Speaker 1: Are you trapped in an exhausting cycle of achievement but without fulfillment? Do you lie awake at night wondering how success or status can just feel so empty? What if the gap between your exhausted reality and your greatest life could be bridged by simple mindset shifts? And what if transformation required minutes and not months. My good friend Sarah Grimberg has been there, and she has made the improvements needed to completely.
Speaker 2: Change her life.
Speaker 1: Sarah hit a point a few years ago where she felt utterly exhausted and unfulfilled, even with all that she had achieved in her career and at the time being an executive producer of one of Australia's top breakfast radio shows. That's when she decided to dive deeper into the mind body connection. Now, Sarah is the host of the chart topping podcast A Life of Greatness and one of the most requested podcast interviewers for international guests such as Matthew mcconachie, Andrew Huberman and Esther Perell, as well as being a mindset coach and author of the newly released book Living a Life of Greatness. In this episode, Sarah reveals how you can change your negative thoughts to create a more positive outlook on life, while gossiping is actually making your life a whole lot worse, and a simple decision making hack to improve your life dramatically. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. In her book Living a Life of Greatness, Sarah talks about how she hit an all time low before finally making the changes she needed to ensure a happier and greater life. To start things off, I wanted to know what was going on and how got to that low point.
Speaker 3: This was particularly bad, and you know, something really interesting. And this is how the brain works is we forget a lot of stuff that we do. You know, I can barely remember if you said to me, what did you do last weekend? I'd probably be sitting there for five minutes trying to work out what I did last weekend, you know, because we're so busy in our lives. But when something is terrible and something is amazing, the brain takes a snapshot and it's you know, it stays within it so I can remember this like it was the other day.
Speaker 4: I remember exactly.
Speaker 3: I was sitting on my couch and I'd been doing breakfast radio for a period of time, and I was so excited to get this job. Initially in breakfast radio, as you would know from having a podcast yourself and being within media, the breakfast radio show is like the krem de la creme of any show at a station. So being a you know, a senior producer for this breakfast show was like such a great job. And I'd produced for a while and so when I got given that job, it was like, wow, this is amazing everything on the outside from an external point of view, the money I was getting paid, you know, the talent I was working with, being a producer for this like great entertainment show at one of the biggest stations in Australia.
Speaker 4: Everything looked great.
Speaker 3: And then as that year progressed and I did the show, it was absolutely exhausting, you know, waking up at three am five days a week, and I had a two year old and a four year old. I was just so tired. But I was miserable. I wasn't happy in the work that I was doing. I was really beginning to become run down, you know, those habits that you have.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's exercise or meditation.
Speaker 3: I didn't really meditate before then, but I just wasn't able to do a lot of them because I was absolutely exhausted. When you're absolutely exhausted, the worst thoughts start coming into your mind. So that particular day that you're talking about, I woke up really sick. I had a really really bad case of the flu. And I remember being actually even too scared to call my boss, thinking like, I don't want to call him sick, like that's how not in a good place I was. And anyway I did, because I remember getting out of bed naturally nearly collapsing like fainting because my blood pressure just dropped. I was so unwell so called him and said I can't come in. I went back to sleep, and then when I woke up, I crawled my and found my way to the couch, and I remember just staring outside it was like a really cold winter's day in Melbourne, and just thinking like, how did life become like this? How did I become so sad and felt so broken? And then you know, the tears started flooding, And I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I thought this, but I did. I thought, the only.
Speaker 3: Way now that I can change this situation is if I change. I need to make the change myself to be able to move my life forward, because I can't go on like this, like this is a terrible place to be. I made that decision and I followed through with it, and that's when everything changed.
Speaker 1: You talk about how there were several small changes that you made initially after coming to that realization. Do you remember what were those specific changes that you started to make.
Speaker 4: So you know?
Speaker 3: The first thing was I wanted to really educate myself about the mind body connection, about the way the brain works, why some people are happier than others. Why you can find on the outside some people who look like they have everything, but they're miserable, and yet there are others who don't have much and seem to be so happy.
Speaker 4: Like why. I was curious. I was like, why is that?
