Speaker 1: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet?
Speaker 2: The movie podcast, where our ch out to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian writer filmmaker Wine Bluff Damien Callman.
Speaker 3: All Blow. I want to stay here with you, gay little jobble?
Speaker 4: Why hate snake shock whil.
Speaker 1: It couldn't be happening right yourself?
Speaker 2: You don't see nothing, I mean Kaalenon and I started comedy around the same time. In fact, he may have had it like a six month head start on me, and we kind of bonded pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I gravitated towards Damien.
Speaker 2: We've played a lot of the same rooms together and he was instantly likable. We actually went to the same school, Pro College in Bundura in Melbourne, and we just had a very similar sensibility. Damien was on the early seasons of Before the Game. We worked together on comedy series Skit House, and there's always been a joy to see Damien work up close. I said it last week when I was revealing this week's guest that if Paul Kelly did comedy, that would be like Damien Kalmon Dami Count basically is the Paul Kelly of comedy. Like he loves Australian history. A lot of his shows are kind of about Australian history. He's got a fascination history with wartime and it's reflected in the shows and his comedy and the things he puts out into the world. He did a wonderful movie called The Merger, which he wrote and it is genuinely a beautiful film that has played around the world. And if you haven't seen The Merger, it's a hidden gem and I wish it wasn't as hidden, but those who have found it become really passionate fans of it and advocates for it.
Speaker 1: So check out The Merger.
Speaker 2: Damien is also cheering around at the moment in a new show called Double Feature, maybe playing regional Victoria, New South Wales. More dates to come. He's got a book out called Weird School. In fact, he's put together a Book Week comedy gala at the Comedy Republic on the final Saturday of Bookweek and there is heaps of special guests.
Speaker 1: I can't make it. I was going to appear.
Speaker 2: I can't now, but I'm going to work out a way that I can somehow be involved, hopefully, But there is a massive special guest that I'll let Damien maybe reveal later in this episode.
Speaker 1: If you love books, if your kids love books, then they're invited.
Speaker 2: Take the kids along and there'll be some massive names in the world of kids publishing, in fact, maybe the biggest name, and we'll be there making an appearance. Damien also does the wine Blast by great mate Paul Colegia.
Speaker 1: We've been doing that for years.
Speaker 2: Damien is a great storyteller, is great company, always great for a laugh, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 4: Kay. My name is Damian Kwenon. My three favorite films are down by law.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me?
Speaker 1: Not enough for room to.
Speaker 4: Swing a cat, eh news front, Well, I don't know a lot of things die.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm you around here.
Speaker 5: Would you call it a moral?
Speaker 4: Primitive? True?
Speaker 6: Too true?
Speaker 4: And the Princess Brian.
Speaker 6: My name is Hugo Montoya.
Speaker 1: You killed my father prepared to die.
Speaker 4: Up until about three pm yesterday, I had never seen the film Pulp Fiction.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 1: I love you, honey, Bunny.
Speaker 2: Everybody we call us the Robbery Any dear old fucking frection move, Hannah, execute every mother fucking last.
Speaker 4: One of you.
Speaker 2: Yes, what the two Los Angeles based hitman, a over the hill boxer, amub boss, a mob boss's failed actress wife, and a mysterious briefcase have in common?
Speaker 1: Of course, you know the answer, because you know.
Speaker 2: This episode features the Quentin Tarantina nineteen ninety four classic pulp fiction, a true.
Speaker 1: Game changer, a move that took nonlinear to a new level.
Speaker 2: It gave us John Travolda again, a violent masterpiece with a string of brilliant set pieces intervene with piercingly funny dialogue involving McDonald's in Paris and foot massages. Pulp Fiction may not even be Tarantino's best, almost accomplished film, but it's the one with his greatest legacy. Damien Kellenman, have you given another man's wife a foot massage?
Speaker 1: Be honest? Please?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: There's some thinking on there.
Speaker 4: I did. Yeah, I was trying to think about it during the film because they are like almost there's almost no woman in the world who doesn't like a foot massage. Look, I probably have, but I wouldn't. It wouldn't be unbidden would have been like that was an extremely strenuous fourteen kilobate a bushwalk. Damien, you ap to be the only available messe on.
Speaker 1: Hand weave at a crack. We've worked in officers before.
Speaker 2: I don't believe I recall you being the creepy massage guy.
Speaker 4: No, No, absolutely not not the just you know, just slipping in behind, just giving the shoulders a bit, you know, it look to be tense.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think those guys have been removed from officers cross the country now, across the world now.
Speaker 4: But that was except for the ones who are owned the big office. There's still there's still a few of those around.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure, Yeah, but that was a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy who would, yeah, just go up behind the ladies sitting at her desk doing her work and begin a message.
Speaker 4: I must I must admit I'm happily married. But one of the deficiencies that's been pointed out to me is my inability to message. Not that I don't give it a go. She just she's just like not, but my foot massage is she actually tolerates others, Like if my shoulders a bit tight after about three seconds, you'd just like to shake her shells. All right, I'm better off with out like you're giving feet massages, she reckons. I'm not too bad.
Speaker 2: Not a bad way to be that, you know, not that you don't want to nail your massage too much. You're there for an hour exactly. Yeah, that's time consuming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true. I bet you want to get good enough that. Yeah, you know it's not embarrassment, Yeah, not so good that. Yeah, you'd been subscripted on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: We might come back to find it.
Speaker 2: You can't pay for that ship. By the way, there are plenty of plenty of places around, all kinds of levels and all kind of levels. Damian kellenon Whole Fiction. This has almost been you know, the white whale of this podcast. People have asked us to do more Tarantino. We have done one, which was one of his more recent releases, in fact, his most recent release at the time of recording, which is Once Upon Time in Hollywood with Phil Lloyd. He hadn't seen that, but we we've been very keen to explore. You know, I would say peak Tarantino. That might be unfair because I think some of his you know, later films are just as good, if not better. But a reservoir dogs or a pulp fiction has been requested by many of our listeners. Hard to find somebody who either hasn't seen it or will admit.
Speaker 1: To not seeing it. Brave man, you put up your hand. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to have put up my hands.
Speaker 2: And why yeah, because I mean you're a filmmaker, you love film. This must have been one that you know, there must have been a reason.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a couple of things to address there. Yes, I am a filmmaker, but one of those filmmakers that there's a lot of embarrassing films that I haven't seen. In fact, I remember my film The Merger was taken over to tour Dublin and Ireland and Scotland for the Dublin Glasgow Film Festivals, and then we did an embassy tour through Europe and I remember finding myself in It's a place good Yugos Levenka Cinematecha in Belgrade, organized by the Autraian Embassy. There were embassy members of like virtually every country in Europe in this It's one of the biggest repositories to film in the world. It's got the greatest collection of art house films in the world, and I understanding that you just can't. I haven't seen any of the rocky films. Well, if they start asking me questions and there's a reverence to filmmakers over there like nothing else, particularly an Eastern Europe. Like once, say someone introduced me and it was the ambassador for Albabia and any kind of I just gotto and they said, damians the filmmaker. They also need to start bowing and groveling.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was absolutely spectacularly awkward.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So I have that in the back of my head all the time. But the Tarantino, I.
Speaker 2: Would have said, Tarantino probably does make us feel I mean, that is a very specific experience you had that most people don't have to.
Speaker 4: Don't ask me about Tarantino. I'll talk about Albert I'll talk about Albanian foreign pology. I'm across that.
Speaker 2: But Tarantino, because he is such a film geek, does rub it in our faces a bit, like the fact that he knows possibly the more about Australian film than we do. Yeah, it is kind of its kind of a little bit embarrassing, you know. So I don't think we can hold ourselves the Tarantino standards. He's another one who has that kind of encychopedic knowledge of world cinema.
Speaker 1: But this is what these podcast is here because people would.
Speaker 2: Say to me, yeah, you're you're you know, you're a movie You're a cinephile, and I love movies, but there's there's so many gaps in my in my demography as far as being a viewer.
Speaker 4: But Tarantino, Yeah, well look my avoidance and it was an avoidance for a while. Of Tarantino was a bit more specific, and it came down to I've I've always had a dislike for Gratuitor's filence, both in life but in film, and because that was you know, well I hadn't seen pop fiction or reservoir dogs. There was this kind of celebration of the stylistic way that he portrayed violence that kind of I just didn't I just didn't want to see. And a lot of that came from and it wasn't just Tarantino. I witnessed when I was nine years old at double murder suicide at the Greensborough shopping Center, right, which is a true story. And so through my kind of twenties and early thirties. I had a real reluctance to see violent films because I'd seen it in real life, and then because the Tarantino thing became a bit trendy to say it, I think I also developed a bit of no, I'm just not going to see it. I don't want to see that sort of stuff. And it wasn't until I Killed Bill was the first Tarantino film.
