Speaker 1: Kid a, Peter hell ay here, welcome to you.
Speaker 2: Ain't seen nothing yet the movie podcast We're our chat to a movie lover a bet a classical beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now, and today's guests.
Speaker 1: She stew of below Deck down Under, Asias Scott.
Speaker 3: All below, I want.
Speaker 4: To stay here with you.
Speaker 3: He the jobble, Why hate snake shock? Why heil?
Speaker 1: It couldn't happening right?
Speaker 3: So you don't seen nothing new.
Speaker 2: Asia Scott has only recently come into my life through her appearance on and participation in I'm a Celebrity to get me out of here in Australia, And I think it's fair to say Asias I would say my favorite in there, like we got along immediately and through the whole time. Her bed was next to mine and Harry's. We called that downtown, I say, Harry, Harry Garsider, Olympic boxer champion, and we just were drawn to each other's silliness. And yeah, we formed the Flaming Ducks, which I must say we were murdered in the edit. Those songs were actually much better and much better received than they appear to be on the television. Maybe more of that later, but Asia's just a delight to hang around.
Speaker 1: She came through. I'm a celebrity Viya of course.
Speaker 2: Below Deck a global phenomena, one of the biggest TV shows in the world out of Bravo. There are many different franchises as She's now the chief stew of the Below Deck down Under, which is a start its second season, and I've seen first couple of episodes and it's a cracker one. You get to see some more rossies in there. It's filled up in Queensland out of cans. Genuinely, it's off to a great start, and I know a couple of things that might happen coming up, And genuinely, I think this series is going to blow up for many different reasons. If you haven't got onto Blow Deck, it may or may not be a guilty pleasure. I'm not sure how you kind of define guilty pleasures these days. But it's a cracking show. I really enjoyed. My wife is obsessed by it. She has seen many episodes, more than once. But Asia personally, she is fun funny, so positive, so full of life.
Speaker 1: People will say to me, is she always like that? Is she always so up and about? An upbeat?
Speaker 2: And I say, to be honest, I was there twenty six days in the jungle with her, and you cannot hide that kind of zest for life.
Speaker 1: It's not an act.
Speaker 2: It's all there, It's all Asia, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with her to day.
Speaker 5: Hello, I am anxious, Scott. And my three favorite movies are Shortshank, Redemption.
Speaker 1: Hope, is It Dangerously Hope, and Drive a Man and Scene It's got my use on.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say the Green Mile sometimes the Green Mile, Siem Saloon, and Glorious Bastard's probably heard.
Speaker 1: We ain't in the prisoner taking business.
Speaker 2: We are killing Natzi business, cousin businesses are booming.
Speaker 5: But up until this morning, I had not seen Cape Fear, the De Niro version.
Speaker 2: Max Catie Robert de Niro is out of jail and on his way to a place called Cape Fear, which surely is a red flag in his sights. His lawyer, Sam Bowden nick Noldy, who Max believes let him down by not submitting a crucial piece of evidence in his rape trial, which saw him imprisoned for fourteen years. Max is out for revenge, targeting everything Sam holds deer, from his maybe mistress Lola Elena Douglas to his dog actor unknown, his daughter, the brilliant Juliet Lewis in her first film role leading to an Oscar nomination, and his slightly discondled wife Lee, the always great Jessica Lang. When legal means fail Sam, he's forced to consider crossing the lines he never thought he would.
Speaker 1: Cross to protect those closest to him.
Speaker 2: Directed by the Master Martin Scorsese from a scoop by Wesley's strip from the nineteen fifty seventh book The Executioners by John D. McDonald, Cape Fear is a monster movie that pays tribute to the great Alfred Hitchcock. DeNiro was also nominated for an Oscar, and for this he adopted a Southern accent and got absolutely stretted to play one of his more terrifying roles. You can imagine Max Katie being a Southern cousin of taxi drivers Travis Bickle, Asia Scott. Have you ever set anyone alight on a boat? Oh? Question, because I haven't seen every episode of Blowed. I've seen a lot of them. Yeah, I can't remember you setting somebody alight.
Speaker 5: I've done a lot on a boat A lot that I regret a lot of this, Sally, But I don't think I've ever seen anyone a light on a boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good, and that's why you have you have climbed the ranks exact.
Speaker 5: That is the one reason why I am now mass chief stew There you.
Speaker 2: Go of below deck down under. Fantastic. Now we welcome. It is great to be hanging out with you on the airwaves. Wherever this ends up you are, you're in town for a couple of days. We thought, let's let's get a podcast episode.
Speaker 3: Recorded, let's get one done.
Speaker 2: And we try to get We thought, well, I thought it would be great to have a boat theme going on in this and our original choice was the Aussie classic Dead Calm with Nicole Kidman, Sam Neil and Billy Zane. Never trusts Billy Zane on the boat. He's got some form.
Speaker 3: Why don't we trust Billy Zane on a bart because.
Speaker 2: He goes mad Dead Calm and he goes a bit crazy on the Titanic as well.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I wouldn't want him on.
Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 2: If you ever are recording an episode of Blow Deck, can you see mister Bezane heading your way.
Speaker 3: Make a beeline out of there.
Speaker 2: Get out of there, Okay, get Captain Sandy, get behind.
Speaker 3: The wheel, Sandy shave.
Speaker 2: But so in the end it turns out Dead Calm unavailable to watch anywhere. No streaming services have Dead Calm available. You can't download.
Speaker 3: It was not able to pull any stringth.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have all the you know, the the VPNs and the geo kind of access to cross borders. It was too late in the piece to kind of try to find it on DVD. So I got thinking, Hey, what the other famous boat movie there was Boot, which is a long German movie in a submarine. That's that might have been a bit hard work, but I thought Cape Fear doesn't completely take place on a boat, but but the last act takes place on a boat.
Speaker 3: That has built very strong.
Speaker 2: You had very firm opinions about that boat as we were watching it. This is the first episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet where I've actually watched the movie with my gar Yes, because you were staying with me, and it was the best way to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so beautiful.
Speaker 1: We've tried to.
Speaker 2: Kind of like limit the conversation around it, but there were yeah, there were there were some conversations about the flimsiness of the buck, but we'll get we'll get to that. Yes, what's your movie history? Do you see a lot of movies? Because you did say to me when when we discussed, oh, there are so many movies I haven't seen how growing up in New Zealand A lovely party where about?
Speaker 1: See you're from in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: I'm from Toto, A.
Speaker 1: Beautiful part of the world right next to beautiful?
Speaker 3: Yes, how do you know that?
Speaker 1: Is it? Really? That was a guest?
Speaker 3: Well it's forty five?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, Kaine.
Speaker 3: Why have you been there?
Speaker 1: I've never been.
Speaker 3: I know about White Island.
Speaker 1: I know about what island.
Speaker 2: I knew about before White Island while I was a volcano.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know it all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right yourself? Yeah, yeah, okay, do some research up with the life.
Speaker 2: But when I first started going to use I'm in Rove Live kind of exploded over there, somebody mentioned Fuka Tani and I just found it kind of hilarious that you had a place called Fuka Tani.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what is a Tani?
Speaker 3: Who is Tana?
Speaker 1: Who is Tanya?
Speaker 3: Who has it?
Speaker 5: When rove exploded, I used to I told you.
Speaker 3: I used to watch you every Friday.
Speaker 2: You said you said in the Jungle that you watched Rove live all the time and that you had very little memory of me being on it. That you said, how many episodes if you did you do it? I said, every single episode for ten years.
Speaker 5: I think it was literally just after what we were talking about Rove for some at the time, and I know you're on Rove. So we were talking about Rove, someone mentioned it. I go, I love Rove. I used to watch that all the time, and Pete Pipe something goes I was.
Speaker 3: I was on it. I was on every episode. I was like, were you? I don't recall you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the passion that came out when I had been talking about it, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I do not. I do not recall you at all.
Speaker 2: It's like somebody saying I have seen Dirty Dancing fifty times and me say, oh my god, look away special Swayzy ind oh, I didn't know that. Maybe spatic Swayzey, I'm Jennifer. I don't know the power dynamic of Do you.
Speaker 5: Think that you were you pack as much of a pun punch as Patrick Swayzey these days?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really, he's no longer with us. Oh no, but as far as put me on a dance floor and no, no, absolutely no, absolutely not so.
Speaker 3: But I do apologize for that. Yeah, in terms of movies.
Speaker 2: So how often did you go was there a local cinema? Did you get there often?
Speaker 3: There was a local cinema.
Speaker 5: I'd get there quite often, maybe once every year.
Speaker 2: And you know, you have seen approximately twenty eight films exactly.
Speaker 5: So I was explaining to Pete before this podcast the reason that we watched this film right before we started recording this, other than the fact that logistically it did actually make a lot of sit but I've got this kind of memory where as soon as soon as a movie finishes in the credits role, my mind erases the whole movie. So I have seen a lot of movies. I just don't know that I've seen a lot of movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it always interests me when bridges like this. My wife she's like, have I seen that movie? And I kind of think, well, usually when you I don't know, I kind of feel like I tend to remember those. I said, oh no, actually, now I'm saying this out loud, and now I'm thinking out loud. There are hard times in this podcast where I think I thought I saw a certain film and then I've started watching it, I'm like, actually, I don't think I have I've seen this film because maybe I've seen bits of it or it's lived so prominently in the zeitgeist. Yeah, I'm like, okay, Like there, I reckon. Everybody probably feels like they've seen Jaws, you know, yeah, because they there's so much imagery.
Speaker 3: So many references to so many other movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can feel like you've seen a movie without seeing it.
Speaker 5: Do you think, though, that you're the kind of person we're saying every every four out of five movies you've seen. If I was like, what's a funny part in that movie or what's that movie about?
Speaker 3: You could confidently.
Speaker 1: Tell me I think so. Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, what is your i Q.
Speaker 1: Six is that high? You're doing well?
Speaker 3: You're doing well?
Speaker 5: You know you learn in the Jungle how powerful my knowledge of pop cultures and any like?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Actors point, I'm going to ask you to the point where you asked me, what what's what's one of Elvis Presley's songs? Now there might be some good thing. Yeah, Elvis Presley is like he's old and you sound old by defending Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley exists in his own little world.
Speaker 1: Where the.
Speaker 3: Rolling Stones.
Speaker 1: You should have at least one reference point.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's the Beatles song?
Speaker 1: Then? Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait? What is a Beatles song? I know there looking across the road, across.
Speaker 1: The road, that's avery road. That's that's an album cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know the album cover.
Speaker 1: Well. Songs from the Beatles would include.
Speaker 3: Get Back, get Back in Time, no into Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Get Back, get back to where you once belong, get Back. I have to sing it in a way that's not so accurate and so in tune that we don't have to pay royalties for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm pathing, I can do. We need somebody help.
Speaker 5: Okay, what I'm actually looking at it be I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, twist and shower, let it be be, Let it be beautiful. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm trying also to do the whole royalties. Okay, so easy. Maybe it's maybe it's not my lack of knowledge, Maybe it's all in there.
Speaker 3: But I struggled to I saw.
Speaker 5: I struggled to put like one of those place names in front of that box of stuff. Yeah, you know, his name card do I put in front of their box?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So in my head, all the pop cultural stuff has stayed in there. Yeah, and a lot of other important stuff has left. Yes, very evident mathematics, scientific stuff.
Speaker 3: How rich a conversation is, It's very evident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's gonna be a short compodcast, very short episode.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, but this is where I always tell Scott. I'm like, why are you so honest and honorable and.
Speaker 3: Real with me?
Speaker 5: Because he said these things that come out of his mouth. I pass myself laughing for so long and he and he just looks at me with his blank face, and I'm like what.
Speaker 3: And he's like, you think that I made that up?
Speaker 1: Don't you?
Speaker 5: And I was like, didn't you? You're so funny. He's like, We've just watched that on a movie last night.
Speaker 3: How do you not remember that?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: And why are you telling me that claim that you're the funniest man in the world.
Speaker 2: Ashue is referring to, of course, former Prime minis the Scott Morrisons having a lover, your lover that's got your wonderful boyfriend who he is an adventure man who does things that's scare that bloody hell out of me.
Speaker 1: Well, we better not waste time.
Speaker 2: And because we want to get the cape fever before we get the cape fee, before it leaves your brain forever never to return.
Speaker 3: Neither will return.
Speaker 2: I need to navigate this boat, and I we're going to navigate this this flimsy boat through your three favorite films.
Speaker 1: The Shawshank Redemption.
Speaker 2: You'll be unsurprised to learn, has come up a number of times, and we've covered it WITHDD Sampsons who had never seen The Shawshank Redemption, but it's also come up in favorite films. As it is, it's every footballer's favorite film. I think every sports person's favorite film.
Speaker 3: I didn't know people knew about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it got out there. Really Obviously you were the one who broke it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was the one that chiseled the tunnel.
Speaker 1: Through the tunnel of shit Get the God which apparently.
Speaker 3: I'm referencing movies. It's all coming back.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't have survived that, by the way, I was listening to somebody talk about that, like the science of really, why going through that length of tunnel with shit in there?
Speaker 1: Not? Actually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, the science part of it, this left but the pulp cultural part of this hearing that he wouldn't have survived it, right, So yeah, but a great film, A great film, sim Robins Morgan. It felt like that was a film that introduced Morgan Freeman to me. I must I had seen him in something else before, but it certainly cemented him as the man with the golden tonsils.
Speaker 3: So it's not as believable as Kate Ferris, which I say very tongue in cheek. We'll get into it.
Speaker 1: It's not quite believable. No, I think there are reasons for that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm in it. I'm into it.
Speaker 2: But Cape Shaw Shape Redemption, it is a beautiful film, as much as it has become almost a parody. You know that everyone's favorite film is Short Redemption in a way.
Speaker 3: Like everyone hates Knickelback, but they don't really.
Speaker 1: I like you that some people do. Oh, okay, do you love Nickelback? I love Knuckleback.
Speaker 3: Okay, I won't sing it because of the whole royalties thing. Yeah, God, I want to God, I want to look till I an imagement.
Speaker 1: So what is the photograph?
Speaker 5: I think it's isn't it a photo of himself younger, like in a happy time.
Speaker 1: Right, I haven't studied the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe you should.
Speaker 1: I tapped out of Nickelback after the like Your Pants Are on Your Feet song.
Speaker 3: Why don't you do a Nickelback podcast, nest.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's been done, yeah, multiple times.
Speaker 2: Multiple times, and I'm sure it ceased to exist for a reason lack attraction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, maybe they didn't do it the right way.
Speaker 2: Maybe they didn't. I would leave it to you to do that podcast. You could, you could have a deep dive into every Nickelback song. Would I listen to it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can't. I can't promise that I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Won't promise I'll buy the seeding.
Speaker 5: I'll take out the leaflet that they put in the front cover that you open up into the lyrics page and just go through every single lyrics everyone.
Speaker 3: With a poet and analyze it.
Speaker 1: Here we go, given back the respect they deserve.
Speaker 3: Exactly, How can I ask you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: As in I thought sure, Shank Redemption was based on a true story.
Speaker 2: No, it's based on a short film by called Reader Hayworth and the short Shank Redemption. Yeah, because in the book it was Reader Hayworth and not.
Speaker 3: It was a warman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cal Welch is who the poster he has on the wall. Maybe they're early in the movie. I think maybe possibly, and then becomes cal Welsh and that's.
Speaker 1: Who he breaks.
Speaker 2: That's the last poster, I don't think, so I'm going to google this. You can google it there singing about shaw Shank redemption for me and I may have mentioned this. I think in Todd's episode. It was a little detail when Andy tells Red where to find where it's not real. Yeah, I just thought to continue to podcast with that until you come back and I have your attention again. But when when Andy tells Read the details of where to find this buried thing, you know that ends up being I think the money. He throws a little detail where him and his wife made love. I thought that was too much information. Red doesn't need to know that. Yeah, bit tacky.
Speaker 3: I bite like that made me feel a bit randy.
Speaker 1: Red is probably there on the ground remembering his old friend. Yeah, I have a little wank for Andy w that would have been.
Speaker 3: It was brilliant into the film.
Speaker 5: Just close up you just see his fingers moving up and down to start, and then it slowly zooms out for like ten minutes Greenny walks in the room.
Speaker 3: They would be brilliant.
Speaker 1: Couldn't help think about my friend Andy. Oh, I thought about him. I thought about him the whole Oh.
Speaker 5: There's something quite beautiful about the contrast of how quickly you can ejaculate and the long.
Speaker 3: Life of the oak tree.
Speaker 2: It's artistic, It's really artistic, and I think everyone involved in that film missed an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. You couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: The strong erection of red he next to the oak, the strong oak.
Speaker 3: Did anyone on this production go to film skill?
Speaker 1: Did you decide for a moment to think outside of the square? No?
Speaker 3: They woke up in there.
Speaker 1: He finds some money.
Speaker 5: I'm going to think in the box today. Box is comfortable today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where I'll stay.
Speaker 5: That's how you make a film, a shittiest shortshank Redemption.
Speaker 1: You're really turning on the film now because.
Speaker 3: I hate this out of my top three? Thank you? What's the next one?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Andy? And and and.
Speaker 3: Oh why why why do you say he's got golden.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got the best voice in the history of movies, right because he narrated. He narrated the penguin, the March of the penguins.
Speaker 3: The second best voice.
Speaker 1: Probably, it's a good question. Actually his wayhead in front. James L. Jones famously has a voice. He played Darth Vader.
Speaker 3: As a.
Speaker 1: Father. You haven't seen Star Wars. He doesn't have a raspy like.
Speaker 3: Another.
Speaker 2: Go, it's getting worse, It's getting worse. Get Dark Vada Fisherman's Friend. Can we please.
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: You're really showing your diversity of movies here because your government Shawshanks to the Green Mile, which.
Speaker 3: Is like the two most basic Beast movies.
Speaker 1: Similar in Prison. Was that also based on Stephen King?
Speaker 3: Also based on a true story? Yeah, yeah, okay, do you want to giggle that any Wait? And he got the flies out of his mouth? Yeah, he goes yeah, similar.
Speaker 2: To Dark Yeah exactly. And Tom has can't piss.
Speaker 5: What happened in the middle section of The Green Mile?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: What's your second films that you should be telling me? I've seen it maybe twice.
Speaker 5: Because it's it's like, you know people that have dementia and they don't remember the act, but they remember how they felt and when it finished, I remember thinking, wow, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember what it was about. I remember how I felt.
Speaker 2: Well, what I remember is the man on the trial, Michael Duncan Jones, a large, large in all possible ways, American on death row, innocent re memory, Yes, And he had this miraculous power to heal, to.
Speaker 3: Breathe out, fireflies.
Speaker 1: In his mouth.
Speaker 3: And Tom Hanks was the prison guard.
Speaker 1: He was a prison guard who couldn't piss.
Speaker 3: Oh, they really couldn't purss? Why couldn't he purse? Was he nervous?
Speaker 1: Bit of stage right from Tom?
Speaker 3: That's right, it's all coming back.
Speaker 2: I think he had a yearny tracking infection or something, but he fixed out as well.
Speaker 5: Have you ever had a gift on where you've had to explain to them what happens in this second favorite movie?
Speaker 1: No, I think this is the first time.
Speaker 3: Oh brilliant. Okay, I think it's.
Speaker 2: A groundbreaking episode already. So Inglorious Bastards.
Speaker 1: Good choice, thank you.
Speaker 2: This is my listen. Nothing wrong with seor Shane green Mile at all. But I say good choice to Inglorious Bastards because I think it's my favorite Tarantino film.
Speaker 5: And that's a really hard decision to make. Yes, there's so many good ones. People people seem not as hot about the cabin one. I think if you can make a movie that good where they in a cabin the whole time, you're genius.
Speaker 1: This is eight people, hatel eight, Yes, the people, the eight people.
Speaker 5: How can you make a movie that good and they don't leave a cabin? It's genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the Breakfast Club, but they.
Speaker 3: Never leaves classroom. I think I know more than I think I know.
Speaker 1: You may discover something about yourself. You may learn something about yourself.
Speaker 2: I hope hopefully you leave this episode of you hating nothing yet knowing a bit more. Yah, you know a better person as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's already happened, so we've achieved that.
Speaker 1: I can feel it. Do you have a favorite moment? There's so many great moments in inglorious barses.
Speaker 2: Mine, and I feel like it's become the scene that everyone talks about the most glorious, which one.
Speaker 3: Brad Pitt when he's walking along.
