Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Right now, then, we're looking for your stories. What would kids today have no idea about? There's so much of the stuff that you and I grew up with that they have got no idea what it was like to try and get on the internet or even meet your friends. So today on the show, what would kids today have no idea about?
Speaker 3: Jackie? Well, what will kids today have no idea about?
Speaker 4: When you wanted to walk through for a game hints and tips, you had to call a Nintendo hot lone.
Speaker 3: I want to get like cheat cost stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, the particular game I was playing was Game Boys Pokemon yep, and I couldn't get through the dark cave with the diglets and I had to call this line and.
Speaker 3: For was it one of those sort of premium lines?
Speaker 4: Yes, because I didn't even get to the point where they gave me the walkthrough because I got told off by parents for calling their hot r But Nintendo would have a hot line that you can call and ask a specialist about games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these days you'll just watch what is it on Twitch there on? With all the cheat codes and YouTube They've got all these hacks. The other thing that I was boring my kids the other day with this is like years ago, before texting and mobile phones and everything like that, you simply go around to your friend's house just to see if they were in. You'd have to knock on the door. It was normally else by their mum or dad, and they might not be in it. If they weren't in, there was that walk of shame where you had to then get the bus home or that. So kids see the asa that would ever have any idea. There's no whatsapping or anything like that. You had to go around somebody's house and walk out whether or not they're coming out to play. All right, let's sitch some calls then about what would kids today have no idea about?
Speaker 3: On Facebook page?
Speaker 2: The terrifying excitement of a girl giving you her house number to ask you out. Radio Mike, who I believe is a friend of yours, paying one dollar sixty nine for a track on iTunes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I found an old eyebad the other day. I said, that's so much money trapped in that fee. I mean so much money now going to stream.
Speaker 2: It for like ten bucks a month or whatever it is on Spotify multiplayer meant sitting beside your brother playing Super Mario Brothers on the any snares and then starting a full on brawl. That's from Merjo waiting for computer games to load off the cassette tape, then realizing it fell because the volume was wrong. Servo attendance, Christian. I remember in Australia when there were a tendency used to fill up your car for you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I only say that as an American thing in American movies.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's from Nick. Now, Peter, what would kids today have no idea about.
Speaker 5: No idea about the classic wall phone, the landline with the extended cord. I'd be talking to my girlfriend and I wanted to tell I love her, and I'd go into the cupboard and shut the door so now and I could hear it, and I'd say, I love you.
Speaker 3: This is how we used to be, this is love in the eighties. I was the same as you.
Speaker 2: My dad wouldn't step to the long cord, so I drag the phone into the understands cupboard, shut myself in the dock, and go I love you.
Speaker 4: Terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was illicit love in the eighties, or like hiding on that phone, and then you were your sister would yell at you You've been on too long.
Speaker 3: Peter.
Speaker 2: Were also only allowed to make calls to friends in the evening when it was half priced.
Speaker 6: Oh look, that was about the case.
Speaker 5: And I'd tell whenever the landline would ring, it'd be like now the phones ringing.
Speaker 7: Who is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world's calling. Who's come through the land with a message for us to that special line through arth?
Speaker 3: Peter, thank you very much, you call mate. That's cool the.
Speaker 8: Show, Thanks guys, Ryan, Yes.
Speaker 2: Welcome to show. And what would kids today have no idea about the.
Speaker 6: Way to tell if your friends were home, there would be a pile of bikes out in the front of their house.
Speaker 2: You are all just dumped on top of each other and there's like an orgy of bikes there.
Speaker 3: Definitely, Ryan, thank you very much. She call ER's get a peet.
Speaker 9: We will.
Speaker 3: Kids today have no idea about, ah.
Speaker 6: The magic and wonder of a cassette type.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Were enough very flimsy tents, you weren't They spoiling it with that pencil and then we get chewed up in the tape deck.
Speaker 6: Putting them a bit of sticky type over the tape so you could record over a recorded tape and the ash of actually fast forwarding is stopping right at the beginning of the track.
Speaker 3: It was a fine art. It was a fine art.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you did that, people would steer in wonder you were a legend. It was great. But yeah, you could have also the drama having to try and pull the tape out, or listening to a song that slowed right down in the middle because you heard it too much. But that it was fantastic stuff.
Speaker 2: Because the other thing if you left on the dashboard in the heat and it got all mounted, that was the end of that album.
Speaker 3: In the Ocean in the cast.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian overhead projectors and transparencies in the school classrooms, do you remember the ohp, that loud noise that used to make as well, And they used to have that piece of paper where they wouldn't want you reading ahead or too much the lesson.
Speaker 3: They were to get really protective about that. Don't cover that over.
Speaker 4: They would block out the Christians coming on, you.
Speaker 3: Know, gas all the good stuff she yet to come.
Speaker 4: I feel like they always put that transparent piece of paper down the wrong way first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had to flip it over every lesson we're talking about what were Kids these days have no idea about cars without air conditioning or power steering. Yeah, pain by check feels like a real old school thing, now, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I did this, but connecting your friend's VCR to yours to illegally copy movies, paying twenty five cents per text, creating ring tones, pushing corresponding numbers.
Speaker 4: Remember in text when we was paying for every text and you had one hundred and sixty characters and you'd start backspace, backspace. What can I lose? So this is on the cost of one text now too.
Speaker 2: Tapping out phone number on a rotary dial phone using the button and the cradle, if your parents had put a lock in it. My dad did put a lock on it. Kids would have no idea about handing an assignment on floppy disk, hearing the pips on a payphone. Christian, when the Christmas countdown to number one was a really really big thing about who it's going to be this year, and then Romperum it's coming back around. I remember on Romperum they used to say Grace Before the kids their snacks. They were to say this God is great, God is good, and then us thank him for our food.
Speaker 3: That's a kid. It bothered me installed us that good and food do not rhyme.
Speaker 4: Only on paper. Looks right? Yeah, that sound right?
Speaker 2: Thank you Carol. All right, let's go back to what kids today would have no idea about.
Speaker 3: Tim.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm the guy that people rang up if they got stuck on.
Speaker 1: A video game.
Speaker 7: I'm the guy.
Speaker 3: So who did you work for?
Speaker 7: I'll work a seagupe. But it was my first job, my very first job I had, and I always say I picked way too early.
Speaker 4: I found it incredible. So I used to call the Nintendo hotline in time before internet, when you couldn't get tips or walk throughs. I called the Nintendo hot line to a guy who knew essentially every part of every game. How did you know so much about the games?
Speaker 7: We basically played them? So we in our hotline. We had two huge covers. It's full of game Oh my god? What was Basically you came into work, you cracked them. So there was four main guys and I was one of them, and we were all called Sega masters at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Masters. I remember we had a game some of my friends. Do you remember wonder Boy?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, wonderful game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wonderful game.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can never get very far on that which I'd called you, I ford you about you about then.
Speaker 7: Tim, Yeah we could have. But ironically, the most common game we ever got called up about was a game called that Alex Kidd in Miracle World. And it was like every second call was about this game. And the first thing they'd say is I'm stuck in a room and say, oh right, we just give them the sequence and we'd say some wave moon stuffs, some moon waves, fish, starfish and they were the symbols, but they had the war cave up to finish the game.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a song off Rump Room the Starfish.
Speaker 3: It was a different kind of song.
Speaker 7: We all have nightmares about that because we can still remember the scene.
Speaker 3: To keep coming, well, lovely to chat him. Thank you very much for giving us a call.
Speaker 1: Nowhere is going am the Christian O'Connell show podcast today.
Speaker 2: Then we're asking you what did you buy from a door to door salesman. Patsy was telling us about the yellow salves.
Speaker 3: It Rulies Yellow salv Yeah, mister Rauley's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Door to door used to be a thing. I don't know if you still have door to door anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh the way went Oh god, no, well we even perished the thing. You wouldn't answer the door anyway. I really wouldn't know. I'm the same.
Speaker 4: We were taught as kids not to answer the door, and so our family if we had a knock from somebody we didn't know, the whole family would just go quiet and wait for them out.
Speaker 2: If my wife's not in and that door goes, there's no way I'm answering it. I just turn the TV up and just ignore. So what did you buy door to door? Catherine bought a painted a canvas picture of Venice, Italy.
Speaker 3: I then had it framed. It's now hanging on my all in my house. I love it. Christian.