Speaker 3: So I ended up really diving into a lot of personal development work, and I met this guy it was actually at a coffee shop who ended up kind of becoming a mentor to me. And he had studied it, spent a lot of time in an ashram. He'd studied Buddhism, and he knew a lot about the personal development world, and learning through him and my own studies, I really started. The first thing was becoming consciously aware. So before that I was completely unconscious, as most of us are because we don't understand what being conscious is. And I started to watch my mind because there's this beautiful quote by the Sufi poet Roomy which says, why do you keep yourself in jail when the door is open?
Speaker 4: And that was my life.
Speaker 3: My mind would make me so sad Amantha, even though nothing bad had happened, and you know that happens a lot, because you know, for me, I came from a family of warriers, and they worried because they just wanted good things and for you to be okay. But when you grow up around people who are always worrying, you take that on too. But everything can be changed, right, So I would always worry about things. And the first thing that I did was try and change my thought patterns, and that made a huge difference in my life. I became very conscious about what I was thinking, about what I was saying, and my actions too.
Speaker 2: How do you change your thoughts?
Speaker 3: So once we have a negative thought, it's very hard to change that, but the way that we can disrupt that thought is by moving to the better feeling thought. I'm a mindset coach and so I teach a lot of my clients as this. We have I think it's something like sixty five seventy thousand thoughts.
Speaker 4: A day or something like that.
Speaker 3: Eighty percent of those are negative and ninety five percent of those are repetitive. So if you're having negative thoughts, most of them are the same thoughts every day, right, So learning how to change those thoughts is very helpful. Think about something that brings you joy or brings you love in your life. So it might be your dog, or a person, or even a destination, whatever it is, have the knowledge in your mind of what that thing that brings you love and joy is. And let's take the example of a dog. You think of your dog brings you love and joy. Every time that negative thought comes up, you immediately move to the better feeling thought of.
Speaker 4: Thinking about your dog.
Speaker 3: When you start doing this, you could be doing this like sixty seventy times a day. The more you do it, and it'll only work if you keep doing this, the more that the brain and we know this from neuroplasticity starts to rewire itself. The more it starts to rewire itself into having those better feeling thoughts and not the negative thoughts. And the more you do it, the more the negative thoughts stop happening, and the more the better feeling thoughts start. If you get into a situation, which a lot of us do, and I still get into situations like this, two thirty in the morning, wide awake, the rumination starts happening. Oh my god, I got that email. Did they mean this? They probably meant the worst thing in the world. Oh my god, it's going to end up being X, Y and Z. I'm going to lose my house. I'm going to you know, like the worst thoughts come at that time, right, So this is a great way of being able to help that rumination. The first thing you do is you look at the thought and say, the thought was Sally doesn't like me.
Speaker 4: So you test the thought. Do you know for sure that Sally doesn't like you?
Speaker 3: Ninety percent of the time, I promise you will not know for sure that Sally doesn't like you.
Speaker 4: So that's the first thing.
Speaker 3: When we start questioning the negative thought, it alleviates any stress. The second thing is external and internal levels of control. If you know for sure that Sally doesn't like you external levels of control, can you do something about it? Quite possibly, you could go and talk to her and speak to her about the feelings that you think that she has. Maybe you could write her an email, whatever it is. So then that alleviates that if there is nothing you can do in the knowledge of Sally not liking you, and that's really upsetting you, we go to the next step, which is the acceptance. The acceptance of the fact that Sally doesn't like me and there's nothing that I can do, but I'm going to accept.
Speaker 4: That and move on.
Speaker 3: And then every time that comes up, I move to that better feeling thought.
Speaker 4: So those habits.
Speaker 3: And using that has absolutely changed my life.
Speaker 2: How do you catch those thoughts?
Speaker 1: I must say, I'm reminded of a quote that you put in your book based on one of your podcast guests, Marissa Pierre, and she said that as little as four percent of our worries will ever take shape, which blew my mind but also really resonated. How do you catch yourself when you're in that worrying or catastrophizing state, whether that.
Speaker 2: Be at two thirty in the morning or just one roundom ut, I have.
Speaker 3: To say that Mark Twain, I think it was him, also said I've had so many worries in the world, none which have ever come true.
Speaker 2: Est I love that you know.
Speaker 3: And I remember having a conversation with someone and they said I had mentioned that exact thing on a podcast episode that I had done, and they said, it made me feel so much better when you said that. So you become consciously aware. If you're consciously aware, you were always watching your thoughts. And when you're always watching your thoughts, when you start worrying, you realize that you're worrying, and then you use the techniques that I just started speaking about. But another thing to also make sure of when we talk about conscious awareness is being consciously aware of the way that you talked about yourself. You know, you might say to yourself, oh, I look so awful in that I've put on weight and I feel terrible, or I'm not good enough.
Speaker 4: To get that job.
Speaker 3: When we become conscious of that, we're able to change it.
Speaker 4: A belief is just a.
Speaker 3: Thought you keep thinking, nothing more. So if you test that is it true? And if you know that, why wouldn't you fill yourself with better beliefs?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: A belief is just a thought you keep thinking. I might believe this about myself something negative. Doesn't mean Amantha thinks that about me. It's just a belief that I have.
Speaker 4: And knowing that.
Speaker 3: Alleviates so much stress. So being consciously aware, noticing when we're worrying, noticing when we're talking negatively to ourselves about ourselves. But also one thing I want to allow people to know is being very consciously aware about the words that we say about others and the words that come out of our mouths to others that aren't nice that have to do with a that person or be talking about other people. And when we gossip, it's like that triangular theory, right, in the sense that someone comes to gossip about someone with you, they try and become closer to you through gossip, say oh, did you.
Speaker 4: See this person?
Speaker 3: God, they're so annoying when they say X, Y and Z it and you say, yeah, I agree, data da right, And it's a way of trying to bond with you. It's not a good way of trying to bond with you. There's one thing about asking for advice or venting in a sense where it really is like they need advice from you, Like, I don't know what to do about this person. It's upset me. Can you give me advice? It's very different to gossiping. Really, once you stop engaging in that negative banter, you'll find that the people that come into your life are a lot more positive as well, because you won't want to hang around those negative people.
Speaker 4: So it's really a win win.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I always feel that whenever I'm having a negative thought about someone and I express it in conversation, I'm like, where is that coming from?
Speaker 2: Why am I feeling the need to say that?
Speaker 1: And often it's because I'm feeling insecure or not enough or inferior in some way, and so by putting someone else down, it's going to raise me up and make me feel better. And I feel like that's probably it's behind a lot of people's motivation two percent.
Speaker 4: But how good that you're consciously aware.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you notice it in yourself?
Speaker 1: Because I feel like I will have that thought, I'll have that awareness a lot of the time, but I'll still be feeling like, ah, what they did is so irritating or you know, like, I just don't feel the need to get it off my chest, even though I know that it is completely you know, misguided and not serving anyone at all by saying that if you need.
Speaker 4: To get it off your chest.
Speaker 3: What I would advise is like telling someone like potentially it could be your fiance or someone that or a best friend, where they're going to look at you and go, you're being.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous and pull you back.
Speaker 3: Like one of my best friends if I ever ran to her and i can hear myself doing it and I'm very consciously aware of doing it, and I don't feel good after I've done it, She'll say to me, like, you know, where's that coming from. I don't feel like what you're saying maybe is justified, And I'll be like, you know what, You're completely right. Try and say to the people that are conscious so they can say something back in return that will make you reflect on what you've been saying, rather than talking about it to people who are unconscious and they're just going to fuel that fire, which a lot of people do.
Speaker 1: How do you think about this in the workplace, because I feel, you know, there's so much talk about creating psychologically safe workplaces, and one of the things that can quickly damage that is an environment where there's bitchiness and blame. And you know, having been a leader or a manager of people for many years now, I have had the I guess displeasure of having you know, a lot of people come to me to have a vent or a winge about someone else, and I often think, where's the line where do I, as a leader need to just let the person get stuff off their chest because they're obviously feeling really frustrated with the way someone else has behaved, Versus where do I need to adopt more of an approach that we've been talking about and help them unpack why is this really affecting them so much?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's all in your response, right, So the fact that I mean, it's very obviously dependent on what they say, but if you feel what they're saying. And look, most people are going to come to their boss, most not all, and say something that they've been upset by someone, and that's completely justified. And I think that people should one hundred percent talk up. So that's the first thing, and it's about the constructive advice.
Speaker 4: That you give them.
Speaker 3: It's something that you need to talk to them about or maybe take away and reflect on it. You don't have to answer them straight away, but take the information, sit with it, and then when you have allow them to then come back and give them a pathway to be able to move forward.
Speaker 4: As the leader, as the boss, you need to be helpful back.
Speaker 3: And helpfulness might be, you know, if they're saying something which is really not justified and it's actually very mean to the other person, would be maybe for them to look inside themselves and reflect on why they feel like that, but don't make them feel terrible. So a lot of it does lie on you, but allowing them to reflect on what they're saying as well.
Speaker 1: I want to move on to I guess a related topic of forgiveness, and I know it's something that you've thought a lot about and I think about in my own life where I remember in my early twenties, it was probably the first time I'd had a really, really big falling out with someone and it was a really close friend.
Speaker 2: I had a crush on a guy.
Speaker 1: She ended up going home with that guy one night and I was devastated and I was really pissed, and that friendship never recovered. And I don't think all it took many years for me to forgive her. How do you think about forgiveness, because obviously it's probably not that healthy living with such negative feelings towards someone.
Speaker 3: Forgiveness is not letting the other person off the hook. It's allowing yourself to be free.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And the example in the book that I give is of Scarlett Lewis, and Scarlett Lewis is the mother of Jesse Lewis, and Jesse Lewis was part of the Sandy Hook massacre in the sense that he was in Grade one. I think he was five or six going to school that day, and a man who was twenty years old came in with a gun and nearly shot that whole Grade one class to death, and Jesse died within that he actually saved about six or seven of his class members because he started yelling and alerted the other class members that the gunman was in their room and they had time to run.
Speaker 4: Everyone else died.
Speaker 3: If you want to think of a story of forgiveness, of how anyone could forgive a man who comes and shoots children in a classroom where they're supposed to be safe, you would think she could never do that. And so when I spoke to her on my podcast, she talked about how she had to really look within herself to understand that again, she forgave the guy that came in and shot everyone because she knew that if she did not forgive him, she would.
Speaker 4: Forever have a horrible life herself.
Speaker 3: Right, So we're not saying something that someone does something bad to you and then two weeks later you need to have absolutely forgiven them. Forgiveness is done on your own timeline. But again I have to say this that it's about letting yourself be free, not letting them off the hook. And really, in the situation of Scarlet, she went and she looked, and she found out that the boy had special needs, and her oldest son had special needs, and the system had let her down with her son and Adam Lander, who was the gunman.
Speaker 4: His mother was a single mother like she was.
Speaker 3: She tried to get help for him, it didn't work, and I mean Adam ended up killing the mother too.
Speaker 4: And she knew all of.
Speaker 3: This, So in her mind, she was acknowledging a lot of the reasons of how this could help allow her to be the one that was able to forgive, and a lot of the people at Sandy Hook never forgave, and you know, they've lost their children. That's one of the most shocking things ever. But she did and now she puts a lot of that forgiveness into service, and she has a beautiful charity that she runs in the name of Jesse that helps people. She goes out to schools and she educates people about love and you know, she doesn't want kids to get into the situation that they'll be like the boy that ended.
Speaker 4: Up killing her son.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Sarah soon and when we return, she'll share her advice on how to quickly and easily build rapport with anyone, some easy meditation techniques for beginners who struggle to get into it like me, and a simple mindset shift that can improve your decision making dramatically. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. You mentioned in your book about how your husband makes decisions and he asks the question that's something.
Speaker 2: Like, what is the intention.
Speaker 1: Yes, can you tell me more about what your husband does there?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I mean he's so amazing like this, and he taught this to me years and years.
Speaker 4: Ago, especially when it comes to writing emails.
Speaker 3: You know, we send so many emails out or we might make a lot of phone calls whatever it is within business, and we don't even think anything behind the email, like I just got to answer this, I've got to give a reply, or I've got to send this out to get what I want right. But when we move through any of those things and take a moment, and it can be honestly seconds, this is not going to take up a lot of your day and think to yourself, what is my intention I'm writing? I'm about to write this email because you know, I'm need to get this from a supplier. But what is my intention for this email? What will allow them to get the most out of whatever it is, and what will allow me to get the.
Speaker 4: Most out of whatever the situation is.
Speaker 3: And then it ends up that the way you craft that email is a lot better because you have an intention behind it. What's my intention of coming on this podcast today? Because I want to teach people how to live their greatest life right, So that is my intention, rather than I just come on the podcast and I really don't think twice about it. Oh it's just a podcast chat, that's not it. I want to help people on their journey.
Speaker 4: It gives meaning behind a lot of what you're doing. Right, What is my intention?
Speaker 3: So when we live life looking and thinking about what is the intention, you'll find that you'll become quite a lot happier. And then anything that you do with the other person makes it a far more joyful experience.
Speaker 2: How do you do that in the moment?
Speaker 1: Like, I'm thinking about my evening last night and my daughter was in a shocking mood and for whatever reason, her school had had them out in the thirty two degree heat for an hour right in the middle of the day playing sports. She was exhausted and my patience was limited and I was fine, but I wasn't my best self. What should I have done in that moment? Because my intention is always to be the best mum that I can.
Speaker 4: What did she come to you with whend she say something? She was just tired.
Speaker 1: I was trying to make conversation with her on the way home and try to think about something fun that we could do after school and she just didn't want a.
Speaker 2: Bar of it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know you have an intention, Okay, My intention is obviously to make her feel a bit happier because she's only young.
Speaker 4: Firstly. Secondly, I'm her mother.
Speaker 3: I take care of her, and I totally understand the fact that she's been running around in thirty five degree heat and she's little, and she probably hasn't drunk enough water or maybe she needs to have something to eat, and she's grumpy.
Speaker 4: So you know, your intention is to make her feel better.
Speaker 3: And you know, so she's young, so she can be grumpy and you're still gonna love her and she's your daughter. But for moments, you become unconscious and you end up maybe saying things that you shouldn't, and you get annoyed because you're trying to be nice to her and give her all these things and she's not really doing anything back except being rude or whatever the situation is. But that's okay because you had actually had a good intention, right, and it's just to keep moving forward with that good intention. I mean, you can't control other people, right, you can't, But if you show up being your best self.
Speaker 4: Then they're going to end up looking.
Speaker 3: At you, and you're a role model for that. And if we go unconscious sometimes that's completely human. I mean, of course I go unconscious sometimes, but I know when I go unconscious sometimes you're bringing it up. You know that you are unconscious during that moment, and I think to myself, I got to do better next time, and that's gross.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about meditation because I think whatever we catch up, probably we talk about meditation. You talk about meditation, I say I have trouble meditating.
Speaker 2: That's probably how I respond. And when I read in your.
Speaker 1: Book Living a Life of Greatness about your approach to meditation, something kind of clicked and I thought, I've never thought about meditation in that way.
Speaker 2: When I think about meditation, and.
Speaker 1: I'm someone that has tried different kinds of meditation, I've tried different kinds of apps, nothing is.
Speaker 2: Stack always feel like a failure.
Speaker 1: I always think that the purpose of meditation is to just clear your mind and just be present in the present moment and aware of your body, and I just get really bored and then my mind wanders and then I'm failing. And the way you've framed it in the book is it's just listening to your own thoughts.
Speaker 2: And that made me think, oh, I can do that, Like I don't think I can clear my mind.
Speaker 1: And you know, and I always think about meditations just pushing the thoughts away when they come up.
Speaker 2: But can you tell me a bit more about how you meditate?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, Realistically, unless you're a monk that's meditated for so many years and something that you do for majority of the day, you're never going to meditate where you have no thoughts. The mind moves at one hundred miles an hour when we go into meditation. It's about realizing what we're thinking and not judging it, but looking at at it like it's a cloud, just kind.
Speaker 4: Of drifting in there and a little drift out of there.
Speaker 3: The one thing with meditation is you have to do it consistently. It's not something you can do once a week and think like that's going to make it change in my life, right, It just isn't. You know, Even if you don't do it for a long period of time, you're doing it for ten minutes five days a week. To do it every day is mostly beneficial, But even just ten minutes, five days a week will make such a difference because it starts slowing your brain waves down, and the purpose of meditation is to do that. In the sense that we're going into meditation, you said to me, you know, my mind's going one hundred miles an hour, and you know, I feel like I just you know, can't control it, and it's not going to nothingness.
Speaker 4: It's never going to really go to nothingness.
Speaker 3: So don't have those expectations, because then, like me, I started meditation like this, you.
Speaker 4: Become hard on yourself.
Speaker 3: Like I actually thought there was something wrong with my mind when I first went into meditation all those years ago, because I remember watching the thoughts, but then I couldn't remember them. So I was like one minute thinking about this, I was like what was I thinking about?
Speaker 4: And then the next one and they.
Speaker 3: Were crazy thoughts where it was like so abstract. I remember thinking, what am I thinking? This is the weirdest thing ever. But the more I showed up and found a meditation that worked for me, the more I showed up, the more I kept doing it, the more I noticed that the difference in my eyes open life was so different in the sense that when my kids were young, you know, as we all do, we're unconscious, and we might be short with them or not showing up the best way we can. And because I was doing that breakfast radio job and I was exhausted, and you know you're barthing then when they're really little, and this and that, and you've got a lot on your plate, and I'd probably raise my voice a little bit more than I wanted to.
Speaker 4: I noticed that when I started meditating properly.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm not just saying this, I would say I nearly have never done that since. And it's because I don't feel a need or if I do, which I don't at all anymore, the time between something happening and your reaction is so different.
Speaker 4: It's slowed down.
Speaker 3: And this is great in any kind of business conversation or meeting. If you're a big meditator, you don't react as fast. Right, So usually someone says something beat a child, or you're in a meeting and they're saying something is upset you or it's not correct, and you'll fill your body get really heated, right, and you bark back at them. Well, barking back at anyone is never going to be a great solution, right, It's not a good way of getting a point across. When you're a meditator and do it for a period of time, you'll notice that when that person says that thing in the meeting, you're not barking back at them anymore because you wait, you have the time to think about it. Okay, they've said this, I feel like this. It's making me feel uncomfortable. I know if I bark back at them now, this response is not going to be good. So you'll either a not respond or be your respond in a way that is completely normal and nice and not raise your voice, which is a better way of getting whatever you need that information to the person rather than just attacking them. So that's one of the greatest things that can come out of meditation.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about your podcast, Yes, A Life of Greatness. You have had some amazing guests on your show over I think we've been podcasting for a similar amount of time.
Speaker 2: Six years, so yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So you've had people like Matthew McConaughey, Andrew Huberman, Esther Perell.
Speaker 2: Like just these amazing names, and I know that something.
Speaker 1: Think about is how do you build rapport with people as quickly as possible?
Speaker 2: And often your.
Speaker 1: Interviews are with someone that's in another country, and so you're having to do that virtually.
Speaker 3: What are the strategies that you use to build that quick report? To be honest with you, my natural way of being. But the more you do it, as you would know, the more you understand.
Speaker 4: Okay. I try to talk to them for about five minutes.
Speaker 3: Before I get a feel through the way that they answer the questions. You know, it might be like, how's everything going in America? Whereabouts in America?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 3: At the moment I get a gauge of their responses if they want to talk a little bit more, and then I might, just before we start the episode, have a bit of a chat with them. If I notice they're very quick, I'm like, okay, they just want to do the podcast chat, which is completely fine. And then I listen to what they say. So I find that if I'm in a conversation with someone, I really listen to them. I look in their eyes and I make sure I'm listening to what they're saying. Of course, yes, I tell stories that are alated to whatever they're talking about, because as it's your podcast, it's my podcast. My listeners want to hear from me as well, But I don't make the conversation eighty percent me and then twenty percent. I've invited them onto my show, and I treat them with respect. I'm using eye contact is a huge thing, and I'm really listening to what they're saying, and I think that just makes the conversation much better and it enables them to know I've come to a good spot. I'm so happy I came on this podcast. I've been told that too from some of these big guests, like you really researched.
Speaker 4: I love your questions, you know.
Speaker 2: So it works such a compliment, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I want to ask how you go deep with your guests as you do.
Speaker 2: That is your style.
Speaker 1: I think that is one of the things that you're known for if you're interviewing, and also just who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: You are someone that goes deep. You don't really do the small talk stuff.
Speaker 1: And I think you're also really good at getting guests off their talking points, which I think is probably a bit of a pet peece for any podcast, most because your guests are generally doing some sort of tour to promote some kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, what are your strategies for doing that.
Speaker 3: If I feel there's more information I really want to uncover it. I'll talk about their journey always because I'm just genuinely so interested to know, like where they came from. I might know it already if I've read a book and they've written about it, but if I don't, I start getting ideas, and then I'll in my mind going that will relate to that, and that will relate to this, which we'll move to next. And then I ask some things that are lighter in nature, and I see how they answer them. And if I feel that I'm getting them to a place where they trust me, and we've kind of set everything up nicely, we know about their childhood and their upbringing, and we've talked a bit about their work or whatever it is. I get to a place where then I think I'll ask them about something deeper and I'll see how they respond. But I genuinely do it always because I am interested in the answer. I don't do it because and I've never done this because I want to get pr headlines or anything like that.
Speaker 4: And I make sure though that I know.
Speaker 3: That they feel safe with me before I go into the deeper questions. I remember it's just come to mind when you're asking me this question. I recently interviewed Darren Hayes from Savage Guard, and his book is so beautiful everyone should buy it. But it's deep and his story is hard and sad and beautiful. But he went through Helen backright, had a terrible upbringing and while his father was terrible, his sister was amazing. And so I said to him in the book, I mentioned his sister and I asked about their relationship, and then he just, you know, he really welled up with tears and said, you know, she had to grow up so fast because my father was abusive to my mum, and she became from a young age my mum's best friend because my mum was isolated from her friends because my dad was abusing her, you know. And then I am touched by his comment. And then when that happens, because again you're listening, it's like you form this kind of bond. It's an unspoken energy. And I know this sounds so strange, but you would understand because you've interviewed people where they share something that's really raw and honest. And again this kind of goes into that empathy piece you think about them or maybe yourself in that situation, and that touches something in you, and then you have that place to be able to either ask some more questions about that or talk about something else that's quite deep, because you've really formed that bond. I want to finish by asking you a question that's probably a version of a question you've been asking many times and I get asked it as well.
Speaker 2: In terms of you know, who's your favorite guest, what's your favorite tip?
Speaker 1: But I guess specifically, I want to know what is a piece of advice or something that you've heard with the many interviews that you've done that has really had one of the most profound impacts on you.
Speaker 3: I think one of the biggest pieces of advice I got given, and it's a chapter in the book, is being your authentic self, going through the world and being you.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: It was actually in the yesterday the kids are dressing up for something at school, and I think it's like, who do you want to be when you're older kind of thing. A lot of my daughter's friends are going as like ballerinas and gymnasts, and Poppy loves that. But my daughter, but she doesn't want to be that, even though all their friends are that. And then there's another group that are doing something else, and she says, you know, mum, there's only ten.
Speaker 4: I don't really want to do that like I want to. She loves basketball.
Speaker 3: She's like, I want to be like a sports person. And I thought, you know, so many people at that age were just try and do what their friends did because it's easier, and they all want to be the same. But the fact that she's saying that's not when I want to do it. I don't want to grow up and being a gymnast or a ballerina. I want to be an athlete. I was like, wow, it's making it hard a few in the sense that you have to find a group now because that group only wants the ballerinas and gymnasts. But you're showing up as your authentic self. And I think there are so many times in life where we're trying to fit into what we think other people want from us, or trying to be the other person, trying to be what someone else thinks is.
Speaker 4: Acceptable or right.
Speaker 3: It might be our parents, it might be in a relationship, whatever it is, and we lose ourselves and garble Matte talks a lot about this that you know, if you're a chameleon in so many situations, you don't end up knowing who you are, and you do that long enough, you end.
Speaker 4: Up creating disease. Disease right because you.
Speaker 3: Become insecure, you think that no one really likes you for you. You don't even know who you are. So the best advice that I've been given is to show up as your authentic self. And I think what's got me the beautiful friends I have, what's allowed me in the past to be a great producer is I've always shown up as Sarah.
Speaker 1: I love that, and you have most definitely been the Sarah that I.
Speaker 4: Catch up for coffee over the mind today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on. I loved your book.
Speaker 1: Like as I said to you when you walked in, it's such a gift when you know someone and then you're able to read their book that they've put so much of themselves into and so many stories I didn't know about you. I loved it so much. Living a life of greatness, It's just been such a joy.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sarah oh Aman for You're amazing. You're a beautiful friend. And thank you so much for having me on the podcast. I'm truly very grateful.
Speaker 1: I hope you loved this chat with Sarah as much as I did, and I can tell you that after this chat, I've put a ban on myself engaging in any gossip or bitchiness, which I think is such a game changer.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn more about Sarah.
Speaker 1: I highly recommend checking out her book Living a Life of Greatness and listening to her podcast A Life of Greatness.
Speaker 2: The links to both are in the show notes. If you like.
Speaker 1: Today's show, make sure you get follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop.
Speaker 2: How I Work was recorded
Speaker 1: On the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the Cool And Nation.