Speaker 1: Podcast Unite our Voices. This podcast is brought to you by on Track Studio. Welcome to Yannier, the podcast that showcases First Nations stories and conversations to help us learn and unlearn Australia's history to work towards a better future. I'm your host, proud barber woman and founder of Black Wattel Coaching and Consulting, Caroline cow. We acknowledge the rundery people and elders where this podcast is taped, but we also acknowledge the lands that you are listening in from today. It always was and always will be unseated aboriginal and tourist Red Islander Land well as someone who has been on a huge healing journey and particularly I guess connecting or finding ways to connect back to my own body. I'm really excited about today's conversation with a really special sister who is leading the way in how we think about sex education, especially for young people and for our moms and for queer folks. And I'm just so excited to have you here today. Lauren French, sex educator and sexologist. Welcome to Yarning Up.
Speaker 2: Oh, thanks thanks for having me. It's so like deadly to be here and having a chat, and I I always love a good yarn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Sis. I'm so grateful you here. I just I'm a huge fan of the work you're doing, because no one is really out here talking about what it means for our mob to feel, you know, sex confident, understand things like consent and just how we feel our most deadly self in our bodies. So I'm just so grateful for you to be here, Sis, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Of course I would not want to be anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Well, let's dive right in. I mean, you have a huge repertoire of things that you have done and passions and things you've sort of poured into this world around sex education and around supporting Aboriginal families and children to understand safety and empowerment and their rights. But I want to ask you just off the top, you know, how would you firstly describe yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always love a good intro. So I am. I am a proud codairy woman. I am a proud bisexual woman. I'm a proud sexologist, an educator, and change maker. My pronouns are she Her. I live in beautiful numb but I'm from Larakia country up in Darwin, that's where most of my mob live currently. And I am just someone who has always been comfortable talking about things that made other people uncomfortable. Like I was that kid in puberty class that was so excited to talk about like periods and bodies and sex, and I was like, Oh, this is so fascinating, and I never you know, it took me a really long time to understand why other people found it so difficult to talk about. So I'm just someone who's always been comfortable having these conversations, have in these yarns. And I really believe that, you know, everyone has a right to pleasure, has a right to you know, sexual pleasure, whether it's solo sexual pleasure, whether it's safe sexual pleasure with partners. I think we have a right to educate ourselves around our body and the kind of sexual experience we want. And I think it's like, in a way, deadly activism to actually embrace pleasure, because I think so many colonial structures and Western institutions see pleasure as you know, hedonistic or selfish or you know, it's put in all a real deficit shame. Oh, they love to put shame on us. And so I think there's something really, you know it is it is a stand. It is a you know, it's it's us taking a stand we say no. Pleasure is part of being human, let alone just being something that is a strength we can have.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, seriously, I could just I'm just taking all of that in because You've articulated some things that I have been deeply trying to navigate in my own life around thinking about where do I carry joy in my body as a black fella, and what does it look and feel like? It becomes this sort of spiritual and political act intertwined. So, oh my god, you've already got me really feeling all the feelsis But I want to rewind the track. So you're you were born and raised in Larachee Country, currently living at NAM and you you mentioned I guess that you've always felt comfortable around this notion of yet exploration of your body. I'm wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about that. What led to that comfortability? I mean, I'm sure you would have, no doubt done some soul searching to think about how that's come to be. But yeah, what's led to you to sort of this path as well about sexology, which it sounds why or that in twenty twenty four, it still does feel taboo. I don't know if that's the way that I have been raised where we didn't have that comfortability, but yeah, curious to know.