Speaker 2: When I was a young girl, there was in the country that was a daor to door company called Dickens and Carrie. The guy would come once a month that he could buy anything from him. Mom would buy clothes, linen, cook where he would collect monthly payment too. If there was something you needed, you would just tell him and he'd bring it in four weeks time. I couldn't wait until I was sixteen so I could buy something from him.
Speaker 3: I bought a lovely suitcase.
Speaker 2: It costs me about twenty bucks, and I paid about two dollars off a month. I'm fifty nine and still have it to this day. The handle on he broke a couple of years ago. It now stores Christmas decorations in. I'm glad you do that, Susan. We have two old suitcases too with broken handles that have the Christmas decorations in.
Speaker 4: Is there something suss about Dickens and Carrey though, that they can get anything you want?
Speaker 3: Yes, Ginger.
Speaker 2: My mom brought a recliner of two guys who came selling couches daughter door from the back of a truck that seems Dodge j'sdy Caroen. My mom would buy from the Avon lady. Mine would too, actually the Avon lady. They would come in the house and do demonstrations. You must remember that Patsy water makeup perfume. Ricky brought two thousand dollars worth door to door. Two thousand dollars worth of stainless cookware, not just run of the mill pots. Is put here heat dispersing alloy inserts and cool to touch handles. I'm sorry, Ricky, those are exactly what you buy in David Jones or anyway. They're all like that now with these different inserts. No one's getting burnt from touching a handle that comes from Ricky. All right, what did you buy door to door two?
Speaker 8: I head the stainless steel pots. Yeah, inserts, oh yeah, yeah, definitely cool touch handles. But these pots are going to change our lives.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They give you the big shell, don't they.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Honestly, it was about two hours growing in you.
Speaker 2: Doing cookie like a three cross banquet with these fable pans.
Speaker 8: We didn't think, you know, we couldn't afford these back then, it was like late eighties. We just started out, and anyway, he convinced us. We just signed the dotted line honestly to get him out of the house. We didn't think we'd get the line, because we did.
Speaker 6: They him that way.
Speaker 2: Were basically the only way that we're going to leave your house was you to sign a load of really dodgy paperwork. Harder than getting divorced those people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but we didn't think we'd get the line. But we did, and it took us bloody four years to paint home.
Speaker 10: Shocking.
Speaker 3: Isn't this ridiculous?
Speaker 2: It's not been on counterfair. You can't be mind pots and off four years?
Speaker 4: How much were the pots and pans two.
Speaker 8: And a half.
Speaker 3: Then it's a moral, isn't it.
Speaker 8: We got a free set and nized there. I think it was an egg poacher, an electric oil filled fry pan. And I'll tell you what. You just went on and on.
Speaker 4: You about the egg poacher.
Speaker 3: Now work.
Speaker 2: This is a great deal. That's the guy's details, all right, So thank you very much. What's your story? That's a great one.
Speaker 3: Have a good week too, No worries you two Debra door to draw.
Speaker 11: Oh my grandfather was a rawly daughter door salesman, brilliant for cops and colds, saw muzzles, the salve fix anything, cuts and grays.
Speaker 2: And he's obviously trained you up. You're like you're sprinking it to us now, medicated ointments cut some bruises.
Speaker 11: Oh, don't forget the peppermints. Us kids used to go through the tea chests and the peppermints. If he knew that, we got into trouble. But you can still buy it at the market.
Speaker 12: Yeah, around that the blue one was for colds and the yellow one was the yellow salve.
Speaker 9: There was two tins, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, when you were talking about it, I thought, mister Rawle, he himself needs over to your house.
Speaker 3: Well that's what mum used to call him, mister Rawley.
Speaker 4: She said, it was mister Rawley himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in my mind it was someone who had like one of those big handlebarshes.
Speaker 3: That was wax World up at the end.
Speaker 4: And you can buy the wats as well from God Well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Patsy's husband, Chris is always on call.
Speaker 2: He works office works, okay, and he's got an office works car, and we feel sorry for him.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Patsy's pimping him out.
Speaker 12: So we had a third birthday a few weeks ago and Patrina said to the parents, I'll have Chris come in the office works car and have him take kids for a ride around the park in the office works car, fucking some sort of clown car and a circus. Honestly, I felt a little bit like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver.
Speaker 3: Simon is always on call, Okay.
