Speaker 1: Got anything good. Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: So footy is back kind of with an asterisk, a.
Speaker 1: Very tepid start to the football season.
Speaker 2: Can anyone makes sense this? The reason why I'm asking us especially today is we've had some of our oldest friends staying with us from they've never been to Australia before. They're over from the UK. And I said, now, oh, there's a there's a footage game on this afternoon, and it was the Giants Pies game. I said, this should be a good game. We can watch the first half of it, so I said, just watch it and all sort of makes sense of it as we go along. And of course I remember when I moved it seven years ago. When you come in cold, there are so many questions, valid questions that don't have very clear concise answers. Within a couple of minutes, there was like two minutes of silence, and I kept looking at him and who he enjoys it, you know, And it was a really busy game, and he goes, what the bloody end is going on here? I mean it is because it's really physical, isn't it. And he went, oh, that guy is going to get some sent off. No, no, no, no, they don't have any of that. What do they have any guess? No, but they have a tribunal. What do you mean a tribune They have to go to a tribunal, but most of the time just appeal it. They go, don't worry about it. Especially we played for the catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no sinbin, no getting set off in the game. You essentially go to court during the week.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. He was like, he just punched that guy. Not not a problem during this game. Ever, during the game, something will happen. They're going to have to put a suit on during the week, and normally they just appeal it and they just half the originally said, and the tribunals can go on for six hours.
Speaker 1: It's not until you explain Australian rules football to somebody that you were like, yeah, it is a kind of a strange game. We've all especially growing up with it. You go like, we just always known that that's how it was, but having to explain it to you doesn't ye very straight.
Speaker 2: And you know, like it with a lot of sports, like say like cricket, you know that hasn't really adapted that much. You know they've done some new versions like T twenty, but the actual rules the thing he couldn't. He went, so are they playing on a training pitch? Went? No, No, this is an actual study. I go white. He goes, what are those two other sort of training posts by the main post? No? And I went, oh, by the way for a game that predominantly kicking, most of them are ship at it right, he goes. So he's going like, do try and get it in there? You get most ways, but try and get my massive wife. You don't have that in any other sport. You know, there's a golf hole and then there's another bigger hole. Any of these that one ideally, but there's still it.
Speaker 1: Won't many points, but you can't go for that one.
Speaker 2: And then one of the umpires obviously throw the ball facing away, and he went, what the hell is this? Now? What's he doing? He goes, how can he do that? It's impressible? Why is he throwing it like that? I went, actually, I can't tell you that. I got no idea. Why did he throw it that that way?
Speaker 1: Another thing I've never.
Speaker 2: TH's just the way it is?
Speaker 1: Is it so that it's impartial? Rugby?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I guess so yeah, so it's just so he does it, but that is so ludicrously far as well.
Speaker 1: And you just hope that your umpires unbiased anyway, why looking.
Speaker 2: Hide and seek? There's just so many grayeres. And then afterwards I was watching this sort of a catch up with it all and they were talking about now because obviously this round zero does obviously count, but they were meant to be two more EXA games. Now the Essendon your team Essendon game just got postponed obviously because the advice because of the weather, they can't do it. But now they're saying and weightly fox Rey was apolectic about this and kind of phrase I've never heard before. Foot is back, the man is support in the world is back. Ladder fail. He was almost in tears. The ladder is never going to make sense. But the restless season, we're like, it's back. How can you screw up your own ladder? And it's it's always going to be. It's always gonna have an asterisk spite, Yes, always gonna have an asterisk bite because you guys have to play each other some point later.
Speaker 1: Well, now, in the last round of the season, which so Brisbane and Geelong was the other game that was postponed because of the bad weather in Queens, so that got.
Speaker 2: Moved to around three.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, well that's an important game. You guys can play in three ways time Gold Coast, well, anyone know that they didn't play, So now the idea is to play our final game of the season, which is against Carlton, on the weekend and then sometime midweek.
Speaker 2: Coast. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast