Speaker 1: Already and this is the Daily This is the Daily OS. Oh, now it makes sense. Good morning and welcome to the Daily OS. It's Friday, the eleventh of July. I'm Billy fitz Simon's.
Speaker 2: I'm Sam Becauseluski. And this is Cubby.
Speaker 1: Cobby, our very special office dog.
Speaker 2: He's a beautiful, kind nature golden Retriever.
Speaker 1: The first time he's been allowed in the Pod studio and it will be very clear why he's here in a moment because did you know that rules of pet ownership are changing in Australia, Well kind of. At the start of this month, the Act revealed a new draft Code of Practice that sets out mandatory rules of dog ownership in the territory. Among the new rules is a required minimum time of three hours spent with a dog every day. Now that is just for the Act, but it comes a month after new laws at the federal level came into effect that changed how pets are seen in the family law system. It means pets won't just be seen as property and there will be new special considerations to who took the best care of the pet. Today we're looking at how the rules of pet ownership are changing.
Speaker 2: Billy, this is such an interesting topic I wanted to cover in the room. He's just taken a little walk from my lap, but that's okay, it's his right to do so. And this really is a story about the changing rights of dogs across Australia. It's such a cool thing to talk about. I'd never really thought about pet ownership as something that's overly regulated. Yes we did. I remember we did a podcast about the rights of renters to have pets in rental properties, but that was again from the aspect of the human rather than the pet. I'm really keen to get into this first. How popular is pet ownership in Australia.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, first, Sam, a quick bit of trivia for you. What percentage of households in Australia do you think has a pet, so any kind of pet.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with like sixty five percent.
Speaker 1: That's pretty bang on. It's about seventy percent.
Speaker 2: I just think about that. So if you've got ten average Aussie households in a room, seven out of ten have a pet in the home.
Speaker 1: Yes, And of those that do have a pet, fifty percent have a dog. So I'm sure it's no surprise that dogs are the most popular pet in Australia. Quick question, are we allowed to talk about our own dogs here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A big shout out to Honey and Maggie, our family dogs. Honey's mine, Maggie is your family dog? Both beautiful dogs in their later years of life, yes, but still very special. Why don't we start with the news out of the Act, which is the most recent development in this space.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, at the start of this month, the Act government released its draft of a Code of Practice for dog welfare right now, that was advised on by the Act Animal Welfare Advisory Committee.
Speaker 2: And when you're saying a code of practice, what exactly does that mean and also what legal weight does that have?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So codes of practice provide safety and standards information to specific different tasks that people have. Now, this code specifically outlines mandatory standards that individuals responsible for dogs must meet. It does say that kind of the rules of animal welfare are quite universally recognizable, but this is just quite specific to dogs. Also aside, note the Act is actually somewhat of a leader in this space because in twenty nineteen it actually became the only jurisdiction in Australia that recognizes animals as sentient beings that have intrinsic value and deserve to be treated with compassion.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting from a legal standpoint. And so at this stage there's this code of practice that they are proposing, and now they're actually seeking public feedback on it. What exactly is in the.
Speaker 1: Dry Okay, So I'll go through the changes. The first is that it provides an updated animal framework that as well as recognizing that dogs are sentient beings, it also recognizes that animals have intrinsic value and deserve to be treated with compassion and have a quality of life that reflects their intrinsic value. And it also recognizes that people have a duty to care for the physical and mental welfare of animals.
Speaker 2: So there is kind of existing animal cruelty rules, and we hear of cases, terrible cases all the time of dogs being locked in cars or mistreatment. There was a massive, you know, news event with investigations into the greyhound racing industry, for example, a couple of years ago. But I think what's different about this draft is that mental component perhaps and really trying to ensure the mental health and emotional health of the dog is so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's about recognizing that animals are these beings on their own that don't just exist in relation to humans, Like it's not kind of I know that for a lot of people, dogs can kind of help you, but this is about recognizing how you can help dogs.
Speaker 2: It is interesting that they've specified dogs and that it doesn't expand to other animals. Yeah, okay, so how are they actually going about quantifying or somewhat validating the idea that you're emotionally and physically caring for your dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is the one that caught my attention. So the act government in this Code of Practice is saying that they want to expand guidelines for dog owners and cares that would require all dogs to have a minimum of three hours of human contact daily.
Speaker 2: That is really interesting, so interesting. I think it must be trying to kind of eradicate people who leave their dogs alone for yes, hours and hours and days of the time. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now you might be asking why, what's their reasoning behind this? Yeah, and the draft code kind of explains that. Now I'm going to read out it's a bit of a lengthy quote, but I think it's really interesting. So it says undesirable behaviors in dogs, such as excessive barking, can result from leaving them unattended for extended periods, leading to boredom and anxiety, and that kind of speaks to that mental health well beeting that we're talking about. It continues as well as indicating distress. These behaviors can lead to animal nuisance and neighborhood complaints. So bad pr for dogs, Yes, that's a good way of putting it. And so because of this, it is saying that it should be mandatory for dogs to spend at least three hours a day with human contact.
Speaker 2: So what I'm reading into that is this isn't about just being with the dog when you're asleep and the dog is a snunt. This is about more meaningful time spent with your pet.
Speaker 1: Yes, And interestingly, it also recommends, so it doesn't make this mandatory, but it recommends that dogs live inside. So it says dogs are social pack animals and a life to be happiest living in the house with their human family and other dogs. Dogs are also more useful as intruder deterrents if they live inside the house.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's somewhat stating the obvious. You know, dogs are happier when they're around people, and they might scare off someone who's not meant to be there. That's something that's very well established. I guess by applying it into this framework, what they're trying to do is give owners some guidelines of best practice, which is a different way to approach pet ownership as we've seen in Australia.