Speaker 13: Christian, it's Simon here I'm a graphic designer, and for the best part of fifteen years I was asked to do everyone's wedding, invite, family photo, retouching, new business cards, and.
Speaker 6: All of that sort of stuff.
Speaker 14: The strangest thing I've ever had to do is retouch a second husband out of a family photo. I left moved into marketing in horticulture, and I still get hounded about how to keep your apples nice and what to do with your grass.
Speaker 2: You've got two different jobs, so that's always on call for I did not know that was a thing that you can remove someone from a photo.
Speaker 4: When I went to my brother in law's wedding banks brother, they did a series of photos with me in it, and then, because I was only new to the family, a series of photos with me without.
Speaker 3: They looked at it. He ain't a long term Well.
Speaker 2: When we did a photo shoot me Jack and Patsy, they do the team photos and then one by one as.
Speaker 3: Well, don't they. Yeah, they do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if radio stations have ever done that thing as well, where they've got one of those awful team photos together and they've never called someone like Simon to take someone out of a photo. All right, So always on call? Do you have a job where you're always on call? Natasha?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Natasha? So why is why are you always on cool? What are you doing?
Speaker 9: I'm a massive therapist, a mobile massage therapist, so I've got my friends and family constantly asking me for a little help with a niggle here or there. But for me, the worst is when my mom brings it up at social occasions because he mentions the celebrities and athletes that I treat sometimes and I'm forcing these conversations I don't want to be in.
Speaker 2: I be honest, Now, I get why your mum would do that.
Speaker 9: I have to sit there awkwardly like yeah, but yeah. On holidays, even when people find out I'm on the bus in Central America, people are like, can you fix my neck or not? The bus driver? Yeah. Anywhere you mention it, people just all of a sudden have some kind of pain somewhere.
Speaker 3: Thanks for Esha, that's she cool? Thank you, Bye, Tigan. Why are you always on call?
Speaker 15: My husband's actually always on calls. So he's a biomedical engineer, so he works for a busy hospital in my family take that as him being a doctor. They called him and asked him advice.
Speaker 2: They must be sat next to a doctor, wander out to reception and go doctor.
Speaker 4: What does the biomedical engineer do? What's his day to day?
Speaker 15: Pretty much? He told me I had to drive him in the city this morning and he was like, I've got to go first thing into theater because something's not working. And so he said, yesterday he was really stressed.
Speaker 3: He was like, something's not working.
Speaker 8: What's just something had.
Speaker 15: To be replaced. It was all fine, everything worked out fine.
Speaker 2: But what to see as you're counting backwards and going under is some I too guy going have you turned on?
Speaker 15: And he grabs his like test and tak yeah pretty much yes, and off and on again. And so it's just little things like that.
Speaker 9: So it was an.
Speaker 2: Engineer in a hospital with all the expensive state of the art machinery.
Speaker 15: Don't got that, yeah, pretty much. So he'll watch medical shows. He goes, oh, I fix sat I fixed one of those.
Speaker 3: Before he's pausing graz anatomy. You don't. You don't ever move in like that. You'd rip the light right off. Oh that's so.
Speaker 4: Good to worry about going into just you know it breaks down.
Speaker 3: Of course, we don't want to know it.
Speaker 4: Think of how much stuff breaks down here day.
Speaker 3: You've got to you've got to hope that the hospitals ever run better than this. I pray for that.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast, So what do you do for living, Pete?
Speaker 6: I drive a truck made so I'm everyone's personal courier.
Speaker 2: People warming about having a ute. They say, if you get a you then you're everyone's.
Speaker 3: Pick up guy every weekend. Yeah, so what if you have to do, Pete, like to pick stuff up? Well, can you just go pick this up for me?
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter you name. And I think people think I drive the tardest mate. And you turn up and you turn up to some places and they think that's going to fit in the back, and you know, like theyah side, you know, one size, the inside another, and you just you just look at them and think, sure, you know it's un more ovorable. But yeah, look, there's no extent to what people ask me to take and what they are.
Speaker 3: Do you get asked to move homes for people?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would go the people's houses. Can't help me move my house?