Speaker 1: I saw that you changed the most violent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it also I didn't find it affecting at all because it was so cartoonish. So yeah, and that kind of went on, Maybe I should go back through the back catalog, and I didn't. I think I saw Kill Bill too. I tried to watch in Glorious Bastards, Yeah, and I got to the baseball bat scene and I went.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah and stopped.
Speaker 4: So interestingly, quite like war films always have. And there's something about the separation of was by the intention of violence, you know. And I'm probably more a history not than a film not. And I quite like exploring the history of human kind, and particularly the twentieth century, so dense with conflict, but also the worst of the human condition. So yeah, I'm kind of drawn to war films. I saw an incredible war film last night, Sizu. It's a new Finish film set. It's like you'd love it. It's a Western really, it's set in desolate Lapland towards the end of World War Two. This former Finnish commando who's kind of gone off and he's just prospecting for gold. His family has been killed by the Nazis. He's just similar to the Wilderness. But the Nazis as they're leaving being chased out of Finland by Russia, come through and they steal his gold and a story unfolded. But it's a fantastic film, and the violence is extraordinarily brutal, but again almost cartoonish.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's because in Glorious Barsards is my favorite Tarantino film. I think it has one of the best sequences of all time, which involves I think we spoke about it last week with with Limo potentially.
Speaker 1: I think it's come up a few times.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's a great scene where there's a run a little bunker bark or the rendezvous where there's Diane Kruger is a fastbending their meeting. You know, there's a meeting and going on and there's some drunk German soldiers and the company and it just goes on that scene. Yeah, I actually really like that scene. Yeah, so you've seen that because that that Yeah, yeah, I've seen that. That is an extraordinarily tense scene. And I think that's what I said, we'll get your three favorite films in a sect. But I said in the intro, I just want to make sure I do clarify it that Pulp Fiction is certainly the one film that I think will be the highest point of Taranton's legacy because it really changed cinema, Like everyone was all of a sudden, sometimes better and worse, to be honest, Like, and I funny you say about the stylistic violence, and I completely agreed. All that came out and it was like, yeah, he stylizing in his glorifying violence. I look at it now and it doesn't seem as stylistic as as I remembered it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my reaction to saying it too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he had guy Ritchie, you know, who was kind of probably got a lot of you know, his budgets went through the roof because of Pulp Fiction and films like that, and that's very stylistic and where this kind of felt less stylistic than I remembered. I hadn't seen it for a few years, but yeah, Tarantina does do these great set pieces, you know, and and and.
Speaker 1: The longer his career went on, the more time he had.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what I love about pulp fiction, but even more so these other films where he's just a filmmaker who knows and those importance of the sitting with the character and the observing a character, whether it's Bruce Willis parking his car block away and going through that and then the car a lot to get to his to his apartment, you know, because he knows that there might be people waiting for him.
Speaker 4: Or Yeah, it allows that time to play out.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's and that's not what I love it.
Speaker 4: But it was interesting watching Sizu straight after. Yeah, right, both both films, and quite clearly this filmmaker I can't remember his name, has gone for that kind of Western parallels. But it's it's broken up into the same way. It's got the set pieces like Chapter Chapter, the Nazis, the scorched Earth and not quite a set piece. It's linear, yep. But yeah, certainly you could see Tarantino's hands in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your three favorite films, let's have a chat about those we had down by the Law.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: In my kind of you know, twenties thirties, I was really in an art house. I'd mainly just go to art house films, and I developed a bit of a taste for Jim Jimoush and Dumblow. I don't think i've seen it again, so it's kind of hard to recollect. But you know that a film experience stays with you for those not for me. Tom Waits is in it. Three guys are all kind of escaping from a prison in a deep South. It's a road movie really of these three guys kind of and shot in black and white. It's very slow paced.
Speaker 2: As as as I'm trying to remember if I've seen it, I did. I was a bit late at Jim Jimmoush. Yeah, and they jumped in around and Ghost Dog the Way, the Samurai with Forrest Whittaker and the Bill Murray one Broken Flowers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed until the very last shot, which I found a little bit infuriating. But I can't quite remember seeing my Lord. I have a faint memory of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a buddy you know, it's a buddy road movie in a sense, but you really slow. It's comic. It's comic at times. Lots of non dialogue. Music's great. This Tom Waite's music in it. There's other music in it as well. It kind of South music. The other film of his around that time is a film called Mystery Train, which I also loved, and it was kind of four set pieces all set in this one location in a nondescript US regional town that all the events happen at the same time. There's one kind of noise, a sound of a train crashing. I think that connects the four stories. Yeah, I just really liked He's really liked his kind of ponderous story, like ponderous but also still a lot happening, allowing characters to slowly unfurl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad to watch it again.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to watch it because there's there's a part of me. Is there a campfires seen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of them on the road, but also finding kendred souls who put them up. I've got a memory of them being in a house with an old woman and I think of wearing our clothes and stuff. But maybe you know, it's interesting when you have like a really fun memory of a film and there's only just it's just the residue of it that Yeah, I remember walking out, just going I can't wait to see his next film, and Mystery Training the next film, and then I don't think I've seen one of his films since then.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes you do those films where you do have a emotional reaction to it. Within Chinatown last week with Limo, and I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and I think it was just a bit hard for me to really connect with this story about corruption and you know, and I thought was doing while one was doing the laundry behind me, thought, you know. But I watched it again and bloody hell, it punched me in the guts with that ending, and it really it was a really visceral reaction. I had a really visceral reaction to it. I watched last night Asteroid City, the premier of the new West Anderson film. I took my fourteen year old sun Oscar, and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't It was a different experience. I intellectually enjoyed it. There's some laughs in there. I look forward to watching it again. I might say with Wes Anderson, sometimes I'm so taking in all the aesthetics of his films. Then usually I usually grow to like these films more than more I see it. But when that film like, it's two ways you can see a film, the way that it actually gets into your bones and makes you feel something, as opposed to kind of this going admiring a film and it feels like you've had like an emotional reaction to.
Speaker 1: Down by Law.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, Yeah, News Front.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's has come up with We've done Network on this podcast before. We actually covered it with Chris Walker, and it's come up in piles films. But News Front, Ossie.
Speaker 4: The reason this one always sticks out, And again I.
Speaker 2: Would be surprised if there wasn't Nazzi film and you're just three. By the way, I didn't describe you both an intro last week when I promoted you is if Paul Kelly did comedy, you'd be Paul Kelly, which I hope you take as an absolutely.
Speaker 4: I'll let him know we kicked the footage together. Oh that's great. I picked News Front because it was a film I saw, probably you know, my early teens, and it was the first time I was conscious of Australian filmmaking and the Australian storytelling and that really stayed with me. I think I watched it again a few years later but haven't since. And it tells the story of it's the dying day of the newsreel makers as television's taking over. So it's set in the mid nineteen fifties, like televisions are repairing people's homes. But the kind of cowboys who went out making these news stories. They were like at the vanguard of news journalism really, and they're kind of fighting for their patch as TV starts to take over.
Speaker 1: And is Judy Davis in it?
Speaker 4: They might be that the two Gerard Kennedy maybe Bill Hunter. I think they're brothers and they're kind of fighting, you know, ones moving into we should move into TV and the other ones going, nah, this is what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love those transition movies. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: In the Rain, you know, is a great one obviously, of where the Bookie Knights is also covers you know, weirdly similar territory and yeah, just those those moments where something's dying and do you embrace the next thing and evolve and grow or do you try to hang on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most memorably of the roles Chris Haywood. It's the first film I saw him do, and he would have been reasonably young at the time. He would have been in his late twenties. I think he's so great, And yeah, he's so great. He plays, he's one of the journals. He's very funny. He actually like lifts the film to out of the kind of stodgy argumentative stuff into him trying to find stories, and it kind of covers there was some big floods up in the Hunter Valley around that time, and it covers that story and the risks that they take without giving it away. It kind of ends quite tragically, so that one's kind of always stayed with me, and you know, as far as a link between in the same way, the Club did to more to play than the film, because sport has played such a part in my stick life as well as my real life. I remember I did another podcast, right to give a book a film, and I gave the Club and then thought I'd better watch it again. Oh my god, it stinks. Now.
Speaker 2: We watched it with Ben Lee for the first time, and yeah, it's it's an it's a very interesting watch.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's still some things that I that hold up that I like, but there are things that have happened within that aren't necessarily that would be handled very absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, flipping you know, throwaways about domestic violence. Yeah, it doesn't. It doesn't stand up. And the play had more of an impact because mother and Dad used to take us to the theater all the time and seeing you know, seeing sport portrayed artistically for the first time, going oh okay. And it was also a bit shocking, you know, the sleeping with your legless sister scene. I just remember think it was the funniest thing I ever heard, and it was a great But yeah, so the Club sort of in a way, I kind of wish I had time to see News Run again to see if it does stack up.
Speaker 1: The Club, certainly, it's a tricky one. The Club.
Speaker 2: We grew up around a time you know where there was it was a great time for the trail film industry, you know, the seventies eighties that there was an excitement around. I mean, we'mber seeing crocod I've done THEE and far Lap in the cinemas and we really wanted to go.
Speaker 1: We genuinely wanted to go see them.
Speaker 2: And I really hope I'm not sure what, you know, it probably needs you know, more government, you know, taxing centives and investment to make Australia more and more Australian films. But there was a real excitement about those films. Yeah, even something like BMX band it's you know, you know, we joke about it, but it was it was exciting to hear our voices and you know, you know, kind of a weird kind of comedy about something we love on screen. So I don't know what has to happen, but I wish there was that excitement when the same film he's released. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When when I was a kid, my dad was a school teacher and headmaster, and when he was principal at McLeod High School in Melbourne's Northern Suburbs, they used to have a film night once a month and Dad used to always feel like he should go to those things, and so it meant that I was taken to you know, you know, I was probably twelve or thirteen, and I remember I saw The Manifelt to Earth with David Bowie, really graphic stuff. The Tamar and Seed, which was Juliandrews and Sydney Portier, was kind of full front of Juliandrew's nudity and it's like, oh, very popular, what are you doing? Put your gear back on? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Pop that back employees.
Speaker 4: And I think that was the first time I saw news Front was in the environment because they sometimes played Australian films. So I think that's a you know, duty for Australians to get behind their filmmakers and do things like that organized organized screenings because I still do screenings with a merger and people go, I feel like they've just made it because I've never heard of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a duty of all the strains to if you want our stories to be made and get behind them and they come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But particularly there's not just the string filmmakers making you know, American films, but just yet specifically you know, yes, when we're making our stories, you know, and then there is you know, you do we have films like the Satires where there was excitement, you know, so there is there is an audience there, and I think maybe and maybe it's getting that extra funding to be able to push it and keep it in cinemas for a bit longer and different ways.
Speaker 4: It's interesting the Cans Brothers have just got a film. It's going to be part of myth. I think it's called Late Night with the Devil. Oh yes, yeah, I actually auditioned for it, so I was kind of follow it and fans of those guys they did one hundred acres. It's interesting talking to them about the process of they kind of went, oh, we wanted to make a film and obviously this is more remarkable to make it American, even though they had like the main characters they kind of based largely on Don Lane because it's about you know, the whole Don Laane was obsessed with psychics and so it's a bit like that, like taking that idea to a degree and an interesting dichotomy because it's an American in Australia. But yeah, so it's already I think attracting attention overseas because it's set you an American late night games talk show in the seventies. So but yeah, you don't want to have filmmakers to be just making decisions, economic decisions about the stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Princess Brian has come up on this times many many many times, as you can imagine, and we covered it with Lloyd Langford.
Speaker 1: He watched it a fid fast time, Yes, a delight.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well just this weekend it's been playing with the moment sympathy Orchestra. Gatesy Stephen Gates from Tripod was an interview with Kerry Elwis. I don't know if you've read the book. Carry Alis has written a book about the Princess Bride and his stories, and it's inevitably great. But like carry Alis is the least interesting person in the film, and so he managed to render stories that you could tell if Christopher Guest was telling it, it would be infinitely better. Bandy Patinkin. It's just kind of written by the wrong person. But you can still kind of like theater and go, and you know, if you're a nerd fan of the film, it's certainly the film I probably watched the Most Money Path and The Holy Grail. It'd be, you know, too interchangeable. The reason I kind of chose it is I had a really beautiful moment with this film when I was teaching. I used to be a primary school teacher and I retrained to become a drama teacher, and that led to be performing into what you know, what I do? Why I do what I do now? But I always used to you know, I was very creative with my teaching, and I always used to pride myself on the rapport the kids. Would you know, kids, Yeah, I love me in Demo's class, you know, And it wasn't just me trying to be liked. I had an interesting teaching style and you know, I put a lot of work into it. Anyway that this one particular year, there was a kid in a class who I just couldn't I just couldn't bond with. He was he wasn't super naughty, but you know, it was it was a real disconnect. But I'd become friends, a lot of friends, but you know, befriended his parents because our winemakers in the Ara Valley, and like my dad was a massive wine buff and he knew them. And so there was this kind of like, you know, why can't I, Why can't I get through to Jason? What just something about it? And then I was talking to his mom about it, and she was a bit baffled to because I don't know, Damian, like we love you, it's I don't know. We just got to try and find something that he's into, and so so I just said, what he's he into? She went through some set. I really loved the Princess Bride, and I went right, Okay. So the next week I was in the classroom and I just I just got to walk past his desk and I went, my name is a Niga men Dyer. You did my father? And he just looked up and he went back to day. And then for the rest of that week, I just kept walking past his desk and he would start in shading himself. You just go ho, lady.
Speaker 3: Ah blave to blave.
Speaker 1: It was so beauty.
Speaker 4: And then we kind of cracked it. At the end of the year. I was going, I'm going to get the best present like parents and why makers I worked really hard to crack this relationship. Probably get a case of wine. I got a notebook, a blank notebook pack. It's sorry about presence.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. That's not what you teach. That's why you got out of teaching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, case of wine still be.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: A strange comedy is glad you didn't get that case of wine. Let's let's get into it now. This is the movie I hated this.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Let's before we find out what you think. Let's just let's enjoy a little bit more of it.
Speaker 7: You read the Bible writ yes, well, there's this passage I got memoried physication Ezeki'll twenty five seventeen. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny.
Speaker 1: Of evil men.
Speaker 7: Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison.
Speaker 1: And destroy my brothers.
Speaker 5: And you will know my name is the Law when I lay my vengeance of bondy.
Speaker 1: There is some of that violence we spoke about earlier Damien Kwen.
Speaker 2: Then from nineteen ninety four Quentin Tarantino wrote also Roger Avery deserves some credit here because he came up with He had written also some of these stories for another film that he was working on. I think some of it might have been edited for True Romance, directed of course by qt a massive film wins the PALMDI or a couple of oscars.
Speaker 1: Damien Kwen, Did you enjoy pulp fiction.
Speaker 4: More than I thought I would? Yes, yeah, yeah, it start. I particularly enjoyed. It was interesting thinking back to it because I remember at the time, because there's so much talk about film, you can't help but it's collateral, you know, residue bits of brain and skull land on you even if you haven't watched pop fiction. And I remember at the time thinking, ah, suddenly John Travoltz is cool again.
Speaker 2: But the one thing that people don't talk about because Bruce willis also kind of this was a mini comeback. This wasn't a comeback in the Yeah, the guys of you know, on the bigger scale as Travolter, but he wasn't getting kind of the work that he had been.
Speaker 1: He needed a shot in the arm in a way.
Speaker 4: So did it pre date Diehard?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, Diehard is like teen year Diehard's about eighty eight or so, about six years after that, and yeah, but they both did.
Speaker 1: Look who's talking.
Speaker 2: Travolta and Brice Willis, and nobody talks about because Bruce Willis is the voice and Travolta's in there with Kirsty Alley. But yeah, it certainly was and almost became Tarantino's thing of like bringing somebody back, you know, Taren Deine was was in Kill Bill and yeah, so yeah, it certainly was a big thing.
Speaker 4: More I think he's I think he's a standout yep. And yeah, and the dynamic with Sarmon Jackson's extraordinary, or the dialogue leading up to the first executions wonderful, you know, and go and kill time down the end of the corridor, all that kind of like just that perfunctory nature of life as a hitman hitman and what.
Speaker 2: It's because what happened I think after this is a lot of filmmakers started putting in these scenes of people just chatting and talking and about pop culture and you know, yeah, and I'm not sure if they knew what the purpose was sometimes, you know, And and Tarantino, I think what he's doing is he's just humanizing. Like most of the time you have these really violent, you know, and dangerous and tense pieces, but he's really showcasing these people are human and we kind of we kind of grow to kind of like them. We've all been like some of the conversation funny enough, it's almost Seinfeldian, you know, like, you know, is it okay? You can imagine the foot massage being and you know Unfeld episode. Yes, you know, you can imagine George coming back from you know, from Paris and Amsdam and talking about what you know, what they call the quarter pounder. Yeah, it's completely Sunfeld and so and you know it comes around that time when sun Feld you know, yeah, big, yeah.
Speaker 1: But it does humanize the characters.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely does, even though you know, if I was seeing it in nine ninety four the first time, you possibly wouldn't know that it's going to turn as well as it is. But yeah, I knew that was coming. But I still really enjoyed every think that was my most enjoyable sequence of the film was that the car and walk up the stairs and just just dropping dropping stuff here and you're learning a little bit about the characters as you go to in their background and yeah yeah, but also the dimness of Samuel Jackson's worldview. Yes, they're talking about his Oh what's Europe like? It's like he's never it's a very American American. Well what's Europe like? I've never thought about it? And talking about it from the perspective of the burger chains.
Speaker 1: Let's have a listen look because it is obviously it's funny.
Speaker 2: In a movie that has so many great set pieces, it's still sometimes the dialogue that gets coming quite at the most. Just have a little listen to that conversation with John Travolda and Samuel Jackson playing Vincent and Jules.
Speaker 4: But you know what funny thing about Europe is what it's a little differences. I mean, they got the same ship over there that they got here, but it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's just there. It's a little different.
Speaker 5: Example, all right, Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer and I don't mean just like a little paper cup.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about a glass of beer.
Speaker 4: And in Paris you.
Speaker 7: Can buy a beer in McDonald And you know what they call a quarter pound orhich cheese.
Speaker 1: Parent They don't call it a quarter pound or a cheek. I mean they got the metric system. They don't know what the fuck a quarter pound is, and what do they call it? They call it Arryal, which is right, Yeah, oh it's you.
Speaker 5: That's what they call it, Big Mac, Big Max, big Mac, but they call it love big macin a big.
Speaker 1: Put it go.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I didn't joan to Burdick.
Speaker 1: That that reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it does give us great Uh yeah, we're learning a bit about it. But it is character informing, not just because you know the reason you just said, but also it tells us that Vincent has come back from you know, from being three years away and from Amsterdam. You know, it's not a coincidence that they've chosen Amsterdam because he is he's pretty sloppy.
Speaker 1: He's a sloppy hit man.
Speaker 2: He's not when they go and get the guns out, I think it is his job to kind of organize the guns. And he realized they should have had shotguns, not quite even sure how many people are in the apartment.
Speaker 1: So there's these things that kind of tell us that that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's both of them, really, isn't it, Like, yeah, you're saying it's on, it's on travol I.
Speaker 1: Think that's something that kind of they have that suggests that may.
Speaker 2: Then when he when they're in the room, Jackson Jules is he's taking charge. He's the one running the show where Vincent is in the background having a smoke, and we're happy to requote his you know, his little trivia. He's tippit about the royale of cheese like probably should have checked, you know, check the place out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, through the kitchen drawers. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And something that you may miss. Marvin, the guy who they take with him is is in on this, like he's he's their guy on the inside that they kind of refer to when they're getting the guns out.
Speaker 4: Okay, I did, I did wonder that. But there's a lot of loose.
Speaker 2: Ends anyway, and this is a movie that does allow you that gray areas. I mean, the briefcase is, you know, the biggest gray area of like what is and tearing him is happy for us to but.
Speaker 4: I agree that I reckon there is there's something about Trevalda's character that, ye, maybe he was sent to Amsterdam because he fucked up. Yeah, but he's also he's also questioned things all the time, like he's you know, he's the one who goes to you know, Harvy Cartel, to mister Wolf, you know, just please you know, like he's he doesn't quite handle.
Speaker 2: Ye, Well, it sucks up. It sucks up all the time. Like every time he goes to the toilet, it ends badly. So he goes, he goes to the toilet.
Speaker 1: Uh, basically with.
Speaker 2: When he goes back to MEA's place, comes out, she's od on his he did not take out of his own Jaco pocket.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He goes to the toll he's in the toilet in the restaurant, which we only find out I think a bit later when he comes back out. It's all it's almost a Mexican standoff. He goes to the toilet, and of course he gets killed when he goes to the leaves a noozy yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And yeah, having the time to process all that butt no, and that's quite deliverate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. And and he he also like he does like he makes really bad choices, which is great. This is great.
Speaker 2: You know, Like he takes the boss's wife out and does Heroin beforehand and then like takes takes her back, and even when they dance, but during during the date that he's quite good. And again there's these sin Feldy and lovely Son Feldy and kind of conversations about awkward silences and that are great, But then he goes back and they kind of dance their way through, and there's almost a moment and he knows there's videos, and he's dealing with his boss, who he believes threw a man off all the story of a building because he gave his wife a foot massage, and he's really he's dancing with the devil here, like yeah, and he's he goes to the bar through again. You know, he waits too long, but no, there there are Yeah, there are lots of examples of him that's making the Dancer.
Speaker 4: Certainly a scene that you know, the brain great brain matter had landed on me and was very familiar with. Seeing it in the context of the film was interesting. Yeah. I really enjoyed his performance before it because I mean, obviously he's on heroin, so he's a bit out of it. But it's got a delightful male awkwardness, you know, when you've a woman's never seen your dance. Yeah, yeah, the way because she's looking straight ahead, gunbell straight and he's card looking at the ground and just kind of fidgeting with his face and stuff, which is also the heroine thing. But there is that Okay, what am I going to do here, yeah, but also playing that, as you said, dancing with the devil? How do I what's she going to do? How do I do? And then he gets more and more into it.
Speaker 1: And here, Yeah, he's confidence, you know, grows.
Speaker 2: It's an iconic scene obviously, but he's the way he asks that question when he and he knows and he knows it's a dangerous question to ask. But you know, she comes back from the tall and he promised you'll have something to talk about. I think he wants to talk about and he does it so beautiful that again maybe avoid a bit of eye contact in front of but he asks about did her husband, Marcellus Wallace throw that man off the four throat, you know, the window because he gave her a foot massage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like we know, he believes it.
Speaker 2: And then she just says it back to him and it sounds ridiculous all of a sudden, but it's it's so brilliant the way he plays that because he knows this is kind of slightly tricky territory. But I'm feeling comfortable enough and I've maybe got some stuff in my system that kind of is boosting my Dutch courage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's also he's he he's already had Samuel L. Jackson argue back that it's not a big deal. Yeah, and so it's like it's like testing it again, but he's testing it in the well, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right. You got to argue that Vincent. There's something really subtle that I missed. I must say that.
Speaker 2: You know, I've seen this film quite a few times, but the first few times there's a scene that you could argue kicks this whole movie off, and it's such a subtle moment, but it's Vincent. When Vincent comes into that nightclub and he's now casually dressed because and we don't know why they're casually dress at the stage. He gets explained later on because of the nonlinear format, and he goes he's there to meet Marcellus Wallace. Bruce Willis has just chatted to Marcellus Wallace about you know, you're going to throw the fight and butch Bruce Willis's character it seems to take them. He's not happy about it, and Marcellis Wallace has been got a little bit disrespectful about his career, but kind of just saying, you know, giving him enough to kind of he seems that because he only fears Marcellus, I think he also kind of respects him as well. He seems not necessarily happy that he has to do this, but he's going to get rewarded for it, and he's a reasonable piece with that.
Speaker 1: That's the way I took it. But then.
Speaker 2: A good friend, Vincent walks in and they had this exchange at the bar and Bruce Willis and he calls him mister Poluk or Joe Peluca, which apparently I only don't notice because the research was a reference to somebody who would throw I think there were books like old, really old pulp fiction kind of books about a guy who would throw fights. And so Butch walks out of that room in a very different kind of headspace because of that.
Speaker 1: Because of that interaction, more.
Speaker 2: So than the interaction with Marsalis, is also the theory that it's actually Butch who keys Vincent's car, which he's mentioned earlier did a drug dealer, Eric Staltz, which I love that scene they're talking about somebody keen their car, why they're about the jack up on Heroin, Like it's almost like the guy there's a chance that the guy who keeps your car may may have visited that drug dealer, you know, at some point, you know, potentially, And I think that basically kicks this whole thing off because then Bruce Willis decide he's not going to throw the fire, right, And so I think I think you're right about Vincent. I think he's the most interesting character. I do love Samuel Jackson as well, and we'll get to him, but I think he has potentially he's kind of the he kind of drives this plot. Yeah, And even though I think Jules has the biggest kind of character, as Samuel Jackson has the biggest character arc in the in the whole the film.
Speaker 4: That's interesting because apart from him saying I'm gonna quit, I couldn't say it. I couldn't see what his arc was like. It felt like he was just saying it. I didn't well to be maybe there's some things I missed along the way.
Speaker 2: I would say, for me, he literally kills a man like one of the early you know, he kills me, and he takes a man's life, and in the final scene we see him spare a life.
Speaker 1: So to me, that would be that would be yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess a big, a big shift in his philosophy, and the fact that he's not with Vincent when Vincent gets taken needs that he has walked away. He has walked away, so he has been genuine about it in fact, and that is why died. Why died there's nobody with him. But also it's also Marcellus Wallace's fault because people talk about the coincidence that Bruce Willis kind of comes up and there's Marcellus Wallace at the lights. The theory is that Marcellus Wallas he spoke was was what also because it happens just outside Butch's apartment. So Marcellus Wallace was carrying donuts back with two cups of coffee, so he probably again if Vincent was thicking correctly one take the oozy with you. But he's gone to the toilet, not waiting for Marcellis to get back. There's also a thing about constipation being linked with heroin, which I yeah, so it's these are like the little tiny touches that Tarantino has in the even to the point where there's the drug deal with Eric Staltz, there's talk of balloons and baggies, which this is all over my head.
Speaker 1: I only noticed through research, I promise you. Yeah, same, yeah, So when so when?
Speaker 2: So, basically, cocaine is often I mean balloons or bags or in the vice versa for heroin. So when Emma Thurman finds it in his pocket, she assumes it's cocaine because it's in a bag or whatever whatever matches up with and then it's you know, it's it's chaos because she's just snorted heroin. So it's yeah, but yeah, I think Vincent is. I think Vincent and Jewels are certainly the most interesting characters.
Speaker 4: So it's the key moment for so Jackson at the bulletsmiss then yes, that's it, Yes, the only that's the only epiphany that's coming and going, you know, I need to give this up.
Speaker 2: I think so yeah, because people will talk about pulp fiction and say it's it's it's got no structure, you know, like you throw a structure out the window.
Speaker 1: It's that classic thing.
Speaker 2: And you know this because you know you've written films that you need to know the rules before you break the rules. And and Tarantino is aware of the rules in order to break them, but he also doesn't break them as much as people think like this false kind of story is going on. There's there's the Vincent story, there's a Jewel story, there's the Butch story, and there's the smaller story is the honey bunny. And yeah, at the start, but they've all got like an inciting incident, they've all got a climax. You know, they've all got everything that you need to make a story work. It's just the non linear kind of gives it, you know, a different.
Speaker 4: Not set off the trails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jaws is a flashier character than Vincent.
Speaker 2: I think he's better at his job and he's more focused on his job. I think it's great that you have that mix. You know, you don't want two people nailing their job. You want to have that kind of you know, you want to make two characters who work together exactly the same. But it's a great performance and he I do love the quoting the Bible, which apparently is only like half it's accurate and the other half is kind of not.
Speaker 4: Ven twisted to Yes, okay, but I like that.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure if Jawles is supposed to kind of if he knows, if he knows his had living or if he's got that from somewhere else and believes it it actually is. And I do like the fact that he acknowledges I just thought it was something cooled to say before I knock somebody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I must submit that I did like that moment. That's his that's his spiel. Yeah, but there's nothing behind it, like as part of you when you hear it the first time is has he somehow use the scriptures to justify the heinous things that he does? But then later on he's going, now it just sounds cool. It's the sound of his own voice.
Speaker 1: He's living in the gangs's paradise or.
Speaker 4: Almost to build himself up to the moment too.
Speaker 1: What do you the briefcase? Do you have thoughts? Did you want to know? Where you?
Speaker 2: Did you like this kind of ambiguous that we never really found. It is the mcguffin of the story. For those who don't know mcguffeity is something that he's almost an object that he's helps strive the plot forward, but doesn't end up having any kind of impact on the multie Falcon is a.
Speaker 4: Famous well, it does in the sense that you know he's not prepared to give it up at the end. So drives his drives their decision making rather than the pluri suppose. But now I was happy not to know what it was. I mean, you know, the the glowing gold obviously goes to the obvious, but you know, did you have thoughts of what us it could be?
Speaker 2: Well, when I first saw it, not really, and then pretty quickly after seeing it, there was this theory that I quite like. And the Tarantinia has said everyone can make up their own mind, which I love. You know, there's there's theories that it was because Tarantinia likes to kind of build this like universe.
Speaker 1: These movies are a little bit linked.
Speaker 2: So it could be the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs, it could be it could be this gold jacket.
Speaker 1: Worn in true romance.
Speaker 2: I like to think there's a lovely theory that it's actually Marcellus Wallace's soul. So the idea is that the combination is six sixty six and Marcellus Wallace has his band aid at the back of his neck, which I'm we were going to say is where his soul was kind of extracted from, and that the when they go to that apartment, that they are the Devil's kind of henchmen and and hence the divine intervention.
Speaker 4: You know, so is this your theory?
Speaker 1: That's not my theory. This is a pretty big theory out there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Avery, Rod Dravery and grittin Tarantino have not you know, I think they kind of kind of light the theory, but I don't think it's necessarily what they had in mind. Apparently the band aid at the back of Marcella Was's head having Raim's of course, is he had like there's some kind of scar that he has and they're just covering it up.
Speaker 4: I mean, all right, he's my theory. Yeah, the band aid he shows, he shows his own skull with a razor strop and keeps sneaking it. And in the briefcase is a golden razors trup that he's he's imported from Amsterdam, a golden Epple lady and he's just waiting it's getting it delivered.
Speaker 1: It could be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not a strong theory. Let's be frank, it's a theory.
Speaker 1: It could be a Hawthorne jumper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wallaby's jersey from twenty two years ago when they were good to Golden signed Golden Bee, Golden Egg. Yeah, signed signed by good players.
Speaker 1: The last time we beat the All Blacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do love I do love that Tarantino doesn't He's confident enough not to answer all the questions.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people think and I'm not sure it's happened when you've written films where producers have gone what you're asking these questions? What are the answers to these questions? And I always think movies should be more about asking questions and answering them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, there's a lot of things when you're writing film that you sometimes you leave side past to things that no one's ever going to ask questions about. Yeah, and that's part of the fun of it, you know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Bruce willis again great, loved it. What do you think of Bruce Butch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting hearing that Jerry Paluka theory because he was definitely completely subjugated in that first scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: With Wallace, he's he's he's like a dog that's rolled over. Yeah, completely, Yeah, I feel like he's he's completely on. Yeah, it's not sure he has and I missed that moment, but yeah, that the moment which on Travolta, it's like the Fighter, the Fighter re emerges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's a theory with the go about the Vincent and the kind of in that scene at the point of that that Vincent is sent Marcellus likes Vincent is almost like a mascot. He's a fun guy to hang out with. He's not the best sit man necessarily, but he's a fun guy. And all of his jobs are kind of there for him. That's to keep somebody company, you know, Like and that scene, don't see me, they're talking about royal with cheese. He's the Jewels is going to take care of the job. That's go along with him. You just go along with him. So yeah, he's driving that conversation. You know, he's keeping Jewels company.
Speaker 4: Until the next appointment exactly, and it's very much out it's like an appointment.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and then take my man out of town. Can you keep my wife company? Just be entertaining, just be he's the guy. Yeah, he's the guy who is here to entertain. So when he goes there, you know, Marcellus is the one who breaks it up by kind of saying, you know, you know, Vincent get over here and there's and it's like it's like we actually be Marcellus like that with anyone else. It's almost like Jovi, You're like, great to see him hugs. So I got to like that when you when you view Vincent like that, he's kind of there. He's a fun guy to have around, and.
Speaker 4: All bullies are like that. There's a I lived it. We went to the same school, Paraye College, and you know, there was more more bullies than school counselors.
Speaker 1: And there was there was.
Speaker 4: There was one going in particular I remember is the two at our school. The junior schools came together, you know, and thel the Elfhington School and the Bundura School combined and Alfington were definitely the alphas and we've bunder a kids like oh jeez, I go on the first camp. There was one bully who was like you know, he was you know, he'd sit down quadrangle every front. People go to the touch shop for him, like a like a Marthia Kingpin. That was hilarious. We're watching it from the outside and ended up on camp. His glass and mine came together and so I'm either going to be a victim or anyway. I did something funny in front of him and he loved it, and he just kept like I just get someone to knock on the cabin. I won't give him his name. He wants he wants you to come and entertain him. And I'd have to go out and just be funny again just to take out to Princess Brighte. So even those people get lonely, you know, it's part of the power too. But he just loved, he loved having me around. You're is Vincent Vager until a few years later, but that's another story we won't go. But yeah, I like I like that reference to him being when everyone loves to be around. Yeah yeah, and probably me or too. It's like like him on him over Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's known within the organization has been that the fun guy, good company. I do like about this film that that you know, you can kick things off by straight away by there's been a crime instantly. But the fact that it is like Vincent's words to Butch to kick this things off. I like it when small things become big things. Yeah, you know, and there are you know, there are coincidences in this film, you know Butch running in their marselves. Like I said, I think it's maybe it's less coincidence and then then people realize if once you realize that he may he probably should have been with with Vincent. But they do go into a porn store. You know, I'm not sure if every porn store has a gimp at the back. Yeah, yeah, I mean I know, I usually go to cash converters and I always check which Yeah, I always go in the back way, just to make sure.
Speaker 1: What do you make? What did you make? I mean, that's the big choice.
Speaker 4: That's the worst coincidence in it. Yeah, yeah, I think so as far as I want to have this set piece in here, and I mean it does it does work as a plot device because it brings and whiles together and a moment of atonement, So it works on that level. But yeah, it's like it was a give in the cage. Just it's funny. But yeah, but what's the game?
Speaker 1: What's the game's purpose? Because he's kind of the other two.
Speaker 2: Take Wallace in and you know, the awful stuff happens, but then the game's kind of chained up still.
Speaker 4: I think it's a yeah, he's supposed to watch him, but to watch him. I think it's just part of their kink that they've got a pet pet and someone who's gets off on it. Yeah, right, Channing him up is interesting because like if he does get away, as as proved, he couldn't do anything, Yeah, because.
Speaker 1: Is pretty quickly in the end he does give me one you know, smack him in the mouth, and then and he's done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which which also shows that this guys like, yeah, he's you're physically useless. He's just a cowd Yeah. Yeah, yeah, you're appendage to the disordered ship that they do in their basement.
Speaker 2: And which goes to leave and then decides which is maybe the most likable character, the most like a character in the film, You think, Yeah, I think so, I like that the because you know, we do like Vincent, but he has the better morals, I think in the film.
Speaker 1: He goes to leave and decides not to.
Speaker 2: This film is little with people kind of reacting slowly, which I find kind of funny. Like he goes decides to go back whilst Whilas is still being in Let's rape, Yeah, and the sides slowly come of the size. He picks up a hammer first case, and that probably would have got the job done, and then he got he finds a baseball bat, and then he finds the change the mini chainsaw, and then he sees the saurai.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just get And also it's also Tarantino exploring, Oh, they're in a porn shop, so of course there's gonna be all these options. What else was you know, a medicine ball? What else is? Yeah the comic and me would have liked something that completely useless and him summing it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's have it all. Listen to how that all ends with Marcellis and Butcher. Right now, what there? Let me tell you whatn't there.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna call a couple of hard pitting the niggas to go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talking here, Billy boyd, I ain't dough with you, my damn sight.
Speaker 1: I'm'a take medivil on your ass.
Speaker 4: And what now between me and you?
Speaker 6: Oh that wasn't now?
Speaker 1: I tell you what now?
Speaker 4: Between me and you?
Speaker 1: There is no me in you?
Speaker 6: Oh not no more?
Speaker 4: So we call.
Speaker 1: Yeah we cool?
Speaker 6: Two things. Don't tell nobody about this. This ship is between me, you and mister soon to be living the rest of his short ass life and agonizing pain rapist. Yet it ain't nobody else's business. Two, you leave town tonight right now. And when you're gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. You lost all your l a privileges deal. Yeah, get your ass out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna get made, even on your ass. It's one of my favorite minds.
Speaker 2: Americans do love that on your ass kind of thing. Your ass is mine, you're you know, there's a lot, a lot of.
Speaker 4: Thoughts to put together there. So like he knows, he knows that that was that was the time. They're really good at that ship. Yeah, Mediev great, great line. Yeah, but this this is interthing I was thinking about yesterday. I think you're right. Bruce Bill Is probably is the most likely. But he still has a violent scene with a woman. Yeah, and every woman in this film is subjugated. She's a patsy to a violent man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even me, who seems empowered is still Yeah, and you never see her and while it's actually talking, and the only time you see it, I think them together, You see them together when he's on the phone there obviously in some kind of resort or their own home by the pool, but you know he's on the phone, Jesus there, so yeah, absolutely that I'm some think of the other women in the.
Speaker 1: In the movie.
Speaker 4: Bruce Will's part of that, the French. It's a character, Fabian, Fabian. It's beautiful character and a lovely dynamic. But and you know, at least he walked back his aggression, like he realizes, not it's not your fault. It didn't make it clear enough. And yeah, the whole Christopher walkins scene.
Speaker 2: As a as a history history in war buff What did you make of the the what story from Christopher wa Look?
Speaker 4: You know it was it was it was convenience to it. I don't know, it felt it felt a little gratuitous.
Speaker 2: The thing I remember watching it kind of go almost feeling the exactly the same thing, and I thought, why you know, but he pays off and you kind of go, you do need What is something that brings Bruce Willis back to the most dangerous place in the world for him right now.
Speaker 1: He needs that.
Speaker 2: It needs It probably can't even be I mean, it could be a large amount of money, I guess, but it's more fun and more humanizing, human humanizing that it's something that it's a family that's been passed from generation from generations and has gone through wars to be in his possession and he needs to protect that. Absolutely, I And it's probably this And in the end, it's you know, in the moment, you might be going, this just seems a bit weird and you know, but it's in the end it's well, ut least they've.
Speaker 1: Told it in an entertaining way.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, And I must have been when when he has that meltdown with her, I was like disappointing another scene where but then as he walks it back and then even right to the end with her coming downstairs and her just being worried about the stuff, and he's just like, we just need to go. Yeah, you know, our lives are imperilled and you're worried about Yeah, but he's still.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's okay, you know, yeah, even as the audience you are going.
Speaker 4: Please, it doesn't matter where it came from.
Speaker 2: But again that you mentioned that you mentioned the conversation I had earlier where it's it's it's just again it's a very humanizing conversation about she she wants to pop belly. And again you know, like the silences and the you know, the royale of cheese. This is another example, between these kind of horrific moments, these people are humans, living lives, having silly conversations. That'll be producers, no doubt, who would fight Tarantino, for example, on that do you need that scene? Can we shorten that scene? And the fact that he kind of commits to it too long, I'm not listen. I'm not somebody as much as I am concerned every Oscar season, every you know, every film that's for the best Oscar scenes to be two and a half three hours, And I kind of go, I want to see all these films, but this is going to take me a while. Yeah, it's sits a right with me, Yeah, it's right with me. I'm trying to think what you would lose. You'd lose some of those magical moments, I think, yeah, And I don't want to lose any of that tension of Bruce willis creeping back across those empty car yards to get through his house, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to keep those So I.
Speaker 4: Think there's a surprise. I think that because that last scene is so long. Yeah, that's where I started to go. And I was also a bit toy and gay, I have to go and see another Violet film. Quite soon. So so maybe it was that I started.
Speaker 1: Come on that was coming off Asteroid City and then kick this along.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: I really, I really like this film.
Speaker 2: I I understand why it's become And I think because I saw I was over in London when I first heard about at least spoke to somebody who had seen it. I didn't see it over there, but I think they maybe saw it at Kahn and they said it is amazing. And then you know, won the Pandi or over there, and I really liked Reservoir Dogs, so I was like really curious to see what he was going to make next. Reservoir Dogs is largely shot first Dogs. It's largely shot in the warehouses. There are some outdoor scenes, you know, Yeah, but it's you know, obviously it's it's a great lesson and you know, I've got I've got a million bucks. Yeah, how do I make this work? It's not a violent breakfast club. And then to see him have a bit more. I think this was shot for eight million dollar budget. Yeah, a little bit of that went to Bruce Willis, and the biggest expense they had was the creating the building, the jack Rabbit slims.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, which is great and such fun.
Speaker 2: Steve Ashimi is buddy hole, which I must say, I only doing a bit of deep diving.
Speaker 1: Did I realized that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I looked at kind of headshots of casp before her Man, and I was expecting that the Garadal would do more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great that this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what do you think of mister Wolf Harvey Cattel and he's his presence and he's.
Speaker 4: I really liked it. Yeah, I really liked the idea of instantly Samuel L. Jackson recognizes their imperiled. Yeah, you know that this mistake because most of the time there's a there were there appears to be a fearlessness about him and them, and then all of a sudden, because of that, he just went, Okay, we're in trouble hill, this is out our realm. We need we need some help. And it was it was actually really interesting thinking about that, going okay, it's about not telegraphing.
Speaker 1: What they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the two guys in black suits, they could be in they could be funeral directors. But all of a sudden, blood all over the car, We're in trouble. So yeah, I liked it. I liked you know, I like the detail of mister Wolf. Times times not on our side, but I've got time for a down, find coffee, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked I liked it.
Speaker 2: There's another little bit where he has a sip of his coffee and he can gives him a nice little and this is nicely remember getting a laugh in the cinema.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, just yes, I was what I was waiting for, what the reaction of me, because their reaction was so big and it was I really liked it.
Speaker 1: It was just a.
Speaker 4: Eyebrows up, so grateful.
Speaker 2: You know, again, just to add a little bit of tension, you know, let's talk to me about respect and you know, and and and I think it's a great response for mister Wolf just to kind of go, I'm sorry if I'm not, but the time is of the essence, and yeah, we need to get moving.
Speaker 4: Also liked when he when he kind of went through this is what we're going to do. I kind of went, oh, I could have done that. They could have thought of this themselves, but it wasn't until you saw the car, Yeah, with the with the those blankets around, you go went, oh, this suddenly just transforms this into something utterly harmless like an old couple's car or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the visual at the end of it. Ah, okay, it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got Tarantino in that scene as well, and he's he's passable as an actor. It's clearly like, yeah, the you know, the the worst performance in the you know, and like I said, it's not it's not terrible, but it'd be interesting to see if you had it had a been I.
Speaker 4: Think the jokes would have landed better with a comic actor. But yeah, he was better than I thought he would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's dogs and I think he's more passable.
Speaker 4: Is that one of his longer cameos or yeah he did.
Speaker 2: He didn't austrain accident in I think they hateful late or Django unchained one of them and it was it was awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was kind of awful. Yeah, he's just a bit thin with the acting. I don't know, he just doesn't you know, he's kind of fine, but you know, you put another actor in there, maybe.
Speaker 4: Performances around him. Yeah, that hold it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely doesn't fall apart. Yeah, not at all. I've got some fun facts before we wrap it up. The character of Vincent Viga was originally going to be Vick Vega, which is a character from Reservoir Dogs played by Michael Madisden, and he decided to do wider instead with Kevin Costner, so they just kind of re tweaked it and made it a new character, Vincent Viga.
Speaker 1: The idea was that they were brothers.
Speaker 2: And Tarantina had an idea for later on to do a film with the call the Vager Brothers, which never eventuated. Made for eight million dollars, grossed over about two hundred and thirty million, which is very impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good day. Steve. Have we mentioned Steve his buddy Holly in the Jackrabbit Slims.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of ironic because mister Pink's a great bit of dialogue that opens Resturt Dogs, but mister Pink refuses a tip. There's not tip waiters, So an ironic came. He over there the word fuck, he says two hundred and sixty five times yep. One of the first films to use the Internet advertising seems like a long time ago.
Speaker 1: John Travolda.
Speaker 2: Is a non drug user and said to spoke to some recovering addicts about what it was like to be on Heroin. Is there something he could do to kind of experience something like it without actually doing Heroin? They suggested doing some shot of tequila in a warm bath or a hot bath.
Speaker 1: So he did that with his wife Kelly Preston to.
Speaker 4: Get the ideo of how to act. Yeah, not directly before the scene.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Actually would have been interesting if if I assume he probably did it away because his wife Kelly Presson apparently also joined him. And you know, so, yeah, okay, anybody wants to know what it's maybe we can try that. Let us know how you go, don't you hear? But was originally gonna be played by Matt Dillon because he was going to be younger, and then Willis was pretty keen to play Vincent and was knock back because obviously a pretty hot.
Speaker 4: And Tarantino with a fading aging boxer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I love Matt Dylon, but I think I think you're right. Shortshank Redemption open on the same date. Wow, it's a good day for movies and both nominated for If it's Barbenheimer.
Speaker 4: What's the pulp Redemption?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pop sh sure, pup sure, pup shop pop. I think short pop works. Yeah, we discussed s prefiction, rolls off the tongue. Did you did you enjoy the whole Barbenheimer, I'm not sure if you've seen either first seen Barbie. I've seen both, and I I love this kind of It felt like a celebration of movies and getting back into the cinema to see something that wasn't necessarily I know, I know Barbie's his ip for Mattel and all.
Speaker 1: That, but something that was a marvel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, two movies that were quite different, but the encouragement for people to go see them in cinemas, I know. I kind of felt like the way we can do this a bit more like, yeah, where we can have movies that aren't necessarily in competition with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the studios can actually work together.
Speaker 2: I think studios do need to work together to try to get people back into the cinema.
Speaker 4: And I think it. I was reading a bit about that opening weekend and Barbie quite one everywhere. Both films gross incredibly, but interestingly the cinemas in Australia. Where Oppenheimer didn't was whether they're playing in seventy mil and I've just moved to Yarravil, just near the same cinema, which is where I saw Varby and so they were playing in seventy mil and the projectionist there has had the busiest busiest couple of weeks he's had in a decade. He's pulled the twelve hour days because they're doing three sessions of it and it's bringing it and he says it's about eighty eighty five percent male or the nerds coming out, because I've both heard like if Nolan says it has to be seen in seventy then I've got to see it. And then the blacks so much blacker and all that sort of stuff. So I kind of, yeah, I really like that it's this different ends of the film loving spectrum. And people tried, I know people who tried to pull both films in the one day, and yeah, I think I agree. I think it's good for film. Be great if it was to Australian.
Speaker 1: Films, But absolutely it is.
Speaker 2: It occurs to me that Ryan Gosling may get nominated for an Oscar for his role as Ken, which is I'm not I'm not the only one saying it.
Speaker 1: I'm not necessarily sure it's going to happen. But there's a you know, I thought he was he's amazing in that.
Speaker 2: And but it does if he gets nominated for an Oscar Margo Robbie doesn't, it goes against the machine of the film completely. It is it is a war cry against the patriarchy. And if he gets nominated over Barbie, yeah, I mean, but.
Speaker 4: If he doesn't accept the award on a horse, he really Yeah. Interesting, I thought they were both great.
Speaker 1: They were great.
Speaker 4: I mean, he is just the most surprising. I think it's just a yes, it's a well, well both of them. It's a real balancing act to pull off.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought of I loved and I've spoken the guy Pierce about this, that he went back into the phonal EPI Seven Neighbors and appears that he's doing a little bit more but with so much commitment and gusto and enthusiasm for his old character of Mike, and you know, has every reason not to do it. And you know, other biggest stars, you know, probably there's not too many are the biggest stars than Guy Piers. But you know, Kylie's I think this went back did the minimum amount. That's not even having a go at Kylie for that amazing that she appeared in it, But my guy just went back into so much enthusiasm and lack of ego, and I kind of thought Ryan Gosling, like Oppenheim is happening at the same time, probably been filmed around the same time. At some point you would have realized they've been released at the same time, Like deep down, Ryan Goslin, there's probably a part of it is like would probably preferred maybe be Christopher Nolan film in Oplenheimer, but it's just attacked that role so much, lack of ego, lack of vanity, and this like smashed.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful nuance, it really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's it was such a surprise.
Speaker 4: To remain likable even in that transition the two dimensional patriarchy're taking over. To remain likable through that was an incredible achievement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and really admire Margo Robbie for the project she's getting off the ground and she is fantastic and has remained so down to worth. Yes, Mickey Rock also passed on Butcher because he was focusing on his own boxing career at the time, so he would have liked been that older style boxer and He later regretted that Daniel day Lewis was in talks to play Vincent. In fact, Roger Avery and I think Laurence Bender, the producer, wanted him to play Vincerbit Tarantino was hell bent on using John Travolda, and Jennifer Anderston narrowly missed out in the role as Miya, and Julia Louis Drayfer said no to the role of Miya on account to hearst Seinfeld commitments.
Speaker 4: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: You have an idea, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Amy Sherman nearly played Barbie. Yes, well, there was a previous script.
Speaker 1: Yes, I tried to get up a few times.
Speaker 4: I think it was the last kind of genuine effort. She didn't like where the script had gone, and because also and then had then the rights were relinquished and Robbie picked him up.
Speaker 2: Well another I'm not sure if it's the same project, but Diablo Cody, who wrote Juno Great Writers, she also walked away from it. I'm not sure how far she got into it, whether it was this in talks or a script that had been written. So this was a not an easy production to get off the ground, and Greta Girlwig. As soon as I heard Greta Gerwig was involved and they were bambosh, it was like, okay, well this is I'm seeing it because I'm fascinated to see what they do with it. And yeah, and even if it's just pissing off Sky News and Fox and got on all of them. But mate, this podcast comes with homework and you have nailed it. Let's talk about You mentioned news front earlier and I'm excited to know that you are going to be in season two of The Newsreader. Correct, that is one of the I have The Newsreader series one very high in the Australian TV productions. I Frontline, Blue Murder high level. With that, I've alwaysaid those are the best two things I've seen on the Strain TV. And The Newsreader was so bloody brilliant. Must be exciting to be involved in the second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It's going to play a recurring character in a much loved Austrain production. But my character is like it's he's entirely functional. But it was fun to play that day. I played the floor manager, so nearly everything I do is just clear out numbers or delivering a message to the desk from a phone call from upstairs from Bill mcinness's character or you know. So it's very perfunctory, but it was still fun playing around with that and playing the guy who's just doing a job in the middle of this he has no truck with the egos of the presenters, and being able to play that without any dialog to say it, but just you know, just by looks and you know, remaining calm. So I enjoyed it. Never Freeman, who directed, was a joy to work with.
Speaker 2: I've only heard amazing things about the experience people have on stage with Emma Friedman. I cannot wait to see season two of The News Real. If you everything season one, catch it. It's probably on iView Imagineers on the ABC.
Speaker 4: Look out for Frank Reeves.
Speaker 1: Frank Reeves is coming. He's coming. All the performances on that show brilliant.
Speaker 2: And you have an event coming up at the Comedy Republic for celebrating book week.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: We're doing a bookwork gala. You and I fall into the category of dirty comedians sneaking in on a patch of actual children's authors. So I decided I'd create an event to celebrate that and Karen from Comedy Republic was delighted. So we've got a great lineup of comedy funny people. Claire Hooper is coming, Fronna Harris how from the Ski House, David Lawrence, Penny Tanky, a couple more to be announced, and Andy Griffiths is going to make an appearance on behalf of Few Authors.
Speaker 2: Second, if Andy, I mean, that's yeah, must if you need anyone else, to be honest, but exactly, Andy Griffiths is what well an icon.
Speaker 4: Well Interestingly, Andy and I met doing raw comedy and we've been friends ever since. Break back in the day we did a heat together and I ended up winning and winning, getting to the national final and blah blah blah. But Andy came to my school not long after that when I was teaching, and I booked him and when I saw him went oh, I didn't realize it was him on the day, and we're stayed friends ever since. He asked me to launch one of his books not long after that. Yeah, he comes to all the shows. He launched my book Weird School.
Speaker 1: Weird School available now well now.
Speaker 4: So he's great sports, so he's he's more than happy to come along and pretend We're going to make him comedian for a day Badge because he's always had these illusions. He's just given up on that. I would what if I'd become a comedian. You wouldn't mean it when you're as rich as you are now, is what I would tell you. So great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really I must.
Speaker 2: I really hate it when children's authors, you know, getting the stand up comedy.
Speaker 1: I've had enough.
Speaker 4: I've had enough.
Speaker 1: I've had a goufall, to be honest. Yeah, back of.
Speaker 4: Is our chance. As we speak, there's some children's authors who are chaining themselves to microphones and try it nights, just trying to trying to get in our gear. So they'll be fun at Comedy Republic August twenty sixth, and then I'm going on national tour with my show Double Feature.
Speaker 1: After that Double Feature and that's around I mean when you to, you to you to a large.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is mainly regional VIC, regionally South, and then next year it'll move into Tassian all other capitals.
Speaker 2: Fantasy and like I said, the Paul Canley of comedy put them on a poster. And also you work with my poor Colesia, tell us about you the.
Speaker 4: Wine Bluffs one of our great side indulgences.
Speaker 1: It's been going on for years now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're coming up to February will be our ten year anniversary, so we're going to release Premiership Port. I think we're still going. We're doing doing a couple of shows in November, a long lead in Merchison and then we've got a couple of Barron Bay in January. So yeah, were still battle on, but we're not really plugging it now. We're just keeping there's a bit of a I don't know if you've noticed a bit of resurgence in wine comedy. Merck's out there doing The Idiot's Guide and Ethan Cavanaugh has got a show, so yeah, we're just keeping keeping them on us. We're the original hear that, guys, Yeah, Weather Grange of wine comedy shows. Your boys have just been one two nine.
Speaker 2: Damien callenman, it's always a pleasure to catch up, mate, And as I said earlier, you are the Paul Kelly of comedy, keep it up and if you get a chance, if Damien's coming through your town, your city, do you have a favor and grab a ticket, and particularly if you're in Melbourne during book week on that satellite that runs off bookquake. Get to the Comedy Republic for a wonderful, wonderful day celebrating books.
Speaker 1: Is that all ages?
Speaker 4: Is that? Yeah? I mean at middle ragers like to twelve. You know there'll be ribes and arms. Braying Mole will deal with them.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 4: Now, I ain't giving it to him, Vincent. I'm buying something for my money.
Speaker 5: I want to know when I'm buying, Ringo, what your life? I'm giving you that money so I don't have to kill your ass.
Speaker 1: You read the Bible, Ringo?
Speaker 5: No, basically No, Well, there's this passage I got memorized Ezekiel twenty five seventeen. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherd's the weak through the valley of darkness, For he is truly his brother's keeper and the Finder have lost to children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
Speaker 1: And you will know I am the.
Speaker 5: Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you. I've been saying that shit for years, and if you heard it, that meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I just thought it was some cold bloody shit to say to a motherfucker before I popped.
Speaker 1: A cap in his ass.
Speaker 5: And I saw some shit this morning made me think twice. See now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and now I'm the righteous man, and mter nine millimeter here he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish, and I like that.
Speaker 4: But that shit ain't the truth.
Speaker 1: The truth is.
Speaker 4: You're the week.
Speaker 5: And I am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Reno, I'm trying real hard.
Speaker 4: To be the shepherd.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: I felt pulp fiction was our white whale. We needed to find somebody who hadn't seen pulp fiction. I really enjoy watching it again. It's a movie I've seen a few times, like many of us have. It's also a movie that if it's on I'd tend to watch if not to the end, but certainly you know, up until the next kind of chapter point.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I really enjoyed that. That was really fun. That was really fun. Damien is great company.
Speaker 2: I've always you know, we don't bump into each other as much as we used to, but it's always very comfortable when we do.
Speaker 1: So thanks for doing your homemak, Damien.
Speaker 2: One thing what you mentioned that about pulp fiction is is probable often ask the title the title does refer to a soft, shapeless, massive matter, and that that kind of is what the movie kind of is what you think you're watching, this kind of shapeless thing. People talk about pulp fiction not having a structure, but the genius I think of pulp fiction is it reveals itself to have a beautiful structure that makes complete sense eventually.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Another thing is that Vincent is often reading pulp fiction on the toilet because he's constipated because of the heroine.
Speaker 1: Great film. Great film. There's so much the deep dive about that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we miss some stuff, but I hope we entertained you guys today, particularly pulp fiction fans, and if you're not a fan of though it's not for everyone. You know, Tarantina is not for everyone, but maybe if you hadn't enjoyed it, maybe we gave you some new insights. Also the suitcase glowing, there's a film called Kiss Me Deadly, which people think it's an old film which has a suitcase which glows.
Speaker 1: People in that film kind of react.
Speaker 2: They're almost mortified, as opposed to in pulp fiction where they're almost super impressed. Tarantino has said that despite seeing that film, it's not the tour not connected in any way.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Next week on the show, we haven't there's a few guests I'm talking to, so I haven't got an announcement for the next week. I'll put it on Twitter or Instagram PJ Hallier, and I'll let you know who the guest is and what movie will be covering. I should be able to hopefully confirm that before this even episode is out. Until then, bye for now. Please shump on our iTunes and give us a rating, leave a message review. I recommend five stars. I would love to read your reviews. It keeps the algorithm going. Also jumping out speak part throughout the pages. We'd love to get some messages going throughout the show, okay, thanks for listening, take care, and so we leave.
Speaker 1: Old Pete save Mansul.
Speaker 4: And to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.