you to feel what it's like on the other side of just making that first step of telling somebody about it and saying, hey, I'm not okay at the moment, this is how I'm feeling, and see the reaction that comes back, because I think it will surprise you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like you make yourself a prisoner in your own cell with it, and actually the moment you start talking about it, you walk right out. Freedom Actually isn't that far away. It's not easy. You've actually put in work, you know you've got You've turned up every week, you've gone on a sort of therapist, you've spoken to bank, you've you've had very honest conversations. But it's changed everything for you.
Speaker 2: YEA and the work. The work is hard, but it's a lot better than being in that situation where you really feel like there is no physical place for you to be on earth and that you want to disappear, which is an awful, awful feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like sometimes you know, we're frightened to go towards our pain, but actually when you do sit with it and you have help in doing that as well, is there are I know this sounds really odd, but there are these kind of gifts that you get afterwards. There is learning from it. There is actually I know you've changed for the better, which is a strange thing to say out a tough, tough time, but you have. I can just see it been around you last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: And the ability now to have conversations with people that I used to think would be dark and difficult to hear about somebody's pain. When you felt a deep pain, you have an immense understanding.
Speaker 1: It gives you empathy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you come at it with empathy and understanding and go I don't know exactly what you're going through and what you feel, but I tell you what I've felt pain, and I can recognize.
Speaker 1: It in you.
Speaker 2: And that all that connects you and at lists that person up and takes their burden off them, and it shares it.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it will? You are an amazing dad because you've put the work in already for you and Gordon, You're son. Gordon will have tough times later on then and in his life. You will be able to be a better guide, a better dad because of what you've done. You won't be in theory going oh, you just need to do this or think this. You'll go, hey, I know what that's like. You know, here's what happened to me. It will be something that will make you a better dad.
Speaker 2: Thanks for saying that, and I actually do believe that. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm gonna ask you one last question. So if you could go back six months and you know where you were really bad, what would you tell yourself what to people who actually really need to know Jack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would. I would try and tell us, tell him as earnestly as possible. It does get better. You won't feel like this forever because you convince yourself that it's never gonna go away, and trust the process of telling people they will. They will react with kindness. They won't feel you like you're a burden. Burden was a huge word for me during all of that. I didn't want to be a burden on people. Nobody felt that. I only got a positive response from opening up.
Speaker 1: Well done, mate, it's really it's amazing what you've done today. And I'm also I also got to say to Jack Jack's courage, what you've been on the last couple of months is incredible and it's even better seeing you today and just how you are Father's Day, how you were Father's Day a couple of days ago as well. Well done on what you've been through and thank you for sharing everybody.
Speaker 2: Thanks for all your help mate, Thank you