Speaker 2: I think most people, unfortunately, still have so much shame, you know, linked into sex and pleasure and bodies and sexuality and relationships that I think most people still find this really hard to talk about. I think as a young person, I was my curiosity just was way bigger than my shame. And I think I had you know, I have incredible family and everyone was really open. But also it's not like my family we talked about sex, relationships all that stuff all the time or anything like that. I knew my family was accepting, and you know, I had no fear of like having a coming out moment or anything like that. But I definitely, you know, it wasn't saying that it was discussed all the time, But I was just curious. I just thought it was interesting. I thought it was interesting how you know, some parts of relationships were okay to talk about and others weren't. And like, particularly as when you're a young person, you know, adults always like to, you know, project things on young people, like, you know, they ask or is that your boyfriend? Or is that you're you know, and they'll they'll kind of put on this idea of relationships it's always you know, super heteronormative and kind of falls into all of that. But I found it really fascinating that like that was totally fine to talk about, but like masturbation you couldn't really talk about. Or when I would talk to my friends about them, it would be this thing of like, oh, that's something that you know always do, but girls don't. There was all this gendered stuff around it, and so I think I was just really curious. I think I just thought it was interesting and fascinating. And then it wasn't Like it wasn't until I went to UNI and I studied psychology in my undergrad And it wasn't really until I was there meeting lots of other people, particularly people who would grow like who had grown up in rural regional spaces and who had really like no sex ed, no information, and I kind of became a little bit of the like sex advice person at my like UNI res accommodation.
Speaker 1: The dolly doctor, the live well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, kind of like the live version, but it was just because I would talk about it, and I had so many I had so many female friends at the time who would come up to me, and not even friends just like friends are friends who would be like Lauren, you know, like you know, I'm not liking sex, or I can't my partner can't give me an orgasm, like what am I meant to do? And my first question was always like, oh, well, how do you give yourself an organism? Like what does pleasure look like? Solo? And I would just be met with these blank faces and this just like, oh, what are you talking about? I don't explore my own pleasure? And I started to really realize that, oh, for so many people, your pleasure is linked to someone else's and it's all about that other person, the audience or who you're trying to, you know, like play to versus. Actually pleasure is something you have a right in your own body.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, oh my god, it's so fascinating. I'm so grateful to hear that your curiosity in your household was met with, you know, expansive ways to explore that and provide, you know, some service to your schoolmates. But also just yeah, that you were able to grow up in an environment that fostered that acceptance of self and body and relationships in that way. You're right, it's fascinating. I think we do have this such socialization attached to our bodies, and especially for black women particularly. You know, you think about our bodies have been for the taking for so long, they've been enslaved, they've been you know, subjected to abuse. Think about how we view pornography and just other things about a black women's body. It's like the biggest act of reclamation is truly coming into your body. And it's a process, isn't it to really come back to yourself and to feel at home and safe and well in our bodies. I think it would be an interesting conversation. And I mean with that in mind, sis you know, like when you think about the work that you do, there's such a spectrum right from research and education to conversations around you know, consent, pornography. Then there's this sort of notion around intimacy, desirability connecting to our bodies relationships. I wonder for the lay people out there who aren't maybe familiar, I'm wondering if you could talk to me about what is a sexologist and what are some of the things that you do in your work in this space to help us sort of understand this further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, now twenty twenty four, there are a lot more sexologists out there, but you know, it's still something most people have never heard of. My favorite way to have this conversation is with like an uber driver, because they'll, you know, when I'm working on conference or something, and then they're like, oh, what do you do? And I have to have that moment where like, do I want to say what I do? Because inevitably, when you say sexologist, someone here is sex worker and I kind of get that commenttion so like you're a sex worker, like you have like sex with people. I'm like, no, that's not what I do. And there is no shame towards any sex workers. We love sex workers. But this is a space where I go, no, so this is like therapy, This is like sex therapy. And then someone inevitably goes, oh, so you're like the mum from sex education, and I go yeah, but like, hopefully with a few more boundaries, I'd like to think, yeah, but I've worked really so I've worked in private practice as a sexologist, and so I kind of specialized of helping people who were dealing with sexual dysfunction and pain, particularly so things like vaginismus and volverdinia. I worked with a lot of couples that had issues around you know, sexual satisfaction desire. But sexologists can also work with people who have things like sexual trauma, issues with sexual confidence or sexual self esteem, pleasure, you know, even things like fertility. Sexologies are really broad space and so we can work clinically with people like one and Moe, like in a therapeutic practice like a therapist, or you can kind of have sexologists that do education. And so a big part of the work I do is I work with a nonprofit called Body Safety Australia and we do education, so in schools, in communities where we do things that are around you know, you know, comprehensive sex positive sexuality education as well as relationships education can sen you know, digital media literacy stuff particularly on relationships and sex, and so there's an element of education and even in a therapeutic space there's an element of education. But I really love to get you know, like my satisfaction I get with my work is being able to see change in like a one on one space, like with one person, and that's kind of where it happens in therapy. But I also, you know, I'm a big believer that education is how we make social change, and so you know, I'm hoping that, you know, with every generation, our sex ed gets better and our shame reduces. And to do that, I kind of need to go and talk to lots of people. So that's where that kind of bigger education comes in.
Speaker 1: Well, so fascinating to and that you know, it's such a broad conversation and I hear you about that sort of desire to be working on a one to one basis. You really see that transformative change. But the power of educating young people about this. You know, I'm going to reveal something. I'm a nineties kid, So I grew up in my teen years, was in the naughties, and I think back to the sex education that we got and as I mentioned before, with my family, we mum was removed and a missionary, so grew up quite Christian, and I think just also very just very timid and shy and certainly not empowered and you know, in their bodies or you know, or probably felt some sense of desire. I think that they were. You know, Mum was a single mom five kids. You know, your bodies is just for everyone, you know in that way, And so I think back to how undersophisticated our learnings were, and even at home, I remember we never got the sex talk. The only thing that Mum did was just gave us a box of tampons and sort of made us work it all out. So with that in mind, you know, what sort of stuff in your line of work and this notion of debunking the shame and the taboo, what sort of things are you sort of seeing in working with young people about this really important conversation, especially around the intersectionality between consent pornography and male violence as well, you know, which is a big conversation we're having as a nation right now. What sort of stuff are you seeing in your line of work?
Speaker 2: It's a huge conversation. And I think what I am seeing more and more is how much young people actually are so ahead of us, you know, the you know, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen year olds I'm working with us have so much more understanding of nuance around this stuff than I did when I was also growing up in that lovely nineties and naughties moment, and so young people are really good at articulating what they want. And you know, a huge thing I hear from them all the time is they don't just want to be told what's wrong and bad. And I think when we, you know, go into this, it's really easy for adults to focus on deficit and we do. And like this happens with MOB all the time, which is we want to focus on deficits. So when I I'm working with like, you know, a first nation's community around this work, someone will go, oh, you're making sure you're talking about you know, contraception and STIs and you know, making sure we're not all team parents. And I'm like, okay, well that's one way to think. That's a real deficit way. That's you thinking that our mob always has a problem, versus going in and actually saying, yeah, let's talk about what kind of relationships we do want. Where are the examples of really healthy, positive relationships that we get to see versus media that you know, maybe isn't showing us that representation. You know, what does it look like to have you know, a consensual sexual experience young people always tell me they understand consent because you know, they get it really drilled into them a lot now, which is great. But what they'll tell me is, but Lauren, like, how do I have fun sexual experience or like a pleasurable sexual ascience. How he's enjoying themselves, not just trying to focus on what we don't want to harm someone? And I think when with young people and always focus on is harm, we're not creating any opportunities for them to actually have a yarn about what's good and it means, like sex relationships, it's all done through a harm deficit lens versus actually, let's talk about strength.
Speaker 1: Wow, God, it's so fascinating. So I guess what I'm hearing is that, yeah, young people are sort of thirsty for this more sophisticated understanding and having the courage to have these conversations and wanting to learn about it. But it's fascinating to hear that, Yeah, for our mob, it's still being put as a deficit, and it's really important and deadly to hear that you are sort of having this conversation about viewing our bodies as strength considering all of what our bodies have endured and that our bodies should be celebrated as well. So wow, it's so fascinating, so fascinating.
Speaker 2: And I think for us as adults, like I think as well, like we have to do so much unlearning, you know, and unlearning those kind of narratives or stories that have been given to us about our bodies. You know, I think for so many of us, we talk, you know, we talk so much about walking between two worlds. But I you know, I think when we talk about pleasure and bodies, it goes beyond that to this idea that our bodies have been labeled by others and as things. You know, our body is a signal of a problem, or our body is showing either how well colonization was or how you know, or if it didn't work out very well. You know, our skin is commented on color, you know, you know, all of these sort of things versus even you know again, and it's all very deficit versus you know, when I look at my body and my you know, skin on my face, and you know, I see my family, I see my mob, I see my Aunie's I see you know, I get to see that in myself, and that's a strength but for a very long time when I was growing up, you know, and even still, I think identity is something we all have to you know, be on our own journey with. And you know, while you know my representation of my mob, you know, when you're young, I think you I think we're really hard on it. We're really hard on our body and ourself and our image and what it represents. And you know, there's always a thing.
Speaker 1: We want it to be. And I think this sort of really underscores the importance of having these conversations with young people so early, because you know, we've all experienced or will continue to experience, that feeling of not feeling desirable enough, loved enough, wanted enough, safe enough. You know, sometimes when we work with clients from a burnout and trauma perspective about even coming back to our bodies and how that is as a process, like I guess in and of itself. And so you know, we can see why this conversation is just so important and just so needed, and you know, working with both young people but also just all people around, like you say, debunking this shamee. You mentioned something before, and I want to pick it up around you know, a lot of this is it is around how you've grown up, which is, you know, through your family and being open and that except and you know that you've always had this curiosity and ability to maybe experience pleasure. I wonder if thinking about your experience and thinking about say, my experience, you know, does the way that you talk about sex change when it comes to dealing with mob or is that a really is that also a very deficit way to look at it? You know, I guess what I'm saying is, do you approach this topic from a really holistic perspective for mob, because yeah, we've also got a different sort of experience in the colonies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yeah, it's I completely understand what you're asking because in a way to go, oh, I have a completely different way of working with mob than I do with white fellas. It's like inherently othering. It's very othering because actually I work with people. But in saying that, I also don't just work with people. I work with people who have had you know, racism placed on them, or who again have lived through colonization and continue to live through colonization. And I work with people who've experienced violent and I think, how you approach any of those individuals looks really different. And to me, how how I work with MOB is about creating a safe space, like that's the most important thing. And for MOB, there is you know, there are particular ways we do that, and you know, it is about how you create a culturally safe space. And sometimes that is as simple as me, you know, even just acknowledging that I'm not going to judge someone when they tell me about their family and their family story, when they tell me about, you know, the trauma that their family has experienced, I can go, yeah, my family's experienced like, you know, the same trauma. And just even that knowing of I know what they're talking about, I'm not going to judge them or ask them to try and you know, carry the burden of explaining to me colonial violence, like even just me being to go, yeah, yeah, I know what that is, I know what that feels like. That's a lived experience and knowledge I have, and so that can help me create a bit of a safe space to have that, you know, this kind of a yarn. And then I think, as well, you know, making sure I'm not jumping into seeing things as a problem, because like I've grown up in the colony, like I've grown up with this idea. You know, teen pregnancy is bad and having all these kids is bad. And you know, we get taught really sex negative ideas and a lot of those are actually quite counted what can be completely culturally appropriate at times as well, And so you know, me reminding myself that, hey, like I, you know, I have biased because I've grown up in a colony that has bias and calling it out so that the person I'm yearning with goes, oh yeah, okay, Like like this person will get it. They'll understand or at least they're not going to judge me on how I talk or how I word something or maybe what my needs are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, it's like that. It's just that power of lived experience and validation and that knowing, isn't it Sometimes that that's why black therapists and counselors and psychologists and sexologists are just so important for us as part of this reclamation, to have that space where we feel that they know what we're experiencing. Yeah, will be back you mob right after this short break. I want to also just sort of circle back from something you mentioned before around you know, experiencing pleasure. And I recognize that this is not to give anyone any advice outside of their general mental health care plan or any other treatment that they're seeing. But you know, for anyone, is there any tips or suggestions or ways that we can cultivate more awareness of when we're experiencing joy and pleasure in our bodies? I know that, as I mentioned at the top of the show, a big part of my healing journey over the last fifteen twenty years has been to really learn ways to come back to my body. It was sort of the last step. I was such an able to intellectualize how I was feeling and to think about it, but not to experience it. And as somebody who's gone on this journey myself, I know that it's been such a practice to really accept my body for what it is the fact that it's this sacred beating reminder of my ancestors. As someone who lives with chronic illness, it's been this process of reacquainting back to my body. But yeah, I'm curious, you know, are there any ways that we can cultivate more Yeah, more appreciation for our bodies?
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely, I think I you know, I've been told before this might sound radical, but I don't think in this environment anyone's going to think it is. But like pleasure, sex, pleasure, you know, our bodies, there's a Western mentality that's very goal orientated. It's like there is success and failures, and there are goals, and like with pleasure, the goal is like an orgasm, for example, like to get super simple and so people go, oh, okay, then if I'm doing something with pleasure, it should end with an orgasm, and an orgasm is an end. And it's very linear. It's like point A to B and pleasure can become transactional. Now to me, that's a real Western lens. And for most us we are relational people. We are about building relationships, and I think people you know, for us, we need to think about what's the relationship you have withsure and your body, and where is the space to explore that relationship. You know, it's not just about hey, I need to meet this goal, I need to hit this mark, I need to tick this box. Because my word, that sounds like some corporate jug and that has no no, no space to be anywhere near anyone's body. So like, how do we actually go well, how to explore myself, what gives me pleasure, what gives me insane, toe curling, incredible sexual pleasure, and then what gives me like joyful pleasure, what gives my body comfort in pleasure? Like you know, it can be about exploring something erotic or sensual, or like take a minute when you change your sheets next time to explore how much pleasure it gives your body to like lie in them for the first time, and something as little as bad giving yourself permission to create, you know, to have a yarn about pleasure with yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I love that. What is the relationship you have with pleasure and where do you find space to cultivate it? And I love it. This is why I love having black butlers on this show Yarning Up to God, because it's like this notion of we've had to go to university learn a Western way and then completely decolonize it and re unravel and unthink it. Because this notion that pleasure there is no endpoint and it's nonlinear is of course it makes so much sense. But you're right, everything in a Western paradigm is about you know, quick efficient end binaries, and so yeah, it's really it's really it's a really fascinating conversation. You know, I guess with that in mind. You know, for me personally, it's been a journey to sort of differentiate certain feelings when it comes to this, you so sort of lump and when we talk about things like pleasure and intimacy, but also joy well like black joy. And as I mentioned, I've really been thinking about this question about when do I notice when I feel joy and pleasure in my body? And because I think over the last eleven months, with what's been happening over the world, you know, we have to be in a space where our joy and our fear and our sadness can all coexist. Because when we have these pleasurable moments or joyful moments, they give us they expand our capacity to be able to you know, get through things. So it's such an important part of our toolkit. You know, I wonder with that, you know, how do you get into your body? What person or practice or things sort of light you up? And you know, do you find yourself moving and dancing or just being aware of your body and taking up that space? You know, what are the things that yeah light you up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I love this and I completely. Like before I talk about what lights me up. You know, I think the last eleven months as show us how much we need joy and pleasure because I think we are in such a globally connected time in the world, which is amazing because it means we are more educated, we are more involved, we are more intense with our advocacy and more of our incredible advocates. But I also think it means, because we're so connected, we feel guilt if we take a minute for pleasure or joy, Like there is such like we have such shame, you know, like we put shame on ourselves for going. Oh, I should be you know, if someone is suffering, I should be, you know, spending twenty four to seven trying to fix it when actually all that's going to do is burn you out and then you are not actually going to be helpful for anyone. And so I think people need to also reframe it as pleasure is part of being an advocate and part of having advocism, because you know, if you don't have that, then your time, you know, being able to show up is going to be really short.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, oh my god, that's such an important yard.
Speaker 2: And also I'm not a mystic or like, you know, like I'm not you know, amazing at it as well, because I fall into traps of burning myself out with work or with activism or you know, with all these sort of things, and I have to remind myself to find joy and to me pleasure and joy is also about being playful, and so that's kind of where I found at the moment.
Speaker 3: So I I am my big issue is when I find something I like and that gives me joy and pleasure, I'm such a like, oh do I need to like make a new career out of this thing, or do I need to like do it to like a professional level.
Speaker 2: And I was a professional dancer for many years, and so dance gives me such joy. But I really struggle not to be like, oh, well, if I do it, I need to do it one hundred and ten percent, and you know, throw my whole entire being into something, which like, come on, we don't know what has time for all of the things I had to find like the other ways of giving myself joy and pleasure, And a big one for me at the moment actually is I've got my partner has gotten me kind of into swimming and I've never been like a swimmer. I grew up in Darwin. Water is danger not, it's not, it's not how that worked. But like going to the pool and I was, like, I thought doing laps and that sort of thing was going to be the most boring thing in the world. But I'm actually enjoying it. But what I love is that we do our like you know, we're adults, and you know, we're trying to take care of our body and our health and our well being, and so we do our swimming. But then we will play mermaids, and we will do handstands, and we will do like slip, I will do like silly ballet dancing in the pool, and we'll use the diving board. And like I think, as adults, there are so few opportunities for us to be playful that I'm really feeling the joy of that at the moment. And there's something so pleasurable about Actually, you know, I'm almost thirty and I'm doing handstands and being a mermaid and like a turtle in the water. Yeah, giving myself to freedom and permission to just like do whatever feels great.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, slay to that. Oh my god, The freedom to be so liberated in your own body that you can, yeah, do some somersaults and cartwheels and just to be so free, you know, and even like you know, just watching someone like combust in a belly laughter and let loose and has had that moment of just abyss into like complete freedom and letting go. I think it's what it is. It's like that letting go of something. And you know, there's a few things you said. Their first thing is, you know, thank you for sharing ways that you experience joy in your body and you know, through dancing and swimming, and I think also just sharing your honesty about that whole thing which many of us experience, which is we all have a proximity to, you know, the colonial mindset. We're all unlearning. So thank you for reminding us of that, because this idea that we have to be good at things is another you know, very colonial white supremacy trait, but just to do things for pure enjoyment and awe and wonder. I think the other thing you mentioned before, which I think is such a big important conversation, is around this notion of black fellows having guilt when we experience joy and pleasure. And I fully I think there's a whole like research slash, you know, resources that should be provided in thinking about this, because you're right, you know, we live in it in such sometimes dysfunction of such sadness and sorrow and sorry business and activism and fight or flight, that when we do experience joy, we do feel that that pang of guilts and should I be sharing it or you know, I'd be celebrating this. It's so interesting because it's so counter to how we view a lot of things, where such circle holistic people, but we all fall into these binary colonial traps in our own minds to say that we have to be this or that and we can't have a space in our lives where these things coexist. You know, even in the most darkest moments of my grief and loss, I've had these moments where I've like wanted to be laughing and silly, and I've felt such a guilty even to feel another emotion. And so I think it's just a really important conversation to have around our emotions can coexist and where all of these things can sit in the same bucket at the same day, and that we the ultimate act and the biggest fuck you to the colony is a happy black fellow, you know, and you're yeah, you're just smiling up walking down the street. Everyone's going to be very unsettled about your legitimacy as a black fellow, and you've been happy as so. You know, I think it's so important yard to have.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, and I yeah, exactly. I think there's such power in us, you know, carving out space for ourselves to because we talk about being you know, like loud and proud a lot. We talk about, you know, moving away from that like angry black woman narrative, but I think we are being you know, angry as black women. It's like, yeah, I can be just as loud when I'm angry as when I am joyful. And you know, our body is really good at, you know, allowing space for emotions to come in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such an important point.
Speaker 2: We judge ourselves really harshly on how our body experiences things like whether that's sexual pleasure, whether it's arousal, whether it's desire, as well as when we are sad or happy, or frustrated or angry or you know, in grief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just such a reminder that all of our emotions are so contrived of how they should look and feel, and that's why, you know, just to feel them in your authentic way. And I notice this sort of brings an important question to mine around I guess the connection between sexual intimacy and connected being connected to our body and our overall emotional health and wellbeing. You know, how important do you think it is for us to feel intimate and desired and wanted and all of those things? I know, for me personally, my love language is touch and words of affirmation a bit. With my partner for thirteen years. He's a gifts and acts guy, so we've had to learn to communicate. But I need affection to survive. It's like I'm like a catteror dog or something. I just need to feel connected on this really spiritual, cosmic level. I'm just yeah, And so I wonder, you know, how important is this conversation around intimacy and desirability for our overall wellbeing?
Speaker 2: Really great point, and I think I want to like go open up and come specific because I think overall this can be hugely important for so many people. I acknowledge that there are so many people who are you know, asexual or a romantic and who you know, sex and that kind of physical intancy is not an important part of their lives. And like that that's also completely valid. And I think, you know, I don't want anyone to feel like we need to that someone needs to be hyper sexual or like you know, like performative in their erotic self in a way that doesn't feel authentic from a general perspective. But I think a lot of people, you know, we've created or not even we have been given a narrative that sex is you know, we either have to be like shameful about it or we should be the best lovers in the world, and like we should know exactly what we're doing, but we should never have to talk about it or ask questions and it should come natural and if it doesn't come natural, then something's wrong. And there's like so many layers to it. And so I think, you know, how we create that like space for ourselves is really important because you know, it is vital just as much as I you know, I'm a big believer when we talk if you look into like you know, World Health Organization or these sort of spaces when they talk about sexual health. We have moved so far past the idea that sexual health is just the absence of disease or the absence problem, like we should be striving for so much more. We should be striving for sex that is, you know, intimate and satisfying and gives us what we need because some people, you know, and everyone will have different needs around that. But I don't think a lot of people ever ask themselves what that need is, or give themselves the time to actually ask themselves, you know, what does my body want do? What does my mind erotically want? What do I want with my partner? Or what do I want in my casual relationships? What do I want? You know, when I'm exploring my own body? And have I ever actually asked myself that? Because that's a really vulnerable thing to ask yourself, because you might open yourself up to realizing that what you have currently is not enough or it's not meeting your need, or you might actually just have a blank canvas and your body is telling you I don't know what I need. Yeah, And I think that's really scary when we ask ourselves what do we need and our body has no answer. But to me, all that means is, oh, okay, we haven't experienced it yet. So we need to explore, We need to create space to try things, and you know, in safe ways, try things so that our body can work out what it wants.
Speaker 1: Gosh, oh, sis, I could seriously listen to you all day. But you know what a beautiful reminder that, yeah, there is no one size fits all about what it means to feel connected to ourselves. And I think this is why this is important. This is such a conversation around relationality and the relationships we have with ourselves and others. But again, what a strong, beautiful reminder and circling back to earlier question around you know, if you are you know, not feeling as connected or at home, maybe those questions you might like to ask yourself, you know, what is my relationship with pleasure? When do I experience it? And you know, where do I create some more space to tune in for what pleasure looks and feels like for me because it is so unique and look so different for everyone. And yeah, like you know, giving yourself permission to like go on some self discovery as well, and to have the courage to do so, I think as well, because like you say, we're all learning about what it means to feel strong and confident and safe and empowered in our bodies.
Speaker 2: And I just want to call out for people because I think we, particularly women like you know, women across the board, you know, Black women, particularly because we are such like we often find ourselves in posions where we are caring for others, where we are looking after others. And you know, we're getting so much better at talking about you know, quote unquote self care, which I do find self care a very like Western idea anyway, but like we are getting much better at talking about you know, filling our own cups and you know, being aware of what burnout looks like and doing that. But when things get busy, when we get stressed, when you know, when things are hectic, often pleasure is the first thing that gets thrown out because we assume we don't have time for it or space for it, or you know, what's the point if I'm not ticking it off the box kind of thing, and in doing that as pleasure being the first thing that gets removed, Pleasure is the thing that's going to keep us going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. It is the thing that keeps us so expansive and open to new new ideas and newness. I think. I think that's a really really great point. And you know, with that in mind, I don't know what your thoughts are on this, but you know, for anyone who might be feeling that pleasure feels too strong of a word, or we might not be there. You know, maybe it's about thinking about when do I experience that sense of fun and that lightness or like we were talking about before, that sort of sense of going back to our childlike states and just that fun. You know, I've been thinking about this a lot. When I'm in my joy, I just feel lighter, I feel more at ease, I feel a warmth in my body. I feel I'm more present, I feel I'm more curious. I feel I'm more engaged. You know. It sort of can run parallel to so many other ways that I show up within myself and with my people and with my relationships, and so yeah, I've really had to prioritize it, like and also practice it, practice joy in fun because it does feel you do feel a bit shame or a bit like, I don't know, like you've got to be good at it or that, you know, what's the point I need to be doing things? But you know, just sort of finding ways to practice just fun is important.
Speaker 2: So we have such a fear of failure, and like this failure word is so intense and it is such an idea of the colony when it's like it's not about pass or fail succeed and this like it's not binary, Like you're doing something, you're connecting with something, whether it's yourself, whether it's country, whether it's mob, whether it's you know, just a fun feeling. And I think that that fear of failure is what leads us to that need to be perfect. And it's like I had this the other day when I was at my gathering space and having a yarn and you know, when of my uncles started painting and I hadn't painted in I don't even know how long, and I was like, you know what, I'm just I'm just gonna I'm just gonna do some and I'm not I'm going to really try. And it was hard, I want to call out. It was really hard to not go, Okay, well, I'm painting something for a purpose or it needs to mean a certain thing, or I need to go in with an intention. I literally just picked up a you know, astick and started painting and just kind of let it be whatever it was. And then what you know, since then, I've also tried to not let my brain spiral into that. Well, now, if you're going to do painting, you know, you've got to do it this way and this is the right way, and you've got to make a habit and you've got to create a practice. And it's like, actually, what I wanted in that moment paint because it was making me feel connected to mob and like that feeling was what was giving me joy. And of course I can paint again, but like, I don't need to feel like I need to make it look the way. You know, we feel like we sometimes need to show up in white spaces. I don't need to prove to anyone that I'm doing something to better myself or to better something. I'm doing it because I want to do it.
Speaker 1: And you're so right. Not everything has to be performance or for the gays. Some things are sacred just for ourselves, And you know, I think that's it's a sacred act, you know, just to to choose the things that you that you want to do without having to Yeah, like you say, over complicated or being seven layers deep, yeah, I think it's just for me. Taking away from this is just a reminder to give ourselves permission to, yeah, check in with what our needs and wants and desires are, and that our that we're worthy of the time and attention to ask ourselves what do we want? You know, when do we feel connected? And just that we all have permission to, yeah, experience all of all of life and all of the emotions including joy and pleasure and desire. So yeah, certainly given me a lot to think about sis. I mean, where can people I know that you're you, I know that you're heading up education a Body Safety Victoria, and I know you've just done or you are doing your churchhill, But yeah, where can people come and connect to some of the work you're doing. Are you able to share some of the things that you've got in the pipeline for anyone who, like me, is just so interested in learning more from you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course. Well look I'm always up for a yana a chat, so everyone please feel free to reach out. Yet, so for education, I'm the head of education with Body Safety Australia. You can reach me on like Instagram is probably one of the easiest ways to reach out to me. So I'm Lauren French sexologist on Instagram. I'm not seeing clients in private practice at the moment because yes, as you said, I've just returned from completing the travel portion of my Churchill fellowship. My fellowship was specifically looking at indigenous elder guided practice around community healing and repair, specifically after youth sexual violence. So I've been like deep diving on like indigenous ways of learning and like doing research that is actually for mob and not just you know, for an academic lens in a western way. And so I have a report on my fellowship coming out soon. Don't ask me the actual date. I do not know yet, but like once that is out there, we'll be able to read that. And so yeah, so if people want to have a yarm with me about the work, the education work, go to Body Safety Australia. If you want to have a yarm with me about being a sexologist or that work that I do, Instagram probably the best place. And basically just everyone look out for my report because I'd really love it if someone other than me and my mum read it, so like that would be really great.
Speaker 1: At Wow Wow, we will be sure to put all of your details in our show notes about where to connect to Body Safety Australia and over Instagram. But I just want to say thank you so so much. You've really given me a lot to think about. You know, it's been really fascinating to learn about. Yeah, where you started with your family as a curious young person black fellow in Northern Territory and where you've gone on around the world to have these conversations across you know, the globe. So you know, just want to say thank you for this hard yaka that you're doing, and thanks for giving me a lot to think about as well on my journey into coming back and reclaiming my body and thinking about pleasure and pleasure activism.
Speaker 2: Love that for you know, thank you so much for having me and I hope this will be helpful for everyone listening, and like for anyone listening, you know, don't feel like you need to take a huge step around this space either, like little things, find a little thing that brings you pleasure and joy and yeah, like you know, just I think if we can all give ourselves permission to prioritize pleasure for it to actually be a thing, we're allowed to prioritize in our day, or our week, or our month or our year. Then I think that's a hugely, you know, powerful piece of activism.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna leave it on that note because that is such an important, beautiful thing to sort of remind us as we as we close out the show. Thank you again, my cis. I really appreciate your time today.
Speaker 2: Thanks Everyoneesday Deadly, Thank you so much for listening you mob.
Speaker 1: If you are vibing this season of yearning up, then please head over to Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts from to show us love, rate, and review. Alternatively, you can get in contact and give us some feedback by visiting www. Dot carolinecow dot com dot ahu