Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Or we have been doing over the last color weeks, sin since we start the eightes. Out of the eighties, obviously, Jackie Boy a millennial, it's not seen a lot of these movies that we talk about in the eighties. So each day, the day before when I ask him to watch one of them. So you've done quite a few now, and Karate Kids.
Speaker 3: Crad a Kid, Top Gun, Police Academy, James Bond's Octopussy.
Speaker 2: And then the ultimate one yesterday. I thought it was the right moment in his life to initiate him. This is what people need sometimes, young men to be initiating into a rite of passage.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's get into Roadhouse. Do you enjoy ving pined on.
Speaker 2: What a movie nineteen eighty nine Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse, the best damn caller in the business. A movie about a bouncer. But wait, no honorary bouncer. Because we're dealing with Patrick Swayzee. He's got a PhD in philosophy. When he's suspensing bad guys, he's also dispensing genuine, interesting Western and Eastern philosophy.
Speaker 3: I was most nervous about going into this one because I know it's a movie that's close to your heart, and I hadn't really heard of it. Of course, I've heard of Karate Kid, heard of Top Gun, heard of Police Academy. Roadhouse don't really have much about.
Speaker 2: It to disregard it as a bad like a good bad movie. When I genuinely would put this in my top ten. It is a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: So I was worried that I was going to have to come in this morning and say, Christian, I hated one of your favorite films of all time. But let me tell you, the recommendation tree that you've been running has produced its first tasty apple road House, Christians Roadhouse. Yes, it is a ten out of ten movie.
Speaker 1: Dalton gave you ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: It is awesome.
Speaker 1: No word of a lie man.
Speaker 3: That's a great movie.
Speaker 1: So do you watch it with your wife Bianca?
Speaker 3: She loved it as well. Nine out of ten from Bianca, ten out of ten from me.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 2: Can I just say this is it too much to say it's a religious experience.
Speaker 3: Because it actually is. The least A DoD has a cheesy premise. He's the best bouncer in America. He's got a PhD.
Speaker 2: So how much money in there is there? He's got that Mercedes convertible.
Speaker 1: He's a bouncer. Are they paid that well?
Speaker 3: I guess in the eighties in America, being a bouncer is a huge thing.
Speaker 1: But it's not. He wasn't just that he's the best damn calder in the business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because everybody knows him wherever he goes. Hey, that's Dom, that's Dalton. It is a great film. It's actually not cheesy at all. It's actually an awesome film. The it doesn't feel like the eighties cheese that was in Sorry to say, Top Gun and Karate Kid. It's just really good. You didn't want me how violent it was. You could have put a disclaimer on that.
Speaker 2: But what it is is they balance out with tai Chi. And also when Dalton is so tough in this movie, he's just got one name. He's just known as Dalton. Right when he's doing that tai Chi, there's one scene. A lot of people talk about the home e rottesism in Top Gun, right about the beach volleyball scene. That is nothing compared to don't when he's doing tai Chee. There's other men in the background, just staring at him, watching him in awe and it's like, hang on a minute, why are we talking about this?
Speaker 3: Patrick Swayzey doing the ti chee is probably my only bug bear with the film. We didn't need four minutes of that. It went for a very long time.
Speaker 1: It was like, but what a body on him? He's amazing. That's not even a twelve pack? What is that?
Speaker 3: And I was I was sitting on the couch eating Chucky's while I'm watching.
Speaker 2: Road I thought you were going to say I was sitting on the couch getting excited.
Speaker 1: By four minutes. I wound for a little guys to cool.
Speaker 3: Down, munching at a block of cabre, and I thought, no way is this guy eating any chocolate.
Speaker 1: Every inch of him.
Speaker 3: Is ready to fire, poise, coil. So tell me this, did you every time you watch Roadhouse? Surely afterwards you're like giving.
Speaker 1: Him one of these? Do you?
Speaker 2: Someone?
Speaker 1: Really sad?
Speaker 2: So when I saw that, I came out in nineteen eighty nine. I was sixteen, right, You can you imagine in sixteen seeing that, and I'm to martial arts and I think.
Speaker 1: This guy's my new mentor. Of course he's smoking throughout the movie as well. I go because I like, I need to learn tai chi.
Speaker 2: What a great way That's what I'm going to find girls is if I just start going to local park stripped to.
Speaker 3: The wait on my beer's like shirtose blooney white.
Speaker 1: There's only no way you would buy those right to kmart seale them. But anyway, right, I just thought I need to I need to learn tai chi and then start doing it in parks to attract girls. So I thought, there's not a lot of spiritual masters, right right.
Speaker 2: So I remember going to my dad going, I know too, I going to thay Chie my dad fair blay. He didn't laugh if he went, Well, I guess we're gonna have to go to the local library. My dad drove me too the local library, and I hired out two books on tai chi, something called white Crane or horse Fly tai Chie.
Speaker 1: And do you know how long I took that up? For three minutes? So slow, it's so slow. Anyway, let's go back to Roadhouse. So obviously you got the star of it. Patrick.
Speaker 3: He's one of the most handsome men in film ever.
Speaker 1: What about that mane of hair? Brilliant And he's even when he's.
Speaker 2: Like roadhouse and kicking me from the head or taking knives off them. What about the one where someone stabs him in the arm. He doesn't even flinch he gets shot in he has flinch all the tight cheek.
Speaker 3: And then Sam Elliott is like his guru.
Speaker 1: And the second damn best caller in the business.
Speaker 3: He used to be the best, the best of the best. I actually saw Wade Garrett sam Elliott's character as you, and I was the young You're my mentor and I'm learning from you.
Speaker 1: And how beautiful is sam Elliott in that.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous man with that gray of hair.
Speaker 1: And that's it's tied back in a bun, but he pulls it off.
Speaker 3: One one thing about the movie that I really loved Brad Wesley. He's the bad guy, the rich bad guy who runs the.
Speaker 2: Whole the most evil man America. And so he's got a stranglehold over the whole town.
Speaker 1: Right. Why I only ever saw two houses there? Right?
Speaker 2: People just leave in one of two houses. The other side that strange big river. Right, there's a car dealership and the general store.
Speaker 1: What do you want? What else have they got there?
Speaker 3: Then the world's biggest roadhouse, the bar that they're actually protecting, that they're the bouncers off. Yeah, with hundreds of people in at night, it's like, where are these people?
Speaker 2: An evil plan is he wants to rebuild it and expand it into a chain.
Speaker 1: That's his plan for world domination.
Speaker 3: Okay, one more thing. I know, we've got to get to the news, and we're way late. I don't want to spoil the ending for anybody who hasn't say it, because I would recommend people to see it.
Speaker 2: If you he's been out since nineteen eighty nine, you can't say spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: Go and watch it on stand free on stan At the moment Roadhouse, I loved it. I'm not going to say the part I love the most. I'm just going to do it for you.
Speaker 1: End of the.
Speaker 2: Film, the throat. Okay, can we just talk about quickly about that right? Two things. The bad guy who is all building to that right is on a motorbike.
Speaker 1: Dawnton walks him down.
Speaker 2: The other guy is on let me say again, a motorbike, but I'll mate with the tai Chi managed to walk up to him and drag him off. He runs him down on his feet against a man on a motorbike, he tackles him, and then that bit where you know Dawn filt. The movie is just suspensing bodies left, fright and tent. He doesn't even think about it. He's just a pure machine. Suddenly me he's the most evil man in America who killed his best mate.
Speaker 1: I've counted it. He waivers, not known what to do for nineteen long seconds.
Speaker 2: Hang on, you kill people that you only just met, this guy, the most evil man in America.
Speaker 1: You're going to wait twenty seconds. You don't know what.
Speaker 3: To do because that's the moment where Dalton changes. He's thinking is like, do I want to be the animal or do I want to go to a new life where I'm not a vicious killer anymore?
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing films. So ten out of ten, ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: I could talk about it with you for hours.
Speaker 1: Watch it this weekend, Roadhouse on stands.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell show podcast