Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms, this is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: You're with Flex and Frooms and not the mouth sounds.
Speaker 3: What mouth sounds?
Speaker 2: We both saw its liber at the same time was gross. Yeah, ill yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I listened back to our podcast. As you know, I'm an avid libe.
Speaker 2: I don't think you want to call out any quirks we have because you're gonna make You're gonna ruin everyone's listening experience.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not going to I'm just saying maybe in some earlier episodes, I wasn't taking the advice of the overlords, and I was eating chocolate within brakes and the.
Speaker 3: Mouth was gone, glug glug, glug glug. Three thousand.
Speaker 1: So any listeners that have stood the test of time and listening front to back, thanks Pam, It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Flex and Rooms on kat FLEXI.
Speaker 1: There is obviously a difference between the generations. Current generations alive include Gen Z millennials, gen X boomers. Is there only one above boomers? What about the COVID bat oh and baby cease? Is it called gen Z?
Speaker 2: What's gen Alpha?
Speaker 1: I think that's from ages ago? When did they start bringing in these generational.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I don't. I don't. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Rookie, our producer has sent me this video to play. It is about generational differences with rudeness.
Speaker 4: So I find the generational difference between what's considered rude and what's considered polite very fascinating, because for boomers, it's impolite to put your elbows on the dinner table, whereas if you're a Gen Z or even a Millennials, considered rude not to say, go piss girl when someone's going to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: I mean, did that give what I thought I was going to give?
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to be a boy?
Speaker 3: In depth, what do you think is like?
Speaker 1: For example, I still think it's I think it's rude to not open the door for anybody. But in a past life with a gen before boomers, I think.
Speaker 2: Let's call them old people.
Speaker 1: No people.
Speaker 2: Well, you're confusing me. You know what a boomer is, So you're saying, Jim before, what's before a boomer and boom boom? Is that older than a boomer or younger than.
Speaker 3: Boom and the boom dog? Yet older the generation?
Speaker 2: Just say older people, old elderly because it's.
Speaker 1: The fact the elderly community, it would have been rude, like to not open the door for a woman, whereas now I think it's rude to not open the door for anybody. Correct, So there's a change there. And then the elbows on the table. I still think it's when I'm with polite company, Like if I'm going to meet a partner's parents, the elbows are not on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that phrase polite company. And it's interesting though, because I feel like people would argue that, you know, it's like it's a gray area what's considered rude because we have like different social norms. But it's like in the right and I'm saying right broadly, but in certain environments, you know what will fly. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it's right now, I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Hold my hand, you're threading your fingers with your toes, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because that's the kind of environment that flex has created. Listen, I say politeness should be more encouraged in this crazy, crazy world. People are definitely too comfortable with speaking from personal experience. I'm happy to bear that cross for who I've decided to become as a young lady.
Speaker 2: I think there should be more politeness, but I think in this instance, like rudeness is more commonplace, and I don't think they are equal in opposites. So for example, like I think people do pretty well with being polite, especially in Australia. I don't think that, like I'm concerned that when I walk into a store, I go into an establishment, that I'm going to interact with an impolite person. If anything, people are extra paranoid about being polite, and common space is at the point where it's like, okay, relax, like lay off a little bit. But I think rudeness is a thing that has been like exponentially amplified in a way that we don't know what to do with that information. Like when somebody is rude to you, I would have thought that like back in the day, you'd be like, oh, don't you know that's inappropriate? You know, you can't speak to your elders that way, don't you know you can't speak to your teacher that way. Don't you know you can't whatever? And now it's like a free for all. That's interesting that I think is really odd because you know, and it's like not just culturally like being from Gharna. But just like I remember in primary school or in high school, you had to be mindful of how you spoke to your teachers, and only the really naughty kids spoke back. It was like damn, like you would really speak back to a teacher whoa like that is next level. And now you know, you hear horror stories from teachers being like I get threatened every day by students. There's nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've all got phones to record you. Oh you know.
Speaker 1: I feel like they can push teachers because they know that teachers can't like hit the more abuse them or they lose their job.
