Speaker 1: Welcome to them Christian Non Show podcast.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, right well, of the highlights to go and do something my dad. Obviously this is going to date this to a very different time. Were simply going to the tip.
Speaker 3: Oh best way to bond with your father, Yeah.
Speaker 2: To go and look through some mankey, old rat infested rubbish. I absolutely loved them. When my kids were younger, they also used to love. When I saw it, I need to go to tip, They go, please can we come? And you would go and rummage around, and you would come back.
Speaker 3: With stuff you were searching for treasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We used to bring old ball home, soccer balls, foot that sort of thing, not like now where it's all very clean. You back your car up and dump it. You could walk around it, couldn't you. Well, Sadly now our local tip has no rummaging sign, not even the fun out of it, exactly.
Speaker 2: I also remember are One. They had their own sort of shipping containing. You know the people, the tip people, they're like their own sort of you know what I mean. They run it tight, don't they. The tea people they don't like muggles turning up. They never used to like us rummag around because they where my local world want to grow up. They had their own shipping container right where they would have their tea breaks, and they wouldn't like you peering in because they had like computers in and that they found the primo stuff they kept for themselves, like sofas and stuff of that really good stuff. The rest of it was up to us.
Speaker 3: So you think it's they're stopping us from rummaging now, not for safety, but because they want all the goods for themselves.
Speaker 2: They want all the good stuff. Yeah, so this morning we want to know what did you find at the tip on nine four one four one four three. This is a brilliant story from Emma Christian. My brother used to drive an excavator to the tip. It was unbelievable to think, so, well, did you just used to just shove it all home and then go through it at home? That's insane hashtag straya. Most of it was brand new. His prize possession, This is incredible. His prize possession he came home from the tip with was a red velvet recliner chair from gold class.
Speaker 3: Oh oh well, what was that? Even in the tier?
Speaker 2: Was throwing that away? All right? So what did you bring home from a tip? What did you find?
Speaker 1: Christian Connell Show podcast?
Speaker 2: What did you find down the tip? Melissa? Hi, Melissa, what did you find down the tip?
Speaker 1: It's not myself, it's my husband.
Speaker 4: He's the garbage truck man.
Speaker 5: You know, he drives the truck.
Speaker 1: He comes home with.
Speaker 5: A lot of things all the time. He's come home with smokers.
Speaker 1: Tools, basketballs, bikes, fish, tak bikes. Yeah, just push bikes.
Speaker 2: This is like inside of trading, isn't it. He's getting the early sort of stuff before us.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that the bike has been put out for being collection from.
Speaker 2: The back people. So he's like a serial offender in this then.
Speaker 5: Oh definitely.
Speaker 1: This week he came home.
Speaker 4: With a mulcha?
Speaker 2: Now do you are you looking for a mulcha? Melissa?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I tell him to stop, no more.
Speaker 4: I've had enough.
Speaker 5: And it's just he's a regular offender.
Speaker 2: So it's like the scene out of the Castle, I think, Melissa, Thank you very much you call. I have a nice weekend. Cheers, thank you, Steve. Good morning, Hello about Steve. What have you found at the tip?
Speaker 6: Well, we backed up our trailer to throw the rubbish in and looked down and there was an electric guitar case, and the guy there said, oh, you can have it if you want, because my son's guitar might have fitted in it. So the son jumped down and grabbed it and came back up and said, no, there's something in it. And when he opened it up there was a Washburn electric guitar copy in it.
Speaker 2: What a great find.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we still play it, still got it.
Speaker 3: What if I someone was thrown out a way, or if it was an accident.
Speaker 5: No idea all our game, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great find, Steve, thank you very much to call him. I have a nice weekend. Now we've got Dawn here. This is an interesting one, Dawn.
Speaker 4: You find at the tip, I found a box of old letters and stamps and things from World War Two, but recently, during COVID, I've tracked down the family that wrote these letters and I sent them back to their family in Scotland.
Speaker 2: This sounded like the intro to a sort of podcast that I would listen to. This that was perfectly delivered. You told the story so.
Speaker 5: Well there, Oh, because I'm nervous.
Speaker 2: No, you did it really well. So what happened then?
Speaker 5: How did you track them down on Facebook, would you believe? No? W on Facebook?
Speaker 2: Did it take long?
Speaker 5: About a month? But there was this family, there was six of them. Some didn't talk to the others, so they said, you have to contact them, And then I finally found the one whose mother it was.
Speaker 2: The have been so emotional to be reunited with some of all those artifacts.
Speaker 5: Oh well, let's face it. If I had letters from my mum written to her sister, I'd love to read what they used to say. And that's what I thought i'd do, and that's what I'd done. It was about forty letters in total.
Speaker 3: How long had you kept the letters for.
Speaker 5: Fifty years?
Speaker 3: Fifty?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Because they were just they had beautiful stamps on them and they were beautifully written. And I'm a bit of an order and a collector. But now they've gone back to their right plone.
Speaker 2: I'll tell us this. Obviously you read through them.
Speaker 5: Right, we all would, Oh I did I did?
Speaker 2: What did you? What did he learn? What did they say?
Speaker 5: They were one sister really missed the other one? But the most what the part that really got me was during World War Two because my dad was also a pilot during World War Two and how the bombs were hitting and killing people, and she said, you are so lucky in Australia that you're not getting what we're getting over there.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's like a moment in history that was covered that. That's incredible.
Speaker 5: It was, and that's what I thought. You give back to your family, you do.
Speaker 2: But fifty years later, as say, you can have it on the next like a hundred times now thinking most of the family died out the next generation better than never. You're quite Yeah, Dawn, thank you so much your story. I love that. Dawn, have a nice wee can.
Speaker 5: God bliss bye, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's Show podcast