Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Troloo, writer for ozopen dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Jill Crabis.
Speaker 1: I actually got the idea almost by accident to chat with Jill because I was doing some research into the China Open and saw that she had taken part in the first China Opens mixed doubles tournament back in two thousand and four. When the event rejoined the calendar as a mixed event, I thought, that's really cool. It's not very common that there's mixed events outside of the Slams. And then I knew that, you know, since playing, she's gone on to become a commentator as part of the AO team in the World Feed, and I've always wanted to talk to her and she's got a great reputation in the sport. So we set up the interview and chatted to her just as she got back from her commentary duties in the Asian Swing and yeah, we covered a lot of ground. Thank you so much, Jill Crabis for joining us this week on the sit down. It's great to see you.
Speaker 3: It's very great to see you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're absolutely welcome. What attracted you to the college pathway? So obviously you also applied like NCIA singles and couples. I did, Yeah, so cuting through that college pathway. What kind of attracted you to approaching your tennis Korea that way?
Speaker 3: I knew I always wanted to go pro to at least try it, and it was a tough decision to make out of high school because the coach that I was working with at the time really wanted me to go pro right away. And my parents didn't push me either way. Or my parents are amazing, They didn't push me in any sort of direction. But in the back of my mind, as you know, a young kid, I knew how important education was to my parents. So I think even though they didn't tell me you need to go to college, I think that was sort of stuck in my brain just growing up. My mom was a teacher, and so I knew that was an important part of everything. So I think that kind of steered me towards the college route instead of going pro. And I'm happy I did that because at the time I don't quite think I was ready maybe to go pro. And I think, you know a lot of parents ask me if they shouldn't go to college or should not go to college. It's a very individual thing. And I think what the universities are offering now, especially in the States, is you know, you can just commit to a university, you can just play for a year, you can go pro, and then they'll guarantee you can come back and finish your education whatever you want to, which I wish they offered that when I was in Call. I mean, I think that's an amazing deal. I don't know how anyone doesn't just grab that, but I went the full four years. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Also, back when you went was if you left, you left, like you couldn't come back. You wasn't guaranteed come back.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, Yeah, because yeah, then if you wanted to come back, you would have to probably pay for your degree and all this and stuff. So it's kind of a new concept and relatively new. I think it's been offered now for seventy years something like that. So I think it's fantastic if these players can take advantage of it. But for me, like I went the whole four years. I loved it. I think it was an important time for any teenager growing up. I mean, normally it's your first time away from home. You're learning to be independent on your own. It is so hard to if you're playing a sport in college to manage the sport with studies, just timing wise, being able to and then you're on the road competing, and so it's it's a good it's a challenge, but it's a good challenge. I think it just made you sort of stronger and time management, I mean everything. I mean, I think just like sports teach you so much about life. I think that's that was such a good pathway for me, just to get a better understanding myself how to manage everything and prepare myself to turn pro after that for.
Speaker 1: Sure, And I reckon look anecdotally, at least it seems that more players are going through the college pathway. Well rather maybe we're seeing maybe the same number are, but we're seeing a lot more players go on to like have top ten careers like Danny Yeah, like Emminavara's one, John Easner was one. There was there were so many and they're just Americans, like James yeah, like them. Yeah there's hates, but now we're seeing Diana Schnader and we're we're seeing a Ben Shelter, and so many seem to be coming through the college pathway. Do you think all those things you said about its benefits and you know how it can help prepare you, do you think there's more players that are aware that hate this is like a really viable pathway. I don't have to turn pro at seventeen or eighteen, I hope.
Speaker 3: So I think you know, all of them are too, are great examples about how they conduct themselves, how they're able to compete so well because you play so many matches in college too, and you know, it is about learning how to deal with all those failures because you're not going to obviously you're not going to win a lot, you know. I think if you have a player that wins like two to five tournaments in a year, it's considered exceptional year. So you're losing like twenty three to twenty five matches, and so you're just understanding that, Like I said, managing everything, I think being a part of a team, because that's not something you experience as much when you're on the professional tour unless you're playing Davis Cup or Bill Jean King Cup, but that happens. That doesn't happen very often, so being able to work together, teamwork. And the other thing that I think is so great is so many plans are playing longer now, and I almost feel like, oh, I hope that would relieve some pressure for these fourteen fifteen year olds that you don't have to be like number one in the world by the time you're seventeen eighteen, which was kind of I feel like a lot of kids felt that pressure to do that maybe fifteen twenty years ago, But now that everyone is having more of that longevity, I think it gives the opening for players to feel Okay, okay, maybe I can use that year and be okay going to college and I'm still only nineteen twenty by the time I get out. Even if you go for a year, if you go for four years, you're still young at twenty two going out in the tour. If you go four years and get a degree, So I hope they start feeling that that would be more of a viable option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you absolutely right. You there are people that are picking out twenty nine winning their first but like, yeah, there is, it's not you don't have to get it all done straight away.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there's time this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when you left college, obviously you went on to have a great career yourself. You cracked the top forty, you won a WTA title, and you played on the WTAO Tour for more than a decade. How do you reflect on your career now when you think about it, if you think about it, I well, I.
Speaker 3: Get the question a lot, and I mean I do think about it. I think as a professional athlete, you always there's going to be that sense you always wish you could have done more. I mean, I don't think that's ever going to go away. So there's that reflection of I could have done better at this, and I think that's just a natural thing to feel and to think about. But you know, there's there's some coaches and other people I talked to you that feel like I definitely maxed out my career or went almost beyond what they thought I was capable of. So I could view it that way too. Because I wasn't the biggest player, I wasn't the most powerful. That's going to overpower. But when I mean only five foot three, and so it's not like I'm going to dominate as far as power. And you know, so I think when I reflect back on that and what I was able to produce and the success that I had, I mean, yes, I think it was a good career, but you know, you always wish you you could have done a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think you were capable of?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I've never been asked that before.
Speaker 1: Well, just hearing you say that, like people thought that what you were capable of? In your own mind, what did you think?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I My high was thirty nine, so I definitely feel like I could have crafted the top thirty.
Speaker 1: I don't pretty don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, I don't. I don't know if I'm not quite sure if I believe deeply that I could have gotten too the top ten, top twenty. Maybe I think just you know, who I was competing against and what I had, like the arsenal that I had overall, So maybe that. But and I think I felt like I could have consistently got further in slams than I did. Yeah, so I feel like going deeper in the slams, I felt like I could have done that more often than I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did that once, very famously in two thousand and five at Wimbledon, which is what I wanted to ask you about. Obviously, I'm speaking for you to get asked a lot. You're very famous for beating Serena in the third round of Wimbledon in five and reading back for this interview, it turned out that was her earliest Slam exit since nineteen ninety nine, which I didn't remember that, so that was quite notable. I never remember that, is right. Yeah, So do people still mention that match to you?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course they do. I thought it might have faded when she retired, but it hasn't. Yeah, No, I mean, I you know, in the beginning, in the beginning, it was great when it first happened because everyone was very excit for me. My fellow peers on the tour are very excited for me. And then ever since I retired, like it was taught, it's talked about a lot when I come into contact with friends or family or whatever. And then of course I now that I'm a commentator at Wimbledon one year because you mentioned it happened at Wimbland, so at Wimblanne one year. I work for Women in Radio Channel as a radio commentary there, and of course we had to do the five year anniversary of when the ten year anniversary of the So I don't think it's ever going to end, which is fine. I mean, it is one of my best ones of my career.
Speaker 1: But yes, it was. I remember it actually really clearly.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was such a big upset because Serena had won Wimbledon in two and o three and she'd made the finally No. Four, so she was she basically lost one match in four years at Wimbledon or something.
Speaker 3: I didn't even I don't even remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like she was she was had such a good record at Wimbledon and I can't remember what she done and O one, but I know she went she had just years she was just constantly going deep at Wimbledon or winning it and we're so good on grass. Yeah what do you? How did how did you do it? Like? What what kind together for you that day that made that one of your best wins?
Speaker 3: You know, this is a great story. So this is the other thing I wish I would have done more in my career because I really believe that it works. Is First of all, I had played her before, because I played her two years prior first round at wimbled then on Center Court, and I had lost that one. But I had played her at Miami in the quarter finals as well, so Miami I got destroyed by her. But that was the first time I played her, and I think it just felt the first time just felt so intimidating, Like I looked across the court and this is someone obviously that you have looked up to. You know, they have so much success and they won so much. And so the first time I was across the court from where I was like, oh my god, like just had this presence and it just felt overwhelming. So then the second time I lost first round at Wimbledon on center court, and Center Court right away was like it was a dream come true. And I was like I walked, I walked out into the court, and I was like and I started like getting teary eyed, and that was like, oh my god, you're supposed to cry after the match up before, like getting so emotional. But this is what Claire's dream of is being able to make that walk out out into center court. It was so I played well. I lost in stresses, but I played well and it was good performance, so I felt like I hulled myself well. But when I played her in the start of round at Wimbland in two thousand and five, what I did that really stands out to me is I visualize so much, and I know there's so much studies and research on visualization and I cannot I can only express that. In this case, I really felt like it was the difference for me to get through that match because my coach Raj was beside me and he was like, you know, he just like just picture yourself when he matchpoint over and over and over again, like NonStop. And from that moment on, well, first of all, I won my second round against Mortoli and then Serena hadn't played it and she was playing Santangoo. I remember just watching that match and the first good sign was I really wanted Serena to win because I really wanted to play her. So that's a good sign because you want to be able to play the best and you know, be able to push herself and get through that win. But from the moment my coach said that as soon as I was on the court, I VISUALIZEDELF winning match point as soon as I got in the transportation car. I saw myself waiting matchpoint as soon as I got to the hotel, like over I think I must have done it thousands thousands of times that by the time I walked out in the court, I was not thinking anything. And people asked me all the time, like, what were you thinking on match point? I was like, I was thinking nothing, Like it didn't even I wasn't nervous. I think literally I had internalized. I think from that visualization that it just became automatic and the only thing I thought was hit everything to reforehand that I thought. But I was just like and I just don't remember thinking anything or worrying about anything.
