Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Flex and Frooms on Cater. It's Friday, It's Friday Friday.
Speaker 3: Don't like how Rebecca Black Scott numb totally aassified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she worked really hard at that.
Speaker 3: Fucking Oh yeah, major props for real. You can't come back from anything. M Rebecca Black really copped it back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she didn't really do anything that embarrassing. I don't think there's come back from.
Speaker 1: No, but people ripped her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can come back from anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think she's surpassed anyway. I don't know. It depends because it was a sensation for all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to know what things were like.
Speaker 1: People thought that was embarrassing height of embarrassing. Yeah, it was a weird time back then, it really was. Anyway, enjoy the party. Bye, Flex and Firms, Flex and.
Speaker 3: Froomes Cater never miss a beat. FLEXI I know you love imaginary concepts.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know you like the make believe you really do.
Speaker 3: And someone a listener has sent us in a question regarding how we would choose to create an escape room. Brookie has a audio grab Hey.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of the show. I was just wondering, professional, if you had to build an escape room, what will be the theme?
Speaker 1: Now, I'm just gonna say, I don't believe this is a listener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's somewhere in production because that is.
Speaker 1: What they admitted to me that they sent it on the toilet. Okay, can we just play a bit of it again?
Speaker 2: Hey, well, Flex and Rooms. I'm a big fan of the show.
Speaker 3: I was just wondering if you had to build an escape room, what would be the theme. I just love when I hear our listeners voice and think you are so eloquent and the dictation and the innation.
Speaker 1: Of the voice is popping.
Speaker 2: Intonation.
Speaker 3: Intonation, I never get that word. So, if you had to build an escape room, what would be the theme? And how would you escape a FLEXI? I know you've got some experience with escape room.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is coming up because I just went to an escape room. I've gone to a couple in my lifetime. I have. I am very fond of teamwork, but also maybe over emphasizing my contribution by taking it really seriously getting one or two clues, gloating the whole time, and then calling myself the MVP. I did go to an escape room recently that I felt was incredible, Like the set design, the production felt like I was in a movie or like a play, a theater show. Was really incredible. I will say that I felt misled because I was told it was like a toy shop themed escape room, and in actuality it was so haunted, so scary. I had to step out during the third room because it was like the most sinister thing I've ever experienced, like cursed.
Speaker 1: Do you have a line when it comes to stuff?
Speaker 2: I really do? And I the line was blurry. Now it's a hard line in the sand, So had to step out. Was very spooky, And for that reason, I would say I'd want my escape room to be something like End of the World Apocalypse themed, just because I feel like what happens with a lot of escape rooms currently is that they pull on like things that already exist and retell those stories in the context of the room. So like, do a bank heist, and then you've watched a bunch of bank heist movies, so you kind of get the gist but then like escaping a made up place that doesn't exist, and you can't pull from your pre existing understanding of the apocalypse because you've never been to them. That would be sick And how do you escape?
Speaker 1: I don't know, become a zombie.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like I really want a room that's contingent on actual teamwork, like that requires someone like to press the button while something else is happening. Because you don't want the bludges in the room. People start to like hang out on the sideline. I'm like, this is serious. Get your head in the game, Babe's.
Speaker 3: The only time I've done an escape room was in Korea after a couple of drinks with a group of people.
Speaker 1: One other person could speak English.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were the weakest link.
Speaker 1: I was a weak link, and I was just toidling in the in the corner of the room, looking busy, looking busy.
Speaker 3: Hated it, actually hated it if I had to construct my own escape room, which.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't because I don't like them. What don't you like about it? Stuck?
Speaker 3: I don't like I'm really I'm not gonna say I'm bad at problem solving, but I don't apply myself. You can shocking say that I don't get down with problem solving, but if I had to pick one, I think I figured out something that would hit your taste as well. The theme is baby in a cot, So you're like in a play pen like you were a baby, and you have to go in like all with dummies in your mouth. And the first one is like how to get the dummy out?
Speaker 2: But you're like, you can't use your hands or your legs, and you can't. You could spit it out, but then how do you spit it out and get into the lock?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then the second one is like you're in a room full of cribs and the cribs are all set up against the wall, so once you get into the crib, you can go through a hole to the next room like a maze, but in order to get up there you have to.
Speaker 1: Step on everyone. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so baby escaping, you're a genius.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was something off the dome too. That's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: So just have to think.
Speaker 3: If you've got a better scenario, send us in a voice note flex and anyone will.
Speaker 2: Have a better one than your one, but definitely attempt and send it through.
Speaker 1: See sometimes I'm quite smart, You're often quite smart. Yeah, it's crazy Ketas flex.
Speaker 2: And fromes Flex and Firms.
Speaker 3: FLEXI have a very important update that will change your lives of quite a few viewers and listeners at the.
Speaker 2: Show People with Sisters, People with sisters with sisters? Is that a small demographic? How many sisters with sisters do we have in the room right now? One? Two, three? Wow, I'm the outlier.
Speaker 3: How many sisters with one other sister?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Three for three?
Speaker 3: I'd love to know what that's about, oldest or youngestest? Becky's the older sister behind the camera there.
Speaker 2: That's why Becky can deal with us.
Speaker 1: It is, isn't it?
Speaker 3: She can deal with a little ramblings true annoying.
Speaker 2: Makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: Pink sister versus purple sister. This is from a listener, Hey, Hotty, can we just hotty no plural? It's just for me, Hey, Hotty, I just said over at my parents' house last night and found tangible evidence that I was dubbed the purple sister by my parents when I was a child.
Speaker 2: When listening to clarify, is that a bad thing a good thing?
Speaker 1: Their pink sister is number one.
Speaker 2: Primary sister. I'm better sister.
Speaker 3: Primary sister better, often older, more dominant. Purple sister is the runner up.
Speaker 2: And you are you produce a brookie? Are you pink or purple sister?
Speaker 1: I'm a pink and shows it's because she's the oldest.
Speaker 2: I believe I'm she's not. She's the youngest. I'm youngest domin I'm not trying to break down your theory, but I'm I'm just trying to find.
Speaker 3: I'll says, this is a very contentious point. I believe in my childhood I was the pink sister. My sister's she is. We have been gathering evidence, she says, I have a core memory that supports this too. One Christmas, and I was six or seven, my sister and I got electric toothbrushes as presents. The one she got was pink and had a pretty princess on it.
Speaker 1: It was so cute.
Speaker 3: But the one I got it was green and blue and had a dinosaur on it. So purple sister adjacent is that?
Speaker 2: Because when you're buying, let's say, a toothbrush, how many pink options are you going to get? It has been a color another color, right, I guess you can't get the same toothbrush.
Speaker 3: Please continue, it gets crazier. Clearly there were only options for a boy and a girl toothbrush at targets, so I got stuck with the boy one. At the time, I was jealous, but still appreciated my diner guy. But this is when it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh hasn't got an interesting yet?
Speaker 1: I was loving it, hooting and hollering in the back.
Speaker 3: Maybe my parents had a gnarly subconscious parental instinct because last year I came out as trans non binary and the dino truthbrush and nomination as purple sister started to make a whole lot more sense. They just knew I wasn't supposed to be a pretty pink princess.
Speaker 2: So what this person is saying is that there's a correlation with sisters who were dubbed purple or pink. It has something to do with your sexual no, with your gender expression. Yes, but are we thinking is it correlational causation? Is there a correlation?
Speaker 3: Perhaps well, other parents subconsciously weighing up your.
Speaker 2: All the parents with pink toothbrush, pushing onto.
Speaker 3: The traditional salmin and stereotypes.
Speaker 1: You can't get, you can't get past the FLEXI you can.
Speaker 2: You really can, because this is niche sister content. I don't have anything like this, but I'm thinking, I mean, I would love to see some more data, okay support these claims. First, I want to get a more comprehensive understanding of what other characteristics of a pink sister versus a purple sister. Yes, that would be great, okay, because for now I'm thinking that the pink sister is really defined and purple is just not the pink sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Make Oh that's the point.
Speaker 3: They're the runner up, they're the consolation prize, they're the Oh well, it's kind of similarly you should.
Speaker 2: Make the cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then we just need to define, like what is the pink sister. Is it always the favorite, is the fussiest, Is it the more like stereotypically feminine?
Speaker 1: It's the most dominant?
Speaker 2: I think we need to crowdsource.
Speaker 3: Can I just I think this is an anthropological reason why spar with me.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're gonna go into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, very quickly. So in the time when we grew up late.
Speaker 3: Two thousands, because we were twenty four no, just kidding, growing up in the nineties and the early two thousands, pink was vogue. Pink was like legally blonde. It was all these things were super stereotypically feminine, where that was the only real marker of success as a woman, as a child, as a child, that you're at your barbies like and of women in that age the way, even like young women, you had to be stereotypically very very feminine to fit this ideal.
Speaker 2: And therefore, because even like the the R and B seeing are pink, her whole thing is I'm at.
Speaker 4: Some may, I'm at somebody, she still still shuckle flex and.
Speaker 2: Am I the asshole for acting poor to make my housemates feel better about their financial situation? That is the question we're answering today on flex and frooms. Listen to this. So after thirty years of steady progress, I'm making pretty good money, Like I recently readjusted my four oh one K. It's like superannuation, so I won't overpay into it this year. And the change in my take home pay is more than my roommates pays in rent in my sort of low end and ugly house in a poor neighborhood. My gosh, both of my roommates and several friends are constantly struggling.
Speaker 1: Babe.
Speaker 2: I try to help by drastically undercharging on rent. They probably pay half what the going rate is for rooms in my city, and being the one who buys takeout on movie nights, but they still struggle. I pretty much downplay my income and will downplay my available money by pointing out the college expenses I pay for my child and the cost of filling my old junker car with gas. I was recently hanging with a friend and he asked what I made. I was honest and told him. He said he called me a jerk and said I was condescending to my friends by acting poor. He was actively angry that I'm faking being poor. Meanwhile, I just try to save up so I have a warm place to go to the bathroom when I'm old. I'm going to charge rent to live in my house. It seems wrong to have people lived there and for me to not make anything of them. So am I the asshole?
Speaker 1: Damn?
Speaker 2: I would say that he is a very creative writer. I didn't clock he wrote struggle and Struggling probably about six or seven times. In both of those paragraphs.
Speaker 3: Never discuss money with anyone never unless you're in a comparable industry. Like when you and I discuss certain things specific jobs, I wouldn't know how much you take home in a year point blank. I don't know your final figure. I know for this job you got x amount of money. So then when the same brand comes to me, I know.
Speaker 1: The ballpark figure. Okay.
Speaker 3: Any kind of discussion of money when you know you earn way more is a dick flex It's not gonna make you feel better about how much you make when you flex it on somebody else, because all you can do is lose, because they then think you're a tight ass for not paying for everything. Like we've all got that really rich friend, or like maybe you knew someone growing up whose parents are really rich, you're expecting them to foot bills for things actuality, like they.
Speaker 1: Don't need to.
Speaker 3: Just because you own more money doesn't mean you should cover for your friends.
Speaker 2: I find myself doing not the opposite. But I've had a few friends and acquaintances assume that I make a lot of money and have no expenses, So I've had to be really honest about what my expenses are. So they'll be like, oh, you should come here. I'm like no, I just paid ten K with lawyers. I can't do that, ybe. So we're not joking anymore. It's like you, like you assume there's a lot of money coming in, there's just as much money going out, you know. Or if someone's like, what do you mean you can't come to so and so and so, like it's only gonna cost this much, and like I just paid a tax bill it was this much, so I can't do it. And then it's not about flexing how much money you have, but it's about being more honest about the context of why you can and can't spend something. I think that people are very naive when it comes to discussions of money because they assume that it's not going to change how they perceive a city situation, Like they're not looking for that information to decide how they feel about a situation. In fact, you know, like so if people are like, oh, I want to know how much you make, it's like it's going to impact whatever thought you currently have brewing, and it's not in my benefit to don't worry about it. What I will say, though, is in this situation, I think it's important because the poster owns the house, so there's already like precarious money situation happening here, and you know that you make way more than your housemaids, and you also know that you want to be in a position to maintain some kind of friendship. I don't think this person has to quote unquote act poor on behalf of them. That's a weird take and a weird flex. But I do think it's considerate to presume that they won't be able to do and go certain places with you because they don't make your income. I think this person's overcompensating and this whole like, well, I only charge them half of market way, you don't have to. You're gonna throw it back on them then, like, don't you know let them know. Yeah, they didn't know there were charity cases when they signed the lease.
Speaker 1: Don't whip it out midway through.
Speaker 2: Have some respect, have some zequem. You've been listening to The flexen Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.