Speaker 5: No, I know what you're gonna say when he goes to hold up his three fingers to order a drink and he holds the three fingers the wrong way.
Speaker 2: That whole scene down in the Rendezvous, the kind of bunker kind of bar, Is. It's a long scene that plays out, and it's got so many little twists and turns, and I think it's the first time I'd seen Michael Fassbender in a role, so I wasn't aware if he was English or he was you know, if he was.
Speaker 3: Is that the guy, the fingers guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's He's he's on the Ally side. So here's that's who they're meeting. I think that's in their meeting is or he goes in on behalf of the Allies team, Brad Pitt.
Speaker 1: So he's who I think holds up the wrong fingers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: And like the tension they mount in that scene, you feel like you're going to just explode with worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You've got these German soldiers who are there celebrating the birth of Jesus, Jesus Jesus and also one of their sons, one of a recent dad. Right, yeah, but they are, they are there celebrating Christmas.
Speaker 3: Jesus is even present, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're very spiritual.
Speaker 5: That's how people describe me here. Yeah, so Jesus and things.
Speaker 2: A German baby, yes, And then there's this great reveal of this character who we don't even know he's there, this German kind of commandant, if you like, who gets revealed when we think everything's come to settled down and then there's like, hang on a second, he's another twist. There's this guy and he just won't he picks up the idea that these the accents a little bit off and.
Speaker 3: How much how much do you just want that scene to wrap up and everything be fine.
Speaker 2: There's something also about when drinking is involved in some scenes, where it gives characters a looseness and an unpredictability that is also can be frightening, and I think they do that here as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, when it's such a long scene, which I usually struggle with, like I will not watch Game of Thrones because I'm not going to sit around and watch a ten minute monologue. But they make that scene so long but so interesting you're just enraptured the whole time.
Speaker 1: It's a tribute to that scene.
Speaker 2: How good it this is, because there are some other the opening scene when Christoph Waltz goes to far and that family and they're hiding down below where they're talking to the father, and then she isn't running away, and then he finds her and he talks to her and I'm not sure if he has placed her then, and he's eating dessert. He's eating a strudle or something that's so and they're waiting for him. They're kind of waiting for the shool to come out and the cream, and she's just like, she knows who he is, and we're not sure if he knows who she is.
Speaker 1: But it's so fucking tense.
Speaker 5: They build up your emotions so well in that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's great, Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 5: You know it's you don't want to watch it at nighttime, No, you want to watch it in the morning. So you've got the day to relieve yourself the same way that what's his face should have under the oak tree?
Speaker 1: And Oh, I couldn't help thinking about my friend. Let's talk about this film.
Speaker 7: Hey, Freda's Bird.
Speaker 3: Apparently you go everywhere you want with whomever.
Speaker 4: That much freedom could maybe get a film to t outher.
Speaker 1: What do you think had like My Keys Gold to be?
Speaker 7: You don't remember me?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, sure, I remember you. You were at the Love I said, Oh.
Speaker 3: I'm disappointed, I'm hurt.
Speaker 1: I would like a keenness mix.
Speaker 7: Shady you look the same, maybe fifteen pounds heavier. But they say the average man gains a pound a year until he's oh god, okay, games a pound a year until he's about sixty.
Speaker 4: Me I dropped the pound every year in my sentence.
Speaker 1: Atlanta seventy seven.
Speaker 7: You gotten July fourteen years since I held a set of case.
Speaker 1: Hey, you look good, healthy.
Speaker 4: Think you because it's a struggle to stay healthy in the john.
Speaker 1: Well, you wouldn't know about that, which is hear me.
Speaker 7: They sticky with the white trash and they'll strike a liquor work.
Speaker 8: All day back.
Speaker 7: This is the little ceaguards my own advice, because I need advice in the joint to remind me I was human.
Speaker 1: H sixteen years old. I saw this in the cinema.
Speaker 2: I believe it north Land, I think I remember, and it is Cape Fear nineteen ninety one by the Master Martin.
Speaker 1: Scorsese, Asia Scott. Yes, did you enjoy Cape Fear?
Speaker 5: I loved Cape Fear? Oh wow, I thought it was brilliant. Actually, you know, as I said to you afterwards, I feel like there's a whole world of movies out there that I just have not seen. Yes, And I've got no idea about.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're seeing one movie a year, I can guarantee there are many, many, many, many films that you have not seen, because I see a lot of films that am there are many films I have not seen.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think if you take someone like de Niro, I've only known I'm so youthful that I only know de Niro as is hisself. Now, you know that kind of gangster graff whatever, this is the I've never seen in this young before. And I and I sit to you, I really want to take it really well known actor or actress now and just go like they've all got this backlog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's reasons why very rarely do you get like a sixty year old debutant actor then, and you'll see the same actors for a reason, because they've got this backlog of work and history and legacy. And the Nio is, you know, widely considered maybe the best actor of our generation, of my generation or his generation. And if you haven't seen him young, if this is the youngest you've seen him, then you're.
Speaker 3: Got you get younger he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he was younger and then he got older, so he reversed. But the point still stands. I mean there's taxi driver, there is raging Ball, even good Fellas was before.
Speaker 3: This isn't been a TV show.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's underbelly Undel.
Speaker 3: Do I confuse those two?
Speaker 2: Well, they're both kind of you know, underground mafia kind of in a way.
Speaker 1: But yes, he is pretty petrifying in this, Oh he is.
Speaker 5: And now I'm wondering what about Mirror, what about Samuel Jackson? What about all these people of that kind of age group. I've got a whole world to unlock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really do.
Speaker 3: And you've opened the door for me.
Speaker 1: Pete, You're gonna walk away a better person.
Speaker 3: I will, I really will.
Speaker 2: And Merylship is a fantastic like she is regarded as probably the actor of her generation. And you have got You've got stunning films in her back canalong? Yeah, and I'm not talking about my mea. I'm going back to Cramer versus Kramer and so his choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to go.
Speaker 5: I want to go watch all of them. Now we need to block out. We need to We need to do a lock and at your place for a week. Everyone gets to the lounge and we just cover cover it all.
Speaker 1: Everyone how how wide were.
Speaker 5: Well when I when I say everyone, I was meaning me, you, Bridge and the boys. But I suppose I could invite my lovely part.
Speaker 1: Yeah I love Scott to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah he can.
Speaker 1: In one of his death track Contraction, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah he can fly in.
Speaker 2: I did see I saw Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning, and there's there's a bit where I don't think I'm spoiling too much, but Tom Cruise uses one of those wings.
Speaker 3: Yes, Scott's Scott going to see it, that's what he does. Yeah, he's very disappointed.
Speaker 1: So I did think of Scott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, thank you for sparing a thought for us.
Speaker 1: That's all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. Thoughts about him many times, sometimes in under a note tree if you know, same brother, the creepiest moment and you want see nothing yet history.
Speaker 1: But why was he disappointed?
Speaker 5: So he was disappointed because I think there was just such a build up, and for for someone like him who's such a master of his craft, the way that Tom built it up, it was like, Wow, if he's going to learn to do this and do it well and such a short amount of time, like that's incredible. Kudos to to Tom YadA, YadA, YadA. But apparently he kind of just flies off and flies straight down in lands like there's no there's no spins, there's no twists, there's no nothing.
Speaker 2: I must say, when that moment happens, I was expecting a bit more in the world. Is it spectacular? The whole sequence is spectacular. There's a whole train thing going on. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 9: But yes, yes, do you I mean yeah, I think I think they just expected more because his publicity team really put a lot into building that moment up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 5: I mean for I guess for people that are professionals, they're like, oh, is that all he's doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this the moment?
Speaker 2: Because there's a moment on the train where he kind of basically jumps out a little bit of a spoiler with that kind of wing thing. But there's also a moment where he's on the motor which has been highly publicized. When he's on the motorbike and then the matter of obviously kind of goes falls down. He's almost free falling for.
Speaker 3: A while, and it's near the end. Yeah, yes, yeah, there's the one that he's talking about.
Speaker 1: Look, I thought that was pretty Spectacle.
Speaker 3: Do you think the movie is good?
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't seen it. It's usually and usually for me, I'm usually right on top.
Speaker 3: Of these things.
Speaker 1: You'll see you're seeing like thirty years and I have to go back and watch Young Tom. He's ninety now and.
Speaker 2: He's in a plane for There was a Young Tom Cruise Mission Impossible seven and Maverick.
Speaker 3: I really I love Maverick.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 5: It was so good that there was my one a year that I saw the movies a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: I think everyone saw it. The movies made billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Literally, let's get back the KT's let's not have you know Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first thing that I wanted to discover.
Speaker 1: What do you want to start?
Speaker 5: De Niro's voice, it's much higher pitch than I remember it.
Speaker 2: What's the first one I can remember? Being a Southern a Southern accent. He took it very seriously. He went down down the South in America and recorded people's conversations and actually sometimes would ask people to read lines from the script that he would use.
Speaker 1: Character.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I didn't like him. I didn't think it sounded that great.
Speaker 2: As chose what I know, yeah, I mean I thought he nailed the accent. I'm not saying are you saying you thought he sounded he didn't nail the accent or just didn't suit the character.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, bo, I've got friends because I spent a lot of time in the States, and I've got friends from the South.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 5: Just don't feel like he quite sounded like them. But it might be that I was so put off by the pitch because I'm not used to hearing him like that. Yeah, I'm used to hearing him like it with a lower what do you call it, a lower range?
Speaker 3: You're like a lower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, registered, yeah, yeah, yeah. I liked it because I liked it separated this character from a Travis Picckle, who you wouldn't nobody that's young, younger than hero taxi driver, who's also a bit on there, just for as where his mental state is and what he's planning I'm doing.
Speaker 1: So I liked it.
Speaker 2: He didn't get ripped for it, though, Like the first thing you see is him he shredded he is I.
Speaker 5: Thought, you mean, like, like, you know, he got ripped as and people made fun of him.
Speaker 1: No, well, it's not very nice. I mean he got nominated for an Academy Award. I mean, lay off him.
Speaker 3: You got more than you God, no.
Speaker 5: Body I did, Yes very much, Yes, Yes, what are you therese those those traps?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And the first thing we see he leaves jail and there's thun the clowns and lightning in the background, and he walks directly into the camera, you know, like which is in film school, you're kind of told that's a bit, it's a bit hacky, you know, I like to do that, and you've got this master directory in Martain school says he's making that choice. And I think what he's saying is like, this feels like it's a movie.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure this will make sense to you, but this feels like.
Speaker 2: A movie that knows it's a movie, you know what I mean, Like it's having fun within it to the point where there are things about Max Katie and his character and the things that he does that we don't even really question because this is basically a monster movie and Max is obviously the monster, and so we give it some license to be a bit silly. Are the questions that you had, like like almost like how did this?
Speaker 5: There was one moment that I remember saying to you as if there would happen. I can't remember where it was, but I think what I feel about this movie overalls, it's a little bit naff, it's a little bit cheesy, but I really enjoyed that about it, because, as you say, it's a movie that's trying to be a movie. It's not trying to be completely real, and it's entertaining.
Speaker 2: It's a pure piece of entertainment. If you were to put the lens over this, you would be questioning stuff like like when he records the threat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why was he recording? Was he recording everything?
Speaker 2: As far as I can remember, and I'm now I've now seen it, I think probably four times, Yeah, twice this week.
Speaker 1: There's no.
Speaker 2: Nothing to insinuate or direct us to believe that Max records conversations. Yeah, and this is having dinner, he's having a he's in a diner, reading the Bible, having a coffee, and Sam comes in and threatens him, and all of a sudden, he's recording a conversation. Now, when the shot is of Sam and it's over Max's shoulder, he does what he's for a very quick He puts his hand down and then goes back up, resting on the on the back crest of the diner that he's in. You could argue he could have pressed record on something, but I just don't know why he hesitate recorder and I don't know, like, why is he recording this conversation? Has he been recording all the conversations, because you do need to set up things like even the lighter, which very early on you see Max light his cigar and he's got his slight things in the when you're watching.
Speaker 3: The movie Booby Flat the Booby.
Speaker 1: Flash lighter, and you're like, I want that lighter, yeah.
Speaker 2: And that comes into play as we know at the end of the film, like does it, yes, because he lights his cigar and he gets set on fire.
Speaker 1: So it's it's kind of important.
Speaker 2: We don't think we're not supposed to think about these things, but subconsciously these things are going into your head that you are aware that Max does light cigars. You know, he talks about him being his vice, so that they are planting the idea. So if he just lights one cigar at the end of that movie, his first cigar, Angelie Lewis on him, it's not as satisfying, but we know that this has been the bread crumbs have been laid beforehand, so there seems been no bread crumbs as far as him recording conversations. So there's there's that. There's even there's a question about why when he gets beat up, why didn't he check behind the rubbish spin like where he's hiding. Well, what I would say is, I think Max has a plan, and his plans actually going perfectly because in these kind of movies, what you want. I mean, this is obviously a remake of the original kpe Fear, but there's been plenty of movies where it's about a monster, human monster kind of terrorizing a family, out for revenge for various reasons.
Speaker 1: What we what we want this monster to do?
Speaker 2: Though he's not just terrorist physically, he needs to be psychologically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 2: Also need to see that person, that individual who is the target to almost be losing everything and to and to be making force into making bad decisions. And Sam makes really bad decisions all the way through.
Speaker 3: And over and over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of them work, which is exactly what you want. But so I think maxis knows. I think he suspects it. He's there, oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: And he decides, no, this is part of my plan.
Speaker 3: Doesn't he call out his name? Yeah, so he does know he's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah so yeah, yeah, so I I just think he knows this is part of my plan.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to be rushed into making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I've got and he does have because he you know, he has a plan. He wants to put him on trial, and he wants to have his way with his family.
Speaker 3: He wants his way.
Speaker 5: You know, he's been in prison ruminating and coming up with this plan and going over and over and over in his mind, and he doesn't want it to be spoiled by this this brazen act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, Yeah, yeah, And there's I mean there's questions all the way through, like where towards the end and we're jumping around a bit, which is fine, But towards the end when he dresses up as he gets his normal Norman baits on and he dresses up as the the housekeeper.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 1: Where did you get the black wig from?
Speaker 3: I know? But there's what I love about this movie.
Speaker 5: As you said you touched on earlier, there's so many parts in this movie where, if you really thought about it, you're like how did that happen?
Speaker 3: And how could this happen? And how could this happen?
Speaker 5: And they do it and they're like, we don't give a fuck, And I love that they don't care. Yes, you know, it's what makes it so so unique and so brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love I love that you you love that. The The thing also about this is you realize that everyone in that family loses something that's you got would argue is the most important thing or one of the most important things to them. Yeah. In that the daughter Danielle Julie Lewis, she loses the housekeeper. She almost sees it. It's almost a surrogate mum in a way. Lee Jessica Lang loses the dog, which is like it, and they make the point, this is your dog, it's his mum's dog. Usually when you have a dog in the family, is that dog?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, like yeah, but it's they make the point, and there's no accident in a Mountain Scorsese film, like they're making the points.
Speaker 1: It sleeves dog.
Speaker 3: So then the dead loses his detective friend. Who does he.
Speaker 1: Lose his mistress?
Speaker 8: Oh of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And you've also got the you've also got losing things in the sense of, you know, the daughter loses her innocence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the wife loses her marriage to trust a new marriage what sounds like it was already lost anyway.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Apparently it's got says resisted doing this film because he thought the family in the earlier drafts were too happy. And I love the murkiness that has been ejected into this film because it's interesting that he's having this. They're playing he's playing squash with this younger woman who he works with, and they do they said there's no accidents. They do say nothing's happened, and then Lola, I think, says nothing's happened yet, you know, Yeah, so we know there's been a breach of not physical but emotional has been in the emotional treeson here, and then later on we find out that this has kind of happened before, maybe to a more serious extent, where he's been unfaithful.
Speaker 5: In the marriage, and that part of it that really reps a you emotionally too, because it's so it's so real. So many marriages and relationships that I know have been through those exact trials and tribulations.
Speaker 3: And my heart just went out for the wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, so you've got this whole realistic, emotional, kind of underlying story with the family the whole way through.
Speaker 1: And you're not sure, like, is he a man who has made mistakes and now is genuinely trying to like maybe ten.
Speaker 2: Years earlier, whenever the fees took place, if he would have been sleeping with that Lola character, Yeah, he hasn't, And we can't judge any kind of future intentions.
Speaker 1: We don't know, like, there's nothing to say that he's planning on.
Speaker 5: Leaving personally, I think he definitely intends to, and he's playing with fire.
Speaker 2: And these these digs that the wife makes about you know, you know, you're used to playing dirty and all of that.
Speaker 3: And definitely don't like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is.
Speaker 2: A really interesting thing to have as your protagonist, somebody who's like the idea is, you know, more conventional filmmaking is you make your your protagonists like the.
Speaker 1: Hero of the story. There's no real clear defined hero.
Speaker 2: Potentially it is Lee, Jessica Lang and Danielle, you know, the daughter who kind of save the day, you know, at least help save the day and at least and we'll get to that those moments later, but put themselves on the line.
Speaker 5: But almost for her, it's a sad story because his wife and his daughter are having to go through all of this because of his mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And that's something that is important in these kinds of films where everything and we mentioned it before, everything Sam does like he can't do nothing because it's not interesting to watch a character in a movie do nothing, So we do need him. He rests the idea of like crossing the legal line, and then he's and we understand why we kind of we're supporting him in a way of going, no, get rid of this monster. He's threatening your family. But nothing, nothing works, Nothing works. There's the murkiness, of course, about what the central I guess thing in this movie that the movie doesn't happen without it is what happened between Max and Sam originally that resulted in Max serving fourteen years, yeah, prison time, which is Sam burying some information that came through about the rape victim being promiscuous, and he buried that knowing that Max had raped before and will rape again, and he'd seen the result of that rape, and he made basically his own moral compass a choice to bury that information.
Speaker 5: Which was surprising because I already didn't like this guy, and then you learn this piece of information that kind of shows, oh, he does there is something in him that does have good morals.
Speaker 3: But even knowing that, I still don't like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting because you can understand Max what Max is within his rights not to do what he does, but to be furious. Yeah, and Sam doesn't think he's confused as to why he knows. He doesn't know that maxic going to go and learn teachers how to read and then representing himself in court. Then he finds out about you know, when he's representing himself in court, he finds out about this information because he's got access to it now, so he could not have foreseen that.
Speaker 1: But Max is within his rights.
Speaker 2: You are entitled to the you know, the best possible defense a lawyer can provide, and a defense lawyer and we all have moral you know, like morally we always question how can you defend someone who does that? Of course, but there are peers system at and so he has not done his job.
Speaker 1: But we also understand, I think Sam's one of you.
Speaker 2: When we're in a way thankful for that, because like, yeah, a sixteen year old's promiscuous ways should not result in her.
Speaker 3: He deserves to be exactly.
Speaker 1: So in a way, I thank you for doing that and keeping this monster off the street for fourteen years.
Speaker 2: So you got this too. It's brilliant because he got this to sides. You can kind of see you can see Max's point of view. Yeah, and you can see Sam's point of view.
Speaker 5: How did Max find out if Sam buried information? How on earth did Max find that out from prison?
Speaker 1: Because he starts representing himself in retrials.
Speaker 5: And what and did they have to provide? I just don't understand how he found that piece of paper if he got rid of it.
Speaker 1: I don't Well, he said he buried it.
Speaker 2: When I say buried, he obviously put it somewhere if he said something like, you know, I burnt it or you like, but I I just just he just put it in the files, like that piece of evidence still exists.
Speaker 5: I just would have thought, if you were going to do something corrupt like that, wouldn't you make damn sure it was not able to be found again?
Speaker 2: Because I think, and this is I think this is part of Max always thinking that people think they're better than him. I just think Sam thought this was low hanging fruit, and he's white trash.
Speaker 1: You can't read.
Speaker 2: True, is white trash, scum of the earth. This will not come back to buy me.
Speaker 5: And he keeps saying the whole way through, I'm not white trash and better than you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ye.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was so white.
Speaker 2: Well you know mean, I've seen the movie four times and you'll senatece once once. Yes, so I've got an advantage and always say this. This podcast is about somebody processing a film they have just seen.
Speaker 3: In real time.
Speaker 5: In real time, one thing I would like to talk to you about Wilet's in my mind. I found myself very interested in his here and the way he would go and curve perfectly comb it back, because I feel like that's quite a trademark thing through the generations of characters like his or like maybe even the cool guy character of the naughty boy character. There's kind of this trend through those ages of getting the comb out and you know you've done something quite manly and aggressive it and they bring the comb out and they like perfectly comb their hairback, and is there like quite a is there like a thing.
Speaker 2: I think I'll talk in regards to Max. I think there's a a certain vanity to him. I think he doesn't want to be seen as why it's trash.
Speaker 1: It's quite well dressed. You might think it's you know, I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might think it looks ridiculous, but you know he's wearing nice shirt. He's driving a cat seems to be a Cadillac. Yeah. Yeah, he kind of takes pride in himself. Yeah, so I think, and that's why I like, Yeah, I love the first thing you see is him doing this workout, you know, with his top off in prison, and that tells us he's about to be let go. And the last thing he does with re leaves, he does a workout, Like is the man who takes some has still got some pride in himself. Yeah, yeah, So so yeah, let's talk about let's talk about Juliet Lewis.
Speaker 5: Which is weird though, isn't it that you've got this man who rapes people and yet and so he can't be too concerned with his reputation, and yet he does have these really these real elements to him, weary, very much.
Speaker 3: As concerned about how he's seen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's this weird dichotomy exists, like these two weird opposite things that exists at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I think that's what I love about the murkiness. There are so many films where it's it's just too it's so black a mite. You know, the hero is the hero and the villain of the villain that there's no there's no crossover. But yeah, the you know, Sam does some moral stuff, yeah, you know, and Max doesn't do anything. I was struggled to thinking he does anything good. I'm not sure he does anything, but he talks about being good and being righteous.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He talks to Danielle in the order tore him about forgiving her parents and that, you know, I'm here to he sees himself as a savior. Yeah, I mean that scene. Let's talk about that scene. And Julia Lewis who I think he's phenomenal in this.
Speaker 3: Oh she's beautiful, isn't she.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: First role, first role, first role. One of it was the first. She was the first person they auditioned, and they went on to look at five hundred other young actresses.
Speaker 1: Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 2: Audition Sarah Jessica Parker, and they they did not obviously did not get it, but yeah, brand new acting and just played it very naturally, was not was not technically trained.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I loved about her is she was so delicate and soft spoken, and the way she was behaving was it didn't look like acting. Yeah, you know, it very much felt like you were just in the room with her, and that's how she would react in real life.
Speaker 3: It was. Yeah, it didn't look taught or constructed.
Speaker 2: And she wasn't. She wasn't like a stereotypically surly teenager. She had some she had some miller dorky, Yeah, little bit dorkie.
Speaker 1: She has some mood.
Speaker 2: There are times when she was like happy to be around her parents and other times where she was not really you know, like she's a bit judgy on them, and which is kind of I feel like three boys, and I can see that there are times when they're they're happy to have a laugh with you and are on board, and other times when they're like, oh god, you know, you know, so I think that's a pretty accurate kind of portrayal. Let's have a listen to that amazing scene, which may be the most remembered scene and record scene of.
Speaker 1: Cape Fear, which is Max.
Speaker 2: Katie gets Danielle to the auditorium under the pretense that he is the drama teacher, but takes a different turn.
Speaker 4: Every man carries a circle of hell around his head like a halo. You're daddy too, every man. Every man has to go through hell to reach his paradise. You know what paradise is, yeah, salvation? Because your dad is not happy, your mommy's not happy, and you know what, you're not happy?
Speaker 1: How are you not? You thought about me last night, didn't you?
Speaker 3: M Yes, I did, I know.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I might have found a companion, companion for that long walk to the lad.
Speaker 1: Do you matter if I put my arm around you?
Speaker 2: And then it gets it gets creepy. He doesn't that he's armor, right, Well, he doesn't really do that at all. In the end, he basically it's his hand, you know, comes gently across the face and then puts his thumb in her mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she kind of sucks it a little bit weird loud.
Speaker 3: Feels so weird to hear that out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then you know he takes it about and then he puts it back in with a bit more force. Yeah.
Speaker 2: At the moment, you're not sure if she is enjoying it or if she is just under being forced into this situation. It's and then then by the end of the scene where she runs out crying, you kind of go, no, she she was in fear.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought that she played very well. I feel like you could see that she was a.
Speaker 3: Young, naive girl who part of it, part.
Speaker 5: Of her really liked feeling special and feeling noticed by the sky. And I feel like there was this fight within her of oh my gosh, you know, I think this older guy is showing me interest, like me interest, but also knowing that it wasn't quite right.
Speaker 3: And I feel like there was just this in a war within her about which one she was supposed to give into.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. And to see her the wheels, the cogs in her.
Speaker 3: Mind her brain played there brilliant.
Speaker 2: She played it so well, like it's a real extraordinarily nuanced performances beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of those really cheesy things where I'm like, she see it so much without saying at all, yeah, you know, just with the slight twitches of her facial expressions.
Speaker 2: And then it's just she runs out and she's crying, and that doesn't necessarily like You're still right in asking questions and like was she what was she thinking in that moment? Like it could have been once he was gone, that it dawned on the like fuck, like yeah, or was all that in her the whole time? Behind the scenes this was improvised. And also there's a there's a big open mouth kiss. Yes that I would assume there was some tongue involved by judging by what we saw, and I'm not sure if the kiss was scripted, but certainly the thumb in the mouth was improvised, says he said to Juliet Lewis, Denia is going to do something a bit different. I don't know if he said go along with it or whatever. I don't want to put those words in martains his mouth, but just that will happen. Be aware they shut this scene only three times, and apparently the first the first take is what they used. So that's extraordinary, and.
Speaker 3: That he was I don't want to say Ryan doing it because I don't think it is right. Well, it's just great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a very quick discussion and we wanted to keep more for the podcast. But you know, would an actor get away with doing this in today's climate? You know, now you have intimacy coordinators on set where things are spoken about Julie Lewis is nineteen.
Speaker 1: Oh, he would have been forty.
Speaker 5: Really, I suspect, and I kind of think if you're talking if in the essence of it, like, I don't really think that it's right, Hence why we're saying you'd never get away with that today. But if you're looking at it purely from just an acting point of view, I mean, the fact that they got the best take in the first take shows that what he was trying to do, which was get a genuine reaction from you know, maybe her shock or yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean it worked for what he was.
Speaker 1: Doing, and asolutely works what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I guess the question would be, is that does that justify where do you draw the line? Yeah, sticking your thumb into somebody's mouth is a pretty intense.
Speaker 3: Move, Which would you do you think.
Speaker 2: When I went to the jungle, Dicode did that to me, and I was like, this is this is weird.
Speaker 3: I do that to you too. I just thought that's what we were all doing. I thought it was a challenge.
Speaker 5: But do you think that, I mean, do you think it made the movie enough that if she maybe did it ten less good because it wasn't a surprise, that it would have made that big of an impact, Like how important do you think that was?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It really so hard to.
Speaker 1: It's a really good question.
Speaker 2: And I can understand why directors and actors may want to save something and do some improvisation, because there are some things that are hard to act. Like really, I think so impressive, like we oh, you know, because these really good actors they know exactly what's about to happen, and the trick they have to play is is to not they have any idea as to what's about to happen.
Speaker 1: It's a really you know, it's a really hard thing to do.
Speaker 3: I could never be an actress. There was so much respect for actors.
Speaker 1: I could never be I could be an actor.
Speaker 2: I could ever be a great actor, you know, because I I'm not sure if I have.
Speaker 1: That ability to completely look like I don't know what's about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you for agreeing with you, Thank you, thank you. I was actually looking for validation. Okay, you're not getting my thumb in your mouth. Anytime soon.
Speaker 3: I know about it.
Speaker 5: I just just giving yourself to a production and getting yourself in their mind space.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it, no, And there is something glorious about discovering moments within a scene, you know. But I think today there's been enough infractions and people crossing the line where you're going to go, well that if we miss out on the occasional piece of brilliance for people to feel safe in their work environment. And I think that's a compromise. I think we're all okay to make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with the age difference.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure they didn't have intimacy coordinators back in the day.
Speaker 2: She certainly did not, and Julie Lewis, for the record, loves the scene, had no issue with it, and she kind of entered this not really knowing how amazing de Niro was, wasn't It was a bit naive as far as who was who and all that, so it wasn't particularly intimidated. She said, he was a great scene partner and has no kind of regrets or.
Speaker 5: Like when I became your friend and everyone's like, do you know that he's on row?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did not miss a minute. Prisons the jungle. I was like, ah, hoping Hannah would be here, Okay, I'll deal with this.
Speaker 5: Hannah would have been cac two point zero. We all know she knows that I've said that to her face, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she shouldn't have lasted.
Speaker 3: Oh god, no, she would have been miserable in there.
Speaker 5: What I enjoyed about the follow on from that thummy mouse scene was when she was back in her bedroom and her dad was talking to her about it. You could see that there was this little seed in her, like it was almost this schoolgirl, naughty little crush maybe, And I felt like there was part of her that quite enjoyed that she had this secret relationship with a bad guy. And if things hadn't escalated with Max, I think she would have happily, like found it quite exciting to establish a proper relationship with him and see where it went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think you're actually right again. So beautifully played she was.
Speaker 5: She just the way she got all of that across with the most subtle movements of her face.
Speaker 3: She's brilliant at nineteen.
Speaker 2: And again Sam the character fucking up again, like making it worse for himself, but getting up having his mouth over you know, which is you know, like it is a reference resisted the thumb being in her mouth and he's got his hand over her mouth almost squeezing her cheeks. Yeah, his own daughter. It's like you've made another choice and it's a fucking another bad choice.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you are fucking this up.
Speaker 3: The whole scene was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. Yeah, and I understood.
Speaker 5: I understood it because I think me as a teenage girl, this part of me that would have gotten off on being like, oh, they don't know that I actually have something special with this guy that they hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she is kind of at war a little bit.
Speaker 2: As much as we're saying there are times when they're getting long, and they were, but they've had They've gone to war with each other a.
Speaker 1: Couple of times.
Speaker 2: I think there was references to her being caught with marijuana and she got in trouble for that, so there is, you know, there's some tension between them, so she and also she just does not I think it's very accurate she maybe does not know the seriousness of this discussion because she has not been told the full truth about Max Katie.
Speaker 5: You know, like, I definitely don't think she knew the full extent of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that says she certainly doesn't know that he raped a sixteen year old. Another interesting thing about the movie is to go back to the rape and beating of Lola and then she won't testify she is involved. It does make you know, it's a point really worth making about the judicial system and victims of rape, where even she knows what it's like for somebody like that dude who has been sexually a solo or raped to go through the legal system, and as much as she's part of the legal system and you would think, well, you know, you shouldn't be the one who stands up. She knows that she is going to be shamed throughout that trial, that she is going to be have to justify why she was in that bar while she was drinking so much, why she was wearing what she was wearing, why she went back to where you know, and it will also by questions potentially about her relationship with Sam and so I think that's also there's a good point the filmmakes along the way.
Speaker 5: Do you think that she was also worried about if she testified him coming and finishing the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially the brazen nature of it, Like it's more brazen that he didn't kill her in a way, because it's like it's a small town. Yeah, he's beaten her, like bitten, cheek off, and then he just hangs around town.
Speaker 3: I was very surprised he didn't kill her.
Speaker 1: Well, I assumed even when I was and I saw it many many years ago when I was released.
Speaker 2: But he kills you know, yeah, same, Oh no, she's still alive. Yeah, very brazen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I agree, these great deeper messages that are dotted in here along the way, as every great movie should.
Speaker 2: Then you have this trap that gets played which is kind of floated earlier by Robert Mitcham, who plays a detective. And a fun little fact here is that Robert Mitcham and Gregory pack appear in this film. They both appeared in the ninety sixty two film as Gregory Peck played Sam, which is an acknowledge role, and Robert Mitcham was Max.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that to us.
Speaker 2: There's a little switcheroo here where Gregory Peck probably plays this the lawyer in this Atticus Finch the greater. I mean, Gregory Peck's one of the autopic Mockingbird fantastic, and he plays the kind of like whether he's sleezy is I mean in the way I guess he's doing his job, But he does go really hard at Sam. But then again Sam has actually organized for his client to be beaten. And Robert Mitchi he played Max, he's now playing a role on the good guy side, if you like, as a detective. But he does float earlier the idea of setting a trap where you, you know, if you want to get the monster out of the shrub, you have your goats in the open, and the idea that the monster will come out to take the goats. He's referring to it Sam's family. Yeah, he's like, I'm not going I'm not going to do that. But then it goes to the point where he's like, well, I need to do something, and we're going to do this plan with the detective who loves his Jack Daniels and pepto bismo, which, yeah.
Speaker 5: What have you tried that combat combination? No, hipto bismol. That's like an antie what do you call it?
Speaker 3: Reflux?
Speaker 1: Reflux? Yeah, so it's like my Atlanta kind of.
Speaker 8: Yeah vibe, and I feel like they would bubble or kurdel ors something not keep them separated.
Speaker 3: I think absolutely got to keep them separad.
Speaker 2: It what nice straight after that? Yea, hell to the offspring. If you're listening, I would.
Speaker 3: Love to see the offspring if anyone's got some tickets.
Speaker 1: Going, I've bet the Offspring them a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, Oh my god, I love the Offspring.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was going to see them in Germany, but I forgot to buy tickets.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, I took a photo of them you know where I'm actually keeping them separated and laugh laughing hysterically while they look very unimpressed.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 1: So we set that photo up that was they're fun guys.
Speaker 3: Cool, fun guys full of angst or not.
Speaker 1: Really they're happy with that a lot.
Speaker 5: Well, anyway, if anyone listening wants to buy me tickets to a show somewhere, my m box is open.
Speaker 1: Done soul.
Speaker 2: The trap is to to make it look like Sam has gone on a plane taking the trip into State. He seems to board the plane. We don't see him on the plane, but we see I think, go through the gate. I think I do wonder how he gets how he gets off the plane.
Speaker 5: So I don't even thought about how he gets off the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then makes it back through the car park because Max is there.
Speaker 1: Max seems to be a guy who pays attention.
Speaker 5: This is another one of those which I this time, this is another massive question that we just allow the movie to brush it over. Yes, how there's no way in hell there's such a small door that goes down the gangway. So he going back through that door without an ear host is noticing, and without Max noticing.
Speaker 2: Well, Max is basically there the whollowing them. And I don't think Max is the kind of guy he gets distracted easily. No, but whether maybe we don't see him even go on that walkway towards the plane. But even if we don't, I still feel Max would have seen that he's paying Attention's not that far away.
Speaker 3: And also as someone that is a frequent flyer.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, you've got some miles.
Speaker 5: How bad are these disk people at their job that they're scanning some one's ticket and they're not noticing them not walk down the gangway?
Speaker 2: That plane would not take off, No, it wouldn't. It'll be and be there would be announcements, Actually, wouldn't they there would there'll be mister over there, Sam Bowden, Yeah, and Travis Travis apologies to mister Bickle. Max would be like, hang on a second, you think it on the plane?
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, sitting the trap form another massive hole here that I actually love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, let's welcome. I love the holes. I love the holes.
Speaker 1: We won't take that out of context at all.
Speaker 2: And there are movies where plot holes drive your nuts, holes ability holes, they can send you crazy. But this one's not one of those movies.
Speaker 3: No, because you don't take it that seriously.
Speaker 5: If it was a movie feigning, you know, wanting to be serious, I would talk about it till the cows came home. I'd ring up, I'd ring up my granny, my grandpa, anyone that would listen. Have you showing the floor and the story. But this might I just lea U.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, let the cows stay up late.
Speaker 3: I don't care if they come back, didn't come home.
Speaker 1: Why are you watching a movie?
Speaker 3: Jeez, woman, you gotta lay show on these things. You gotta loosen up.
Speaker 2: And then they set the trap, and part of it involves obviously the old mat the detective and some fishing wire and The Teddy Bear. There's a lovely line where he goes to kind of take umbradge with his daughter Danielle, and she says, yeah, they all go, you'll stay down, and she says, you're not allowed to stand up, dad, And she says it it's a bit of attitude, and it's a great line because it's not just talking about I think that physical moment and act of standing up. It's also like he's emasculated through this whole kind of movie.
Speaker 3: You know, he deserves to be real.
Speaker 2: He makes a very feeble effort to get him to stop laughing in the cinema.
Speaker 1: There's changing seats by the way. I don't think anyone's laughed at that movie like that much at all.
Speaker 2: But there's times when he hasn't acted like the keeper of the house, if you like, in the way that traditionally he would see a man should behave.
Speaker 3: Why did she say that to him? Again? Was it was she pested him at the time.
Speaker 2: I think there's subtext to what she says. So he got up to say, I forget what the argument was or what she had said kind of spark him up, but he got up. He was like below the blinds, and then he got up to go to her, probably put his hand over her mouth again, and she says, you're not let to sound up that because everyone's like, get down, get down.
Speaker 5: Do you think there was a little part of her that was still feeling something.
Speaker 3: I think I think she's.
Speaker 1: I think she's going to pissed off of the whole situation.
Speaker 2: When they get out of the car and he kind of yeah, sneaks out of the carney, they've hit him back and they're in the garage. She does have I didn't note that she had a bit of a surly, kind of right bored expressions like this is a hassle to have to go through this. I can't believe that's gonna my dad, my family's going to raid my mom in the houseboat.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is embarrassing m L.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: A lot of smoking in bed too.
Speaker 5: Disgusting, they won't stop smoking, and a lot of like, you know, we we we touched on this in the lounge earlier. How that first time that they made love and they got out of bed and she got up and went and put lipstick on, and I was like, why why does she get up and put have you ever. Have you ever made love to bridge and gotten up and put and got enough and put lipstick on afterwards?
Speaker 1: I haven't put.
Speaker 5: Has she got enough and put lipstick on? When it is very much night time and you were already a slate?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We all have our post sex rituals. Yes, what was yours? Again?
Speaker 3: It's I like to high five.
Speaker 5: We say thanks for the mean route, very romantic in our household.
Speaker 3: What was yours?
Speaker 1: We ended a half hour with the chest bump?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, nice, We should.
Speaker 1: Get out of bed, and they were like, run up to each other and give it.
Speaker 3: However, a run up you want to too much?
Speaker 5: You know, you don't want to burst any boobies. No, from the other end of the room.
Speaker 2: Or I like about two or three meters away. Perfect, and sometimes every time right we start up again?
Speaker 1: Really yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, god, I don't have to be a fly on that.
Speaker 2: This is your Does your half five ever lead to a high ten or a you know one on the side to slow?
Speaker 5: It's never deviated from one single high five.
Speaker 3: And then I usually run off to the toilet to release the content. That's about it. I think we make some noodles.
Speaker 1: I feel it went from comic call to way too much information.
Speaker 2: I feel like, I'm not sure if I believed the high five thing, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 1: I think I think, I think I need some Jack danielsons a pepto bismo.
Speaker 3: Oh jo me both brother.
Speaker 2: The murders happened, and like we said, where does he get the black wig from? That was that was strange, but again we don't care. And another element to this, which is again brave choice from Scorsese. It's just slipping over in the blood.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh that made me physically flinch, like what are you doing to the crime scene.
Speaker 1: It's almost slapstick.
Speaker 2: Then just a lank comes over and she slips over in it.
Speaker 1: You almost wanted for Julie Lewis to get involved.
Speaker 5: And I wondered if I wondered if after he slipped in the blood, they would try and spin it like that placed the murder on him because he had the gun and he was covered in the blood.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to go that direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, that's fair because usually again there are no accidents. I think it's just it feels like a very human moment. I mean, it is amusing, but it feels very human. That could potentially happen, and then that's just kind of like the double murder should be enough.
Speaker 1: But I guess it's enough to we all know the frustration of.
Speaker 3: Murdering two people were in their blood. It's so annoying.
Speaker 1: How many times does that happen on blow Deck.
Speaker 3: All the time? Yeah, it's so frustrating, and the decan has to deal with the take. I know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't care what the primaries are asking for. What is the weirdest request you've got from a primary.
Speaker 1: WED request?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, are you angry about the question?
Speaker 3: Listen, pain, Yes, you know my qualms with this question. You know how I can't remember any movies.
Speaker 5: You know how they erases the exact same thing happens with guest requests. Now, every interview that I go on to, the people love the last They save it till right until the end. They think they're building up to this huge, you know, climax, and they're like, now, tell us, tell us ocean, and I am like, fuck, here we go, tell us.
Speaker 3: What's the cortiest thing? I guess is asked for? And I have sat for hours. Genuinely, once I sat for two hours and I racked my brains. I was like, what about this strip? What about this strip?
Speaker 5: Trying to think of the weirdest thing someone has asked for, and I just cannot think of anything.
Speaker 1: I wasn't aware of that, so I do apologize. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Very interesting, crazy question to me. Apologize, you're a bust. We did have a runny joke in the jungle of trying to sneak that question in as many times as we could once we found out that you hate that question.
Speaker 5: So if anyone is working on yachts and has a crazy request that you could message me and feel comfortable with me using as my own story.
Speaker 1: Reach out.
Speaker 5: It really helped me out. I just can't think of anything now.
Speaker 3: The double murder.
Speaker 5: What I want to talk about with this murder, which I realized as we're talking about it.
Speaker 3: It's so swiftly moved on to the next scene.
Speaker 5: We don't even see like a police investigation about these murders.
Speaker 2: No, well, I think we want to stay with the family at that point.
Speaker 1: I think we want to go back.
Speaker 2: We know that Max is under the car again, I'm not sure what the probability of that.
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying.
Speaker 1: That's so you know, so unrealistic, but again we love it. It would be carried in the Simpsons many years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we do have of the phone call that samplets in saying, I think reasonably he knows it looks bad running from a crime scene, but you find Max Katie and then we will come back and not before them, which I think is reasonable. They're unaware, of course he has hitched a ride under their car by using his belt.
Speaker 3: What was the belt attached to pete under carriage?
Speaker 1: I don't know enough about car.
Speaker 3: What part of the undercarriage? Tell me mission of his belt.
Speaker 5: So you're telling me he was hooked underneath this car from the waist and he has got a strong enough torso that he can keep his neck and shoulders above the ground for that long. And you're telling me that on that drive, the whole way the road was so flat.
Speaker 3: That there was nothing he could have had his head on.
Speaker 5: There was no undulations and the kangaroo that can go.
Speaker 3: Well, I wasn't thinking that.
Speaker 5: But you know, pulling into a when you put into a pictrol station in the States in the area, nine times out of ten you're going to go over rocks the car.
Speaker 2: The car does seem like it's been lifted, it's been altered. I'm not sure Max to that.
Speaker 3: Maybe he did. I feel he probably did.
Speaker 2: I feel like, if you're running from a madman and you after some safety, the last place you go he's a place called Cape Fear. Yes, I feel like, even if it's just as an omen, I wouldn't have gone there.
Speaker 5: And which, Okay, so when he's stripped, I know I'm getting I'm dialing into this probably a bit too much.
Speaker 3: I'm being obsessed.
Speaker 5: But when he was when he was under the car, was he feet first or head first?
Speaker 2: He's I think he's I think his head was down the passenger and the trunk.
Speaker 5: And if you like, so, how tall would you say? Here it's like six foot four.
Speaker 1: I think he's six ft four, six foot.
Speaker 5: And you're telling me those long legs he was able to keep hold us.
Speaker 2: Very strong core. I mean, if you see Hi works out in jail, you must have the planting king he was in that prison, he would.
Speaker 3: Have broken the world planking record.
Speaker 1: Yes, very strong core.
Speaker 5: Anyway, none of it's believable, but again that's why we love it.
Speaker 2: She gets down there and they get on the boat. Now you swear you had some questions about is this a river? Is it a bay, because I would like to know, yeah, yes, and questions there was a squall coming in.
Speaker 3: There's a squall coming in, and how aggressive.
Speaker 1: That it got wild pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: The body of water was swaying around like nobody's business, as though you were out in the open ocean. I am telling you, if they were in a river, which is what it looked like to me, there is no way in hell the river would be creating these bulbous, aggressive waves like that. No chance at all, no chance, and even just you know when they do that shot from above him and the boats spinning as though it's like you know, on Twister and you've got their dial in the middle and news flick it with your finger and it goes it's it's spinning with almost the ease of that, And I'm like, there's just no way about that size and that weight would be spinning with that much ease and a flaming rebbe well anywhere.
Speaker 1: I agree. Does not change how I feel about the movie.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not. I'm not We're not doing that, Pete. I'm not poo pooing on the movie. I'm pooing on the facts we which don't need to be correct. I'm just making statements.
Speaker 1: Max and Max Max's plan he's done to come together.
Speaker 2: This is where he sees his opportunity to execute his plan, which is basically to put Sam on trial himself.
Speaker 1: Things get pretty tense. He basically takes out Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he goes again another beautiful mind from Juliet Lewis where he's asking about her and has he read the book that he left her? And she's not playing it so well, like she obviously hasn't read any of it and she's just trying to play it and she throws gets the hot water in his face.
Speaker 3: Year is always was so brave of her. What's the wife doing nothing?
Speaker 1: Well, she has a moment.
Speaker 2: She has a moment soon and and the thing that monster movies is you always have to kill the monster at least three times usually most Yeah, well you can't.
Speaker 1: Just you think of a movie where there's we'll call it the monster.
Speaker 2: It could be Hiven, it could be an actual monster, and you know it gets stabbed or something, it's never dead.
Speaker 1: And then you know you've always got to beat it at least I think three or four times. It is the first attempt.
Speaker 3: I think, what's another monster, incredible Hulk?
Speaker 2: Well, you know star Wars villain, Starfader impression you you did earlier?
Speaker 3: My brother, my brother Luke. Does he get wait who No, it's not Luke, what Luke Skywalker do?
Speaker 1: What is a Jedi?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's not let's not get there. And then she she gets put in the in the in the hole. It's a whole of the hold, you know your boats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's saying hole. I think that's why I thought he was meaning. I thought he was going to put her under, because then there you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, there would be a hole, and then there's there's you know, he begins what we think is going to be.
Speaker 1: He's going to rape Lee. She goes for his gun.
Speaker 2: He realized, realizes and puts that on hold, and he remembers that he's still got his his trial to get through. Let's have a little listen to him putting Sam on trial.
Speaker 3: Would you call the cold why?
Speaker 10: Yes, I know he raped her and talk to me just because it was promiscuous to give me the right to raper. Did you pray to me that you beat two prior agre fate of rates. You are a man, You are my lawyer. You were my lawyer. That report will have saved me fourteen years. Probably right, you self have this love.
Speaker 3: On Virgil Counselor, and I'm getting usificates of him.
Speaker 10: We are now in the ninth circle, the circle of traitors, for racist to country, traits, to fellow man, to racers, to God.
Speaker 3: You, sir, are charge would betraying the principles of all freight.
Speaker 7: Can you please quote for me the American Bar Association to rules of professional conduct Cannon seven.
Speaker 10: Lewis should represent his prior.
Speaker 3: So jealously represent his clad within the bounds of the law. Can I find you guilty, Counselor, kilty.
Speaker 10: And betray your fellow man killed to betraying your content, guilty of labrogating your oath. Journey has judging.
Speaker 3: Me and selling me out.
Speaker 10: And when the power fested me by the Kingdom of God, I sent you to the night shouting of hell.
Speaker 1: No, you well learn.
Speaker 10: About loss Losu's freedom, loss of humanity.
Speaker 3: Now you and I will truly be the same.
Speaker 1: Chuck.
Speaker 2: He had shades of Jules from Pulp Fiction with the speech he gives Samuel Samuel Jackson, I think one of room.
Speaker 1: There's something in his voice, and I guess all the biblical talk takes me to that.
Speaker 2: But also he sounded funnily enough to me, he sounded more like Albert Cino than he did Robert de Niro, which is the two actors who have been you know, synonymous with each other for their entire careers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was fascinating to see him put him on trial.
Speaker 2: This is, of course, after he's been burnt by the by the incredible plan again from young Danielle. He had puts a light of fluid when she's in the hole, she puts a light of fluid down in front of her jeans and then waits.
Speaker 1: She knows that he'll light a cigar at some point I thought she She.
Speaker 5: Also holds up two little like files or something, which I also thought. I thought she was going to stick that through the through the gap and the and the doors maybe and use it to fleck up that lock that was on the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't sure if that In the end, it was just her kind of searching, rummaging rummaging.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But for me, while I was listening to his speech, he obviously remembered and knew the legal system very well.
Speaker 3: I just I was so jealous how much.
Speaker 5: Reading time he had. Yeah, you know, IM measuring that much time. No responsibilities, no cares, just reading.
Speaker 1: Just working his way up.
Speaker 2: I think, like Lucky, if he goes to the zoo or something like that, he talks about the books that he kind of started reading, their obviously kids books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he had.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of time, and he had fourteen years. And he's not shy to remind us that he had fourteen years. He knows his stuff, and he also reminds us that he is a monster. I want to go back and play when he gets burnt and he comes back and he's holding the flare Yeah, I think this is after he comes back to Brilliant and and the I'm not sure what that kind of liquid is, A bubbling I don't know either. I don't know flarees well enough to know what that is. But it's bubbling over onto his hand, obviously.
Speaker 1: Burning his hand.
Speaker 2: And he's got a great line here where he says that he's worked to make himself. I think it's like I've worked to make myself more than human. My mission is to become more than human.
Speaker 3: I think because what did what did? What did they try to do to him first? And it didn't hurt him? And then so he did that to prove how strong, how like how strong he is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this might have been the hot water. Actually years he was the hot water.
Speaker 2: So bravetent by Danielle to throw the hot water at him, and this is his response by holding it, lighting a flair and holding it.
Speaker 1: Let's get something stay here.
Speaker 4: I spent fourteen years in an a finite city surrounded by people who were less than humor.
Speaker 1: My mission in that time has to become more than human. You see, Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church.
Speaker 8: Grand and drank strictnes as you could say, I had a leg up, which it was speaking.
Speaker 2: It's a great reminder at a really great time that he is going to be hard to kill. And you need to, like I said, you need to gonna You're gonna have to try a couple of times, uh to do it. There's was a moment which I am I have gone a little bit out of order, but I want to it's worth pointing out and maybe playing a little bit of it.
Speaker 1: Where Lee does have her moment. You you need her to have her moment.
Speaker 2: You want the mom to the turn into that lineless and protects her daughter, but she basically offers herself and tries to show fake it's a fake connection to Max.
Speaker 11: Next, and so I started, I've said about you all the time, tried to imagine what it must have been like for you.
Speaker 3: Are those years lucked.
Speaker 11: I've tried to imagine you and even your crimes and how you must have felt in those moments.
Speaker 3: That you did them. You see, I know about loss, I know.
Speaker 11: About losing time, even losing years, and I know it doesn't come here to jail, but.
Speaker 6: I can understand and I could share this with you because of that. Whatever it is that you've got, can I want you to do it just with me, because.
Speaker 7: We have connection.
Speaker 1: She has that connection, which again it's a plea. It's a very brave thing to do.
Speaker 2: Obviously the boat eventually, in a way it's funny because and you know, again there's no accidents. In the Scorse script, he talked about the force Mageur, which is an act of God, and he's seeing Max Katie is an act of God.
Speaker 1: But really it is this act of God, this squall, this storm that comes from actually kind of saves them in the end.
Speaker 3: The boat venient timing is convenient, absolutely, which we don't usually love convenience in movies.
Speaker 1: But and you know, we get the bait whether it works or not. But the boat really capitulates.
Speaker 5: Oh and the way their boat falls a butt as someone who's merely worked on lursen belts, you know, boats that are just built luxury boats, luxury boats. I'm even even the worst boat at the Gendy would not fall apart in the manner that that fall apart. And then the boat falls apart, and you're like, oh, how convenient. The one patch of wood that he happens to be lying on has caught on a rock and is hanging around so they can have this conversation. It's it's very those classic like that would never happen, but we love it.
Speaker 1: So we love it.
Speaker 2: And it's you know, you can you can come. If you're watching closer, you can see it's like a model boat. You know that there's some trickery going on. They end up on the on the on the shores, and and and the one piece of boat that seems to still be floating is that Max Katie is a handcuffed too.
Speaker 3: So they can have their beautiful last scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where he basically crushes him with a rock. He still survives it. Amazingly, you didn't because the rock didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, it looks like he goes to go down and then realizes that as you went down.
Speaker 2: He shot to do believe he did hit him with a rock, But the way I would watch it, I agree, Like the way it's cut, it looks like he kind of yeah, it was like as.
Speaker 5: As he brought it up just before he comes down, he doesn't realize that he's shifting away.
Speaker 1: And I would argue that there's no way he would have survived that.
Speaker 2: And no, but I think it's it's almost like he's become so primaral, like it's almost become a caveman. And he has he's had the killing with a rock, because when he floats away, you look back at him and there's almost like a primate quality to him. He's like he hunds down, his hands are kind of like low, his shoulders that are sunken, and like he actually looks like an ape. But I think it's almost gone back right And and and then you have you have the narrow kind of eyes underwater. He could argue, I mean, he could argue that he could still be alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, well, I mean and yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Could do a sequel.
Speaker 2: I'm not suggesting they do it, but they could do a sequel of this and explain how he got away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how would he get away Sora's leg.
Speaker 5: Well, you could maybe he got swept down the river, and as it swept down the river, he could bob his face down of the river.
Speaker 2: That boat was falling, falling apart, So all you need is that one more piece of rock and then he's out and.
Speaker 3: This boat falls apart just by breathing on it.
Speaker 5: And suddenly it's not strong enough that a dying man with all of his strength can't pull away from it.
Speaker 1: Yea, the strongest man in the world. It's been helen back just.
Speaker 5: To touch briefly again on that the moment where he's holding the fleir and it's bubbling over his hand. I loved that scene because I'm I'm a gal. I'm a sucker for like Jack Reacher, any basically any Bruce Willis character, any sort of character where it's like you've got this unbeatable man.
Speaker 3: I just really get off on that so seeing him play this character where he's like, this doesn't hurt me. I'm like, oh yeah, baby, yeah, let me see how much you can take. Let me push you to your limit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty cool. I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed watching this again. I thought it was it was great.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm pleased. I'm pleased I didn't ruin your morning.
Speaker 2: It would have been awkward. Let me take you through some fun facts before we wrap up. The Nero's tattoos were done with using vegetable dye.
Speaker 3: I actually wondered how they were done.
Speaker 1: So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I assume that's probably that what they do a lot of tattoos in movies. This has been this fact has been mentioned on this podcast before when we did Shindless List, which was directed by Steven Spielberg. Steven Spielberg was originally going to going to direct Cape Fear Ah, and Martin Scorsese was originally going to direct at well one stage was going to direct The Shindless List Ah, and they both decided. Scorsese said, I can't direct. I'm not the one that directors. You know, Stephen, you need to do it's a very personal project for you. You're Jewish. You know it's you know you love this story. You know this story, you need to tell it. And Spilbeer kind of thought this was maybe a bit too dark for him, so they switched projects.
Speaker 3: What else, his school says the direct.
Speaker 2: Tactually driver Raging Bull. So he has a very famous relationship with Robert de Niro, Right, good fellas.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've seen any of those.
Speaker 1: This to our movie night the Games in New York that the aviator Hugo.
Speaker 5: I watched half of Departed. Yeah, and it was great, but I just like I struggle to watch things all at a time.
Speaker 3: Today was special for you, very small, special for you.
Speaker 1: I have to Eastern casting.
Speaker 2: Just Bill Murray was almost going to play Max Kadi, which I cannot imagine.
Speaker 1: Harrison Ford was the original choice to play Max.
Speaker 2: More Sam, I can see him, Yeah, yeah, I can absolute see him, Sam Dinner. I paid five thousand dollars have his teeth kind down, and then twenty thousand dollars afterward was to fix them.
Speaker 3: Oh, to see that.
Speaker 5: This is why I say I could never be an actress. I do not care that much, you know, I just don't care that much. I'd be like just do it, you know, like what's his name in Dallas Buyers Club?
Speaker 3: How Ana Rix? It came to get I just I couldn't commit to that.
Speaker 2: Alyssa Milan I was turned down the role to play Daniella because she was in the tvccom god Who's the Boss? Also later on in Charmed.
Speaker 3: Oh Yeah, Hot Hot Burnette.
Speaker 2: Yeah Hot Brunette has been quite a vocal voice in the me Too movement. She turned down the role due to pressure from Tony Danzer, who played who played the Boss in.
Speaker 1: Who's the Boss? Or played Tony and what way? Oh?
Speaker 2: I think just I imagine. I think it was more like, well, you know, if you do that, you know we may not be able to shoot you. You may not be on our show next year. Or I don't know exactly. It might have been something like that. You know, Tony Danzer, he's just a funny The name makes me laugh. Sol Bass, Actually that you wanted asttributed to Elvin Hitchcock.
Speaker 1: He designed the opening titles. He also did the opening titles for Psycho.
Speaker 2: It's across over some similarities in the opening titles for both those films, But yeah, sol Bass worked on that.
Speaker 1: He just works in design. I think he's a graphic designer. You might be more than that.
Speaker 2: I haven't done all that research on sol bass, but anxious snot. Can I just say it? This podcast comes with homework. Oh right, and you've been up this morning doing interviews with Andy Cohen, Yes, his big show out of New York City.
Speaker 3: Hey, what what Happens Live? I was up at five to film that one.
Speaker 1: You're recording that in there in our lounger, unfortunately for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's okay, it's early morning for all of us. Gets a half an hour on a big US talk show whatever, Happy to accommodate. And you then went into watching Cape Fear for this podcast, and I do appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Oh you're so welcome. We all face trials in our lives. I face many a trial.
Speaker 3: This is one of my biggest. But I you know, I had a Milo when I got over it.
Speaker 1: You had a couple of miles.
Speaker 3: Actually I had two Milos. I do owe you a couple of buck.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just the one. But thank you so much. We could talk for ever about lots of different things.
Speaker 2: But you have to come back another time because you're meeting my wife and going shopping.
Speaker 1: I believe I am.
Speaker 3: Thank god one of us live shopping. It's very excited.
Speaker 5: Thanks so thank you, thank you for having me and on your podcast and in your house.
Speaker 2: And I just mentioned I mentioned this in the intro and I mentioned it in the actual as well. Below Deck down under your the Chief stew it's on now. We could be watching in Australia.
Speaker 3: On how You same day as the USA.
Speaker 1: There you go, same day as the USA.
Speaker 2: And I got to say, I saw a couple of episodes and cracking, cracking, wow, and you've given me a little bit of detail of what's ahead, and it sounds like this season is going to blow up. I'm not going to say anything more, but it is. It is intriguing, It is fascinating on many different levels. Yeah, this one's going to blow up, So get on board.
Speaker 1: If you're not on board, blow deck at all. It is. I want to describe it as a guilty pleasure.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a reality show. I don't watch a lot of reality, but it's a reality show that.
Speaker 1: You actually have people who know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They've worked at their craft and their jobs, and they have to do that because they're people paying to be on that yacht.
Speaker 1: So it's not like other reality shows where things are set up.
Speaker 2: These these and I'm listening, I'm sure, and I'm not necessarily asking you because we've run out of time, but I'm sure there are little manipulations here and there.
Speaker 1: But it's seems like a very genuine kind of show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're just real people doing our real jobs.
Speaker 5: And I think that's why people love it so much, because it's actually people doing really hard work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm so heavy that you love it. I think it's such a good shot.
Speaker 1: I would love to know the craziest requests the primaries just had.
Speaker 3: Next time got to be my promise for next time. Give me back on here.
Speaker 1: There's so many movies you haven't seen. We've wooked out a little, thanks Pete.
Speaker 3: See you.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: That was Cape Fear nine one scor another Scorse movie in the can with my great mate Axious Scott is great.
Speaker 1: She had basically a couple of days in town and she stayed with us.
Speaker 2: We watched a movie together, as I said, and yeah, great for her to squeeze it in because she is, as they say, hot right now, many requests coming through for her time. Really stoked that she could drop by as my second jungle mate after Woody to do the show. I'll be knocking on the door and calling the phones of my other jungle mates to get them on the show as well in the future.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the podcast.
Speaker 2: You get in touch with us at yasne podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Well love your emails.
Speaker 2: You even go through the links page and get on the speak pipe and if you send us a speak pipe we can play that on air. We very much appreciate it. Also, got to iTunes and give us a rating. It keeps the algorithm all flowing and the momentum going. I recommend five stars. Leave a review next week on the show. A very good friend of mine, a returning guest very early on possibly our first or second series he did with Naila and I, Limo. Limo returns sue you ain't seen nothing yet and this is a big one, no doubt about it. It's a big film, classic film starring the great Jack Nicholson, directed by Broone Planski. It's Chinatown, that's it. We are going down to Chinatown next week. And you ain't seen nothing yet with Limo until then take care. And so we leave old Pete save fan soul, and to old friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.