Speaker 1: And that's the dream stuff.
Speaker 3: One yeah, and one point during that match, it was a great match. It was a really long point. I came to the net and it was such a good point. We were going back and forth and she passed me down a line. She had a winner, and the crowd just erupted and I just remember thinking, I looked up at this guy and I just remember thinking, oh my gosh, this is what I played for because it was felt so amazing. And I lost the point and that's that's wuhtting you know where you're in a pretty good state.
Speaker 1: I think absolutely well. I have a question visualizing yourself winning match point. Did match point play out the way you visualized it?
Speaker 3: Did not?
Speaker 1: Was it? Was it similar character? No? I know exactly, But wouldn't that be wouldn't that be eerie if you'd visualize the match point and it's like, oh my god, it came true. This is what I did on the match point about you?
Speaker 3: That would be very euny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. You also mentioned beating Bartoli in the round before, because even though at that point she hadn't gone on to do great things, she made the wind and final two years later and then she won it. So you actually bet too Wimbledon champions in that run and made the fourth round of a Slam for that was your deepest run at slam. You made the second week at Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: Is that ye?
Speaker 1: Do you consider that your greatest moment as a player or is there another moment in your career that you think about more fondly?
Speaker 3: Stepped at the top and I have just actually played better against for a toy that Serena like the bar toy match. I just I felt like I probably closed my eyes and everything was just doing what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: It was just a good run. I mean, I think also at the time it was called fed Cup, so Billy Jing King Cup now but playing for fed Cup, playing for my country for fed Cup and for the Olympics also is way at the top two, which Beijing. Yeah yeah, And then you know, I had a lot of other good Wednesday cloisters and you know Dementieva Yankevich, So I had had a lot of good wins. And that's probably the other thing that I would have loved is if I could continue that consistently, having those having those wins consistently.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, what ultimately decided what ultimately soul? You stopped playing tennis.
Speaker 3: So I probably should have retired a year earlier than I did, But it was it was very but the reason I did it was very hard for me to give it up. I love tennis so much and if if you asked me, if I mean, I would do my whole career over and a heartbeat. I just loved it. So it's a very hard decision for me to come to. I think it was my coach that was the one that first started recognizing that, you know, my competitiveness started going down. He felt like I didn't look like I was enjoying myself as much. So, but I got caught up in this sort of weird year where I I loved being on the practice court and I all I wanted to do was train and get better. But then when I woke up for a match, I was tired. I was not as excited, and he recognized that way earlier than I did, and I was getting very confused because I was like, yeah, but I love training like I'm still loving it to some degree, and so that confused me a lot, and I just it took me a while to realize that I wasn't enjoying like the stress of getting ready for a match, the stress of competing, the stress of just going through matches was what I didn't recognize right away. And so I mean, I wouldn't of course, I don't want to retire earlier, but I think that and that it was happening for longer than I thought. But it was just because I was confused, okay, And so I decided to retire at the US Open, where all my friends are and my family could come and yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, because from the outside it seems that like what you've gone on to do in your career, like you picked up you moved into the broadcasting space or I think that same year for the WATA in twenty thirteen, I did any yeah, yeah, and obviously you had the college degree to fall back on. So like a lot of players talk about and professional athletes talk about the difficulty of transitioning, like what am I without my sport or what do I do next? But you seemed to have options, so like did that make it easier for you to transition or like was that always your plan to go into the media afterwards? It was not.
Speaker 3: Its actually happened by accident. But well so, as a player get asked to do media stuff all the time, especially in the United States. They usually asked the American because to do the sponsors and stuff and then sorry about that. And then one year, one year at Indian well or that year at any Wells, I don't know if it was that year. Anyway, one year at Annia Wells, you know, the media came and they're like, do you mind just doing a visit to a radio booth up top of the stadium? And I was like, yeah, sure, and I was just said yes, I did a lot of that stuff. And so I went into the radio booths at any Wells and just sat with them for maybe a set of whatever match was playing on stadium court and then they just and then all of a sudden, they just kept asking me to do a couple of things. And then I got connected with the BBC Radio because they were on site as well, and then it ended up being just networking stuff because then BBC Radio, the woman there recommended me to the ATP Radio and then did a lot with ATP Radio. And then ATP Radio noticed that I was really enjoying the interviews, so then he was like, would you be interested in doing interviews on court? And I was like sure. So I just started trying everything and it just happened that I had a communications degree. I was not like thinking about anything at the time, and my communications degree was completely different. It was TV and film production, which, funnily enough, I'm now starting to ask all questions about the production, which I'm finding fascinating, which I loved.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, you could move into that space to deliver the tennis production. That's it. It's interesting to hear you talk about your various commentary kind of uh over the years, because you've worked across both too, is ip radio you've worked for the WTA. Is there much of a difference commentating WTI versus IPA matches or is it preparing exactly the same? You call it the same? How do you approach it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I approached I approach both the same. Yeah, I think I think what I I feel like the guys are very good at being like open in their interviews. I think the women are getting better at that. I think the women guard themselves a little bit more than the men in the interviews. But I do that. That's actually where my pay roles is doing the interviews, Like like how you're doing like the fit down? You get a fact I love it, Yeahue I love it. You get just to know their characters a little bit better. You can joke around with them, and I think that's what the fans want to see, you know, they want to see more of who the player is behind the tennis player. But as far as commentator, you know, I approach, I approach that pretty much pretty much the same, because I I the way I I go more about you know, emotions, and stuff like that and matchups, and but I do like like kind of the emotions and the characters behind the players, because I do feel like that brings a lot to the court and I kind of feed off that. So for me, it's more about them as a tennis player, but also them as a person on the court and what they can bring, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: You know, that does make sense too. I mean, do are you like and that's certainly specific to interviews, but do you find that also bleeds into your commentary as well? Like what the yes is? Fourhands and back ends and tactics and patterns, but like what are they feeling in that moment? I think so, yeah, like how they might respond personality wise and things like that.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah, because I try and put myself in their shoes about how I respond to certain things, and then from the interviews you get some pretty good insight, Like some there are some players that like like comparing more quiet events to like Grand Slam, like how they deal with that, how they approach that, and sometimes like I know a few players that are just like especially at the US Opening, can be so like energetic and chaotic and stuff like that, and they just want to like hide themselves in their room and get like room service or just like can't deal with the chaos. And I just find that interesting because like how do you approach that mentally, like going on in the court and being able to block all that out because you just can't get you can't get away from the New York crowd. You know, it's just like and it's going to be noisy in Arthur ash Stadium, And like how do those different personalities and players deal with that? And I feel like sometimes you can see it coming out of them on the court.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting too. That's a common thing that comes up in tennis about the different energies of the tournaments. And you always hear that about the US Open. How did you because and that being your home Slam too ad as an extra layer as well. Did you love that chaos and buzz of New York? And also we're interested to know how did it compare to the Australian Open.
Speaker 3: I do like the buzz of New York, but the US room is probably the most stressful one for me, yes, because it's my home Sufflam two. I only grew up two and a half hour drive away from New York City and Rhode Island, and so all my friends and family would come, and of course the one thing that you want to do is perform really well in front of all your friends and family. So that put a whole other layer of stress on me. And I was also trying to accommodate for my parents, like in the player lounge, try and get if they needed anything. I just felt like it was a hard It was a hard one for me to relax. If you compared to the Australian Open. The Australian Open, I think it is lucky to be in a very good month of the year because I think it's lucky that it's in January. First spots, after everyone's taking a little bit of break. Everyone is so gung ho to get going again. Everyone from you know, Europe or is very happy to get out of the cold into the warm sun. I mean a lot of them train now. Allow a lot of them go early now and train whether in Asia do you buy whatever where it's warm and then go on to Australia. But and everyone and a lot of the players haven't seen each other, you know, they've had that break now and that everyone's like congregating and happy to see each other again. That's why it's called the Happy Flam. So I think you guys are very lucky to have that and that time of year. It's definitely not as chaotic. And heck did it as New York because probably because of where it's situated to. It's so close to the city. You can walk to the site from the city, so that's really convenient. So I think, you know, Australia has a lot of things going for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we particularly love that slot on the calendar too because it aligns perfectly when everyone's on like school holidays and yeah, like so many people, that's that's our big long summer break, Like there's lots of people that are off work or school for six weeks and things like that. So yeah, in January, yeah, it was so great being a kid, Like growing up, I was on school holiday so you didn't have to miss school, you could go to the Australian Open. Every day was a day off, like it was their. Yeah, it's fantastic. So we love that period is like you know, primetime in Australia for an event like that because it's just a lot so well with what everyone's doing. Do you find. So you're part of the World Commentary World Feed commentary team at the IO. Yeah, yeah, And so I've asked you what you kind of love about the event, like is there anything unique about covering the IO. I don't know whether it's like positions where you're on the court or unique things about the tournament that separate it from like other Slams to call or other tournaments.
Speaker 3: I do like that that it's the same as Wimbledon, that you can cover a lot of qurtes and you're actually situated on the court, So that's really nice. Wimbland does that as well. I actually don't go to the French I do the French from Tennis channel in La So I actually haven't been to Paris since I've played, so I can't comment on that, but I think just I don't know, just the ground. The grounds at the Australian Open are becoming so nice and spread out. I mean, one of my favorite stadiums is that Here Arena just a little sunken in and also the spacing around Here Arena, and that's what I think Australia has done so well is just the way they've designed walking around the facility in the event and it's so spacious and there's so much room. And but as far as like work, as far as commentating, I like all of them. I mean, I don't think there's anything maybe majorly different or or unique, because I don't know. The one thing I say over and over good to people when they ask me about it is I love the teams that we have for the world feed in every event for Australia, for well, just you for the Slams, I just do world feed for Australia. In the US Wimbled and I do Wimbling Radio, and then the French I do obviously from LA. But just the teams I think are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are. They're fantastic to listen to. We love it all and.
Speaker 3: We really are having that much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it really sounds it. And obviously I've seen you guys in like the the media cafe, things like this, things that everywhere, like you all have lunch together, you get coffees, like in between matches. You all seem like a close group. So it's really it's really nice. What is your like in terms in your broadcasting commentary career? What's like your favorite interview you've done all the best match you've called.
Speaker 3: Oh goodness, I think that's a really good question. I think it has to be. Well, definitely, I called the Fetter Djokovic final at when Well then, oh yes, I called that one radio So that was that was intense and exciting and a lot of drama, and so that was a really exciting one. And I think probably.
Speaker 1: And were you in center called in one of the radio booths in the stadium, yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: Wow, yes, okay, yeah. And then I think I don't know if I don't know if you would say it was the you know, the best match ever on the planet. But when Osaka won her first blame against slam Againt Serene at the US Open, I think that was exciting to college just because obviously there was a lot of drama involved in Osaka, like coming up on the scene and she was playing like her idol and so that just had a lot of drama and twists to it and stuff like that. I don't know, there's so there's so many and I feel like, especially now with the tennis, it's just absolutely insane. Like sometimes I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how good these these matches and players are. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you that, Like, so, it's been just over ten years since you played, and now you've been watching so much tennis in that time since, particularly women's tennis, because I guess you played on the women's Tour. How has the game evolved in that time like that alluding to what you're alluding to now is just crazy what they can do. What do you is it that in the last ten years has happened that's taken the game to this new level?
Speaker 3: I think, well, I think I do a lot of the men too, but I think it applies both to the women and the men. Is I mean, everyone's just gotten so much stronger, they've gotten so much faster. I think there's just more research and science behind like nutrition and taking care of your body, and it's allowed these players to push themselves harder and faster. There's more sliding on the court that I've ever seen before. I mean, remember klim Kleisers was the first one that really kind of did that, and now almost everyone is sliding on the hard court and it's absolutely ridiculous. And but I just think, I mean, I guess it was bound to happen with the speed and the strength, but watching how fast If you can see these players in person, watching how fast and how hard they hit the ball, I mean, it's it's incredible.
Speaker 2: Great interview, Matt, Thanks for loved hearing all about Jill's time in tennis, both in the past and her perspective now. Especially loved her recollection of that win over Serena Williams at Winwooden and how she used visualization ahead of the match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was obviously we were always going to ask her about that win over Serena, but yeah, the details she went into and those really cool nuggets of the time. I didn't know so much of that stuff. Yeah, she kind of manifested a victory. It was really it was really amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we all need to add a little bit of visualization to our day. We'll be back next week with another episode of the Sitdown. In the meantime, you can listen to John and the team on the AO Show this coming Thursday. Please remember to subscribe, rate, and review.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Matt.
Speaker 1: Thanks for see you next week.