Speaker 1: Wait, you know who does get their three hours in? Definitely who Cubby?
Speaker 2: Cubby. So Kubby is not a TDA dog. Kubby is a dog of the other business that we share with. And man does that office light up when Cubby works in.
Speaker 1: I mean Cubby's in most days.
Speaker 2: He's in most days. He's a very good boy. Yes, has particular love for the news. It would say, I've wanted to actually get a dog for TDA for a long time and call it newspaper. But you know, it hasn't happened yet because of Interestingly, some of the things that you're raising, which is me and my wife, we both work very long days out of the house, and signless some dog was with me at work, it would be spending probably not the three hours a day of mandatory human contact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an important thing to think about.
Speaker 2: And did the code expand not just in the quality time, love language, but other parts of a dog's life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really went through kind of all parts of a dog's life. If I say retractable leads, do you know what I'm talking about tape measurers? Oh my god, I've never thought of them like that, but yes, kind of like that, which I have always thought they were quite common and I never knew that there was anything wrong with them. But the Act's draft Code of Practice says that a person in charge of a dog should not use retractable leashes because they could result in injury. And they expanded on that. So they said, a retractable leash limits control pose. This is risk and could be dangerous to both the dog and the walker. And they said that retractable leashes are only suitable for well trained dogs. So they're not completely banning retractable leashes, but they're just saying that they should only be used in specific circumstances.
Speaker 2: One part of it which really interested me was the part of the code that restricted surgical debarking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you heard of that before?
Speaker 2: I haven't, actually I heard of that. I know I can picture a muzzle in my head and dogs that are restricted by some sort of physical barrier to barking. But I hadn't heard of surgical debarking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it's saying that surgical debarking procedures must not be considered as a bark reduction strategy if the dog is under twelve months of age. And it also says that it should only ever be considered if the dog is considered a public nuisance. Now you might be wondering how do you prove if your dog is a public nuisance? And it had a very specific kind of guideline or criteria. Is said that you have to have at least two written complaints from your neighbor to say that your dog is kind of officially a public nuisance, and only then could it be considered that your dog might need surgical debarking.
Speaker 2: So this is a really long report. Those are some of the categories that are covered there. There's a fifty page code, like there's kind of every aspects of the dog's life is covered. Will put a link to it in the show notes. But you've also said, and I think this is the bit that I'm struggling with. This story is what's binding, what's part of the law, what can be enforced? Draft code always makes alarm bells go off for me, can this actually be enforced? And you know what actual strength does it give the act government in improving the lives of dogs in the territory.
Speaker 1: I think the thing to think about is for all things like this, you know, there are so many different examples where they meant has guidelines for I guess how we should live our life, things like alcohol consumption, cigarette consumption, And you're right, it is really hard to enforce. And this isn't the kind of thing where police are now going to be doing random checks on people's houses. Rectable, yes, to start seeing whether or not you are spending your compulsory three hours a day with your dog. But it's meant to be more of a guideline, and I would say only in extreme circumstances if they believe that there is animal cruelty going.
Speaker 2: On or which is a lot like that's yes, indisputably yes.
Speaker 1: So if there's like systemic neglect there that you know, I imagine someone would have to report you for, then that's when this would be enforced. But again I think there are lots of different examples where they kind of give you a guideline.
Speaker 2: The media has guidelines on how we report stories exactly example. Yes, but then there are actual laws, as we've just mentioned, and one area that's changed a lot is pet ownership and how it's viewed in the family law context.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this came in in June, and so it was a new law that came into effect that meant that pets are no longer considered as property during family court settlements in Australia. So this is talking about something like a divorce and if a couple is deciding who gets what in that separation. Traditionally dogs have been considered property kind of like this financial thing that needs to be I guess divided during that separation. Now, these new rules mean that the family court system will be required to expand how it views pets and it will be mandatory for the family court to actually take into account the extent to which each party, so each person in that relationship cared for the animal right as well as any history of cruelty to the pet by a party in terms of you know, kind of the extent to which each person cared for the pet. It basically means that the family court will be taking into account things like who fed the pet or who walked the pet. Wow, interesting things like that that now are literally part of the law.
Speaker 2: And that's a really interesting example of how a process that was probably started with some sort of code, with some sort of guideline framework of here's how you should be thinking about who owns a pet after a divorce actually could sometimes become law and become a really codified part of the system. Billy does so interesting to see the changing roles of pets in Australia. You're going to have to go home and tell Maggie absolutely everything because she's going to be thrilled with these newfound strengths of hers in Australia.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you're allowing us to talk about Maggie Moore because for all those listening, Sam has stopped me from talking about Maggie.
Speaker 2: I just know.
Speaker 1: Apparently it's too self indulgent.
Speaker 2: Well, I just know that everyone listening right now, all they want to do is talk about their pet to us, and that's their right.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's like like you're always interested in your dreams, but no one else is interested in your dreams.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think so. And that's why I think Kubby left because Ah, you started talking about Maggie and Kubby had enough.
Speaker 1: Well just know Sam that I'll always be here to talk about honey.
Speaker 2: That's very sweet. That's very sweet, just like honey. And that's all we've got time for of a very strange episode of the Daily os for you. But I hope that brought a bit of joy to your Friday. We're going to be back in the afternoon with some headlines. Until then, have a fantastic start to the day. Say har to your dog for me and we'll chat later.
Speaker 1: My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda bunge Lung Kalkotin woman from Gadighl Country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Straight Island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.