Speaker 2: You turn up there breaking wort, moving someone's gear for that. I mean people learn good money rightly, so doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The thing is is because I don't have a tailgate, what annoys music get there and then people start winging out your war heaven, I've got a tailgate to make it. It's like, hang, I'm doing you a favor. Yeah, yeah, no, it doesn't matter. The wife will just sort of stick your hand up and oh min, my husband will move that for you and mixture. You know, I'm spending my week in driving. But yeah, it's it's constant.
Speaker 2: But Pete, it generally sounds an awful situation. We can hear in your voices. Intervene, tell me to come around every word with the missus. It's I've just been chatting. It's too much to pick up Pete.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I remember you were having some trouble with your mother or I think you're going to move some stuff, and I knew we volunteered and I'm so used to it.
Speaker 4: But it actually my head went to I've got a whole lot of brain and tree bits that I need. You won't fit in the back of my cart.
Speaker 3: It's constant.
Speaker 4: I need to take it down when he's sleeping, he's.
Speaker 3: Driving around it pick up, Pete, thank you very much. You killed me talked you for the show. Let's go, Joanne. What is your job?
Speaker 10: Nursing for thirty years?
Speaker 3: Nursing? Right? Okay?
Speaker 10: And I said, people, i've got a temperature. Do you think I should take some panandle all that? The worst was I had a big barbecue and one of the ladies came up to me and she said, I've got a bit of a problem downstairs. She said, would you mind having a look for me? Okay, So we went up to my bedroom and she showed me and she said what is it? I said, I think you've got a boil?
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 10: I said you have to go and get it lance She said, will you do it for me?
Speaker 3: Well the barbecue, go and get one of the tolls, just like off chop.
Speaker 9: Adam.
Speaker 10: Sorry, and I did it.
Speaker 3: You got to be kidding what that is? Some that's going some return to the yah.
Speaker 4: I didn't any food at the moment, screamish.
Speaker 1: Christian Connall's show podcast.
Speaker 13: It's just another miss Heard day Christian O'Connell's miss heard Lyrics.
Speaker 2: Every Monday, we play back your misheard lyrics. If we agree what you think you're mishearing you'll hear this if there's no way we can hear what you think you're hearing. And for the really great ones Hall of Favor. We had two Hall of Famous last week. Lauren had a great one from Sam Smith. I can't believe you let me down. But the pooh is in the way and it hurts.
Speaker 16: Can't believe you meant the poo annoy.
Speaker 2: It's because they used to voice needs emphasize. It just stands out.
Speaker 16: Oh, can't believe you let me come the poosy.
Speaker 2: It's like his eyes are closed and he's really leaning into it. And then we had this on Bob Marley. Thanks for listener, Tony, I lick a toilet, don't shed no tears. All right, there's getting into around new what a family has come together to send us one the Toolba family panic at the disco La to VOTEE drinking white wine in the blushing light? Just another La devotee or is it a very similar place to La Actually adelaide drinking white wine in the blushing light? Just another Adelaide to VOTEE. One day, I hope we can do a special missheard that name checks Australian places.
Speaker 3: That is a great one.
Speaker 2: Once more Adelaide, devotee, lady love it well done the torbut family, come on into a Hall of Fame, Hall of Favor. Michael Raidan has got a classic by Percy Sledge. When a man loves a woman, he'll give up all his comforts, or is it he'll give up all of his converts? Is a great one, yes, Hall of all Right, Lucas Storm, the King of rock and Roll, Bi prefrab spout hot dog jumping from Albuquerque, which that is the original line. Actually sounds like a miss Her lyric line, doesn't it. But the one that Lucas has got is hot dog jump and fart on a cookie. Yes, sister in a row, Lucas World.
Speaker 3: Up, Hall of the Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: Run continue, Let's go to Mark now, Cinderella, don't know what you've got. Take some time and let me know if you really want to go. You're gonna have to turn this one up. Okay, take some time and let me know if you really want.
Speaker 3: A goat n I even heard coat.
Speaker 2: Kelly Odyssey going back to my roots, zipping up my boots or is it sitting on my boobs?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: And then our very own correspondent here in the studio. Jackpost you've got one dead or alive. You spin me round. Open up your love and arms.
Speaker 3: I want some. I want some?
Speaker 2: Or is it accorded to Jack open up your loving arms? I want someone's son.
Speaker 3: Yes, I hear that all right.
Speaker 2: As always, whenever you miss hear your lyrics, email me Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast