Speaker 1: I Heart podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hear more Gold podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free I Heart app. Right now, I want to talk about surprises, but Kaiton I actually managed to pull off a brilliant surprise at the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yes, so my wife, it's her birthday very very soon. And when we got together ten years ago, we talked about having birthday gifts of a lifetime. I got mine when I was thirty, which was a Louis Vuton bag.
Speaker 4: I was very, very lucky, and.
Speaker 3: It's just a gift that you would never get your like you would never assume you would get in your whole lifetime, and so we always promised to do that.
Speaker 4: This one has taken me ten years.
Speaker 2: So relatable, isn't it At Louis Vouton, you know, perhaps you must have five.
Speaker 4: We've been together for a very long time, so we know.
Speaker 2: And also no kids, I'd probably be wearing Louis Vuton's shoes.
Speaker 1: Now I've got those two kids.
Speaker 5: We're both thirty four, we're both you know, professionals.
Speaker 2: So the gay dollar, it's worth more than it's worth, way more than the straight pound.
Speaker 3: This gift has taken me ten years to get and On Saturday, I revealed to my wife that I am taking her on a trip to Japan for two weeks, fully organized.
Speaker 4: Nothing for her to worry about.
Speaker 2: Such a beautiful gift, because actually the best things in life, for experiences, it isn't things.
Speaker 3: Yes, except mine was a Louis for tom bag. But yes, no, she's teaching me that.
Speaker 2: I was talking to the listeners who are a little bit more aspirational. Tell me you're a boga without telling me you're a bog.
Speaker 1: Let's do it this week. You have a No, you'd have a replica Louis, wouldn't you. Yes, yeah, Lewis. But what a great gift.
Speaker 4: It was a great gift.
Speaker 1: You guys have an amazing time.
Speaker 4: It'll be incredible.
Speaker 5: I'm such all organized, it's all organized.
Speaker 2: Paying for it because these days, you know, we have joint you know, accounts and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And now the app you see what my money's going out.
Speaker 3: I thought she was going to pick it up because I had booked it on the credit card, because the flights were expensive.
Speaker 1: Walks for the police as well.
Speaker 5: She does, she does, so she should have figured it out.
Speaker 1: Happens to me, don't get an investigat she just said, I.
Speaker 4: Don't ever look at that stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm not worried about that, you know, I'm sure you'll pay anyway.
Speaker 5: So, luckily enough didn't get that butt.
Speaker 3: On Friday night, my mother, who knows about this surprise and knew that I was telling her this weekend, sent a text to our family group and said, when do you guys go to Japan?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thanks?
Speaker 4: Mom My blood.
Speaker 3: Went ran co like I have never been in such fear. And I was sitting ext them on the couch and she was like, what what's she talking about? And I was like, I don't know. She's a cooker. And then my brother, my brother swooped in at the last minute and said, oh, we are going until December.
Speaker 1: Oh save save. That is very good.
Speaker 4: So he saved it.
Speaker 5: But it's taken me ten years to organize, like not to organize this.
Speaker 1: But you get up to the it's a slow planner right now.
Speaker 4: I've been planning for four months.
Speaker 1: Two thousand, twenty eighteen. Flights book, Oh well, same time next year. The transfer.
Speaker 3: You went to so much trouble, much four months in the making. He hiding everything, hiding money, hiding everything.
Speaker 4: I'm in nineteen Auary.
Speaker 2: Yeh, sell the handbag, O get here in Geisha.
Speaker 3: Twenty four hours before I told her my mother nearly spoiled.
Speaker 1: The cut of rose and a Friday night.
Speaker 4: I can imagine it, genuinely, she was absolutely having a few ones, all right.
Speaker 2: So I want to hear about stories of it takes a lot of effort to pull off a surprise, because at any moment, I bet we hear about surprises.
Speaker 1: Who got rumbled? I bet it's in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone says something a text or an accident, you didn't notice a surprise, or you haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Someone in a while. It must be so hard to pull off surprise.
Speaker 2: So we want to hear about your stories of surprises done well and surprise has gone bad?
Speaker 1: What happened to you at the weekend? Oh?
Speaker 6: Mine was a few years ago. Actually it was the first time.
Speaker 7: Will my partner is our first year and he organized a surprise dinner for me for my birthday, very very sweet. It was just coming out of COVID, so you can only have about twelve people.
Speaker 6: In the time.
Speaker 7: In the last twenty four hours, so I had a few of my friends come down with COVID.
Speaker 6: A few of them got stuck in.
Speaker 7: Canberra and some of them were running late and we were on our way to dinner that I thought was just me and Will, and I could tell immediately something was up because there's a lot of checking the phone. He suddenly looked very nervous. I walk into the restaurant and the scene that greets me there for my big surprise party is Caitlin, our very own Caitlyn on her phone with her back turned no, and I walk in.
Speaker 1: I see no, the big it's not the big, done done.
Speaker 6: Surprise. I just saw you two hours ago. What's the surprise? And there's like eight empty seeds, none of them climate.
Speaker 7: It's just me, Will, Caitlyn and one other friend.
Speaker 1: One can you emerge in the streams. She got a work mate, an old mate.
Speaker 6: It was the saddest surprise party I think in human history.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know. Well, let's his way to see what we get. Okay, give us a call.
Speaker 2: Your story's about surprises done well and done badly, Christian surprises. Stepmom brought me a flight home from Australia back to the UK and Bristol. Only I got there and it was meant to be my dad's sixtieth, but I fell asleep from the jet leg missed most of it.
Speaker 1: Zero. It's a long way, a long way. It's like living on another planet. Guys don't know. Twenty one hours Christian.
Speaker 2: Last weekend, my husband turned sixty and we organized a surprise KFC bucket party. His favorite food is KFC. He thought we were going out for dinner. Then all of his friends started arriving with KFC buckets on their heads.
Speaker 1: He was so confused.
Speaker 2: She kept saying, to wait, are they coming with us?
Speaker 1: Sue and Mick? Who? What are the odds are listening in Japan?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 1: Talking about that?
Speaker 2: So my daughter is after Japan in two weeks time, and she's got tattoos.
Speaker 1: And I didn't realize in some of.
Speaker 2: The spas and when you can go in the pools now you're not allowed in with.
Speaker 6: Tattoos going on send because they think you're yakuza.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't know, yes, So I had to email them and say, you know, she's got some tattoos. Is this a yakuza thing? And then my mat going, yes it is. I said, I can assure you she just graduated. She's not yakuza.
Speaker 6: That's what you think.
Speaker 1: But that's a very Ukuta thing to say it.
Speaker 6: She could be like John Wick.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I hadn't no, I hadn't no idea. So is it all tattoos you're not allowed? It? Is it based on kind of like they all say tattoo. Yes, it's all tattoo that says ain't in the yakuza.
Speaker 1: It's a good loophole. All right. We're talking about surprises, and Simon's on the line.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Hi Christian, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Have you a lovely weekend? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Thank you you too.
Speaker 1: Now, what is the story?
Speaker 8: My partner loves bald wedged eagle. I'm sorry. My partner loves wedge twel eagles, and I thought I would surprise him with a massive print and I bought it. It arrived, I showed him, opened it up. I got the wrong eagle. I'd actually bought him an American bald eagle. I could tell from his face it was wrong. He had to console me.
Speaker 1: You start crying.
Speaker 8: I did it.
Speaker 1: Because she went to all that effort. You just wanted to have that big reveal. It's the wrong bird. Someone ripped you off. I'm going on a counter affair with this picture, and then.
Speaker 8: I just went and mucked up the story.
Speaker 2: Then you ruined the surprise for us as well.
Speaker 1: You still get the wrong bird wrong. So where would you got this wrong eagled picture from.
Speaker 8: I ordered it online and I actually googled wedge til eagles. So I'm not like I don't know much about birds obviously, and so because I googled wedge tail eagles, I thought that was the wedge til eagle.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 8: No, And then the print took up half the size of the wall.
Speaker 2: So now.
Speaker 8: It's back in the box.
Speaker 1: Simon, I'll tell you what. Why don't we give it away on the show?
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll bring it in peace, please.
Speaker 2: I'll take that off you and summer warm on that. So it's a bald headed eagle.
Speaker 8: It's an American bald headed eagle. I'll bring it in. Yeah, I can have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, please, we'll give that away. Someone must love that bird. Please.
Speaker 8: It's a very very heavy jam.
Speaker 1: So tell me this. Did you get him the right eagle picture? In the end?
Speaker 8: Well, I've got him a wedgetailed eagle feather, A drink that's a prink drink?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look closer that it's not the wrong it's a magpie feather. I'm on, Michelle, get it right. Some own, very very funny story. I'm going to give you two hundred and fifty dollars Chemists Warehouse voucher.
Speaker 1: Really great story. No, it has paid off.
Speaker 7: You might be able to get a Wedgetol Eagle poster at Chemists Warehouse.
Speaker 8: Let's you say, I will never surprise him again. I'll always make sure he's with me when I get something.
Speaker 1: New, brilliant stuff. Thanks some moment, Thanks you cool.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much, Christian.
Speaker 1: Really, I reckon we should do more stories.
Speaker 2: But it's still in the box, Yes, what's And they're always in the garage, aren't they? There's always I reckon if we went to any of our listeners homes right now and watching the garriage, something is in a box. Either hasn't we got out, or it's the wrong thing and you haven't sent it back, or you haven't hung it up or something like that. Garages are literally just sort of waiting grounds, aren't they.
Speaker 7: Well, you don't you want to hide the shame. You don't want the contant reminder of your failure.
Speaker 1: Shame rules.
Speaker 2: I've run out of time to find the answer out, but I just started to type into Google what's the difference between to find out what is the difference between a bordered eagle and a wedge tailed eagle. You think it's size, well, yeah, but I know baldheaded, that's the yankee, that's the big yank one.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the wedgetail's our equivalent.
Speaker 1: It's smaller. But apparently they do fly off with dogs wedgetailed eagles. Yep, my wife told me this.
Speaker 2: And we've got this irritational toy poodle which I would that west tele eagle flew off with our dog.
Speaker 1: Reggie would drop.
Speaker 2: Them off within five minutes, going wait, god, she's she got to keep on the lead. There's one of these one these days. An eagle could come by and fly off with them if I was strapped some bacon to his head. When it come down anyway, you know what it does. I also complete on Google. I only got as far as what is difference between? And then it's come down and learn different options that the two eagles isn't on there? But why does that beat my interest? What's the difference between raisins and sort of tops?
Speaker 6: Great question?
Speaker 1: What is the difference sweetness. They dried grapes, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Do they?
Speaker 6: How do they become?
Speaker 7: How does it become? How does one grape become a raisin? One becomes get sweeter?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And what about prunes? Are they different fruit?
Speaker 1: Altogo? Totally different area. They're not tried grapes.
Speaker 4: No, they're massive, big things.
Speaker 1: Oh do you know what?
Speaker 2: I actually think we should have a weekly feature called how that Work? I said to my door yesterday because she got to Japan. She was talking about the bullet train and I was saying, out quickly that is? I said, do you know what moves? It says so quickly it runs on magnets, And then she goes, how does that work?
Speaker 1: And I went, I wish I knew more? I also know one question. I was like, actually, I'm tapping out.
Speaker 6: Is it one big magnet that sucks the train at the end?
Speaker 2: You know how magnets will repel themselves. Is there some kind of repellent that's going on? And meaning it's moving so quickly, is it's moving away from other magnets? I think the magnet speed whoa to Kyoto.
Speaker 6: I think it's a magnet pulls it to the other magnet I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is why we need their feature. How that work