Speaker 2: Well that's it. And I also think there's this conversation about morality that comes up a lot, and I don't know if it has anything to do with like like not the lack of religion, but just like the lack of influence on religion and this idea that we live in quite like secular environments, people kind of just like do what they want, Yeah, create their own rules, create their own rules, which is good, but also in the same vein, it's like what is the norm you fall back on? Because if there's no consequence for rudeness, then there's also no motivation for politeness either, because you kind of get to this neutral point where it's like I can be polite all I want but doesn't beget politeness, and I could be rude all I want and it doesn't beget rudeness. I just get to operate in the way that I want to. And I think what's really tricky is that, like we're coming out of this era of this hyper individualism, and I think we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be coming out of it.
Speaker 2: I think we are in some respects. I think that like we're reaching or we're becoming really aware of the consequence of this hyperindividualism. People are way more lonely than they are before, socially isolated, depressed, without their community groups, unable to you know, like people are dying and like not being uncovered. People are going missing at higher rates, and so like everyone's like, oh whatever, it's another one gone. And I think what's gonna happen is that at one point people thought it was like a government responsibility, like you need to make us feel like a community, Like you need to put in measures so like we look after each other. And then people are gonna realize, like on a day to day, you really got to like back yourself. And I think we're going to move into this like collectivism wherever I's like, no, I really am part of this community. I'm part of this body, and for that reason, how I behave impacts my other people. I gotta hold my own a little bit better. I've got to be like the role model, and I've got a model behavior that I expect from people around me, or at least I've got to encourage behavior that I want to see. Because as weird as it is for someone to call you out, as weird as it is for someone to be rude to you, it's even weirder to have someone call out rudeness. Don't you think if I was like that was really impolite for me to be like WHOA like damn, Like I didn't really know. But I think that's almost what's required in some ways, Like we've got we've like dusted our hands off this like mutual community responsibility. It's like whatever, like she's a freak, but like I don't really know her. It's like, well, like that's your coworker, or like, oh he's he always says that stuff, but like he's my my friend's boyfriend. It's like, well, he's part of your community, babe.
Speaker 3: So I just I just feel like.
Speaker 1: We are channeling all of our rudeness, so we get our little fix of being fucking rude, and then we can go and pretend to be polite in real life. I think we're getting our pent up anger out into the metaverse, if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also think people are pretending to be rude online as well. I think it was like a social currency. I don't think people want to be as salacious and as vicious as they are. I think it's just like they're following the mold.
Speaker 3: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Humor has gone to be really rude, and like all these different things have like been encouraged and amplified and like rewarded. Nobody gets extra, nobody gets top comments are being sweet? True, you get top comment by being a feral cow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But it's gonna change soon.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 1: So I'm ready for the new wave new wave fleck Ands. I don't know about you, but I think it's quite common to have dreams about your partner cheating on you. I think it's in the same realm as your teeth falling out.
Speaker 2: Isn't that common?
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty common. Yeah, is it?
Speaker 2: My face? Do that? Before? Literally, when I was in a relationship, I was the one cheating in my dreams. Look Brookie, we loved that one.
Speaker 3: Brookie gets them.
Speaker 2: Stand by Brookie, like I would say, the biggest liability of the trio is Brookie, followed by Freemi and then me. But I stand by Brookie. I'm gonna follow her to the end. I didn't know it was that common. See, Like as we know, before I went to psychotherapy when I was like twenty eight, twenty seven. I'm happy to.
Speaker 3: Share the age when I was twenty eight. How old are you now?
Speaker 2: Twenty eight? But like I'm at the end of twenty eight. Anyway, I used to have nightmares every time I would sleep right, and so I was like, oh, that truly normal. Turns it's not normal. So, but the themes of my dream were always so like abstract, like the apocalypse. Not like I didn't have regular dreams like oh, I'm going to the grocery store. My partner's cheating on me. That would be terrifying, like the normal ones that make you confused about your regular life. I never thought the apocalypse was coming when I that Bondai Beach was flooding.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I had tsunami dreams.
Speaker 1: But this is all about dreams about your partner cheating, which can be upsetting.
Speaker 3: According to Wiki.
Speaker 1: How, but how has good expoundations. Number One, your partner might not be giving you enough attention, and it's very easy for them to get wrapped up in work and other commitments and not notice that they haven't spent enough time with you. But being open with your partner about how you feel is really important. Number two, be needy. You feel jealous of someone, so maybe they've got a work crush. You know, it's not the craziest thing in the world for your partner to create on you, cheat on you.
Speaker 3: To create on you. What is that?
Speaker 1: Number three, you're unsure about the future of your life a work wife?
Speaker 2: Is that what I said?
Speaker 3: You said like a work crush?
Speaker 1: No work wife? Okay, yeah, work wife. You want your partner to get along with someone. That could be why you're trying to think about how your partner will fit into your social life and dreaming that your partner cheat on you with someone important. You might be your brain's silly way of processing the hope that they'll get along. This has happened before, my friend telling me she had a dream about me cheating on her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I think that's a warning, and she said not in the stelling, so you don't get any ideas.
Speaker 1: I did feel a bit like that, but that's what you know. I think there's a reason, so you should invest to get the reason. Don't always take your dreams seriously, as I've been saying the last few weeks. I've been writing down my dream since the start of the year. It's now three months in and the note is very long and they don't mean anything, but they definitely helped me find some separation between the waking hours and the sleeping hours.
Speaker 2: I will say, what could be a potentially very exciting but manipulative thing to do is to tell these people about the dreams that you're having and see if they react. So let's say I told you through me that I found out. No, I didn't find out, but I had a dream that you were sleeping with my crush watching. Your response could be either really validating or telling, you know, like if you were like, oh my god, which one show me a picture? No, I don't want to show your picture you had stay.
Speaker 3: Away repent Keita Flex and froomes.
Speaker 2: Flex and frooms. Am I the asshole for not giving my boss my first class seat? That is the question we're answering today on FLEX and frooms. Listen to this. Yesterday, my boss and I we was flying home from a conference. We're on the same flight, but our original seats. We're not next to each other. I'm a frequent traveler on this airline and use their credit card, so I often get free upgrades to the first class. I got upgraded on this flight. My boss didn't. After the flight, when we were collecting our bags, she said she wanted to talk to me about my lack of respect for protocol. She thinks that because the company paid for my original ticket and she is more senior than me, I should have given her the first class seat. I think this is absolutely insane. While the company paid for my seat, it's my own personal credit card spending and frequent travel that earned me the upgraded seat. Is this some sort of corporate standard I'm not aware of. Am I the asshole here? When I read that, I said, hold on a second. This is why we need to bring back the etiquette thing. I was talking about because Yeah, in some cultures, it would be seen as appropriate to like respect the authority or the quote unquote superior in this situation. But it's far more complex. Why because we live in a lawless society.
Speaker 1: It's definitely an insane scenario. I would say, E've been out there rucking up debt quite potentially to get this special privileges on the plane.
Speaker 3: They're encoroaching on your civil liberty. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And either your boss doesn't understand how you cocked the upgrade and it's kind of like, oh, like it was just like a like a randomized thing where it just happened to be on your seat, but it could have been anyone on the booking. I can understand that kind of mishap where it's like, Okay, one person on this book can get to first class seat, give it to your boss. That makes sense. But in this instance that you've earned the upgrade, it's yours to keep. And I will say that's the issue with having blurredlines in the workplace. Everybody needs to be comfortable here, la la la la. And now look what happens when I used to work in pr in an office. I remember when I had my performance review, I got pulled up on not going to work outings. And if you know me, and you know, if FLEXI doesn't like for socializing, if I've got a finite amount of hours to give in a week, I want to make sure I'm doing what I want to do and hang out with people that I have to be with by default. Is not that like I want to choose to like, you know, socialize. But during this meeting, my boss was like, rapport is really really important and people want to feel connected to you, and a way that you can do that or accelerate that is by engaging in these like after work out of work activities. And then I was like, but if you're creating an environment that is naturally fun to be in, and you as a boss are focused on company culture at work, we don't have to do all these extracurriculous to make up for what the virole is lacking. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's the like not going to give you a promotion, but we will be going a holy moly, yeah, ipe one. I would think, oh, you should give it to them in case you want a promotion, But nobody likes to kiss us, So just take the flight, enjoy the lobster, enjoy the champagne, enjoy the Emirates lounge. But just know, like you just gonna say, I've been out here popping my booty, yeah, trying to get these flights.
Speaker 2: Yourself, and like I would say, take the go, buy the take the approach of like, oh didn't you know you know, like oh, like you didn't know. I had points like like as opposed to being like I'm so sorry, like I wish it na like it's quite clear what's happened here. Lack of protocol and respect. Don't do it, sis, Let's not make that kind of conversation. You want to fly, you want to fly business. You know what to do, you know what to do.
Speaker 3: Come on, mummy, please please.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio